Just starting out…would welcome some company :)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Aww, shucks SueBlue, thank you – you are so kind. Thanks for your celebratory emojis too – although I will definitely NOT be celebrating with alcohol, so an emoji is the closest I will get to alcohol ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Haha yes old habits die hard! Celebration = champagne for me! I was going to say you could always have the non-alcoholic kind, but I’d imagine that would still be high in carbs/sugar as made from grapes.
    Here’s a few bouquets instead ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’ – they are more BSD friendly ๐Ÿ˜

• posted by bani
    on

I’ve just finished reading the book so starting as soon as I’ve compiled a meal plan and done the shopping! The photos at the back of the book make it all look do-able so I’m hopeful….. if a bit nervous! Any tips for the first few days please?

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Bani and welcome.

First and most important tip is to drink lots and lots of water. Aim for 3 litres a day – I personally drink nearer 4, though I include my tea and coffee (both of which I take without milk or sugar so don’t have to be counted in my calories or carbs)

Also I would suggest downloading an app such as FatSecret or MyFitessPal so that you can log everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, which passes your lips. The apps will take the hard work our of measuring your calorie, carb, fat and protein intake. Most people on here try to keep their carbs below 50g per day, many aim for lower (including me).

Many people find that meal planning is a real help, and maybe batch cooking so that you can get a few BSD friendly meals in the freezer for days when you are too busy or tired to cook from scratch.

Hopefully you will not be hit by carb flu (flu-like symptoms caused by carb-withdrawal, typically headaches, tiredness etc) but if you do, take a paracetamol or similar if you need to, up your water intake, maybe take a bit of salt, and then just power on through – it will only last a day or two. You may not experience it, but forewarned is forearmed.

Most of the people on this thread actually started BSD800 in January so, whilst you are very welcome here and you will receive whatever advice or support you need on any and every thread, you may want to also join a thread where other people are at a similar stage as yourself – this is the April starters one…….. https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/starting-or-restart-april-2017/

I’m sure lots of people will come up with other tips, but these were just the ones which immediately sprang to mind.

Good luck on your journey, and please shout if you need any help – and of course, there is a search box if you want to look up previous threads about any questions you may have.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Oh, SueBlue – thank you for the bouquets, they are very much appreciated (not that the champagne wasn’t of course ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Sadly, or actually not so sadly as I’m very used to it now, I shall be celebrating reaching goal weight with water – heck, I may even go mad and have a cup of Earl Grey tea with a slice of lemon ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Congrats Theodora and everyone else! I celebrate now by buying myself a pair of earrings or a scented candle. Lasts longer than champagne too! It’s so nice to read everyone’s supportive messages. I feel like you are family.
    2 weeks until we go on our big holiday to the UK and France. I am almost 15kgs down from Jan 16 – still have 20 to lose tho!

• posted by bani
    on

Many thanks Theodora!

• posted by MEG Leach
    on

Hey there. I realize this is an old post but I am in my first week and trying to figure out what I should be eating as far as grams or percentage of Protein/Carbs/Fats. It is very confusing. Anyone got this figured out??

• posted by SueBlue
    on

There is a post about it here that may help.
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/20th-feb-starters/page/4/#post-58403
    I use My Fitness Pal and have mine set to carbs 30% (or 60g – this includes fibre), protein 30% or 60g and fat 40% or 36g.
    To be honest I don’t pay too much attention to protein and fat – I mainly follow recipes from the BSD books. I do however try to keep my net carbs down to below 50g, as others have suggested.
    Hope this helps and good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Sorry Meg – It’s the post by Linda A on the 18 Feb, not sure why the link to the post itself didn’t work!

• posted by MEG Leach
    on

Thanks so much Sue that is very helpful. I will try that. How long have you been on BSD?

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Meg Today is W13 day 1 for me – or Round 2 Week 5 day 1. I’ve lost 7kg (15.4lb) so far – not nearly as much as others on here, but a couple of reasons for that.
    I’m taking prednisone daily, and have been on double my usual dose. Prednisone causes weight gain and affects fat distribution. I also have Insulin resistance/pre-diabetes which my GP says makes weight loss a lot harder and slower.
    I also had over 25kg to lose, so knew I’d be in for a long haul. I’m aiming to lose the remaining 18kg by the end of September.
    I’ve been following BSD in more of a 5:2 approach, but in reverse. So I stick to 800 calories 5 days a week, and about 1100 2 days a week.
    I was watching a tv show last week with Dr Mosely and Prof Roy Taylor and the professor said “the best diet is the one that works for you”. This WOE is great in that it gives you the different options, you can find a way that works for you and your circumstances.
    Good luck!

• posted by Theodora
    on

SueBlue, considering you are taking preds, I think you have done amazingly well and, as you say, this diet works for us.

End of Week 12 (Round2 Week4) weigh in for me, and I’m quite excited this morning. As you know, I reached my goal weight last Friday, and I thought the “wriggle room” pounds would take ages to go, but I have dropped another 2 lbs over the weekend, and 3.5lbs since last Monday, so I am now a lovely 2lbs below my target weight, and a total of 34lbs gone ๐Ÿ™‚ I am going to keep going for the 4 weeks left of this round to see where it takes me, although as we are going away for 2 weeks today, I will relax a little bit – not for the entire 2 weeks, but I will definitely allow myself some wine over Easter itself. Frankly, I am rather scared of going into maintenance, because I think it will be a lot harder than actually losing, but we shall see.

Hope the rest of the January starters are reporting good results too. And for any who have stalled/slipped off the wagon, just keep on keeping on – you know it makes sense. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Theodora
    on

PS Forgot to mention that, as well as my weigh this morning, I also had a “measure in” which I don’t do very often. Was thrilled to find I have lost 6″ from my waist, 4.5″ from my bust and 5″ from my hips ๐Ÿ™‚ I know I have also lost from my legs, as my knee high boots are all loose now even with my jeans tucked in (used to have trouble even tucking them in)and I have hollows between my thighs. I have also had to change my watch strap as the old one didn’t have small enough adjustments ๐Ÿ™‚ Very happy bunny here ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by MEG Leach
    on

Yes prednisone is killer as far as weight gain. I’m so glad I don’t have to deal with that aspect too. Kudos to you for being able to lose anything.
    I still have 71 lbs I want to lose. But I just completed week 1 and have lost 11 lbs. And my blood sugar which was 235 – 250 in the morning, was down to 160 this morning. So I know the weight loss will probably slow some now but I’m just excited for the improvement.
    I agree, whatever works is what we must do. I’m sure we all have our own take on the plan.
    Keep me posted on your progress. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by MEG Leach
    on

Wow! Theodora, I am totally excited for you. It feels so good to make progress, I can only imagine how it must feel to reach that goal. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• posted by MEG Leach
    on

Way to go Theodora!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.