Just starting out…would welcome some company :)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MissFreddieSausageDog
    on

Hi SueBlue read your post, something to try, I drank a full half pint glass of water before every meal about 20 mins before, for about 4 days. also with your meals just watch what you are eating as you may be taking in too many carbs. remember no bread or anything similar. but some veg can be higher in carbs. also if you can do the walking I find its helping greatly. good luck and keep us posted. xx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks Miss Freddie, I will try drinking water before meals as you suggest. I have been walking very close to
    10,000 steps a day. I haven’t been eating bread etc but this week am monitoring carbs more closely. I love porridge are for breakfast but am making sure I don’t have say quinoa or higher carb veggies on the same day as I’ve had porridge. Also increasing fat slightly by using olive oil and vinegar on my salads. Hopefully all these things will work!

• posted by Summermoonstone
    on

Hello. I started on 16th January but have only posted a couple of times though have been very interested in all your posts, I wish we could reply by email when I receive your posts by email on my phone it would be nice to reply immediately. I lost 7lbs the first week which was great but have only lost 1lb a week since and in actual fact put on 1lb last week (no idea why). So 12lbs in four weeks. Whilst my weight loss hasn’t been great what has been wonderful is the reduction in my blood sugars! I have type2 diabetes and was taking fast acting insulin before every meal and long acting insulin once a day. I rarely have to take the fast acting insulin now … perhaps once a day sometimes and very much reduced dose. The fast acting one I still take every day but a very much reduced dose so to me that is far more important . I am overweight but have been all my life despite numerous diets. I dont really enjoy this diet, constantly trying to think of something to eat (just don’t think I’m organised enough or enjoy cooking enough)and I can’t say I feel better for it as most of you do. However I shall persevere because of the tremendous reduction in my blood sugars. Everyone on here is doing so well.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

End of Week 6 update for me and am very happy. I took onboard the advice from everyone here and have lost an amazing 1.3kg this week – my best week since Week 1 πŸ™‚ so a total loss of 5kg (11 lb?) since the beginning.
    I also took measurements again and have now lost 20cm off my bust, waist and hips. And a health check yesterday showed that my BP and heart rate are now normal and my ‘heart age’ is 55 (was 65 a few weeks ago – and I’m 51!).
    What did I do differently!? Basically drank more water, ate more fat, and kept net carbs to 50g-60g most days.
    I had a busy week and ended up keeping meals simple – I had the same breakfast all week (steel cut oat porridge with apple and cinammon), mainly because it keeps me full for 6-8 hours, great when we are busy at work and my lunch break is late.
    I had salad almost every day for lunch, basically lettuce, tomato & cucumber as a base then I varied the ingredients – tuna/pumpkin & feta/boiled egg & cannelini beans/feta, roast capsicum & olives – and then an olive oil & vinegar dressing.
    Dinners were just our normal family favourites – curry, bolognaise, chilli con carne etc.
    I am trying to make at least one new recipe a week. Yesterday I made a pumpkin, feta & spinach quiche with a quinoa crust. Recipe was from a Diabetic Living magazine I borrowed from the library – quiche was delicious, recipe said it served 4 but I am getting 6 serves out of it.
    The other goal I had was to walk 70,000 steps over the week. I’m up to about 61,000 so should get there today.
    Anyway, here’s to the final 2 weeks of Round 1 for me any everyone else who started around 16 Jan. πŸ™‚

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

So great to hear everyone’s good news. Thank you all for keeping on posting, it really helps me. Last day of week 6 for me. 10kgs down, I wish it was more of course, but got blood test results yesterday which were fabulous. Liver enzymes amazingly reduced and BSL normal! No more insulin and no diabetes medication at all! Cholesterol medication halved. Blood pressure and heart rate both down. Only concern is increased uric acid which can lead to gout or kidney stones – because of increased protein in diet. So I have to drink more (how?) but all made up for by diabetes improvement. I’m a very happy camper today. We go overseas for 6 weeks at the end of April so I’m continuing until then and feel pretty confident of not blowing the whole thing once on holidays. Not being on insulin is just so great!
    Thanks for the support!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done Summermoonstone, SueBlue and Chrissie, you are all doing tremendously well, but really sorry that you are not enjoying the food, Summermoonstone, as that must make sticking to the BSD very difficult for you.

Last day of week 6 for me too and my update is that, despite hitting 2 plateaus (one of them this past week), a 10 day holiday (when I tried to be stick to BSD principles and walked miles) I have lost a total of 19lbs (8.6kg) – 3 and 1/2 (1.6kg) while I was actually on holiday. πŸ™‚ My weight loss has slowed dramatically, but I think it always does as one gets nearer one’s target – very frustrating, but I fear it’s a fact of weight loss life! πŸ™

However, on the plus side, after not losing any inches at all on my waist (the only measurement I took pre BSD) for the first 4 and 1/2 weeks, my tape measure is now recording a loss of 3 inches, all within the past 10 days. That in itself is something to celebrate.

Thankfully I didn’t start out with any health problems, and BP has always been towards the low side of normal (110/70) so it will be interesting to see if this has dropped any more on BSD when I get my annual health check in May.

Keep up the good work everyone – we are all doing amazingly well. πŸ™‚

• posted by Theodora
    on

PS Forgot to mention that, in the 6 weeks since starting, my body fat %age has dropped by 3.1% (so now at the upper end of “healthy” for a woman of my age) and my BMI by 3.2 points (now just 1.2 points to go before dropping into upper end of healthy) πŸ™‚

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Summermoonstone, how can we help you to enjoy the food. Are you just not keen on cooking, maybe like you said you are not organised. It is well worth it to try new things. I love the aubergine lasagne, the chicken & mushroom ‘pie’ and the roast chicken break with roasted red pepper and asparagus. I think I have a lot more variety now than I did before as I used to live on salads and homemade soups. I never eat the same thing I any week so lots of choice but, yes, it is hard planning. That is what my Sunday afternoon is for. If you would like some suggestions just give a shout.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I personally don’t put in much effort in organising. I just make sure I keep the fridge and freezer well stock with BSD friendly foods and then choose each day what my menu will be, depending on what’s available and what I fancy eating. Broadly speaking, I keep things simple – most mornings it’s greek yog and I vary the toppings to ring the changes, but some mornings might be scrambled egg and smoked salmon, or a small kipper fillet or similar. Lunches are usually salad with a protein element, but it’s sometimes a soup or Mediterranean platter, with cold meats and a bit of cheese, salad/pickles for instance. Evening meal is either meat or fish with veggies or salad, sometimes I’ll make a sauce – last night was a steak with a mushroom and Roquefort sauce and some salad. My spice draw has had a renaissance since I started this way of eating and I’m using herbs and garlic more again too, to keep foods interesting. I find that keeping things simple is the best way to go.

• posted by Theodora
    on

This thread seems awfully quiet – where are all of you mid-Jan starters? I need some company!

On the plus side I am now on day 4 of week 7 and, after yet another plateau in week 5, the scales are dropping very nicely again (4lbs in the past 8 days) so am now within 6lbs of my original target weight πŸ™‚ I have, however, now reduced my target weight by 4lbs, so another 10lbs to go. My intention is to stick with BSD800 for just as long as it takes, but it would be nice to reach that target by Easter, which is 6 weeks away.

Please can we hear all of your results please?

• posted by NewClaire
    on

HI everyone, I’ve been a bit quiet lately so thought I’d give an update. Started on 16th January and after 2 weeks I lost 12.5 lbs which I was delighted with. When I got to 14.5lbs I took my foot off the gas and went into maintaining mode prematurely! For the last 4 weeks I have had good days then the occasional treat (I’m talking pizza, crisps, bottle of champagne on Valentines, a night out with beer, burgers and chips!). I learnt not to weigh myself after the bad days and just get back on the horse and do a weigh in at the end of the week, so the good news is I kept the weight off so it is absolutely do-able to stay at your target weight – once you’ve reached it! I’ve been back on it this week and have lost just over 2lbs so far so am now on 17lbs off. I will keep at it as I can’t wait to get to 20lbs off, that will keep me going to lose another 20lbs which is my dream weight, although if I can lose 30lbs total I can see maintaining mode beckoning again. πŸ™‚

How are all the other 16th Jan starts doing?? Good luck all!!

• posted by NewClaire
    on

Theodora that is amazing – 10lbs to go!!!!

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Congratulations Theodora! And everyone else!
    I am in the middle of week 7. So far I’m 11kgs down (not sure of pounds) and at least 20 more to go. But BSL is good so I’m happy. Staying on 800 cals until we go away at the end of April so that is probably another 6 weeks. Will try and stay low carb at least on hols and not worry too much about calories. But this diet has changed everything I felt and thought about food so I can’t imagine I will be bingeing. I can’t eat as much so that is a big difference. Carbs push my blood sugar up and make me feel lousy the next day so I even LOOK at food differently. It’s my birthday on Monday and we are going out for dinner- to a place that serves lovely seafood. I may have a glass of bubbles tho!
    It’s lovely getting messages from this page so please don’t go away yet!
    Best wishes
    Chrissie

on

Hi folks, sorry been a bit busy this week had my mum over with a terrible head cold and the cough from hell as she is 83 I was looking after her, good side is she is off to the sea side with her friend for a few days so the sea air will do her good. I lost 3 lbs last week so that took me up to 20lbs just 1 pound off 1st 7lbs, I hope I make the 1 1/2 this week as that will be after 7 weeks and I really cant complain with that result. I feel so much better I have to say.
    One thing I have noticed and reading your latest posts I am thinking I may need to go to my Dr’s for a BP check, as I am only on 2.5mg of Bp tablet daily I am finding abput an hour after I have taken it I am feeling a bit giddy. is this because my BP may have dropped to normal and by taking a tablet its dropping a bit too low. I think I will give them a call to get a check up. Lovely to see every ones results, we all seem to be ticking along nicely. Weigh in this Saturday feeling positive to reach the 1 1/2 stone marker. then the next goal is 2 stone. keeping the faith. xxxx

• posted by Theodora
    on

End of week 7 weigh in today recorded a loss of 2.25lbs since last week πŸ™‚ And BMI has dropped from 26.1 to 25.6 in the same period. πŸ™‚

So loss to date is 23lbs in 7 weeks. Not earth shattering, but a nice steady loss – cant believe that I am now at the start of week 8 already, though I shall continue beyond the original 8 weeks to achieve my original goal of 28lb loss (so only 5lbs to go) and, hopefully go beyond. I would like to lose at least another 10lbs (which would take me under the next stone mark), and hopefully 17lbs which would bring my BMI down to a very nice 22.6.

Getting addicted to seeing the scales go down every day so, assuming I manage to lose the 17lbs, I may even attempt to go further, though O/H says I am mad, and that there will be nothing left of me πŸ˜‰ But I will see how I feel / look once I get there. He also tells me that losing weight highlights my wrinkles. Grrrrr! Just as well I love him πŸ˜‰

How are the rest of you doing – this thread is awfully quiet these days, can’t believe that anyone has given up?

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi all, is anybody there???

I do hope the fact that this January thread has gone totally silent (apart from me πŸ™ ) doesn’t mean that everyone has fallen totally off the wagon and given up? I cannot imagine that is the case, as so many of you had stuck with it and were approaching the end of the 8 weeks. Hopefully you are all still going strong (or even reached your targets?), but just too busy to post, but now that the first 8 weeks is well and truly finished, it would be nice to hear how you all have done / are doing.

My final weight loss for the 8 weeks was 24lbs, 4lbs short of my original target of 2st, so I am keeping on and doing a 2nd round in the hope of losing at least another 10lbs.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

on

Hi Theodora – we are on the same field, I have also lost 24lbs too really wanting to get that extra 4lbs off to reach 2 stone it would be a real mental boost to reach that target. Then just take it a week at a time to get more off. Last week I only lost 1lb which the first time that I have lost so little, still I guess that will happen as time goes on. I certainly haven’t cheated once on this diet, and I don’t drink so there have been no slip ups. Still positive outlook and even though I only lost 1lb last week I did actually lose 1/2 ” off my waist – crazy this diet gives you that little boost here and there.
    I went to Costco this week, ( love their meat and fresh veg) I also found something new from Quaker its called Super Goodness Porridge – Has protein, fibre and omega 3. contains flax seeds and quinoa came in a box of 37, 30g sachets which you then fill the empty sachet with milk to give the correct amount. Its really nice sugar free and has those little bits in that are included in this diet, and for me keeps me on the right portion control. so be interesting to see what this weeks weigh in brings. Having more chicken this week, plus green salad and steamed green veggies, kale, French beans and tender stem broccoli. Good luck on your progress and keep updated on here as I will, its nice to have someone who is at the same level of loss as myself, keeps the spirits up. xxxxx

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hey, MissFSD – really good to hear from you, was feeling a little lonely here, so joined another January starter thread “Starting in January 2017 – Anyone?”

You could be writing my story – not only have we both lost 24lbs in our 8 weeks, but I too, very disappointingly, have only lost one pound since 6th March, so the past 10 days, but am hoping for a visit from the Whoosh Fairy soon as I am sticking 100% to BSD800. But, also like you, I did lose 1/2″ from my waist. Maybe we are twins, separated at birth πŸ˜‰

Thanks for the tip about Costco, but I hate porridge πŸ™ My breakfast of choice, which I am now totally addicted to and can’t see me ever changing it, is Fage Yoghurt and berries – just love it, and am salivating even thinking about it! πŸ˜‰

Let’s keep motivating each other – we don’t have that far to go, so I know we will both get there.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi Theodora and Miss FSD, I’m still lurking here, just haven’t posted as nothing much to report, plus very busy at work this week.
    Weight loss wise I’m a bit annoyed. I finished 8 weeks last Friday, and had Saturday ,and Sunday “off” before starting Roind 2 on Monday. I wasn’t going to count calories on the 2 day break, but I did, the total for the 2 days was 2500 (so 900 calories extra).
    When I weighed myself Monday I had gained over a kilo πŸ™
    It has taken me all week to lose that kilo, so now I’m back to where I was a week ago.
    Miss FSD I can only imagine your fristration at slow weight loss especially as you have not strayed from the plan (unlike me 😊)
    I have had a return of joint pain this week (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis), I had a huge reduction in pain and swelling since being on BSD and I think, for me anyway, there is a connection between wheat and inflammation as I had wheat products on my 2 days off. Of course this could also be coincidence, we have had a week of rain and storms so it could be the weather too… or just my whacky immune system!
    I have a friend’s birthday dinner to go to tomorrow, so that will be a challenge.
    Other than that I guess I’ll keep on keeping on!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Meant to add well done to both of you (Miss FSD and Theodora) on your 24lb loss! That’s fantastic.
    My loss for the 8 weeks was 13.2lbs. While no where near your losses, i was still happy with that considering i have really only been sticking to 800 calories on 5 days a week (and 1000-1200 on weekends).
    I was also happy that I lost what I did as my GP said it is hard losing weight when you are on Prednisone, and also Insulin resistance (which I have) makes weight loss more difficult.
    I would like to try and stick to 800 calories every day for the next 8 weeks but I just don’t think it’s possible for me with the different holidays and events I have coming up in that time, so I’ll stick to a more flexible approach with calories as I have been, and see if I can lose a similar amount again. Then it will be on to Round 3 – but I best not get ahead of myself!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Sue – good to hear from you, and sorry you are suffering with your RA. I think it may very well be diet related, not that I am a doctor, but I have friends with RA and they say they find it can definitely be triggered by certain foodstuffs. And, crikey, you did well to lose weight whilst on preds. Well done you.

So please log in with your progress in Round 2, albeit a more relaxed round 2. I have lots going on during my Round 2 as well, but shall stick on plan as best I can, but will definitely be more relaxed when away (first challenge – Gourmet Break next week)

On the plus side, after only losing 1lb in the previous 10 days, I was thrilled when I stepped onto the scales this morning to see another 1lb gone πŸ™‚ Not sure how that happens, no movement in 10 days, then whoosh a pound gone literally overnight. But, however, it happens, I’m very happy to take it.

on

well we are all ok, that’s one thing, Yes the FACE greek yougurt is rather yummy, I can get a really large pot from Sainsbury but its nearly 5 pounds a pot ! but I do make it last all week, I like it with fresh raspberries and chopped nuts. I tend to do a week of porridge then a week of yogurt. been eating chickens and eggs this week, mostly green leaf salads too. Trying to vary the diet a little to see if that provokes a diet change, Saturday first thing is my weigh in time, so we shall see. I feel its a fish week next week. also try and up the exercise a bit oh and have a drink loads of water day ( pref one where you are at home most of the day) I find a lots of water day seems to give me a system flush.
    Good luck for the next weigh in xxxx

• posted by Theodora
    on

Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow MissFSD.

On a point of interest Sainsburys have the large 1 kg tubs of Fage yoghurt on offer at the moment at Β£4. A large tub lasts me 8 days so, as they had a sell by date of 20th April, I bought 4 today πŸ˜€

• posted by VicandMuz
    on

Did your doctor support your choice to do this diet? I am hoping to start it by the end of March, I have put on weight since stopping smoking but it’s more for my partner who is a skinny type 2. At least I am hoping to God that it’s only type 2 or this may not work for him. He’s been on insulin for 12 months and his hypos scare me to death. Got a doctors appointment on the 29th and hoping that he is open to this diet. So pleased for you that you are improving re your insulin. Good on you!!

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Hi VicandMuz,
    I have been a Type 2 Diabetic for almost 16 years, on insulin for about 3 years. After 6 weeks of the diet (and I was strict) I am off all my diabetic medication, including insulin, and am just diet controlled. My doctor approved the diet, as did my dietician. My GP did not expect me to get such a good result. I am thrilled to bits. I no longer have hypos and it’s great not being on insulin. A new lease on life. I have a lot of weight still to lose but this diet has really given me great blood sugar results and its easy once you get past the carb withdrawals (about three days in). It’s a way of life for me now.I am at week 9 and have lost 12.5kgs. Good luck to you and your partner.
    Chris

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Chrissie63, that is what I am hoping for. Been T2 for 12 years and on insulin for most of that as I couldn’t tolerate oral meds, I also take glycazide 60mg daily which is cut from 90mg. I was on 38 units of insulin but now down to 22 but I get scared to reduce any more as I dont want BG to go back up. It is currently 5.4 on latest HbA1c test. It will happen. I got up this morning and my BG was 3.4 and is regularly around 4 or 4.5. I know that is low but it doesn’t worry me any more, I dont seem to get hypos and if I start to feel a bit weak or shaky I just have a couple of prunes and maybe a Greek yoghurt. Hubby does have kittens when I say I am feeling strange, he gets in a panic and says ‘bloody diet’ yet when I go to the fridge to get something to eat he says ‘are you supposed to be eating that’ or ‘is that your second slice of ham today’. No, I really cant win with him but I just do as I want. My doctor is pleased with me as all my numbers are in normal range, just need to get rid of the insulin to be really normal. Even my BP was 110/60, cholesterol 3.4 triglycerides 1.60 so cant ask for much more than that. As I always say, keep on keeping on….

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Sunshine-girl – your numbers are great! Better than mine. I was keen to get off insulin as it makes it so much harder to lose weight. My husband has been kind of on the diet with me (well, only at dinner time plus giving up alcohol) and he has lost 10kgs. Men have everything easier!! Congratulations and keep going.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Chrissie and s-g, you are both inspirational, and what BSD is all about. πŸ™‚ Keep up the good work πŸ™‚

Chrissie, well done on your 12.5 kg loss. I too am just finishing week 9 and I have lost 11.7 kg, which I have just realised is 15% of my starting weight, so feeling quite chuffed. πŸ™‚ A little way to go yet, though, as I am aiming for 20%, so let’s see Round 2 through.

• posted by Linda from Laceby Victoria
    on

Hello All,

I am 6 days into the BSD after getting the nasty numbers from my Dr. (prediabetic; cholesterol 8.9!) Not wanting to be medicated she directed me to the Fixing Dad website, which led me to Dr Mosley’s BSD. Downloaded it to my Kindle and Voila – 6 days later I have lost 2 kgs and am not suffering from hunger at all! I have switched over to red wine (and am slowly bringing my consumption of it down….. it’s difficult but I find that the more weight I drop, and the regular exercise at the gym put me in the mindspace of not wanting to sabotage my good efforts!).

I find my menopause symptoms (except for the hot flashes: sorry ladies πŸ™ have dramatically lessened, and the constant, weird buzzing feeling through my whole body has all but stopped (I’m pretty sure this was my body trying to cope with all the carbs – even the good ones). This buzzing feeling was horrible (it felt like my whole blood stream was in pain – it was the weirdest, and most distressing feeling and I have had it for years – anyone else have anything like that? I’d be keen to hear).

I’m not missing carbs too much, nor am I obsessing over food. I actually feel great, I have a more positive happy mood and I’m excited about the next few months!

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Hi Linda,
    The buzzing feeling you describe sounds like high blood sugar to me – but I’m no expert. And you are right, it is your body trying to deal with too many carbs and not enough insulin (or usable insulin) that gives you that feeling. It’s horrible. Should go away completely in the next two weeks.
    welcome aboard and congratulations!

• posted by Linda from Laceby Victoria
    on

Thanks Chrissie,

That would be an added bonus to never experience the buzz again! What really blows me away is how soon your body starts to feel different/good. Imagine if there was a chain of Mosley Clinics worldwide that people went to BEFORE they saw their GPs……

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Yes, it was very quick for me too – once I got past the sugar withdrawal which was horrid. I think most people would need a motivating factor to do something that seems so strict. I am just starting week 10 and its not much of an effort anymore. I can go out for meals and have no trouble leaving food on my plate. This is a diet but I can do it, and I feel confident that when I eventually lose all the weight I will be able to live like this.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done Linda on your first week’s results. The great thing about the BSD way of life is that you start to see results really quickly, which is very motivating. So keep up the good work.

End of Week 9 for me, so official weigh in day and I am pleased to report a drop of 3lbs this week, which is more than I have been losing of late, so very pleased. Now within 1.5lbs of my original target (of 2 stone loss) and 5lbs from my revised target, which would get me under the 10 stone mark.

I also have a bit of a NSV in that, for years and years I have had a constantly gurgling tummy – embarrassingly loud, and almost non-stop – no pain or discomfort involved, but occasional bloating. Anyone near me simply can’t believe that my tum can possibly make so much noise! Plus, sorry for TMI, but my errr – let’s say my movements have always been loose. Well I certainly don’t have loose movements anymore, and just the other week I realised, and o/h commented upon, my tummy has been totally silent for weeks! πŸ™‚ BSD has been worth doing for this reason alone! Now I’m wondering if I have had a slight intolerance to wheat all these years?

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi Theodora, I definitely think I’ve had a wheat intolerance as for years I’ve had IBS as well as Rheumatoid Arthritis. Since cutting out wheat I no longer have IBS and my joint pain is all but gone, except when I reintroduce wheat.
    Linda, my feet buzz! It’s like my toes and the soles of my feet are tingling and buzzing -‘this stopped for the 8 weeks I was doing Round 1 and only came back again last week – after I had a toasted sandwich and a scone. This weekend I was also “off plan” as was away and having meals out. I had some toast – and Sunday and today have sore, inflamed wrists and hands and buzzing feet. When I see my doctor later in the week I’m going to ask about tests for wheat intolerance/sensitivity – but I’m also going to stick to BSD properly for the next 7 weeks and see if everything settles down again.
    I wasn’t surprised to see that I had put on 300g last week (my first week of round 2), but as my average calories were 1100-1200 per day I can understand why.
    So I’m back on the plan today, and re-focussed!

on

last weigh in last Saturday another 1lb loss, slowly slowly making my way to the magic 2 stone loss, so frustrating though to be getting an average of 3lbs a week and then when I really wanted to get to 2stone its goes poop, and I am slowing down like a deflating tyre ha ha. still I shouldn’t complain as its still a loss. if I think sensibly every week I am eating green vegetables ( lots of kale and broccoli, courgettes which seem to contain more water than anything else & cauliflower rice, fish, chicken, the odd steak, eggs, a little grated cheese, lettuce and water cress and spinach. Porridge or greek yogurt ( the full fat one) and NO bread, rice, wheat, potatoes, pasta, cake, biscuits or anything else containing sugar. I am using recipes from the book. I would be shocked if I put weight on. I need 3lbs to get to 2 stone – I will get to a 2 stone loss. Then I will take my next goal, little by little, roll on warmer days, sunshine, salad days every day, and being able to go for a walk without the wind blowing my head off and wrapping up like an artic explorer. Positive vibes folks – we are all amazing for doing this in the first place. xxxxx

on

Well week 11, weigh in, after two weeks of a – 1lb loss I wasn’t expecting much, BOOM had to get on the scales twice, this week was a -5 lb loss, I cant describe how happy this has made me feel, I have reached my 2 stone weight loss plus another 2lbs that’s a 30lb weight loss. What did I do differently – I just changed a few recipes this week, ate a bit more fish too. Exercise levels were about the same – rain had a lot to do with that. But you know when you think ” I feel thinner this week” but you tell yourself “who are you kidding its all in the mind” and its not. This week the weather is forcast to be a lot nicer so happy dog walking this week, and getting out in the garden – lawn mowing will be a good work out on top. From the 8 week BS recipe book this week I am going to do some different recipes I am going to try the Green Lentil and Feta Salad. ( have never really tried lentils much). Tuna & Artichoke & Butterbean salad ( have never tried Artichokes so that’s a new one) This is a little higher in Carbs at 30g, so will just have protein only for my other two lighter meals. Quick Quiche which only has 1g of carbs and going for the Courgetti Carbonara which is 3g of carbs even though it has double cream in it. So some new things to liven up the taste buds this week. Strange how your tastes change – before this diet I was a bit of a cake monster – I love cake, and shortbread and the Scottie Dog biscuits from Sainsburys pulled me in every week. However 11 weeks in and I have a craving for Smoked Mackerel – “wow” my new patio table arrived this week, just need to aquire a new parasol and cant wait for warm summer days and eating a new lovely salad in my newly re landscaped ( dog proofed) garden.
    My weight loss per week has gone like this -: loss in pounds.
    End of week 1. -6
    3, – 3
    4, -2
    5, -4
    6, -2
    7, -3
    8, -3
    9, -1
    10, -1
    11, -5
    So don’t give up if you suddenly go a bit flat like I did, just change up the diet a bit change a few recipes I am sure your body gets used to the same things. Plus – no booze at all, and no falling off the wagon. Good luck everyone – stay motivated xxxxxxx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done Miss Freddie on your fantastic loss this week πŸ™‚
    The Tuna & artichoke salad from the book is lovely, I had it a couple of weeks ago. The serving size was quite big, so I actually halved it when having for lunch and added some salad greens to it. I tend to have a decent breakfast (250 – 300 cals) and so don’t need such a filling lunch as what the full serving of this salad is.
    I haven’t had a good week 11, have put on 500g (1lb). Am not surprised though as I only stuck to 800 calories for about 3 days. I’ve had an RA flare which made my feet, knees and wrists really swollen and sore and I’ve had to double my steroid dose – a side effect of which is increased appetite (can understand why prednisone is also known as Satan’s tic
    Tacs). The pain in my hands also makes it hard to do thinks like chop veggies, lift saucepans etc, which makes cooking harder of course, and pain in my feet meant I couldn’t do as much walking as usual.
    On the flip side though, the steroids have brought my pain and inflammation under control and I feel much better today. I have a renewed focus and have planned some 800 calorie menus for the next few days. then from Thursday I’ll be off plan for a few days while I’m on a short break, but I’m planning to just stick to the BSD principles while not measuring foods and counting calories.
    Then it will be back to a strict 800 calories from Monday week until Easter.
    Hope all of the other January starters are doing well πŸ™‚

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done MissFSD – that is an amazing one week loss, particularly this far in. I’m hoping for similar, but doesn’t seem to be happening.:-(

Sorry to hear you have been struggling SueBlue, but really pleased that the preds have got the pain under control. Here’s hoping for a better week.

I lost nothing at all last week, as we were away on our “gourmet” break so ate and drank far too much (though I did stay off refined carbs, apart from the alcohol, of course). I actually put on a pound in fact, and thought it would shift really easily but 3 days at home, being really, really strict, and it hasn’t gone yet! πŸ™ Monday’s are my official weigh in day, so really hoping for better news tomorrow! But I keep thinking that, if only I hadn’t gone away, I wouldn’t have put a pound on and, in fact, may even have lost a couple so by now I would have been 3lbs nearer my target (which was only 5lbs away before I went away). Oh well, we are where we are, will try really hard this week and hopefully make some progress.

Good luck for the coming week.

• posted by Theodora
    on

So much for hoping……………

End of Week 10 Official Weigh in and the scales say I weigh exactly the same as I did last Monday πŸ™ And worse, a whole pound more than I weighed last Tuesday πŸ™

I know I was away for 3 days for my “treat” from o/h, but I really thought that after being home since last Thursday evening, and having been ultra-strict since then, that I would have dropped the rogue pound that I had put on whilst away! But sadly, no! πŸ™

So back to the drawing board………………………….

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Commiserations Theodora! I can understand your frustration. Lately I’ve been up one week, down the next and also up and down in the same week. I stood on the scales this morning and was a whole 1.5kg (3lb) less than I was yesterday! But I know I’ll stand on the scales tomorrow and it will be different again. I think with me that some of the gain is fluid retention – my feet and lower legs were quite puffy last week.
    My GP did mention that salt can cause fluid retention, and so I’m wondering Theodora if the food you had on your gourmet break may have had more salt in it than you have been eating lately?
    But I wouldn’t worry too much Theodora as you have done so well so far. A small gain here and there is not much in the scheme of things, as long as we keep on top of them and reverse them.
    There’s always going to be holidays, weekend breaks, birthdays, Christmas, Easter etc – I think we need to cut ourselves some slack sometimes.
    I have been recording my weight on My Fitness Pal and the graph is up and down, not a straight line downwards – but it is heading in the right direction which is the main thing!
    Hope you get a visit from the Whoosh fairy soon!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Thanks, SueBlue, very grateful for your encouragement. You must have very strong willpower to continue each week when the scales keep going up and down. I’m not sure I could have done it, so well done you! πŸ™‚

This is actually the first time in my 10 weeks to date that the scales have shown an upward movement and my FatSecret graph has been showing a very nice downward curve. But considering I have had a 10 day holiday (during which I actually managed to lose 3.5lbs) and a 3 day break, I guess I shouldn’t be too disgruntled! I just really thought that, as soon as I was back on BSD800 that pesky pound would disappear quickly, especially as my maintenance plan was to have one or 2 fast days a week to keep things in control. Oh well, back to the drawing board with that too………..

• posted by Theodora
    on

Just reporting in that on Week 11, Day 3 I have finally gone below my original target weight (2st gone). However, I did revise my target down by 4lbs half way through, so now only have 3.75lbs to go! πŸ™‚ That will give me a weight I would be very comfortable with, and a BMI of 22.5 but I may go for another half stone or so, just to give me some wriggle room in maintenance. Feeling good:-)

Really hope everyone else is still doing ok?

on

oh bless you the RA I can only imagine must be so painful and yes steroids do have quite dramatic effects on your body. It makes everything else so much more difficult and I totally admire your strength and will power xxx

on

Well you cant eat away on a gourmet weekend, I think I would have put a stone on given the chance. so be very proud of only a pound. It will come off again. Good luck xx

• posted by Theodora
    on

Thank you MissFSD.

Official weigh in for me today, and am pleased to report a drop of 3.75lbs since last Monday, which means this week I have sailed past my original target weight, and am only 1.75lbs short of my revised target (revised to bring me under the next stone – psychological thing really and only 4lbs lower). So very happy πŸ™‚

I’m just starting Week 12, and I’m thinking of continuing at least for the rest of Round 2 to give me some wriggle room as the thought of maintenance, let alone gaining any weight back, terrifies me. I’m happy to keep going as I’m enjoying the food, feel better than I have in years, and am thrilled to discover that I actually have ribs and hip bones πŸ™‚

How are the rest of you doing? It would be lovely to hear from you. This thread, which is the first one I joined at the beginning of my journey, keeps going awfully quiet πŸ™ So I resorted to gatecrashing the “Starting in January – Anyone” thread too. πŸ˜‰

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Congratulations, Theodora! It’s those kinds of results that make the plateaus and gourmet weekend derailments all worthwhile. πŸ™‚

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Miss Freddie – thank you for your kind words. I’m feeling much better this week, a double dose of steroids for a week did wonders, and I was able to enjoy a short family break. Thanks to the steroids I was able to walk over 107,000 steps for the week. On the downside I didn’t lose any weight (actually gained 0.7kg), but I was eating more (I had planned to be off plan for 5 days), but it could be in part due to steroids as I know a side effect is weight gain. Already I’ve lost 0.5kg in the last few days since returning to a strict 800 calories per day.
    I learnt some valuable lessons during my “off plan” time – carb-laden foods are not satisfying! I was consuming twice the calories but not feeling anywhere near as satisfied as I do with my usual BSD foods. I couldn’t wait to get back on plan πŸ™‚
    Theodora – well done on your recent losses, I love reading how well everyone is doing.
    I keep losing track of which week I’m in but I think it’s Week 12 day 3 or something for me. Or Round 2 week 4 – I’ll be around a lot longer yet though as still have about 3 stone to lose.

• posted by Theodora
    on

WOOOHOOO!!!!!
    I’m so excited. ……….I’ve got there!!!!! It has taken 11 weeks and 4 days but this morning I reached my ultimate goal! πŸ‘πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰πŸŽŠ
    And that’s 18.6% of my body weight gone! πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰πŸŽŠ Doing the happy dance here – and that will use a few more calories too😜

Now for a few more pounds to give me a bit of wriggle room 😜

Hope the rest of you have a good day too.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Wow Theodora! HUGE congratulations! πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸΎπŸΎπŸΎπŸΎπŸΎ
    And very well deserved! You have been a constant source of encouragement and inspiration, and very dedicated. So happy for you πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Please log in or register to post a reply.