20th Feb Starters

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by kv87170
    on

Can’t remember reading it in the book but can I ask everyone how many carbs (grams) they are sticking to each day? Also, am I meant to be eating a certain amount of fat each day? Should I be monitoring whether I’m in Ketosis?

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hellyshear, you mention a metallic taste in your mouth? This is a pretty sure sign you are in ketosis, which is great. The taste is caused by ketones when the body is breaking down fat to use for energy. I don’t think everyone gets the taste (I do) but consider it a good thing – hopefully it means you are a fat-burning machine πŸ™‚

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi kv87170

As far as how many carbs and fat to eat, try this:
    Proteins and carbs have 4 calories per gram and fats have 9 calories per gram.
    You want no more than 50g per day of carbs x 4 cals = 200 cals.
    Eat between 1 – 1.5g of protein per kilo of IDEAL BODY WEIGHT. Eg, if your ideal body weight is 50kg, then you would need between 50-75g per day, for the sake of the exercise, lets go with 60g of protein x 4 cals = 240 cals per day.
    Now 200 cals + 240 calls = 440 cals.
    Subtract that from your 800 calories limit and you get 360 calories worth of fats \ 9 calories = 40 grams per day of fats.
    If your not losing weight, reduce your carbs and increase your fats accordingly. Hope this makes sense.

I monitor my ketone levels, but I don’t believe that a lot of the others do.
    I’ve got the Ketonix breath meter as the urine strips are not accurate, especially after the first couple of weeks and although the blood tester is cheaper initially, the strips you need are quite expensive.
    I’m in Australia and paid $275 for the Ketonix.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Weigh in Monday
    Feb 21 = 88.2
    Feb 28 =85.2
    Mar 6 = 83.9
    Total loss 4.3kg/9.5lbs
    Am a happy bunny but VERY bloated this morning think too much cabbage n broccoli yesterday and not enough water. Weekends my downfall – gotta get more water.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey- thanks for the advice re the almond milk- will give this a try- as long as the coffee still tastes like coffee! Lol

I think I am ok with breakfast and lunches- it’s the getting home from work before dinner when I am most hungry and then I tend to eat something I shouldn’t- I may just try cooking when I get in- I normally wait for OH but he comes home 2/2.5 hours after me- I am home by 5-5.5.30 and he gets home 730 so by the time we eat is 8pm.

Weekends are still my down fall as I always eat things I shouldn’t and never drink enough of anything!

I have been good and not had a drop of wine for the last 2 weeks

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Hi chelle I keep celery cut into sticks and hummus in the fridge for when I get home at night. The chewing of them makes you feel that you’ve actually eaten and I find keeps me satisfied until a late dinner. You could have cheese if you prefer. Or you could have your dinner and have OH cook his own when he gets in haha

• posted by Tomlin
    on

Well done luckylinda that’s great weight loss I weigh on Tuesday but am dreading it as succumbed to wine at the weekend.
    LindaA thanks for info on carbs, Can you tell me where this is mentioned in the book I hadn’t realised and have not been counting them at all!!!

• posted by Maggie-may
    on

Happy Monday Morning everyone! The sun is out here in Surrey (UK) after a wet and soggy few days so it feels like a good day today.
    I know I posted on Saturday so excited at reaching my first stone loss, but extremely surprised to find I’ve lost another 1.5lb this morning – so total loss so far 15.5lb in 3 weeks!!!! I REALLY cant believe it – I have never managed to lose weight like this before and even though my aim was to reduce my BP & HbA1c and not succumb to the diabetes meds, I have to admit the weight loss is a fantastic by-product!! I haven’t felt this good in years (and I really do mean years!) – it was amazing to see the scales this morning showing 19st something – that was an extra boost having gone down from 21st something in 3 weeks!!!! down from 21 to 20 then to 19 – it’s a miracle! As you can see I have a long, long way to go but just taking it one day at a time.
    Good luck to everyone with their weigh in today and if you have had a bad weekend don’t beat yourself up (I succumbed to a Custard Tart on Saturday in celebration!), it’s only a blip, get back in the saddle and start afresh – you will only get support from everyone here not ridicule, so don’t give up. This is hard work but the rewards for us all will be fantastic! Have a fab day :-))

• posted by kv87170
    on

Thanks LindaA that’s really useful. I think I might need to reduce my carb level a little more as the weight loss has been quite slow this week even though I exercised for 5 of the days.

So my weigh-in so far:
    20 Feb 73.6kg
    27 Feb 71.3kg
    6 Mar 70.7kg

Still down but only 600g! Hoping the scales will catch up this week if I lower my carb intake. I’ve lost almost 3 inches off my waist so it’s definitely working.

Maggie – That’s an amazing result! Well done! No wonder you’re so happy!

• posted by Allypally
    on

Hi Everyone – hope all feeling pretty good today. Particular hi to Maggie as I am a Surrey girl too!

Am here to give a shout out to all us Tortoises – we will all still get there in the end. I have been out twice this week so knew the loss wouldn’t be great ( not in control of what other people give you) and I have a couple of leaving dos etc this coming week BUT rather than use that as an excuse for not bothering the rest of the time, I am staying with the programme for all the other meals. As someone once said – don’t let 2 meals out of 21 be your excuse……
    So my rather slow but Tortoise like results ( sorry kg people but I am an imperial girl)
    20th feb 13st 3.2lb
    28th feb 12st 13.6lb
    6th March 12st 12lb
    – so 5.2lb so far but even more importantly 2 inches off the waist and 3 inches off the “fat bit” ie tummy. If I can still lose weight despite Life and Eating Out intervening this must be a great diet. Hats off to everyone sticking to 800calories each and every day but I want to encourage the Slow Losers to keep going. Remember both the Hare and the Tortoise got there in the end….

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

I agree wholeheartedly allypally and would have always considered myself a tortoise and would of course had had a day (or two) to live life well but my agreement with doc is 8 weeks only and if this dosnt work meds it is – so its terror rather than determination that is making me more a hare this time πŸ™‚ I already have two autoimmune disorders which I have no control over which requires injections and tablets so if I can get control over this I feel that my life is not all predetermined. I believe that however fast or slow or blips along the way as long as you embrace this new way of eating/living that we all will be healthier and happier. All I worry about is that my bloods wont improve after all the effort! First check in with diabetes clinic is the 15th (halfway mark) so hopefully the loss will be reflected.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Good to hear positive results from the Feb 20th starters. Remember, a loss, no matter how small, is still a loss so keep going all of you, you can do it.

Allypally, my husband proposed to me at Ally Pally – crikey, that was 49 years ago!!! And on only our 3rd date!! And still together after all these years πŸ™‚ Mind you, that could soon change if he persists in telling me that losing weight is highlighting all my wrinkles. Grrr!! πŸ˜‰ Anyway, just wondering, is that where you got your user name from?

• posted by Maggie-may
    on

Hi Allypally,
    Thanks for your encouragement. Ah! another ‘Surreyite’, that’s great – I absolutely agree about the hare and tortoise, I have always been a tortoise taking months to shift just a few meagre pounds, which is why I am so amazed and excited this time. I am certain that in the coming weeks, my weight loss will diminish to a trickle and that is when I will really struggle and always have done (mentally it’s so hard to stay on track when you cant ‘see’ the light at the end of the tunnel).
    I honestly don’t think it matters how quickly or slowly people lose the weight and for whatever reason (we all have our own reasons and demons to fight!) as long as we keep trying and having a support network like this is fantastic.
    Keep going everyone.
    Thank you kv87170 for your kind words too

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

This week lost 3lbs8oz!! 2oz off a stone lol- and 2 inches off my waistline- feeling happy- we are into week three now!!! Good luck everyone

• posted by Snoop
    on

Chelle, you could maybe consider miso broth (teaspoon or so of miso paste in not-quite-boiling water). Very low in calories and carbs but it’s surprisingly satisfying because it’s so savoury.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Thanks for the tip

Today so far so good – yoghurt and blueberries, lunch rocket, ham , tomatoes and picked onions- tonight I am having stuffed mushrooms with feta for dinner. I have bought some almond milk and not really convincedA however I don’t like chucking things out so I will keep with it- means today I am well within carbs and 200cal under 800 πŸ™‚

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Thanks Theodora- I had no idea about being a fat burning machine!!! I will not complain or worry about the taste- it’s a good thing lol. I love this group x

• posted by Keid
    on

Evening 20th Feb -ers,
    Well I’m 8lb total loss, 2 inches of my waist, I plateau-d all last week with no loss at all but finally today another .5lb has gone so scales finally shifted. Hoping that will continue this week. Hope you’re all well x

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Tomlin
    Don’t worry, you didn’t miss it, it’s just what us old timers have worked out what works after being told by the old timers before us!
    Those with T2D or insulin resistance find they have to go lower to reduce blood sugar levels and lose weight, but I’m one of the lucky ones that used to be just ‘fat’ so could stick to no more than 50g per day.
    Even now that I’m maintaining, I still stick to less than 50g per day and find that is the secret to not putting it all back on again, even though my cals are quite high due to the increased amount of fat that I eat.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

So tonight after my mushrooms with basil feta and pine nuts I have felt sooo bloated- don’t think big field mushrooms agree with me- when i normally eat mushrooms I normally have them in mince- anyone else have same issue?

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Hi Tomlinson and others, if you are T2 you will work out for yourself how many carbs your body can lose weight with. I have reversed my T2 at least for the last 6 months and have never gone less than 50 gems of carbs and regularly have up to 65/70 grams. Try things out. Record carefully and work out what you need to do. One rule for all other than 800 cals just does not apply.

• posted by Apple
    on

Happy Tuesday everyone! Congrats to you all on your amazing losses over the last 2 weeks. I must admit I avoided posting yesterday, after my blip early on in the week I regained everything I’d lost in week one and despite being super strict for the rest of the week that weight didn’t move. I’m putting it down to the plateau that seems to commonly occur as I definitely feel better in myself and have lost 2inches from my waist so something is happening πŸ™‚ Anyway I had a sneaky scale check this morning and I am 2lbs down – yey! A small loss as we’re now in week 3, but a loss to report at last!

Chelle1981 I can’t say I’ve had any problems with big mushrooms and I tend to have them quite a bit. My favourite is with a tiny bit of chorizo and cheese for the days when I really miss pizza.

Quick question, has anyone else found that they are craving salt? I eat gluten free so haven’t eaten much in the way of processed foods for a long time. I have always added a pinch of salt when cooking but have never really been keen on the taste of salt so I’ve never added it to a plate of food. At the minute I find I’m putting it on everything – even sprinkling over salad – is this weird? Maybe I’m drinking too much water and this is why? All answers gratefully received πŸ™‚

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

That’s brilliant apple – we won’t be able to call you apple much longer πŸ™‚ As for salt, I’ve never cooked with it nor added to meals but now invisible string attached to shaker can’t get enough of it. I put it down to all the water, not eating highly processed foods,and improved taste buds. Am just going with it for awhile longer and then track how much sodium I’m taking in just in case I’m having too much.

• posted by Apple
    on

I’m still looking fairly apple-like at the minute but now that 2lb has gone again it feels like things should be moving in the right direction once more. I have learnt a valuable lesson not to cheat again haha! I’m glad it’s not just me with the salt problem at the moment, I did wonder if I was drinking too much but I’m not forcing the water down, just getting through about 3- 4 litres a day. I’m trying apple cider vinegar before meals too and that takes some diluting down! It does make a lovely dressing though mixed with a bit of olive oil and whole grain mustard – with salt πŸ™‚

• posted by kv87170
    on

Finally down to 70kg…Yippee! Have taken your advice Linda by reducing my carb intake and upping my fats a bit. Shifted 800g yesterday so I’m thrilled!

• posted by Apple
    on

Whoop whoop kv87170 sounds like the weight is flying off πŸ™‚ What carb level are you aiming for at the moment?

• posted by kv87170
    on

Hi Apple, I’ve lost 8lbs so far which I’m pleased with. Yesterday my Carbs were 30g, Fat 48g & Protein 34g. Going to aim for around 30g of carbs each day. I can probably up my protein a bit & see how that goes. What are you doing at the moment?

• posted by Apple
    on

I’ve been keeping carbs below 20% (40g) I can’t say I’ve paid too much attention to the protein or fat percentages so they vary but to keep MFP happy I set them as 35% protein (70g) and 45% fat (40g). I’m still a bit annoyed with myself for putting back on all the weight I lost in week 1 but I have a really good feeling about this week πŸ™‚ 2lbs down in total so far but now that the scales are moving in the right direction I think I could make up for it this week

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Well I am down another notch on my belt so that’s 2 notches in 3 weeks πŸ™‚

Making soup for tomorrow and Thursday’s lunch- fish asap argue and salad for dinner

Bang on target today with 753 calls and 48g carb- this includes my milk- I cannot stand the almond milk- had 1 cup this mo Ning and had to force it down- then didn’t have another cup until I got home- measure my milk to 50ml and stuck with water for rest of the day

Findpgets crossed my goodness continues

• posted by kv87170
    on

Seems very similar to what I’m doing Apple. The pounds should start shifting for you. You sound really geared up for this week so look forward to hearing your progress!

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Weird question but has anyone noticed their sense of smell has changed? When walking to work yesterday, the fumes from cars driving by seemed enormous – also certain food smells making me gag – the only time this ever happened to me was many many years ago when pregnant – and there’s no chance of that πŸ™‚ Don’t know if it is just me or the diet? Anyone?

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Morning all!
    WOW everyone is doing really well!
    Been a busy week here and glad to report that it’s been a successful one down another 2 so that’s 12 in total also noticing it in my work clothes which I’m thrilled about πŸ˜€
    The salt thing – yes craving it so much more but like others think it’s down to the quantity of water – I’ve also now bought a 24 pack of fizzy water which I have just rediscovered. I’ve also amazingly stopped craving salad dressing and enjoy my salads for work so much more with just with a sprinkling of sea salt – can’t tell you what a massive change that is for me as I used to smother everything in salad dressing which was so high in sugar.
    Sense of smell – can’t say I’ve noticed but will give a big sniff today when I’m out and about.
    Hope you all have a great 800 day x

• posted by jpscloud
    on

I’ve managed two full days of control after lots of very wobbly behaviour. I slept very well last night and feel great this morning.

Hoping for another good day today.

I haven’t noticed change in sense of smell but I haven’t done enough days in a row to really be able to say. I do notice after the second day food starts to taste really good. I also feel more alert and more inclined to be active.

• posted by kv87170
    on

Hoorah…69.7kg this morning! Finally into the 60s. I’ve got just under 10 weeks until our family holiday to Orlando, Florida and I’m hoping to lose another 5-7kgs.

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

woopwoop kv you must b walking on air (literally!)

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

mmmm cottage cheese & ham salad for lunch – not convinced this will keep me going until 7pm – should have stuck with my eggs
    πŸ™ – anyone got any fav lunches?

• posted by Apple
    on

I’m the same Oh2bthin – usually veggie omelette with cheese or scrambled eggs with smoked salmon or mackerel. Salads are ok for work but I have to have yogurt with berries and nuts mid afternoon as I don’t tend to eat dinner until 8pm ish. Although I have found a mug of Bovril helps – low cal and savoury so you fool yourself into thinking it’s food! I must admit I’m feeling much more in to the swing of things this week. No straying above cals or carbs and I seem to have more energy. As long as I plan my evening meal one day ahead I can balance lunches around that. Still quite content to stick to coffee instead of breakfast and then my lunch and dinner can be that little bit more substantial. How is everyone else finding week 3? πŸ™‚

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

No fav’s it’s pretty much whatever I can throw together the night before sometimes leftovers sometimes salad with protein. I guess I should be better organised πŸ™‚ had a mad dance with gluten Tuesday (unintentionally) and still paying for it. No movement on scales and not bothering measuring waist as its probably PLUS instead of minus. I hope it turns around soon as I have midway check up at clinic next week and want numbers to reflect the hard work so fingers crossed – and toes -and eyes, well pretty much everything in hope πŸ™‚

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey all- been really good last couple of days – been good today too but as I had pepper and squash soup for lunch it’s high in carbs- I have about 270cals left for dinner but no carbs- just wondering if anyone has any tast ideas that are v v low carb

• posted by kv87170
    on

What about a 2 egg omelette with cheese?

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Yeah was thinking that but I don’t find eggs very filling

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

I’ve just had chicken, mushrooms, broccoli, cooked in chicken stock pot & 2tbsps cream 8.9g carbs & 368cals very filling after my cottage cheese.
    I’m with you apple I skip breakfast & have salad with protein at lunch & usually a decent dinner.
    Luckylinda- hope all goes well- sure it will be good news as we all have everything possible crossed for you as well x

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Everything crossed for you here too LuckyLinda. I have managed every day this week except for a blip last night – late home from work and had to get petrol… ended up with sandwiches and crisps and a cappuccino as well!

Back on track today. Tomorrow may be difficult but we’ll see. Felt very tired today, I wonder if it’s a carb hangover.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

So I ended up with a bit of a random dinner and managed to keep to my remaining 5 carbs to hit 50g! ( I know a lot of you stick to 25-30g but for me 50 seems hard enough!

Ended up with 2 scrambled eggs with 2 mushrooms with a tomato, some basil, pinenuts and 15g feta and a slice of Ham –

I hate cooking for myself so could have easily been a blip as I used just end up with toast or a bacon sandwich when OH home late!

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Well I am definitely a ‘lucky’ linda ’cause I feel blessed that I started this on 20 Feb with all of you. You all seem positive and determined despite the blips along the way and it is great to get the suggestions and reading that we are all going through the same πŸ™‚ Happy to know all of you in cyber space!

• posted by kv87170
    on

Yippee, my Itsu Miso Soup packets arrived today. Only 44 calories per serving and 5.1g carbs per serving. Will probably add some chicken and vegetables to make a nice meal. Anyone else using Miso Soup?

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Yes I’ve had it and added veg and prawns it’s really nice. I think I’m addicted to feta cheese – didn’t like it before this diet!!

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Tonight I made a butternut squash and halloumi curry for dinner tonight with spinach and mushrooms in- so tasty- I’ve weight 4 potions out of of it and got in to 309 cals- with the squash it is higher in carbs at 18g per serving but is done thing new and tasty to add to my meals πŸ™‚

I’m out tomorrow for lunch with done people I don’t know- OHs old boss- hoping out for lunch and already searched the menu for a salad- I’m driving do I can just stick to water- in the evening we are out drinking with friends so have worked out if I I vodka lime and Soda it’s the least cals and carbs –

• posted by Mariet
    on

Woohoo, my copy of the recipe book cane yesterday and I’ve worked out some meals for the coming week. Tonight I had pork in mustard sauce- wow!! I can see that one is going to be a staple. I had it with steamed asparagus and beans and I feel very well fed now ☺

Good luck with your lunch Chelle, I was out with friends at the pub last night but found there were lots of options. I hope it goes well for you.

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Hi all, hope everyone is still fighting the carb monster! You are all doing so well, it keeps me dusting myself off and having another go when I visit the forums and especially this thread.

So this week wasn’t bad, the days that I’ve cheated were less cheaty than usual. I’m doing a bit of a two days off for the weekend, but trying a new thing… have something too carby if all else fails and I really have to have it, BUT cut it in half first. It worked last night, and I really didn’t feel the “sod it I’m going to binge” attitude threatening me much at all.

Please log in or register to post a reply.