I've started!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Aha!

I’m not terribly good on the measuring, weighing and calculating front, but I can see I’ll need to find out how much I can eat and drink without gaining weight. Probably it’s about what I’ve been having these last three weeks, with just a few extras (such as wine) now and then.

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Alliecat, i am so impressed with your weight loss and managing to maintain it. I have a question for you, if, after 8 weeks I have still not got to where I want to be, do I go onto the 5:2 diet for a while then go back to doing 800 again? I’m probably being thick but couldn’t see anything in the book about this, only about maintaining.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Not “thick” at all, Sandy! Mosley’s book is a little vague on a number of things, like carb amounts, for example.
    I imagine that is purposeful, because there is so many different ways to do this WOL, and to make it fit with
    different lifestyles. Even if the book had advised me to stop after 2 or 3 months and switch to 5:2, I would have
    ignored it. Once my body converted to fat burning, the increased energy was dramatic, and nothing would have
    induced me to stop, with the possible exception of my personal physician, and probably not even then! ๐Ÿ™‚ I adopted
    the BSD principles and made it all work for me. Six months in I had complete blood work done, and a number of
    problems had completely reversed and by every measure, all my readings were at optimal levels. I hasten to add
    that I was never pre diabetic or had T2D. I’ve been off carbs/sugar for 19 months, and it’s sufficient time for my
    tastes to change, so not even the recent holidays were in any way a challenge for me. There are too many
    maintainers here that just went on to achieve their goals month after month, without a break, to even try to compose
    a list of us! Why don’t you re-evaluate when you get closer to the completion of your 8 weeks? We can have a
    chat about it then! Even today, I still eat basically the same things, only more of them !

Allie

• posted by Squidge
    on

I seem to remember it said that if we feel well and wish to, we can continue with the fast 800, but as Alliecat says, it’s a bit vague about how long for. Or maybe that was on a TV programme he said that?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi again, all. Since this is called The Blood Sugar” diet, there are many who follow it for that stated purpose. I
    undertook the program strictly for weight loss, however, so my concerns may have been slightly different.
    For all the books that I have read for this purpose, I found that Gary Taubes work, “Why We Get Fat…And What
    to Do About It” far more useful to me in changing the way I thought about food forever. That’s when it all clicked
    for me, and I’ve never felt better in my life. In any case, it’s a wonderful companion to MMosley’s books, and I
    highly recommend it! In fact, I do so ad nauseum ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi Alliecat, thank you for your advice, I too am only doing it to lose weight & am not diabetic or pre. As you suggest, I will see how things are at 8 weeks.

It’s lovely to be able to come on the forum & find things out from others. You are all so helpful.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ll have a look for that book, Alliecat.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Squidge, I know that it’s available on Amazon. Some people here have found it a “hard read”, but I consider
    it “the Bible” for weight loss, and I still reread it every 6 months or so, so that I don’t get complacent or ever convince
    myself that “carbs in moderation” is a viable option for me.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Morning All

Sorry I haven’t been commenting over the weekend, I try and avoid my computer at the weekend as I spend so much of the week sat in front of it.

Glad you all like the idea of my tattoo, of course I will post once I reach the proportions of Popeye.

Alliecat – your weight loss is incredible, beyond incredible.

I have lost a solitary lb over the weekend, so my loss is slowing down, but I am committed to this so I will just keep going. I am going on holiday towards the end of April, so I have 13 weeks in which time I hope to look better.

Have a great day everyone one and thank you for your support – you keep me away from the carbs. You are the new superheroes – “Defenders of the Girth”.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Don’t blame you for taking a break from the computer Jules.

I ate biscuits yesterday. Lots of biscuits.

I’ll try not to do that again. I’ll also avoid the scales for a few days.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Squidge

Hope things are good with you – apart from the biscuits!

I was back at my Mum’s last night, but think she now has got the message and doesn’t try and force feed me with mashed potato. Although did offer me a chocolate.

My weigh in tomorrow, I don’t think I will have lost much despite being very good, but I knew it would slow down. On the upside I did manage to squeeze my huge ass into a size 14 pair of jeans which have been languishing in the wardrobe for some time! They were in the unwearable section, but will now be upgraded to snug!

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi Jules, well done on getting into those jeans! I can’t remember the last time I got into a size 14 anything. Perhaps that should be my aim. I lost 4lbs at the end of my second week but after reading some old conversations on here, I realised I wasn’t drinking enough water, even though I drink loads of tea, so I’ve been drinking a couple of litres a day as well!!

I live in hopes that next week’s weigh in will be as good as this week.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Tangible evidence that progress is being made, Jules!

Squidge, banish those biscuits from the kingdom! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Sandy13

Well done on the 4lbs

It’s been a while for me too, although my top half is the problem area. Big boobs and fat arms, huge belly – I’m painting a lovely picture of myself here.

I also struggle with drinking water, but keep a bottle on my desk and keep topping it up. I’m not really sure how much I drink, but I know I spend a lot of time going to the loo!

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hey alliecat

I was actually thrilled, as I tried them on after the first week and they wouldn’t go up, never mind fasten!

Yes Squidge – put the biscuits in a bag and then jump up and down on them until they turn to dust. That would lose some calories as well.

• posted by alliecat
    on

You should be thrilled, Jules! These non scale victories are
    what sustain us in weeks where the scales aren’t being
    co-operative. You can still be losing inches ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by JulesB
    on

Thanks Alliecat

I will keep you posted on the further tales of “The incredible shrinking butt”

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done re the jeans, Jules!

Yes, I’m fine. The biscuits were just a blip. I’m trying to focus on the fact that I’ve avoided unhealthy carbs nearly every day this month, rather than beating myself up for the times I’ve had them (I scoffed chocolate one day near the start too). My habits are definitely improving.

Sandy, you’ve reminded me my water intake has slipped a bit. I’ll go and have a glass now.

• posted by ohtobethinagain
    on

Hi losers!!! (meant in the nicest possible way!)

can I join you on this journey – I began on 8th of January, and so far a 6kg loss, aiming for a first target of 10kg. As I had a weekend in Denmark early in January I decided to start to day after we returned, hence the start date. Unfortunately (well not really|) hubby decided we are off to an antiques fair in Sweden next month, hindering if not scuppering the 8 week challenge – so I have decided to do a five week run, take a few days off – and complete on return.

I have found it, in the main, surprisingly easy – except for little things. Stopped the half a spoonful of sugar in my tea, but only managed down to a quarter of a teaspoonful – though out of 3 or 4 cups of tea a day, I only ever finish an odd one, so I’ve decided not to sweat it. Also, while a square of dark chocolate seems permissible, not my favourite treat – I have had an odd Thornton’s diplomat from a heap bought for me at Christmas, or Bonne Maman Lemon tartlet – quite a treat and always within my 800 calories and 50g of carbs. Of course could do even better without them but I’m not a good martyr, and working from home when the kitchen is always in the next room is tricky sometimes!

Keeping to 800 calories over two meals is certainly doable- mainly bacon and eggs or ham and eggs or something and eggs for brunch, but I’ve been having porridge as an alternative meal. Dinner meat or fish and veg – I’ve completely cut out bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and alcohol. I can stay under 50g of carbs, but anything under 25 makes me feel deprived, but might try it for a week before I go away.

Son has a 6 month old German Shepherd pup who is somehow my responsibility, so 10,000 steps is a doddle.

Of course, the first couple of weeks is the easy part, the honeymoon period, now its time to lash myself to the mast. So that’s my journey so far – nothing exceptional but I haven’t started eating my arm or the table leg yet.

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi ohtobethinagain, welcome. I started my diet on 8th January & haven’t found it too bad at all. I used to eat a lot of bread but am so determined to lose weight THIS time that I haven’t really missed it too much.

The worst time is when my husband has toast, I don’t know what it is about the smell of it, but that’s when I drool! I’ve been looking online for substitutes for bread but nearly all of them include ingredients I can’t get out here in Greece. I do order from Amazon but it takes so long to get here I’ve usually forgotten what I ordered.

Plus, I want to make it NOW not in three weeks time.

We have two dogs but my husband always takes them for walks so I haven’t been exercising as yet so am quite surprised I’ve lost as much as I have. Must do something about that.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Morning All and hello to ohtobethinagain!

Week 3 in and I have lost a further 3lb, so it has slowed down, but that takes me to 20lb in 3 weeks, so I am happy with that.

I agree that bread and toast has to be the hardest!

I try and keep under 20g of carb and I think on a couple of occasions I may have gone to 23, but nothing higher than that.

Have a good day everyone xx

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi Jules, congrats on your three week weight loss, it’s very encouraging for the rest of us!

I did read somewhere about keeping carbs below 20, I do try but some days I don’t manage it. Maybe that’s the answer to your loss.

I must try harder!

• posted by JulesB
    on

Thanks Sandy13

I think the answer to my loss is that I put so much weight on in a short period of time!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Welcome ohtobethinagain!

We make it hard for ourselves if we have things we shouldn’t eat in the house (as I discovered with a box of chocolate biscuits this week) so I’m impressed you’re sticking within your calorie allowance.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Squidge

That’s very true. I am lucky that my husband is doing the BSD, and my daughter no longer lives at home so we are clear of all temptation. My Mum’s however is like a minefield of temptation – biscuits, cakes, chocolates, but I am learning to resist, no matter what she offers me. This week’s comment was “you deserve a treat after all that dieting”!!! I’m only 3 weeks in.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I think we do deserve little treats. Just not ones with carbs in. Most of us have come to think of stuff like cake and chocolates as a reward or something to cheer ourselves up. We need alternatives – flowers maybe, or a magazine.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Squidge

I just keep booking holidays, with the aim that I will be slim by then!

• posted by Squidge
    on

I haven’t bought new ages for years as I don’t want to get more in my current size. Maybe I should treat myself to some socks and imagine how great it will feel to buy other stuff?

• posted by JulesB
    on

I have a few ‘fat’ clothes which have tided me over. But I am looking forward to going shopping for smaller sizes.

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Good morning all from sunny Greece, I have just finished week 3 and have only lost a pound but the total for the three weeks is 12lbs, so I’m trying not to be downhearted. I think my daily carb total was a bit more than usual so will try to do better this week & keep up with the water. Have a good week all!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Sandy13

No, don’t be downhearted. It might be the carbs as you say, but I remember slowing right down in Week 3 (in fact I don’t think I lost anything!) – so stick with it. Sounds to me like you’re doing great.

Btw, the smell of toast – I know exactly what you mean!

Have a good week everyone

• posted by Squidge
    on

Sandy, 12 lbs in three weeks is really good. Anyone on a standard low fat diet would be delighted with that!

I think that because some people do lose weight really quickly with this plan, we tend to feel more modest losses are a failure, but they’re not. Taking control of, and improving, our health are what are important. The speed this happens isn’t really an issue.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Morning All

Well done Sandy, 12lb is not to be sniffed at, its nearly a stone.

I hope the weather in Greece is better than it is here – pretty grim day!

A week today and I will be having my knee op so I am on that final push to lose some more before I go into hospital. I’m more worried about what they are going to feed me more than the operation. I suspect it will be a carb overload!

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Thanks for all your encouragement. I know it would have taken me a lot more than three weeks at WW or SW.

Yes, JulesB, the weather is up to 18c today but the nights are really cold & will be for another month.

How long will you be in hospital for? Perhaps your husband can bring you in something. Anyway, good luck with that!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Good luck with the operation, Jules.

You’d think hospital food would be healthy, wouldn’t you, but from what I’ve seen it doesn’t seem to be.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Sandy

My friend is on a diet – not sure what, its devised by a gym, and she is losing 1lb a week. I would find that very disheartening.

Sounds nice, at least during the night you are warm and cosy in bed!

They have said initially 3 nights, but I am hoping for 2. It depends how quickly you can start getting around on crutches and upstairs. So I am determined to be out by Wednesday!

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Squidge

Thank you

I’m imagining toast and shepherds pie, but who know, I may be surprised. I will be annoyed if I put weight on though!!

• posted by JulesB
    on

Morning All

Weigh in day seems to come round quickly. This week I have lost 4lb, so thats a total of 25lb. I am pleased with that and do think I look a little thinner, although I seem to have lost from the areas I least need to lose from, isn’t that always the case. I hope you have all had a good week.

We are now half way through the 8 weeks, but I will continue until I go away on 20th April. I’m hoping I will need a new wardrobe and won’t feel as self conscious as I have over the last few years.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done, Jules! That’s impressive! Do you feel healthier?

I put back on some weight after the biscuit ‘incident’, but that’s gone again now. Although I’ve not lost loads in BSD terms, I’ve done better than at previous dieting attempts and am happy to continue. Perhaps more important than the actual weight loss, my diet is now healthier (more varied, more veg) and I feel I’m learning good eating habits that I’ll keep. Planning meals in advance is one โ€“ if I know I’ve got the ingredients for a healthy dinner I’ll enjoy, it’s easier to avoid junk.

I stuck with dry January! I don’t intend to become teetotal but a glass of wine will now be a treat, rather than two or three glasses with dinner being standard. I’ve also kept up the walks, doing at least 10,000 steps every day โ€“ I enjoy it and can fit it into my life, so will keep that up. (Fortunately my husband is on board with all this, which will help a lot. He’s lost 6 lb, despite having larger portions generally and admitting to having carbs ‘a few times’ and being involved in the biscuit incident.)

Overall I feel fitter and healthier and as though I’m far more in control of what I eat and drink. Here’s to the next four weeks!

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Squidge

Yes I do think I feel healthier, apart from my knee which is hindering my exercise, but in a few weeks I should be back to full fitness and be able to do more exercise.

Shame about the biscuit incident, but I suppose it served as a little reminder.

I think the key is planning, I make a list of all the meals for the week and then make my shopping list from that. It also means we don’t waste anything and neither do we have any temptation in the house. We are off out tomorrow night, but will stick with steak and a salad.

Mr Pacman’s dry January didn’t last – he was back on the beer last weekend. Up until then he had lost 25lb, it’s his weigh in day tomorrow, so will see what damage he has done!

But yes I do feel healthier and able to make the right food choices.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Being able to do more exercise, and having less pain should make a big difference to how you feel. Hopefully the weight you’ve lost will help with the recovery after your op.

Yes! to the planning. It really helps. One think I’ve found is that although I still think about food quite a bit, I’m thinking far more about the foods I should be eating and less about cakes, chocolate etc. It’s much easier to avoid the temptations of the bakery aisle, if I know I don’t need anything from there, so don’t go down it!

It will be interesting to know how the beer affects Mr Pacman’s result this week and if that puts him off it. Maybe, like me and the biscuits, it will be a lesson learned.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Squidge

I am not a great fan of cooking, but I have found I am trying to find ways of making food tasty and interesting without increasing the calories or lots of carbs. I have been using spices and herbs to give plenty of taste. I cooked some cauliflower and onion in the oven with a sprinkling of spices and a dash of oil and it was delicious. I also love cauliflower and or/broccoli rice and we tend to have his a lot with a low cal curry. I’m not sure I would enjoy rice now.

Knowing my husband he will still have lost! Which will then justify having more beer this weekend!!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Do you have a big dog you can persuade to put a paw on the scales when he’s weighting himself?

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Squidge

Sadly not! Although he says he only wants to lose another stone and happy to go at a slower pace! Despite that he spends ages looking at his shrinking belly in the mirror…

• posted by JulesB
    on

Well Squidge

There is no justice in this world. Mr Pacman lost 3lb this morning after drinking hundreds of calories worth of beer at the weekend, whilst I sipped my water!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Grrrrr! It’s good he’s lost some really, but yes it does seem unfair.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Grrrrrrrrrrr – my thoughts exactly!

• posted by ohtobethinagain
    on

thanks for the welcome – that’s an impressive number Jules, well done.

Why did I say I had given up the drink – well I had until a bottle of sparkly was opened just cos we put a lump of concrete in the garden? Well, it didn’t go to plan and the plan to build the garage was first made 20 years ago – and the sparkly was not my idea! Though the champagne for doing the self assessment three days later was – there is, a seed is sown and suddenly I start celebrating doing a tax return I should have done months ago, and I’ve been doing returns for 25 years and never thought to celebrate getting them done!!!

I feel for you Jules, my husband has only about a stone to lose and he has lost 9 lbs so far, in spite of an awful lot of sausage sarnies, ok loss less that me but he is under the 80kg and i’m still a distance away!

• posted by Squidge
    on

How are you all doing?

We had to go away for just over a week, which made following the diet pretty well impossible. We made the best choices available to us though, didn’t always have breakfast (except tea, can’t do without that!) skipped a couple of lunches (we really weren’t hungry and bread/pastry where the only options) and walked lots โ€“ and both lost 2 lb!

I find that encouraging as it suggests we’ll be able to maintain the weight loss without too much trouble. Before that though, I have a stone to get rid of, so it’s back to doing this properly.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Squidge

I hope you had a good week away and that is great that you have lost 2lb.

I was in hospital last week and as I suspected the food was very carb high and managed to gain 2lb in the week. I was also very sick after the anaesthetic and they were force feeding me toast! Also when I came home my husband was struggling to cope with looking after me and everything else and decided sandwiches were the only option. I also moved very little for a few days, so I am happy with only 2lb. I’m now getting around on crutches fairly well and back on the Fast 800, so hopefully the weight will come off again, although I won’t be able to walk very far. The only bonus is that my arm muscles are building up with using the crutches. Only 5 weeks to go and I should be back to walking normally! Fingers crossed.

Please log in or register to post a reply.