How Will My GP React?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Newlife πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€
    Yeah the evidence that is growing daily and which they all want to ignore Mummytummy.
    By the way, would you condiser signing our petition ?
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125704
    We want to see the government providing the correct nutritional info in their up and coming pre diabetic bootcamps.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Already done Bill.

• posted by Steve T
    on

Thank you all so much for all your words of support. I’m now on Day 3 of the BSD and it’s mostly good so far – though the minced lamb on the Day 1 menu was yuk! I have turned my GPs reaction into a positive personal driver so maybe he did me a favour after all. Petition has been signed.

• posted by jillyB
    on

Yesterday was the finish of my 1st week, another 7 to go !! I am still very hungry and light headed and finding the food preparation and cooking extremely time consuming. My freezer is not big enough for me to double up the food and freeze half. I haven’t been out of the apartment since I started the BSD except to shop, even had to miss our wedding anniversary…..58 years. Weighed myself this morning, 1st day of 2nd week and was rather disappointed to find I had only lost 4
    lbs. I had been reading other blogs and kept reading all these people that have lost 7 lbs in the first week. I certainly hope this will change because I have found that the weight loss usually gets less as the weeks pass.
    However, I will persevere and carry on.
    JillyB

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Jilly
    If you’re hungry and lightheaded that means you’re not in fat burning mode yet. Maybe check your carbs and fat. You may need less carbs and more fat. That should put you into fat burning.
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by jillyB
    on

Penny,
    Thank you for your suggestions. I think my carbs are about right but will try to up my fat.
    Jilly

• posted by Natalie
    on

Hashimoto I just saw you wrote a quarter of a cucumber has 2.7 grams of carbs but my calculator (Calorie King app) says 1.8 grams of carb for the whole thing which is a big difference! I think mine is more likely. Was 2.7 calories maybe? That would be about right.

• posted by jillyB
    on

pmshrink

You suggested I up my fat…..can you suggest any good fats that are not energy dense ? I love avocados and nuts but this makes a huge hole in my calorie count. Love to hear from you.

Regards jillyB

• posted by Garden78
    on

Just read the thread about reactions from GPs. Similar to my experience Steve, he was also disinterested, wanted me to be on Metformin and statins and eventually said come back in 3 months . This was mid February. My BM has gone down from 10.3 to 5.3, I’m off meds for my bold pressure which is stable at 130-120/ 70 and I’ve dropped a dress size. I feel really well and in control of my eating for the first time in years. I’m learning all the time and some weeks haven’t lost anything but I’m making progress and have moved of the 800 calorie count. I’m understanding more about how my body reacts to carbs and have started doing a post meal reading sometimes to see how I am doing. Don’t be deterred there is everything to play for !,

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Natalie, I don’t understand this cucumber thing. I use calorieking and it states 10.9g carbs for an 8″ piece of cucumber. Hence my figure of 2.7g for a quarter of a cucumber. It does seem high.

Janet1973 please help!

Jilly have you tried the avocado/bacon lettuce cups? Delicious and a half avocado makes a great meal in that recipe πŸ™‚ 290 calories according to the book.

• posted by Mummytummy
    on

Hi JillyB!
    Fat is the most energy dense of all the nutrients ( protein fats and carbs). The secret to the success of this plan is you use ‘good’ fats- olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, rapeseed oil, and Butter- not margarine or ‘low fat’ spreads. Small amounts of good fats are good for us and keep us feeling full for longer. So even tho the amounts seem small, it should satisfy you for longer than a plate full of starchy carbs does because they just spike your blood sugar then it crashes down much sooner leaving you feeling starving! Bad fats are those onus in low fat spreads, commercially made cakes biscuits and pastries, which are mainly ‘trans fats’ and are very bad for us. Good luck JillyB! X

• posted by Mummytummy
    on

Congratulations Garden78! They are amazing results. May I suggest you repost this in ‘Fast 800’ ? I think anyone struggling would appreciate reading this! X

• posted by Mummytummy
    on

Hi Bill1954, I will certainly sign your petition! Thanks!

• posted by QuiOui
    on

I like your reply, Bill1954, about the Diabetes questionnaire. When I started fasting, I went to my doctor to tell him about fasting. He sat me down and asked me a lot of How To questions. I said that I found my own way of solving the problem, and he said this was great. He could not offer a solution and was happy I found one ( a rare doctor).However my neighbour said he did not agree with fasting. My reply was (politely) that I was going to do it anyway. Now I am 25kg lighter, my neighbour no longer says anything.

• posted by QuiOui
    on

Steve T- I made the meatballs with very lean beef, not lamb. It was good.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi QuiOui
    Loving the attitude there.
    If a few more patients were like you and challenged their GP’s they might start actually thinking about their jobs instead of just blindly following the book.
    I have to say though that I have spoken to a few now who know about the benefits of low carb eating, they just don’t broadcast it.
    Shameful really.

• posted by jillyB
    on

mummytummy,

Thank you for your suggestions, but that was not quite the question I asked. I know all about carbs spiking, and good fats burning energy and being more satiated…..I have been insulin dependent T2 for many years, so I understand all that. What I wanted to know, given that fats [ good or bad ] are high in calories, so this would take a big chunk from my calorie allowance.
    Regards jillyB

• posted by QuiOui
    on

Yes Bill, challenge the doctors! My neighbour I was talking about is an old style French doctor, who believes that doctors have the God-given task of looking after their patients, not give them the means to look after themselves.
    I used to have a BMI of around 36 (now hovering just below30) and my own doctor never used the “O” word. he treated my slow to heal wounds, but never said that I was pre-diabetic and obese.
    I am glad to find the solution myself. I feel great on this BSD with fasting.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

jillyB of course fats contain calories but there has to be a trade off somewhere.
    You know about how it works getting into fat burning mode so why not try what I do ?
    I don’t worry about the calories, I just restrict the simple carbs and increase the fat intake.
    I find now that my appetite has lessened so much that I struggle to clear a plate and I have lost 2 stones. The fat keeps me feeling full through until the next meal. I use coconut oil, olive oil, butter, cheese, and natural meat fats.
    If you can get to the point where a little food will satisfy you, the calories will take care of themselves.
    Best of luck

• posted by Mummytummy
    on

Hi JillyB,
    Sorry if you feel offended. The question you asked was ‘are there any good fats that are not energy dense?’
    The answer is no- they are all energy dense.
    However, the fats won’t take that big a chunk from your your calorie allowance, because there will be protein in there, which as you know, will fill you up. A lot if the recipes only ask for a teaspoon of oil, etc.
    going back to your original post, make sure you drink lots of water. That may help with the dizziness.
    4lb weight loss is great in one week. Lots if us here on the forums have had slower weight loss. Hope this helps.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

QuiQui, it’s great that you have a ‘listening’ doctor. I’m lucky that way too. I really feel for those whose doctor’s are dismissive. Oh, and I love that the neighbour has stopped commenting now you have lost so much weight!! Brilliant!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Jillyb, mummytummy and Bill are right, you do need those fats to make this diet really work for you. You will be amazed at how much it fills you up! You could try Bill’s way of eating according to the principles of the diet and not count calories. I do that now ( have lost just over 2 stones 9lbs) and I am still losing – slowly, but losing! I would only like to drop another 5 lbs so I am taking it slowly. πŸ™‚

• posted by jillyB
    on

mummytummy,
    Please accept my apologies, I certainly didn’t mean to offend you. It’s late at night and I am getting a bit cranky.
    I was interested in bill1954′ s comments, too. He doesn’t count calories and concentrates on the fats and carbs.
    I wonder if that will work for me ?
    I seem to spend all day planning , adding up cals and preparing food, this is making me very tired. Please forgive me for sounding brusque.

jillyB

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Natalie,
    my calculator estimates a cucumber at 8.25 inches and 301g, so a quarter is 75.25g and 11.29 cals, 2.73carbs. It uses 1 gram cucumber to 0.15 cals, 0.04 carbs. This included the peel.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Jilly don’t worry, we’re all human and we all have those cranky spells πŸ™‚
    Like I’ve said lots of times. try not to overthink it, just do what feels right for you, an adjustment can always be made if you find it doesn’t suit you.

• posted by jillyB
    on

Hi, bill1954

Thank you for your advice….I am very tempted to try your method as this will stop all the angst I am going through preparing, planning and cooking meals. My husband is retired so this means I have to cook 3 meals each day. As he is not interested in my meals, he is very supportive, but it is hard as I am no spring chicken anymore

Regards jillyB

• posted by Natalie
    on

I may have found the reason for the cucumber discrepancy! I am eating little Lebanese cucumbers that weigh around 100 grams, not 300.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hi jillyB,

I’m like Bill – I don’t count calories (although I try to be mindful of portion sizes). I’ve cut out all refined carbs and I’ve switched to full-fat dairy because it has less sugar and keeps you full. I’ve lost 12lb so far – it works πŸ™‚

Could you eat the same meals as your husband but just modify your plate a bit eg skip the potatoes, have more green veg etc?

• posted by Mummytummy
    on

No apology needed Jilly, we’re all in this togetherπŸ‘.
    You know, it’s your choice- you can tailor it to your lifestyle and needs. MM says in the book that the Fast 800 is challenging- that’s why it’s designed to be done only for & weeks.
    Gosh, I can so relate to feeling hungry and cranky 😁😁!! Give yourself a break, you have already made the first step and that’s the main thing.
    Why not try Bill’s method, or do the 5:2 BSD?
    Lots of love x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Natalie, glad we sorted the cucumber puzzle! sometimes there are so many options on calorieking it can be hard to see the wood for the trees lol.

Hi Jillyb, I would go with the suggestion to eat a lot of what your husband eats but cut out the carbs, it will make your life much easier. Cooking three meals a day is rather onerous!
    A lot of the food I eat is my ‘old’ meals minus the carbs – roast dinners without spuds or Yorkshires, curry with no rice ragout without pasta etc. I’ve had friends round for meals and done that —- and still lost weight! πŸ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Jilly
    Re fats- all fats have 9 cals per gram so there’s no way out of that! However it is possible to eat enough fat if you keep carbs low and protein medium.
    I looked at my MFP for yesterday- it was 25 g carbs 59 grams fat 40 g protein Which was 800 cals. The day before was 23 g carbs 42 g fat 35 G protein. Cals 766
    Hope that helps
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Judith
    Because CK is a US site they put the total carbs. On a Uk site they give net carbs ie without the fibre added in. So on CK you have to deduct the fibre from the carbs to get a useful carbs number.
    Does that explain the cucumber problem??!!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi QuiOui
    You ve shown them!
    I was wondering what sort of fasting you do.
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks penny, it does. Is there a good uk site? πŸ™‚

• posted by QuiOui
    on

Hi Penny

I have lost my 25kg of weight mainly by alternate day fasting 400 cals one day, and 1200 cals the next. In theory on the up day you can eat anything, but in practice you don’t. Sometimes I just eat nothing for 48 hours, but it’s hard to maintain a social life with that.
    Everyday I also maintain the 19:5 or 18:6- eating in a window of 5 or 6 hours and even no milk in my tea outside those times
    Fasting makes me feel great – full of energy and happy.

I am using the BSD to try to lose the last 7 or 8 kilos of weight to arrive at BMI 26, after a month or so of excess.
    I will combine it with 4:3 as from next week(3 meals in 2 days), weekend off (but stick to 1000 cals).
    I have June 30 as my normal weight deadline, which will take some discipline.
    I do miss a glass of wine every now and then, but even this is dispensible.

There are sayings on the fastdiet forum I also belong to:

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SLIM and

FAST FOR GOOD HEALTH, REDUCE CALORIES TO LOSE WEIGHT, EXERCISE TO TONE THE BODY!

I am not diabetic, so my goals are to do with losng weight rather than lowering blood sugar. But these go hand in hand.

Happy a happy BSD day

PS I love the recipe in BSD – a salad with pomegranate seeds.

• posted by jimnz
    on

magek,
    I only got started on the program after I heard an interview on Radio New Zealand between the presenter, Simon Morton, and Dr Mosely. That was broadcast on Saturday March 12 this year.

Last week, I printed off the information sheet on BSD from the website and handed it to our GP at a consultation.
    Not only was our GP in favour of my taking part, but he had also heard the RNZ interview. In fact, he is keen to look upon me as an example to his other patients. Therefore, he has given me a form to have a set of blood tests done in about three months time to check on the progress.
    When I got home, I emailed our GP a very good studio interview from SBS television in Australia with Dr Mosely and a group of diabetic patients. The interview is quite long – some 50 minutes, but it is powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDEw561NFto

All the best

Jim

• posted by jimnz
    on

Magiek,
    My humble apologies – I had your name incorrectly spelt in my previous post.

Jim

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi jimnz
    Thanks so much for the Insight video with Dr Michael Mosley & Prof Roy Taylor. I think this will answer a lot of frequently asked questions on the forum. Yes we have the book & this forum but a programme like this will stick in the mind more.
    Maxine’s great. Would love a chat with her

I hope the techies can make this part of the BSD tool bar for instant click to. PLEASE!
    Eureka

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks for the video, jim. I agree with eureka that this should be put on the tool bar πŸ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi jimnz
    Just asked techies to put vid on tool bar if poss. It’s that good
    Eureka

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well done eureka πŸ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Judith
    I haven’t found a uk site I like so I use CK and deduct the fibre.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi QuiOui
    Thanks for the info.
    Did the fasting lead to a month of excess??!!
    It’s quite complicated- is there a book?
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

QuiOui
    I forgot to say- fantastic weight loss!
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Penny I’ll keep using CK πŸ™‚

• posted by Matrika
    on

Thanks very much for posting that link jimnz.
    I am the only person I know who doesn’t have a tv…so I only watch programs that are linked on the web…I’d better get back to watching the Insight program on “SBS on Demand”. This was terrifically inspiring…what came shining through to me is how very diplomatic Michael Mosely is…the diabetes “experts” there I thought were fools and idiots and I was furious that they didn’t acknowledge the results of Prof Taylor’s work….If something is proven , certainly it needs to be replicated but for the diabetes” expert” to be waffling on saying there are 100s of diets and no-one should leave here today thinking this one is the answer…well yes… and some of us diabetics have had to try all these diets because the “experts” were so unscientific and ignorant in their advice. I walked out of a Diabetes Australia consult with one of their advisors when she was insisting that vegetables weren’t carbohydrates…I felt my well being was threatened by her ignorance and it was clear to me that their advice was rubbish…and I really dislike men like those on the program in positions of responsibility who actually advise the government on policy who know bugger all about how to ACTUALLY treat this disease in a healthy way and not kill us as off they have been doing for years.

Sorry…sends me nuts. Apologies for ranting.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks from me too, jimnz, I have forwarded the link to a few people.
    Totally agree with you Matrika! And poor pof taylor is so cautious about saying if you have had diabetes for more than ten years…. but we have people on these forums who have had diabetes for years longer and have/are reversing it!!

Sends me nuts too Matrika.

BTW if you are a British Citizen would you sign our petition?? Apologies if you already have! πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Matrika

Here in the UK I once had a dietician tell me fish was a high carbohydrate food😱

I never went back!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Whatt?? That is unbelievable, Lynne. Where do these people train? πŸ™

• posted by Matrika
    on

Thanks hashimoto and captainlynne.

I am in Australia (why I went off with Diabetes Australia person on that program). πŸ™‚

Yes, Prof Taylor is clearly also very gentle in responding to these blokes…he did manage to get in there however that the people who may NOT respond with reversal of diabetes (because of their genetic predispositions) may be 1%. These old blokes are willing to lunp most of the diabetic type 2 population into a basket and send us out to sea with a diagnosis that we are chronic… cause of THEIR laziness.

I guess it’s a 100th monkey thing. The numbers will get them in the end but what really gets me annoyed and upset is that people in the meantime are going blind and losing their kydneys unnecessarily because persons paid a truckload of money are too lazy or foolish to actually apply their minds to reading and absorbing the information they are paid to keep abreast of.

Please log in or register to post a reply.