Izzy's 8 week diary :)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Izzy, have a good day

• posted by Izzy
    on

well I had good intentions, but I’ve been rubbish. To the point where I don’t even really want to weigh myself lol but the clothes I’ve been wearing still fit so it can’t all be bad. I’ve had two meals out and eaten badly. Somehow I think I just need to properly start again.

I’m not at work this week as my childminder is on hols so I’ve had a lazy morning so far with my son. I made almond flour pancakes for breakfast which I’ve not had in a while and enjoyed them a lot ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll be taking my son along for his afternoon at nursery (at 1220) and on the way home I’m stopping at the shop to buy ingredients to make a nice pot of soup.

Whilst I am cooking the soup I will make a batch of almond flour crackers which I also haven’t made in ages and I miss!

Dinner is going to be pork loin steaks which I might do in a chinesy marinade with 5spice powder and soy sauce with maybe some broccoli and cauliflower.

I’m going to break myself back in this week by being really focussed on the foods but not calories, I ate bread yesterday and ended up really tired again so it just goes to show. I know that I find it harder to control being at home than at work, so if I can get through this week without the rubbish carbs, hopefully break that cycle, and then cut the calories next week when I’m at work.

I’ve taken a whole chicken out of the freezer for tomorrow’s dinner so I’m already a step ahead for tomorrow. I mean business, and although I’ve struggled I still believe in BSD and I still feel like I can do it, so I will. My self imposed target is to lose another stone before the year ends. target is 10st. There I’ve said it! Any loss will be embraced and seen as an achievement however.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Izzy,
    Like you, I find it easier to stick to the diet when I’m at work – tearing around like a blue-arsed fly I don’t have time to think about food, and I mostly manage to avoid the communal biscuit tin at coffee time. Home is worse, I know what’s in the cupboards, the fridge, and my willpower can disappear in a puff! I’ve been through a few weeks where I’ve let things slide a bit, the motivation has disappeared a bit now that I’m at a weight where I feel comfortable, but I still have a few more pounds to lose before I reach my ultimate target (that’s 9.5stone) so I’m safely within the healthy section of the BMI. Again, like you, I think the BSD is a very maintainable regime, just need that 2nd wind to spur me on.

• posted by Antigone
    on

Hi Izzy – good luck you CAN do it. I started week 8 today and have only 2 lbs to lose to reach my (first!) target – should manage it in this final week. I hit a plateau in week 3 then weeks 5 & 6 were a disaster but what really helped me was using an app to track my food/calories/nutrients so I could see the weekly averages which helped me to sort myself out. In the past I might have thought ‘I’ve blown it so I may as well have cake or whatever’ now I can adjust my overall stats by having an extra strict day if necessary. You’ve only one stone to lose – some folks on here have lost epic amounts of weight – you could do that really quickly if you are strict and then you can glide into maintenance ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep posting….

• posted by Izzy
    on

Thanks you guys encouragement is always good ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve already lost 2 st on BSD, but for me it is slower than most. For the most part I don’t mind the rate of loss, I’m still lighter now having lost two stone than I have been in years! I’m not even sure I *like* carbs anymore. When I eat crap I really can’t say that my taste buds are singing anymore than when I’m eating tasty BSD friendly food. There is definitely truth in the carb addiction thing and the cravings for me come when I’m low/tired/stressed as it will for all of us.

I love BSD food, I didn’t feel deprived at all when I was established in my routine before and was excited with the food! I just need to get back there, but we all have stressy times.

I finally have my last hospital test on tuesday for my dizzyness and fatigue, then an appointment on 5th october to discuss results, so we will see what they say, hopefully they will have a treatable conclusion and I can be helped!

Today having browsed some recipes, I have settled on not one but 3 soups to make. So I will blitz it all in one go when my son is at nursery and then I can stock my freezer. Any time I’m hungry I can have soup ๐Ÿ™‚

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6450/curried-leek-and-carrot-soup.aspx?o_is=LV
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/273/cauliflower–butter-bean-and-dill-soup.aspx?o_is=SR
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1632/ham-and-bean-soup.aspx?o_is=LV

I’m skipping the potato in the first recipe and I’m going to add a bit of cauliflower, and I’m not soaking haricot beans for the last one I’ll just buy a can. Might just do butterbeans.

I’ll be at a loss as to which one to eat for lunch!

• posted by Izzy
    on

soups all turned out great, so that’s my freezer stocked. Ate some for lunch today as well.

So today I had my test at the hospital so now I have to wait until 5th October for my next appointment, but at least all the tests are done, and I’m off soon to get my hair trimmed up as well so that will be chilling.

I had some strawberries and half a banana in some cream this morning – lush. I know we’re not supposed to have banana but I figured half of one now and then is ok. After my hospital test I came home feeling really hungry so I don’t know if that was an after effect of the drug they gave me but I haven’t felt that ravenous in ages lol. I had a big bowl of carrot and leek soup and I used babygem lettuce leaves to make wraps with some ham and cheese. I’ll end up high on calories I expect but I’m not really counting this week, at least I managed not to eat crap.

• posted by Frog
    on

HI Izzy
    good to hear you’ve got all the tests done that you were waiting on – fingers crossed for the results.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Thanks Frog, just need to wait now until 5th October.

after yesterdays ravenous episode I went to get my haircut and was feeling fine, then got home and soon after I was exhausted. I googled and turns out a lot of people get tired after that test. I was really struggling and ended up going to bed and was asleep over an hour. Then up again, chicken and salad for dinner, early bed. I feel like I lost half a day lol.

Thankfully today I feel more normal. I’ve been chilling but I really should get to breakfast as I’m starting to feel hungry. I might make a shake, then soup for lunch. Going to make fajita’s tonight with the leftover chicken for hubby I’ll have the chicken with salad again.

• posted by weescotty
    on

Izzy thanks for soup ideas and curried cottage pie with butter bean mash. Have added them to my file. I get bored rather too quickly if I eat the same thing too frequently – first world problem I know, imagine eating phala or similar every day with no variation. You would just have to if there is nothing else. Very bad situation in Malawi this year. Poor harvest. Remember them.

• posted by lyn1950
    on

Well done Lizzy – I know its hard but keep going – Lyn 1950

• posted by Izzy
    on

That test last week wiped me out for most of the week ๐Ÿ™ hope it was worth it. You are right weescotty we are very fortunate in this part of the world, glad you like my foodie ideas ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Lyn, and thank you.

It has been hard and today is the first day back on counting and yay my son might have scarlet fever so I’m now in a muddle but such is life. Going to see the out of hours doctor in about 5 mins, thankfully he is fine and happy mostly just has the rash so have to get him checked out.

I’ve so far managed to stick to BSD today but my stress levels are rising! I’m going to buy something for my husband to chuck in the oven and just eat soup for me as I doubt I will feel like cooking when I get back from the doc.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Thankfully he does not have scarlet fever, but I really could have done without the panic lol. Ah well grateful all is well.

Time to sleep, night BSD-ers.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Izzy,
    It’s good news that your son doesn’t have scarlet fever. However, you still have a sick little boy. Look after him and yourself.
    I hope he recovers quickly.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi Switzerland, thankyou, I’m about to wake him up so I will see how he is but yesterday aside from the rash he was normal so thankfully nothing too much, fingers crossed he wakes up happy.

I have a meeting to attend this morning so I’m hoping I can go but of course if he is unwell then he comes first.

Assuming I can go to work I will be on ‘bacon roll avoidance’ duty, I’ve had a strawberry shake so my tummy is full. I have soup for lunch and I’m doing pork steaks for dinner later. My weight this morning hovered just above 11st, so I’m hopeful to be back in the 10’s soon.

I know that it seems weird but I still feel empowered by BSD. I’ve had this period of nonsense where I’ve eaten stuff I shouldn’t and been off track – but the most my weight has varied is by 4 lb’s up. Any other diet I would have been on my way back up to gaining much more by now.

Yay for BSD and the new habits I have, because even going off track doesn’t take me so far off track as before ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bissell
    on

Good for you Izzy, hope the lad feels better today.
    Keep on keeping on.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Morning, back again. I’ve not really been well – again, and haven’t really stuck to the rules but on another positive note -again (lot’s of agains) I weigh the same so it’s not too bad.

I’m thinking of trying to change a few things… not made decisions as yet but I’ll check in later.

I have been doing lots of painting, which I will get up on my blog soon for you guys to see ๐Ÿ™‚

Gotta get going (Monday Monday aaargh)

• posted by Bissell
    on

Good to see you back Izzy, I’ve been wondering how you were. Great that you haven’t put on any weight in your absence and that you are hanging on in there. Look forward to seeing how you go.
    Best regards Bissell

• posted by Izzy
    on

Thanks Bissell ๐Ÿ™‚

Well I’m sat here nursing a headache – but that could well be carb withdrawal which only shows I stuck to BSD today woohoo.

I had some nuts and raisins for breakfast, some carrot and leek soup for lunch and not sure yet about dinner but I’m thinking eggs.

• posted by Izzy
    on

dinner= boiled eggs and salad.

• posted by Izzy
    on

morning. Ok so I’m realising that I eat breakfast every day religiously because I feel deprived if I don’t however I’m not that hungry 1st thing on work days as it is so early. I took nuts and raisins to work yesterday and ate them 9-10, and then wasn’t worried that lunch ended up delayed until about 1400 because breakfast hadn’t been such a long time ago lol, so I think I will continue this trial this week and see how it goes.

Today – nuts and raisins, soup, and stuffed courgette for dinner ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

morning my lovelies. Well last night we didn’t actually have stuffed courgette as I started making a batch of almond flour crackers and didn’t have time. What we did have was pork mince bolognaise made with celery, onion, pepper, chilli and a left over carrot. with some chopped fried courgette and a few crackers, it was yummy.

The crackers are my best batch yet – I added onion salt and fajita seasoning to the mix yummy yum.

so today I have a day off work because I have my hospital appointment so we will see what they say about my tests and hopefully they can help me with my symptoms. It means I get a lazy start to my day and a leisurely afternoon ๐Ÿ™‚

Soon I’m going to have a shower and then I think I will make almond flour pancakes for breakfast, take my son to the childminder, go for my appointment, get some food shopping on the way home. Then I have my son’s birthday presents to wrap as he is FOUR today! no idea where the time went. Then I plan to try to tidy my van a bit before getting my son home again.

lunch might be soup or crackers, Dinner is going to be roast chicken, I will probably have mine with salad I think.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Snap Izzy.

I’m of to consultant appt with no 2 son today, he’s 32 but we need two minds on this, he then has a guys hospital appt in mon, so hopefully we will know his future then. So good luck with yours hope you get the help you need. Keep going with the food planning, it’s something we can control, and I find that comforting. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Just one minor observation. I inadvertently bought nuts and raisins instead of mixed nuts and was stunned by the carbs in raisins – 20g in an ounce. I donated them to number 2 son!

• posted by Izzy
    on

I know lol they are pretty ridiculous, I have a small amount only so it’s ok ๐Ÿ™‚ I log it all on mt fitbit app. I have about 15 raisins in my tub which is only 6.2g carbs, there is more in the nuts!

yesterdays calorie count was a bit high at 926 but the carbs for the whole day was 44g, day before was 830 calories with 42g carbs so as long as I don’t add too many raisins it should be ok. I won’t have nuts every day though because the calorie count for them is high, it’s just trying to think of things that can be eaten out and about without too much effort.

• posted by Izzy
    on

GreenJanet I missed your post I’m sorry, I hope those appointments went well and there is good news for your son x

My appointment was both a relief and a disappointment. I’ve tested negative for Adisons disease which of course is a good thing but there is no verified reason for my symptoms. He says it is common for people to have fluctuating blood pressure and feel dizzy but usually it is teenagers he has in being tested and he has no suggestions as to why at the ripe old age of 40 – it started for me. I joked that I’m having a second adolescence lol. He said there are drugs I can take but the side effects can be worse and he recommended against them, it’s manageable so I’ve agreed. There is nothing they can do for the tiredness and no known reason for it. Maybe it’s just life lol.

It seems unreasonable that sometimes I can sleep for 10 hours and still feel tired, but then other times I’m fine. I dunno.

Anyway, yesterday I allowed myself a slice of chocolate cake – it isn’t every day your child has a birthday ๐Ÿ˜‰ good excuse lol. My final count was 900 calories and 65g carbs so not outrageously high. On Tuesday I will have a proper weigh and measure and start logging it properly again.

I had left over pancakes I made yesterday so I’ve eaten some of those with raspberries for breakfast, I have soup for lunch and we’re having chicken fajita’s later (no wraps for me I just have the filling with salad)

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Fajitas for me too tonight. I buy the crispiest lettuce that I can find and use that instead of tortillas. Also works for burgers, tacos, bacon sarnies etc.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Izzy, I often get strangely and inexplainably tired too. We think it’s anaemia and I hope you get to the bottom of yours soon.
    I so agree with you that on this diet, even going off track was never as bad as it was before!

• posted by Izzy
    on

I was low on iron earlier in the year and had tablets but it’s ok now they say. I dunno it’s just a bit rubbish at times ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Izzy
    on

well I’m not going to bore you with the messiness that has been the last week, struggling to get back into the zone. I’ve gained another pound too but such is life. All my smaller clothes still fit so I’m not devastated! I refuse to go back up in size though so I need to somehow find my way properly back.

This morning I had a raspberry shake and I’m improvising a new lunch – I’ll let you guys know if it is nice ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi IZZY nice to catch up with you x haven’t seen you round for ages but that could just be we’re online different times
    Glad you had some choccy cake,you needed cheering up and why not on a bday..specially a bday where you brought that person into the world!
    I empathise with being so tired,even after ten hrs sleep.its the quality of sleep that counts,so if you didnt go into a deep sleep,you will wake unrefreshed. I find taking magnesium an hour or so before bed seems to help me sleep more deeply and peacefully.
    How was that lunch by the way? X

• posted by Izzy
    on

Goodness look at the date! I didn’t realise I had gone awol for so long! Clearly I have not managed to fully climb back on the BSD wagon, but fear not my friends nor have I lost my wagon. I have inadvertently found my maintainance plan.

I think that October onwards is always going to be tricky for me as I worry about my husband and his SAD (although he is so far controlling it well this year and did last year too) I just think that perhaps in winter I will need to accept my heightened awareness and slightly heightened anxiety. We’ve had a few additional stressors too – my husband moved location at work to a new store and it has it’s own issues. Everyone’s had at least one virus – my daughter ended up in hospital with suspected appendicitis (thankfully wasn’t)

I’ve had a cold ALL week.

So how is my weight? well it’s pretty stable actually. It’s gone up and down a few lb’s currently sat just over 11st. So I have not piled weight back on, I repeat I HAVE NOT PILED WEIGHT BACK ON!!!! Obviously I haven’t managed to lose more yet – but I know that I will. What I have done over the past couple of months is basically not count anything, and if I wanted a treat (even a carby one) I’ve had it. What I have done that has clearly made the difference though is I still try to drink plenty, and most of my meals are still BSD friendly. Potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc are all just an occasional thing for me now and I find that suits me perfectly well. Sure I would like to get more of my weight shifted but isn’t it fabulous for me to see that now I know how to maintain this? I can take my steps forward as slowly as I like and never need to pile it back on like I have so many times in the past. I feel quite at peace.

The thing that prompted me to return to this page and update is that tonight I had two nights out (I’m not often out and two at once a bit like waiting for a bus) and I’m wearing an outfit I bought a few years ago when I was heavier. It’s a stretchy garment so I thought I’d try it on and see if I can still wear it and I could, but it looks so much better than it did a few years ago! I felt great and every time I saw my reflection I thought – yeah. I look nice. I have a nice figure and this outfit suits me well. It isn’t often I am so positive with my own self image.

I may not have reached my ultimate goal yet, but the year is going to end with me a LOT healthier than I was at the beginning and I’m very proud and happy with that ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope all of you guys are doing well!

If anyone wants to see what I’ve been painting/making etc I’ve pretty much given up on my old blog pages and keep it all now on a facebook group. Feel free to ask for an add and pm me who you are so I know. At the moment I’m really just making things for friends and family but in time I will have stuff to sell.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1009923149122516/

Please log in or register to post a reply.