20th Feb Starters

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by kipling
    on

Hi
    was doing OK until the weekend and then got totally derailed – anyone else have a problem over the weekend? Other family members providing treats etc and I gave in.
    trying to get back on track today!

• posted by kv87170
    on

OK, week 1 weigh-in for me! 71.3kg. Down 2.3kg (5lbs)!!! Yippee…That’s good for me. Waist down 2 inches! Now measuring 33inches.

I’m feeling better in my clothes too. Hoping to get below the 70kg mark this week and then I can treat myself (not food)!

How’s everyone else going???

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Hey apple and kv that’s great news – feels good don’t it? I’m down 3kg thank goodness as like Kipling found the w/e hard. Forgot to drink water and although stuck to food plan made BIG portions this cold now gone into chest and still feeling miserable hope this clears soon as I want to b 100% at this (my waist is 45″ and I’m only 5’2″) so I really have serious work to do!

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Well done everyone!ive lost 10lbs and 2cm!
    It’s hard and yesterday I had the wrong choice in foods and felt odd all night- too many pulses!!
    Keep going everyone we are now in week 2!!!

• posted by Allypally
    on

well done all
    I am with you, Kipling but not stressing about the weekend – I have lost 4lb and 2 inches off my waist so very happy with that. And that is including having low carb but not particularly small portions at the weekend and having wine too…..confessions.
    But if I am able to be really good for 5 days with as near to the 800cals as poss and then stay low carb but not as strict at the weekend, then that is my version of 5:2 – or should that read 2:5?????
    Anyway, I am really pleased with 4lb – I know it won’t be as much as others and am well jealous of Hellyshear BUT it’s 8 tubs of marg, no longer around my midriff.
    Onwards and upwards into week 2 everybody!

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey all – I started the week before you on 13th and have had ups and downs- my thread has gone quiet so thought I would join this one too for support.

I am a big fruit lover- always have- and I am finding it so hard not,to eat fruit and stick to 50g carbs- I can do 800cal but not on 50g carbs – any suggestions?

Breakfast is yoghurt and berries, lunch I have been having either the red pepper and squash soup- high in carbs but I find it sooo tasty- or a rocket salad- with a salad tomato pickled onions and either a bit of ham or feta- dinners tend to. E fish salad a greens or home,ade burgers- spag Bol – I didn’t like fishy fish and not a lentils fan- just wondering what you all have- also I try and cook a main for OH too but he does not have any spice

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

It’s hard isn’t it. I’ve been having the same thing as amounts are so small! Salad with feta and walnuts for lunch and a small apple or pear! Only managing 1 piece of fruit a day.
    I do find salmon ok and I’ve had griddles chicken too! I’ll try the burgers not thought of those. I made spicy bean burgers and hated them!

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Yes it’s hard to get the balance- I do love fruit and veg- I do miss fruit and today I probably had too much- blood oranges are now in season and these I cannot resist!

Also I do love grapes- I am limiting these tho as know they are just full of sugar!

Weekends I am finding hard- this weekend I wanted wine but I resisted- I could easily drink a bottle of red to myself

I’m still having 3 cups of coffee with milk a day- I do go over my 800cals but as long as I am between 800- 950 I am happier

I’ve made big changes within the last 2 weeks- breakfast was a banana, morning snack of 2 satsumas lunch was either salad, soup or a tesco meal deal with a smoothie and another couple of bits of fruit- home I would dunk a couple of biscuits- dinner woukd be pasta or cottage pot something with rice cous cous or mash

I actually dread to think how many calaroies I did eat-

I have my wedding in May 2018 so I am on a mission to drop a couple of stone- I do like this way of eating- I’m not diabetic but it runs in the family – so far I feel much better- I just need to be more adventurous and try new things rather than sticking to what I know and like- I’m with you on beans and lentils- not a fan!

• posted by kv87170
    on

I’ve been eating Greek yogurt with mixed berries and a sprinkling of Omega super seeds every morning. Lunch sometimes is a 2 egg omelette with mushrooms, asparagus & a little cheddar cheese. Today I had a turkey breast & ham Subway salad with cheddar cheese and Hellman’s mayonnaise. For convenience I have also been buying ready made salads from M&S. They also do some awesome dinners that use courgetti & chicken if you’re feeling lazy. My downfall at the moment is too much goats cheese! It was my daughter’s 5th Birthday today and I managed to avoid party food and cake!

• posted by CMsortingmylife
    on

Morning,
    Weigh in yesterday = 8lbs & 5 inches – even though a spectacular dive at the weekend … was going to be a taste Saturday night which turned into full blown Sunday session… Yes, I lost control – but decided I’d be straight back on it for Monday & so far so good.

Must not jeopardise myself every weekend. Started a local Mindfulness course on Saturday which I think will help.
    Happy Tuesday
    x

• posted by Keid
    on

Morning! After a big weekend of wine – I was scared to weigh in today. But! 6lb down and 1.5
    Inches off my waist! Yay. I’m super happy with that. Just need to lose one more lb to get down into the next stone bracket too which is exciting. Going to keep focused this week and see if I can get there.
    Food today:
    B – tea
    L – omelette with bacon and mushroom
    D – chicken, broccoli & courgetti
    S – small handful of Brazil nut (super low carb nuts, my new fave!)
    Keep on keeping on! X

• posted by Maggie-may
    on

Had a good weekend even managed to go out to dinner with friends without doing any damage. Lost another 4lbs last week so total loss over 2 weeks is now 12.5lbs (5.6kg). forgot to measure my waist but work trousers and jeans definitely looser! Face looking less bloated so people have noticed that which is such a boost.
    Found second week much harder than the first but stuck to it and seeing the results makes it so worth it but it is hard – my mouth still wants something sweet after my evening meal and it knows if I cheat it with ‘healthy’ sweet things! Have found a small glass of R-Whites lemonade the best ‘cheat’ so far!!
    I know I need to be stricter with the weighing of things rather than estimating – weighed cottage cheese out for breakfast this morning and I have previously over estimated by a long way!!! Looking forward to my cheats ploughmans at lunchtime and my Higgidy Spinach, Feta And Pine Nut Pie (well half of it!) – if you haven’t tried one they’re yummy and available at most supermarkets in the UK reasonable on Calories and very low in sugars. Keep going everyone, it’ll all be worth it in the end!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone,

I’d love to join the group. I started on 20/2 but haven’t posted here-I’ve been reading for a few days.

I’ve struggled with weight on & off all my life. Last year I was 85.2 kgs (13st 7) at 158cm. I lost 8kg over 6 mths but it was slow work. I’m really hoping this new way of eating and thinking about food will help me change for good. My son is getting married in September and I really don’t want to be the short, fat mother of the groom!

My first week I lost 1.8kg, modest compared with lots of you but so exciting for me! Even better I lost 2 in from my waist and an inch from my hips ☺

I can tell from reading all the posts here that this will help keep me on track over the next 7 weeks and maybe longer. I find the diet quite easy to manage, not too hungry just empty at times. I can tell that keeping away from the wine bottle is going to be my big problem! I do like a glass or two with dinner but I hope the goal will be worth a few weeks of sacrifice 😊

I look forward to seeing your experiences and being inspired and encouraged by your successes!

• posted by Keid
    on

Thanks for the pie recommendation but as it’s got wheat in I sadly can’t eat it! (I’m intolerant) they do look super yummy though. Also at over 50g carbs for half that’s my whole carb allowance in one sitting. I have to be super strict and try to stay under 40g carbs per day.

• posted by Apple
    on

Can someone please give me a slap round the face/kick up the arse/both?!
    Yesterday morning I was so pleased that I had started well and then boom, out of nowhere I have spent the last 2 days eating junk πŸ™ Almost like something in my head decided I must desperately need that 6lb so much that I should eat anything and everything to return it.
    At this point, normal action would be to say sod it and try again another time but I know that’s just me making excuses. I am going to spend my evening planning tomorrows meals and hope I can pull it back by Monday. Wow what a waste of all the effort I’d put in to week 1…:-(

• posted by Keid
    on

All I would say is to pick yourself up and start over. Focus on the success you had losing those 6lb! That’s amazing! You can do it xxx

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Yeah I agree don’t give up!
    Just think about each day at a time- 6lbs is amazing and you want to do it again!
    Planning my food is the only way I can do it and I keep re- reading the book too!

Keep going

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Apple, looks like you have already made your decision, and the best one you can. You are here talking about it and talking about wanting to change your usual response. Good. Then you are a winner.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

“This thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.” — Mary Pickford

• posted by Apple
    on

Thanks Keid, Hellyshear and Sunshine-girl. I am just so annoyed with myself! Old habits take some changing don’t they. At least I have owned up this time rather than just disappear for months again as before…. I have checked the fridge, made a plan and input tomorrow’s meals on to MFP, just some food weights to tweak as I make the meals then. I will brace myself for the scales in the morning but I expect I’ll have gone back to the starting line again, although with 5 days of the week remaining I’ll hopefully break even by Monday. Fingers crossed πŸ™‚

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

OK Apple – slap/kick – that wasn’t so bad was it? The issue we all have is when we drop the ball we feel guilty and when you feel guilty you feel miserable and when you feel miserable you feel unworthy and then you go back to the old vices because of course, your not worth the effort. BUT YOU ARE! And its hard not to feel guilty – And we all fall down sometimes once, sometimes many times. You are changing habits of a lifetime and just remember why you started this journey and begin again. I love beginnings ’cause you write the ending. So start tomorrow as if it was your first day – full of determination of where you want to be.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey apple- I agree with the others- last weekend I had a complete blow out at the weekend as I was with family eating and drinking too much- today I was naughty and made pancakes with flour- I dread to think how many carbs! Calaroies I don’t think will be too bad as had fruit and a tablespoon of real maple syrup- but hey- tomorrow I am back on it and will ensure the rest of the week will be good- it’s hard to change- but I think once we have trained ourselves we can do this!

I love this forum to off load my guilty blips πŸ™‚ xx

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Apple
    It’s not you per se, it’s your brain screaming at you saying “I want sugar, give me sugar now!” (Remember that all carbs convert to glucose in your body).
    The cravings are the worst in the first few weeks and the only way around it is to ignore your brain screaming.
    Give in and your brain thinks “ah, that was good, she’d better not do that again!” You’ll find that in another few days your brain will do it again so you just have to fight through it. Go for a walk, have a bath, drink water, phone a friend, get onto the forum, just don’t give in! If you do you’ll just be back a square one again and if you don’t, you’ll be rewarded with the most wonderful calmness where you just won’t want to cheat.πŸ˜€
    Remember, no one is holding a gun against your head telling your hand to put the food in your mouth.
    You have the power!
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Tomlin
    on

Weigh in today, 7lbs gone and 2 inches from waist. Very happy, found the weekend difficult and had about 1000 calories on Saturday but managed to not completely blow out which is my usual.Trying different variations on veg chilli for lunch which I find satisfying and filling, it’s not salad weather yet for me.

• posted by kv87170
    on

I’m loving this new way of eating! So much better than Atkins! Feel so much better in myself and my clothes. Just have to say again, Marks & Spencers ready-made salad bowls are amazing! I’m a bit busy/lazy and they’ve been such a convenience. Today’s is Chipotle Broccoli & Cauliflower Couscous and I added some Piri Piri chicken breast. The total was 200 calories and only 9 carbs).

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Hi all – oh apple I can feel your pain πŸ™ but I have come to the conclusion that I’m taking this journey one day at a time – for every day I can stick to 800cals that’s a bonus compared to what I would have been consuming and so what if it takes longer that 8 weeks I’m here for the long haul.

I had a brilliant week Mon-Friday then it all went pair shape on Saturday & Sunday – with the vino I may add but scales are moving and have decided on a Friday weigh in and not Monday mornings πŸ™‚

Some amazing losses on scales & tape measure well done.

• posted by Mariet
    on

I’m so excited! After a 5 day plateau the scales showed a .5kg loss today πŸ˜† encouragement to keep going! Less than a kilo to my first mini reward (75kg).

This is such a supportive forum, I love reading about how everyone is going. I upped my exercise and hit 11000 steps yesterday, will try to keep that up.

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

That’s really great! Well done. I’m finding this week harder than last week- I’m still sticking to it 100% but it’s hard. I need to up my exercise only get half walk in on top of normal activity! Moving office soon and will have more stairs to take! That can only help hey?

• posted by Mariet
    on

As I feared I’m finding the loss of my evening glass of wine the hardest! I’m not hungry, under 800 every day and that makes it even harder when I know it will fit in both calorie and carb allowance.

Tonight I have a gig night at the pub so that’s going to be a test. I thought of not going but then the only way to overcome my old way of thinking and acting is to practice the new way so wish me luck ☺

I’ve made a plan and enlisted my friends for support and generally crossing my fingers.

• posted by Keid
    on

Morning! How are we all?
    I seem to be on a bit of a plateau as been the same weight for 4 days now. Hoping for a whoosh soon. It’s not uncommon to stall a bit in week 2&3 so I’m not too worried. Im 1/2 a lb away from the next stone tho so would love to break through that milestone this week if possible.
    Have great day x

• posted by kv87170
    on

Hi Kris, That’s fantastic that you’ve almost lost a stone already! I’m only at half a stone but the scales are still going down slightly every morning. But just remember you’re probably loosing inches but the scales haven’t caught up yet. Keep going!

• posted by Apple
    on

Hi everyone! Thanks again for all of your comments on Tuesday after my bit of a meltdown. I’m back on the wagon, super strict yesterday and today – even squeezed in a 3mile walk earlier. As feared the scales told me 2 days of eating junk had undone the first weeks loss – so I am now trying to lose that weight all over again. Lesson learnt and I’m pleased to have snapped out of it and chased after the wagon this time, rather than wave it off in to the distance. I went shopping yesterday and stocked up on the good stuff and have thought out evening meals for the remainder of the week. I am determined to lose that 6lb again by Monday! πŸ™‚

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Hi all, I’ve managed to make the right choices today and feel motivated to get with the programme properly. Been so far off the rails other times, I’m too ashamed to post.

I find that finding the time to exercise is hard too, but getting a couple of sets of extra stairs in when I can.

B home made muesli with added oat bran, no sugar/sweetening, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and with soya milk.
    L home made veggie soup (made with olive oil)
    D chicken breast, broccoli, broad beans and sprouts – tablespoon of butter on the broad beans.
    S 23 almonds

Over 800 but all the right choices. I know oats are contentious on the fast 800 but this home made version of muesli doesn’t spike my blood sugar and really stops all the hunger pangs till lunchtime.

Hi to starshinecraft and CMsortingmylife and any other starters, welcome!

Just finished dinner and have to keep reminding myself not to go foraging in the kitchen. I’m going to have a glass of cold water and hope the urges go away.

Must do more than one day this time!

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Well done Apple πŸ˜‹

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, feeling a bit down today. Not so much with the weight, I know that’s going to be slow for me. I’ve never lost weight rapidly. But I bought some ketostix and despite keeping carbs below 40, usually below 30 I am not in ketosis. Does it take a while.? 2 weeks in. I’m finding it quite easy to manage the diet but I’m not sure what to do to kick start the fat burning. So far lost 2.5kg and 5cm from my waist but the measured loss was in the first week and not at the same time of day.

I usually manage 1.5 to 2L water a day, more than that and I start feeling nauseous. Any tips?

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Mariet
    The ketostix are notoriously not accurate, particularly after the first couple of weeks. Testing via blood or breath is more accurate.
    I have the Ketonix breath meter and that is fine. It’s a higher up front cost, but less painful than sticking a needle in my finger and there are no ongoing costs.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thanks LindA, I’ll look into that. I cam see this is working for so many people., I’m determined to make it work for me too ☺

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Happy Friday everyone!!! Psn rain here but I feel like am walking on sunshine sleeping so much better and have lots of energy in the mornings its hard to believe in less than two weeks I have these changes already. Still struggling with cravings but when it really hits bad I get myself a cappuccino with sprinkling of cinnamon. Know it not part of the BSD but stops the feeling of deprivation πŸ™‚
    Gonna try my very best at the weekend as that the hardest with no work routine. Going to visit an organic farm for inspiration. I LOVE reading your posts keeps me inspired to know we all human with ups n downs. Thanks

• posted by Keid
    on

Hi everyone. Happy Friday!
    Fridays are my busiest day and I have to have breakfast and lunch on the go. Today I had Greek yogurt and some nuts for breakfast and will have some salami and more nuts for lunch! Got curry tonight for dinner with a veggie side dish instead of any rice/naan. Luckily my husband is (slowly) coming over to the low carb way and joining me in not rice etc. Going to watch ‘That Sugar Film’ over the weekend. Hoping it’ll inspire me to stay off the sweet stuff even more. How’s your day going?

• posted by kv87170
    on

Ahhh…was naughty this afternoon and had some chocolate buttons! My son was off school sick so I was at home all today and boredom set in!!! The temptation was too great!

OK, not going to give in so I’m off to the gym after the kids go to bed and back to routine tomorrow.

I’m so annoyed with myself as I’m only 700grams off getting under 70kg. Please be kind to me in the morning scales! 😟

• posted by Keid
    on

Morning! Hope your weekend is going well. I managed to stay off the wine last night which is great. Especially as we had a mad dash to a&e with my 2 year old daughter as she bumped her head in spectacular style. Luckily she is totally fine but it was very stressful.
    Supposed to be out for dinner tonight so need to figure out where we’re going and what I can eat before we go. Annoyingly I’m 0.2 off the next stone down. Only lost 0.4lb this week but soldiering on. Hoping for a ‘better’ loss next week!

• posted by kv87170
    on

Hi Keid, Hope your little girl is OK??? I haven’t lost much this week either. Luckily I stayed the same this morning after yesterday’s chocolate cheat! My clothes are definitely feeling looser so I’m hoping the scales catch up next week…Please!

Greek yogurt, berries and seeds for breakfast.
    Turkey breast & ham Subway salad for lunch.

• posted by Maggie-may
    on

hi everyone, i know our weigh in is on Monday morning but was so excited when i stood on the scales this morning and i had reached 1 stone weight loss!!!! i cant believe it, 14 lbs in 19 days!!! hopefully it has started to have the desired effect on my blood sugar and blood pressure too but i feel really chuffed!!
    keep going everyone, it is a real mental boost when you hit a target. still got a VERY long way to go interms of weight loss but feeling pleased with it so far. good luck over the weekend. xx

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Hey maggie – woop woop!!! So what weigh in Monday – every success meant to be celebrated – a BIG congrats – and yes it really does give a mental boost. You are right to feel pleased.

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

That is brilliant Maggie!!!!
    Well done- I’m holding out for Monday – fingers crossed hey πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Keid
    on

Well done Maggie! ⭐⭐⭐ that’s great.

I had a non scales victory of losing a total of 2 inches off my waist – so even if the scales aren’t moving something is definitely changing!

• posted by Mariet
    on

That’s fantastic Maggie! πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

It’s so good to see everyone’s successes! And setbacks too, I’m inspired as much by the way so many keep on going when things slow down as well. Weigh day tomorrow for me then a four day Cruise of Temptation but I’ve decided to look on it as a challenge to eat well and have fun without smashing what I’ve achieved so far. That is already a change for me, usually a mini holiday is a licence to let go but hopefully not this time.

Thumbs up to all πŸ‘

• posted by Mariet
    on

Weigh in a day early before I go on my cruise. 2.2kg down for week 2 which makes 4 kgs in total. This is the most rapid loss I’ve ever had on any diet so I’m very happy. I didn’t measure until last week but in this week I have lost 3cm from my tummy and 2 from hips and bust so heading in the right direction!

Stay strong everyone and I’ll see you in a week πŸ™‚

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Good luck on the cruise!!!!
    I’m waiting for tomorrow for weigh in
    Just took waist measurement and lost 2 inches- that 4 in two weeks!
    Just cooked Michaels roast chicken- it’s was amazing and all the family loved it tooπŸ˜ƒDies anyone have any problem with a metallic taste throughout the day??
    Good luck for tomorrow everyone

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Wow- you are all doing so well- I think I need to start measuring too- I’m not going to weigh but feel like I need something to show
    My good work- or something to motivate me when I am bad! Lol

Have you guys who have lost most weight kept to 50g or carbs and 800 cal- do you all exercise too- I need to add in excerise- I had a sprained swollen ankle for ages so I’ve not be able to go to do anything πŸ™

Have a good week all- this week I will be better then last!

Please log in or register to post a reply.