Getting worried!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sophie99
    on

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker here. I’m onto week 4 of the blood sugar diet and until this past weekend I have stuck 100% rigidly to the plan – I haven’t gone over 800 calories once and stick to 30g carbs or below, keep my protein in check, get plenty of healthy fats and drink lots of water. I weigh absolutely everything including lettuce and the almond milk in my tea haha!

Anyway, this last weekend I was staying with my parents so I knew I wouldn’t be able to weigh every single thing or be as strict. I estimated as best I could on MyFitnessPal still and I reckon I ate around 900-1000 calories on the two days I was home and still under 30g carbs. I’m proud to say I didn’t eat anything I shouldn’t have despite plenty of temptation, just larger portions of my usual foods.

So I step on the scales and I’ve put on 1.5lb. This is the first time I’ve gained on the diet. No disaster by any means but it’s got me thinking…
    Surely eating 1000 calories of the ‘right’ food should be low enough for me to maintain rather than gain weight? It’s got me a bit worried about what will happen when the 8 weeks is over and I begin to increase calories.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, my resolve has taken a bit of a hit at the prospect of never being able to eat more than 800 calories!

• posted by Verano
    on

Sophie don’t worry too much. We do have natural fluctuations and also most of us find that our ‘guesstimates’ are just that, usually way out! Try guesstimating a portion of something and then weighing it. My guess is you will actually guess under the real weight most times. Anyway just get back to Your plan we have to live life and it’s not always possible or practical to weigh all our food. Don’t worry in time when you have reached your goal you can experiment until you find a level that keeps you on an even keel.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sophie99, did alcohol play a role in your weekend away? I ask this, because I forfeited wine
    for the 10 months it took to lose 50% of my body weight, with exception of 2 holidays. On
    each of those occasions I gained 1.5lbs, and it took an entire week to shift it. I kept an eye
    on the calories, and I’m sure the wine was counted in to my totals. Perhaps your body retains
    fluid in like manner? Just a thought! 🙂

Allie

• posted by Squidge
    on

You estimated the 1,000 calories – it’s really hard to do that accurately, so maybe it was actually more?

Having said that 1,5 lb isn’t much. I find that my weight can go up or down by twice that from one day to the next. If the overall trend is down, I don’t think you should worry too much.

• posted by Sophie99
    on

Interesting point alliecat, I did have a single vodka and soda which I included in my calorie count but might well have something to do with it!

Please log in or register to post a reply.