I've started!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ve done done a weigh in. Eeek. I’ve measured my waist. Double eek. There are no particularly tempting carbs in the house and I have ingredients for healthy meals for the next few days. There’s no reason I can’t exercise. My husband is doing it too, so I have support. We’re off the booze for January. I’m ready …

• posted by Little Annie
    on

Hi Squidge
    I’m a bit of a lurker, shirker and general procrastinator …. I’m about to do the tape measure now ……HELP!!!! I !will weigh in tomorrow as that’s my re-start date. I’ve lost a stone lurking on the sidelines and have around another 2.5 stone to lose but I’m determined, would be nice to have a buddy on the journey GOOD LUCK x

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Annie, It’d be great to be buddies for this.

Well done on the stone lost!

I’ve just been on a long walk so am feeling quite smug. I’d got quite lazy (probably part of the reason I now want to lose weight) but have been doing more walking over the last couple of weeks and it’s getting easier.

• posted by marlonkj
    on

hey guys,

First day for me and my partner too. We have started today but haven’t weighed in as realised the batteries were dead in our scales! Will do it this evening instead, doubt ive lost anything yet!

Good luck

• posted by Chewsnoo37
    on

Hi all! Though it would be useful to join this forum for a bit of support! I’ve started the 800 cal diet yesterday, got just under 3 St to loose and determined to do summat about it! Managed really well so far but back at work tomorrow so more temptations around and a more strenuous day (I’ve been lounging around making meal plans and shopping for last 2 days!). Will be nice to hear how other people are coping!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Marlon and Chewsnoo. Nice to be doing this with others.

I don’t suppose weighing yourself half a day in will matter too much, Marlon.

Chewsnoo, would it help to tell your colleagues what you’re doing? If they’re the sort to comment if you cheat it might help you stay on track. As for a more strenuos day, try to see it as a good thing – it’ll keep you busy, so you’re not thinking of food all the time and will burn the fat faster.

Start of day three for me and I’ve lost 2lb in total. I was quite hungry before dinner yesterday, but not starving. It’s probably just how I should feel before dinner. I feel fine – no cravings yet for cabs or alcohol (I’m doing dry January). I walked and did strength exercises, which were tiring, but then I’m not at all fit yet.

• posted by WillotheWisp
    on

Hello everyone. Can I join your thread for support? My husband and I started on Jan 1st. I have 3 stone 5lbs to lose.This morning I had lost 5lbs (happy). No alcohol for us either. We are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary in June so I am aiming to do three lots of 8 weeks before this date, hoping this will be enough time to lose the 3 stone. We are both looking forward to the challenge of this way of eating. Good luck everyone.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Great start, WillotheWisp!

• posted by Chewsnoo37
    on

Thanks Squidge, we actually had a training day today and one of the activities we could do was a health check (BMI / fat:muscle ratio / viseral fat etc) so it did come up in convo, partly as I was so chuffed I’ve lost 7lb! Prob a good bit of water in there but got to be some fat! And my viseral fat was well in healthy range which I was really pleased with! Well done and welcome Willothewisp!

Any ideas on going over on calories? I’ve just been out for a Nandos which was pre arranged and unavoidable but I checked first and had the best I could have which still meant I went over by 430 cal today but I kept my carbs below 50, do people think it’s more important to keep carbs low if going over on calories? I only have the recipe book at the mo, is it 50g carbs we’re aiming to stay under?

Also (sorry for long post) anyone else getting headaches? My head was banging last night and has started again tonight, I’m drinking loads of water/herbal tea and have had 2 cups of black coffee per day. Not been struggling with food so far though, suppose it all seems quite novel at the moment though! Thanks

• posted by Chewsnoo37
    on

Thanks Squidge, it was actually a training day today and we could have a health check (BMI /viseral fat / muscle :fat ratio etc) so it came up in convo, mainly as I was so chuffed I’ve lost 7lb so far (prob some water in there but got to be some fat too!).

I’ve only got the recipe book at the moment, is it under 50g of carbs we’re aiming for as I’ve just been out for a Nandos which was pre arranged and unavoidable but I checked first and had the best I could have which still meant I went over by 430 cal today but I kept my carbs below 50. Do we think it’s more important to keep carbs low if going over on calories?

Also any one else getting headaches? My head was banging last night and has started again tonight, I have been drinking loads of water and herbal tea with 2 cups of black coffee per day.

Not been struggling with food yet but guess it’s all still quite novel! Well done and welcome Willothewisp

• posted by Squidge
    on

Chewsnoo, from what I’ve read, the low carbs are the most important for controlling blood sugar, slightly less important if we’re only concerned with weight loss – but for the best results we should keep both low.

I woke up with a headache this morning. It eased after my first cup of tea. It might not be diet related though, as I sometimes got headaches before I started. Have you cut down on coffee? I think doing that can cause withdrawal headaches. If that’s what it is, they shouldn’t last long.

I’ve lost 2lb since yesterday! Total weight loss now 4lb, which I’m pleased with. My husband (who is only weighing himself weekly) ate two chocolates yesterday, but otherwise we’ve both stayed on track and feel fine. We used to drink every night and so far it’s not been difficult to go without – I had thought that might be the hardest thing.

• posted by Chewsnoo37
    on

Is anyone else using UK my fitness pal? i think my carbs are lower than i thought as i think it combines carbs and fibre so I have it now showing my fibre and to get net carbs i just subtract them. I got this from reading up on myfitnesspal.com but not 100% if that’s right, any ideas?

What carb totals are other people aiming to stay under?

Great loss so far Squidge!

• posted by WillotheWisp
    on

Hello Chewsnoo
    I use myfitnesspal. I am having to reset my carbs etc % everyday.I guess it’s because I’m not using premium. I am never sure about the amount of carbs in relation to fat and protein. I have seen written on Facebook that if one sticks to the 800 cals a day it will work. I have my carbs set at 50g protein 80g fat 31g. Not at all sure if this is correct.
    I too get headaches. I think it could be caffeine related.
    Thanks and well done Squidge good start. Long may it continue.

• posted by WillotheWisp
    on

Hello Chewnoo, I have just read on another thread 20g of carbs a day is the magic amount, but also read watch how much protein you eat. I have altered my amounts accordingly.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Chewsnoo, yes, that’s right. MFP is a US-based app and they follow the USDA’s atrocious labelling laws. That’s why you have to manually deduct fiber grams to get the net carbs.

I stay under 20 grams a day, a very strict limit because I am insulin resistant. Most people on the forum seem to aim for around 50 grams a day. It’s a bit of a sweet spot for remaining in a fat-burning state instead of the body reverting to burning carbs for energy. Anything in the 50 or fewer should work for you unless you have blood sugar processing issues.

WillotheWisp, Your protein is a little high, I think, depending on the amount of intense exercise you do and your goal weight. For most people a range of .5-1 grams of protein per kilo of ideal body weight is more than sufficient. Unless you do a lot of heavy weight training or Iron Man competitions, you don’t need more than that. Whatever protein is not needed for mucle building and repair will eventually be converted to glucose by the body. You could use more fat anyway so you can shift the excess protein grams over into the fat column.

• posted by WillotheWisp
    on

Hello Esnecca, thanks for the advice. I will alter accordingly.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, all. I agree with Esnecca on the formula for establishing the moderate
    level of protein that is compatible with this diet. I’m at ideal body weight
    and have been in maintenance for 8 months. My protein is set at 50-55gm,
    carbs 30gm, and the rest is allocated for healthy plant based fats. Excess
    protein turns into glucose and then gets stored as fat.

• posted by Chewsnoo37
    on

Thanks all for info, bin reading around and think I’m gonna aim for between 30-50g carbs and not worry too much about the others but keep cal close to 800, playing around with my meal plans I was struggling to get enough cals with too little fat.

Willothewisp found some tips for headaches! Half teaspoon of salt in a large glass of water (I don’t mind taking the extra salt as obv no processed foods at all at the mo) I had one a couple of hours ago and it did ease the headache, having another one now in hope of a better nights sleep as the headaches have been keeping me up. I’ve had it in warm water and actually quite enjoying the savoury hit, sites have also suggested bovril or meat stock as it’s high in salt. Science is cus your insulin is low your kidneys are excreting more water (I.e. The water weight loss) but at the same time more sodium so that is making the dehydration worse. The additional salt helps the body rebalance.

• posted by WillotheWisp
    on

Thanks Chewsnoo. I will certainly give it a go. Hopefully it might help with leg cramps too. I agree with you ref carb values and cals. If we stick to the cals it is supposed to be effective.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I was sure I’d posted here already today … Anyway, what I meant to say is that it will probably take a bit of trial and error to work out exactly what works best for each of us.

No headache for me today and I feel fine. I’ve mostly avoided snacks (had one satsuma) and have stayed off the alcohol. Total weight loss now 5lb – which might be all water!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Squidge! I’m happy to hear that you’re seeing results. It does take a little
    time to find out what works the best for each of us. That’s what we mean
    by the notion of a steep learning curve 🙂 Congratulations on getting 5 days
    in without alcohol! If you continue to seek advice from the Maintainers
    here, it will serve you well in acquiring the knowledge and wisdom necessary
    to succeed beyond your wildest dreams. And the good news is that we are
    always out and about, and more than delighted to share our hard fought
    for success with new members of the community. Newcomers and novices
    never need to try and work it out for themselves! We’re here for you 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Continuing success! How is your O/H doing?

Allie

• posted by WillotheWisp
    on

Well done Squidge. No loss for me today but I am happy I have lost 7lbs in 4days. Friends to lunch tomorrow determind to try and fit it in around this WOE.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks both of you.

OH is doing OK. He’s sneaked a few naughty snacks, but doesn’t eat those where I can see, so as not to tempt me. He’s got less to lose than me and is mostly doing it to support me so I’m not nagging him about it. He’s happy with the meals I’m making and OK with no alcohol too, so his diet is healthier than it was. We’re not going to buy anything else we shouldn’t eat, so it will keep improving.

WillotheWisp, I hope you have fun with your friends and they enjoy their low carb lunch. Will you tell them, or just serve it up?

• posted by WillotheWisp
    on

Squidge,I think I’ll just serve it up. See What they make of it. Although I am going to do them roast potatoes but roast celeriac for us,and tiny portions! We too are not going to buy anything else we shouldn’t eat…. makes it easier. My husband is like yours not as much to lose and finds it easy to be strict. He has lost 10lbs in 4 days.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Crikey. That’s A LOT!

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi WillotheWisp. Re your leg cramps if they are during the night sunshine girl has posted that a small piece of soap in the bed alleviates it. It’s one of those “strange but true” things.

• posted by Chewsnoo37
    on

Hi all, not weighed in today so hoping for good numbers in the morning! Ive had a Bovril and a Miso soup packet today and headaches much better, and less cramping as I was suffering with that too! Finding ‘diet’ part hardest later at night after dinner has gone down, we still have all the chocolates, cracker and biscuits left over from Christmas and present still sat in the living room under the tree and my OH is a slim bean, last night he sat and ate a chewy sweet pizza he had as a pressy next to me! He wasn’t mean about it and it was not too hard to resist as I’m not a huge sweet person. I have managed to resist completely on all those all week but have just nibbled on a small chunk of Mexican Hot Cheese! (we still have a whole eaten cheese board in the fridge!) any ideas for satisfying snacks? I’m also packing up all the carby snacks tomorrow when I take the trimming down and hiding them in the spare room – I hope to be enjoying them in moderation in 8 weeks – lol!

Congrats to the hubby Willothewisp!

• posted by Squidge
    on

No weight loss for me today. I did have a small carby snack last night, which could well be why. Hopefully I’ve learned my lesson!

On the positive side no gain either so I’m still 5lb lighter than I was on the first. I mostly feel fine. My body is telling me about the exercise I’ve been doing. Nothing serious, just a general all round ‘oh, using your muscles again are you?’ type thing.

• posted by WillotheWisp
    on

Morning all. Thanks for the advice about leg cramps Annie. Soap in bed as I write.
    Lost another 1lbs so 8lbs off for me now. I know I tend to plateau very early on from past experience.
    I find it hard too in the evening. I managed to get all of my Christmas excess eaten or sent into work with my husband. I do have a lot of oranges left so I am allowing myself one of those at night until they are finished up. Cheese, I crumbled a bit of a soft blue cheese into a bowl of mixed veg soup. It was a good addition. Thanks for the congrats message Chewsnoo. He hasn’t lost any today, it will all even out.He lose weight very quickly.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi WotW, yes the soap in the bed around the lower leg/feet area. Not a full bar but think mini soap like you get in a hotel. I swear by it and now my hubby has started sneaking his legs over my side of the bed. Thought I was going to get some action but no, he was looking for my soap. LOL 🙂

• posted by Squidge
    on

How weird that the soap thing works!

Another day with no weight loss. This time it isn’t because I cheated. Perhaps the scales will show something tomorrow?

I still feel fine. Slightly sore muscles from exercising, but that’s just because I’m not used to it yet. Even without the possibility of it helping with my weight I’m glad I’m doing something about my fitness.

• posted by Chewsnoo37
    on

Happy Sunday Everyone! 1 week down!

Keep at it Squidge, sure the scales will back up your efforts soon! Another Lb for me today that’s 7 officially (but 11 based on a sneaky just on the scales I did after Xmas!). With being back at work and settling into diet that’s with no exercise! Not even hitting my 10000 steps a day so that’s the goal for this week – inspired by your sore muscles Squidge!

TARGET THIS WEEK: Aerobics on Mon and Thurs and on 3 other days must hit my 12500 target on steps! – there I’ve said it now so gonna stick to it!

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ve got some exercise DVDs with half an hour of aerobis and half an hour of toning/strength exercises. I’m planning to do those around three times a week (or roughly equivalent other exercise) and one really long walk a week, and reach 10,000 steps every day (which will include the steps taken when doing the DVDs). So far I’ve managed it every week this year 😉

• posted by WillotheWisp
    on

Evening All. Well done Chewsnoo, I have clocked in at a 7lbs weight loss for week one as well. Managed a 2.6 mile walk today in the bitter wind. I too need to up my step count too, going to fall short of 10k today by 900.
    You will be well toned Squidge and the weight will come off.
    I hope to settle back into my walking routine when it dries up a bit. I am walking every day but it’s so wet and muddy we are just doing short walks where we know it’s dry.
    Here’s to week 2.

• posted by Squidge
    on

It was cold yesterday, WotW. The icy wind on the seafront was too much for us and we took a more sheltered route.

Another day with no change in my weight, but I’m still 5 lb down in the first week, so that’s not too bad. My husband has lost 2 lb (he’s been snacking a bit). We’ve both avoided alcohol all week. I can’t say we haven’t missed it, but it’s not been the struggle I thought it might be. Overall, we’ve both eaten a more healthy diet, lost some weight, done more exercise and feel fine. I call that a win.

• posted by WillotheWisp
    on

Hello All. Walked around local deer park today, managed the daily step count of 10k . No weight loss. Trying to drink 3 litres plus everyday. Although this means I am up twice in the night . Onwards.

• posted by Chewsnoo37
    on

Workout went well and another 2lb down! Though I’d be flagging and really struggle but was no harder than it was last time I went before Christmas, surprising how your body can adapt to coping with so many less cal! Guess it’s all in the ratios!

I’ve also found there are FB groups for BSD, there are a few different ones and are easy to dip in and out of, though I’d mention it if people didn’t know they were there?

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ve lost 1 lb. As long as it’s heading in the right direction I’m not too worried if it happens fairly slowly.

I’m not finding the diet hard to stick too, but confess I don’t weigh everything when I cook (I keep forgetting) so could be eating a bit more than I should. I’m getting used to the exercise – used to doing it that is. It’s still hard work as I’m still unfit. Looking forward to that improving.

Staying off the drink has been easier than I expected. In the past we’ve decided to cut down, but that never lasted long. Weirdly the strict none at all policy is easier to stick to. We don’t intend to give up permanently, but we’re thinking we should set a firm limit on how much we have in a week. Vague rules are harder to stick to, aren’t they?

WotW well done on the walking. The exercise must do us good even if we don’t see immediate weight loss from it. I’ve been gettting up in the night more too. I’m hoping that’s temporary as having a late night cup of tea is helping me to not snack.

Chewsnoo, you’re doing great! I hadn’t realised there were FB groups too.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Another lb lost – which makes it half a stone now!

Can’t say I look or feel any slimmer, but hopefully that will happen soon.

• posted by Flick
    on

Hey well done Squidge, what a great start!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thank you! It is making my target weight seem closer.

Hope you’re doing OK?

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hello

I have been reading the forums for a couple of months, but finally taken the plunge and started the Fast 800 on 4th Jan 2018.
    I have hypothyroidism and over the past couple of years I have steadily gained weight. However, I tend to blame the hypothyroidism for this when in reality I am like “Pacman” (some will remember the computer game!) eating everything in sight. So after Christmas and a 5 night cruise I started. Weighing in at a hefty 207lbs (the screams could be heard in Oz) I planned for the week.

My weight loss so far has been astonishing
    5th Jan 204lb
    6th Jan 201lb
    7th Jan 199lb
    8th Jan 198lb
    9th Jan 197lb
    10th – no loss today

So in 6 days a total of 10lbs! I am shocked, but also very motivated.

My husband has joined me on this endeavour – he is a bigger version of Pacman.

After all the waffle, my reason for posting is accountability. I want to be able to post a steady weightloss on a week by week basis and enjoy reading of other’s success.

So finally, here’s to a healthier and leaner 2018!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Great results so far, JulesB! Keep it up.

I have hypothyroidism too. It was undiagnosed for a long time and I put on weight, but now I’m being treated I don’t think it makes much difference to how easy or otherwise it will be to get to and maintain a healthy weight. As you say, it’s easy to blame something like that as an excuse not to take action.

My husband is doing this too. He doesn’t have a lot to loose, so is being a little less strict. It does help that he’s mainly eating the same as me (he chooses extras that I don’t like, so as not to tempt me off track).

• posted by Flick
    on

I’m fine, no lifting and a lot of gentle stretching. Day 2 of Round 2 done and dusted. So many terrific Week 1s on this thread! It’s great fun to read.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hello Squidge

I was diagnosed in June through a routine blood test, although prior to diagnosis I had some muscle aches and cramps which I put down to “old” age, but I have no idea how long I have had it for. I joined a Facebook forum and everyone seemed to blame their weight gain on being hypo and I thought the days of being slim (ish) were over. I then came across the BSD and not being one who balks at challenges I thought I would give it a go and here we are!

We are both very motivated at the moment and hope that we can continue.

I laughed last night. I go to my Mum’s on a Tuesday and forewarned her that I was on the Fast 800 and only wanted protein and veg.
    Lo and behold the biggest ever lump of mashed potato was on my plate. When I complained, her response “a bit of potato won’t hurt” .
    Needless to say I didn’t eat it.

Good luck with your weighloss Squidge and thanks for your support.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Stretching is good. I’m mostly walking and stretching, with a bit of aerobics (at home from a DVD). I’ll do more strenuous stuff as I get fitter.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello all, If I can just jump in here? I am also hypothyroid. It took 8 years to diagnose and of course I gained weight. The thyroid is such a complex gland that has so many jobs, it affects our bodies more than we give it credit. It has not been easy for me to lose weight but it is finally coming off. My husband has found he is no longer interested in the white carbs, except it is easier for him to take sandwiches to work, so still eats bread. He has also lost a couple of stone, without even trying!

JulesB, you have lost an astonishing amount of weight in a short time. My biggest lost has been 5 pounds. Bloody well done!

Squidge, I have never felt different after taking my levothyroxine either. However, my sister in law says she zooms around the house after taking hers! It may not be as easy for us hypos as it is for others, but it does work. I think you are all amazing.

All the best
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Squidge
    on

Jules, my test results were misread for years. I’m still cross as I told several different doctors I was sure that’s what I had. They agreed my symptoms matched, gave me a blood test and said I was fine. I was really ill by the time yet another doctor saw me. He read the results correctly and looked back on my notes and said the previous results clearly showed me getting worse. That was several years ago now and I’m fine, except for a very scraggy neck as I’d developed a goitre.

Sorry, may have gone into rant mode there!

Well done for resisting the mash! The thinking ‘a bit of X won’t hurt’ is something we need to get out of thinking. My current weight problem isn’t due to mad binges, but to regularly eating and drinking just a little bit more than I should.

• posted by JulesB
    on

Hello Nonna Mary

I had never heard to hypothyroidism before diagnosis and I am amazed to come across so many others affected by it.
    The levo got rid of the cramps and fatigue, but I can still be a bit achey from time to time, but I remind myself that there are far worse illnesses out there.

I am determined that my weight loss journey will continue and wish you all well on your journeys.

Best Wishes
    Jules

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Nonna.

All our posts are crossing over!

I did feel much better when I started treatment – but I was in a right state at that time. I never had a dramatic improvement in energy or anything like that. The change was gradual and I think I’m back to normal now. To be honest I was always a bit overweight before the hypothyroidism so I do know that can’t take all the blame.

Please log in or register to post a reply.