I'm a newbie to the diet – is there a list of allowed foods?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by NikkiD
    on

Hi everyone, My name i s Nikki and I am on day 4 of the BSD. My goal is to lose 15 kgs. I am not diabetic but my husband has type 2 diabetes. I bought the book for him and after reading it he is very motivated and hopes to reverse his diabetes. Slowly over the years my weight has crept up kilo by sneaky kilo. And I must admit I have always viewed myself as having little will power. I often don’t stick to diets and think’ I’ll start tomorrow’. My husband and I did some preparation (mental & practical) leading up to starting. I think this has helped, mind you I am still in the first week, as me again in 4 weeks.
    Any hoo, I am looking for a list of allowed foods. I read on some of the forums here that some one has baked beans, lentils and carrots. Are legumes allowed? And carrots? I presume pumpkin is not? Michael says on this site that gravy can be used for flavor – is instant gravy in a packet allowed?
    Can anyone supply me a list of what is allowed and what is not. thank you in advance

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi NikkiD and welcome!

It sounds to me as if you’ve not read the book The Blood Sugar Diet? It’s available in paperback and kindle.

Strongly suggest that you do get it and read it as it’s quite important to understand the health principles behind it – lots of examples and also recipes.

Designed to help people who are Type 2 diabetic or pre diabetic but definitely not just them. Helps reboot your whole system and get you out of carbohydrate addiction.

Basic principles are
    No refined carbs (sugar, flour, bread, pastry, pasta, most breakfast cereals or rice, potatoes)
    Be careful of sugar added to food or high sugar content food – fruit in moderation as it is high in fructose (fruit sugar)
    Be careful of root veg as well as avoiding potatoes – carrots (as you might expect) have quite a lot of sugar in
    Eat full fat dairy
    800 calories per day
    Drink lots – aim for at least 2 litres of water per day.

But I would really recommend reading the book and also getting an app like MyFitnessPal (there are others) where you can check the nutritional content of food, plan ahead and keep a diary of how you are eating. If you can keep to less than 50g of carbs per day that can also help kick off weight loss.

Measure yourself before you start and have target garments as sometimes weight stays level whilst measurements go down

Hope that helps. Loads of advice here!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

On re-reading your original post sorry I see you did read the book. Doh. Blame small screen in iPhone and very few brain cells (that’s me not you!)

It does say in the book that pulses are fine including beans, lentils etc.

But maybe you do need MyFitnessPal or similar to check nutritional contents of food as that will give you a handle on best lower carb and therefore lower calorie options within all the allowed veg? And help you spot where the sugar is hiding?

Hope that’s a bit more helpful!

• posted by NikkiD
    on

Thanks for the info and for replying. I got confused when I was looking at the recipes on the website as a few of them have pumpkin. I just love pumpkin and thought it might be fine to have some in a salad. I also thought there may be a easy to look at list of allowed foods a bit like the glycemic Index. thanks again, cheers Nik

Please log in or register to post a reply.