Eating as a family

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by TRexMummy
    on

Hi, I don’t know if this has been bought up before – apologies if so. I am planning on starting the diet in a couple of weeks (lots of family events in the interim so a bad time to start). I have two young children, and do not want us all to be eating different meals as a sit down mealtime together is important to us. Any tips from others about adapting for family meals?

My children don’t like things that are green, anything too spicy and are pasta addicts (although they do not really like any other carbs) – so doing something new can be tricky but not impossible!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    not much personal experience, as cooking primarily for myself, but you could do things that you’d have with pasta (but make your own to avoid carbs rather than convenience food), and have courgetti (spiralised courgette) yourself – and someone was posting about aubergine with meat stuffing the other day, you could have that and serve the children theirs with pasta if they are vegetable-dodgers.

You can buy courgette and other veg pre-spiralised to try it out, or use a grater or mandolin slicer, and then get a spiraliser if you like it – from under £10 on amazon for a small one.

quite a lot of people posting on the forum, so I’m sure they will have some ideas too.

Hope that BSD goes well for you when you get started

• posted by DiviB
    on

Hi, my close friend is doing the same thing – as many of the portions are about calorie control, you can make the same thing for your kids but (if they are older) give them a slightly bigger portion. As the other post says, if you’re having something with cauli rice or spiralized zuchhini, just give them the conventional carbs with the same dish. There may be times when it just doesn’t work to have the same meals so one alternative is to pre make and freeze dishes you know they like so you can quickly pull out and heat up something for them. One of the easiest dinner meals is to cook your 100g of meat or your fish portion in whatever way and have with lots of veg (just not potato and pumpkin) so you can easily add a potato for them or extra veg etc. Good luck – in terms of their long term health it’s probably not a bad idea to try and cut down their pasta consumption anyway but slowly slowly does it 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.