How Will My GP React?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi janicem, I worked with a girl back in the nineties who had severe epilepsy, she was drugged up to the eyeballs (which didn’t seem to do much to keep the epilepsy in check) and would have violent seizures. The drug she was taking was withdrawn and her parents got her on a ketogenic diet which changed her life. Good luck

• posted by Matrika
    on

Good to read people doing so well. I’ve been studying in a different area and haven’t been on the forum much lately but am still doing well with the insulin and glucose control, not so much with the weight loss but for me it is definitely a marathon not a sprint. Particularly pleasing to read of people getting new and more undertanding doctors and Eureka having a GP on MMs diet is a bit of a coup. 🙂

My new young GP is not familiar with the info behind this diet however, he is open minded and likes my numbers which is good enough.
    Sorry to be a hit and run participant, sole carer for a very sick dear 91yo parent and doing too much juggling.

My dream is that we will all find doctors who know more about insulin and blood glucose than we do…thats what I want.

I liked this lady’s Tedx talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Matrika,
    I just watched the Tedx talk – another inspirational doctor. Thank you. The great thing about these forums is that you can come and go as time permits. Pop in when you can.
    Best wishes.

• posted by thepolly
    on

Thanks for the link Matrika, will stick it on my facebook page for anyone that needs dietary advice, she explains it very well and simply.

• posted by nannoo
    on

Hi all. I’m a newbie here. Would appreciate your input, as I have read many of the posts and you are all so knowledgeable. Had been meaning to start the BS diet for ages, but last weekend it just came to me that I couldn’t continue being fat, taking more and more meds and eating carbs. So on Monday I started the BS Diet – fasting BS was 15. By Wednesday my fasting BS was 7.5 and I had lost nearly a kilo. Today fasting BS was 6.4, lost 2 kg. SO … decided I could stick to this, so was ready to call the doctor to discuss how to reduce my medications. I hadn’t finished my first sentence before she cut me off, saying that I would have to talk to the diabetes nurse as she did not have all the information to enable her to discuss this. Then I was told that I should not commence any diet without discussing it with the diabetic nurse first as it could be dangerous. When I asked her whether I should reduce other meds, she said that dieting would not have any effect on the other medications, despite the fact that I am on hypertensives. I had prepared some information based on Michael’s book and my stats, but she wasn’t interested. She said, sharply, that she had never heard of the Blood Sugar Diet. So, I am waiting for the nurse to call me – the doc would not give me her number – but meantime I would appreciate your thoughts on my current drug regime. I am so sick of sticking needles everywhere, and if I could eventually get off insulin (and the tablets ???) it would be wonderful. Thank you.

Lyxumia 20 mcg
    Metformin 2000 mg
    Propranolol 80 mg
    Amlodipine 5mg
    Olmesartan 20 mg
    Rosuvstatin 5 mg
    Levemir 90 units
    Apidra (only when necessary)
    Ganfort eye drops for glaucoma

• posted by thepolly
    on

Arrgghh, watching GP’s behind closed doors and just saw a type 2 asking for help to lose weight being told that it’s because he eats too much… So I got onto their facebook page and left the link to this website and said that they could also refer the patient to read ‘the obesity code’. Don’t know if they will refer the patient onto this or indeed if my post will show but I just felt really badly for the poor patient who was also on several drugs including insulin and metformin 🙁

• posted by Bill1954
    on

nannoo, I have only 1 piece of advice for you.
    Get a new doctor, your’s is a disgrace.

• posted by Matrika
    on

Nannoo, You do not need to be insulted by nor responsible for your doctor’s ignorance, you do really deserve a doctor who is better informed and more helpful when you are really trying to get healthy.

As someone else said, change doctors. I hope that is possible for you

I bought myself a spiralizer today…I’m preparing myself for more preparation techniques.

• posted by charliebee38
    on

Hi all,

I’ve not been on here for a while – any comments to my post are gratefully received but I just wanted to share with you my recent experience.

So diagnosed with T2 after 1st child birth 5 years ago – had second child 2 years ago – after loosing 4stone on my own then doing to 800 cal diet, loosing half a stone but now also maintaining this (I now naturally eat about 900/1,000 calories thanks to the diet) and i’m about half a stone off my ideal weight, my BS’s are still high (morning one can be 12, if eat nothing and exercise i can get it to 6!)

So someone (Bill i think it was you) suggested a c-peptide test, paid for that, showed me to have 23mmol insulin which i gather is pretty low. Took it to my doctor, she didn’t have a clue – hospital team rolled their eyes at me when I said I was on this diet. Decided to not be beaten!

Researched and went to see a Functional Practitioner – they are medically trained and often ex NHS consultants or GPs, but they look at your nutrition and lifestyle too, i sat with her for 2 hours and received a report which confirmed what I thought is that I have an auto immune disease (probably developed around university) and now pre type 1 diabetes triggered by having my kids and insulin resistant. Yes it costs money but it’s worth it. She asked me when I suggested this to the diabetic clinic and my GP why they didn’t take me seriously? Because they said, I hasn’t passed out due to lack of insulin, therefore i couldn’t possibly be T1. She was horrified.

So there is a long way to go, I need to have a food intolerance test and perform an exclusion diet (not looking forward to it being a veggie!) as well as a full vitamin test so we can see how we can turn my immune system back on again through a food first approach.

BUT there are things that I should have been tested for by the GP which I’m trying to not get angry about (OK I did, but lets move on!) such as an anti-bodies test, ceoliac and thyroid tests – PLUS I’ve taken myself off the combined pill – to me this is low hanging fruit which could have helped me manage my diabetes earlier – however, it’s done now and I’m seeing i as part of my journey i just wanted to share this with you incase it inspires anyone else to make sure they know what medication they are taking or (and i know alot of people can’t) if you can afford to see a Functional Practitioner I would recommend it!

Lastly, if i hadn’t have over heard a snippet of radio 2 interview with Dr Michael Mosley, I wouldn’t have found this diet when i did and be in the position i am now – so thank you.

Have a great day
    Charlie
    x

• posted by Timmy
    on

Glad you finally know what is up, I hope you manage to get it remedied. I’m a huge fan of food first therapy now.

Like you, I think I flukilly heard that radio 2 snipped! Otherwise I’d still be miserable and contemplating buying a new suit because I was too fat for my current ones. Now I’m almost out of those suits the other way!

Good luck to you

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Peterking, not sure if anyone has answered you as there are one or 2 nurse types on, just like me – ex-nurse, long time ago. The word you need is ketones. It is when the body starts to find its energy from muscle fibre, basically eating itself. Now you have the right word you can google it or look it up on any diabetic site. In severe cases you get ketoacidos, which is serious – look it up.

Quote from Diabetes for Dummies = If you go on a strict diet your body burns some of its fat storage and produces ketones in much the same way it burns fat when you lack insulin……. then comes the science bit, ….. Conclusion. A strict diet can produce ketones and these can be released into your urine (you can buy test strips) but this is not the same as the condition which results in ketoacidosis.

You see, even nurses get confused, and get in a panic when they don’t really know what they are talking about. One is a serious condition the other is the natural process of losing weight. By the way, if you have ever wondered where fat goes, when you diet it is broken down into smaller molecules and is expelled in your urine, which is why a good diet make you pee more.

on

JollyRoger, the Menton lemon festival?? Is that a trip to France for you or do you live there. I ask because I live near Bergerac and wondered if there were any other people from France.

• posted by Timmy
    on

Don’t live in France, but go there at least twice a year and also my brother lives there.

• posted by charliebee38
    on

Thank you Timmy! yes at least we know what we are battling with now and can make a long term plan.

Well done on your weight loss and keep going!

• posted by Jolly Roger
    on

Hi sunshine-girl

We are regular visitors to France and I particularly love the Cote d’Azur (sad events in Nice withstanding) and had a great time in Menton and Villefranche in the last 12 months. However, we are not French residents although there are probably more than you think.
    We have friends who lived near Casteljaloux around which there lived a number of Brits.
    Bon-chance

on

Yes, we are all very sad about Nice. Do try to enjoy your holiday. The French are very resilient and just get on with it, life goes on.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Charlie
    What a tale! Really bad but good you were able to pursue other avenues. Could have been so serious.
    I did a food intolerance diet- it was only rice and lamb for a week, this was with a naturopath. When I then had dairy and then wheat – nasty symptoms of having a heavy cold. So I’ve stayed off them since.
    Good luck with turning your immune system back on.
    Penny

• posted by charliebee38
    on

Thank you Penny!

• posted by RMT
    on

You might not know, but to be confirmed as a diabetic your fasting tests need to be above 6.5% on two separate occasions. The secretary is probably just telling you it’s OK so you don’t panic. Once the second test is done they can confirm the diagnosis.

Please log in or register to post a reply.