It's about BGLs really

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Started on the BSD 9 days ago still believing this was about losing weight and hopefully getting to a weight that would result in my BGLs decreasing. Feeling pretty worried as drugs were being put forward rather forcefully by my doctor as my BGLs had gone feral. I started looking at bariatric surgery and somehow discovered this eating plan (not a diet). 1 and a 1/2 days in, my BGLs returned to normal. Unbelievable! I have lost 3.7 Kgs and need to lose another 17kgs to get to a 25 BMI. I am no longer counting carbs for now as the calorie limits mean I’m not getting high readings or even good readings for a diabetic. I now realise the weight loss is secondary to the BGLs on BSD.

I am on cloud 9 – technically I am no longer diabetic ( I know that this is not the end of it). Been a diagnosed diabetic for 9 years.

• posted by neohdiver
    on

Congratulations on the quick BG response!

I’m glad you added the parenthetical about not being the end of it, though! You’ve got control over your BG – which is no trivial thing! But at 1.5 days (or even 9 days) it’s just control – and (as you noted) it’s not the end of it.

I got to 6 weeks before I had to stop, on doctors’ order, to attend to cancer. At that time, I did an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. According to the test, I had moved from diabetic to pre-diabetic. That matched the reality of my BG readings on a maintenance level of calories (still low carb) for the past 3-4 months. My fasting BG was in the range of 5.3 – 5.6 during this period.

I’ve now started back up on the BSD for at least 4 weeks – hoping to move from pre-diabetes to non-diabetic. Again, my fasting BG immediately dropped into the 3.9 – 4.3 range – I’m hoping 4 -5 weeks will get me to the end of it, and I can return to a more “normal” mix of macros..

Please log in or register to post a reply.