Starting or Restart April 2017

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Support for those starting the BSD in April

• posted by bumblebee
    on

I had a bit of a 3 month long bad spell, fell off the wagon in December after finding out I’d be made redundant and just didn’t get back on….Until now!

I thought I’d have it under control and maintain my weight doing the keto diet but no luck, staying at 25-30g of carbs a day but loading up on fats and proteins did nothing for me so I’m back.

Used yesterday to eat up all the ‘bad’ stuff so cooked up the rice I had with peas, carrots, corn, sausage meat and eggs. Ate that and planned my menu and did the food shop for this week.

Day 1 weight 87.9kg
    Fasting Blood Sugar 6.3
    Sleep 4 hours
    Mood Tired and low

Breakfast: low carb protein shake with ground chia seeds, a cup of black coffee with 1 teaspoon coconut oil – total 201 calories

I don’t know how this protein shake is going to work as it has sucralose in it but it was too expensive to just throw out.

• posted by fatrabbit
    on

I am ten days into doing this and have been looking for a post to join. I was previously doing ADF and lost lots of weight but then hit a plateau and lost nothing for three weeks. It was very demotivating and made getting through a fast day very difficult. I felt hungrier than I had for months and had a couple of failed fasts which hadn’t happened until then. With the announcement of the new 800 calorie limit for 5/2 I ended up reading about the BSD and so gave it a try for a few days and found it amazingly easy to stick to, probably because I had already given up sugars and processed carbs and was used to doing fast days at 500 calories. So I decided to carry it through to the end of March. I lost ten pounds in those ten days and wasn’t significantly hungry. I have another sixty pounds to lose and want do it as quickly as possible and so will stick with this for at least for a month. I am currently 202lbs.

So far today I have eaten a small bowl of sweet potato curry at 3pm. I don’t eat until then as otherwise I get hungry and wouldn’t last through the rest of the day. I’ll have a salad with some cottage cheese a bit later. I use lots of cups of black coffee and different flavoured teas to get through the day. Peppermint, fennel and cinnamon are my three favourites.

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi fatrabbit!

You’ll soon have to change over to skinnyrabbit! πŸ™‚

Thanks for joining me. I love this idea of tea and coffee to get through the day. Thanks for this! I think I will make a jug of ‘iced tea’ – don’t want to use sweeteners so I’ll do mint and lemon ginger… Curious to see how it goes πŸ™‚

Don’t you feel hungry in the morning? I do see that if i push and wait as long as i can to have my first meal then i don’t sleep with the fear I’ll eat my pillow in my sleep πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

500calorie fast days… WOW!

I had an ok morning yesterday until i got to 2pm. I decided I’ll have lunch a little later to stretch times between meals so i don’t get hungry later. With the weekend and longer days i find myself looking for something to crunch and munch in the evening.

I had my salad with chicken and a low carb Caesar dressing….Then waited half an hour still felt like i was starving and ate some more chicken salad.

Dinner i did courgetti with a salsa. I was ok for a few hours then got to 10pm and was clearing out my handbag to stay busy…. Found a pack of peanuts and ate them all.

So i finished off with a total of 1560 calories for the day, almost double.

Did a meditation to still my mind and realised drinking the protein shake was the issue….Felt like i had not actually EATEN anything.

But this morning i didn’t repeat the same.

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs (small ones from neighbour’s chicken) with asparagus and 1 teaspoon olive oil = 200 calories

Lunch: 2 large mushrooms dry baked in the oven (20 cals) plus one slice cheese (75 cals) plus a homemade hamburger patty cooked in 1 teaspoon olive oil (220 cals) plus 100grams cucumber (15 cals) = 330cals

Day 2:
    Weight: 87.1kg
    Fasting Blood Sugar: 6.0
    Sleep: 6 hours
    Mood: Tired but hopeful

• posted by bumblebee
    on

I feel happy and positive today, felt hungry yesterday but didn’t cheat and did not go over my 800cals.

Had my egg breakfast today which worked great yesterday. For lunch and dinner I’ve worked out a ‘stew’ recipe worth 600 cals for the entire portion so I’ll have the same for lunch and dinner.

Day 3
    Weight: 86.4kg
    Fasting Blood Sugar: 5.3
    Sleep: 7.17 hours
    Mood: Excited – the weight drop this morning has set the happy tone for the day!

Also got a decent 7 hours of sleep which makes me very happy!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hey, bumblebee, nice to see you back! I was thinking just the other day that I hadn’t seen anything from you for a while.
    Sorry to hear about your redundancy – I sympathise, it happened to me in 2009. Hang on in there, it’s not the end of the world.
    Best wishes for your BSD!

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Rozyyyyyy hiiii! Thank you hun, it’s good to be back.

My high energy levels today and clear head (no fog) have helped me start actually putting a business plan together for my online presence of my coaching business. Excited!!!!

How are you?

xXx

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi again, bumblebee,
    I’m pretty good, if a bit knackered – thanks for asking. Busy day at work today – and I wasn’t even due to go in today! Glutton for punishment – I run a charity shop & on Saturday we had a massive sale. Went in today just to sort out the carnage ready for when we re-open on Thursday – what a hero!
    Good for you for having a plan for a business! I hope you get things up & running.
    After my redundancy I started volunteering at the charity where I now work – after a long time out of the workplace I finally landed the job running the shop. Bit of a double-edged sword – it met my brief of doing something different but, dear Lord, it’s bl**dy hard work!
    If you want to know how I’ve been doing on BSD, just look at my profile – turning into a bit of an essay!

You go, girl!

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi Rozy,

WOW I just read your profile… Amazing progress… Well done hunni you have come so far!

You totally inspired me to keep strong and focused, thank you πŸ™‚

You’ve also given me an idea, I’m going to check in with my local charity shops, volunteering makes me happy. Currently I’ve been working with bereavement groups which helped me deal with stuff inside myself too. Hadn’t realised the memory of loss could jolt me as much as loss itself but it’s good, it’s progress!

I was a bit blah this morning, two days in a row I wake up with stomach cramps. Today was worst it actually made me cry so I’m not sure what it is but I’m going to keep at it, eat clean and stay hopeful.

Finding it difficult to drink enough water, have to deal with my fears of public toilets LOL. I’ve noticed being out and about I drink less water to avoid using public toilets.

My breakfast today went a bit over this morning, absent mindedly used 2 teaspoon of olive oil instead of one when cooking my eggs.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 teaspoon oil, black coffee = 240

Lunch: Chicken breast, salad leaves, olive oil salad dressing = 300

Dinner: Mushroom Pizza = 260

Day 4
    Weight: 85.7kg
    Fasting Blood Sugar: 6.0
    Sleep: 5 hours
    Mood: Hopeful

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Newcomers and those needing a reboot may find this interesting. http://www.sbs.com.au/news/insight/tvepisode/beating-type-2-diabetes is an Australian program from last year and features Michael Mosely, Professor Taylor and others. It is fairly long but contains some good info. Especially the info from Prof Taylor at University of Newcastle UK on the fact that he now believes that up to 10 years after diagnosis most people can at least go into remission or reversal of diabetes on 8×800. As i have been waivering a bit lately (waivering a lot actually) I found re-watching the program a real boost.

• posted by mattliny
    on

Hello, I recently had an operation which left me a little down in the dumps as I was not able to do any physical activity – result is 12lb weight gain and so I started yesterday and was fine – today I am very hungry so went for a packet of celery to fill up on! Any ideas or do you have to pain through the hunger for the first few days?

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi bumblebee,
    Glad you found my profile useful. It’s just perseverance, really. I’m still struggling to meet my ultimate goal but, so long as I stick at approximately the weight I currently am then I can’t really complain since I’m effectively maintaining the major part of the losses of last year. Glad you are up for volunteering somewhere – it’s a useful thing to do, and volunteers benefit as much as the charity in the sense of it’s a change of scenery, you meet new people.
    Hope you get over your stomach cramps – not nice.
    Like you, I sometimes find it difficult to take on board enough liquid. When I get a headache, that’s usually the root cause, then I drink like a fish. Need to pace myself!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi mattliny,
    My weight problems really took hold after I had surgery and was restricted in what I could do physically for a while – so I know where you are coming from. I think you’ll find that in the early days of BSD, there’s a period of adjustment while your body gets used to the new regime – well done for sticking with celery to ease the hunger pangs and not bingeing on naughties. I think celery is an abomination so you have my admiration!!
    Seriously, you will adjust and one day you will notice that you don’t feel ravenous and then it becomes easier.
    Good luck.

• posted by Pendiente
    on

I’m a week in and half a stone down and 1 and half inches off waist! Well chuffed!! I actually found the first week ok and didn’t really get any headaches and not much hunger I don’t think. I ate quite a lot of butternut squash to begin with as I find it very filling. I tried not having breakfast one day – so I could eat more later on but that didn’t suit me so I tend to have a biggish breakfast of an egg, mushrooms, tomato and sometimes a piece of bacon and it comes in at under 180 calories and sets me up till at least 1 or 2pm.

I’m hooked on this forum and spend far too much time trawling for hints tips and success stories!!

• posted by readytochange
    on

I’ve started the plan today after months and months on another plan with little loss (SW). My blood sugars are normal but cholesterol and bloody pressure are a bit raised. My bmi is 31 and a lot of weight is around my torso and therefore waist.

I’ve logged all food on myfitnesspal and stuck within the 800 (As long as my dinner is as planned). I’ve been a long term lurker but now I’ve read the book I’m set to go.
    Thanks for all the inspiration.

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Thanks Jenni for the link – will check it out….I find every bit of motivation is needed to stay on track.

I was naughty with my dinner today and gone over by 78 calories in total for the day – started feeling sad for the mushroom pizza, it looked naked so I added more cheese, what I thought was just a little sprinkle added up to 38 calories. Now feel so bad I’ve run up and down the stairs a few times to burn that 78 – LOL

Hi Mattliny, sorry to hear about your surgery, I hope you have a complete recovery soon! I understand how weight creeps up on us when in recovery so you should pat yourself on the back for taking this step and getting on top of things. I am on the same page with Rozy regarding celery – I cannot for the life of me handle the taste so kudos and respect!!! It takes a few days to adjust and not feel hungry – the trick is to ensure you have enough good fats in your diet to keep off the hunger pangs.

WOW Pendiente…this is amazing news! I love hearing success stories it gives me hope – Right now I feel like that killer whale picture of Kim Kardashian…not cute!!! Congratulations on your weight loss! I am so afraid of eating butternut squash – I lived in South Africa for a while and over there it is a staple but everyone keeps bashing it for its sugar content – its in the mind I suppose! I must sit down and read the book again, for now I’m doing my meals from memory. Like you I also cannot cope with skipping breakfast, it wrecks my mood and gives me severe anxiety, panic and agitaton – I’m doing mindfulness meditation to get in control of it in case it is psychological….I tried a shake for breakfast the other day and ended up totally messing up my day and in the end went close to double on my 800cal allowance so now I eat my eggs and coffee and it takes me up to 2pm.

Woooohoooo Readytochange!!! welcome welcome and kudos for using MFP – my one keeps telling me i don’t eat enough so now I just use a notebook because MFP is annoying me and wont complete my diary until i write fake meals in there to get to 1000 calories. It messes with my OCD brain so I rather keep a notebook. I have no idea what my BMI is right off my head……let me go look online…

WOW….took me ten minutes to let it sink in….I’m OBESE with a BMI of 33

Feeling a bit deppro and sorry for myself now….going to do some affirmations and self talk!

Every day I am healthier and lighter than the day before by grace and in the most perfect way!

• posted by Pendiente
    on

Bumblebee
    I thought butternut squash was ok but maybe I’m wrong!! I’ll have to check. Anyone else have any advice on it!?! Bumblebee a week ago my bmi was 31.3 and I was in the obese range – now – a week later – I’m just 3lbs from being overweight and not obese!! How cool is that! Off to cook my eggs!

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi Pendiente,

That is SUPER cool!!! Thank you for that…Needed it!

I woke up feeling really positive this morning, then got on the scale and the loss is a tiny 200grams. I’m trying not to be ungrateful but i do feel a bit disappointed.

I have a super busy out and about day today so I’m trying to plan ahead and avoid slipping up…My biggest temptation will be coffee…Latte or a capuccino….To have or not to have….Skinny so it’s lower in calories or whole milk so lower on carbs…. Decisions decisions?!!!

Day 5
    Weight: 85.5kg
    Fasting Blood Sugar: 6.4
    Sleep: 4 hours
    Mood: Hopeful

• posted by Pendiente
    on

Bumblebee

I’ve just had a look in the 8 week bsd recipe book and there are several recipe’s with butternut squash! Yeah! However I put it into fat secret and bns has 8.3 carbs (per 100g) of which 4.5 are sugar, compared to 2.7 of which 1.7 are sugar in a courgette and 20.12 carbs of which 4.18 are sugar in sweet potato. So I guess it’s pretty low in carbs but of those carbs quite a high percentage are sugars. So I guess it’s ok in moderation. I hope so anyway as I found it a life saver with Sunday dinner where we had everything apart from the roasties and yorkshires and replace roasties with bns and didn’t feel remotely deprived! But as I said it’s in the bsd recipe book so must be good in moderation. I guess you can become obsessed with these figures.

Anyway have a great day – day 8 for me – I haven’t weighed myself this morning but my husband weighed himself and he’s 12lb down on day 8!! Fantastic for him but typically he doesn’t have as much to lose as me but is losing it quicker!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi bumblebee
    Better to keep the carbs lower if you have to make to choice and go the latte as it doesn’t have the chocolate on top! Better still, have a black coffee with a dash of cream if you can’t drink it black.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Pendiente
    on

Well I’m still chuffed to bits – I’ve been expecting weight loss to slow down (from losing a lb per day for first 7 days) so didn’t weigh self yesterday. I just weighed and lost another 2lb!! That’s 9 in total – on 9 days! Mind you I walked about 3-4 miles with the dog yesterday morning then my husband came home early and we went for a 2 and half hour hike late afternoon. Went to bed knackered and more hungry than I was used to last night but I guess that’s to be expected after about 4 hours of quite strenuous walking on 800 calories! I managed to stick to 800 though so pleased with that!!

Hope everyone has a good day xx

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi Linda,
    Coffee with cream sounds lush! Not sure how I’d fit those calories in and still have my eggs though…Will experiment this weekend πŸ™‚

Forgot to post yesterday:

Day 6
    Weight: 84.7kg
    Fasting Blood Sugar: 6.6
    Mood: Anxious – had doctor’s appointment

Today’s results were quite exciting given that i went over by at least 500calories yesterday, felt too sick and low after doctors to count. Ended up having almost 3 glasses of wine and slept through the day.

Today:
    Day 7
    Weight: 84.1kg
    Fasting Blood Sugar: 6.7
    Sleep: 10 hours
    Mood: Content

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi Pendiente,

You are on fire!!!

Great results, definitely the walking that’s got you melting away πŸ™‚

Well done!

xXx

• posted by Pendiente
    on

Thanks Bumblebee! I overdid the walking the day before yesterday and had to drag myself back from dog walk yesterday feeling weak and tired but I had my main meal at lunch time yesterday and decided not to stress if I went over 800 calories – After my lunch I felt a lot better though. I didn’t go over 800 in the end, not with food but I did go out and have a couple of glasses of prosecco with friends – however I wasn’t even tempted by all the snacks they were eating. So, yes I let myself down by having a drink but I did research into how many carbs are in prosecco (very few) first and did it in a measured way, but I felt it was a bit of a victory not even wanting to eat! I also converted a couple of friends to looking into the BSD!

Hope your Dr appt wasn’t too bad – was it diabetic related?

Everyone have a good day – I’m off out for breakfast with friends – eggs obviously! xxx

• posted by readytochange
    on

Can I just say- I am delighted. Day 5 cheeky weigh in and I am down 6 pounds! For me this is incredible. Onwards and downwards. Have a good day all x

• posted by bani
    on

Hi everyone! I read the book yesterday and am raring to go! I need to get a meal plan together and go shopping but I can see this is doable – I really hope so as my BP is high, along with my BMI and my weight. I am overweight and it all appears to be around my middle – my waist measurement is 38″ – I was horrified. Still am! As both my parents had diabetes type II and my sister is about to be diagnosed, I’m on a mission! I have no excuses for not doing this so this forum will make me accountable. It’s great to read all the posts and there’s a lot of advice here which is going to be really helpful.
    Starting weight = 163 lbs

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi Pendiente,
    It’s great to know the temptation of snacks go away. I’m struggling in the evenings watching TV so i bought some 10 calorie jelly pots to see if they will do the trick. Didn’t have this issue on keto I’d munch on beef jerky.

I read prosecco now I’m thinking hmmm…Maybe I’ll have some…. Lol

We had a barbecue at the house yesterday, I’d already eaten my dinner but housemates kept insisting come sit with them….Ended up eating chicken and grilled peppers and halloumi… Really not impressed with myself, but happy I didn’t eat carbs.

Touch wood, doctors appointment I want to be referred to a podiatrist for my knock knees, it’s giving me pain in my feet when walking.

Today:
    Day 8
    Weight: 85.4kg – 1,3kg weight gain from eating extra calories in the form of chicken, peppers and halloumi.
    Fasting Blood Sugar: 6.1
    Mood: Meh

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Readytochange….Well done that’s great! Onwards and downwards indeed! Have a super weekend! πŸ™‚

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Bani, welcome…You’re doing the right thing! Well done and glad to have you here πŸ™‚

• posted by bani
    on

Many thanks bumblebee!

• posted by MEG Leach
    on

I just completed Day 5 and I have lost 10 lbs. I am so excited. Glad to find some others just getting started. This is easy for me so far. I am using MFP and just realized I have been going over on calories on the days I exercised because it deducts the calories burned. Oh well. I will watch that closer but I will take the 10 lb loss anyway. Has anyone figured out what percentages to set My Fitness Pal at for this plan? Look forward to hearing from you all. Keep up the good work!

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi MEG Leach,

I’ve set MFP to 70% fat, 20 protein and 5 carbs
    But the app always has me in a muddle and i end up super anxious so I’ve reverted to my trusty notebook.

I realised today having done keto previously the protein i have in the fridge is going a lonnngggg way!

I cooked for lunch and dinner in one go today then split it half and half for both meals….One small salmon fillet for two meals….A bit stunned!

Didn’t get to weigh yesterday, was out and about and ended up thinking I’ll have a glass of wine…It became 3!

Day 10
    Weight: 84.2kg
    Fasting Blood Sugar: 5.9
    Mood: content

• posted by MEG Leach
    on

OK Bumblebee. So you overdid it a little. Just get back on that horse. One thing I have learned is just get right back on plan. It doesn’t help to beat ourselves up over it. Just don’t give up. Keep on pushing forward even if we make a step back. I’m saying that for myself as much as you. I do have to keep reassuring myself. πŸ™‚

• posted by tracyrees72
    on

Hi all, on day 2 of BSD 800 Fast, have my meals all planned for the week. Day 1 was a bit of a struggle, I’ve been doing the New Atkins diet for the last year and am used to eating when I’m hungry! I started my journey last year at 18st 5lb, came down to 15st 4lb but hit a wall and didn’t move for 3 months! This led to a crisis and put 4lb back on. I had come to a point where I was finding the diet difficult to maintain and also my blood pressure (I have hypertension – managed with Lisinopril and Amlodopine) was actually raising instead of coming down??! I watched a lot of programs recently about sugar and carbs and eventually cottoned onto the BSD. I’m hoping that as I’ve been low-carb for the last year anyway that I’ll find it easy to make the switch. The difficulty for me is going to be the calorie controlled side of it, as previously I was never hungry. I also worry about the fact that I work shifts which involve me working until 2am. I’m going to need to work out how to spread my 800 calories over a day that will start at 7.30-8am and run until gone 2am by the time I get home??!! Any advice on this will be much appreciated.

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hi Everyone!

I hope it’s ok that I am joining in your posts!
    I started this BSD last year but work stress got in the way(NHS) – I comfort eat when stressed.
    I was 11st 9 at one point last year but I am now 12st 8!
    I haven’t got diabetes but if I keep going on as I do , it won’t be long!
    I am 5’2″ so would ideally like to end up around 8-9 stones.

I started BSD today and it has gone well so far – I’m tracking everything via myfitnesspal. The main problem is that I am finding it hard to eat enough – not a problem before!
    It’s hard trying to minimise carbs and eat more protein and fat as I run out of ideas on what to eat. I had ham, salad,cheese,eggs,walnuts and brazils and lots of water (which I find hard)

I have been reading this forum for a while and it has helped to see others are in the same boat and get support.

Good luck to everyone

Lucy

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Thanks MEG,

Yep you’re right, beating myself up about falling off the wagon just has me feeling like a failure. I have written a little affirmation and put it as my phone screen saver….

It’s not the end until i give up

It’s working, it helps me feel better.

Day 12 today and​ progress

Day 12
    Weight: 83.8kg
    Fasting Blood Sugar: 6.4
    Mood: motivated

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi Tracy,

Yep 800 cals takes getting used to especially with long hours at work.

Something i found helps me plod along when faced with long hours is soups… Nothing fancy just a quarter of a billion cube in hot water with a teaspoon of olive oil or coconut oil if you prefer. Low on calories but high on taste and keeps you going for a few hours until the next meal.

I was on keto before this, had all my snacks planned and never hungry, BSD takes adjusting but keep at it until you find what works best for you.

Another thing i do is a slice of ginger in my tea and pretend it’s a chai – you can add a carnation milk pot if you want it milky that’s 15cals and 1g of carbs.

Hang in there it gets easier!

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi Lucy,

Great to have you here, welcome!

I’m a stress eater too.. now i trick myself when I’m stressed and drink hot tea with a slice of ginger or stir it with a cinnamon stick to give it flavour. Something soothing about the warmth.

I’m almost same height as you, I’m 5’3 not sure about stones but i weigh 83.8kg now.

I am now realising how much more protein i was eating before and cut that down alot. Olive oil and coconut oil have become my best friends and to fit the fat calories in i do a coffee with coconut oil or a quarter billion cube with a teaspoon of olive oil in a mug.

It tricks my brain that i just ate and normally takes 2,5 to 3 hours until I’m hungry.

Nuts are great just be careful of the carb content and you’re good πŸ™‚

Good to have you here!

• posted by vikki444
    on

Hi All

just bought the book and decided best time to start is tomorrow

Ive got my fitness pal put in 800kcals and set my carbs as 50g (25%) protein as 90g (45%) and fat as 27g (30%)

Im 30yrs old i have PCOS and from the UK, the last 6 months i have just watched my weight pile on no matter what i do (i constantly think about food!)

So hoping the fact this promises quick weight loss will keep me motivated! Any tips or fave low cal receipes please share πŸ™‚

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I think your protein is too high and the fat is too low. The body can convert unused protein to glucose, so unless you’re doing very strenuous daily muscle building exercise, it’s better for your weight loss goals to drop the protein and up the fat. You want to aim for a gram of protein per kilo of your ideal weight, say 60 grams, depending on your height. Move those leftover 30 grams to your fat limit and enjoy all the lovely avocado, olives and cheese the extension allows you. πŸ™‚

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi vicki444
    I agree with Esnecca, you need less protein and more fat in order to keep satiated, this way if eating won’t work for long if you’re feeling hungry all the time. Don’t be afraid of fat, it’s not the devil that it’s been made out to be!
    In saying that, stay away from manufactured seed oils like canola, safflower, sunflower, rapeseed etc and go for the good natural fats like butter, coconut oil, lard, dripping, extra virgin olive oils etc.
    cheers
    Linda

• posted by vikki444
    on

Thanks guys I’m not scared of fats I just read a post that said you should be eating 1-1-5g protein of your ideal weight so will drop it to 1 and see what happens!
    So I’ve gone with 40g carbs (20% of total calories ) 70g protein (35%) and 40g fat (45%) what do we think? Thanks for the advice

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hello to the wise owls here!
    This may seem a silly question but when adding the grams of protein per day, do I count the fat AND protein in say, cheese, eggs or nuts as these contain both or can I use them as an either or?
    X B

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi vikki444
    Sounds much better!
    I wrote that original post re the 1-1.5g per kg of ideal body weight. The upper end is for those doing heaps of workouts every day of the week and wanting to put on lots of muscle so if not, best to stick to the lower end. I’ve actually read since then that the range should be more like 0.6 – 1.2g, so I wouldn’t worry too much.
    Remember to drink lots and lots of water and use salt, you need it when you don’t eat processed foods.
    Let us know how you go.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by ddraig_goch
    on

Hi Busybee. It should be total protein grams whatever the source. Same with fats and carbs. So a large egg (which is sometimes referred to as a whole food) would contribute 6g Protein, 5g Fat and 1g Carb towards your daily amount.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you – I think I knew it would be too good to be true to count just one in any one food!
    X B

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Yayyyyy another bee 🐝

I’m struggling yesterday and today,

The red wine in the cupboard is still calling me so I’m going to make peace with it.

They’re expensive wines so I’m not going to give them away instead I’m allowing myself this holiday period to have my wine, spend time with loved ones and not having carbs….Back on the wagon on Tuesday.

Having a dinner party but planned the menu in advance, doing an Italian theme with a whole roast salmon and salads as the main, meats and cheeses as appetizers and my bottles of vino πŸ™‚

Skipping breakfast so i can get in my 16 hour fasts and only eating in the 8 hour window.

Let’s see where this goes!

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hi bumblebee
    I am thinking the same thing as you – relax a bit on the calorie counting but keep off the nasty carbs, except for the vino! Just for the weekend of course and then back to one day at a time.
    Have a good Easter.
    X Busybee

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hi Bumblebee!

Thanks for replying and welcoming me to this discussion.

I had a good day today until I got home and ate crisps/biscuits and chocolate.
    I haven’t eaten half of my calories today so perhaps that has limited the damage.
    Why oh why do I do it????!!!!

Anyway, I’ll pick myself up and carry on the rest of the evening (with no more food – boohoo!)and start over tomorrow.

Lucy

• posted by MEG Leach
    on

Hang in there Lucy!! I had started out good today. Had a 2 egg omelet for breakfast then a chocolate protein drink for lunch. 160 calories, 30 gr. Protein, 5 carbs and 1 fat. Got off work and went shopping for Easter celebration with kids and grandkids. I was starving by this point and exhausted. Couldn’t stand it. We ordered pizza and picked it up on the way home. Limited myself to 2 slices but wow. First time in a week and a half that I have blown it so bad. Starting again tomorrow. Just like it didn’t happen. That is the difference in this plan. I have lost 12 pounds already and even if I stumble I know I won’t fail. Such a great feeling. πŸ˜€

Please log in or register to post a reply.