I HAVE A PLAN – Week 11 starting Oct. 2

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Here we are, my lovelies, ready to embrace October, and continue on together for another week!
    I’m going to improve my fitness, and get back up to speed with brisk walking. I just used the heat
    and humidity of the summer months as an excuse to hide out in the central air conditioning, and
    found that I’ve lost some degree of fitness in the process….
    Sunny, I’m happy that you’ll be with us for one more week before you fly off to Turkey! Can
    I twist your arm yet again, and hope that you’ll check in on our “positives” thread while you’re
    away? You’re very much a part of my day 🙂
    I hope new friends will be following and posting too, and ALL new members will be joining us.
    We welcome you all. 🙂 🙂 🙂 Natalie, wendleg? And of course V. and Krysia!!!

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’m here front and centre, Allie and fear not, I’ll definitely be dropping into the forum from time to time while we’re away. I missed you while you were on your Cape break too.

Going to see where I am tomorrow morning and then I’ll decide on a plan for the week. Hope there will be lots of people doing likewise – I’m sure everyone you mentioned will be with us, Allie. And hopefully there will be some new faces joining us too.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Wonderful, Sunny! I have a smile on my face knowing you won’t be out of touch! I absolutely LOVE
    the fact that your husband assists with the care and maintenance of your full head of red hair…
    It must be beautiful. 🙂 I’ve had every shade from sable brown to auburn, and once upon a time
    my husband assisted in the process, too! When I went off to college, 75% of the student body were
    blondes…I knew I didn’t want to go in that direction, so I opted for sable brown. I used to have to
    buy 2 boxes of coloring, to coat all of my hair! Nothing like being perverse and different 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

OH said, ‘If I can spray a car, I reckon I should be able to colour your hair.’ That was a good few years ago now and he’s still being pressed into service. Like you, blonde has never interested me – much rather something more interesting!!! Love red, but have to say I’m a little tempted by purple – not been quite brave enough yet though. Toying with the idea of having some purple streaks put through underneath at the back, so it shows when I wear my hair up – might need a hairdresser to do that though.

I’m with you on the ‘being different’ front, Allie. I resisted even owning a pair of jeans until I was well into my twenties, as I refused to wear what I saw as uniform. In my teens I’d frequently be the only person at a party not wearing denim! There’s still that element to me even now I guess.

• posted by alliecat
    on

It is often said that our personalities are formed by the age of 5, Sunny. If we are rebellious, I think
    our parents are the first to know 🙂 I love who you are, your spiritual qualities, etc., and it’s becoming
    harder and harder not to see your face or know your voice 🙂 A purple swath as part of your updo
    sounds great to me. I’m going to have to rely on my imagination to picture it!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Signing in this morning. My goal for the week is to continue to heal my beta cells with low carb and IF. My ultimate goal is to move from managing diabetes to be in true remission and then to reverse diabetes. I realised today that I am no longer scared that I will have to go back on the insulin – although l haven’t got as far as disposing of the insulin stored in my fridge.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I agree Allie, I too feel connected to you and very much appreciate your generosity of spirit and the way you embrace everyone on the forum. Feel like I know you, but don’t quite know you, if that makes sense. It would be lovely to see you and actually speak in person – perhaps that’s something we can engineer at some point. Meanwhile, I’ll leave you to visualise the purple, as I’m not sure if I’m bold enough to do it yet!

Swapping across to week 11 at 0.2lb more than at the beginning of week 10, which is a little disappointing and not what I was aiming for, however, I am still 3lb below target weight and if I can hang on to that for this week, I will be content to take 3lb wriggle room to Turkey with me.

We are eating out tonight and Friday, so things are a little challenging. My approach today is to try to fast through to my meal this evening, having last eaten yesterday lunchtime. If I need to cave before then, I will limit myself to a small quantity of kefir. And I have decided no wine this evening, just soda with ice and lemon.

Plan for the week is to really stick closely with the BSD principles, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and to move around more. Enjoyed walking to meet my daughter yesterday, so might try to wedge in a few walks.

Hope others will be joining the thread for another week’s challenge and look forward to hearing how they are planning to take on week 11.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Don’t diss the blondes, I am one! Natural blonde, lightened artificially a bit now because I went a bit darker after my second pregnancy (I got waves with my first pregnancy!), and I’ve never been interested in any other colour. For some reason I’ve always identified strongly as a blonde. I think I’d look like a witch with black hair, and just weird as a ranga (that’s Aussie slang, short for orangutan). I did try purple when at university. I thought ‘temporary’ meant it would wash straight out – it took about six weeks of frequent harsh shampoo!
    My dad’s mum had the traditional grey perm, but my mum and her mum had dark hair with only a few grey hairs as they got older, so I don’t expect to ever go grey (or blue).

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning folks!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

No slight intended to your natural blonde, Natalie! Natural blondes are certainly best sticking with their natural colour as going darker can be much too harsh on their complexion. It’s just as someone with naturally non-descript brown hair, I always fancied something a bit more dramatic – hence the red. Funny you should mention temporary hair colour. I actually bought some purple ‘hair make-up’ while I was out this morning and I have a suspicion that might not be as temporary as it purports to be. Planning to get OH to recolour my hair later this week and then put just a few sneaky little touches of purple in, to see how it takes, before making a more definite commitment.

Have a good week 11 Natalie and hopefully you’ll soon have shaken off your cold and be back to dropping a few pounds.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Delightful post, Natalie! I would never diss the blondes 🙂 I’m sure you are gorgeous! I think Sunny
    and I are true rangas, however…It seems to coincide with the feisty side of our personalities, and
    certainly my skin tone, which is pale and given to outrageous freckling when I spend any time in
    the sun! (thanks, Dad!) I’m more than a little acquainted with “sun poisoning” during holidays
    in tropical locales. I’m glad that you’re feeling a little better! My hair isn’t literally blue, Nat! Just
    brighter and more reflective of the light. I did laugh at your purple passion coloring experiment
    at university! Glad to see you onboard for another week 🙂

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Sunny, I think the allure of purple is calling to you! I hope that we can set up a skype session
    when you return. I’ve been twice invited to do so on this forum, and it does fill in the blanks. 🙂 I
    know exactly what you mean by knowing someone, but not quite! I’ll be looking forward to it!!
    I hope your suitcases are filling up, and that you find additional room in them now that your clothing
    takes up much less space. More room for outrageous footwear! Esnecca would be very approving
    of that 🙂

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi all! When I was in Japan I noticed that LOTS of older women had brilliant streaks of color in their hair — some of them were just rainbow-hued and it was very festive and fun. I told my OH that when I became totally white (I am a natural blond) and “old” (haven’t decided when I will be there yet!!) I would go with bright colors, one or many, so that’s my plan for when staying blond just isn’t working any more!
    Of course, staying “blond” is requiring more and more trips to the hairdresser because I am actually almost all white underneath already. Thanks Mom! I would have preferred inheriting your artistic skills!

• posted by EclecticRajistani
    on

Hi everyone,
    If I may join the hair convo a little I have very dark brown hair and at uni I had it short with blonde tips so anything goes I say 😂 as long as you have the swagger to back it! Love the sound of a purple streaks in an updo and totally get the uniform issue not necessarily with jeans but it seems to be a conformist thing to do.

Wow amazing that so many of you are healthy weights or not far off from target weight. As I go into week 4 I have less of a cold but second day at the gym and urgh hard work. I’ve lost a pound so far ( only made it to the gym once last week my big losses definitely came with BSD plus 3 times at the gym) but mid week weighing hopefully pushing for one more. It’s happened Allie the weight loss has slowed down right down I’m so greedy I just one to lose more quickly! But will keep going, finding it all a bit uphill now. Just under 4 stone to go. Have half stones as my mini goals. But you ladies are proof that its possible! What tweaks or plateaus did you reach in the early days? And how did you manage them?

Heres to hair cuts, weight loss, maintenance, trips and good times xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

I think I love this idea, Julia!!! Never mind the BSD secret handshake…We’ll recognize each other by
    a prominent streak or streaks in our hair. What a delightful concept 🙂 I think I’m down for orchid
    pink! Thank you for joining in the fun today 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Eclectic – unfortunately weight loss is not linear and there will be peaks and troughs, stalls, plateaux and even inexplicable gains, but don’t lose sight of the big picture. As long as overall you are getting progressively lighter, it’s all good. If you hit a patch where nothing seems to be happening, it’s worth reviewing what you’re doing, as it’s easy for complacency can sneak in and it might be you’re not quite as disciplined about weighing, measuring and recorded EVERTHING consumed, or perhaps hydration is slipping, or carbs have been creeping up and you haven’t noticed. But if you’re still losing, don’t panic.

It’s a great idea to have mini-goals, but don’t forget to look for the non-scales victories along the way too – a clothing size dropped, an inch off the waist (or anywhere actually), glossier hair or clearer skin, etc. These are all worth celebrating as well, so look out for them. Remember, sometimes when the pounds aren’t dropping as readily, the inches will be reducing, so be sure to measure yourself.

Orchid pink sounds like a great colour for those streaks, Allie! And I agree, streaks – way better than a handshake!

on

Loving the Japanese way CaliforniaGirl. I have always said that when I get more greys I will be embracing streaks in my hair. I saw a beautiful ahem wiser than me and she looked fab. Cork screw blondey grey hair with bright pink streaks. Very fab!

Sunny B thank you for widening my BSD perspective. I have dropped a dress size , a couple of inches around the waist and hubby says my skin is glowing. So I will take on your points for sure. As focusing just on the scale will not help. I’m still dropping but slowly now as Allie predicted. Appreciate it’s all part of the journey.
    Xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sorry I’m a bit late to the party today but I’ve been at the hairdresser!!!! I’m a natural brunette although I’m not as dark now as I was. I have some highlights and low lights so my hair still looks pretty healthy despite having my roots done every 5 to 6 weeks. I guess, actually, I don’t really have any of my own real colour left! Anyway, perms and blue rinses are definitely not on my agenda.
    Last week was yet another standstill week. So my choices are to destroy or nurture my body. Think I know the answer! A promise to myself: to get properly back on track this week. Only one social event, lunch out on Sunday, but a very BSD friendly menu, so no excuse there. Hope this is a good week for everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Found you ! Thanks for the thread Allie !
    Where do I start ? I have very thick chestnuty brown hair dyed to look a bit redder after years of henna abuse in the eighties.Fortunately my hair is so coarse it could withstand the adjustment to hair dye when I finally gave up the henna because my grey was turning bright orange 😉

I am not brave enough to embrace the grey although it does look fab on lots of women

I even have to get my hairdresser to tint my eyebrows as they are virtually non existent after yet more abuse in the eighties !! Not for me the lush caterpillar eyebrows my gorgeous nièces boast !

I had a very slight loss at the end of Week 4 but I have read your comments very carefully SunnyB. I think even on OMAD I tend to guesstimate certain calories. Need to be a bit more precise but I always hated Maths. Tonight I weighed everything. A simple meal of roast chicken, steamed cauliflower, courgettes and mushrooms in a bit of butter and my beloved Greek yoghurt and chia jam.

My cough is getting better but I can have coughing fits in my classroom which is not a good look and a bit alarming for the kids.. I have always got water and tea with me.

Eclectic ..keep going and don’ t get discouraged. You are doing great ! Sounds like we are both hitting a plateau. I am just a Week ahead of you. I am determined to keep going and let things take their course. We will start losing more soon.

I do need to move more though…Walking in the open air rather than up and down stairs indoors. I definitely feel less energy after several months of inactivity.

Did you do lots of exercise during your fantastic weight loss Allie ? It’ s obviously become important for you on maintenance

Sending you all loads of support for this Week xx.

• posted by alliecat
    on

This is great! We’re all traveling along for another week, together. 🙂 We can do the work of the BSD,
    but have some fun along the way. Alternatively, this is the hair care forum, which provides me with
    extra clues to you all. I hate not being able to see you!
    Eclectic and wendleg, fits and starts are all part of the journey, and “plateaus” don’t even qualify as
    “plateaus” until they have gone on for 2 weeks. I did have one colossal one that lasted for 18 days
    about 2 months in, but I finally broke it by dropping the carbs to <20 and upping my hydration from
    2 to 3 liters a day. After that, it was a reliable weight loss of .5lb a day straight through to the finish,
    as long as I kept wine out of the picture. Wendleg, on the subject of exercise…I was so disabled
    by chronic pain at the time I began the BSD, that I couldn’t even stand for more than 10 minutes at
    a time. I wasn’t able to do even simple walking. At the beginning of month 10 I started walking 5-10
    miles per day, and it had NO effect on the weight loss at all! How crazy is that? Obviously exercise
    is great for the heart and lungs, but for me it made no difference in the speed at which I lost weight.
    Now that it is finally getting into cooler temps. here, I’m starting to get back to it for general fitness
    purposes. When I was out at the beach recently, I realized when walking on the sand that a summer
    of sloth had cost me some strength, so I’m trying to correct that before the snow starts to fly, and
    I’m once more marooned indoors 🙂
    Your henna tales made me laugh, wendleg! I did that too, in the late 70’s 🙂
    V., I know that you’ve been struggling for awhile. I hope this is a good week for you. I know that
    you know exactly what to do, so need of any advice from me. I do worry about your Hba1c though,
    as it relates to the biscuits 🙂 We’ve all got our nemesis though, and I believe in you xxx

on

Hi Wendleg,

Hope your cough feels better soon. Schools are such germ factories I start back in a few weeks and not looking forward to that bit. Im enjoying some writing time, gym work and running around my own three children
    I hope the children at the school are sympathetic. And rest when you can. At least your getting the steps in! Exercise and changing how I eat is the key for me. Everyone’s different my best friend does little exercise but gets healthy through changing eating habits. As Allie said we haven’t hit plateaus… Yet! Keeping low carb low calories is working so far. Chia jam sounds delicious. Yes let’s do this! We can do it!!! I’m just behind you! (By a week 🤦🏾‍♀️)

Allie thank for all the info, all of you it’s helping so much. I think Mr Mosely needs to give you ladies a slice of the profits. BSD ambassadors! I honestly would have given up by now. A month in and I feel inspired and motivated. So intrigued as to what you look like now especially after this hair chat. You really are a cool bunch of women 💁😘
    Goodnight xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

You are so very right, Eclectic! Being part of an active group makes ALL the difference, regardless
    of where we are on this journey. At first glance, this forum is a support group for the BSD. It goes
    far beyond that however, and has turned into a support group for living itself. Very happy to have you
    with us 🙂

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    Finally back on track, so I want to rejoin. It’s been pointless before as I kept self sabotaging but something has clicked in the brain.! I have stopped thinking of this as a diet and now it’s healthy eating (I know it’s WOE but I can be very slow!!) so over the last three days I have been having tasty food. Breakfast Greek yoghurt and berries, lunch is advacado humous quinoa beetroot and either egg or tuna or chicken.
    The amazing thing is I am full till supper. Before I was coming home ravenous and raiding the fridge. A cheese slice may only be 80 calories but if you eat 10 then it’s irrevelent!
    The wine monster is sleeping too. It’s not entirely alcohol free as I am having a couple of gin and tonics. I have discovered Gordon’s pink gin and I love it! I like my G&ts so weak they can barely crawl out of the glass
    Anyway early days but 2lbs off since Sunday
    MM xxxxx

• posted by Madmare
    on

I am flirting with the supposedly washout pink hair colourant, not the fuschia pink but the pastel one. What’s holding me back is the fear it may not be as temporary as it claims!
    MM

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi madmare! It’s always good to hear from you! Two pounds have fled since sunday…I think you are going to
    have an excellent week 🙂 DO tell us how the pastel colorant works out…I’m curious!!! You could be the host of a new
    trend… Have a good week,

Allie

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Ready to embrace Oct sounds great to me as does this thread. I love a good thread that feeds the soul and quietly encourages one to stay focused. I am looking to reevaluate my diet this October and establish better eating habits. It has been a year since I did the BSD. I feel I have learnt a lot but need to discover a ‘what works for me’ lifestyle plan that encapsulates everything I have learnt here and stablizers my BSLs. I am always open to suggestions and love hearing what works for others. Keep up the good work everyone. I have a feeling Oct is going to be a great month! 😀

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Guys
    MadMare – I’ve thought about putting a wash out purple on my hair for Christmas! It would only last a week as I wash my hair every day.
    Let us know how it turns out! 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to see you back MM and in such a positive state of mind. Hope your week is a successful one – the 2lb is certainly a great start for that. Give the pastel pink a little try on a piece of hair that won’t notice too much and see how it goes. Keep on keeping on MM!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Purple sounds very “royal” Kazz! Now that you’ve put the idea “out there”, you know that I’ll be nudging you
    from behind to turn it into a reality 🙂

PANDA BEAR!!! We haven’t seen you in awhile, so I’m very happy that you have rejoined us! I think Oct will
    be a great month too, and I usually start a new weekly thread each tuesday, so I’m looking forward to
    traveling this road with you. The challenges are wonderful, because the group always consists of new
    and experienced BSDers, which makes for lively discussion, the exchange of knowledge and experience,
    and lots of laughter along the way. Welcome home!

Allie

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    It’s great to be back! Though I have been absent from logging I have been reading your posts and there have been a couple of them that have really got me intrigued.
    KazzUK ( I am a Kazz too) you mentioned that your psoriasis gets worse when you eat bread. My other half has psoriasis and it has flared up really badly recently. He is addicted to carbs and the state of his skin is making him really depressed and being male this expresses itself as being horrible to live with.
    Is it the wheat or the gluten? Or is it bot? Unfortunately his specialist has told him that there is no link between diet and psoriasis but then medics are still giving out advice to diabetics to eat carbs.
    Any advice would be gratefully received. He really does not want to take methotrexate so may be ready to listen to other methods. Seawater and sunshine work miracles but due to both our parents being ill we have not had as much holiday as we intended.
    MM

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi Allicat
    Thank you for your kind words.
    Reading an earlier post of yours on another forum you said you had loads of skin tags but they have dried up and fallen off. I hadn’t really thought before but that has slowly happened to me too!
    The wonders of this WOE
    Mm

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to see you Pandabear! This is a great place to formulate eating plans for the future, discuss possibilities etc., so great to have you aboard.

Wow – completely purple is very bold Kazz! Brave than me I think.

Completed a 30hr fast yesterday, which I was quite pleased about, although I was surprised how little difference that made on the scales this morning. Still, have to say it wasn’t a struggle and I felt fine all day, so might give it another whirl again soon.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Sunny! A thirty hour fast must make you feel so powerful, and completely in control. Well done 🙂
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the scales will respond accordingly in the next few days. They have to!!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’ll pass that message along to my scales and hope they obey you, Allie!

on

SunnyB, thirty hours of fasting is excellent! Even if you don’t see results on the scale immediately, I am finding that the results show up within a week or two. Sort of delayed reaction but it will definitely work.
    I’ve been able to get to 24 hours of fasting pretty regularly now (I try to do once a week) and I remember how HARD it was to get there!! I used to go 15,16,then 18 or 19 hours and just lose it, but over time I got better and better at it and now 24 hours seems super easy. I’m reminding myself of this as I push on to 30 hours which I think I would like to incorporate maybe once a month or so.
    I have an interesting observation about longer fasts — I’m wondering if any one else has experienced this — around hour 20 or so, I become very very calm, and I develop an unworried response to everything, sort of like anti-anxiety response. It gets stronger the longer I fast — it’s really interesting and I wonder what is going on physiologically that my body/brain is responding to.
    Any one have any thoughts? It’s a very useful response, could be great for calming myself in an emergency or high-anxiety moment.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Interesting about the feelings of calm and the unworried response. Can’t say I have been aware of this myself, but it is something I’ll be watching out for on future fasts. No idea what the physiology might be, but I do recall Esnecca mentioning something similar in the past. Have to say once I got past the 24hr mark, the rest didn’t feel like a problem and I think I might have been able to push on a little further – that is if I wasn’t sitting in a pub with food smells wafting about!

• posted by alliecat
    on

This is so interesting, Julia! I absolutely do remember Esnecca posting the same, Sunny. I think it was at
    about 40hrs in, if my memory is as reliable as I think it is. She used the term “euphoria” at the time, which had
    great appeal when I read it! I still haven’t gotten beyond 22 hrs yet, however 🙂

on

Oh that is interesting — “euphoria” is possibly a good description although I don’t feel “high” just super relaxed and weirdly free of any anxiety. I wonder if it doesn’t continue to develop the longer you go on — I will have to try to go past 24 hours and see.
    I think it could possibly have to do with ketone production — I remember reading that ketones can be used for depression treatment — I’m not depressed but I wonder if it doesn’t have similar effects on mood?
    Will go read up on it!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I wonder if the fasting ‘euphoria’ kicks in earlier for those less used to fasting – if I remember, Esnecca was a seasoned faster and would do many days in a row. Broke fast early today at 15hr (normally go 16>18 overnight) as I thought it might be good to mix things up a bit. Keep plugging away Allie and I’m sure you’ll get beyond 22hrs soon. I kind of thought I’d crack before I got to the 30hr mark, but it actually wasn’t as taxing as I feared it might be.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good afternoon/evening. Well today for the first time in an age I weighed and logged my consumption. WOW! My guesstimates are so way out it’s untrue. So now knowing what I really am consuming it’s decision time. Lots of heart searching going on here!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

All I can say is, you absolutely know you can do the V and that we all have your back and will do what we can to offer support, so if you’re going to go with getting right back to basics, we’ll be standing shoulder to shoulder with you.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Absolutely, V.! We will be the wind beneath your wings whenever you need us to be 🙂 Your grace and continuing
    support in this community is well known to us all. You can do this, we know you can! xoxo

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello lovely people
    I would so miss not checking in and reading all the posts .I love this thread. So much gentle kindness and warmth.

Interesting about the fasting discussion. I do a daily 24 hour fast and have done so from early on but I can’t say I have felt the relaxed, anxiety free sensations Californiagirl ( Julia ? ) describes. I have in mind to do a longer fast on return from our trip to Spain and I will let you know how I get on ( will be away from 24th to 31st October) Fasting does intrigue me. I read Jason Fung’s book ‘ The complete guide to fasting’ and he discusses extended fasts. I find it easier than having very low cal meals throughout the day.

I keep hearing mention of Esnecca . Where are you Esnecca ? We need you !

I think in the past I was afraid of experiencing hunger and just chomped all day. It’s quite liberating to regain control and be able to have a break from feeding. I choose to eat now when I feel hungry and appreciate what I eat. That’s a first for me ! In the past I would eat and eat without ever being really hungry.

I am still wondering about ‘ketosis’. I don’t know if my 24 hour fast automatically induces the state of ketosis or whether it dépends on the level of carbs I have previously eaten ? I am not always under 20g as advised.
    I am so grateful for all the advice generously offered on here.Thanks so much Allie ! Hopefully Eclectic and I haven’t really hit plateaus yet. Keep going Eclectic ! Chia jam is just frozen berries with a little water with added chia seeds to make a jam like seedy compote which I don’t find sharp at all now. Losing my sweet tooth I hope ! It’s delicious with Greek yoghurt
    Wishing all returners and regulars lots of friendly support and happy hair days !

• posted by SunnyB
    on

If I remember rightly, Esnecca was moving house awhile back and I think it was around then she stopped posting. Hopefully, that’s not a permanent situation and she might return to us soon.

I think on extended fasts – like a couple of days – you automatically drop into ketosis, but I think for shorter ones, it depends what the carb content was of what has been eaten before. That has certainly been my experience. I’m going on what happened recently when I was ill and couldn’t eat for three days and what has happened on my shorter planned fasts. I use ketosticks daily as a matter of routine, so have a good picture of what’s going on with me keto wise.

• posted by wendleg
    on

What are keto sticks SunnyB ??

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi wendleg, they are plastic strips with a little square of reactive reagent paper on one end, which is sensitive to ketones in urine. I buy mine on Amazon.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m so sorry, wendleg! Esnecca was another American poster here, we discovered that we both lived in Connecticut,
    and our stories very closely paralleled each other. She lost over 200lbs on the BSD, born of a health condition,
    quite similar to me. She helped to put steel in our spines, and her famous phrase was “not one step backward”!
    She stopped posting last March, but was well known to the community of regulars here. She has a brilliant mind
    and gave much to the community. We all look forward to her stopping by one of these days! Just a thumbnail,
    and I didn’t mean to confuse you 🙂 I’m genuinely sorry!

Allie

• posted by wendleg
    on

Esnecca sounds like another BSD legend !

You are so inspiring having beaten incredible life challenges xx

No worries Allie ! I”m not confused 😉

Thanks SunnyB. Off to check out keto strips xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi, I am interested in the fasting issue as well. – I have come to the conclusion that having lost the weight I put on following my broken ankle and returned to the weight I traditionally have been as an adult I have reached a set point. – The suggestion from a number of sources is to change that I need to include fasting.
    I have been reading about the weekly program that Dr Fung recommends of 3 x 36, or 3 x 42. I did one week of 3 x 32 ish which was ok. – The weight I dropped came straight back again. Over the weekend. – However, going for longer fasts was really tough. – My brain was just not in gear. I must have wasted an hour a day wandering around looking for things I had used early that day and I couldn’t remember where I put them down. It was a little scary because I didn’t feel like myself, normally I can walk straight to a tool I last used months ago (as long as no one else has borrowed it in the meantime). After loosing this amount of weight I would have thought I would be fat adapted and able to switch fuel sources easily, but obviously not. – I have found fasting but adding coffee with cream as an option works better, I don’t get the brain fog.
    I decided this last week to not fast while I was full of cold but I will return to fasting again next week.

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Morning everyone! It is 10:30 here in Tasmania and the day is promising to be a quiet one, thank goodness. I have learnt a few things this past 2 yrs that are certainly true in my case:
    1. I personally react to breads and flours far more radically than sugar. My BSL will triple after one piece of bread but be almost stable after 2 chocolate biscuits.
    2. The BSD definitely works. After my initial 8-weeks my BSL was 5.4!
    3. If I eat within an 8 hour window (that means I am fasting every day for about 4-5 ‘awake’ hours) I automatically lose weight regardless of what I have eaten :O 😉 as long as I haven’t over done the calories of course.

So my plan is to eat within an 8-hour window foods in line with BSD and limit calories to sustain weight loss. Just not sure what that calorie count should be. That may take some experimenting.

My sugar level is on average 10 now compared to 13 a year ago so I am on the right track I just need to take the next step and fine tune a little more. I have this idea that there should be a personal calorie intake level that would sustain my weight once I have reached my ideal weight. Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated. 🙂 I personally don’t think I need any where near the 8000+ that is recommended.

My plan for today is to just get a few breakfast ideas front and foremost. What’s your favorite breakfast? 🙂 I often fast in the mornings but then don’t eat a good breakfast which I know sets me up to eat the wrong things about 2 hours down the track.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome Allie and Sunny. 🙂 It’s good to be in touch again. It really helps my focus. Looking forward to future posts. 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.