Starting or Restart April 2017

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by tracyrees72
    on

Hi again, Bumblebee thanks for the advice, I’ve discovered that I love Miso soup sachets, both the red and the yellow! It’s so quick and easy to do and only 26kcal per sachet! I weighed for the first time this morning and have lost 5lbs already since Monday, whoop!! That’s my incentive to push on even when I’m hungry, lol. I have a terrible sweet tooth but I have discovered that I can satisfy it when it’s really necessary with a Hartleys no added sugar Tropical flavour Jelly Pot, at only 2kcal per pot 🙂 I’m enjoying the meals from the recipe book, my favourites so far are the Thai Red Chicken Curry and the Pork Steaks in Mustard Sauce. It’s taken some getting used to all the cooking from scratch again, even for lunch (love the Speedy Spicy Beans but the prep time really isn’t that speedy, lol ) but I’m appreciating the results, so is my husband! My determination to keep going is high right now, I really hope it stays that way. Having the forum to go to for advice and pep-talks is very handy 🙂

• posted by vikki444
    on

Hi all where can I buy the miso soup packets? I’m finding not eating till dinner time and fasting from tea the night before helps but wondering what everyone’s average day looks like what do you typically eat what receipes can you recommend x

• posted by tracyrees72
    on

Hi vikki444, I buy my Miso in Tesco. I find that a mug of that with a small handful of nuts is enough to see me through the hunger. My days depend on my working pattern. On a day off I eat breakfast, my usuals are 2-egg scramble, porridge or greek yoghurt with berries. Lunch pretty much depends on what I’m eating for dinner, either a light one of Miso and nuts or something more substantial like Speedy Spicy Beans or Tuna Wraps from the BSD recipe book. My dinners are from the book too, Red Thai chicken curry, easy bolognese, pork steaks in mustard sauce, with either green veg, salad or cauli rice. If I’m working a late shift (16.30-01.30) then I’ll be sleeping in the day and starting my meals later in the day, they’ll be foods that are easier to eat at work, bacon and egg muffins, frittata, something I can prepare before and microwave like bolognese and cauli rice.

I have to admit that I was unsure of how well I would stick as I don’t do well with being hungry but my motivation to stick with it is the 5lbs I’ve lost in the first 5 days of the diet. I hope this helps 🙂

• posted by vikki444
    on

Thanks Tracyrees72 that does help will give the miso soup a try never had it before
    Is the receipe book worth getting do you think?
    Today I had eggs for breakfast (although I started at 13:30 and then tea at 7:30 was salmon with salad) been busy today so not really had to think about hunger alth

• posted by vikki444
    on

Thanks Tracyrees72 that does help will give the miso soup a try never had it before
    Is the receipe book worth getting do you think?
    Today I had eggs for breakfast (although I started at 13:30 and then tea at 7:30 was salmon with salad) been busy today so not really had to think about hunger although I’m starting properly after Easter!! Just wanted to try it out and see what happens

• posted by Planet
    on

Hi there. Im starting today. I have been inspired after reading all your posts. Thank you.
    Im not sure how to count calories exactly, will use MFP, but there is still a little guesswork involved.
    I want to lose 5 k to start.
    Im very active.

Heading top the chemist to see if I can get blood sugar monitoring kit this morning.
    And do you weigh and measure daily ? Or measure daily and weigh weekly ?

Breakfast today, was 1 poached egg, wilted spinach, 1/8 avocado and salmon. Black coffee with a teaspoon butter.
    (226 calories I think) 17g protein, Carb 8,Fat 13

I have set my settings after reading your posts at
    Protein 60g 30%
    Carb 30 g 15%
    Fat 49 g 55%

Is the fat percentage too high ? I kinda feel like I dont know what I am doing yet ?

Thanks Team April 🙂

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Planet
    Whilst I was losing, I weighed every day, but that’s what motivated me. Find what works for you. I didn’t bother measuring, I just used my clothes as a guide, but I wish I had as sometimes you lose inches but not weight on the scales and that is a huge motivator. I’m now at goal weight and still weigh most days just to keep me on track.

Your percentages look perfect.

Good luck and keep posting to let us all know how you are going.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Pendiente
    on

I’m gutted this morning as after a blip on Thursday – this consisted of a small amount of food but a lot of wine – I didn’t weight myself yesterday to give chance to lose it – I just weighed and I’m almost 2lb heavier! Honestly I could cry! – I’m soooo upset – that’s. The last time I do that!

Re the cookbook vikki444 – lots of people do use it, I bought it but have to say I’ve never cooked a single thing out of it. I think the recipes are all just common sense and i mainly adapt what I usually cook. I also think the main meals are quite high calories. There are plenty of ideas on the internet and I’ve had a few from there. It’s obviously a personal choice though. Good luck though x

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Welcome Planet. As Linda says weighing/measuring is personal choice. Some find it motivating to weigh every day, others find it disheartening (even make them want to give up) if the scales don’t conform to the downward trajectory. Find what motivates you and will help you stick to the plan. Personally I weigh and measure daily. As has been said sometimes the scales don’t go down but the measurements do as your body adjusts itself to what you are asking of it.
    You don’t say if you have blood sugar problems, so if not I wouldn’t bother with the monitor. The aim of this is to lose in a way that is sustainable for life i.e if you go back to your old ways your body will follow and you will be back where you started – probably worse off. Good Luck

• posted by runrascal
    on

Can I join this lovely thread please? I’m really liking reading it.

This is me; age 63, 4’11” and currently 9st2. Down 8lb since starting on 28 March (so not really an April starter, but I hope you’ll forgive me!) My target weight is 8st but my real concern is my abdominal fat, so I am really going for a healthy hip:waist ratio.

I am doing Fast 800. Not too bad tho
    I have had munchy days. I seem to find it best to eat as late as possible in the day as eating seems to trigger my mouth into wanting to eat. I know I’m not hungry, I’m not craving anything specific, I just want to be eating – does this ring a bell with anyone else?

Like others tea is my saviour, I never used milk in tea anyway.

• posted by tracyrees72
    on

Hi, I’m afraid that I’m not very scientific or mathematical with the diet, really can’t be bothered as I have such a busy day already, so I do just use the books for information on meal plans and calorie counts, seems to be working for me so I’ll carry on. I do like the recipes in the book and have used many of them already in the first week. If you are able to adapt others off the internet or from your own and can do the math then that’s a great advantage to use as you can suit your own tastes much more. I’m very admiring of people who can work out all those figures and ratios etc, math never was my strong point, lol 😉 I had apple and cinnamon porridge at about noon, going into work at 4 until 1.30 so will eat later today, let’s see how it goes 🙂

• posted by KimF
    on

Hi everyone – I am starting this tomorrow (yes – Easter Sunday!) – I have a lot of weight to lose as quick as possible in time for my daughter’s wedding this summer. I am 5′ 2″ and weigh 16 st (224lbs / 101.6 k). I am not diabetic but come from a family of diabetics – I do suffer from high blood pressure and an underactive thyroid. I am also recovering from recent surgery to remove gall bladder.

I have read the book, bought the cook book, planned my meals for the coming week and been shopping!

Do you need an app? I was just going by the calorie counts in the recipes but am worried now.

• posted by Planet
    on

Hi

I use an ap called My fitness pal . Its very good and easy to use . But after reading this forum , i am also gping to head to the shops tomorrow and get the cookbook . Sounds like all the hard work is done for you .

I went really well yeaterday until last night , being Easter, i was given easter eggs , so ate those and red wine last night . They were huge in the calorie count ! Im not going to beat myself up as i dont usually do that so its back on the good eating plan today . I still feel better already and can see where this will gomand how good i feel .
    Its going to be hard for the next couple of weeks as am going to stay with friends for 10 days so will do what i can but not as strict .

• posted by KimF
    on

Morning all (well it is morning in the UK)

As planned I have started today – breakfast was large mushrooms stuffed with spinach and feta cheese with some baked tomatoes (200 cal total). For hubby I added some bacon and a slice of bread and butter so he doesn’t moan he is still hungry!

Lunch I am planning Miso soup (24 cals) with some baby veg added.

Dinner I have a small fillet steak (100. Cals) shiitake mushrooms, asparagus and going to make the cauliflower cheese from the recipe book (450 cals)

Replaced my morning cup of tea with hot water with a slice of lemon added and am on my 3rd glass of sparkling water.

Feeling determined ………..

• posted by runrascal
    on

Bit fed up today. I went up a pound yesterday and have stayed the same today. I’ve been within my limits and drunk loads of water😕 This is the first time it’s happened. However, and this may be TMI, I haven’t had a poo for days. I’m eating plenty veg, drowning in water and have added chia seeds – any advice?

• posted by vikki444
    on

Hi guys had a cheeky weigh in this morning and I’m 2.5 lighter in 3 days
    Surprisingly I’ve not followed it that strictly being Easter planning on buying the receipe book to help next week but I am finding that not eating till lunch time so only having 2 meals a day seems to help I get a fast in there and then try and stick to 800kcals as I say not yet been following that strictly but will be on it come Tuesday!!

• posted by MEG Leach
    on

Well, it’s a new day! Had a very crazy weekend with kids and grandkids. Easter egg hunts, lots of food, lots of candy. Wasn’t horrible when we all got together for the day on Saturday. But just a little extra or giving into the white stuff ( white flour, white sugar, potatoes, etc) always increases my cravings which is not a good thing. Sunday when everyone was gone, my husband and I ate leftover ham, pea salad and then the leftover candy. Which I should have thrown away. Sat and ate over a dozen pieces of chocolate candies. This morning I was up over 3 lbs. And of course blood sugar was high. So today I must stay under 500 calories. Only eating 2 meals and drinking tons of water. And if it ever quits raining I’m going for a walk and work in my veggie garden.
    Want to say “Welcome” to a couple of newcomers!! KimF and Planet and anyone else just starting. I don’t get on here daily but every couple of days at least. It is so helpful to me to get ideas and hear other’s struggles and successes. Helps keep me going and accountable.
    Great job vikki444!! I’m very excited for you.
    runrascal just hang in there! My weight will fluctuate especially if I don’t have a good BM. So hang in there. Eat some almonds or some other fiber and keep doing what you are. You will get on that scale and suddenly have a 2 or 3 pound loss.
    Great start KimF can’t wait to hear how you do this week.

Everyone have a wonderful day!! And a marvelous losing week!
    MegLeach

• posted by KimF
    on

Thank you MEG Leach – I am sure you will get straight back on it now Easter is over. I don’t have children or grandchildren at the ‘Easter Egg hunt’ age – grandson is only 1 and my daughter was away for Easter – hence why it was easy to start. Weighed this morning and was 3lb down in one day – I am assuming it is water weight at this stage. Another good day today although have felt ‘peckish’ so had some yogurt and berries – thought it was a good choice.

Well done Vikki and runrascal I hope the bm have sorted themselves out. 😂

• posted by Planet
    on

Hello , post Easter . You are all so friendly and welcoming and encouraging. Thank you all very much.

I did ok over the break, not sticking entirely to 800 as had a couple of wines and scoffed an Easter egg down over, but feeling a lot better . I haven’t measured my blood sugar , but think I can feel when it’s out of whack. Or my health is out of whack. And I have been feeling so much better.

Found myself eating two meals , eggs at lunch with avocado and tomatoes or something similar and steak and salad or beef stew type thing made at night. Very little to no carbs . And am making a concerted effort NOT to buy lollies every day. A habit I have got into .

I dropped 2k on the scales, but to be fair, I’m actually back to my set point weight . I am usually this weight but last week when I weighed in had suddenly gained 2 k. It may have been a glitch .

Now the Easter holiday is over, its back into a routine. Although I find it harder when I am working .

Then after Thursday I am staying at friends for a week, not sure how I am going to manage that . Maybe just have dinner with them and limit during the day more ?

Keep going everyone, it’s a journey but one we are all in together. If we fall off, then pick yourself up the next day and start again . Nobodies perfect all the time 🙂

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Hi All. I am starting again. I had great results a few months ago and somehow it’s all slipped again. I truly believe that I am addicted to startchy carbs and eating them only causes me to eat more of them and then add refined sugar into the mix too. Easter is over and I’ve got to get back to it. I’ve gained weight and feel so stuck on the loss/gain/loss merry go round. I’m going for it and I hope to get some good results again. I haven’t worked out yet how to cope with times of some excess or departure from a way of eating, without it wrecking my whole over all eating regime. If I can crack that one, the weight will stay off permanently. I don’t have any issues with diabetes or pre diabetes and I am probably somewhere in the region of 1.5-2 stone overweight, but I am not complacent, I know I need to crack this somehow. Right now I feel heavy and unhealthy (again). I’ll post regularly and it’s great to share with others as it can really encourage you when it feels hard.

• posted by Pendiente
    on

I’ve just finished week 3 and have lost an amazing 16lbs and 4 inches of my waist!! That included going on a bit of a bender for one day last week – which took about 4 days to get the scales back to where they were and moving again!! (I probably shouldn’t say this but actually it was worth it! I was straight back on the wagon the next day and yes it took a bit to get down to where I was but it was fun – more alcohol than food actually). What I did for a kickstart was to start fasting 16:8 for 3 days. Yesterday the scales showed no movement but I didn’t panic and just knew that it had to be water or something and lo and behold this morning was a 3lb loss! I think I’ll fast 16:8 whenever I can. This morning I was going to again but after a very low carb day yesterday I just knew that my body couldn’t cope with it so had breakfast of avacado and egg. I’m starting to think of this as not a diet anymore but just the way I eat now – ie with minimum carbs. If I can get into that mindset then hopefully the odd setback will be manageable. Anyway good luck to all xxx

• posted by Trish45D
    on

Hi all,

This is my second time around. I lost 7 kilos before Christmas and then stayed about the same weight for most of Christmas / New Year but then the wheels fell off! I then decided a few times to go back to basic calorie counting but it just wasn’t breaking the cycle of carb/sugar eating like BSD.

On Monday I weighed in at 68.30 kg which was much more of a shock than I expected even though I knew after Easter it would be bad, still that was up a lot from where I was a month ago when I last weighed (65.90 kg).

I am now at the start of day 5 and this morning I weighed 65.40 kg. I had to get on the scale twice to make sure I wasn’t misreading that number! 🙂 Almost 3 kg in less than a week, so yes, there was a lot of fluid weight not kidding myself but still that is wonderful to start with. I do actually consider 65.40 kg to be closer to my ‘real’ weight.. So, on one hand I am really happy but on another I know I still have a lot of work to do! 🙂

• posted by Mama Houghton
    on

Newbie just starting 21/04/2017, weight 184lbs.

Using shakes for now and have set up a spreadsheet to track my progress each day with weekly totals. Taking each day at a time, have 2 litres of fizzy water to sip at all day. Counting steps as well. 11,281 yesterday.

We can do this!!!

• posted by LynnyPinny
    on

Hi all, new here – sorry for butting in…! I have just started the BSD; I’m not diabetic but was just looking for a way to lose some weight, get back in better shape and break my fairly horrendous carb addiction, and this method appealed to me as an all-or-nothing kind of girl. I’m currently just at the end of Day 3 and was hoping to have seen better results, to be honest: I’ve only lost 3/4 of a pound so far. I’m 5’7″ and started at 10st 4.5lbs so maybe I’m comparing myself to the results from people who have more to lose? I’m hoping to shift at least half a stone (more would be great!) over the next 6-8 weeks. Any advice, tips, encouragement or suggestions would be amazing as I’m feeling a little meh right now. Shaky and weak this morning, and struggling to drink enough water – oh, and craving carbs like nobody’s business. I’m also waiting for my copy of the recipe book to arrive (hello, Amazon…?!) so a bit lacking in ideas for healthy carb replacements or a good way around snacking. Hope everyone else has had a great day so far. 🙂

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

It is far too early to start discouraged and yes, a lot of us who experienced many pounds loss in the first week had a lot more to lose. That first week loss isn’t fat anyway, mainly muscle stored glycogen being burned and water retention disappearing. I think you will have enough to do at first worrying about fighting the addiction, and any sort of early drop in motivation like this is probably down to the cravings talking. Take measurements, particularly round the waist, and keep on keeping on for as long as it takes for the real benefits of the WOE to show. You may not even have entered ketosis yet which is why you feel a bit shaky. The stage when the energy comes back is when the fat is being targeted. Give it at least two weeks, and if you are still having problems try switching to the 5:2 variant or the way of life. Losses will be even slower, but it may be more comfortable.

• posted by LynnyPinny
    on

Thanks for that – feeling a lot better today and lost another 3/4lb. Hopefully that’s me on my way!

• posted by tracyrees72
    on

Hi all, it’s the dreaded period week so no weighing this week as it’ll just discourage me! But as an update, at my last weigh-in I had lost 8lb in 12 days, woohoo!! I’m happy with that. I did have a blip on the weekend when the jar of nutella in the cupboard (for the kids!) threw itself at me and forced it’s way into my mouth, I swear lol 😉 Back to good behaviour now, about to sit down and plan my weeks meals and shopping. I’m definitely going to try the korma recipe from the book this week. I love the way that I can cook enough for both myself and my husband for 2 days meals in one go, saving me so much time and effort. I made the Simple Egg Muffins on the weekend, oh wow they are lovely, and so filling, very handy for popping into a tupperware and taking to work for my brunch on a 10-6 shift. Right, that’s my update, so go for it everyone, the weathers a bit crap here in Swansea this morning so I’ll be doing my steps inside today but good luck to all for another successful week 🙂

• posted by vikki444
    on

Tracyrees nutella has a habit of that with me too maybe we should email them and complain lol
    Not weighed myself yet I was almost 5lbs down last time which is unheard with me on any diet really but I’m all focused those week
    Have you got the simple egg muffin recipe?
    I need to plan and weigh a bit more as at the moment I’m guessing amounts on mfp app which still seems to be working but want to do it properly!

• posted by tracyrees72
    on

vikki444, I think the consumer complaints dept at Nutella probably has a mountain of complaints identical to ours from women, lol 😉

Well done on the 5lbs, keep that focus laser sharp.

The muffin recipe – 100g mushrooms, finely chopped. Small knob of butter. 4 eggs. 100g full-fat cottage cheese. 4-5 rashers of bacon. 40g cheddar grated or feta crumbled. Small handful baby spinach leaves (or pre-cooked greens). Preheat the oven to 180C. Fry the mushrooms in the butter, then set aside. Beat the eggs with the cottage cheese and season. Cut the bacon to line the base of a 6-hole muffin tray. Add the mushrooms, cheese and spinach to each muffin hole, pour over the egg mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Ok, that’s from the book. Now, I used bacon medallions, 1 in each hole. I used 1 ball of frozen spinach wilted in the same pan as the mushrooms, was lovely. I used my 6-hole deep muffin tin and still had enough cheesy mixture left for 1 more! I ate 1 fresh out of the oven and it was just gorgeous!! I took 2 to work and had them cold and they were just as tasty and much easier to eat, lol 🙂

Hope this helps. enjoy 🙂

• posted by LynnyPinny
    on

Hi everyone… So I’ve just finished Week 1 of the 800cal BSD and I’m having kinda mixed feelings about it all. I’ve lost 2.5lbs in my first week; I’m reasonably happy with that as I’m not overweight and just want to lose enough to take my weight back to what it was a few years ago, help my clothes fit better and make me feel great for my holiday in June. I’ve also lost 2 inches off my waist, but none anywhere else as yet, which is slightly disappointing (I know, I know – be realistic).
    Problem is, for the last couple of days I’ve been feeling really, really low, a bit weak and shaky at times, and very weepy, which isn’t like me at all. I’m also cold a lot of the time. I should say that I’m only a day or two away from ‘that’ time of the month, so I suppose it could be the PMS from hell, but it’s not usually this bad at all. I’m not diabetic so don’t have any of the blood sugar or health issues, but I have still been trying to stick to around 800cals per day and keeping my carbs as low as possible. I’m finding it really hard to get enough fibre per day; although I am managing to drink 2 litres of water a day, which is a breakthrough for me since I’m a tea/coffee addict. I guess I’m just wondering if anyone else can chip in with advice or similar experiences? I’m determined to keep going but I’ve just felt so crap the past couple of days that I’m concerned if this isn’t a normal reaction to the diet. I actually felt so sad last night that I gave in and had a piece of dark chocolate followed by three Chocolate Eclair toffees, and then when I weighed myself this morning I had put on 1/2lb overnight. Anyway, hope everyone else is doing well and having a great day! Would love to hear from other April starters for a bit of mutual support. 🙂

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi LynnyPinny
    This sounds like the carb flu and is completely normal for week 1. It shouldn’t last more than a few days and you just need to look after yourself and take it easy until you start feeling a bit better.
    Check this out for more info:
    https://www.ketovangelist.com/the-dreaded-keto-flu/
    Also, here is some interesting info on fibre:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/
    Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by bani
    on

Thank you LindaA for the fibre research link – interesting reading and a relief to know that I don’t need to continue to eat high fibre, which results in making me ill but I thought it was the answer to my problems (rather than the cause!) – along with everyone else probably!
    I am struggling on the diet – I’m using the BSD book and the recipe book but my calories are still too high….sigh. I use the MFP to record (most) food and I have lost 3lbs but over quite a long period so I’m clearly doing something wrong, for example, eating too much! I shall press on and now that I don’t feel I “should” be incorporating more fibre somewhere, perhaps it will be easier. Onward and I’m going to reading the keto flu article now – I am armed with a huge amount of information, I just need to put it all into practice!
    Good luck everyone and keep at it!
    Bani

• posted by Newstart1966
    on

Hi all,
    I’ve just started the bsd today., I’m using shakes for the next few days( mainly to use up what’s in the cupboard !) I’ve just finished a stressful period with Easter and final college exams and eating chocolate like it was going out of fashion!! Back to work next Tuesday so hoping the next couple of days will kickstart weight loss around middle.. dad was type 2 so I’m heading there if I don’t take control now… any tips appreciated!! Thanks in advance…

• posted by LindaA
    on

You’re very welcome bani, if you’ve got any questions or issues just ask. I’ve been at maintenance for over 6 months now after losing 30kg and have done a lot of research over the last 12 months so I’m happy to help when I can.
    By not having as much fibre, it will be easier for you to keep your calories and especially your carbs down. That will help you lose weight faster.
    Just remember to drink at least 2-3 litres of water per day and stay away from anything that has sugar or starch in it.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by LindaA
    on

For those just starting out eating low carb, this website is a great resource for info, science and recipes.
    Well worth a look.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by bani
    on

Thanks Linda A and now you’ve given us another article to read – I don’t have time to eat!

• posted by LynnyPinny
    on

Thanks Linda – good to know it’s not just me (hopefully!). Looking forward to reading the articles later. 🙂

• posted by Falldown7times
    on

Hi all,

I started on 19 April. 3rd day was horrendous but I felt better the next day. 5th day I had lost 3kg (!) but gained on the 6th and 7th days. Feeling pretty good on it at the moment.

Anyway I hope it’s ok if I join this thread too? I ordered the book from book depository on the 14th, they are obviously sending it by sailboat, but I have it from the library.

Fall down 7 times, stand up 8.

• posted by LynnyPinny
    on

Hi Falldown7times, I started on 19 April too and agree, my third day was fairly horrible! Hope things are still going well for you; I’m trucking along and approaching my Week 2 weigh-and-measure this Wednesday so am looking forward to seeing what the results will be (although I did cheat a little this weekend – red wine…). I’m trying not to put too much pressure on myself as I felt that sticking strictly to 800 cals and super-low carbs was really affecting my mood in a bad way (it was making me horrendously weepy and sad, and I’m not normally like that at all). I am keeping to the diet as much as I can and I have improved my eating habits A LOT, plus I’m not diabetic so it really isn’t a life or death situation for me. If I can keep losing a bit of spare poundage, tone up a bit more and eat better, then it’s all good. 🙂

on

Lynnypinny my BSD twin! I don’t have diabetes either and am not super strict. I make a plan but if something changes I don’t go back and count the calories.

Wednesday morning here and at the end of 2 weeks I have lost 3.9kg and 5cm off my waist. Really pleased about the waist measurement.

I just bought a spiraliser, I hope I actually use it! I have a lot of trouble thinking of the low pasta, low bread diet as a permanent lifestyle change at the moment so trying not to look too far ahead and just taking it one day at a time.

• posted by vikki444
    on

Falldown7times I know what you mean about the carb alternatives although I bought a spiralizer and mainly so butternut squash courgette and carrots I tend to roast them all in olive oil and garlic or something whilst cooking something else and to be honest very filling and very tasty!!
    Carrots and hoummous are also my new best friends and if I’ve done spag bol for family I tend to just have more meat and no pasta or very little if I feel I need it!!
    Not been too strict with the counting this week so we shall see when I weigh in!
    Finding the missing breakfast and fasting till dinner is helping though cups of tea and water get me through lol

• posted by LynnyPinny
    on

Falldown7times your results are awesome! I’ve been considering a spiraliser but at the moment am quite happy just using a regular peeler to make ribbons instead. I too agree about the carb alternatives – I tried Slim Rice a couple of days ago but it was completely disgusting and stank, so I won’t be going back there again! I never really ate a lot of bread, but I do love rice and pasta, so I’m missing them quite a bit. However, in tune with our ‘not too strict’ policy, I’m going to have a treat this morning (one of my very favourite things – an almond croissant) as I’ve just done my two-week weigh and measure and I’ve so far lost a total of 5lbs and 2.5 inches off my waist. I’m pretty pleased with this and aiming to keep the diet going at least until my summer holiday on 5 June. The only thing bugging me today is that I can’t get my hip measurement to shift yet – nothing at all lost there. Guess I’ll have to up the exercise a bit more now! Hope everyone’s having a good day. 🙂

on

Vikki444 spiralised veges roasted in oil sounds delicious. Will have to give that a try! I did use the new gizmo for a salad tonight and novelty of curliness made me happy on its own. I do put off my breakfast until after 1030am, but fasting all day sounds hard core! Do you do that every day?

LynnyPinny your results are awesome too! I will try to be happy for you and not jealous that you have lost more off your waist than I did 🙂. You know a low waist to hip ratio is apparently sexier as well as healthier so you should forgive your hip measurement. But go ahead and exercise if you want to. I am doing hiit of a kind by running up outdoor steps. 10sec is so short that I can talk myself into it. I live in a very hilly place, there are steps instead of paths everywhere.

• posted by vikki444
    on

No Hun I just fast till around 12/1pm so get a 16hr fast in then try to eat within the 8hr window don’t really do it on weekends but the med diet seems to help me more don’t feel anywhere near as deprived as I do in some others I’ve tried and I prefer wholemeal stuff anyway and it’s certainly helped me eat more veggies xXx

on

English dinner = New Zealand lunch. New Zealand dinner = English tea. I forgot. It all makes sense now.🇬🇧🇳🇿

on

I am really struggling today. Maybe the novelty is wearing off? I have a real temptation to just say “the hell with it” and go and stuff myself on something sweet and starchy. After all I am still fat and I have been doing this 16 whole days! I’m not hungry, just in a giving up danger zone. I am writing on here to try and talk sense into myself. Long term health and vitality! A bunch of flowers 🌺 if I can make it to tomorrow! A miso sachet then some coffee and some Netflix.

• posted by Michele62
    on

Falldown7times, don’t give up. Distracting yourself with Netflix, having some miso soup are excellent strategies. I also work out how long until the next meal, sometimes I start the preparations a bit early so my body knows food is coming and occasionally I have 1/3 – 1/2 a glass of kefir. I also think about my goal weight and imagine how I will look and feel when I get there. You can do it!

• posted by readytochange
    on

Well I’m still going and after a couple of blips (long weekend in Spain and a 40th birthday party) I’m 11 pounds down. It will be my 5 week weigh in on Tuesday and I have a bit of a dilemma. I’m going to Greece for a week where I plan to follow the principles but not calorie count and not refrain from alcohol. As I won’t be doing the full 8 weeks should I start trying to maintain from the week before or follow the BSD 800 right up to the day I go. I don’t want to put all the weight back on through not planning correctly if that makes sense. Any advice would be appreciated. I plan to get back on plan when I return.

• posted by LynnyPinny
    on

Falldown7times don’t give up and desert me, my BSD twin! I’m in pretty much the same place you are at the moment mentally – I got a bit fed up with the whole 800 cal thing and had a huge binge on Friday night (having promised myself ONE glass of red wine, I had three as well as lots of chocolate and crisps…); but I’m more determined than ever now to keep going. I’ve been pretty good again today and am firmly back on the 800 cal track again from tomorrow. This week’s Wednesday weigh-in might be a bit crappy, but so what?! I’m doing this for me and I’m the only one who will be annoyed and disappointed if I don’t stick at it. I just can’t bear the thought of being on the beach in four weeks’ time feeling fat and gross. Hope you’re feeling better today and still sticking to your guns. What’s motivating me right now is a photo I found of what I DON’T want to look like on holiday – every time I look at it, it reminds me why I’m doing this and what I want to achieve (getting back to a weight I haven’t been in probably 20 years).

Please log in or register to post a reply.