Izzy's 8 week diary :)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi Switzerland ๐Ÿ™‚

My eyebrows look a lot nicer but there is a sore bit below the right eyebrow like she pulled a bit of skin off? I’m guessing a bit of wax might have gone on there by accident. Still I know it was just an error we all make errors. The beautician was very nice and the rest of it went well, so it won’t put me off having it done again sometime and the skin will heal soon enough.

As for fasting because I’m up early on workdays I can’t really fast too long on those days as I do like to have breakfast and the only time to eat it is before 0700. Usually on most days we have our main meal before 2000 so at least 11 hours between then and breakfast. Days like today are easier as I didn’t have my breakfast until I was home from getting eyebrows done but we did have a late dinner last night too. It would have been 14-15 hours between last nights dinner and this mornings breakfast. So sometimes it happens naturally anyway.

I’m not too worried about the plateau, I really see this as a life change now, the weight will sort itself out at it’s own pace.

I realised when I was cooking the chickpeas that I ran out of olive oil, so I used the low calorie spray oil and it worked well they’ve come out crispier. I guess they will be a bit lower calorie as well and lower fat – I know low fat isn’t good but the protein in the chick peas will give the filling power without the fat I think.

It seems I am likely to go over calories today but that is ok as I will be sticking to BSD principles and still within my own unofficial plan of following 800 most of the time with up to a few days off each week. I had a lot of cauli pizza lol.

Happy it’s interesting you saying that about the gluten, it could certainly be true! as for my little crafts I’ve also started a hand sewing project I’ve had in mind for a while. My daughter loves mermaids and I’ve seen a lot of these little mermaid tail blankets (like mini sleeping bags) online, either crocheted or made with fabrics. I had thought of knitting one but not got around to it so I’ve decided to make her one. I have a blue skirt I never wear that has some ruffles on it so I’ve cut it to shape and lengthened it a little with the cut off pieces. I’ve chosen some other garments that are in the pile for the charity shop that are nice colours and fabrics, I’m going to cut these up into scales and sew them all over the skirt to make a multicoloured tail, then once it’s all finished I have a blue fleece blanket that I will use to create a cosy lining for it. I thought it was something I could have downstairs and work on when my son is around. I won’t use pins I’ll just sew as I go freehand, then I might add some nice trimmings at the very end. I have some seashell buttons etc.

I’ve also bought her a large art kit, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Y1204Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

She has been talking about wanting water colours for a while and I like to encourage reading, art and any out to play type activity, and I decided that to get it for her now at the beginning of her school holidays might give her something to stop the boredom over the next 6 weeks!

• posted by Izzy
    on

I just made these… http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/07/strawberry-mug-cake-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html

I made the small ones in silicon cupcake moulds in the microwave but I think they would be nicer in the oven. Couldn’t spend the calories on making the bigger ‘mug’ version. However the microwaved cupcake version was a hit here, we’ve all eaten one even my daughter! A healthier dessert I can now offer her ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll be ending my day on 1100 calories today but carbs only at 38.3 which is reasonable for a free day I think ๐Ÿ™‚

It is almost bedtime for my son, then I’ll be having my chilli for dinner and then I might do a bit of painting.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

I know what you mean re the mermaid pattern, those are so cute!!!
    Good you are doing so well on your free days!!!

• posted by Izzy
    on

I hope the mermaid tail turns out the way I imagine it ๐Ÿ™‚ I still keep finding new ideas for my loft and other things I want to create, my inner creative is certainly escaping and I’m not trying to stop her!

I’ve had fage yoghurt and strawberries for breakfast, a concoction fried up together including bacon, onion, courgetti and tomatoes for lunch and it is going to be Katsu curry for dinner.

I didn’t get around to making crackers yet this weekend so that is my job for this afternoon.

My daughters painting kit has arrived but as she is out with a friend she doesn’t know about it yet, I do hope she likes it. I had a proper look in and it has lots there to enjoy – a gift i would have loved!

I can’t remember if I mentioned before but I’ve noticed in recent weeks that I think I walk a bit faster, and today I’ve noticed it’s easier to cross my legs. lol. small triumphs. Scales show 1/2 lb down today so I’m hoping it will move a bit more by Tuesday. Regardless I can’t remember any of the normal diets being able to lose weight so consistently for so long even though I’m slower than most.

I reckon another half stone will open my wardrobe a little. A few things I tried on the other day fit again and many of them will fit within 7 lb’s I think. I have plenty further down in the pile for when I get smaller still, which I know I will it’s only a matter of time.

Have a nice Sunday everyone, pity tomorrow is Monday!

I’m having a sudden desire to go and get the loft flooring again… it comes in waves!

• posted by Izzy
    on

Well I made my crackers, then the desire to go buy loft flooring was just too great to resist so I did, whilst browsing the DIY store I came across two friends and ended up chatting for a bit and they helped me get the stuff in my car which was great. By the time I got home it was too late to make katsu curry so I made the family pasta bake. I think I might just have soup. It is such a great standby on this diet to have a few different soups all frozen so anytime I am at a loss for what to have or too lazy to cook I can just lift one out and throw it in the microwave. I made so much I haven’t had to make more for weeks lol. I guess I might need to make a new batch next weekend though.

I’m hoping to make a start on the loft tonight but it might be too noisy when my son is in bed. I should be able to get an hour done here and there as my husband is on earlies this week so will be home in the evenings, and he is off on Sunday. I might ask him to take our son out if it is a nice day so I can get on without interruptions but we will see. Either way my little dream is in motion! Too excited!!!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

That’s so inspiring Izzy – please keep us updated on your loft renovations.
    Do you notice how feeling well by doing BSD makes some things, previously hard, not so difficult anymore?

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi Switzerland, I managed to get half of the flooring down last night but then I couldn’t sleep so I’m tired this morning. I think I was just too buzzing with the excitement of doing it! I’m a very practical person (thus the engineer job) I enjoy things like flooring the loft which would probably seem dull to most lol.

I do notice a big difference in myself but I don’t know if it is all BSD. A combination of sunlight, my anxiety and depression appear to be very much on the mend, and being a few pounds lighter makes things easier physically too. BSD definitely has played its part. Happy mentioned the other day that there may be a link with gluten and depression. So much hasn’t been researched enough yet for both mental health and nutrition.

When I was up in the loft doing the flooring I found that the builders installed a power socket up there over at that side. I am the first owner of this house and I know that every extra socket etc had to be planned and paid for during the construction – they liked charging for extras! I didn’t ask nor pay for a socket in the loft so I don’t know why it is there but it is perfectly placed for me to use for my equipment I will have up there! Also I found a spot lamp I had forgotten so there will be no immediate need to go and buy a lamp either. So far I have spent only ยฃ50 on my little project, and it will take me to the point of being able to set up and use it. I will add to it more slowly over the months ahead ๐Ÿ™‚

it didn’t bother my son so I will be up there again tonight probably. I can’t be doing it late as my husband is up early and I’ll be working above his head with my drill so can’t do that when he is trying to sleep. Having said that I potentially could lay all the flooring I bought. I will need to add to the flooring but it will be plenty for me to start to use the space. I should be ‘moving in’ by the end of the week!!!!

Ok on to business- raspberry shake for breakfast, cheese and crackers with tomato for lunch, a portion of chickpeas. Dinner will be the katsu curry I didn’t have time to make yesterday!

Right time to go have a lovely day ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

I have my little crafting space all floored woohoo ๐Ÿ™‚

I can’t find my sewing machine pedal ๐Ÿ™ so I might have to get a replacement, but then I hope the machine works as it’s about 20 years old and not been used for years. I don’t have a table yet anyways so it can all wait but I’m pleased with my progress so far.

I am however, exhausted so it’s bedtime for izzy. Night all ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

Good morning fellow BSD-ers ๐Ÿ™‚

today is Tuesday – weigh and measure day!

I have lost 1 lb, and 1/2 inch off my bust and hips.

I’ve lost a total of 4lb in the last 3 weeks, but I have had 1-3 days per week where I’m not counting so in actual fact I’m thinking that is ok. The weight is still coming off and I can accept slower losses because I am still enjoying the lifestyle. I’ve been overweight a long time I can accept it will take a while to get rid of it all.

Today is the beginning of week 12, and I really do feel like this has been a lifestyle change with the odd blip!

Last night whilst distracted by a few things I’d forgotten to make anything to accompany my katsu curry and whilst I was plating up everyones dinner I automatically put rice on my plate. I realised and swept it all back into the pot – I didn’t even want to eat it. I don’t miss rice at all. I had a side salad instead ๐Ÿ™‚

I do feel very tired this morning though and I think my extra activity in the loft and garden recently has taken its toll. I do need to take care I have realised as tiredness certainly brings out my anxiety. I’m still feeling fine but I recognise I probably need a few early and gentler nights!

I do have an idea of something I can use to make a workbench up in the loft – there is an old cabinet sat in the shed not being used for anything… So I’m going to take a look at that tonight and see if I can do that, but I plan to be showered and in bed by 9pm with a movie. If I can get the workbench set up then I’m good to go. I can set up the sewing machine and take up all my paints etc.

well, my son is arguing with his toy aeroplane so I gotta go and get him ready to get out!

Have a great day ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Izzy

I’ve been away for a few days – so you’ve started on the loft already? wow, hope that’s going well

I went to a carvery one day while I was away – I did have a couple of small roast potatoes, but quite easy to leave one of those – preBSD I’d probably have had four or five large ones. I did enjoy the smallest Yorkshire pudding that I spotted on the serving tray though!
    – and I did emulate Lynn’e achievement of losing weight while away this time

I still haven’t perfected cauliflower rice – but I’m finding I quite enjoy chopped or shredded white cabbage as a quick and easy (and crunchy) ‘rice substitute’

have a good day

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Izzy,
    When it comes to weight and waist measurements as long as the numbers are going down you’re successful.
    I totally understand what your’re saying about sleep. My entire life I’ve needed a minimum of eight hours sleep. Apparently when I was a toddler I used to just walk myself off to my bedroom and put myself to bed! ….still doing it now! I think I’m the only Mum on earth that at times went to bed before my kids (it’s OK, their Dad would settle them).
    Your loft sounds like it’s coming together nicely. Did you get the flooring down?
    Happy day everyone.

Hi Frog,
    Congratulations for succeeding with weight loss while away.

• posted by Frog
    on

thanks Switzrland

Is your machine a Singer Izzy?
    I acquired my Mum’s sewing machine when she died – she’d replaced it at some point because it wasn’t working, and I paid to have it serviced to no avail, and eventually threw it. I came across the foot the other day, and put it to one side for electrical recycling, but still have it if you want to give it a try.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi Frog well done for not eating all the potatoes and for losing weight! Sadly my machine is a toyota not a singer and looking online your pedal won’t fit but thank you for thinking of it. My Mum still has an old singer machine ๐Ÿ™‚ It was old 20 years ago and she bought a new one to make my wedding dress for me, only to realise she preferred her old singer and gave me her new toyota one lol.

Switzerland I am certainly in bed before the kids sometimes especially my daughter who is 11 now and up later!

The area of the loft I will be using is all floored now, so I’ll have a look at the panel I might be able to use to create a workbench later ๐Ÿ™‚

dinner plans were confused as my list I made assumed hubby would be shopping and that hasn’t worked out so the family are having ribs and I’m having some left over chilli in a baked pepper. perhaps with a little cheeeeeeese.

• posted by Frog
    on

No worries – worth a shot – I hate throwing stuff away.

A couple of times when I’ve been out of London recently I’ve come across the most amazing haberdashery and craft stores – I can’t think of a single one in London.

Congratulations on getting the loft finished so speedily – happy sewing (is your first job taking in all your clothes?)

• posted by Izzy
    on

I would have thought you could get anything in London lol. I’ve never been I really should visit London sometime.

Well I *was* going to bed early but… I got a bit carried away. I have built a 6ft long workbench in my loft using the old cabinet that was destined for the skip, some legs off an old table that were destined to be burned in my chimnea, and a few other bits that were kicking about. I’ve also used other parts of the cabinet to make two shelves, and fixed up a long piece of wood to use to hang clothes from. It’s certainly come a long way up there in just a few days and so far the only cost has been the flooring. everything else is recycled which kind of feels right somehow – given what I want to use it for ๐Ÿ™‚ My poor cordless drill only just made it tonight before running out of juice! I’ve got it charging now but I probably won’t need it for much if anything for a while.

Tomorrow – I will hoover up all the sawdust and bring some things up. I have a chair that was in my bedroom and another lamp. I’ve really enjoyed creating the space, so I hope I enjoy using it as much too. My first project list is already long lol. I have my coasters to finish painting, I have a picture I am painting as well, the mermaid tail thing for my daughter, and yes- a few clothing alterations to make! Also I want to continue adding to the space, more shelves, and some decor. How am I going to fit in time to work?

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Izzy
    sadly not on the haberdashery front!
    There is a local market stall that does some stuff, one or two suburbs that I know better have one – but in central London I guess the rents are too high – John Lewis is OK, but pricey. I end up buying online, but sometimes I really like to see things first.
    The lovely shop I found in Canterbury I bought replacement buttons for the jeans I found that I’d obviously worn until they were so tight that the buttons popped off, then shoved at the back of the wardrobe.
    What made me think of it earlier was that they had the most amazing looking sewing cabinets – but it sounds as if you’re doing really well improvising.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Wow Izzy – Your loft really is coming along. It’s great that the flooring has been your only expense. For those of us who enjoy creative pastimes I think having space to do it adds to its therapeutic effect. Better luck with ‘the good night’s sleep’ tonight.
    Today we’ve had some great news for our family – my husband got the all clear from pathology tests that were obtained recently – we’re all very happy about that.

Hi Frog, I don’t know about England but buttons are really expensive here. At times I just can’t help myself and I go to Sydney to The Rocks (heritage area of Sydney right beside the harbour, very close to the southern pylon of the Harbour Bridge) and go to the button shop there. Imagine an entire (small) shop that just sells buttons – divine. Oh, I forgot to say I usual buy them for things I knit.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Morning everyone ๐Ÿ™‚ We have a big Hobbycraft in the city nearest here (about 25-30 miles away) so I pop in there. It’s a little piece of heaven… There is a John Lewis there too but I like the feel of Hobbycraft better. I dont have the spare cash at the moment for new cabinets etc but honestly I’ve really enjoyed the process of thinking up what to do and making it up as I go along ๐Ÿ™‚

I buy a lot of things online as well. I’ve found I can buy a new pedal for my sewing machine but I’m going to wait until the weekend to have a proper rummage incase I find it.

There are so many things I want to buy I would rather make shelves etc and use the money for all the books I want to buy about various crafts, tools for making jewellery, a scroll saw, a pyrography kit… the wishlist goes on!. At christmas time this year I will have plenty to tell people instead of ‘I don’t know’ when they ask what I would like lol. I have ordered an easel for my painting which was ยฃ15, and if I need a new pedal that will be about ยฃ15, and then next month I will probably buy and install a pull down loft ladder to make the access easier and quieter. I can’t make those out of the stuff I have lying around lol.

Switzerland that is wonderful news that those results came back ok it is always a real worry waiting for things like that. I knit sometimes as well but I get a bit bored with it. My Mother was a great knitter and still does knit but her arthritis limits her now, she knitted loads of baby shawls in particular as well as a million garments. She showed me everything so I literally can do anything known to knitting! My daughter outgrew the last Aran cardigan my mother made for her and I felt that we shouldn’t ask for another as my Mum would have said yes regardless of the discomfort it might have brought her to knit it. I knitted her a new one instead and she loves it. She picked a pattern with a hood so it took a while to get it done but it is a lovely cardi. I think it will fit her this year in winter as it was a bit big but no doubt I’ll get an order for another one in the future!

Teamtalk at work today, complete with bacon rolls but today I don’t want one. I’m a bit tired today but I know I have done all the big work for the moment and there is no reason to be up late tonight.

Food today – raspberry shake for breakfast, chicken and lentil soup for lunch, home made fish fingers for dinner.

• posted by weescotty
    on

ppffrrrr! Izzy am trying the salt & vinegar chickpeas tonight and hope the queen doesn’t call as my little flat reeks of vinegar – like a fish & chip shop. Got one eye on Andy Murray galloping about on centre court. If I had half his energy and stamina…..
    Anyway back to chickpeas. Have your tried the dried ones? would be cheaper, but have to boil & soak overnight I think?

• posted by Izzy
    on

No I’ve not tried the dried ones but I expect they would be ok if you soaked them, They do make the house smell pickled! I hope you enjoyed them and I hope the Queen didn’t drop by haha.

We just had a yummy dinner… everyone ate it even the daughter. I didn’t have time to faff about making fish fingers so I laid all the fillets out in a baking tray, brushed them with beaten egg, added some crushed almond flour crackers, then sprinkled mozarella all over. They were yummy and much faster than making fish fingers. We had baked veg with the fish, the rest had potato wedges but not me.

I didn’t eat a bacon roll today either, I didn’t even fancy one, and I’m not sure anyone even noticed that I didn’t eat one either not that I was bothered. I’ve spoken to a few of them about what I’m doing so it isn’t hidden.

I know there will be cravings in my future but at the moment I’m finding even when I see potato wedges etc – I just don’t want them.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi Izzy,

Sorry I’ve been off post a couple of days but I’ve just been so busy! I have been reading your posts as I get them in emails.
    I need to hire you to come here and do our floors!! Wow! You are so quick in getting everything done and doing it yourself! I am amazed and impressed!
    Re your food – so happy to hear you can ignore the potato wedges and the bacon roll! You have really gotten the hang of this for sure!!
    I have 6 hours of clients today but ran to the pool for 1/2 hour and did a bunch of excercises in the middle of my schedule thank goodness. It’s our only sunny and warm day this week so I wanted to take a little advance age of it.

Hugs to all!
    ๐Ÿ’œ๐ŸŒท

• posted by Izzy
    on

Morning Happy and all ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s ok to be busy so long as you are staying Happy!

As for coming to do floors I’m very much an amateur, fine for lofts and shelves lol but I’m really very pleased with how it has all gone ๐Ÿ™‚ Last night I arranged all my things up there and it looks fab, very rustic with no walls and carpets of course but it just ‘feels’ right and great. It rained last night and I loved sitting there in my chair and listening to it battering off the roof, I love listening to rain. I can’t wait to get my better ladder now but finances dictate I must.

My daughter was saying she isn’t liking her rug in her room anymore so I might bring it up and use it, it will soften the floor a bit and quieten my chair as it wheels across the space. I’m calling it my ‘Den of Dreams’

Breakfast today was fage and strawberries, lunch will be crackers and cheese, dinner will be chicken something or other. My son just presented me with a single pistachio kernel so I’ve eaten that as well. I’m going to be a rebel and NOT count it. It’s awesome that he will sit eating a bowl of strawberries and mixed nuts though- my son eats all sorts of good stuff. We still give them bread/pasta/potato but have stopped buying cereal. Still get cereal bars but I’m planning on making my own once I lose all my weight.

Well I gotta go get him ready for childminders, and get to work, but it is Thursday and just incase anyone forgets I don’t work on Fridays so everything is awesome!

Have a nice day ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Timmy
    on

Izzy, I’ve got a really random question for you….

Do you make candles?

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi Timmy, it’s one of the many things I want to try but I haven’t yet. I’m certain I will do it at some point though.

Forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer (I do that sooo often!) so I had to pop to the shops and we’re having pork mince stuffed courgettes instead. In other news while at the shop I met one of my daughters friends Mums who asked me what my secret was ๐Ÿ™‚ Thing is it’s only a few weeks since I saw her and I can’t have lost more than 4 lb’s but she insists I look like I’ve lost a lot since then! It’s always nice to have it noticed.

Yay for my weeks work being all over, son will be in bed by 8, husband is so tired with his early shifts he will likely sleep early too and daughter is on a sleep over so I will be in my den ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

In my den where I have made my workbench it it against a brick wall, I pondered a few ideas about things to do here and settled on ordering one of these… https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DNZXQ22/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had an old sheet and some fabric that I have pinned to the wooden struts to ‘wall’ the space in along one side and my daughter gave me her rug that she didn’t want anymore. My den is quite homely now ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

Gooood Morning BSD ๐Ÿ™‚

It is Friday, I’m not working, my son and I are chilling, I’ve lost 0.7lbs since Tuesday, all is well in my world.

I’m 11st 2.8… This is the lightest I have been in years. The smallest my husband has known me to be and we’ve been together 7 years. I think at least 9 years ago since I was this weight. My next target is 11st so hopefully I should hit it within a few weeks. At that point I will no longer be obese and simply overweight so a monumental milestone!

So I’ve lost 24lbs so far on BSD but I always bear in mind my heaviest weight too from a few years ago, I’m 43lbs lighter than then, quite proud of all that I have achieved as well as not letting myself get back to my heaviest weight before doing something better.

It is a yucky rainy day… A day for staying at home, although we may pop to the shop. I’ll be sending my husband a big shopping list but he won’t be home until later in the afternoon and I will make some soup today as my frozen supply is running lower. I might not need to go to the shop myself I’ll have to check the fridge first.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’ve made some awesome lentil soup (see recipe section) and I used the recipe I used before for pecan brittle but instead used mixed nuts and some seeds. It’s in the freezer just now ๐Ÿ™‚ Higher calorie but I do still allow myself the choice of going over calories on my days off ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a strawberry almond milk shake for breakfast and will have the soup for lunch. Going to make toad in the hole for the kids dinner tonight, hunters chicken for us.

Typical Scotland the weather has now changed and it’s gloriously sunny! You just never know what to expect here lol.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Izzy,
    Congratulations on achieving your current weight. It’s really nice that the lady noticed your weight loss when you were at the shops. It certainly boosts self esteem.
    Two days ago I achieved a BMI of 29 – I never thought I’d be so happy to say that I’m overweight – but it’s all part of the process ie. obese, overweight, normal weight. The ease of the BSD makes this achievable. Having people on the forums for support is such a bonus.
    Have a great day Izzy and BSDers.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Thank you Switzerland, well done for getting to bmi 29! it really is an achievement and you are right BSD makes it possible ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a little of my nut brittle yesterday, it is good but actually the macademia’s are not the best to mix in they seem to burn quicker than the optimum time to cook the rest, but it is still nice. I do like the mix of nuts and seeds though so I will certainly continue to make it this way just skip the macademias. I didn’t actually go over 800 though as I wasn’t hungry and didn’t feel I wanted to. Gone are the days of eating for the sake of it.

Remember the chicken curry pasties I made a week or two ago? Well I’ve had an idea… make the pastry as before, but adding some grated cheese, a little tomato puree and some pepperoni… pizza pasties. So today I plan to make those, and a batch of crackers as I ate the last of my stash yesterday. The almond flour crackers are great as they last all week in an airtight tub.

I tried on a summer dress I’ve had for a few years yesterday, I didn’t want to wear it just wanted to see if I wanted to keep it lol. It used to be bigger and fitted my larger body but then when we were staying with relatives it shrunk in the wash and didn’t fit but I kept it anyway. It fits really nicely now so I will keep it for now. Also because 4 days/week I wear a work uniform, sometimes a couple of weeks will go by in between me wearing certain other garments. The jeans I have grown (down) into still fit well but I can certainly feel them looser around the leg than they were a couple weeks ago when I last wore them. My shoulders are looking less rounded, I can definitely see myself changing.

Food today is going to be raspberry almond milk shake (I’ve already had it) pizza pasties for lunch (hopefully) and I’m doing a roast chicken for dinner. I will do roast veg including potatoes for the others, and I think I will make some fresh tomato salsa to have with salad with mine and a few carrot chips maybe.

When my friend the other day asked my secret and I explained mostly that I’ve stopped trashy carbs, she said but what do you eat? I flippantly just said – everything else and now that I’ve been doing this I know that ‘everything else’ is a lot of amazing food and not boring or difficult at all. I have to confess though that 3 months ago I was a little like her, thinking that cutting carbs would be difficult.

I know from my losses being on the slow side that as time goes on I might need to cut my carbs further, I know I eat more than many, but I’m prepared to do that in the future to get where I want to be. For the moment though I’m happy to continue slowly because what I eat feels easy to stick to which gives me long term ability to continue and make this a lifelong lifestyle change.

Well I’m off to get busy with my baking ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a great day everyone!

• posted by Izzy
    on

pizza pasties are good ๐Ÿ™‚ not best for 800 days though as higher in calories, and I think I should have added more filling but a great first effort at something different. I’ve also made a batch of squash and cashew nut soup based on Brett and Lynn’s recipe.

Still to make my crackers though. BSD really brought back the enjoyment of cooking and baking for me.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Pizza pastie sounds delicious Izzy. You could open a bsd bakery!!
    I have clients on this plan now and they are really losing well. Some have over the carbs and don’t lose as well and others like me want to lose faster so stay on it 100%. My client last night lost 13 lbs in her first week so she’s ecstatic. its so fun to see others joy as they get healthy also.
    Well I have clients in a little while and then will go for a walk or swim this afternoon.
    Have a wonderful day!
    ๐Ÿ’œ

• posted by Izzy
    on

They were nice Happy, and pretty easy once you get the hang of the pastry. You’re clients are doing great and how lovely that you are helping them in this way in addition to your original skills. It is great that we can tailor BSD to our own circumstances, desires and abilities.

I’m a bit stressy today. There is a minor thing happening overshadowing things since yesterday. It *is* minor but it’s getting to me nonetheless and earlier for the first time in a long time I really wanted the little packs of chocolate biscuits that are in the cupboard for the kids. I decided – perhaps wrongly that if I wanted to comfort eat that was ok so long as I was selective. Maybe I should have found something else to self medicate with but I’m stuck home alone with my son so I can’t just go and paint etc. I decided to make a nice hot choc with almond milk which is always lovely, and I had a slice of carrot cake that I still had in the freezer. I defrosted it in the microwave and ate it still hot – it was really nice that way. After that I committed to eating nothing else until dinner and I feel fine about that. I no longer want the chocolate biscuits. Obviously I am using a lot of calories for what I ate but that is in fitting with my ad-hoc BSD plan. I’ve had 920 calories so far and I still have dinner to eat later. I will keep my portion small and I should finish the day on max 1200 calories, and 60g carbs, which is acceptable for a free day.

My son is very snuggly today it isn’t like him to lack energy but he doesn’t quite seem himself so we have snuggled much of the day and I’ve been looking at youtube painting tutorials. I’d like to have a go at this one…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO3VOlbe-h8

My husband is working till midnight so I will be able to paint tonight, I think it will do me good.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Sorry you are feeling a bit stressed today, maybe your son is picking up on that and giving you extra cwtches (another Welsh word, for cuddles) because you need them. Sounds like the hot drink and carrot cake has done the trick. When you can have a bit of comfort food but stop when it’s done its job, that’s the secret.
    Enjoy the painting, I’m sure it will help. I’ve been painting the tiles on my dolls house, that works for me!
    Have a better day tomorrow.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Thankyou Bissell, and yes maybe he thought I needed the cwtches!

I decided just to have some soup for dinner as it was just my son and me so it will have kept my calories a little lower than expected. Around 45 and I can snuggle him into his bed.

I last saw my daughter on Thursday morning when I left for work – by the time I got home she had gone to a friends house for a sleepover. She stayed for two nights finally arriving home a few minutes ago… only to announce she was going out! lol I don’t really mind I would rather she be out and active rather than sitting watching tv.

• posted by Izzy
    on

At about 8pm I disappeared up into my loft den and began the youtube tutorial. In between waiting for bits to dry I finished the coasters I had started, including varnishing. I’ve made a tropical fish one, one with some musical notes, one with a moon and a space ship, and a yin yang. They’ve turned out really well I’m very pleased with them.

My daughter was lovely and brought me several cups of tea, partly because being allowed in the loft is a novelty, partly because she was nosy and wanted to see what I was doing and partly (I hope) because she loves me.

I really, really love my loft and it’s hard to believe that only 1 week ago I hadn’t even started it! However it is now 0200 and my son is often awake by 0700 so I best get going to sleep!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Izzy,
    It’s really nice that your loft is your happy place. Not just a happy place but a productive creative place as well.
    Best wishes.

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Congratulations to Izzy and Switzerland on your inspiring weight loss. Izzy I think your BMI would be getting very close to under 30 as well as I am your height and 30 bmi is 10st 10.5 for me (78.4kg) as I am only 151 cm) I have a very long way to go before I get to it, but you and all the BSDers have inspired me. Week 2 weigh in tomorrow morning Australian time

I love it that you have kept going past the 8 weeks.

Keep inspiring us.
    Ruth

• posted by Izzy
    on

Thankyou Switzerland it was great last night when I was finished that aside from bringing down the stuff that needed washed I left everythimg else where it was.

Thankyou Ruth, there are many here who have gone past 8 weeks, check out Happylife, Bill, Lucia and Captainlynnes threads to name but a few! truckloads of inspiration on those pages.I am edging towards bmi 30 yes, less than 3 lbs are needed to pass the 30 barrier. I tend to lose quite slowly so it may be a few weeks but BSD has shown me I CAN.

Good Luck with your weigh in!

I’ve had about 5 hours sleep urghhh

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Thank you ruthdownunder. Despite my user name I’m also from the great southern land. Best wishes for your week 2 weigh in.

• posted by Izzy
    on

hello my lovelies :0)

Want to join me in my Den of Dreams and see what I’m creating up there? I’ve started a new blog to document my journey and share my creations.

http://dragonflydreamseeker.blogspot.co.uk/

I’ve had a raspberry shake for breakfast, going to have some bacon and egg for lunch and we’ll be heading out soon. My husband is taking my son out and my daughter and I are going to the cinema and then we are going to get some shopping for her. She needs a whole new uniform for mid August and the time will pass quickly so we will get a few things today and then the rest later.

I have less than an hour to have lunch, get ready and get out so I best be off!

If you look at my blog let me know what you think of my creations so far ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Great blog Izzy. Your loft space looks lovely. Well done. Enjoy the flight and fulfill your dreams, dragonflydreamseeker. The painting and the coasters look good.
    Do you think losing the simple-carb-fuzzy-carb-brain has released your inner dragonfly? I ask this question because prior to me embarking on the BSD I wasn’t doing anything creative as I lacked energy. Now, it’s like the creative ideas have been released. The creativity gives me a greater sense of wellbeing.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I think it has certainly helped but the journey started long before then. I always wanted to write as a child for example and just stopped as a young adult on the assumption there was no point and I didn’t have time. I didn’t paint because I assumed I wouldn’t paint anything worth having… I can blame my art teacher 30 years ago for that one. I’ve always been creative in the practical sense working out ways to fix things etc.

Really when my husband became so ill with his depression I didn’t recognise him and it was so bad I had told him our marriage was about to end I realised that I was juggling all of our joint responsibilities. His depression had caused him to check out a while before. All I did was work and kids, work and kids and all that did really was make him worse and make me ill too. That was the turning point, a time when I stood up and demanded that I could and should take back time for me. I wrote my first novel in a haze of depression but it helped me survive it – my own little world where I had control over what happened.

Couple that with coming to that place in my life where I don’t fear failing at something. If no one likes my painting who cares – I like doing it. If I never sell a book who cares – I’ve enjoyed writing and people I love have enjoyed reading.

It’s been a long walk back to health for me and I don’t dismiss the part BSD has played but it isn’t all that has contributed. I’m also aware that whilst increasingly I do feel better it also doesn’t take much to knock me down. I am inching ever closer to health but I’m still not quite there.

In other news… I ate a chocolate muffin…

confession complete!

all other food as planned, chicken salad and home made salsa any minute and tomorrow back to 800!

• posted by Izzy
    on

Good morning my lovelies.

Monday again, how does that keep happening so fast?

Yesterday my daughter and I were not overly impressed with the movie ‘The Secret Lives of Pets’ it wasn’t bad and there were bits that made me laugh – but it wasn’t awesome.

Before we left I didn’t know if my husband would be home in the afternoon and I set the oven timer to cook the chicken for dinner. I was feeling smug. However when my daughter and I were sat in the cinema I suddenly remembered…I may have set the timer but the chicken was still in the fridge. Thankfully I texted my husband and he was home to pop it in lol.

Yesterday evening my friend came desperate to see my loft den. So we were up there chatting and enjoying the atmosphere of the room, discussing my plans, and I painted a dreamcatcher on a coaster ๐Ÿ™‚ It still needs varnishing so once it is finished I will add a picture to my blog. She is an amazingly supportive friend worth her weight in gold and more. I need a 2nd seat up there for a guest so I was thinking I might get a bean bag.

My daughter asked if she could have the stoney painting I did the other night so I’ve given it to her, and she has requested I do her an underwater scene with lots of fish! I will try. Sudden thought – I could make people christmas gifts this year…

Food was strawberry shake for breakfast, lentil soup for lunch, pasta bake for the family so I’ll make something for me with courgetti.

I would have been over calories on saturday and sunday (over carbs then too I expect) so definitely back to 800 for me today.

Have a lovely day ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Timmy
    on

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Izzy,
    I really admire your self motivation. It’s awesome. To be able to do creative activities for the sake of creating/making something beautiful/writing a story that you need to, is what life is about. We are sentient beings and need to express our creativity. I look forward to your future ‘creations from the den’.
    Have a great day.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Happy Monday Izzy!! So cute your daughter wanted your painting. That made my heart happy! Have a great week!! ๐Ÿ’œ

• posted by Izzy
    on

Thanks you guys, no idea what Timmy meant though haha.Happy it was very sweet she was very pleased when I said she could take it. It’s only on paper so it won’t last she may as well enjoy it.

Have you read Elizabeth Gilbert’s book ‘Big Magic’? Switzerland it seems like something you would enjoy. She is the author of ‘Eat, Pray, Love’ which I just couldn’t get into and didn’t finish but I love her book ‘Big Magic’ It is about creativity, also a book by Julia Cameron called ‘The Artists Way’ helped me to embrace being more creative last year. I’d recommend reading either or both. You can also go on youtube and find Elizabeth Gilbert on Ted Talks, actually let me post a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86x-u-tz0MA it’s worth a listen for anyone creative. There are lots of good tedtalks on writing, creativity and general ‘enjoy life’ type topics.

Well the day has gone fine so far for food and drink. Still to have my dinner but it’s all ready in the pan to cook. Courgetti, onions, garlic, bacon, tomatoes and a little olive oil. I’ll fry it up once my son goes to bed. Not sure if I’ll be in my den tonight or not yet! I’d like to be but I also need time with hubby. Have to have some balance.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Ooo Izzy I started the artist way last year, must read more of the book, it was great! Would love some good projects ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

• posted by Izzy
    on

it is definitely a good book to encourage your own creativity I read a chapter every week and if I hadn’t finished everything I just took the extra time I needed ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Izzy,
    I’ve not read either of those books – thank you for posting about them and the link. (Now you’re giving me homework)
    I’m glad you’ve had a good day.

Please log in or register to post a reply.