July WEEKLY Challenge! 10July – 17July

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you for your vote of confidence girls! I hope I live up to your expectations. When I look back I have been on ‘holiday’ for 4 of the last 8 months. That is really unusual but just the way things have worked out. Not that I’m complaining! Anyway, normally I stay BSD friendly when we are away but just tend to eat a bit too much of the good stuff, especially cheese. I usually get straight back on plan when we get back but things just haven’t worked out that way. A kilo a month isn’t exactly the end of the world but if I don’t address it now it might just be! I have 6 weeks before our next, and probably last trip of the year. So my first goal is to lose at least 2kg by then. My next diabetes review is next December and my goal for then is to have lost 8kg+ and get my HbA1c back down closer to my lowest level of 29. I do feel that I now have ‘real’ goals again and I’m sure that will help.
    With the support of you all I know I can get there.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano
    Have just caught up with your results and I am so pleased that they were nothing like as bad as you expected. They were actually really good as you were on holiday for 4 of the last 8 months. Even though you did eat more than you would have normally – you stuck to good BSD food and as a result you didn’t damage your body.

I was really interested to read that you ate more cheese but your cholesterol was lower.

Your ‘plan of action ‘ sounds really good – I agree that we need a ‘real’ goal to work towards in order to be successful. I am absolutely sure you will achieve your goals.

Weigh in today 1lb lost so am now 9st and a half pounds. Am losing faster now on more calories than when I started and had over 3 and half stones to lose. It must mean that I am not producing such high levels of insulin and that I am not so insulin resistant. That is my ‘real’ goal – to move from diabetes in remission to diabetes reversed.

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh V, how fab you are still “free”! I and everyone else have no doubt about you shifting the 8kgs. You are focused and know your stuff, you’ll do it.
    I on the other hand am still at 9st 13and a quarter. I dipped to 9.12 and a half the day before we went away but can’t do it again. I think I am still partly in holiday mode because of the hot weather, so still having wine and I think possibly slightly larger portions. Excuses I know, but no nuts or crisps have crept back in, they are my downfall. Cake, biscuits, chocolate I can manage no problem, but wine and nibbles are creeping in. I’ll stamp on them and stop that creep! Onwards and downwards x
    Good luck with the numbers this week and see you on the new thread
    Tilly x

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Krysia and thanks for your support. I remember years ago my GP saying that food was not a factor for me in making cholesterol. Apparently some people don’t have ‘dietary’ cholesterol, so cheese for me may not be an issue. I’m just brainwashed into thinking it is, like the rest of us! In fact my total cholesterol had always been 5.2. The NHS may have moved their goal posts but 5.2 is my ‘normal’ level. It jumped up to 5.5 once and also for eighteen months it dropped down into the mid 4’s. I don’t take statins and won’t unless it gets into the 6’s and even then I’d try and bring it down myself. I know there is lots of research on cholesterol that now suggests a higher level of LDL may actually be good for us as we get older. I think I read that in the Pioppi diet but may be wrong with that reference.

Tilly thanks for your vote of confidence too. Sometimes it’s so difficult to get into the right frame of mind when you are so close to your goal whatever that may be. The fact that my HbA1c is rising again has given me back some impetus. I hope you find the motivation to lose those last few pounds now that the weather is a fraction cooler today…. best find it quick though, because the temperatures are due to rise again at the end of the week!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – yes I am afraid that I was totally brainwashed also and It is actually quite hard to get out of that way of thinking. A retired GP many years ago told me that research shows that people live longer with a cholesterol of between 5 and 7 but did not live as long if it was under 5 or over 7. He said that cholesterol was vital for every cell in the body.

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia, having found how low carb eating has helped us to reduce our blood sugars and manage our diabetes with diet alone, it does make you sceptical about so much of the so called science around ‘health’. I know we can’t see what goes on inside our bodies but we know how we ‘feel’. I think we forget how we felt before BSD. I remember always feeling sleepy after lunch but no longer! I think there is so much new information out there that we have to make our own decisions about our bodies. We can be guided by the medical professionals but at the end of the day we have to make our own best judgements for ourselves.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano
    Yes – I had forgotten about that sleepy feeling after eating. You are right that we have to make our own best judgements for ourselves. I think also that following this way of eating we become more aware of how our bodies ‘feel’ in relation to food. I must admit that I have not felt so well for years and years.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all,

After spending a few days taking stock, I’ve decided to head on back here, start back on this path and enjoy everyone else’s success. We’re all on different paths and even if I lose at a super slow rate, it’s better than giving up and gaining (which I’ve done for the last few weeks!)

The lifestyle change that was meant to accompany our house/country move took a hit last week when plantar fasciitis kept me off my feet for a while, and we had to postpone a planned mountain walk. The sadness I felt (and the anxiety at not knowing how long I’d be out of action) showed me how committed I am to improving my fitness. The previous weekend we’d climbed 4 Munros (mountains in Scotland over 3000ft) and I was keen to keep the momentum going but it wasn’t to be.

Luckily my foot seems to be back to normal now, and although the next 3 weekends won’t be active ones due to long-standing plans, I’m determined to increase my activity in the evenings.

Throughout my BSD journey I’ve always relied on shakes for my breakfast (when I wasn’t IF’ing), and I still love the concept but not how sweet and filled with junk they are. The last week I’ve trialled some natural, whole food ones, and today I made a batch of my own powder (from coconut, nuts, seeds etc) and I can’t wait to try it out in the morning! Lunch this week has been a soup I made from scratch on Sunday, and dinner is veg and meat.

Sorry for the essay but I find this thread such a good place to work through my thoughts! Here’s to another week of progress 💪🏻

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Verano – you are so right about having to make our own decisions. It is scary all the false info we are given by people/organisatins that we should be able to trust. It feels like it will take a long time for everyone to catch up with these new discoveries. I bought some rice the other day (whilst off the wagon) and it had a note on the back saying that one third of our diet should be made up of starchy foods 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello there, Nickie! It’s good to see you back with us 🙂 You might want to move on over to the new weekly
    thread, though. This one concluded yesterday…You’ll find all of “the usual suspects” over there!

Allie

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Oh dear, thanks for the heads up Allie, I’m lost!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.