Hello :-)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Night night everyone * yawn* hope the week ahead will be full of good things for everyone 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
    Ps …FROG! Great news on the pants front πŸ‘πŸ» yep was moi whose doctor – who is brilliant! – said my cholesterol was right down despite full fat eating for weeks and that was coz i wasnt eating nasty trans fats any more so dont worry KRYSIA..egg yolks are good for you! X

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Oh Yowser

That’s so kind thankyou.

Re your b.p. It does sound like you are most likely over medicated now, especially if you are on an ace inhibitor, your low carb will be defo affecting the function of that drug, I’m sure it will be easily sorted, do you feel dizzy if you stand up abruptly, or is it all the time.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi frog

Thanks for the kind words, and may your Monday be less wonky.
    πŸ™‚

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi JAN just caught yrmessage as i was climbing into bed.. I have just blown the candles out and said an extra
    little prayer as i did so x
    Yes i’m on perindopril ace inhibitor ..i didnt know it had contraindications with low carb,that might explain a lot!
    Mainly dizzy and nauseous today when i stood up…ok seated,but in the car today ( as passenger) was dizzy and nauseous for most of the journey
    saturday was ok seated but into a hellish scenario whenever i stood up,and i dread it happening again, coz i cdnt even get as far as the kitchen coz the world was whirling round in a terrifying way and everything was going dark.
    I think that was vertigo and i think thats a balance problem isnt it usually caused by ear trouble.
    Feel fine now,like a spring lamb,no dizziness or sickness,on top of the world and hoping for a good sleep!
    Hope you sleep well and deeply xox

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Yowzer, PS – dizziness and lightheadness is the first side effect mentioned for perindopril. I am on 4mg, so if your dose is much higher than that your doc may need to check you.

I do not think it is the low carb, just the fact that you have probably reduced your blood pressure along with your weight. Lots of studies show that weight loss lowers BP, and you have lost a lot of kilos!

Look up perindopril on google. I want to come off my small dose cos it makes me cough

Hope it sorts

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks RUTH i’m on4 mgs too and have been for a long time ..i feel for you re the cough coz i have it too…dry cough is also listed as side effect of perindopril
    other health probs i have make me dizzy and a bit disorientated at times, but yesterday was scary..i hope thats a one off ! X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Just back from GP appt..tho cdnt see my usual doc… re dizziness / nausea/ lightheadedness since Saturday
    My bp was fine,Doc cdnt see any prob in ears except some wax in right ear. Thinks low carb diet is a good thing and unlikely to make me so dizzy/ nauseous. Gave me some tablets,l
    So we’ ll see.said come back if tablets dont help. …oh well, a few more symptoms to add to the long list!
    (has prescribed stemetil which ive looked up and is for vertigo,dizziness,nausea in small dose..in large dose for psychiatric illnesses)
    Hope everybody having a good Monday !
    XXX

• posted by Antigone
    on

Hope the meds get you sorted Yowzer. I had Labyrinthitis back in January and then had meds like yours which seemed to do the trick πŸ™‚ Hopefully the nausea is stopping you from comfort eating? It is horrible to be dizzy and faint so I hope you are soon better πŸ™‚

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks for that ANTIGONE! So glad you recovered coz its not nice at all is it!
    Youve given me hope that this med will work for me! X
    Amazingly for me,i havent been comfort eating..normally at first sign of stress – even with nausea – i will want to eat something!! Convinced it will help! -My head usually goes straight into the food cupboards and I’ m drawing a chair up to the fridge! But i am a reformed character now teehee!πŸ˜„ My Carb Monster and my Inner Chimp are stamping their feet with rage!..they cant believe how ive changed and they dont like it hahaha! X

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi yowzer
    glad that you got an appointment OK – and had your mind set at rest re blood pressure meds
    Hope the tablets work – still a bit odd to not know what the cause is – hope the work & you start to feel better soon

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi FROG doc thinks most likely an ear infection which will go in its own time and in meantime,the meds will help with dizziness etc Hope it goes soon coz have enough ailments without this grrrrr…
    Night folks,sweet dreams xx

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Hiya

feel I needed to stop by…

Good to see Lucky pop in, you have to do whats right for you hun but understand.

Yowzer, hope today sees you feeling much better…

Me? need to stop setting off and giving up halfway thru a day….grrrrr

I cant believe how hard it is for me re starting this woe when it works and isn’t really a problem…

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Yowzer
    must be a relief to have a solution – hope that you feel fine when the meds kick in

Hi Jan – are you there?
    Hoe that your sons appointment went well on Monday.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thank you 1960 and FROG..these tablets seem to be helping by taking away dizziness and nausea at least for a while!
    I too was hoping to see JAN here ..hope all went ok on Monday X call in when you can x
    1960 ..at least you start the day withbest intentions.. sometimes its just not the right time..maybe theres too much else going on..you could always just do the Med diet for now x

• posted by ButterflyMoves
    on

Hello Lucky Maneki, and thanks for this thread, your writing is awesome and hilarious, look forward to hearing more!

Thanks also for the chickpea pancake link… am going to try that NOW. πŸ™‚

• posted by Avila
    on

Hi 1960 – I am struggling to get back in the rhythm too. But getting lots of comments as I see people after a while so still celebrating the 2 st loss even if not getting any further for now.

Today wandered into Asda when on way home from a job the other side of town – they were having a clothing clearance and included some keep fit stuff – at those prices It was worth trying, and I fit in, and don’t look horrendous even though lycra! So at my next Parkrun, when I get a saturday I can go, I can look like I belong.

So need to get focused again to finish the job…

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi yowser luvvy

How are you now, sorry haven’t caught up with all the missed emails. πŸ™‚

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Yowser.

Just seen your response to my question re your dizziness if you stand up, that indicates, your medication is not required at the dose it is set, so it is bringing down your blood pressure below what is needed, so side effect of that is dizziness, hence the blackness etc, it’s like a faint, and that effects your balance so causing sickness.. Stemetil is okay, but it’s most likely you need your b.p. Meds reduced or removed, do you have a practise nurse you can go and see they are very often more experienced in these matters, and have more time to listen.
    I can understand the locum doc, didn’t want to mess with another Drs finely tuned b.p. Meds, as they take a long time to get properly sorted, but your weight loss, means there is a lot less of you for the meds to work on, so their effect is now more concentrated, and also again as you have lost weight, your natural b.p. Measurement will have reduced.
    It won’t harm you to do nothing, but you will feel more settled, if you get it looked at, again as taking Stemetil isn’t the solution, just a plaster to stop the symptoms. But hey how wonderful, another amazing BSD stat of its wonderful ness as getting our bodies back to the original package. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Howdy JAN,I think you’re right x my GPs arranged for me to do a 24hrBp reading next Monday..have to go and have a monitor fitted and wear it 24 hrs..not sure what i do about getting a shower coz the appt letter says dont get the monitor wet! Also supposed to clip it to my belt – which i dont possess! Tho now ive lost about 8″ from my waist perhaps i shd buy one. will take the Stemetil until my 24 hr bp results coz its making me feel firmly planted on solid ground,which feels great x
    How are you my old buddy..i hope things are improving. Thinking of you x

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Yowser.

Good to hear things are being sorted for you, and you are feeling a bit better. Yep things for me are all good again, been to hell and back, but alls manageable, and that’s great.

So back on it now the plan that is, my carb monster has been given free rein lately, so it’s chasing me down the road at the mo, until it gets reined back in.😈😈😈 so doing a lot of averting the eyes at the mo, going to have chicken and lentils for dinner, to give me something substantial to eat. How’s your weight loss going. 🌷

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Ohhh JAN thats such excellent news! 🎈🎈🌸🎈🌸🎈🌸🎈
    If i could do a cartwheel i would! So sorry youve had a bad time of it tho 😐

Well the ol’ Carb Monster is always looking for a chance to get back in,and adverse times are her favourite time coz she knows we’ll be tempted then! Dont let her catch you – we’re safe long as we stay on the back of the bus.Watch out for yr Inner Chimp too coz he is always gettin into mischief and is in cahoots with CM!

Havent been weighed for over a week..hoping to do so over next few days and perhaps have crashed the 3 stone barrier! X wooooooohoooooooo i LOVE this way of eating and all the fab folk on here! X

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Owwww Yowser

You are such a darling, I love this plan too and especially all our BSD buddies. πŸŒ·πŸ’ƒπŸŒ·πŸ’ƒπŸŒ·πŸ’ƒπŸŒ·πŸ’ƒπŸŒ· just need to bat the c. Monster and the inner chimp hehehe away heheheh

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Jan – glad that it was good news from the appointment on Monday

Yowzer – if your GP practice is anything like as busy as mine, find out how long it takes for the 24 hour reading results to get back to the GP, and schedule in an appointment to discuss them if you don’t have one already.

Feeling very very stuffed – went to a Vegan Ethiopian Cookery class this evening – amazing food. Most of it fairly low carb – I will work out the calories, carbs etc and post some recipes here when I have time. Several pots of left over nice curry and veg in the fridge too.
    A staple of Ethiopian food is a bread/pancake thing called injera, made with Teff flour – didn’t eat a whole one, but tasted some – not that different to good old gram flour pancakes.
    No on was vegan, so we had yogurt with it -tasted amazing, and turned out to be from lidl – seems to have even fewer carbs than fage.
    Froglet is cross because I’ve been out all day, and she keeps biting my feet, so I’m going to go to bed and watch GBBO while I am too full to be remotely tempted to eat anything, and my feet will be safely under the duvet.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

FROG whats got into the cats! Ziggys been very naughty yesterday and today!
    Yep i made appt with my GP soon as i got 24 hr bp date..earliest i could get was 3 Nov,as she is very popular.
    I’ m sure she’ll phone me before then if she has the results tho, as she always goes the extra mile
    Ive heard before that Lidl yog is yummy and cheaper than Fage..i must try it!
    I saw an Ethiopian food stall recently at a market and my friend had some Ethiopian stew but i cant remember the name..dor…or doro? Said was lovely.
    Night everybody ..sweet dreamzzzzzzzzzzz xx

• posted by Numi
    on

Hi to all the lovely people on this delightful, lighthearted thread. I’m a bit of a forum ‘lurker’, often dipping in to various threads for a bit of inspiration or encouragement but rarely working up the courage to contribute. But having been binge reading this fun thread for several days now I feel I at least have to say thanks. It’s been like a mini soap opera (which I never watch tbh), getting to know all the ‘characters’ who post and silently cheering along all their successes weight and health and temptation resistance wise. Worrying for the people going through troubled times and taking on board all the snippets of wisdom and fascinating asides. I’d never heard of NaNoWriMo for instance and am very tempted to give that a go now that Lucky has brought it to my attention. And swimming between islands for a holiday which Timmy mentioned way back, what a fantastic idea, I know at least two other people who would love to do that 😊. Still tottering along on the weight loss journey myself, three pounds away from having lost 20% of my starting body weight which feels like quite a landmark. And just recently went into the ‘merely’ overweight category of BMI. So although I’m no longer being super strict on calories, the good, low carb diet is still doing it. Just a little slower which is fine for me and stops my husband joking (worrying) that I am ‘fading away’. Not sure there is any danger of someone who is still nearly 11 and a half stone actually disappearing any time soon. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„ but nice to be cared about

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi NUMI and welcome..this is my fave thread too! X i love all of them tho,coz this is a great place for friendship andmutual support,so i’ m glad you’ve jumped in after lurking awhile..the more the merrier!
    Well done on yr weight loss and getting down into the merely overweight category! X πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

• posted by Numi
    on

Thanks Yowzer, and I hope your unpleasant dizzy symptoms are improving. And that they turn out to be nothing more than the fact you need to come off your bp meds, I’m guessing you would be thrilled to get off tablets. I think I remember reading somewhere else that you started about the same time as me, June 29th? Or am I getting confused? It is certainly a life changer and while I could wish that I’d known about this WOE about twenty years ago so that I hadn’t had to spend so long hating my figure, I am delighted to be one of the fortunate people who has discovered it in time to stop the rot, as it were, from going any further. I feel younger than I have done for such a long time. I really understand your comments about feeling as though there is a big mental aversion to lots of the refined carb foods. That is how it feels for me too, a sort of sense of ‘who would even put that in their mouth’. Doesn’t always work, (chocolate at ‘that’ time of the month still seems tempting although I’ve resisted so far) but it is a useful reaction which helps me out loads of the time 😊

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Yehthanks NUMI the medication is really helping..ive been slightly dizzy/disorientated for years due to other health probs,and its wonderful to actually at last feel like i am solidly and firmly on the ground! Wdnt mind staying on them long term – but wd love to reduce my bp meds, fingers crossed.
    I think i started a bit after you..july 13 ish..am on day 93 week 14! Me too,just wish i knew about BSD soooooo long ago..wd have saved a lot of yoyo dieting. I love the feeling of being so distanced from bread,cakes,biccies..the things that ruled me..i was under the iron rule of the Carb Monster for so long!
    Have Kicked the Carbs to the Kerb and it feels good!
    TOTM choccy tho…you HAVE to have it then!..its the law! Well, everyone needssomething to get thru those days!
    XX

• posted by Numi
    on

Ah well, now that I have your permission Yowzer, I’ll know what to do next time I’m tempted 😜
    So pleased to hear that the tablets are helping you feel a bit better 😊
    And it was an iron rule wasn’t it! That’s what makes it feel a bit miraculous to be free to eat infrequently and only when genuinely hungry. I haven’t had this relationship with food since the first time I was pregnant

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ve loaded a couple of the Ethiopian recipes from yesterday – the lentil one is carbier than I thought.
    I got the nutrition from loading the recipes into Fat Secret, then just copying and pasting here.
    There were lots of differing database entries for lentil nutrients, (and the recipe was in cups) not 100% certain I’ve got it right.

I’ll post the veg and salad ones another day!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Numi

I’m also a June the 29ther that was a good day wasn’t it, currently doing a reboot to get to 3 st down, as I’ve faffed around for about 7 of all those weeks. 😬😬😬 how are you doing.
    πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Yowser what on earth does totm mean re chocolate

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Jan
    I was confused – searching thru other posts I think TOTM is “that time of the month”

• posted by Numi
    on

Hi Greenjanet, I knew there was someone who had started at the same time as me. I’m not surprised I got you and Yowzer mixed up, you both have the same lovely positive attitude.
    I’m doing well, thank you. Like you I seem to have had a bit of faffing around time. I was feeling a bit disgusted with myself about not sticking so closely to the 800 calories when I first started my faffing. But then realised that I was still losing, just more slowly, and that my choices were staying pretty reliably good. So I’m feeling much more relaxed about it all now. I keep on having days where I push to be more strict and days where I just go with the flow and I’m starting to trust my own instincts more. I try very hard not to get stuck in the ‘oh no, I could have lost much more if I’d stayed stricter’ trap. As I look at it, I’m going to be eating like this for the rest of my days so I have to learn to balance it up instinctively. Sorry, I’m sure you didn’t want an essay πŸ˜„
    I hope you are feeling good about your progress at the moment too 😊

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Sorry NUMI and folks! I thought TOTM was in common usage here,but i think actually its over on the fast day forum..
    Also known as Aunt Flo or having the painters in..sorry if thats TMI ( too much information!)
    Choc is deffo needed at such times! XX
    Night night and sleep sweet everyone xx

🌸🌻🌸🌻 when it rains,look for rainbows..when it’s dark,look for stars 🌸⭐️🌸⭐️

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Ps just recalled a funny true story..many years ago i had a colleague who used to own a wool shop. One misty winter evening,she was closing up at teatime and to her shock horror,her nine year old son appeared in the doorway,wrapped up warmly in his coat and gloves,but with a sanitary towel across his face and hooked over his ears.
    He explained,its foggy MUm,so i borrowed this scarf out of yr drawer.! πŸ˜„

• posted by Numi
    on

πŸ˜„ got it on the euphemisms. Great little story. Sleep well Yowzer

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

FROG was it you who mentioned Lidl greek yog? I got some today,think it was 1.38 for a kilo tub
    I pay 2.45 in tesco for 500g total fage! And the Lidll tub is twice the size! Slightly higher in cals but lower in carbs …
    Total 95 cals per 100g,4g carb
    Lidl 122 cals per 100 g,3g carb
    Lidl isnt quite as thick but is pretty thick like a ” yippee its Mr Whippy”ice cream. Havent got a close by Lidl so cant buy it all the time but will deffo go back for more x

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Yowzer
    Don’t stick a chocolate flake in it!
    Yes, I had it the other day at the Ethiopian cookery evening – didn’t know where it was from initially, but everyone agreed it was really good (and I think that was the low fat version)
    I bought some today too – haven’t tried it yet. Like you, I don;t have a particularly close Lidl – but a litre lasts me for ages

I got some really nice walnuts there too – not something I often buy, but seemed good value at less than Β£2
    scarily moreish with cheese!

• posted by Avila
    on

Hi all,

I have been weight stable, stress stuff and lack of willpower – and yes it is the drinking that does it (shame moment).

But still had another victory today – even if potentially embarrassing – walking the dog and decided to run for a bit…. and my lovely comfy elastic waist trousers started falling down flashing the top of my granny pants!! Quick grab and stuck to walking the rest of the way…

Hoping to try Parkrun again tomorrow if I can get everything else sorted ready for my community event from midmorning. New Asda sale kit and may take the dog too as that is allowed and may give a safe ‘chase’ outlet for her, I have a harness with bungee cord so not pulling against collar etc.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

FROG i LOVE walnuts and brazils..i usually have almonds tho,but i bought some today in the market and theyre very dry
    Is a litre same as a kilo? I have no idea how to convert stuff.what are cups all about?πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„
    I think youre quite mathematically minded so perhaps you can help me! X
    AVILA flashing yr pants ! πŸ™‚ You little hussy ..haha just joking! Congrats on loose trousers and on runningπŸ‘πŸ»
    I bet yr darling doggy will love it! X

• posted by Numi
    on

I’m a big fan of the Aldi ‘authentic’ Greek yoghurt. Same shape tub as the fage one and much cheaper than the branded stuff at Β£1.29 for the 500g. But not quite such a bargain as the Lidl one! I’ll have to look out for that. Did I see you say you’d only had a smallish loss this week, Yowzer? It seemed to come up on my email but then not show up here on the thread… odd. Anyway, if that’s the case, I hope you aren’t letting it get you down. You’ll see more satisfying losses soon I’m sure 😊

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi NUMI how you doing! yeh only two pound down in 3 weeks but i guess its just another dreaded plateau..had one around week2/3
    Not too worried,sh*t happens! Thanks for yr concern x
    I posted it over on the weigh in thread
    Yeah deffo try the Lidl yog, a real bargain. You cant be vexed at that as my friends mum used to sayπŸ˜„
    You might be temptd to stick a choc flake in it tho like FROG said coz its jsut like ice cream! lubbly jubbly! πŸ˜‹
    Something for us all to bear in mind…
    REMEMBER HOW FAR YOU’ VE COME,NOT JUST HOW FAR YOU HAVE TO GO
    YOU ARE NOT WHERE YOU WANT TO BE, BUT NEITHER ARE YOU WHERE YOU USED TO BE
    🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸

• posted by Natalie
    on

I make my own yoghurt with a Easiyo kit. The Greek style works out to 82cal 7g carbs for 100g so it’s lower cal than the two you mentioned but higher carb. You just put a sachet with water in the thermos thing and it makes itself. Thick and delicious. And I can be certain that the yoghurt cultures are fresh and still alive.

Actually I save a lot of money by putting a couple a tablespoons of the sachet (which is yoghurt cultures with powdered milk) with 300 g normal powdered milk. A lot cheaper, and it still works. The sachet keeps forever in the freezer and makes lots of pots.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Ps Apart from CAPTAINLYNNE! heehee..doesnt apply to you LYNNE or anyone else who is now at goal πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ» xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

NATALIE I had no idea it was so simple! Will give that a go..so,you dont need use the whole sachet if you mix with powdered milk instead of water,and it keeps ok in the freezer once its opened?
    Thanks for the heads up! X

• posted by Numi
    on

I’ll get one to have with my TOTM choccy which you said I was allowed to have then? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜„. Yep those plateaus are had to put up with, it’s just great that we have this forum to exchange info on, so that we know that they are a common, normal experience and don’t panic too much 😊

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh yeah NUMI! a TOTM flake is allowed ..choc can stop you doing something a bit violent when you get those PMT mood swings! X

• posted by Numi
    on

πŸ˜„ marvellous

• posted by Frog
    on

hi Yowzer
    a liter is the same as a kilo if its very liquid – so water or equivalent it is, and something like milk probably not too far off, but denser liquids will weigh more

I find cups a bit of a nightmare – a cup of water is about 240ml, so I generally hold it in my head as quarter of a litre. but with more dense liquids, like oil, I just google (or with oil, use as little as I think I can get away with).
    One of the reasons for using fatsecret rather than MFP is that there are very few entries where the only unit of measurement is a cup.

BTW – Fatsecret did confirm to me by email the other day that the net carbs (ie carbs excluding fibre) that is standard in the UK doesn’t quite work on Fatsecret UK. If a food has less grams of fibre than carbs (which is the case with most things), it isn’t a problem.
    If you have food with more fibre than carbs, you can’t enter it correctly in the database (there is an error message that the total carbs must be more than the fibre – or “Fiber” πŸ™‚ .
    I think in the US, fibre as part of the carbs must be stated as sugar is on our labels – Total carbs X, of which sugars Y.

So – Fatsecret has a UK badged site, but not 100% thought through – they’re “working on it” allegedly

Please log in or register to post a reply.