How Will My GP React?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Matrika

“Eat potatoes & Don’t test your blood sugar!” That was honestly the ONLY advice I was or have been given by my dr! For three long years I’ve been in the type 2 wilderness. I’ve had to fight to get my eyes tested & my Hba1c once a year. I’ve changed surgeries & see a new dr, (who has lost 4 stone on 5:2 diet I’m told) in three weeks. Here’s hoping?

Don’t get mad get CHANGE!! I’m on a personal mission.
    I want to see the advice to, information & therefore treatment of Type 2 Diabetics CHANGE!

You DON’T add fuel to a CARBOHYDRATE fire. We are burning!

I’m finding the people who make the decisions about all Type 2 Diabetics. It takes time, they are well hidden!
    I also wanted ammunition , my BSD results. I (we) are living the reversed / controlling diabetic life. We DO have the resolve to CHANGE or lives. They declare we don’t. THEY don’t even want to give us the chance or support to try!!!

The ESTABLISHMENT have known about LOW CARBS & Type 2 Diabetes for a long time. The info is out there, lots of reading. It’s only now , with the £ cost to the WORLD & the out-of-control inexorable rise of Globa Type 2 Diabetes that they ‘care?’ ££££

I’ve more to do & will keep my powder dry until I’m ready to fire the whole arsenal not just a single salvo!
    When I have all the names & contact info I’ll post it.
    I’m away for 2 weeks, but it doesn’t matter. I’ve waited 3 years for this! I’m much older & diabetic wiser now.

I’ve learnt about Type 2 Diabetes the hard way. It’s their turn now.
    Eureka

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Eureka, I love your eloquent posts!!! Rock on!!! 🙂

• posted by QuiOui
    on

Wow, Eureka, great energy there. Yes see the fasted doctor. But I have to say, that I am a faster without diabetes, and doing BSD to lose my last kilos. I had not realised what having diabetes type 2 actually entails until I joined you a few days ago. I hope the new dr is more clued up.

Sorry, I can’t sign the petition as I am not in the UK.

Thanks Jimnz(compatriot I think) for putting the Insight programme on the site.

Micheal Moseley is my guru!!

Qui Oui

• posted by Matrika
    on

🙂
    Yes eureka, I’ve learned about diabetes mellitis the hard way too.And I believe you regarding the advice you were given. I was misled to eat lots of low glycaemic index grains! At least now there are more of us waking up and thanks to Michaels book a lot more exoposure of the myths that are doing us in. Hopefully the appearances and interviews Michael is doing for the book will filter out to the doctors and diabetes “experts”.

I found a video yesterday that I linked somewhere on a thread I started here that specifies the numbers for the drugs that are used to treat diabetes…specifically how much they each will drop blood glucose and HbA1c and how many heart attacks and strokes they will prevent. For the money being spent, it is pathetically little genuine affect and people are following their doctor’s advice not knowing that there have not been many studies on the effects of drugs such as Metformin whcih is known as the glod standard…a triumph of marketing over analysis if ever there was one. My own HbA1c is no idifferent on mMetformin and off it.

Most of the advice links back to just one good result in a British study apparently…no meta analysis…

This article I am linking below is an interesting read. The books referred to in the article are all good ones and available…and it is these books that have helped be find my way through the maze. I kept following the breadcrumbs…I am waiting for a copy of Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code due out here in early May…I have high hopes of that too, I like his work a lot.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

There are some brave honest people in the medical world speaking up and they are real heroes. I am very very grateful to them.
    I think it is a whole lot healthier to be angry about the way we have been treated and misinformed than to meekly accept it.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi QuiOui
    Many thanks. I don’t think some medics have any idea about diabetes either. We’re going to change that

Keep on going to rid those final kilos
    Eureka

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Matrika
    Thanks for all the info. Sounds like you’ve been digging too
    The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Jeff S. Volek, PhD, RD & Stephen D. Phinney, MD, PhD. Worth a read. Also online lectures. Jason Fung I’ve seen vids, speaks a lot of sense. I’m glad they are out there singing from the same hymn sheet. We just need the choir to join in!
    I need to read about metformin as I’m on it as well.

Up the Revolution!
    Eureka

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Matrika
    It was frustrating watching that show wasn’t it. I felt they just stuck to their old positions, and the guy from diabetes Australia would not talk about the bad advice they headline on their website. Grr.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Matrika
    Re the video- The other thing was the two- TWO!- people who were on the diet on the show both said after three weeks they were hungry. Well we know that you don’t have to be and we stopped being hungry after a few days, with a few exceptions. So they weren’t eating enough fat and having enough water, but it gave the impression that you have to suffer for 8 weeks, which isn’t true. Annoying. Will have put people off.
    Penny

• posted by Bill1954
    on

It’s amazing the change in peoples attitudes I have seen over the last few weeks on here.
    Let’s face it, we all started out doing this for ourselves, no one else, and that is a great attitude to have.
    Now though, more and more of us are looking closely at the disease and the results we and others are achieving and now we want to get the word out, not just for us, for others!!!
    This way of life has the power to change the world and we are at the forefront of it all, lets take our time, record all of our personal evidence, and then let the powers that be have both barrels.
    Let us all do for our grandchildren what the status quo could never do for us.
    Type 2 Diabetes can be beaten and we now have the tools to do it!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi,
    Whilst reading some of the posts this morning and seeing the frustration that the Aussie programme has created, I was reminded by a piece in MM’s book.
    I remember watching a programme (Horizon?) in the early noughties that showed that ulcers were caused by bacteria and not poor lifestyle and excess stomach acids. It interested me as I trained as a bacteriologist before I moved into IT. It was a classic case of not being able to replicate a bacteria found in the incriminating locality back into mice and replicating the symptoms. The Australian doctor who made the discovery decided to take a very brave step and infected himself with the bacteria and was getting stomach inflammation and vomiting within a couple of days. He then took an antibiotic cocktail to treat it and was fine. After that he successfully treated a number of patients with antibiotics successfully.
    I have always remembered that programme. What I did not know was that that was MM’s first TV programme and he was reporting on it. It was a similar situation to diabetes. Lots of time and money invested in drugs for the current thinking and a new simple, cheap solution was found. The other thing I did not realise was that the medical establishment ignored it for a few years. The British Medical Journal just said it was one-sided reporting and rubbished it – recognise a pattern here?
    Patient demand and evidence from those treated with antibiotics drove the changes and it is now the standard approach for ulcers.
    So – keep telling the medical staff about your successes and this will take the same route!
    Keep the faith.

• posted by jimnz
    on

Quiqui,

“Compatriot I think -”
    My username has my country on the end – are you a Kiwi?

Jim

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi orchid, I. Have clear memories of that program too 🙂

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well put, Bill! We can do it for our children too! Let the renal wards empty of diabetic patients going through hell!!! Up the revolution!!!! 🙂

If there are newbies who are British citizens please sign our petition!!! It has it’s own thread!! 🙂

• posted by QuiOui
    on

Hi Jimz
    Yes Qui=ki 0ui=wi
    My brother saw this personalized numberplate in Napier, and I liked it as it reflects my French roots.

• posted by jimnz
    on

Quiqui

I live in the North Island – about 70 km northwest of where this morning’s 5.2 earthquake occurred. It is a windy place so you wouldn’t call it Calmerston North. It can be cold in an easterly wind so you wouldn’t call it Balmerston North. I will leave you to guess where.

Jim

• posted by QuiOui
    on

Hi Jimnz
    Yes no problem locatng you. An earthquake I see in Masterton. I live part of every year in another windy place ( hot air from politcians mainly) but at the moment looking at snowy peaks in a mountainous part of France. Trying to escape NZ winter, but copped European winter instead.

Good place to concentrate on BSD though as we are far from temptations here.

Soup day yesterday and weight down 300g. Now on BSD for a week and 900g down (6000 calories deficit total – spot on average 900 cals/day)

Almost time for annual blood tests for a range of things!

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi all, don’t forget that GP’s are paid when they issue drugs. MY other half has withdrawn herself from Morphine that was being increased every time she complained following back surgery – he was not impressed or congratulatory. She also withdrew the anti-depressants in January as they too were making her dopey. She is now lighter, happier and able to control her back pain with less damaging painkillers and walking really helps her dodgy hip. So we are a collective knowledge base that is growing fast and one day might be listened to even if not consulted. Evidence speaks volumes… and saves NHS funds of course but may play havoc with a GP’s income if we all take on responsibility for our own health. I have recently been ridiculed for knowing my own heart rates and blood pressure. I may start a thread on this when my “Feedback” is responded to.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Skywalker, that is pretty disappointing in terms of the GP responses! Mine are delighted I keep data records – GPs are scientists and like evidence – at least most do 🙁

Your wife did well to decrease her morphine and anti-depressants.

In terms of G incomes – in Britain – with the population expanding quite rapidly I don’t think there income should be an issue if diabetics come off meds. GP’s are also under pressure not to give out too much expensive medication unless it is necessary.

I really don’t understand your GP!!!

You and your wife are doing so well in spite of the GP – keep it up 🙂

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

I will post if I get a response but nothing yet…

• posted by Steve T
    on

My GP’s reaction when I asked for his support pre-BSD is recorded elsewhere on the forum. It seems to me that some GPs like to preach the mantra about lifestyle change to patients who have weight, BP or blood sugar problems but, when faced with the reality of someone who wants to make that change, can’t deal with it.

Meanehile, in the real world, some us want to take charge of our own health. It would be nice to be supported in that. Hats off to those GPs who are like that.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

I got a letter today stating the practice has awarded itself 20 days to respond to my raised issues that they are treating as a complaint. I sent the letter 10 days ago so not sure what they are counting. It started off with “I would like to tell you about two of my experiences at the surgery, in feedback form rather than proceed directly to a formal complaint.” So no marks for comprehension, no acknowledgment or phone call or email and after 10 days a 2 paragraph letter posted second class!. More when they get round to responding properly…

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Skywalker, words fail me. I hope, despite appearances they will do some serious thinking

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Matrika
    Back from hols. Thanks for Ian Leslie, Long Read link. Very informative & references many names I know & some new ones.
    Jenny Ruhl, Blood Sugar 101 & Diet 101 The Truth About Low Carb Diets, proffer the same conclusions for the same reasons!
    It’s who you know not what you know & who shouts loudest longest that succeed in promoting deadly advice. And universal health policies that are based on flawed analysis of trials. The sheer hubris of these nutritionists & scientists astounds me.
    So many lives blighted by blinkered, irresponsible & downright wrong advice to Type 2 Diabetics for so many years! And they knew it! Unforgivable.

Hope you have got your book. He’s a nephrologist if memory serves me.
    Eureka

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Clare (Michael’s wife)
    Re my post 13.2.16 & your reply 14.2.16

Thought you’d like to know I’ve changed dr’s & saw my new GP this am. What a difference!
    He’s doing the 5:2 & a broad grin on seeing the 8-week blood sugar diet book & Dr Michael Mosley’s name emblazoned on it!

He’s very happy I’ve researched enough & know what I’m aiming for. He fully supports me, HbA1c anytime I’m ready for it ( end of May I think ). I’ve taken myself off x 2 500mg Metformin last week, he says see how I go with diet & testing, the repeat prescription is still there if needed.

My BP 137/75 p 56! Unheard of for me 😀 BMI 27.5 (3.3) down. 5″ off waist (size 14). 2lb off initial goal weight of 1stone 7lb lost & 12% down on start weight. Fasting blood sugar 6.6 (good considering no meds for a week & dawn phenomenon still with me). It’s taken me 11 weeks & was on big family hol last week too ( cooking for 14 ). Will continue in batches of 1/2 stone to try & get to 9 stone something & hoped for T2 reversal!

No longer a beached Whale, breaching & spouting 🐳 ( hang-loose). BSD No Ka Oi (Hawaiian for is the best)

Hope you get this message. Could be the rudder is changing course on that NHS tanker?
    Keep on keeping on
    Eureka

• posted by Clare (BSD Admin)
    on

Hi Eureka
    I am so delighted for you that all your hard work has paid off – excellent BP, 5″ of waist , very encouraging fasting blood sugar! Woohoo! And getting close to your target. So glad that you have come across one of the many open minded GPs out there and sounds like he totally gets it! It makes such a difference to have their support. We are seeing some amazing results in our practice amongst patients and staff!
    Michael is just standing over my shoulder saying “Great to hear this, well done and say Hi to you GP from him”!
    Greatly admire your fighting spirit in spreading the word and in supporting so many others doing the BSD
    Let’s hope that tanker is taking a better course
    Clare

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Clare & The Master
    Glad you got the message. Will say hi to my new GP from Michael tomorrow via my husband who sees him then!

Husband supports & doing BSD too. His results great too. Now in 34″ waist trousers. It’s costing a fortune in new clothes. Yippee! 👌
    Got Etienne Krug in my sights. Just need a bit more ammo!!
    We will all keep on keeping on. Very good people on this forum giving their time, experience & advice re BSD. Up the Revolution.
    Eureka

on

Well done to hubby too!
    Yes absolutely there are lots of inspirational people on this forum. Wonderful to see. Enjoy the new clothes..
    Clare

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Clare, have you noticed other health improvements for patients on this diet? Has Michael noticed it on these forums?
    I know it is all ‘anecdotal’ at the moment, but speaking for myself, my peakflow charts since starting this diet tell a very different story from my charts last year! So much so that I am able to reduce the high level of inhaled steroids I was on. It can’t be ascribed to weight loss as a) I wasn’t massively overweight at the beginning, b) I was on a high level of steroids when I was lighter than my starting point of this diet and c) the improvement in my asthma came early in the diet.
    Judith

• posted by charliebee38
    on

Hello all!

Thank you Matrika – I guess I just don’t know if i’m insulin resistant or not? Maybe my post may shed some light for those of you who are more knowledgable than me, thanks for the tip on the supplements – I’ll get ordering!

So I finished the 800 calorie 8 week programme a few weeks ago (lost 6lbs in all) and i’ve generally been sticking to around 900/1000 calories, mostly my sugars are alot better but i’m still starting the day around 10/12bs 🙁
    I’m happy to say i’m remaining the same weight and now the kids are back at school I have hit the gym / road / dog walking.

Anyway! I was kindly advised to seek a C-peptide test which I had to do privately as it’s not on the NHS, my concern was that my GP wouldn’t be able to interpret the results and give me the ‘you are destined for insulin’ talk, she said it was academic what type of diabetic I am because I’ll end up on insulin anyway eventually (Gee, thanks). She did admit that she didn’t understand the results which is better than lying about it.

So I am waiting to see the same patronising consultant at the hospital again, but I’ve asked for it to be in May so my HbA1c takes into account the 8 week programme and my general change in lifestyle. Then if i need to be on medication, fine, but it needs to be the right dose/type and I want to delay going on to insulin as much as i can. I’m also still waiting on an antibodies blood test results from February….

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had the Insulin C-Peptide test as me or if anyone knows what these results mean? I know it’s a low level of insulin i’m producing but I don’t know how relative this is to non diabetics or more importantly to Type 1 – I’m assuming thier insulin level would be 0? I have had a quick google but I don’t want to self diagnose and panic 😀

so here they are
    Insulin – 23/pmol / L CPeptide – 400pmol/L
    Glucose 6.7mmol/L (sps result)
    LOW INSULIN AND C-PETIDE FOR GLUCOSE LEVEL

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read and with any advice
    x

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Eureka
    Great re GP.
    And you’re doing so well.
    Penny

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi pmshrink
    Thanks Penny, husband just saw him & impressed too. Three years upset wiped away in one visit!
    I’m getting there & feel good. Hope you do too

• posted by janicem
    on

Slightly nervous about asking if I should start the diet as I am epileptic and take lots of medication.
    At annual check up the nurse is very enthusiastic about the diet and very encouraging. It was delightful to listen to her after reading many of the folks with negative feedback.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Janicem, just ask him/her! They can’t kill you for it! Only two possible answers – yes or no. If your nurse is enthusiastic about the diet there is a chance some of the GPs will be too!
    I’ve got to say I have had positive interactions with my GP and nurse – but I’m asthmatic and hypothyroid rather than epileptic so I can’t give you advice about your condition other than ask!
    Wishing you good luck 🙂

on

Hi Hashimoto – Good to hear that your asthma has improved since you have been doing the BSD. Yes I have seen some improvement anecdotally in patients. Given that insulin resistance is associated with raised inflammatory markers, you would expect a reduction as blood sugars improve and the insulin resistance settles.

• posted by thepolly
    on

First diabetic clinic was on Mon and I was quite happy that the nurse thought I was well-informed and had looked into what I was doing with the diet. Also my blood sugar had gone down slightly in the week between the first and second hba1c’s so that was good.

Then I was handed the leaflet which under dietary stuff basically has cereal or bread at every breakfast suggestion and then all the lunches and dinners have potatoes, pasta or other carby junk.

Have my next hba1c in 3 months to check that it’s all going in the right direction. The nurse did say that I should think about meds though… to which I probably rolled my eyes (unconsciously)…

• posted by Poppyflower
    on

Hi janicem,
    I don’t know what type of epilepsy you have but I know some types respond well to a ketogenic diet. I know of a child who finds it is the only way to prevent seizures. You should definitely talk to your neurologist though to make sure it is safe with your mess.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi folks
    There is hope! Just had my Diabetic eye test today. Told the lovely tester about the BSD diet & she said ( unprompted) ” We’ll have to put the details up here”. SCORE! I left all the details with her 😃 👍

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well done Eureka! Never miss an opportunity😃

• posted by Natalie
    on

I have also heard of a strict ketogenic diet being used to avoid epileptic seizures.

• posted by jimnz
    on

After 8 weeks on the BSD, I have managed to lose 10.2 kg. This morning, I had the blood tests done to check on HBA1C and other things. Next Thursday, I have an appointment to see my GP. He is very encouraging of my taking part as he has heard Michael Mosley on Radio New Zealand. I am hoping that our doctor will bring me the news that I am no longer Type 2 Diabetes.
    Now, off out for lunch – hope that they have soup on the menu.

Jim

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Follow up to previous posts. I called in to the surgery on Tuesday to remind them that I had asked in my letter of 10th April for some info and a copy of a report due on another medical matter. The report was seriously overdue by more than 2 weeks and I had already received a written apology from the hospital due to their backlog in test analyses. It finally arrived at my local practice at about 1500h on 9th May following the tests of 5-6 April. In spite of my previous written request (1 month earlier) I could not gain access to it. We drove home (160+ miles) to try to get access the following day and I was told that everyone was far too busy to deal with it – including the GP himself. He came down to speak to me after I complained. He suggested that I see him the following day when all would be revealed except that there was no problem because the tests came back essentially normal. So, there I was, 6 days after the hospital said it had finally been sent, at 0750h and second in the queue! The doors opened at 0815h and a list of patients was made at 0830h. I was in with my friendly GP by about 0850h and we had a good exchange but he was still asking if I had lost 18%+ of my body mass (3 stones) via a low fat diet? He did however, share the report at the end and took some of my data as evidence to follow-up on. My letter of 10 April was still being considered and the other GP that it refers to has been sent a copy to comment on, so still no progress there. That particular bit of “feedback” refers to the consultation of 22nd Feb that would eventually generate the overdue report referred to above. The Practice Manager had stated they would have 20 days to investigate and respond. She was apologetic but had I not complained I would have been no wiser that there was still no progress . Our NHS here in East of England is no longer fit for purpose but is trying hard to improve… We keep it going by paying for scans etc just to get some good data swiftly.

• posted by DemiMondaine
    on

One of my biggest incentives is the day I walk into my GP’s surgery on an unrelated issue and she doesn’t recognise me because of the amount of weight I’ve lost. She has been really nasty in the past, sneering and sarcastic about my weight. She genuinely thinks it’s a simple lack of willpower that has made me overeat.

Well, I’m on week 3 and hoping to have news for her.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi DemiMondaine
    Please look at page 1 of this thread. 13.2.16 @ 22.10pm, my reply to Magiek. Read ‘good medical practice’!

I really wouldn’t be polite to that ‘lady’. The days of Dr’s being tin gods are long gone. I worked with enough who thought they were & kept my mouth shut. I’m much older & on this BSD subject, wiser than them now. I’m SHOUTING about Type 2 Diabetic treatment & they have no option but to listen!
    Go do your thing ‘skinny lady’ 👍 💐

• posted by Natalie
    on

Oh my goodness DemiMondaine, can’t you get a different doctor? I wouldn’t put up with that. Sounds very unprofessional. And ignorant.

• posted by jimnz
    on

Last Friday, I had my blood tested. This morning, I went to see our GP. He told me that, with an HBA1C reading of 40 – instead of 45 or 46 – you have now moved from diabetic to prediabetic. He was very pleased with the weight loss of 11.2 kg in 9 weeks.
    I sent him a link to Michael Mosley’s SBS interview in Australia. He watched it, shared the ideas with his dietician wife. Initially skeptical of the diet, she now has the whole family – including our GP on the Blood Sugar Diet!

Jim

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi DemiMondaine,
    I’ve had a similar experience to you with a non-supportive GP. This week (for my situation) I came to the realization that I was no longer in a professional relationship but an abusive one.
    I changed my GP and have had my first appointment with my new GP. I felt comfortable and emotionally supported during the appointment and walked away feeling good about myself and the decision I’d made to change.

Hi jimnz,
    I’ve been following your posts. What refreshing news about your GP and now a dietician on board too! Great news about your pre-diabetic status – that must feel good.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi jimnz
    GOAL! That’s the way to do it! Great bloods & result for you. Well done 😀🎯

Hi Switzerland
    So glad you now have a supportive GP. It makes all the difference. I too had to change my GP after twice facing point blank refusal to help me at all with the BSD! I’m happy, supported & feel positive with my new GP. 😀

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Eureka,
    Yes, this whole BSD thing really sorts out the GP’s. My new GP has just phoned with my blood results Fasting glucose 6.0 HbA1c 5.8
    Cholesterol 5.7. I’m excited about my results coming down and here’s the HUGELY exciting thing……when I told him I’m doing MM’s 8 week BSD (which he hadn’t heard about) he said ‘Go for it. I’m a huge fan of Michael Mosley’s.’
    So now I know I did the right thing by changing. As you know it’s a huge step.
    Best wishes.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Switzerland
    Just great! Bloods so good👍 Happy patient. 😀
    My new GP does 5:2 so there you go. Keep going 🖖🏻

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Thank you for the encouraging words Eureka.

Please log in or register to post a reply.