Eating carbs again

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Peapod
    on

I have just started the BSD but am thinking ahead to when I have reached a good weight and low blood sugar. Can you ever eat a piece of cake, pizza or a bowl of pasta again or are they out I feel the question ?

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’m in week four. With my son’s 10th birthday coming up, and then Christmas, and then maintenance one day, I’ve been thinking about that too. Some people say that once they’ve been eating this way for a while they don’t want that stuff any more. I already find it somewhat less appealing. And I’m scared of reawakening the carb monster which has been very quiet for weeks. I wouldn’t say never have a “treat” of that kind again, but I think it would have to be a rare occurrence or we’ll end up back where we started.

When I’m in maintenance I plan to add back potato, and have bigger serves of meat and cheese (mmm cheese) and a bigger variety of fruit, but I’m not planning to reintroduce the other stuff on any regular basis.

• posted by shalimar
    on

For myself … i would like to have cake at a birthday party, or dessert at a family dinner. I would like a slice of Boston Royal Pizza once in a while. I think i would consider these a treat instead of a regular thing. And i might still count calories but perhaps around 1200 or more. I was also considering doing the 5:2 plan.

Going on the 5:2 plan would remind me that it is not a free for all. 🙂

The thing is that i will still be going to the gym and weighing in every few days …. so i would nip any problems in the bud.

p.s. …. if i can only have 1 of the above … let it be pizza. Don’t care about pasta … and desserts and cake might be awfully sweet but pizza is always delicious!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Peapod, Natalie and shalimar,

I’m pretty sure MM stated in his book (? or was that on TV) that there’s room for an occasional piece of cake. The issue for us with carb addiction is to insure that it’s occasional. I live in a family of 4 and have reconciled that it’s OK to have a slice of cake at our birthday celebrations, Christmas and Easter. The positive aspect of this approach is that it keeps the ‘treats’ where they were traditionally – occasional foods.

shalimar, Have you tried the cauliflower pizza in the recipe section of this site? I have it regularly and find it a good substitute for traditional pizza. It freezes well too – so if it’s too fiddly/or you’re time poor to make it all the time, make a batch and freeze them. Also, I’m amazed at how sweet some foods taste now. I tasted some ‘diet cola’ recently and could not believe I used to drink it regularly.
    Best wishes.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

PS The cauliflower pizza recipe is on page 17 – it was posted by tree-peony in March this year. Enjoy.

• posted by tigs
    on

I decided from the start of BSD to allow myself a slice or two of home made sourdough pizza each week with a couple of glasses of red. Just that every Friday we have friends around and been a bit of a thing for yonks. I did not want to let that go as it makes a bit of a scene and I did not want the attention. I also felt like it means it is more sustainable for me, using the principles most of the time. I count every calorie all the same (well over 800 and carbs high too) and ‘fast’ on that day every week. So just have dinner. I am still losing weight really well and shrinking happily.

• posted by shalimar
    on

That sounds like a plan tigs.

Thanks for the cauliflower pizza link … but my stove doesn’t work and i might not replace it soon. Never made homemade pizza anyway.

I haven’t even made cauliflower rice yet ….. i just love cauliflower raw or steamed or in soup.

I usually only ate pizza a few times a year anyway and Boston Pizza has a very nice single serving pizza … that way you don’t take anything home. 840 calories for the Royal… a little less for something with less toppings. I could have one now … just not anything else.

Yes …. i am counting carbs …. but if i am in the calorie limit i don’t mind going over 50 carbs once in a while.

• posted by Peapod
    on

I like the sound of homemade pizza and wine as a treat. I’m finding it hard to imagine life without cake, bread etc. but hopefully as the weight drops off I will be thinking less about what I can’t have and concentrating on what I can have.
    My husband has been doing the 5:2 since Feb and has lost 28lbs , he eats anything including all the bad carbs on his normal days then fasts on the other two. I was desperate to see a quick loss so it’s the BSD for me. Just trying to get my head around the lack of carbs at the moment.
    Thanks for all your replies.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I think in the first 8 weeks simple carbs should be a no no, but that depends on why you are doing the diet. If you are not diabetic as few cheeky carbs now and then as a treat (and I don’t mean once a week) will not do too much harm. As a diabetic I know that as soon as I eat a high carb my blood glucose will shoot up. You may also find that after sticking with this stictly for 8 weeks you no longer crave carbs like you used to. I now find rice and pasta tasteless gloop but I would love a jacket potato but not yet. I am now in week 19 and have not had any carbs, it is almost as if I am scared of them or scared of getting hooked again. But that is just me, I am always quite obsessive when I do something, maybe on Christmas day I will have some stuffing with my turkey.

Please log in or register to post a reply.