How's it going eh? Hello from Canada!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Thanks Ladies – Today is better, so far ๐Ÿ˜‰

The foot pain comes in fits. It’s always there, but the pain level ramps up and down. Never thought about the cold, but when I was putting the pain cream on last night i noticed how cold my feet were even with thick socks and fuzzy slippers I had on. I will have to keep an eye on it for sure.

It’s still cold, we’re supposed to get 1-3cm of snow again this morning, but it’s going to warm up to 4C and turn to rain and wash it all away this afternoon. Warm weather can’t come soon enough! Cherrianne – I will GLADLY send you some if you want it. LOL.

This morning my Ketones were small (they have been consistently medium since day 2), so it’s a good lesson for me in what one simple carb will do to the process. On another note, I’m feeling lighter, my pants are more loose, and my Fasting and Evening BS are in the pre-Diabetic range. I was on a slow release insulin at night “as needed” and I haven’t had to inject for over a week. Now that’s a win.

Make today a great day!

Deb

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hey Deb, great blood sugar results, and NO INSULIN, Yippee!!
    Love that it’s ‘warming up’ to 4C lol ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m freezing my bum off at 11C!!!!
    I love snow, within reason, I can drive 8-9 hours to where my brother lives and see it in the winter. I was born in England, and lived there again in my teens and part of my twenties so have experienced cold snowy winters.
    It doesn’t snow in my state, except for a dozen flakes once in a blue moon. That’s the way I like it these days. I wouldn’t consider 20cm overnight reasonable though. Brrrr.
    Glad you’re having a better day. Looser pants are what you’re aiming for, so you’re definitely winning the battle. Just don’t do a Captain Lynne and have your pants nearly fall down while you’re out and about!

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Cherrianne – I live in fear… LOL Eventually the weather will have to improve enough for me to wear a dress without freezing right?

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Deb,
    I love the rewards on your profile. Why don’t we all do that?
    I’m going to spend the rest of the evening dreaming up some treats. (I’ve already done my 8 weeks but I have another stone to lose, so rewards will be a great incentive.)
    The only one I already know is the final one – a white bread bacon sarnie. (It will be a “once a month” treat – no good trying to ban anything for ever)
    John

on

PS – What’s a “Fit Bit”? (Or shouldn’t I ask?) ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Stringbreaker I am so glad I am not the only one who has to ask questions about things everyone else seems to know!!!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi CallMeDeb

Watch those feet. Diabetics feel the cold more ( yet another side effect). On this diet the first two or three weeks seem to exacerbate that whether you are diabetic or not. It’s your body adjusting Be extra careful in your low temperatures.

When I count my blessings, top of the list is the BSD. It’s going to let me enjoy the others. And one of them is top of my bucket list – Canada ! I’ve waited 54 yrs to come see you. My teacher did a work exchange at a school on Vancouver Island ( can’t remember the name). She waxed so lyrical about it, I longed to go. My big 65 bday July so this is from me to me with love. Oh & I’m bringing the husband too (70yr in Jan) it’s now or never

Thanks for offer re things to see. I think there is an Inuit museum near the hotel by the harbour we’d like to see. Haven’t got the full itinerary yet so will see if we can later. The tour is coast to coast. Small world always

Keep drinking it helps the head. A bit more salt with the diet too as you are peeing more just now
    Eureka

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

CallmeDeb, I would be wearing ALL my dresses AND jumpers, pants, socks etc if I had to endure the temperatures you live with lol. So I would look like the Michelin man and have a rolling gait like a sailor, can you picture it, but I would be warmish?

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

String breaker a fit bit is a sensor that monitors your activity, counts your steps, length and quality of sleep, heart rate etc.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Cherrianne – I can totally picture it, it’s me when we get below -10C, lol. It’s grey, rainy and plus 2 this morning, so I wore my spring jacket today. Mind you, I am wearing a thick sweater underneath it. I do remember our Grade 8 (13 years old) trip to Manitouwadge in Northern Ontario, in the winter. It took us 24 hours to get there by train and when we stepped off it was -45C. You could only see our eyes for all the winter wear, but our host class were walking around with open jackets. I guess you get used to it, lol.

Eureka – thanks for the tip, I wasn’t aware of the cold effect! It would explain why I was absolutely FREEZING in my office yesterday (I put on two cardigans and a blanket). It wasn’t the temp in the office as that is pretty consistent. Hopefully my body regulates soon! I am so excited for your “A Mari usque ad Mare” visit to my favourite country! I’m also a little jealous, lol. You are going to see places that I haven’t gotten around to seeing yet (isn’t that always the way?), but I have been many places in Canada and will be glad to give you some suggestions.

StringBreaker – Thanks! I find rewards keep me motivated. Just a gentle suggestion – keeping your reward non-food is a great way to break the habit of thinking as food as reward rather than fuel. I’m not saying don’t ever eat it again (it’s one of my faves too), but try to find a way to separate food and reward.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

I have a confession to make…

I bought the FitBit early (https://www.fitbit.com/ca/alta). I am starting to track and ramp up my exercise next week and although i could use a step-tracker on my phone, I would have to carry it with me all the time with is a huge PITA (pain in the…). So I ordered one. Hopefully it will arrive today or tomorrow and we will be ready for action. I think I’m going to change my big reward to something fun…

Speaking of which.

Even before I heard of this lifestyle I had been waking up 45 mins earlier in preparation for walking, instead of driving, to the train station in the warmer weather. The train station is almost exactly 2kms away from my house, so I’m hoping for better weather next week to check out the timing. I am not, in any way, shape, or form, a morning person – so this has been, and still is, a challenge for me. Fingers crossed and I’ll keep you posted!

Diet wise…

I’m still feeling hunger, but it’s the pleasant awareness, not the gnawing ravenous hunger that I would get when I was eating the crap I used to eat.

Keto is still small this morning, so I’m going to cut the carbs a bit more today and add in more fat and see if that kicks it back up to medium (or more) tomorrow.

Make today a great day!

Deb

PS – an updated list of Goals/Rewards/Tracking can always be found in my profile.

on

Cherrianne – thanks for the info on the Fit Bit – and there was me thinking it was a toyboy!

CallMeDeb – I suppose you’re right about the bacon sarnie – trouble is, the alternative is a tailored leather jacket which is going to cost me a lot more. Ho-hum. Has your Fit Bit arrived yet?

John

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Shhh John, don’t mention fit toy boys around Lucia! She has a new crush each week, although this week it’s Gibbs from NCIS, hardly a toy boy lol ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Now that made me actually LOL Cherrianne!

John – I did receive my fitbit yesterday and am having fun learning all the ins and outs of it today.

I didn’t get the one the measures heart-rate. I’m using today as a baseline, so I can go up from here (in steps). I like the fact that it talks to the app that I do my food tracking in (My Fitness Pal) and keeps me in tune with that as well. My favourite thing so far is the sleep function. It let me know that I slept for 7 hour 20 minutes last night, was restless 7X and woke up 1X. Fascinating! I need to figure out how they do that!

Been super busy at work today and am looking forward to the weekend.

Hope you all have a great one!

Deb

on

Hi CallMeDeb,
    Sounds fun. I don’t think I’d dare read the sleep one – I sleep well but nowhere near enough and I know that’s not good.
    I guess you use MFP on the phone – I’ve ou ever used it on a laptop – how easy is it to use on the small screen ?
    John

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Forgive my ignorance, my it skills are strictly on a need to know basis, is the fitbit part of apple technology or will it work with my Microsoft equipment? I have seen a windows based wristband but its very expensive.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Janet there are all sorts of fitness trackers online, some that will work with android phones and some with apple. You need to download their specific app and sync it by Bluetooth to your phone. Some will display on the unit itself and some are a sensor only and you read the results on your phone. Check on eBay to find one that fits your budget and your needs. Make sure you read the size of the unit as some of them are quite clunky looking. Also if you can replace the wristbands. I bought one that was a reasonable price and quite small. I can also get different wristbands to colour coordinate with my outfit

• posted by hashimoto
    on

OMG cherrieanne, I’m planning on getting a smart phone, now I’m remembering why I haven’t yet. – it all sounds way beyond my abilities. Bluetooth – wasn’t he a Viking warrior? ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

LOL Judith, I was in the health food shop the other day, one of the shop assistants was calling the owner from out the back and muttering to me “where is he?”, the lady next to me started laughing and explained that she’d just read the label on the vanilla halva as Valhalla! So the shop assistant said it must have been made by Vikings, I quipped that the man out the back wasn’t answering because he was mending his horned helmet. The poor man appeared and couldn’t understand why we all started laughing! Wonder if his name was Bluetooth? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Thanks cherrianne. If apps are involved, I will definitely have to make sure it is compatible with my windows phone ad there aren’t as many apps for that as there are for android/apple. The bit that most interested me was the morning alarm vibration because I just hate the sound of alarms (I’m so lazy!) so maybe I can get something much cheaper that just does that.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

LOL cherrianne, that’s hilarious!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Fit Bit is compatible with Windows, android, and apple.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Oooo that’s great news, thank you. That means I can spend my birthday money. I do like buying new gadgets!

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Happy Monday all – Day One of Week Three and I am feeling (pretty) good!

The Good News: Lost another 3.4lbs and 0.5″ – Chuffed (that’s what you Brits say right?)

The not so good:

Had a slip up yesterday.

Background – I’m in my early 40’s, no kids, no husband, and my 78 year old father lives with me. We’re like a sit-com. He won’t eat anything I make since the garlic-coffee incident when I was 8, so we cook and shop for ourselves.

So Dad is getting a little forgetful (don’t worry, we’re keeping an eye) and keeps forgetting that I am doing this diet. He brought home a box of cookies, because they’re my favourite (and his) oatmeal raisin. I reminded him that I am being quite strict and asked him to hide the cookies. He did. In the oven. I found them when I went to make my lunches for this week (Chicken Breast, Salsa, Cheese). Yes, I did find them before I turned the oven on to heat (this time).

Then I slipped.

I ate one.

I then experienced what I call a food blackout, and came out the other side having eaten 5 in total.

Know what I did? I logged it. I got on the treadmill and walked for 60 mins (too cold to walk outside). Went back on the plan.

I got my revenge on Dad though. I made him sit through Star Wars: The Force Awakens, instead of the beginning of The Masters, and I didn’t let him fall asleep, not once.

He then offered to make me pizza for dinner, but I think that was just for spite.

Make today a great day!

Deb

• posted by orchid
    on

Well done – great response. And I love the story of your Dad – I recognise the putting things away syndrome ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Aw Deb, I can see why you say you two are like a sit com! Thank goodness you found them before you started cooking! Forget about the slip up, its in the past now. You did the right thing getting straight back on the plan. Life will always chuck things our way and if life doesnt our relatives will!

on

Deb,
    I love “Food Blackout”
    Before BSD that was me.
    I remember being in the car heading towards a friend’s house for dinner.
    I was about 20mins away when I just “had” to have a Cornish Pasty.
    I knew I was about to be very well fed and yet somehow all my reason and commonsense just “blacked out” and before I knew where I was I’d eaten a large pasty. They actually had small ones but it had to be large.
    Sadly it wasn’t a rare sort of occurrence but now I’m on low carbs the cravings have virtually gone. If I fancy a carb snack now, I easily make do with a 15kCal savoury biscuit.
    John

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi CallMeDeb
    Great loss. Now I’d have dunked the biscuits in cocoa!
    My mum kept her purse in the fridge?

Get your own back & make dad cauliflower pizza! Go to : cleananddelicious.com Danni spies cauliflower pizza
    And the Force be with you young Skywalker. ( not out here yet, boo)
    Eureka

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi stringbreaker
    Aagh!! Tamed the GHRELIN MONSTER ( hungry hormone ). Good sense Leptin & saved you (decreases appetite)
    Eureka

on

Hi Eureka,
    What’s leptin?
    John

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi stringbreaker
    Leptin ( hormone that decreases appetite ). A hormone made by adipose (fat) cells. Helps to regulate energy balance by inhibiting hunger
    So much for my play on words! I’ll get me coat!!
    Eureka

on

Eureka,
    Thanks for the Leptin info
    John

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Food Blackouts are like an out-of-body experience aren’t they? You’re aware of what is happening, but detached.

I do find that since starting the BSD I am more mindful of what I am eating. Not just because I log everything, but because I am paying attention while I am eating it. Mindful eating – it’s a bit of a revelation, lol.

Yesterday was uneventful. Except for the snow, then hail, then rain… People wonder why Canadians are obsessed with weather. Let me tell you the forcast for this week.
    Today: Low -2C Hi 6C Mostly Cloudy, Very Windy
    Tomorrow: Low -1C Hi 4C Cloudy
    Thursday: Low 2C Hi 7C Sunny
    Friday: Low 4C Hi 8C Sunny
    Saturday: Low 6C Hi 12C Sunny
    Sunday: Low 9C Hi 17C Sunny

Seriously – This better be right – I want to go hiking and want the snow to be gone (and the ground to dry a bit).

Fingers Crossed!

Make today a great day!

Cheers,

Deb

PS Eureka – I thought it was funny ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Aah light dawns finally. I didn’t get it either, read and reread and finally saw it. Good sense leaped in ( leptin) and saved you. Lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Eeek, I’ve only just got the leptin joke too. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

HI all – Just a quick check in before I head home. I’ve been battling with my head today (and yesterday).

The first part is the headache from the weather changes. Good news – the jet stream is moving letting us have warmth, Bad news – This means adjusting to the higher pressure, and the pain that come with it for a few days. So I’m not having much fun.

The second part is the part that wants to stress eat the headache away.

But I haven’t. And I won’t.

Have a great night – TTY Tomorrow.

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Good Morning Sunshine!

Headache is still hanging around, but it’s not as bad, so I think we’re on the other side of it!

I am very excited as I got a Veggetti this morning (I ordered it through a girl at work), so instead of the soup I was planning for work next week, I’m going to to zucchini and bolognaise! I am VERY excited.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Cheers,

Deb

on

Deb,
    Is that a “souped-up” version of a spiraliser?
    John

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

It sounds like it John, don’t think it’s a toy boy at any rate lol ๐Ÿ™‚
    Although she could do with one to shovel away the snow and let her car get out ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Lol John. Yes it is.

It’s supposed to be 20C (~70F) on Sunday now. So even though I still have to scrape frost off my car windows every morning so far this week, I might have to cut the grass this weekend (wish I was kidding).

I will have to change my toy boy order to cabana boys โ›ฑ๐Ÿน๐Ÿน ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Deb

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Happy Sunday!

Week 4 stars now and I am excited to be adding strengthening excercises to my routine!

Lost another 4 lbs and .5″ , so I get my pedicure this week! Not a moment too soon!

I’ve made my lunches (turkey bolo and zucchini noodles) for the week and it’s so nice out I have my bedding airing outside ๐Ÿ˜„

I experimented with a low carb cheesecake last week, it was meh. Plus I had a small spike in my fasting BS the next day, so not worth it!

Make today a great day!

Deb

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Lol, I’m guessing ‘meh’ is Canadian for ‘not great’ is it??

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Exactly. I could take it or leave it, but the BS spike put it in the leave it category.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Deb, how are things going?

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi CallMeDeb
    How are you? Not heard from you for a while. Hope you & your dad ok. Are those temperatures rising now? Still counting your blessings I hope?

Please log in or register to post a reply.