Getting Enough Fibre

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Hi. I’m on day 4. Going really well 1/2 stone down (I know probably just water), but my concern is that in comparison to normal , my fibre is very low. I track my food usually on My Fitness Pal so have continued. I’m not eating the quantity of veg that I usually eat. Still lots of variety and all the lower carb types. What have other people found? I usually add oat bran to my morning food but have stopped this due to the high carb content. Any thoughts?

• posted by neohdiver
    on

I’ve been eating low carb @1200 calories using MFP for most of a year. The difference between MFP and the BSD, for me, is that I drop 400 calories of fat. I still eat quite a bit of fiber (30-40 grams most days).

Formally, the BSD doesn’t restrict carbs – they are to be considered side dishes, rather than the main event, and should be made up of high quality carbs (with lots of above ground veggies & fiber and few or no simple starches). Some of the recipes in the book are a bit too high carb for me – so I still count carbs and calories to make sure the higher carbs don’t mess with my blood glucose levels.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hi Timetochange,

I’m not finding it that difficult to maintain relatively good fibre content on this diet. I see that you’re still eating lower carb veg – do you also include things like chickpeas, quinoa and nuts (think almonds are good for fibre)? Maybe try to include some of them where you can and see if that boosts your fibre levels.

Please log in or register to post a reply.