Hello :-)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Frog
    on

someone on R4 is talking about mulled white wine – sounds amazing.
    Totally non BSD – well except it involves cinnamon & that’s good for diabetes

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks for that FROG..its v helpful X simplified things for me.
    Igot weighed today in Boots fully dressed and post lunch..at last have broken the 3 stone barrier..the last few pounds seemed terribly slow! So,a m thinking may have lost a bit over 3 stone coz wearing warm clothes and with food and drink in tum! X
    Hows everyoens weekend going?

• posted by Frog
    on

Excellent, well done Yowzer
    I’m similar with the 3 stone – always very nearly there, so I say 3 stone if anyone asks, but not absolutely!

I used my Nordic poles for the first time this afternoon – I found excellent free parking near Hampstead Heath too.
    It was nice an sunny to start with – then stopped for a pot of tea at Kenwood and it started chucking it down, but it was only about 15 minutes back in the rain.
    I was pleased because I got straight back into the rhythm of walking with the poles – amazing how much distance I covered in about an hour, then twenty minutes back to the car.

I stopped on the way home to go to a supermarket, went into a pound shop and found the perfect storage pots for things like sesame seeds and pine nuts, I’ve been looking for ages. Sadly they only had one pack left, and one pot was missing, but I figured they were still good value at 3 for £1.
    There’s also a really cheap clothes store that has 95% complete rubbishy stuff, but I look in from time to time because they also get labels (cut out but you can still work out whose with most of them) like M&S & Esprit. I bought a pair of M&S trousers for £5 instead of £35, and some really nice socks.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Wonderful to get bargains FROG! Trousers sound specially good! 👍🏻 and i LOVE having nice socks! X

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ve just discovered that my mini chopper makes cauliflower rice!
    I’ve made it in the large food processors at the cookery school kitchen (there’s always someone to wash up there!), but at home I’ve always bought it pre-riced. I do have a big food processor, but such a hassle to get it down, but there wasn’t any in this afternoons supermarket.
    My mini chopper has been fine; I had to do it in two separate lots per portion to give it enough space to chop it all small.
    I’ve riced half a cauliflower and will put half of that in the fridge for tomorrow.

Sainsbury’s have started doing riced beetroot which I’m going to try. It’s carbier (9g per 100g), but I think is should look nice mixed in with cauliflower.

• posted by Numi
    on

Very well done on both your three stones Yowzer and Frog, those are fantastic losses.
    Very rainy start to the weekend here but had a nice day out anyway in town which involved plenty of walking. So pleased that I don’t get sore feet after walking like I used to when I was heavier.
    Family visiting for lunch tomorrow. But they like a roast dinner on Sunday so that is quite easy to work around. No potatoes on my plate and I won’t even feel deprived because I never really liked potatoes very much anyway 😄
    Then on Monday I might have a push for extra calorie strictness for a while. I’m only a few pounds away from 3st off myself so I feel quite inspired by other people getting there.
    I really feel that my capacity to eat anything beyond a modest portion has changed. I’ve read people mention that on a few of the threads but hadn’t experienced it much myself until the last week or ten days. Which seems almost strange, given that I have been doing this WOE for slightly more than 15 weeks now and the last 4 or 5 weeks have been at a slower loss/slightly higher calorie type of pace. But I definitely notice a ‘could not face another morsel’ type fullness quite regularly now. Another win I reckon as it would have been much larger quantities to get that reaction at one time 😊

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Good afternoon (here in sunny Queensland) to all. I am coming up 16 weeks tomorrow and have been fiddling around for the past 8 only losing 2 kgs (up and down…..) so still only 8.5 all together. But then I realised I have lost all my post menopausal weight as I had lost 2kg before, and now only have the rest to go. Yowser, Frog and Numi all high fives. Krysia also because you have inspired me to stop fluffing around and start being strict, however I still don’t want bread or cakes, but I would like some pasta and potatoes.

• posted by Numi
    on

Hi Ruthdownunder
    It is strange what we still fancy and what we could happily ignore isn’t it. With me it is bread that I could still imagine I would enjoy. I haven’t tried and according to lots of people they find it makes them feel quite grotty when they do have it. But it still lives in my mind as a tempting food where pasta, cakes and potatoes just don’t have that allure.
    Well done on your current weight loss though. I’ve been doing some faffing around too but like to think that we are certainly on a more healthy path than we used to be. So that is worth giving ourselves a pat on the back for 😊

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Ruthdownunder – I am so envious. It is a really wet morning here in East Anglia in the UK. The rain is seriously heavy

I find find bread is the one thing I imagine I could still enjoy. All the rest don’t have that allure.

Husband has a breadmaker and he sets the timer so that the loaf is freshly baked for breakfast. As the delicious aroma of the baking bread wafts around the house a little battle goes on in my head. Surely organic wholemeal flour can be that bad for you! Luckily the BSD wins as I know that even one slice would massively spike my blood sugars and it is not worth it.

Numi – You are right that we should all give ourselves a pat on the back as we are all on a much healthier path than we were on before.

• posted by tokyo14
    on

where has lucky gone ? and all the fun posts on her thread ?
    COME BACK LUCKY !!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Lucky told us she wont be back for a while for various reasons TOKYO..probably christmastime.
    In the meantime,posts welcome here of all types of sharing! Doesnt have to be funny,folks! But laughs always appreciated,its the best medicine!

• posted by Avila
    on

I came home from work at lunchtime ready to reheat the other portion from last nights meal – I know I should have boxed in into the fridge but lazy and kitchen cold anyway. But after getting the dog’s breakfast I forgot to shut her out of the kitchen. Would love to have a video as she must have reached to the back of the hob to pull the frying pan forward and licked it clean! So lunch was plan B !!

• posted by Frog
    on

Aaaah – maybe she was hungry, or just wanted to compliment your cooking Avila?
    Well at least she enjoyed it and finished it all!
    Froglet is actually pretty good about not stealing things from the kitchen, but I do get cross when she takes something and can’t be bothered to eat it – well, not for long, she does her “aren’t I beautiful stretches and wriggles” until she gets a cuddle.

For me, pasta, rice and potatoes garner no interest whatsoever, but bread and cakes still tick the right boxes – but as long as I can stay in a place where I have them in very modest amounts without them giving me the urge to stuff them uncontrollably, I’m not too worried.

• posted by hectorshousemate
    on

Hello welcome I just joined too and am South Walian. I am one week in and 7 pounds down it definitely works. Must try those wraps I just tried the lettuce taco wraps as feeling very hungry (pre chicken korma later) and they are surprisingly filling and the taste was wonderful. I am savouring every mouthful of food now, the portions are about a third of what I would have normally have,hubbie has lost 2 pounds as well, although he doesn’t need to- must watch that- just made him flapjacks – clean and healthy recipe but will resist those myself ( I hope!)good luck at least we are taking control of food and
    that feels good

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Welcome HECTORSHOUSEMATE! Ilove that name!
    Well done on yr first BSD triumph! A pound a day off! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
    AVILA am glad you had a plan B..RUTH!NUMI and FROG i think its buttery mash i miss most..and occasionally buttery toast! But also an odd feeling of being too full whenever i imagine eating said buttery items! I suppose our tums shrink? X

• posted by hectorshousemate
    on

thank you the stories here are very inspirational xx

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Avila, I am so glad that you kept that dog! I do so remember a wonderful dog we had about 40 years ago when we were young and poor and probably thin. We were entertaining and had laid out cheese and nibbles on our little undercover back deck. Unfortunately down too low!. What was a hunk of cheese to a dog that used to catch the Manly ferry over to Sydney – Circular quay – by himself. We must have all been much less regulated in those days because we could not keep him in our tiny semi-detached garden. He would go over 6 foot walls and he was not huge, just a medium sized mutt. We lost him a a shopping centre once and found him 10 days later. He had been living on a patch of bush – bandicoots perhaps – but a kind couple had fed him for the last 2 days and contacted us. He was pleased to see us.

Yowzer, I forgot about mash, fortunately. I used the recipe out of ‘Pie in the Sky’ for garlic mash and it is fantastic if I say so myself. I love buttered toast also. Maybe next year!

Tokyo, Lucky is busy writing masterpieces.

Jan, are you Ok

Sleep tight all. I am up early

• posted by Frog
    on

yes Avila, where would you be without her (other than eating lunch 🙂 )

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Morning folks x hope all good in the Hood!
    I am about 19 hr thru 24 hr blood pressure monitoring.
    Cuff feels a bit too loose except for every half hour when my arm is clutched in iron grip.
    A pain in the arm,bum and neck,specially overnight when woken hourly by stranglehold! I managed to keep it on tho felt very ready to fling the paraphernalia out of the bed!
    Can have a shower at 1.00 when the whole caboodle can be removed and returned 😄 👍🏻 x hallelujah!
    Good old NHS, i ‘m so grateful, but this 24 hr thing seems a bit medieval,dragging cuff,wires,bag around with me!

• posted by Natalie
    on

OMG I hate those things! So painful. How can you bear it every half hour? And overnight too. Very brave of you.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks NATALIE..trying to be brave but at one ‘inflating’ stage, i admit to being in such discomfort i bit down on the wire that leads from the cuff to the monitor. Was punished for it by an immediate repeat performance reading! Waaaarghhhh! X

• posted by Numi
    on

Fingers crossed that the results are good after all that discomfort Yowzer, hopefully it will give your doc a good view on what needs to happen with your meds.
    So, I had my relaxed (calorie wise) weekend and lost 2lb between Friday morning and Monday morning. Got back to being strict on Monday and gained half a pound by this morning 😄 I know it will all be explainable by water retention or toilet visits or some such and will probably disappear again quickly. I do weigh every day as that just works for me, to keep an eye on myself regularly rather than finding I’ve drifted in the wrong direction for a week. But it just goes to show that we can’t get too hung up on seeing a steady loss. Bodies are strange things which just do as they want
    I love your tale about your naughty dog Avila. Just think of the calories you didn’t have to consume, the dog was really trying to help you out 😉 I used to have a dog who was a total thief. He once pinched an entire chocolate birthday cake intended for a relative’s 80th party and suffered no ill effects despite the fact dogs really shouldn’t have chocolate. Pets do give us a laugh sometimes 😊

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

The body works in mysterious ways NUMI! 😄 Its good you have a philosophical attitude,stands in good stead when plateaus hit! x
    Loved yr doggy story! When i was a kid,a very cheeky cat used to stroll along the back wall carrying a variety of things he’d nicked,usually food related. One time it was a big slab of sandwich cake firmly in his jaws!
    He also had an insolent habit of staring thru neighbours windows,then when they noticed him,he wd turn his back and pee up the window!

• posted by Numi
    on

😄😄 That is certainly a cat with attitude Yowzer

• posted by Frog
    on

that sounds a pain Yowzer, still, at least its done, and hopefully they’ll be able to o a full review of your BP medication.

When I did it a few years back, they said it would be enough without leaving it on overnight – or possibly leaving it on and putting it into sleep mode, I can’t remember now. I just had my cat (Muji, it was pre-Froglet) who first stared and hissed when it started, then started leaping at me or the machine later in the evening – I think she must have disliked the noise it made.
    All resolved by stopping another medication that was supposed to sort out something else, but didn’t, and gave me BP problems too.

Kayaking this morning – lovely and sunny, but cold and very windy. I just thought my paddling technique had improved drastically because I was powering along quite fast – until I turned round and headed back against the wind.
    I bought some neoprene gloves that arrived this morning before I went to the canal – sadly one wasn’t waterproof, which had been the general intention – it is getting cold, lots fewer people than in the summer!
    I also ordered Dentyne online – I don’t use chewing gum often, but always used to like the red Dentyne that you can’t get in the UK anymore. Someone wrote on another thread recently about using it when you have cravings for something else.
    Turns out that the original red one has sugar, so I’ve got a sugar free cinnamon Dentyne called “Fire” – certainly has a kick to it. Six packs of the stuff, so just as well I like it – should keep me going for a while.

One cat we had when I was growing up came back very proudly late one Christmas Eve with a pheasant that my Mum assumed someone had left out to “hang” – he was very pleased with himself!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi FROG! They did say i could take it off overnight if necessary but i wanted to get as many readings as poss.

It IS deffo getting colder and darker isnt it! I remember red Dentyne….it tasted like Lifebuoy soap or what i imagined lifebuoy soap wd taste..but oddly enjoyable!

Oh goodness re the pheasant..someones xmas dinner! They DO look proud when they come back with a gift!
    Ziggy brings in endless pieces of tubing and looks sooooooo pleased! We think he thinks he’s bringing snakes
    home. No idea where he gets it all..and he has stripped every bit of mastic from every door and windowin the house.
    He’s only brought a mouse home once..he put it on the front door mat, hopped over it,and then totally ignored it!
    Well done on the paddling..it must be good exercise! X

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi

I don’t think Oddy had any intention of giving it to any of us – or sharing with our other cats!
    Given that she rarely has unsupervised access outside, Froglet has caught two or three mice when we’ve been on the farm. I was thinking about going again, but they seem to have put the prices up quite dramatically, so I’ve been looking at a couple of alternatives nearby (it’s a converted barn that I rent on a farm on East Sussex, we’ve been half a dozen or so times).

I’ve just had some of sainsbury’s Beetroot rice – it’s nice.
    I mixed it with cauliflower (100g cauli, 40g Beetroot). It looks very nice, and a different texture, makes the rice more moist.
    I think I might try freezing some, as the bag is quite big.

Yes, darker lots earlier. At choir last night, my friend said that last week they’d had an amazing sunset as they were singing, last night it was dark as we arrived; our rehearsals are in a converted church, with huge windows that face east. I went to a fab event where Grayson Perry was speaking last week, so missed choir. The clocks change weekend after next.

• posted by Avila
    on

Hi all,

Been away with work at conference centre for a couple of days – dog with sitters (not kennels as been rehomed twice so triggers stress for her) but she still sulks about it.

I allowed myself permission to be relaxed in the meals, and managed reasonably. On the first meal I went up to get a yogurt and found the tubs were actually mini ice cream pots – decided oh well, and treated myself. read the tub and 15g sugars. This morning at breakfast had an actual yogurt but they were all low fat, I found it insipid to the taste and when I looked up the figures on the pot it was 11g sugar – so the watery yogurt was not far off the sugar of the indulgent treat of toffee ice cream of about the same volume. Why did we ever accept those low fat products as ‘healthy’?

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Avila
    I’m sure she’ll be fine – Froglet has sitters visit her at home, and she is fine with them, but when I get home she’s pleased to see me at first, then remembers its payback time.
    That’s incredible on the yogurt/ice cream – roll on salted caramel ice cream next time I see some!
    I had the low fat Lidl one the other day (at cookery club, no option!) , and it was actually very nice, but it was the plain one – only 4.2g of carb compared to 3.? in the natural full fat one.

• posted by Avila
    on

Was not necessarily advocating the ice cream – more appalled at the low fat yogurt

(don’t want to be blamed for someone’s ice cream crash out! 🙂 😉 )

• posted by Frog
    on

I can do anything with stats to present them in a good light – its only 4 net carbs!
    Had rhubarb this evening – my favourite!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hiiii there buddies x was in Marks yesterday..Purchases:- chicken breasts and roast ham..oh and choccy truffles! Hehe! No no…not for moi…
    Only to add to a pals bday prezzies as they were half price!
    Anyway,heading for the checkout and a young woman asked me where the mini wines were kept..i had a big smile on my face and at same time quickly thinking where they would be..opened my mouth and began to answer and realised she was asking an assistant right behind,and neither of them had even noticed me..slunk off feeling silly 😄😄😄
    Day 100 tomoz for me..bought myself some lovely body wash as a little congratulations to me.
    Marching band,jugglers and tumbling acrobats will be outside my home tomorrow! X

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Yowser luvvy.

Bril well done 👏👏👏🌷🌷🌷😊😊😊🎉🎉🎉🌺🌺🌺🐔🐔🐔😀😀😀👏👏👏😻😻😻

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks JAN and g’ night folks xx

• posted by Frog
    on

Was that the Froglet mini wine Yowzer?

I have forgotten hoe to use my own toaster!!!!
    during the torture of watching GBBO, decided that I have a loaf of that high/low low carb bread in the freezer, and a slice of toast would curb the savarin and fondant fancy craving.
    Ended up with a slice of iffy toast only toasted on one side – had completely forgotten how to work the dualit toaster that I’ve had for about twenty years!!!

• posted by Avila
    on

I am at 86.5kg – heading towards my next mini goal at 86kg – but means I am now at the mid point of the BMI ‘overweight’ range…. so on the downward road to ‘healthy’ 🙂

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Mid range sounds good 👏👏👏👏👏👏

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Good morning and happy weekend soon,BSD pals x
    Sleepless night. Eventually got up and rearranged kitchen cupboards. Suspect thats what kept me awake,coz was lying in bed mentally rearranging them. All spick and span now and a few calories used up before the day has even begun.
    People going past on bus to airport,wish i was going too! Others already on buses to work,cant say i really envy them-Back in bed now with cuppa xx keep smiling everyone! X

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning 🙂

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Morning and good afternoon JAN and all x i hope everything ok Jan ?x
    Ive just been for a walk in the woods,wearing 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 jeans🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 for first time in years
    Now i’ m not saying they looked good,but they fitted,in fact a bit loose..i dont own a belt and had to thread a scarf thru the loops to keep them up! x i felt like going up to dog walkers in the woods and saying Excuse me! Ive got jeans on! 😄😄😄😄 LOOK! Isnt it marvellous!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Yowser woo hoo go girl 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 truly funnily brilliant, so delighted for you luvvy. Here’s to them dropping of. 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🙋🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉💃💃💃💃💃💃

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks JAN…with my two chunky-trunks tho,it wd best if they dropped off in the privacy of my home! Wdnt want to frighten little children! Ive lost a bit off my legs but still a long way to go!
    Night night Jan and everyone,sleep tight x

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Well Yowser luvvy, keep going and they will get less and less, then you will be able to say to the dog walkers, I’ve got slim legs. 💃💃💃sleep well.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi buddies! At last! After a very slow three-plus weeks and only losing about 3 lbs, over the last week have dropped 4 lb..its still working! 👍🏻 Day 103, halfway thru week 15 and lost 46 lbs in total x

• posted by Numi
    on

Wow! Very well done Yowzer 😊 Gives me hope to hear it, I’ve been on more of a plateau week. Hovered downwards roughly half a pound despite careful attention and strictness. I’m looking for a big compensatory bounce in the right direction at some point in the near future. Haha fingers crossed eh! But good on you for your success. It’s great to hear 😊

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

NUMI i feel for you but you WILL get off that plateau X
    Ive survived a few plateaus now and theyre no fun but the feeling when they pass and you see another good drop down is soooo good! Got fingers eyes n legs firmly X ‘ d for you xx

• posted by Numi
    on

Thanks Yowzer 😊 The support on this forum does make all the difference

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Morning!!
    The procrastinator returns….lol

I honestly try and then give in too easily to temptation but am back and trying again…

Yowzer that was funny to read about the jeans…and well done on your weight loss

In fact, well done to all who are losing…once I get the first 3 days out of the way I know I will be ok.

Here’s to a good day for us all. x

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi 1960

Ditto I’m the same but I have been bonkers busy but now reached a bit of serenity so am plunging back in Wednesday will be the end of week 17 have maintained weight loss from week 8 shall we dive in together I’ve got 5 stone more to loose so no more procrastination for moi
    😂😭😳😁😇

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Morning 1960 and JAN and all xx hope youre feeling brighteyed and bushytailed! X
    I am on last day of week 15,Greenjan,and hanging onto the back seat of the bus by my fingernails!
    Going for steak dinner tonight,will swerve the chips and onion rings,just a few mushrooms. Roll on evening! X

Please log in or register to post a reply.