July WEEKLY Challenge! 10July – 17July

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Got family arriving on 30th for 2 weeks. Not much of a holiday for me as I do all the catering but I just love it anyway.

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Sunshine,
    It appears the atmospherical waves and the rest of universe was creating the ‘perfect storm’ which swept us all. We both understand each other’s point.

What I suggest is this (this is the conversation exchange with my 4-year old girl after any of her storms)
    – I want to be your friend (My little girl)
    – but I don’t want you to want to be my friend (me)
    – why not (My little girl)
    – because you already ARE my friend (me)
    (A big hug)

Sunshine, if you take a holidays from here, enjoy it. I’ll miss your input your encouragement on my journey to 150. I want to promise you, next when we see I want you to be impressed when I report I’m 150 😀. Don’t stay too long. Looking forward to seeing you….preferably tomorrow 😀or soon after.
    Sending all my love,
    Skinny to be
    xx

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Skinny, you don’t know what you’re missing – 22 fit young men! England lost but it was a good match and pretty exciting 😁
    Maggie

on

I will be cheering you all on in your efforts. See you in August :):):) (that’s the only emoji I know how to do).

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Maggie,
    Aaaahh, that’s the rules of cricket ?
    That I could easily understand – looooool.
    Then your burn is easily understood. Not wanting to leave and ‘observe’ the players is well worth the burns. I hope you had a good view 😀xx

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

An excellent view thank you Skinny 🤩

• posted by alliecat
    on

Family time is the most precious time, S-G. What a destination France must be for all of them!
    Don’t forget to keep up with your laps in the pool, though 🙂 Lucky lady!!! A swim before bed would
    be heaven to me…Very happy for you to have this luxury at your disposal…Enjoy!

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

I’m glad you had a wonderful day and mostly enjoyed it, Maggie. It the wasn’t good that would be a wasted time, wouldn’t it 🙂.
    How often you go ‘cricketing’ ?

I’m just watching the football and am yelling at the telly…and ready to get a sore throat from the screaming…
    Xxx

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

1:1 is bad enough but we go to penalties….

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

As stressful as it is to watch, there is a Brazilian family who moved in recently further down the road. I jyst wasas in the garden watering the plants and heard them shouting…’Come on, England’.
    How very sweet. I just hope the result will not blow my BSD diet 😬.
    xx

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Maggie, Gareth Southgate….☺

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Not often, just to international. Not a football fan I’m afraid: England inevitably disappoint. I’ll invest my energies in something more likely to succeed like teaching the pugs ballet,🐶🐶
    Maggie

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Well it’s nice to see a guy with style .😎

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

I don’t do football either, only world cup and am very much liking how far have England gone. They deserve to go all the way but at the moment…it’s a heart stopping situation after another… penalties still a possibility. As I said it may blow my diet.
    It just shows how stress affects us… but I cannot stop watching now.
    Are your pugs having rehearsals of Snow Lake too? 😄xx

…style and family values. Very likeable 😉

• posted by alliecat
    on

Who won the semi-finals tonight, skinny?

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Allie – Croatia beat us 2-1 in extra time. We were 1-0 ahead from 10 minutes in. We’re out. BUT we did SO SO well! And although it’s disappointing, we got to the semi finals and behaved and played with respect and so, that team managed to restore faith and hope to a nation! 🙂

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Allie – and they deserved it, I’m sad to say. It got me to the point I had two squares of 90% Lindt chocs at 10.30pm. Had to bite into something. It was a revelation how something, that doesn’t have an impact on my day to day life, can affect and cause a stress and subsequently makes me to reach for something.
    To an extend it was a good experience as I was now more aware of it…
    Good morning all,
    Skinny to be
    xx

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

The Croatians deserved to win, not England to lose. Croatians were really very strong in the second half and a lot of time some of the players had a direct clear path to the goal post. They did deserve to win.
    English team deserved to win too, but because they couldn’t break the fortune to hit the net, they showed a fantastic sportsmanship and confirmed the new manager is exactly what the team needed. And the nation too, as it was mentioned by Kazz. Gareth Southgate did a fantastic job for this country.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning, sorry to move away from sport, although I’m sad that Federa didn’t make it yesterday. Anyway, just wanted to say that the scales only showed a very minor rise after 6 days of eating well, but too much, especially cheese! So I now have a my goal. I have 7 weeks to lose 11lbs. I don’t normally set weight/time goals as I find them counter productive but needs must. So here I go with Day 1, back to two meals a day with no more meat but lots more chicken, fish and salad.

I have my blood test for my HbA1c this morning so this is the moment of truth. I stopped taking metformin 11 months ago and was fine when I had my last test in November but I have put on some weight since then and am just hoping it hasn’t affected my blood sugar. No time to have a ‘good spell’ to help me, so I will get to know the brutal truth, warts and all, on Monday morning! Whatever the results I will be sticking with BSD more closely than of late. For the moment I just need to take one day at a time!

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all, I havent been in for a while so just wanted to pop in to say that I’ve decided to take some time away from the forum. I have been doing the Fast 800 for some time. It worked for me initially in terms of weight loss, but I just didn’t find it manageable in the long term. Calorie counting, for me, triggers some things that I’m better off without. I found that limiting the carbs, but not counting them worked for me, and not worrying about calories, but progress was a lot slower. I only have another 10 or so lbs to my target, and slow and steady is fine with me. I think that coming on here and seeing other people’s rapid weight loss has been disheartening for me, as I compare myself, and know I’m not losing nearly as fast.

So, I think the best plan for me is to carry on with low carb, keep up the exercise I’ve finally started, and keep on with the slow and steady weight loss. Thanks all for your support and helping me to get this far on my journey! Maybe see you again some time when I’ve reached my target 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Nicola sometimes we just need a change and a bit of a shake up of our routine. I’m like you in that I find the fast weight losses demoralising sometimes, but to put things in perspective, those big losses are often people new to this way of eating or jumping back on the wagon after a lapse. I must admit to finding it harder and harder to stay on track since my blood sugar dropped into the ‘normal’ zone. Just staying away from the simple carbs, without ‘counting’ may be just what you need at the moment. You have had lots of upheaval in your life of late so be a little kind to yourself. Never say never, see you on the boards again soon!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Nicola,
    I understand how it feels when others are posting weight losses and you are not seeing the scale move. Sometimes it worries me a little as well when I see posts from people who are in the depth of despair because the scales are showing a fraction of a lb gain in comparison to the day before.
    Both the week long and the month long challenges are centred around a weekly weigh in, and I have been wondering about setting up a different 4 week challenge thread, where we set our goals to be NSV’s.
    I wondered what others felt about this idea?

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – fingers crossed for a good HB1aC result. I have just booked mine for 3rd August – so I will have fingers crossed for my results also.

on

Good luck V, KOKO

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks s-g, blood taken so fate is sealed! Krysia I have every conceivable digit and limb crossed! Not feeling too optimistic though. But on a positive note so far today I’ve just had a salmon salad so, so far so good.

• posted by Verano
    on

JGwen what have you in mind for a new challenge? Does it need to have a timescale?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good luck, V.! Lots of us will be awaiting your monday results with you! Don’t forget to
    post. Fingers and toes crossed 🙂

Allie

• posted by KristenLouise
    on

JGwen, I think a NSV challenge would be perfect. I find the scales hold far too much power and can derail me if there is a disappointing result. What about aiming for a reduction in waist circumference? I keep reading that it’s far more important than weight as that is where the dangerous fat lives. Kristen

• posted by alliecat
    on

Lots of enthusiasm for your new thread, JGwen! I’ll be keeping an eye out for it, too 🙂
    Allie

• posted by zinny
    on

Yes NSV would be a good idea. I’ll tell you one of mine. I used to see people walking or biking etc. They would get warm and take their jackets off and be able to tie them around their waists. Not I oh no I would either keep the garment on or have to carry it. This very morning whilst out with King Zinny walking I took my jacket off and tied it round my waist. I never thought I would be able to do that and tie it in a tight knot.
    So yes a NSV thread would be a good thing.
    The title could be My NSV has set me free! I’ve got a non scale victory!
    I could do more but I won’t……

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Verano,
    Initially I thought about having a thread where we set ourselves a challenge on fitness levels, but then I realised that some people may want to focus on inch loss, and some may have completely different aims. – I just think it would be healthy to break away from the focus on scales.
    I thought about setting it as a 4 week challenge and see how it goes, if people feel they would prefer it to be a weekly challenge we can always change, or have the two running in parallel.

• posted by marie123
    on

JGwen – I think the NSV thread is a great idea.
    Zinny – I like your title, also.

Verano – best wishes for Monday.

Nicola12 – I also think we can be more vocal/post more when we’re having good losses than when we haven’t lost anything – I know I do that – so it can give a slightly skewed perspective of things. I’ve always read your posts and you’ve had such a lot going on. Take care. It sounds like you’ve got a good plan. But come back soon. xx

• posted by Verano
    on

JGwen it’s a great idea to get away from ‘weight’. My initial goal was to become drug free and control or reverse my T2. Since achieving that I’ve struggled to stay motivated. In the past I set up threads similar to the one you are suggesting and the variety of goals was astonishing. Some wanted to eat more fish or drink more water (sorry to mention that word!) or less wine, increase exercise etc. etc. They say it takes 21days to make/break a habit so maybe three weeks would be a good time span to aim for. Anyway, I’ll join in whatever you decide.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi, I have gone ahead to set up a thread we can use as a ‘none weight’ challenge thread. – I thought we needed flexibility to cover all WHY’s – For newcomers, a few months ago I came across a suggestion that focusing on WHY you wanted to loose weight is a more powerful motivator than thinking in terms of wanting to loose ?? lbs. Your WHY may be an activity, or going to an event, or health markers. But if thinking about your WHY is more powerful than thinking in lbs, then combining it with the power of reporting progress each week should be even better.

The title is My NSV has set me free! I’ve got a non scale victory!

The initial idea is that its a place for people to share their WHY and report in on progress on a weekly basis. – As each person’s WHY is likely to be different, I don’t have any strong views on the details, such as should the thread run for a set period of time. – Lets see what works for us and go from there.
    Lets have a different day for reporting progress to the weight challenges. – How about having our non scale report day on a Monday?

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Such a good idea JGwen- we have so many little victories that aren’t scale related. Sharing and enjoying them will be great, and hopefully reinforce that it isn’t all about pounds and ounces.
    Maggie

• posted by zinny
    on

I’m looking forward to reading other people’s stories . Sometimes it’s just small things that give us pleasure like being able to fasten the seat belt on the plane and having some belt left over to flick about from side to side in the sheer amazement that you can !!

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m excited about your idea for a new thread, JGwen! I’ll be there 🙂 I will
    be handing the weekly challenge on to someone else on tuesday. Verano?
    Krysia? Maggie? I need to catch up on other threads! Let’s finish up
    strong, kids! 🙂

Allie

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Allie I feel I’m a bit of a newbie to manage the challenge, but am happy to accept the baton if nobody else has the time.
    Maggie

• posted by Verano
    on

I’ve done more than my fair share so will pass on this one. I just need to relax a little at the moment and regroup. You’ll do a great job Maggie. It’s always good to have new blood with fresh ideas, so go for it.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I have every confidence in you, Maggie 🙂 You’ll have lots of assistance
    too, from those of us who fly from thread to thread each day. Many thanks
    for stepping up! I’m earmarking time for Bikman,etc!
    Enjoy the weekend, everyone!

Allie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Maggie – you will do really well. i really enjoy reading your posts as you are so knowledgeable. Thank you for accepting the baton. I feel a bit guilty that I didn’t offer to – but am still working crazy hours 6 days a week and am trying – rather unsuccessfully – to complete some coursework.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Allie, Verano and Krysia, I’m happy to take on the challenge and will give it my best shot and hope you can really concentrate on your coursework Krysia, though this weather is too nice to be inside ☀️ ☀️ ☀️
    Verano you have done more than your fair share and have helped so many people including me to find their feet. I hope you feel refreshed with having more time to yourself.
    Allie while you’re catching up with Ben Bikman you might spare an hour or so for Ivor Cummins, a very engaging Dubliner, who presents the Cholesterol Conundrum and was behind the Widowmaker, a documentary about heart disease and prevention.
    Have a lovely productive week all.
    Maggie

• posted by Ellem
    on

Sunday is my weigh day, and another 2lb gone. It took me by surprise as up until yesterday I didn’t think I’d lost very much this week.

I am amazed at this WoE. I have never had consistent success like this. Delighted. I’m averaging 30g carbs a day, and mostly eating a small breakfast, then more at lunch and dinner with no snacks. Weighing everything and using MyFitnessPal to plan meals.

Thank you again to everyone on here for being so supportive.
    Elle

• posted by alliecat
    on

Congratulations, Elle! Consistent losses are indeed possible with this
    WOE. 🙂 Do you have a specific goal in mind?

Thank you Maggie. Very kind of you to point me to Ivor Cummings!
    I’ll follow up on that.

As of this morning’s weigh in, I have completely reversed the effects
    of my unfortunate pig out on sundried tomatoes! Definitely no room
    for them in my life 🙂 I feel the same way about them as some of you
    do about nut butters!

xx Allie

• posted by Ellem
    on

Hi Allie, I was just under 8 stone when I was young, so I had thought if I get to 8 1/2 that would be as much as I could expect. Though now I’m wondering if I might in fact get to 8st again, which would probably be healthier for me. I’m 5’1” and fat tends to accumulate round my middle which is exactly where you dont want it according to MM.

• posted by Verano
    on

Ok, so my results are in. They are not as bad as I had anticipated with my cholesterol dropping slightly and my HbA1c going up from 29 to 38. So I’m still controlling my diabetes without drugs but I am getting closer to that 42 marker. The really bad news, although no surprise, is that I’ve gained 8kg in the last 8 months. So not good overall but still on the right side and enough of a jolt to give me a wake up call. Looks like it’s time for me to enter the Second Chance Saloon!

My plan …. being realistic I just can’t manage 800 calories a day so I’m adding 50% per day. I think with 1200 calories and 50g carbs I have a good chance of stopping the rot now and getting back on track before it’s too late. Once I get into a routine again I will reassess. So that’s it. Just need to keep on keeping on……….

• posted by marie123
    on

Verano,
    I do admire the way you look straight at these things. As you say, your HbA1c is still within the normal range, you’ve got your WHY, and a good plan for going forward. You, and we, know you’ll do it.
    Best wishes
    Marie xx

• posted by marie123
    on

Congratulations Elle – another 2lbs down xx

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Congratulations Allie, you got to grips with those sundried tomatoes pretty ruthlessly!
    Elle, great to have continued success you must be very pleased with the way things are going.
    Verano, like Marie I really admire the way you are so realistic. I’m sure you’ll be very organised at getting to grips with the weight gain and keep those numbers under control.
    Maggie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks, Maggie! Californiagirl once made a very insightful comment that those of us who have weight
    problems tend to be “black and white” thinkers. I am every bit an all or nothing personality type, and acknowledging
    this and using it to drive success, rather than failure, has been the key for me.

Verano, all of your friends here have been awaiting your test results with you! I’m glad that you’re still in the
    safety zone. I know that your good judgement will prevail, and you will soon reverse the slight uptick on the
    scales. You’ve done a great deal of globe trotting this year, so a lot has been beyond your control. I’m over
    joyed that you are experiencing life to the fullest, and you WILL get on top of this 🙂 You have all the tools to
    do it, and a powerful community of supporters here that believe in you! Go for it 🙂

Elle, what a petite lady you are! I feel positively Amazonian at 5’7″! I’m content to weigh 9 stone something…
    With this WOE, you can achieve whatever is your heart’s desire. 🙂

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.