How's it going eh? Hello from Canada!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Hello all!

I have been reading (most of) your forum posts and must say that I am inspired by your stories, struggles, and triumphs! I am also looking forward to joining your ranks starting tomorrow (Monday).

I am a Type 2 Diabetic, and I have my GP on board.

What we’ve decided to do is do the shake/meal replacement plus veggies option for at least the first week so we can see how my sugars react. This will also give me a good opportunity to set a meal plan for the following week. I also have major food allergies (nuts, most raw fruit & veg) that I will have to take into consideration so easing into it is the best option.

Has anyone else started off using the shakes/meal replacements? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Deb,
    Welcome on board. I started with Shakes for 10 days. I was not doing it through a doctor and bought the ones I could get in Boots the Chemist in the UK. The first week although I lost weight, but not as much as others were and nothing off of my waist. I used it for 2 meal replacements a day and had a veggie meal (stir-fry or soup) in the evening. It made it easy to adjust to the 800 cals and I was sure I was not eating too much.
    What I had not noticed was that the replacement meal shakes were quite high in carbs – which was why the no change in waist measurements. The following week I found one with higher protein content and lower carbs, oat based and carried on for a few days. I then dropped to one replacement meal (breakfast), soup for lunch and a cooked meal in the evening. By the third week I was cooking everything and ditched the replacement meals.
    It was a good way to start – simple and avoids temptations of adding to the plate. Do have a good look at the nutrition breakdown of the Shakes and ensure they are no high carb as that will not hep you.
    Good luck.

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Hi CallMeDeb, welcome! I’m doing the real food version but I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with the shakes – please share your experience with us!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi callmedeb, welcome to the forums ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s wonderful that you have your dr on board ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Patsy
    on

Hi, Deb.

I can see your allergies are going to make your meal planning a bit more tricky!

Are you OK with eggs? I was surprised how low calorie scrambled eggs and omelettes are and they make a satisfying meal – much more so than a bowl of cereal. Scrambled eggs done in the microwave are probably as easy as mixing up a shake.

Don’t forget to drink plenty, even though with the shakes you might not feel like you’d need to.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Patsy totally agree about scambled eggs done in the microwave, easy and filling ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Orchid,
    We used to have Boots! In the 80’s, lol. The plan is to use the commercially available shakes so I will keep my eyes open for the low-carb/high-protein ones. Thanks for the tip!

jpscloud,
    Thanks-will do!

hashimoto,
    Thanks! I’m very lucky that my doc is open to a lot of things, if I bring him the research, lol.

Patsy,
    Eggs are a go! Thank Goddess ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป The allergy is to a pretty specific protein that, thankfully, breaks down with cooking. So cooked veg is fine.

All, I appreciate your kindness.

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Deb,
    I was thinking about this when I went to bed and remembered that initially I started with 3 replacement meals a day – one I used at suppertime (8-9pm). The evening meal I had either stir-fry or home made veg soup.
    I suspect the protein one I found is available in N America so you may find it – Oatwell. it is Oats based which attracted me as Michael has done another article about the benefits of oats and barley.
    I used the chocolate one – I find most artificial flavourings horrible, and chocolate the least bad! The powder is 43 cals and 2g carbs. The rest you make up with milk. They recommend 150-200 ml milk. By the time I was using it, I was adding in real food and changing over to cooking everything from scratch. I found the 150ml to be the most palatable.
    If I was doing it again I would make one change. I used skimmed milk with it. It took me 3-4 weeks to accept that full fat was ok. I would recommend you start with full fat milk as it is almost your 200 cals for a meal.
    Oatwell plus 200 ml skimmed milk – 115 cals; 11g carbs.
    Oatwell plus 200 ml semi-sk milk – 135 cals; 11g carbs.
    Oatwell plus 200 ml full fat milk – 177 cals; 11 carbs.
    As you see the carbs don’t increase, but how full you feel will increase enormously with the full fat milk. Three meal replacements would be around 531 cals; 33g carbs allowing 20-30 cals per meal replacement for ‘snacks’ a few almonds, cherry tomatoes are good as they are like sweets! The fourth meal is then up to you for lots of veg.
    Try the maths with the milks on which ever ‘Shake’ you decide on and have fun!

• posted by Patsy
    on

Deb, stir fries are good, when you get on to real food. I fry a little lean meat with a splash of olive oil and flavourings such as ginger, chillies, garlic and lemon grass until the meat is just done (I’m sure bean curd or other veggie options would work too) and then add loads of veg, especially beansprouts. By changing the meat, spices and veg you can vary the flavour a lot.

My husband has been eating this too and didn’t realise I’d left out rice and noodles until I told him.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Orchid – I really appreciate the thought you’ve put into this! Unfortunately Oatwell doesn’t seem to be available in Canadaโ˜น๏ธ But I have my sister (who is my exact opposite, she’s a body builder) on the lookout for samples for me to try.

The problem I tend to run into with protein based powder shakes is my pesky allergies. I’ve yet to find one that doesn’t cause at least a mild reaction. Right now I’m afraid that I am stuck with the pre-made ones (that are high in carbs).

That is why I’m hoping to get onto the “real” food asap!

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Patsy – great idea! I can probably cook them ahead and warm up, so I can eat them at work. Both soups and stirfry. I also like the look of the chickpea chilli in the recepies.

I also really love the idea of changing up the spices. Right now I really don’t use a lot (except salt and pepper), but look forward to experimenting.

What a wonderful place this is ๐Ÿ˜„

Cheers, Deb

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

So day one… Was hell. I ended up supplementing some cheddar and sunflower seeds in about 2 pm.

So I went over a bit, but not too badly. Especially since my usual would be to reach for chips/chocolate.

So today is a new day. I remember reading somewhere that every second tick on the clock is a chance to start over. I am going to take that to heart and carry forward!

Three Goals for Today:
    1. Stick to the plan Stan!
    2. Go for a walk at lunch.
    3. Give someone a sincere compliment.

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi deb, what lovely goals ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Deb, good goals – but allow some carbs/calories for the ‘snacks’.
    I remember hearing that sunflower seeds were a good ‘antidote’ to chocolate cravings. I can recollect searching them out to have at the office. Certainly seeds like linseed, pumpkin and sunflower in a small box in your bag are a useful thing to have and eat, it gives you enough time to convince yourself that you don’t need the chocolate!
    Spicy foods are definitely a plus – the mouth remembers the taste for a while after and that helps with the full feeling.
    I hope today is a bit easier – it does get a lot easier over the week!

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ”ช๐Ÿ”ช๐Ÿ”ช

So I haven’t killed anyone yet, that’s good right? It’s the carb/sugar withdrawal that’s making me cranky, lol. Luckily I’ve been through this before and I know that this too shall pass in about a day. But Geeze Louise!

To distract myself I have made a list of goals and rewards:

GOALS
    1. Stabilize Blood Sugar.
    2. Improve Overall Fitness.
    3. Lose Belly Fat and Detox Liver/Pancreas.
    4. Feel and Look Amazing for Upcoming Weddings.

REWARDS
    Lose 5 lbs = New Lunch Containers
    Lose 10 lbs = Massage
    Lose 15 lbs = New Runners
    Lose 20 lbs = Pedicure
    Lose 25 lbs = New Purse
    Stick to the diet for the full 8 weeks = FIT BIT!!!!!

Orchid – it’s been easier today as I have taken your advice and budgeted for snacking. Much appreciated!

10 minutes to shake #2, not that I’m counting ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by orchid
    on

I love the rewards part – good thinking! I promise it gets easier…. especially once you start cooking real food again. At least you have a couple of weeks to plan and if you can, cook up things like soup into individual portions and freeze. It really does help to have a backlog of good food in the freezer. I label everything with what it is and also the calories in it – how sad is that! I am also considering a spreadsheet of what I have cooked that is in the freezer so I can see what is available and help with the planning. Might be a step to far in organising!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Debs
    Like the rewards scheme, very well thought out! I treated myself to a pretty little orchid when I got to 10lb lost, as they are my weakness – other than whisky and dark chocolate of course.
    Have look at the Non Scales Victories thread and post yours as you achieve your goals.
    Loom forward to hearing all about your progress.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Debs love your rewards ideas. Brilliant ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Patsy
    on

Not killing people is good – following the diet would be even harder in prison!

The rewards idea is a good plan. I’m used to thinking of food or drink when it comes to having a treat. Focussing on something different makes a lot of sense.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

I feel better after my shake (and a spoonful of sunflower seeds), so no prison today ๐Ÿ˜„ The 3 pots of tea have helped too.

I am glad you all like my reward scheme. I know what motivates me, lol. I REALLY need new lunch containers. I hadn’t thought of flowers… We won’t be ready for planting anything for another month or so here in the Great White (mostly brown right now) North tm, so I may have to revise list a bit.

I’m about to head home for the evening. Have a great night all!

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Beginning of Day three and I’ve had it with the shakes. The drinkable ones…

They just don’t fill me up! So what I’ve done today is replaced my AM shake with 2 eggs and 125ml of 2% Cottage Cheese. I flavoured the eggs with Herbs de Provence and a little Tabasco. I am lucky that a few months ago I purchased a Egg-Tastic Egg cooker for work. I used it for the first time today and it cooked 2 eggs in the microwave perfectly in under a minute (45 sec actually).

It was delicious and I’m hoping it will keep me full longer.

I also splurged and bought a new loose leaf herbal tea called “Mother’s Little Helper” – from the package…

“Need to relax? One sip of this blend is like a day at the spa. Herbal Infusion – Organic – Caffeine-free
    Ingredients: Peppermint, Lemongrass, hibiscus, rosehips, chamomile, valerian root, and cornflowers.”

It smells divine. Time to go brew a pot.

Make today a great day!

Three Goals:
    1. Clean out “emergency” carbs from desk and give to another department.
    2. Don’t ask for them back later.
    3. Log all food, even if it’s zeros across the board.

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi there,
    Liking your goals, especially number 2.

I assume the 2% cottage cheese is 2% fat is it? If so, you can go for full fat cheeses on this programme, they will help add to your feeling of fullness.

Well done for working out plan b, I think you will prefer it in the long run.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Hi Janet – The Grocery downstairs from work didn’t have any higher fat Cottage Cheese, so I’m going to have to make due until I can shop at the bigger store near home on the weekend. I’m looking forward to finding full fat Greek Yogurt too!

The plan is to phase out the shakes completely, I think that will be happening sooner, rather than later, lol.

Cheers!

Deb

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Fair enough! Keep up the good work!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Callmedeb – deb look for Fage greek yoghurt – the full not the 0%. There are only the two sorts. Thick, creamy and delicious. Genuine Greek yoghurt not ‘greek style’ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Hashimoto – I will look for it, but I don’t know if it’s available in Canada. I know it’s available in the US, but I’m not really up for a run to the border with our dollar the way it is, lol.

Question about Full Fat though.is it the 2% or should I be looking for higher?

Thanks!

Deb

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Definitely higher! If I’m understanding it right, 2% means only 2% fat. So where is the other 98%? We want 100% please! Maybe I’m missing something though?

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

I will see what I can find tonight and report back!

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

My local (Fortino’s) didn’t have any real full fat, so I had to make due with a 4% Cottage Cheese and a Balkin Style Yogurt that only had 4g of carbs per serving.

I think I am going to have to visit the other grocery stores in my city, or I will have to breakdown and visit Whole Foods in the town over from me.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

So yesterday, day 3…

I was fine for the first half of the day, but then the headache hit around 1pm and nothing except falling asleep could stop it. I looked at my food log for the day and found the problem (aside from it being Day 3). I had only eaten 15g of carbs! I will do better today! Head is fine this morning, so fingers crossed!

Had a major victory yesterday. I had to go to the bank, so I walked on the underground path (I work in Toronto, the PATH connects most of the buildings in the downtown core, in a kind of underground mall. So we don’t have to walk outside in the winter). Anyway. All throughout are food courts, chocolate stores, bakeries (there may be other stores but, yesterday, I didn’t notice). The voices in my head started trying to justify having, a chocolate truffle, McDonald’s, a cream Napoleon… I told them to shut it, and kept walking until I was safely above ground again. I am really proud of myself.

Tested my Ketones this morning and I was in the medium range, so I am excited about that.

QUESTION: when does everyone test their blood sugar? I do fasting and right before bed, but was wondering if I should test mid-day as well…

My readings have been close to normal since starting btw ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

GOALS TODAY:
    1. Eat more good carbs!
    2. Go for a walk at lunch.
    3. Plan meals for next week and do shopping list.

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Deb
    into ketosis on day 3 ? no wonder you’re proud of yourself ๐Ÿ˜€
    I test my sugar levels as soon as I wake and then again just before dinner (1800 – 1900 depending)
    If I’m on track of something, ie a spurious reading somewhere, I may test as often as 4 times a day to try and pinpoint where the trouble is.
    Headaches will go soon then you’ll be feeling great.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Thanks Bill! I did a low carb diet back in the 80’s and found that I went into ketosis very quickly. I figured it would take a lot longer now, but we’ll see if we can keep it up! Tested again this morning and am still in the medium range.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Friday Funday! Also it’s Day 5 ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m still a bit head-achy, but I am not hungry – so that’s a win =)

I am waiting until Sunday to weigh myself. I find if I do it every day I get too caught up in the numbers. Fingers crossed for a good result!

Have a great weekend everyone! They’re forecasting snow for us! Today is 12C though, lol

I love Spring – I really do.

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi deb, enjoy the snow!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Happy Saturday!

Just finished making a batch of my Easy Chili (recepie added to the site) so that I have lunch for tomorrow and for the rest of the week.

It’s been sunny, then blizzard, then sunny, then blizzard… All day. Currently snowing, but nothing is sticking to the ground thank gods.

I had a dream last night that I was out with friends at a local fast food place and was being soooo good, until I ordered large fries. The order that came was the size of a cafeteria tray, piled high. I ate two of them and then threw the rest away. I’ve felt guilty about the two I ate in my dream all day. Isn’t our brain fun? I should be impressed that dream me threw the fries out!

Tonight will be a test. I am actually going out with my girlfriends for dinner. I have already planned my meal, and the few who know what I’m doing have promised to keep me on track if I look like I’m about to stray.

Hope everyone has a great evening! It’s weigh in day tomorrow!

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi deb, your weather sounds as good as mine! Stay strong tonight, your dream was obviously that little angel on your shoulder!

Enjoy your evening witb your friends ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Thanks hashimoto!

I wish I could post a picture, the snow is sticking now. It looks like a wonderland! So pretty!

Roads should stay fine though. Fingers crossed!

I’m definitely rooting for the angel, there will be fries (on other people’s plates) tonight, lol.

Deb

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Hello Sunday!

It’s -12C, so I am staying indoors and cleaning the house to get my heart rate up.

Weighed in this morning…

Drum roll…

Down 4.4 lbs and 1″ gone from my midsection

Can I get a Whoot Whoot?

The only thing I’m disappointed with is not reaching my 5lb reward. I really need new lunch containers. Lol.

Dinner last night was easy. Even with half the table having my favourite coconut cream pie for dessert. I chewed ice instead ๐Ÿ˜‰

Make today a great day

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by hashimoto
    on

A loud whoot whoot from England to Canada!!!

How virtuous to not eat that Pie!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi CallMeDeb
    Belated welcome. Been off piste for a while. Congrats on your first week , excellent considering your dietary restrictions!
    Optifast by Nestle was the original shake used in Prof Roy Taylor’s type 2 diabetic reversal trial. Know you’ve moved on now though

I posted Answers & Info topic in Fast 800 forum on 22.1.16. You might find some help there. The new revised edition of Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl is out now. Go to http://www.phlaunt.com for excellent advice about why & when to test blood sugars before & after meals. Also the healthy range we should try & aim for to avoid damage to our organs etc. It’s lower than the UK tell us ( if they tell us at all)

My 8 weeks up today! I’ll total the figures later.

Turn the fire up, I’ll be walking the PATH by the Sheraton Centre, Queens St, in June. Can’t wait
    Eureka

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi eureka, welcome to the veterans club!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Patsy
    on

A whoot whoot from me, too.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hey Eureka welcome back ๐Ÿ™‚ You were one of the first to welcome me when I joined, I thought you would be way past the 8 week mark.
    CallMeDeb, another transatlantic Whoot Whoot from me (new food containers next week ? or are you going to reward yourself anyway, why not ?)

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

A late hello from me today. I’m working from home as it took my father (he lives with me) and I two hours to dig out my car and driveway (and my neighbour’s). We got over 20cm of snow last night/this morning.

-14C with the windchill, but the shoveling gave me quite a work-out as the snow was quite heavy, everything was toasty warm except for my fingers, lol.

Sun is now out, the world is sparkling white, and I have accomplished more work today then I usually do at the office!

Thank you all for the Whoots ๐Ÿ˜‰ I know I’ve said it before, but it cannot be said too much…THANK YOU. Without this forum I don’t think I would be nearly as dedicated to this new lifestyle without the generosity of the people on this site.

Eureka – I have read your post and am very glad that you have returned from the wilds ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank you for your tip about the shakes – I am off them now, never really liked them as they didn’t fill me up as much as I hoped. They allowed me to ease into the diet, but I am full on “real” food this week! Thank you for those references. As someone who researches everything (to death if you ask my friends) I will certainly be adding these to my TBR pile (to be read). You will be right near my work when you visit Toronto, not even a block away (we’re on the NE corner of King Street West and York Street in the Exchange Tower). If you need any ideas for your stay, let me know, I would be happy to help!

Bill1954 – My second favourite Bill (my Dad’s the first, sorry). I must force myself to stay strong and not give in. LOL. The ones I have are serviceable, but not pretty ๐Ÿ™‚ I may, however, change the pedicure and massage as I had a good look at my feet this morning and don’t think my socks will last until the 20lb mark ๐Ÿ˜‰ Besides the chairs at my salon are massage chairs.

Make today a great day!

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Wow, all that snow! England falls apart when there is more than a centimetre!

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

‘Tis but a dusting Janet, lol.

It’s Canada, what are you going to do?

Shovel, the answer is always, shovel

• posted by Janet1973
    on

You’re so brave lol!

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Had a bad day today. Not really food bad (although I did have 1/2 a white bun with my soup at dinner) but just overall feeling bad. My head feels muddy, my eyes are irritated, the nerve pain in my feet is hovering around a 9…

But you know what? I survived it. It’s just one day. I think I’m going to take Bing Crosby’s advice before I turn in. Go to sleep counting my blessings.

So, good things that happened today:

1. I only ate 1/2 the bun (I threw out the other half before I could eat it)
    2. My sweet parking spot wasn’t occupied at the train station this morning
    3. My boss trusts me enough to vent to
    4. My eyes are not irritated by allergies as there is two feet of snow
    5. New shoes I ordered online came in and they are adorable
    6. I sat in a coffee/donut shop visiting with friends for two hours and didn’t cave in to the temptation of sugar
    7. Said friends asked me to sing at their wedding, even after I told them my track record with wedding singing (5 weddings, 5 divorces) – I said yes
    8. I still have my feet
    9. Reading this forum today kept me sane, even if I wasn’t up to posting, thanks all

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Deb, sounds like your blessings are many!
    Well done on eating only half the bun and avoiding the sugar temptations when visiting with your friends.
    You Canadians are a tough breed, we complain once the temperature drops to the low teens here in Australia.
    Do you think the cold weather and being outside shovelling snow caused the increased foot pain? I hope it eases soon. One of the other ladies on the forum, Georgia Rose, has found an improvement in her neuropathy since lowering her blood sugars. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

hi Deb, what a lovely idea to count your blessings like that. We should all take a leaf out of your book!
    Sorry to hear about your foot pain, could Cherrianne be right? Your poor feet would have got quite cold shovelling all that snow!!
    Hope it is much better today ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.