Kazzee's Road Trip to Easter 2019 – from 1 Jan – 16 weeks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nelliecat
    on

Ooh, and forgot to say I’m making SunnyB’s almond crackers to go with the pate 😁 it’s going to be good!

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

SueBlue
    This thread is so positive and everyone seems to be really enthusiastic. I feel that the Christmas break has fired me up and I feel as enthusiastic as when I first started in January 2017. Your meals sound delicious and I can tell that you’re in the zone to do well this year. Looking forward to getting on track with you tomorrow. Been good for the last couple of days. It’s like starting again for me trying to get the carbs out of my system post Christmas and I feel so hungry! I’ve been off work today and have enjoyed reading the posts and have felt inspired by everyone doing so well.

Nelliecat- well done on losing 3lbs of your post Christmas weight already! Sorry to hear you’ve had a bad day. You sound like you’re getting back in control so well done. I’m dreading my post Christmas weigh in tomorrow!!

• posted by Englishgirlapprox
    on

Hi all. Thank you for the hints and tips. Day 3. Had a good day – eggs for breakfast, soup for lunch…so far so good… then I came back from work to ice my son’s birthday cake. I baked it last night but it broke coming out of the tin today and I could tell by the texture it had gone wrong. So I tried a bit… and a bit more… and a bit more… until I summoned the strength to throw it in the bin. Otherwise I really think I’d have eaten the whole thing, even though it wasn’t very nice! Cross with myself, but determined to have the low carb dinner I’d planned. 😢

• posted by Granny
    on

Thanks for your honesty englishgirl, easy to submit I know – sure it will happen to me and others on our journey. Good on you for sticking to your dinner plan……. onwards and downwards 👍

• posted by alliecat
    on

DCT, Sunny, Granny and Sue; Your gentle wishes have touched my heart, and have definitely made me feel less whiney
    and sorry for myself. I appreciate it so much! I haven’t had so much as a sniffle in 2 1/2 years, so I was probably
    overdue. I’m prone to bronchitis and pneumonia, so need to be careful to not allow symptoms to migrate to my
    chest! Lots of fluids an extra vit C and Zinc onboard.

Englishgirl, birthday cakes are a challenge for most Moms. They are so traditional, and there are just times that
    they can’t be avoided. You have done exactly the right thing not to dwell on it, and just pick up with the program
    at the next meal. It’s very positive that you didn’t write off the whole day! I don’t have superhuman will power
    either..most of us don’t. All it takes is practice, and everything will soon fall into place. If you get tempted, hop
    on the forum and one of us will talk you “down” 🙂

Allie

• posted by Beattie66
    on

Hi, I would like to join the adventures, i did 800 cals for 7 weeks then took a break for various celebrations and festivities and need a focus. Was looking forward to getting back on the boat after December. I have no target weight as don’t own any scales but would like my knees to hurt less as i am v heavy.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Welcome Beatie66 and good morning everyone else! 🙂
    Running a bit late so will see you all a bit later today… 🙂
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Granny
    on

Very happy to report a 2.1kg loss, I know it’s mainly water in the first week but I feel ‘leaner’ and my stodgy belly feels like it’s getting rid of all the sugar yaay! Good luck everyone if your weighing today, going to make my days Fridays and Tuesdays x

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Well done Granny!!

I’ve dropped 1kg since yesterday – As you say it’s most likely water – however my knees don’t care where the weight is coming from!! I’m also feeling less bloated, so I’m happy so far

Just tried a new breakfast which was good – small amounts of bacon, mushroom, spinach & tomato mixed into some whisked eggs and baked in a muffin tray – mine work out at 60cals each and I’ve had three – hopefully keep me full til lunch. I’m trying a few new recipes to keep me going and will post anything that might be worth trying

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Clarinet Cathy – thanks for your kind words – your encouragement has made all the difference to me in the past 🙂
    Good luck with your restart today, looking forward to continuing the journey with you! Can’t believe it’s almost 2 years already, who would have thought when we started back then that we’d still be part of this lovely group 🙂
    Granny – well done! That’s a fantastic loss to start off with!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Red rooster – that’s great you’ve had a loss too, your breakfast sounds lovely. I make something similar too in muffin trays, based on the Simple egg muffin recipe in the book. I line them with a piece of non stick baking paper, then shortcut bacon (so that the bacon becomes the case) and then fill with mushroom, zucchini, tomato, spinach – whatever I have left over in the fridge really. Also sometimes cubes of feta cheese, and/or any leftover grated cheese Then top with a mixture of cottage cheese and beaten egg and bake. They freeze really well and reheat in microwave for breakfast or with salad for lunch. I think they are about 150 calories when baked in a large muffin tray. I made a version today with just smoked salmon, cottage cheese,
    Egg, leek and fresh dill, they work out to be 115 calories. I’m trying not to waste anything, so these muffins, plus soups, are a good way to use leftovers.

• posted by RogueOne
    on

Good morning All,

I’m one of the newbies and reporting back on the results of my completed first seven days: lost 1.6kg and 1.5 inches from waist.
    To say I’m thrilled and motivated would be an understatement! I feel very well and have so much more energy than when I started. So what have I noticed on a physical level? My bones are re-emerging! I have better definition of my ankles, wrists, shoulder blades etc and even my face is leaner. My middle has also improved (the reason I started this diet). It’s amazing how over time a veneer of fat settles everywhere and you accept it as normal!
    I find that eating two meals a day works for me, so I leave out breakfast. It’s win win in that I am not really hungry in the morning and I get to inadvertently do a 16 hour fast without too much effort. I’m probably in the honeymoon period of this diet, as I’m enjoying preparing all the meals from scratch! There’s something very satisfying in this – you are in control of the process and to a large extent, your health.
    My thoughts on the diet so far? For it to work for me, I need the food to be varied and interesting so I’m not tempted elsewhere. That’s a challenge because it involves a lot of work. I’m a bit paranoid about nutritional shortfalls on 800 cals, so I pack in as many coloured veg a day ( no longer eating my usual fruit, so need yellow and orange veg). My protein is from a variety of seeds and nuts for one meal and chicken/egg for the other. (I’ve cut out all red meat and processed meats). I also aim to have some pulses/legumes daily (instant pot fantastic for this). Black coffee, green and white teas are my other drinks (plus water). I love to cook so have been adapting recipes to make them suitable for this diet. Herbs, spices, garlic and ginger are essential in my opinion, as are dishes from different cuisines (variety being the spice of life!)
    I’m on day 9 today and looking forward to it. I would love to hear how other people are managing when their 7 days are done. This forum seems a very friendly place, with lots of wonderful advice.
    Saskia (Surrey, UK)

• posted by dtrouton
    on

Great to hear how everyone is doing. Well done for managing to put that cake in the bin, EnglishGirl!

Day three starting for me. Yesterday was good I think. Just black tea for breakfast then a nice tuna and egg salad for lunch. Dinner was a small portion of lentil pie. Also managed 13,500 steps. So far so good!

• posted by sandals
    on

Hi all
    On day three and all going well so far. I noticed others, like me, have problems with their knees – my knees are the best gauge of my weight – at the moment I “feel” them walking up stairs so it is time to sort things out!

Feeling motivated by all your positive posts, and going to check out Allie’s book recommendation. to help keep it up!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done Saskia 🙂
    It’s really motivating to read everyone’s results so far.
    Saskia I’m really enjoying cooking again also, and like you I love to eat a wide variety of veggies. The trouble I have is deciding what to cook as there are so many lovely meals to choose from.
    One thing I love in my salads is butternut squash. Today I roasted some wedges that were drizzled with olive oil and then some Dukkah sprinkled on top. So simple and tastes amazing! It will liven up my salad this week.
    Another favourite salad of mine is roasted baby beetroot, Rocket, walnut and feta.
    And the spicy purple veg from the 8 week BSD recipe book is lovely too (red cabbage, beetroot and red onion baked with balsamic vinegar, cumin, coriander and a sprinkling of chilli flakes – it’s delicious hot or cold.

• posted by RogueOne
    on

Thank you SueBlue🙂

What fantastic ideas to tempt me! I will intend to give the Dukkah topped roasted veggies a go tomorrow! I have a cauliflower in the fridge, so will substitute this for the butternut squash at the moment. I want to lose a bit more weight before venturing into quash territory. The spicy purple veg sounds lovely indeed (will look at that).
    Do you like ratatouille? I tried the Guardian recipe yesterday (Felicity Cloake) and it was the best version I’ve had -all soft and jammy. I bought an instant pot a little while ago. There’s a plethora of low carb recipes on internet for the device. The popularity of the thing has given rise to a whole community dedicated to the American version, called Instant Pot and they are very active.
    Does anyone here have a device (Instant Pot or other)? I’ve been making wonderful dals in mine (love the thing).

• posted by JoJo2018
    on

Thanks for the salad ideas SueBlue 😊
    These are the kind of things that I love to eat, I’m off to get some butternut squash, feta and beetroot this morning 😋.
    When I was doing BSD last year I found it wasnt too hard to keep to 800 calories once I cut out the white stuff. I really enjoyed the courgette pasta and cauliflower in place of couscous/rice/mash – especially the mash with butter and parmesan.
    Hi Saskia, I also fell into doing 16:8 because I don’t really like/ have time for breakfast on work days and it’s easier when you’re only trying to make 800 calories last for 8 hours.

I’m not really starting until Monday when I go back to work. For now I’m focusing on getting my head in the right place and clearing out the last of the Christmas treats. Aiming to put some in the bin rather than eating them 😂.
    Jo

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys, I’m back – the last of the guests over the festive season have just headed down the drive so peace descends once again. – Well it will do once I have tackled the mountain of washing waiting for me.
    ———————————
    To newcomers to the forum, welcome, its a great place to share resources, don’t hesitate to shout out for help if you need it. To introduce myself I started this way of eating back in October 2017, lurked on the forum for a couple of months and finally popped up with a question in December 2017. I am based in South Wales in the UK. So far I am down over 90lbs.
    ————————————
    I did step off the wagon for the festive season as it brought with it a heavy workload and I wanted to follow a few family traditions over the festive season. – I have discovered that I still have a problem with fluid retention when I eat carbs, but over the last couple of days I have already dropped most of the weight I gained.

My aims for this stage of the road trip. – mainly back to keeping on keeping on. working to bring insulin response under control and get rid of the remaining spare tyre.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Jgwen, what a wonderful back story. Thanks so much for sharing

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Blast, another post lost in space! Where on earth do they disappear to?! New members – you’ll experience this phenomenon at some point – longs posts just disappearing into thin air! Sometimes they turn up days later, mostly they don’t!
    Anyway, I just want to congratulate RedRooster, RogueOne and Granny on such a great start! Superb! What amazed me at the beginning was how well I felt after just one or two days. Walking quicker, lighter on my feet and breathing better!
    Okay, best crack on… enjoy the rest of the day and I’ll catch up with you all tomorrow… 🙂
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Avila
    on

Can you drive past and pick me up in a couple of days once home from parents and cooking for myself again? Autumn 2016 I lost 12 kg over 6 weeks (100 down to 88kg, I’m 5ft 10) and got off blood pressure meds. Stabilised there for 6 months or so when mid 2017 put on mental health meds that are known to have weight increase as side effects.

Roll on time, and the munchies and blaming it on the meds etc….. I regained and more, currently at 106kg and fluctuate between 105-107. Need to lose 20 kg. Joined gym in nov but too depressed to get there over Dec, need to restart. I know this plan works, just need to prove that I can do it – against depression and meds munchies (last time I was on a positive streak when did it, which really helped willpower!)

See you all soon.

Avila

• posted by alliecat
    on

VERY happy to see you back, JGwen 🙂 You have earned your much lauded place as our keeper of the science/data
    of this WOL, and both you and Julia excel at summarizing it for old and new members, here. I certainly understand
    it all, but my ability to present it in a clear and concise way is woefully inadequate to yours. Consequently, I no longer
    even attempt it, secure in the faith that you will soon be along to do these questions justice ! I’m relieved that you
    have seen the last of your holiday guests, and will soon be granted some extra time in your day for other projects!

Have a good day, everyone! Once the white stuff and sugar are banished from your plate, an exciting new world
    of vegetable experimentation awaits. Mindset has much to do with success or failure in all things, and viewing
    this all as a new and exciting adventure rather than imposed deprivation, will take you far. Your excitement
    in trying new things is contageous, and a gift to us all. Keep it up 🙂 I’m looking forward to seeing what interesting
    combinations you all come up with! Keep an eye on the carb content of squash and root vegetables, even the
    lowly onion though, and try to keep the portions small. Mostly, just have fun!

on

First weigh in of 2019 and my weight was 140.2. My Christmas Eve weigh in was 137 so after a couple of days this week of getting rid of the sugar from my body I am happy to have a 2019 start weight. I feel quite ok that my gain wasn’t as bad as it could have been! I was dreading it! My aim now is to get to 133 lb which was my original goal weight which I did achieve in 2017 but found it difficult to maintain. Now I am a little more familiar with this way of eating and with how my body reacts and also now that I am a little more experienced with intermittent fasting I am going to firstly see if I can achieve it and then maintain it. If not then I am going to aim for 136 as my goal and then make sure I NEVER go more than 2lb above that.

Lovely to see some familiar names to keep us on track and lovely to pick up a few new hitchhikers along the way.

The beauty of this forum is that we are all learning from each other all the time.

I did enjoy my Christmas break but I have to say I am so happy to get back to having some control back. I must admit that I couldn’t get to sleep last night, I find that adapting to low carb definitely affects my ability to get off to sleep. Has anyone else found this happens to them?

Today I’ve had cottage cheese, an apple and some Brazil nuts for lunch. I never eat breakfast now except for a cup of coffee and my evening meal is going to be a quorn burger (no bread of course] with salad and a slice of cheese on the burger. Coffee and cream for dessert with a square of dark chocolate and a few pecans – delicious! Hoping to get my body back in ketosis over the weekend, too.

So, here I go again……. back on track and foot on the accelerator.

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

I’m finally back! So many posts to catch up on! I’ll slowly read through them, but I hope everyone is well. Let’s keep at it!

• posted by Rose88
    on

Hi all, I’ve been faffing around for so many years trying to lose weight but never stick to anything long enough to get the benefits.
    I’m vegetarian don’t eat meat, fish or eggs but was eating a mountain of carbs.
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and the last few years been on the dreaded insulin injections.

My aim is to lose the injections, lose weight and bring blood sugars down… hope I can achieve all 3 and much more with this WOE.

I’ve so much to learn …. My mindset is very different now and I’m ready to join all you lovely people from tomorrow.
    Very best wishes to you all.

Rose xx

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone and happy weekend! Well done to all those with losses this week 🙂

A mixed day for me – weigh in at 139.2 this morning so very happy about that. But then went into school for a couple of hours (we start back next week), did some shopping then came home ….. and then did my back in 🙁 I have a back weakness where something “pulls” every now and then – and now it’s gone and done it again. Great!!

So (confession time!!) now sitting in a chair propped up with pillows, dosed up with painkillers, watching crap on Netflix and drinking wine. Not quite how I planned today to go but hopefully will be fully back on board before too long!

Keep going everyone and keep posting. Will be back soon X

• posted by Syd
    on

Hi, i’ve never joined a forum before but have enjoyed reading through the various threads.
    I was introduced to the BSD by my GP and successfully lost 2 stone last summer (unfortunately 1/2 stone has found it’s way back!). I am now determined to lose further weight in time for my daughter’s wedding this summer. I started back on the diet this morning and so far so good. Last time i found the 16:8 worked well for me as I’m really not a breakfast person, so planning on doing this again. Fingers crossed for a successful 8 weeks!

• posted by Granny
    on

Thanks red r, Sue blue, kazzee, saskia and everyone for your good wishes on my loss. Some fantastic stories on this thread which will keep us all going in good and not so good times. Saskia is an ‘instant pot’ the same thing as a slow cooker/crock pot? I love my slow cooker – means I can cook less and freeze more!
    One question for the forum, I love onions of any description and they seem to form the base for a lot of recipes but I was shocked that they are quite carby – any ideas what I could use as a substitute ? Avila good luck on your journey and welcome to all the new members x

• posted by RogueOne
    on

Granny – Hi. The IP is so much more than a slow cooker/crock pot. It’s an electric pressure cooker as well! Google it and you will discover the cult following it has amassed. There are Facebook pages, YouTube channels, bloggers galore. It’s quite a phenomenon. Amazon sells the American one, I bought an English version with the Sage branding. From not knowing anything about it and having a horror of conventional pressure cookers (the noises for a start), I am completely smitten!! Today I cooked chickpeas from completely hard dried things, to soft, delectable little entities in just over an hour. Regarding onions, I just live a little and cook with them, perhaps reduce the number if it isn’t going to make a huge difference.
    Dreamscometrue – you have my complete sympathies. I suffered a back injury yesterday. It was a cooking one😳 I was taking a very heavy casserole out of the oven and hadn’t tightened my core muscles sufficiently. I didn’t even know it was possible to do this (large Le Creuset ovenware should come with warnings😂) This morning I was worse for wear, so made ginger tea (made with fresh root). It’s my go to for any inflammations and am practically recovered now. I had a small glass of red wine as well. Hope you recover soon.

Well, I’ve had my dinner and won’t eat again until lunch tomorrow. Another exciting day lies ahead. If anyone has experienced a slip up, I think it’s important to draw a line under it and view the next meal as another opportunity to get back to the straight and narrow.
    Saskia

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Welcome to the forum Syd, last time I lost just shy of three stone when I did the full 8 weeks. I think it’s an important part of succeeding (for me anyway). Everytime I start to waiver, I jump on here and get motivated again! Fingers crossed it works again this time

I think I was that full after New year from food that it’s taken me three days to feel any hunger – I now need to retrain my brain it’s just a natural signal and I don’t need to snack!!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi all
    I’ve followed these forums since June 2016 when I lost 3 stone. Restarted 2 jan 18 and going very well, I’m 61 but very active as we are working on a big building restoration project. So I have to eat carefully and not waste essential cals on lost foods.
    I have put almost all my weight back on so for this restart I have 7 stone to loose.
    I do the 800/50 and try to be vegetarian where I can.
    I live in West Norfolk in the brecklands.
    So happy planning to all of us, may we all fulfil our wishes.
    Jan 🙋

on

DCT – the wine will act as a painkiller tonight! Great post Christmas weight though! As we’ve said many times, we are in this for the long haul so get yourself right and have a rest in the pit stop and before long you’ll be back on track with us all. Get well soon,

GreenJanet- welcome back. We are all raring to go on here and hoping for some great losses. I started today. My weigh day will be every Friday morning, hoping for 1.5 lb in the first week.

Red rooster- I am feeling really hungry all the time at the moment after eating too many carbs over Christmas. I love low carb because I never feel hungry when doing it so am looking forward to getting back to not not having any hunger.

Rose 88 – welcome to BSD. I am a strict vegetarian and so, I think, is JGwen and we have both managed to lose weight following the BSD. We don’t have the same choices as the meat eaters but it is definitely doable being a strict vegetarian.

• posted by Granny
    on

Will have to look it up saskia 👍

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Everyone and a warm welcome to all the new posters — so good to see people taking charge and finding a healthy way to live. I’m from California (ha ha thus the name!) and I started the BSD almost three years ago (it will be three years March 1st). It took me about five to six months to lose almost 50 pounds — I have been maintaining ever since, with only a few slip-ups and I want to say that if you stick with this, and you do NOT have to do it perfectly, it is literally going to change your life.
    I have a couple of recommendations — first, Allie has mentioned a book that I consider my BSD “bible” — it totally changed my ideas about WHAT to eat — it’s called “Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It” by Gary Taubes.
    Reading that book explained to me for the very FIRST time in fifty years of dieting that it REALLY DOES MATTER WHAT YOU EAT. Your body has a hormone that works (tirelessly unfortunately) to store fat (it was useful in cave-man days). It is called insulin and until you can get your insulin levels down, you will struggle to lose weight.
    Insulin levels are affected by carbohydrates — the more carbs you eat and the more sugary and refined they are, the more your insulin levels rise.
    This is why you will see so many comments about number of carbs per day. The number of carbs a person can tolerate per day is very individual and some will do well at 50 carb grams per day and others (like me) have to drop it to 20 grams per day to get the most efficient weight loss.
    There are some great podcasts about the importance of insulin — my favorites are Dr. Bikman’s— he is a researcher doing cutting edge research on insulin. I highly recommend them.
    My second suggestion is to go watch Dr.Fungs podcasts about fasting. The sooner you start extending your fasting periods (and eating in a smaller window) the sooner you will lose significant weight and even more importantly, LEARN that you CAN go hours and hours without any food.
    This was actually an amazing revelation to me — I can go 24 hours with no food and no hunger and the more I practiced it, the better I got. It strengthens your backbone and makes it easier to resist!!
    If I eat too much (party, birthday, holiday etc) a day of fasting snaps me back immediately. Really really worth learning to do. And by the way, even 15 hours is good — you don’t have to go for long periods, although you will be surprised by how easily you learn to do this.
    And finally, DONT GIVE UP!!!!! Even if you “blow” it — just start again the very next day. This diet works even if you do it imperfectly so guard against the mindset that “well, now I’ve blown it, I should give up”. Just start again. We have to LEARN how to do this well. I blew it over and over and finally learned a way that worked for me and my body.
    You are going to amaze yourself!
    Julia

• posted by Bubbles2019
    on

That was really helpful Julia, many thanks x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Beautifully expressed Julia, as usual! You are a true wordsmith, and I couldn’t agree with you more. Wishing
    you a wonderful winter on your mountain! Having the ability to ski out of your back door reminds me so much
    of life on Stratton Mt. in Vermont. We haven’t seen much snow thus far in New England, but sooner or later
    it will descend upon us. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Allie

• posted by TaytoP
    on

I am enjoying this road trip and all the encouragement from such a positive group of people. I am 1 week in to a slightly modified (to suit my life) version of the Fast 800. Eating between 12 and 7pm only (ie 2 meals) and maybe having closer to 1000 than 800 calories total. I am finding it OK to be hungry for the half the day but I don’t want to be hungry all day hence wanting 2 reasonably sized meals rather than 3 very small. Have lost 2.0kg already.
    I am glad there are people here who love their vegetables, nuts, sees, and even fruit. I had avoided low carb for a long time because hell to me is eating mostly meat. I eat very little meat but am adding in fish and chicken now and also going to really enjoy those vegetable based recipes, and make them filling with some healthy fat rather than carbs.
    Anyway my first goal is to get my BSL back in diabetic safe range (ie under 8.0 most of the time). I was tracking fine for the first 18 months since Type 2 diagnosis but started to deteriorate and get unacceptably high BSL readings. Second goal is to lose enough weight to actually reverse the diabetes. Easter is a great goal time because I have an overseas hiking trip planned and if I can be in good shape and not diabetic for that I will be over the moon. I hope to lose 12kg by Easter if I can.
    Hope all the Aussies here are keeping cool; I am finding the heat is sapping my energy as we are no in day 12 of a heatwave.

• posted by Kerryp
    on

Thank you Californiagirl – I’m looking forward to feeling as you do!
    I feel a little more room in my waistband and have my first weigh in on Monday.
    K

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Morning all, after three full days 2.1kg off. Very pleased with that. Yesterday was the first day where I felt hungry but it’s passed . Think that is something worth knowing for any newbies, a few hunger pangs are natural, grab some water or just let them pass. You don’t need to eat to get rid of them. We’re just so trained to jump for a snack at the first sign of any hunger, despite doing the BSD in 2017, i’d fallen back into this trap

I’ve had a couple of Slices of HiLo this morning for breakfast, it’s not as good as normal bread but it’s ok and it’s filling

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Hi TaytoP,
    What you have written reflects exactly where I am. I’m with you on the fasting, I can do eating in the window 12 to 7 easily. I have done 24 and 36 hours fasts in the past, and can manage them, but they have left me with a knawing hunger that’s hard to get rid of once I’m eating again on 800 cals. So I’ve decided to go for one or two rounds of 800 (1000)/20 till I get to my target weight and then I’ll experiment again with the longer fasts, when I’m not restricted the next day.

I do eat meat, but agree on veg, nuts, seeds etc. I will give fruit a miss for now whilst loosing the weight but will experiment with what it does to my blood sugar when I am at target. The thought of never picking a fresh ripe plum from my tree and eating it straight away is a difficult one, so I’m putting it aside for now.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Goodmorning all!
    Julia, thank you so very much for your advice. I absolutely love it and will be pasting it into my journal to reread. You are the best!!!

Catherine

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I’m glad that it was useful! My journey on BSD was a series of “ah ha” moments. I really feel that each body is so unique, we have to become our own experts — but it takes some trial and error!
    VictoriaM — you absolutely will be able to eat your fresh-off-the-tree plums! This is not a no-fruit diet just a controlled fruit diet! We have all been told to eat just endless amounts of fruit but that was bad advice and over-sugared our bodies. Your beautiful plums can still be in your life — just eat them sparingly and balance with other no-sugar foods that day/meal.

• posted by Tender
    on

So, I’ve been doing the diet since 1st Jan and have found it really good; I rarely feel hungry which is good and have found the meals tasty. However, the last 24 hrs I have been really wanting to eat something sweet. I have tried to ignore the feeling but it just won’t go. Any ideas of what I can do to let that feeling go or something I can eat that will satisfy that feeling but within the 800?

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    I totally agree.Julia /Californiagirls’s advice is spot on . I think slotting in occasional fasting periods is very beneficial.It gives our digestive system a break , teaches us to recognise hunger signals and promotes an unexpected sense of energized wellbeing if we manage to get into a ketogenic state.

Remember also not to panic or get discouraged if the initial weight loss slows down. We all lose weight at a different pace . Try to think long term and accept that weight gain also took some time ! It will take a while to lose the excess and keep it off.

It really is about changing our eating habits for life but I think I have probably said this before : tastes changes and cravings lessen . You will start craving healthy veg and not want that bun or pie if you persevere ! You don’ t need to feel deprived . Remember sugar and carbs are not necessary.Eat healthy fats in moderation .
    There is a lot of confusing/contradictory dietary advice in the media at the moment .It is infuriating.Stick with the BSD principles and you will succeed !

Good luck everyone !

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello Tripper!
    Good to see you here Avila, Rose88, Syd, TatoP, VictoriaM.
    Some excellent information and tips from our more experienced BSDers, thank you Julia, JGwen! Allie and everyone else. 😁
    I’ve just riced up some cauliflower, broccoli and rather sorry looking sprouts. I found a recipe for a bit of chopped chorizo, mushrooms, spring onion, garlic and half a chilli. Once sautéed, I’m adding my riced veggies. A big hot bowl of flavoursome Saturday night yumminess! This is an experiment! Anyone else experimenting? 😁
    Kazzeexx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Tender – I know what you mean about feeling like something sweet, this happens to me sometimes. I like 78% dark chocolate and find a small piece eaten slowly satisfying. Otherwise a few strawberries or raspberries, I had some last night with a dollop of Greek yoghurt.
    Fruit tea is a good choice too, and only 2 calories or something. There is a Twinings one I love, Boysenberry & raspberry, and it tastes quite sweet.

• posted by TaytoP
    on

Hi Kazzie,
    I did a little experimental dinner last night and it was delicious. I cooked up some chopped up chicken thigh with a whole lot of veges (onion, mushroom, garlic, green beans, carrot, zucchini). Then added a bit of stock and some sour cream and simmered for a little while longer, and topped with lots of chopped parsley. Very delicious! However I didn’t count the calories so can’t help you there. Normally I wold have eaten something like this with lots of pasta but it was still delicious without the pasta (little fella with me had pasta with his).

Feeling very positive because my morning BSL is dropping, was 10.9 a week ago, today 6.9.

Have a great day everyone.

• posted by TaytoP
    on

Hi Victoria,
    Oh yes I am totally with you re the fruit. I don’t have a fruit garden now but in the past when I did it was such a great pleasure to eat my own home grown fruit. And life with no summer mangoes, raspberries or cherries to look forward to would be so sad. I am not eating any for now but later hope to reintroduce some fruit. In the meantime my herb garden give me lots of pleasure and flavour.

I am glad to hear there are others here following a somewhat similar path, we can share what is working for us. Also nice to meet the vegetarians! My daughter is a strict vegan and I have become a good vegan cook. But the carb level of our vegan food is too high for me now so modifications are in order. I would love to hear about people’s favourite vegetarian meals.

One thing I have been eating which might work well is salads with lots of fresh Asian flavours with marinated a fried tofu in them. I will work on a recipe to share!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

TaytoP raspberries are fine, they are on plan. Also mango, in small amounts and when eaten with other foods – one of the breakfast recipes in the 8 week BSD book is plain yoghurt with apple, mango and hazelnut 🙂
    It’s summer here in Australia so I’m loving the fresh raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries we have in the shops now. I usually have frozen berries when they are not in season.

• posted by Tender
    on

Thanks SueBlue for some really good advice. The feeling seems to have subsided today, thank goodness!

Please log in or register to post a reply.