I've started!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hi Squidge, I gave up breakfast at the end of November after a trip to the UK when I put on 1.5kgs and I haven’t gone back to having it. I lost the additional weight very quickly and continued losing but the most interesting thing was that my waist measurement, which had stalled, went down. Oh to add the important part, I have a few drops of milk in my tea and usually have 3 mugs during the morning…I don’t think it counts as fasting if we have milk but I can always give that up later once I stall again 😉

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Diabetty. Sorry for the diagnosis, but your lower result after cutting carbs has proved this will work for you.

I’ve got up once in the night to wee for years. At the start of the diet that went to twice, but settled down after a week. Last night I didn’t get up at all!

Dehydration can make you feel terrible, so do drink lots of liquid. Do you like Bovril drinks? It might be easier to have your salt in that, or maybe dip celery sticks into it. I agree that just drinking it in water sounds grim.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks, Angela.

I’m going to try skipping breakfast, or having it later and see how I get on with that. There was no weight loss again today, so I guess I need to cut back somewhere anyway.

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Hi Diabetty,

I totally understand your feelings about the diagnosis. I was there 3 years ago. If you are like me you will go through a few cycles of anger, denial, determination etc. I did. I also blamed myself a lot. My lesson to pass on is – your life hasn’t changed forever. You can still do all the enjoyable things you did before, you just can’t eat carbs. There is loads on this site and elsewhere about how to enjoy your food without carbs so it isn’t about just eating boring bland stuff.

This wonderful forum will support you, I’ve been on here since December and they have welcomed me, encouraged where necessary and given excellent advice.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Morning all, hey diabetty, sorry to hear about your diagnosis but like the joke you made with your name. You are in a very enviable position of being able to reverse that diagnosis in a fairly short time as you have already seen from the lower results on your second test. Yes, it might be a change in eating habits for life but, in honesty, most people, diabetics or not, should be practicing this way of eating to some extend, even if it is not completely cutting white carbs as we do. We know they do damage in lots more ways that being the cause of diabetes.

Follow the plan and get yourself back to optimum health and show your doctor how it can be done. Good luck.

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Sorry to be late getting into this discussion, Diabetty, if you have trouble sleeping try taking a magnesium tablet an hour or two before going to bed. I used to have trouble dropping off and would wake a couple of times during the night, but don’t have that problem now.

Also, try putting sea salt on your food, it won’t be as quick as drinking salt water but a lot nicer! Not enough fluids could be causing your headaches too. I don’t seem to have that trouble as I drink tea most of the day!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Another pound lost! That’s 8 lbs since the start of the year. That’s not fast in BSD terms, but it seems pretty good to me. It’s certainly fast enough to make me want to continue. If I keep going at this rate, I’ll reach my target weight by the end of February.

I feel healthier too. Whether that’s the diet, exercise or lack of alcohol, I’m not sure. Maybe a combination?

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hey Squidge, 8lbs in 2 weeks sounds pretty good to me, by anyone’s standards. If you could keep that up, it’s a stone a month, so well done.

But do be prepared for it to slow down a bit now that you’ll be burning fat as opposed to shedding water, and may even have the occasional stall. I did when I started this time last year (longest plateau in first month was 10 days I think) but I still lost a stone in the first 4 weeks, so if it does happen to you, please don’t get disheartened, just keep plodding on and it will all come right. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hello Squidge

Good to see your weight loss continuing and that you can see light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. I have much further to go, I want to lose another 2.5 – 3 stone.

My mexican meal at the weekend went very well, and as you suggested we used lettuce to wrap our chicken whilst everyone else had tortillas and I didn’t feel deprived, although I do think that my appetite has subsided and I have lost that constant craving for food.

Have a great week

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi all, just finished my first week and have lost 7lbs! Not bad for an old biddy. Have several stones to go though.
    I didn’t crave carbs at all and didn’t feel hungry, so really pleased with the week.

I know some of the loss will have been water but hope for another good week.

Well done everyone..

• posted by JulesB
    on

Well done Sandy13

I think more than anything a good weight loss says “I can do this” and certainly gives me the motivation to carry on.

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Thanks for the encouragement JulesB, I’m still waiting for my books but just keeping to what I know I like and counting cals/carbs. I write everything down and try to work out the next day or so in advance.

I’m ashamed to say I haven’t started exercising yet! Too cold to swim in the sea so will have to start walking, I guess.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Sandy13

I have started making a menu plan for the whole week and then go and do a big shop, so I have everything in and not tempted by visiting the shop more than once a week.

I am fairly limited on exercising, but trying to walks 10k steps a day and do a little lifting with dumbells. However it is pouring down today, so I will be pacing up and down inside!

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi JulesB,
    I know what you mean about the weather, it keeps raining here. We should start olive picking but the rain is putting that on hold, which is a shame, as that’s good enough exercise. The first year we did it we just about stayed awake to eat dinner then we were in bed by 9pm!

I have got an exercise dvd but I’ve left it in the UK, I’ll have to get my son to dig it out & send it.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Sandy13

I have a very sedentary job, which means I sit at a screen for over 9 hours a day. I how now started setting an alarm on my phone to get me up and moving around every hour and get some steps in!

Olive picking sounds more fun!

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi JulesB

No wonder you try and do a weeks menu , you can’t have much time to cook. I’ve tried a couple of the recipes from this site, but some seem to be very high in cals. I shall just have to wait till after the 8 weeks are up.

I do like to have 3 meals a day so try & spread the calories.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Sandy13

I tend to try and keep things fairly simple, such as chicken with salad, or steak with salad, fish with veg and then spice up with a bit of chilli or pepper. I am attempting just 2 meals a day, by having two eggs (scrambled or hard boiled) at around 11am (or later if possible) and then have dinner at around 6. I have also been using cauliflower or broccoli rice a lot to go with spaghetti bolognaise, (without the spaghetti), which is vaguely tasty – but is a great replacement for rice or pasta. If you can’t get prepared cauli rice I just stick some florets in the blender and make them into a grain, then pop into the microwave for 2 minutes.

For snacks I may have a small piece of cheese or ham, or even smoked salmon.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Well, week 2 weigh in and I have lost another 6lb, making a total of 17 in two weeks. I’m delighted and hope this downward trend continues. I realise that I will stop losing at such a fast rate very soon and hope this doesn’t de-motivate me, but in the words of First Aid Kit, I have to “keep on keeping on”. Hope everyone is having a good week.

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi JulesB, very well done! I am half way through my second week, still no books arrived yet, and weighed this morning but have only lost 1lb since Monday! But also least it’s a loss, just not as fast as I’d hoped. I also forgot to measure myself before starting so did so yesterday. Yikes, I didn’t realise how big I’d got (I tend not to look in mirrors except to put makeup on!).

Still, it can only get better as long as I stay with it. I think I need to review what I’ve been eating though, incase it’s too much carbs.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Sandy13

I was horrified when I measured myself, and I think I have lost about 5 inches so far from various parts of my gargantuan body.
    I think I have lost a lot because I was gorging for almost a month before I started. It began at the beginning of December, reaching a food and drink crescendo at New Year! I need to change my eating habits for life, or I will just continue to yo yo. I have clothes in my wardrobe which I haven’t worn for years and hope I can get into them some time this year. My husband spent all of Sunday organising his wardrobe in order of snugness! Less snug at the front and tight at the back!!

Have a good week Sandy. Onward and upward.

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi JulesB, same here, my son gave me a Thornton’s advent calendar to bring out with me after a visit to UK, my husband decided he didn’t want any so, naturally I had to eat them all! I also brought chocolate Brazil’s and had sweets & chocolate for presents, so decided to research the BSD in readiness for when everything was gone. I started on the 8th January but there are still a few bits around that my husband’s finishing off!

• posted by JulesB
    on

I was awful. I bought a huge Christmas cake at the beginning of December. We ate it and then had to buy another for Christmas, which we ate of course before Boxing Day. Chocolates, nuts & cakes and all washed down with a bottle of Baileys!!

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi JulesB, I forgot about the dozens of mince pies I made, which the two of us ate, with cream! Still some in the freezer which I’m trying to ignore.

• posted by JulesB
    on

I’m not a fan of mince pies unless they are home made like yours. You will have to make your hubbie eat them. Are they calling to you like sirens from the freezer?

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Not exactly, but every time I go into the chest freezer they are on the top beckoning to me, so I think I’d best go down and bury them under something!

Was it you who said you only eat twice a day and, if so, have you been doing that from the start? I’m just looking to change things around to see if that improves my weight loss.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Sandy

Put a bag of frozen kale on the top, that would put me off.

Yes I just have breakfast as late as possible, usually make it to 11-12 ish and then dinner at around 6. Mid afternoon and evening are the hardest times. I sometimes have a piece of cheese or a blob of peanut butter to keep me going and I try and drink lots of water.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ve not lost any weight the last few days, but I’m starting to feel healthier and less like a marshmallow. (And I’ve realised the forum hadn’t suddenly gone really quiet, I’d somehow turned all the notifications off!)

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hi Squidge

Good to hear you are less ‘marshmallow’ like and feeling healthier. I suppose we are all different and lose in different ways and I don’t think you have that much to lose do you?

• posted by Squidge
    on

It seems quite a lot when I try on a fitted dress!

Rates do vary and it does seem those with more to lose tend to shift it slightly more quickly. To be honest the speed doesn’t greatly bother me as long as things keep going in the right direction. I have 18 lbs to go. And it will go!

• posted by JulesB
    on

I am sticking to what I know fits at the moment!

Yes you are right, if you have more to lose then it does goes quicker at first. My target is 3st, but if I get near that and think I look OK then I may stop. I haven’t been that weight since my daugher was 4 – she’s nearly 23!

• posted by Sandy13
    on

I know what you mean! I haven’t got a weight in mind, being an old dear I think I’ll see how things look when I’ve lost a couple of stone. I remember when I first joined WW back in the 80’s, they gave me a target of 9st 7lbs. I did get there but looked like death warmed up! So don’t want that again.

• posted by Squidge
    on

The weight I’m aiming for 9 st 2. (I’m short). I used to be that weight and it’s comfortably within the healthy range for my (lack of) height. I could weigh quite a lot less and still be considered healthy, but I don’t actually want to be thin.

Like you, Sandy when I get a bit closer I’ll asess how I look and, more importantly, how I feel.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Morning Sandy13 and Squidge

I agree with you both, I don’t want to be skinny AND wrinkly. Once I get closer to the target (which is almost 3 stone away)I may re-asses my goal.

In other news Mr Pacman weighed in today and lost 9lb this week, making a total of 20lb in two weeks. Incredible, and he does look slimmer, I’m not sure that I do. There will be no living with him today!

Have a lovely weekend

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi Jules, I always think it’s unfair that men lose weight faster than women. They used to turn up at WW & would reach their target in a few weeks! What on earth are you feeding your other half on or is it just a case of no alcohol?

• posted by JulesB
    on

I know, they have an easier life in terms of weight loss and I do all the cooking! No justice. He is eating more or less the same as me, apart from he has eggs for his breakfast and then takes a salad (made by me) to work with him. So he has a few more calories, but also he has kept off the beer for the two weeks. He wants to lose another 21lbs and hopes to do it in 4 weeks! I wish…..

• posted by Squidge
    on

Wow! That’s rapid weight loss.

Unless the weight loss is dramatic, it’s hard to see it ourselves or in people we see every day. I expect you look slimmer to people who haven’t seen you since you started.

Still no more weight loss for me. I must be eating more than I’ve estimated and will make more effort to keep portion sizes smaller.

On the plus side, I’ve just done an exercise DVD and although I got hot and puffy, I wasn’t feeling wiped out as happened earlier – and I’m much better at the stretching bits. That’s cheered me up.

• posted by JulesB
    on

I like the idea of the “hot and puffy” look! I am continuing to lift those dumbells and do think it is getting easier and have increased the repetitions. My arms are really fat, so hoping they will tone up or at least look like Popeye. May get an anchor tattoo to complete the look.

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

Big wow to you . I want to lose 35 lbs and your post gives me great hope. I have hypothyroidism and yes as everyone says it gets blamed for everything!!! So I’m going to start this and hope I can get results like yours. Well done

• posted by Diabetty
    on

Thanks Squidge and other people for your kind words…I’m sleeping better without needing to wee. Amazing. Will try the magnesium tablet suggested. I cheated last night by having a Chinese but only succumbed to a few salt and pepper chips plus a half share of chow mein. My 1st carbs in about 3 weeks. I do find it hard when I’m cold tired and hungry to love non carb food. It will come. Plus you have to be super organised. I’m loving reading everyone’s posts. So helpful and encouraging. Feeling better 😊

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi Diabetty, I’m just coming to the end of my second week and I am sleeping so soundly that I didn’t know when my husband got up this morning. He even went for a shower, which is next to our bedroom, & I only woke up when he came in with a cup of tea, then it was a struggle to open my eyes! We must be doing something right but I’m nervous about weighing myself tomorrow morning!

• posted by Diabetty
    on

I’m too scared to weigh myself at all. Haven’t for years! I don’t think I’m huge – always described myself as a ‘big girl’ was size 18 bottom 20 top but no weighing!! Too much of a reality check. I am though seeing and feeling a difference in the fit of my clothes so may yet pluck up the courage 🤔

• posted by Squidge
    on

Jules, if you get that tattoo, we’re going to insist the forum allows us to share photos, so we can see it!

Diabetty, could you ask your doctor or someone else to check your weight on the scales, but not tell you? I bet once you’ve lost weight, you’ll want to know how much you were near the start of this ‘adventure’.

I’ve lost a lb! That’s my entire loss for this week, but I’m fine with that. I’m losing weight, feel fine and making changes for the rest of my life, rather than taking part in a short term race.

• posted by Diabetty
    on

The doctor did note it down, I covered my eyes! So adult 😊

• posted by Squidge
    on

Excellent!

• posted by Sandy13
    on

Hi Squidge, i agree with you about Jules tattoo, I think it will look very fetching!

I was worried I won’t have a big loss this week but you’ve made me see the sense in just carrying on even if it isn’t lbs. I am quite happy looking up recipes & trying them out and don’t crave carbs, although I did used to eat a lot of wholemeal bread (& butter of course). But it becomes a way of eating that, hopefully, we can continue for life.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Squidge, Jules and Sandy13, Congratulations! You’re all still standing, and making good use of the forums to
    stay on track. 🙂

Diabetty:
    I can really relate to weigh-in phobia! I didn’t find the courage to do that until 2 months in. I expect that
    you will soon want to know how one week’s losses compare to the next though, and just go for it. I hadn’t weighed
    myself for a good decade and a half before that, and I finally had to ask my doctor where I had started. Our
    capacity for denial can be quite shocking. I began my magnificent journey on June 8, 2016 at 285lbs. Ten
    months later I was down 140lbs, 10 stone! I’ve maintained that loss for 9 months, and have added to it. Today
    I am 138lbs, and exactly at the midpoint in the healthy BMI range for my height (5’7″) .

Keep going ladies…the scales will one day be your best friend! Same goes for this WOL (way of life).

Very best wishes to all of you!

Allie

• posted by Squidge
    on

You’re a total inspiration, Alliecat.

The weight loss is truly impressive, but for me your biggest success is in keeping it off. For now I’m trying not to worry too much about the maintenance aspect, but once I’m there I’ll definitely be seeking your advice.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you Squidge, but you have an entire army of maintainers here, and we’re more than happy to share those
    strategies with you when you’ve reached a weight your happy with 🙂 Pre BSD, I had lost a substantial amount
    of weight on 2 previous occasions, but never managed to keep it off. By the time I found the BSD, I realized that
    maintenance was going to be the bigger challenge of the two! I thought that I had truly “wrecked” my metabolism,
    and never would be able to eat anywhere close to my TDEE. It was a revelation to me to discover that I was completely
    wrong in that assumption, and as long as I keep my diet low carb, I now HAVE TO eat that much to keep from losing
    more weight.
    I think I recall that both you and your o/h were planning on a dry January. Do you think that has made a difference?

Allie

• posted by Squidge
    on

What’s TDEE?

Yes, I think dry January has helped. It means less calories in of course, but also it would probably be harder not to snack after a glass of wine.

We weren’t big drinkers compared with some people we know, but had become slightly concerned we could be heading that way. It was just habit really and we need better habits! In the past we’ve made half hearted attempts to cut down on the drinking (and to lose weight) and it didn’t work. We’re going to set a limit on how much we drink in the future (and it’ll be within the government’s guidelines). We’ve decided on a monthly ration, so if we unexpectedly go out with friends or have a celebration etc we can fit that in without cheating.

I think I need firm rules. If told I could have a small slice of cake a week while maintaining my weight, I’d have a small slice. If told I could have ‘some’ cake, I’d eat an entire Black Forest gateau, nine doughnuts, a pack of muffins and a Victoria sponge.

• posted by alliecat
    on

It means Total Daily Energy Expenditure, Squidge. There is a calculator for this, on Mosley’s 5:2 site I believe. If
    I don’t have the correct location, I’m sure someone else will be along to direct you to the site!

Please log in or register to post a reply.