Gearing up for April/May

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MerryMary
    on

Hi all, I have been reading posts on the forum and am so inspired by all of you. Thankyou so much for the laughs and for helping me find the courage to commence the BSD. Most of all thankyou to Dr Michael Mosley who I was lucky enough to meet recently when he visited our city on his book promotional tour. As a registered nurse and midwife, I just hope and pray that your work is truly taken notice of in the medical world so that we can turn this sugar addictive pandemic around across the globe.

That brings me to me! I have read the 5:2 fast diet book and am half way through the Blood Sugar Diet book….I am a shift working health professional who has struggled to maintain my weight my whole life. I am not morbidly obese, but I am not blessed with great height either and therefore am basically short and dumpy ๐Ÿ™‚ I could run a weight loss clinic, I know so much about GI and various weight control programs such as WW etc. but I have never been able to consistently maintain a slim weight, and have slipped back into easy carbs eating all too often. I am now staring down the barrel at 60 in the next few years, and arthritis, oesphogeal reflux and chronic tiredness are creeping in. My BSL is in normal range although I have not done a GTT and I do have signs and symptoms of Syndrome X or metabolic syndrome. I am post menopausal and have an apple shaped body and am carrying too much weight around my middle. My parents died in their 50’s of heart disease, one brother has had a quadruple heart bypass at age 63, one sister a triple heart bypass in her 50’s, and is now a Type 2 diabetic. My cholesterol, tryglicerides, and liver enzymes are climbing and yet still I have not found a way to get myself in gear to permanently get my body under control…. Until now. I really believe that Michael Mosley has found the answer for me. I just have to implement the strategies, and hope the motivation flows from there. And that is where all of you come in. Cause even though I am a reasonably intelligent person, when it comes to emotional eating; tired crazy shift work schedules, and mental strength, I fall over time and time again.

My plan is to build up to starting the BSD for the 8 weeks 800 calories per day program commencing 1st April (April Fools Day!! :-)) I have followed the 5:2 plan for a couple of months about 12 months ago and lost 4 kgs on it until slackness crept in. I am so tired all the time when I am not working, and I so hope that my energy levels increase so that the motivation flows from there. I am on night shifts (which don’t help) over Easter and then am on days off until beginning April. I want to stock up with the right ingredients and pre prepare some meals so that I am ready to go. So if anyone can offer me any suggestions with recipes or just some tips on how to get through the first few days/weeks I would much appreciate it?? My 35th wedding anniversary is 30th May and I am so hoping that I am feeling like a whole new person physically and mentally by then. I look forward to sharing with you all from here in Brisbane, Australia.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Merrymary, you are very welcome here! You clearly have some real challenges to deal with but also you have a great attitude which will give you great strength for your weight loss journey. This is no fad diet, its not magic and its not based on any one product that is supposed to work wonders (and never does!). You will read many comments here about how surprisingly easy it is. And it really is! The hardest part seems to be getting your head around the whole concept and then getting organised. We often boil it down to some simple rules; cut the carbs to 20-50grams per day, stick to around 800 cals (but a few more won’t derail you), get more fat than you are probably used to – butter, olive oil, skin on your chicken etc (yes, really!), drink around 2-3 litres a day of water.

If you can do these things – and we are the proof that you can – you will do very well on this program and you will see results very quickly indeed. We have a good contingent of australians and english people using the site so whether you are on nights or days there will always be someone to speak to in real time. And then we have loads of other people living all around the world which just blows my mind. Whatever you need to know or whatever you need help with, someone here will be able to help. So I wish you a brilliant first week from April Fool’s Day onwards and make sure you let us know all about your progress.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi MerryMary. Welcome to the BSD family.

It really is surprisingly easy, and gives great results. Just forget about WW, other slimming clubs and low-fat diets. Enjoy eating full-fat foods again ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Jump in on 1st April, but keep us posted on your progress. Looking forward to reading your brilliant results.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Good luck with it, MerryMary.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Welcome merrymary, you won’t regret your decision. This is far easier than the 5:2! You may feel a bit hungry the first few days but then you find you are satisfied with the 800 calories ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by alexginda
    on

Also starting BSD properly on 1st April – usually the time of year I make my resolutions rather than in January! Followed 5:2 last year and just feel like more of a challenge. Much healthier but want to stay that way especially with regards to potential thyroid and metabolic syndrome symptoms. So, this week I am reading and rereading this website, clearing out the cupboards and fridge/freezer and stocking up on good food!

• posted by MerryMary
    on

Hi alexginda,
    Looks like we will be on the same journey BSD0104 ๐Ÿ˜Š I am shopping tomorrow for food and will make some soup. I am nervous after a carb filled Easter. Didn’t eat big portions but everything I ate was wrong. I so need this challenge. I really want to get back to a place of self motivation in the kitchen. Feeling fearfully optimistic ๐Ÿ˜

• posted by MerryMary
    on

Hi all, well I have begun the 8 week challenge of the BSD!! 2 days down and feeling great! Peeing like never before so clearly losing some fluid. I’m not going to weight myself till tomorrow. I figure twice a week is enough without getting too paranoid. I will switch to once a week as time goes on. I cleared out the cupboards of anything tempting but my head is in the right place now so I’m very motivated. Something I have done to help with shift work and to get through the first week is order fresh “Clean and Lean” Youfoodz meals dor dinners. It is a company here in Australia that delivers to your door in an ice packed esky cooler. They aren’t frozen so low in sodium and meals are great like poached chicken and asparagus and quinoa salad. Small portion sizes too. Average calories per serve is 350 so a good dinner amount. I made a slow cooker full of my very low calorie chicken soup too so that is helping for work lunches.
    If anyone has good ideas for easy quick recipes I am open to suggestions??
    It’s so good knowing there is support here. Hope everyone is well? MM xo

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi MerryMary, I also commenced BSD 800 on April 1. So far, so good. I got REALLY hungry yesterday and everytime I wanted to eat outside of BSD guidelines I reached for water. The water (and the many trips to the loo) distracted me enough to stick to the 800! I weighed myself today: 1kg down and 1cm down on waist circumference. Still a long way to go but very motivating results. It’s great to be on this journey with you.

• posted by Desperate
    on

Hi MerryMary,

I too am in Australia and have started the BSD today, 3rd April. We are going on an overseas trip in eight weeks and I want to hop on the plane much lighter, smaller and fitter than I am today. Like you I am height challenged and before menopause was reasonably OK at 60 kilos but since then my weight has just slowly crept up and up and I am now at 66 years of age 13kilos heavier with a fat tummy and high cholesterol. I thought when I retired I would be able to take it off but have failed dismally.
    Despite walking every day, doing yoga and gardening lots I still puff whenever I walk up hills and overheat really easily. Am scared that I will just have a heart attack and die in five years time as did my aunt.
    I have tried every diet known to woman and have always found low carb worked but its just not doing the trick anymore. Fine for maintenance but not losing weight. On the 5:2 I lose on the fast day and within a day or two have crept up again.I like alcohol more than I should and find if I drink wine before I know it I am reaching for the chocolate….so no alcohol for 8 weeks. Have joined the gym and am feeling very committed. I want my healthy fit body back again.
    Would love to know if any one has any delicious fish recipes.

• posted by nikkioaks
    on

Hi MerryMary

great to hear your story. I wasn’t around when they handed out height either, and am also enjoying autumn days of 32ยบ.

Sounds like you’ve done some great preparation, and I think that’ll really help when you’re tired and coming off night shifts. A quick trick I’ve used is an “antipasto” type plate with a couple of slices of salami, a few cubes of feta, some olives and chunks of capsicum, tomato, cucumber – whatever I can find in the fridge, and found it surprisingly effective.

Remember when you fall off, and I’d guess most of us do, get back on. It gets easier with practice. And do use the forums – there’s lots of support, at all times of day or night. I was sure this morning I wanted cake with my coffee, but checked on the forums before I went out and had just the coffee. Also walked past the chocolate and yummy cup cake shop!!

so good luck, and keep posting. lots of us will be glad to hear of your ups, and downs, and ups again.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi desperate, no other diet has worked for me, at all. This one is different.

Have you been tested for hypothyroidism? It is a common cause of weight gain and cause you to be breathless.
    I would also ask to have your peak flow measured in case you are asthmatic. I have post menopausal onset asthma. It’s not as rare as you may think.
    Have you also had a Fsb test done.

Those tests could put your mind at rest.

Fish:. I. Always foil. Wrap mine and add what I fancy – any herb/spice, lemon, soy sauce, fresh ginger root, chilli, onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, courgettes. Etc

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

A big BSD hello to all you new starters.
    You have all taken the first steps on this exciting journey to a whole new healthy lifestyle.
    You will all have doubts and lots of questions, there will be slip ups and accidents along the way but remember, you are not alone.
    The path is becoming well trodden now and those who have went before have left a rich legacy of tips, information, recipes, and lots of fun.
    There is always someone available to help out on these forums, they really are global now and growing every day.
    Stick to the simple concepts, 50 g carbs or less per day, eat more fat and get plenty of fluids into your bodies and this time next week we will all be celebrating your successes along pith you.

• posted by Magpiemag
    on

Hello all! I’m so looking forward to this!

I’ve just bought the book having researched various ways of getting off the 40 year diet unmerrygoround which has resulted in yet more weight gain and a scary lack of motivation to do anything about it. I’m not diagnosed as diabetic but type 2 runs in the family. I’m 56 with a stressful, sedentary job and the weight is just piling on. My parents (one is T2) are on such a cocktail of medications which seem to rule their lives and I’m sure some of them are just dished out because they are old! Actually they are only in their 70s and I am determined that when I’m at that age I won’t think of myself as old.

The bottom line is I have a lot of weight to lose, am a diehard coach potato, am vegetarian and at risk of diabetes if I don’t do something about it now. I certainly don’t ever want to have to visit the doctor at the alarming rate my parents do! This approach appeals to me as it addresses the mental and physical sides of wellbeing and there’s lots of stuff for veggies. My freezer and cupboards are ready to go and Day 1 is tomorrow. I’m always happy to chat to people on the same journey as I think that helping each other is key. I’m hoping to be able to report some great success very soon ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi magpiemag, you sound so organized and motivated! This really will shift the weight and improve your health. I would recommend buying a pedometer – it really helps clock up the steps. If I am low I go up and down the stairs a few times., or wander up and down the garden. I’ve even been know to drive to a large supermarket in bad weather just because it is easy to clock up a lot of steps going up and down every aisle!!

Start making lots of soups for the freezer, they are a godsend on busy days. Don’t forget to add cheese of FF yoghurt to them – or plenty of olive oil. Try the Fage Total yoghurt (not the 0%), it’s yummy.

Looking forward to your successes and keep posting! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

PS magpiemag – you may be able to persuade you parents to try this diet when they see it working for you. That would be awesome!! 70’s isn’t old these days. My dad is 90 and doesn’t think of himself as old ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Magpie, welcome. My Mum is a young 75 year old who now has heaps of energy, has only 0.3% to go on her HbA1c to be in the non diabetic range. She has lowered her cholesterol to the point of not needing statins. Her BP is great and she lost 8kg on the fast 800. She averages over 12,000 steps per day, often 15,000. Your parents could do it too, and once they see your success they’ll be motivated to have a go.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow, cherrianne, I didn’t realise your mum was doing it too! Amazing results for her too! Fantastic! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Magpiemag
    on

Thank you, hashimoto and Cherrianne, your quick responses are really appreciated. I forgot to say that my dad had a stroke 8 years ago and it is since then my mum has become harder to motivate to look after herself. Dad is quite active for a person who is paralysed down one side but my mum is causing me so much concern. She barely moves and I’ve tried so many different ways to help her but she has just given up. At 78 – and as my dad’s carer – it’s very worrying. She refuses all suggestions of support and is increasingly difficult. It is adding considerably to my own stress levels and so, as you have suggested, the best way is to lead by example.

You are both so encouraging. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Mag, I’m so sorry to hear that. Perhaps you should phone her GP to discuss it with him/her as what you are describing is concerning. ๐Ÿ™ Good on your dad for trying to stay active. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Magpiemag
    on

Thanks, hashimoto, I hadn’t thought of talking to her GP. That could be the way forward as any suggestions from the doctor might be taken more seriously than anything I suggest. Yes, my dad is doing OK – I found him mowing the lawn the other day!

Anyway, I need to look after myself too so onward and upward! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Magpie, could your Mum be suffering from depression? That might be a reason for her lack of motivation, or the onset of dementia. Either way a chat to the GP is a great idea. Often older people are so frightened of appearing to not be coping that they cover up really well to GP’s, District Nurses etc. Her GP may be unaware of any concerns about her motivation or health. Your Dad sounds pretty amazing and determined bless him!
    Yes Judith, Mum started the BSD just after me. Took a while for her to get her head around being able to go full fat, and watching her carbs but she’s done really well. So well that my brother started the fast800 last week, and my Dad has been enquiring about going low carb because he wants to have the same amount of energy she has. Now that was something jaw dropping because he’s a typical Englishman of his generation. Loves his bread, potatoes, dumplings, pastry and talks longingly of his Mum’s suet puddings, treacle pud, spotted dick etc. all of which Mum refuses to make for him as he doesn’t need the calories.
    My sister gave Mum a fit bit thingy for her 75th birthday which she loves. For the first month we were getting daily updates on how many steps and how much sleep she was getting. It ‘talks’ to her phone so we were even getting screen shots of her tally. She is rightly proud of her achievements and we are proud and pleased that we’re likely to have her around for a lot longer. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Cherrianne, you are echoing the thought I didn’t like to mention. My mum started getting ‘difficult’ at the early stage of dementia. That’s what made me think of it. The best thing is to have the doctor involved as soon as possible because if it is dementia, not just depression, then she can go on meds to delay it getting worse. If it’s depression the same applies. I know with mum she realised what was happening and made a very concerted effort to disguise it. Her own doctor was absolutely useless so I ended up getting advice from my own GP as to how to move forwards when things got really bad.
    Mag, the sooner you talk to mum’s GP the better. If it is the very early stages of dementia you need to know from the GP what kind of support you can get for later on. If it’s depression then it will be easily solved.

Most of all you really need to look after yourself. I carried on in a job that demanded many hours of work and helped with mum. It took a huge toll on me as my own health wasn’t too good to start with. I had no one to tell me to take time for myself.
    If it is the worst – early stages of dementia – it is best to talk to your line manager and let them know what you are facing. Tell them you don’t need time off for appointments at the moment but things might change in the coming years.
    The more moral support you can get for yourself the better.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Cherrianne, what wonderful news! You are inspiring your whole family!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Magpiemag
    on

Wow! You are so kind. To be fair, my mum has always been difficult, even before my dad’s stroke etc. I am quite sure she is depressed but the stigma is still there for many older people. Subtle help from her GP is probably the best way forward. We live in a rural area and the carers’ wellbeing support group I tracked down is too far away for her to be bothered to try to get to. Sigh. Working very long hours and also with no-one to support me, I can only do so much. My line manager is supportive, thank goodness. Yes, looking after myself is the most important thing. Thank goodness I’ve discovered this site.

Cherrianne – well done for the support you are giving your family! I think that the only way I can get mine to listen is by doing it first and letting them see the results (hopefully!!).

Well it has finally stopped raining so I’m off for a nice walk ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy your Sunday.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Magpie and Judith,
    I did wonder after I posted whether I should have mentioned dementia. It was after the 5 minute edit period and too late. Sorry, it was the ex district nurse in me rearing it’s head ๐Ÿ™
    I have seen too many older people frantically covering up any shortfalls in their ability to manage, and pushing away the very people who could help them to remain fairly independent. Most are very good socially and only very close family ever get suspicious about what is really going on. So your Mum is lucky that you have her well being in mind.
    I think that you are right about leading by example. It should help to open up some discussions about healthy eating once they notice your weight loss and improved energy. ๐Ÿ™‚
    The other thought that occurred was about how much time she spends out doors. Does she have a comfy, sheltered spot to sit outside now that Spring has sprung? Vitamin D has an important role to play in mood/mental health as well as blood sugar control. Levels are easily checked by blood test at her next GP appt. like I said, just a thought…

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi cherrieanne I posted and thought I should have spelled it out but hoped you would with your superior knowledge. It’s always better to have some idea of possibilities so you can determine what you are dealing with. Even if it is hard at the time to hear at the time.x

• posted by MerryMary
    on

OMG I just weighed myself and I have lost 2.3 kgs in 3days. I worked those days which I thought would be a real challenge as there are always chocolates around at work kindly given by grateful patients (little do they know they are slowly killing us!) It s a beautiful day today and I am on 2 days off. I’m taking my niece and little great niece to the Science museum in the city for the day so there will be lots of walking. I am so excited. This really works! And I am feeling fine. I have had a couple of periods of real hunger pains but have pushed through with water and a little block of cheese a couple of times. It was actually kind of nice to feel hunger pains instead of just “topping up” all the time with food. I’m having a pear at night which is satisfying for enough sweetness and is great fibre for the bowels!!! On that note I need to get ready! Have a great day my new friends ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by MerryMary
    on

Hi again, I thought I would mention to “Desperate” that we are also going overseas this year. To the UK and Italy late August/ September. I will be well mediterraneanized by then ready to eat yummy Italian food!!! Hopefully I will be a more comfortable weight too so that I can enjoy walking all the ancient steps in Italy!! Also want to feel as comfortable as possible in my “economy seat” on the plane!! ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by MerryMary
    on

Bill how are you doing? How is the retinopathy?

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Great results MerryMary. I hopped on the scales this morning to a pleasing 2kg total loss (today is Day 4 for me). It’s such a relief to find an eating plan that works.

• posted by Desperate
    on

Thanks so much hasimoto and MerryMary for your responses and support. I will definitely follow up on the tests you suggest hashimoto as I already have asthma. May I ask did you or do you have hashimoto’s disease. I have a friend whose 20 year old son has been diagnosed with it and is terribly depressed. If the BSD helped you I will pass this on to mother and son. And thanks for the fish recipe, I must have been tired when I read the recipes in the BSB book as I did not realise there were so many. I downloaded a copy on my kindle but am going to buy a hard copy to day to make it easier to organise my shopping lists and food decisions each day.

MerryMary, good to hear that you are travelling to, its a good incentive. I have lost 1.5 kg already and 2cm from my waist. I think the real test will be once we are away. Its not too hard to do the BSD when you are at home and like you I am feeling committed and encouraged by hearing about everyone else’s success stories.

Fantastic Switzerland on your results, you must be feeling encouraged.

Welcome to all the other new started. Look forward to hearing about your progress over the next weeks.

• posted by Lea71
    on

Hi Everyone,

I heard Michael speak on ABC radio last week. He made sense to me. I have bought and read the book and am ready to start. I have read lots of your posts and am impressed by the support show to others in these comments.

I have read so much conflicting information about loosing weight and had got myself in some very negative headspace not knowing which way to go – so did nothing and the kilos creep on, I feel worse, less energy, low mood….

I want to break this destructive cycle and I hope the 8 week BSD can give me the kick start required! I will take my measurements tomorrow morning and begin!

• posted by Magpiemag
    on

Hi Lea,

I’m starting today too! Your post rings massive bells with me – it is a terrible vicious circle until you can put the brakes on. That’s where I’ve been but now I’m so excited I’ve barely slept and I’m up early to just get on with it!

You are correct about the support people give on this site. I have been made to feel very welcome and I hope you will feel the same. Enjoy your first day – and good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi lea welcome to the forums and the bsd way of life. It works! ๐Ÿ™‚

Desperate, if you google daily mail 8 week blood sugar diet you will find 5 articles written by dr mosley. 2-5 have 1 weeks meal plans -so 4 weeks in all. Print the menus off and stick themin a book. The meals are photographed, unlike the book, and are a good guide to the kind of meals youcan eat.

I do have hashimotos, it can cause depression and weight gain BUT this diet has solved the weight gain problem,. The only diet which has. It increases energy and sense of well being.
    Your friends son won’t be told this by a doctor but since developing gluten intolerance I have read that this is common in people with hashimotos. I went on to develop diverticulitis as a result, I haven’t had a flare up on this diet!!!! A 20 year old may find the thought of giving up gluten foods depressing, if so he can be.pointed in the direction of gluten free foods. This diet is probably the best thing for him though. A lot of people on these forums have hypothyroidism and are finding the diet helps them. I don’t think that was anticipated as the diet was aimed at diabetics. However, diabetes and hypothyroidism are both metabolic diseases!
    Hypothyroidism is not curable but this diet gives you your life back.:)

Merrymary!! Fabulous weight loss! You’ll be skippingin the footsteps of the ancients! ๐Ÿ™‚

Switzerland, great results from you too! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Cherrieanne I meant to say we really need your district nurse ‘head’ – you know so much more than the majority of us and you are such a clear and compassionate thinker ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Merrymary, excellent result, go you
    Thanks for asking, retinopathy at my last eye exam showed an improvement in the retinal blood vessels with no inflamation.
    Blood sugars FBS under 7 rest of the day withing normal tolerances, Weight, Just hit the 2 stone loss mark.
    Not doing anything special, just sticking to the plan. I hope everyone does as well or better.

• posted by Magpiemag
    on

Thanks, Cherrieanne and hashimoto – it’s all good.

Merrymary and Bill – your weight loss and other results are inspirational! Congratulations ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks magpiemag ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by MerryMary
    on

Bill I think you are truly inspirational. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

MerryMary, Switzerland and Desperate, such a good start to your BSD journey! You will be feeling so inspired ๐Ÿ™‚ keep posting, it makes everyone feel good.
    Judith thanks for your kind words.
    Lea, just jump straight into the BSD way of life, as Bill often advises ‘don’t over think it’. Just follow the plan, shout out for help and advice, someone will be there to help. Keep reading and posting. You will motivate yourself and others. If we can do it, diverse bunch that we are, anyone can! Just watch those kilos disappear ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Thanks Magpie, hope it all works out ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Lea71
    on

Thanks for you r welcome hashimoto, Magpiemag, Cherrianne and Bill. Day 1 done! I took a scary lot of measurements this morning and hope to see a significant reduction in the numbers at the end of 8 weeks. Managed well although did find it hard smelling the cupcakes my 13yo dtr made today. Proud to say I did not eat a crumb! Craving something sweet after dinner and had 1 small piece of dark chocolate. Managed 2+ litres of water and herbal tea plus my beloved coffee. Looking forward to day 2.

• posted by MerryMary
    on

Hi Lea71
    Welcome! I can crave sweets at night and what I have had the last two nights is a small bowl with a couple of tablespoons of coconut yoghurt and a few blueberries and raspberries…eat it with a teaspoon … very yummy ๐Ÿ˜

• posted by Lea71
    on

Thanks MerryMary, I will add coconut yoghurt to my shopping list!

• posted by alexginda
    on

Just catching up with the discussion and enjoying reading your posts. The first few days doing BSD were just getting into the system and I found I was a bit all over the place with regards to counting carbs, but now that has settled down and I haven’t had any chocolate cravings, or low sugar episodes, so this must be working! Amazed at how many different types of food I can eat, certainly no excuse to say it’s boring or running out of ideas!

• posted by Desperate
    on

I am enjoying reading all the posts and gleaning additional info…. I find you are an inspiring group.

Have just finished Day 5 and am feeling really positive 2.5 kilos down…..no alcohol is the hardest bit of me, I do so love a glass of red wine or two..Not a drop has passed my lips and my resolve gets stronger every day. Hard to watch my skinny husband imbibing every night but such is life in the genetics draw. My yoga class to-day was really rewarding, less tummy made touching my toes and other asanas so much easier. Its amazing how a few extra kilos can make such a difference. Don’t sleep so well without the wine and am peeing like a trouper all night, which is not very restful but great for losing kilos. Hmm hoping this will all pass in the next week or so.

One question and it may be that I have missed it in my too hasty reading of MM’s book but is it important to stick to the four week menu or can you make up your recipes and move things around a bit? I ate the stir fried pork recipe the other night and thought the recipe could so with some fiddling to make it more tasty.

Onward and upwards….

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Desperate,
    Your liver will be loving the rest from the nightly wine!
    You can tweak the recipes or make your own as long as you calorie count and stay low carb/ no sugar. Most of us do this. An app will help with tracking your intake and finding calorie counts.
    Great you’ve noticed those differences already, and 2.5kg down is a great achievement ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi desperate, yes you can use your own recipes. Just make sure you count the calories and carbs and include some fat in each meal. Try to keep your carbs under 50g a day. Some of the recipes in the book are slightly fussy.

The only extra ingredient I have bought is coconut flour. I already used coconut oil, gram flour and I have always loved nuts and seeds.

If you like curry the gram flour flatbreads are a good substitute for rice and indian breads.

Like lucia I often have bacon, egg and tomato, it’s quick and easy and fits in with the dirt.
    That should say diet not dirt but I cant get the cursor to move back ๐Ÿ™

Well done on your weight loss ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Desperate
    on

Thanks Hashimoto and Cherrianne for your encouragement. Losing weight after trying so many diets without success including the 5:2 is the best encouragement ever. 4 kilos down now. And not having sugar cravings after my evening meal and wine is fantastic.

Hashimoto these are great tips. I like the bacon, egg and tomato idea. I too use coconut oil but have not used coconut flour and like you love nuts and seeds AND chick peas.I tried the beetroot falafels the other day, loved them but they were a bit crumbly. What are gram flour flatbreads? I am in rural Australia and don’t think I have noticed those on the supermarket shelves.

I like dirt for diet….perhaps that is where diet belongs in the dirt. This is my new way of eating and being.

Am interested to hear from those of you who have completed 8 weeks as to how you are managing now. Is avoiding carbs and sugar a lifelong thing now?

Please log in or register to post a reply.