Easter Bus Tour

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mariet
    on

I’ve had a lovely weekend thanks DTC. No social events but our local council was giving out 4 free plants for ratepayers on Saturday so I went down there with a friend and stood in the COVID safe line for an hour! We each got our plants which was great.

Then I went to a trash and treasure market near my house and found some new 2nd hand toys for my granddaughter to play with at my house and a brand new Minnie Mouse quilt cover set, she is 2 years old and very taken with Minnie Mouse.

Today I installed a new printer for my mother and then worked like a dog for hours, digging over a garden bed that hasn’t been touched for 25 years, I dig in compost, planted the new plants and mulched it. It looks great and I’m sure my back will recover sooner or later 🤣

So I really haven’t had time to be tempted by illicit food, it’s really only s problem for me in part type substations. Maybe I need to refrain from social situations for three months.

I am not weighing myself, I am going by the fit of my work pants. Hoping that helps me avoid the disappointment I feel when there’s an unexpected upward movement on the scales.

I’m glad you’ve had your first jab and I hope things continue to improve for you all. We’ve really had it comparatively easy here, the tyranny of distance working for us for once. Fingers crossed that we can so see light at the end of the tunnel.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Bennyboy welcome to the motley crew! Yes let’s hope they do succumb eventually! Just the belly ones seem extra stubborn. I also think with me it’s low carb that if anything is more important than low cal. So it was interesting what you said JGwen about the significance of carbs in the effectiveness of intermittent fasting.

Mariet I love the free plants idea! And well done with the gardening. I agree that the fit of clothes is a really good indicator of where your weight is at. I do find it puzzling though that sometimes clothes seem looser but the tape measure shows no change in measurements. But loose clothes are such a great feeling 😊

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi BENNYBOY welcome aboard our bus!X
    CATHY Im same as you re eggs,Sometimes I cant face them either. Often I end up boiling them and giving them to the foxes.
    DAWN I too get the cereal cravings occasionally ! Specially for Cheerios. Cereal makes me hungrier tho,so I avoid it,but theres only me here. So much harder if its in the kitchen for others in the household to enjoy.x
    MARIET so pleased yr son has had his jab and well done him working in ICU,you must be so proud of his good work,but its a worry too isnt it
    I agree with you,it helps that we’re not alone in our struggle to eat better. So many of us are struggling so much,Im
    sure it has to be related to the strange way of life we are all living thru. I think we all feel the same tho..when all this ends,we want to be in a fit state for enjoying the big wide world again and not hampered by lumps,bumps and bulges,so we must keep trying!X
    DCT and JGWEN thanks for the fasting info XX
    Thought for the week ahead..
    Focus on progress not perfection ! 💕🌸💕🌸💕🌸💕🌸💕🌸💕🌸💕🌸💕🌸💕🌸💕🌸💕🌸💕🌸💕🌸

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi all
    Thanks Yowzer for your positive quote – I’m definitely going to use it this week.
    Last week was a bit of a write off for me due to a number of reasons which I won’t go into here, suffice to say that I gained 1/2 a kilo due to not sticking to my eating plan!
    BUT if I focus on the progress I’ve made this year then it is more positive, and I just need to refocus and get back on track, which I am doing this week.
    Yesterday morning and again today I went for a walk with my daughter. She doesn’t need to lose weight but tries to stay healthy so she is happy to keep me company. This morning we walked 4.5km, or 6600 steps, so I was happy with that. I have some medical appointments tomorrow (routine things) and my husband is going to come with me as we have a few errands to run, we are going to catch public transport and walk, so it will be another opportunity to get my steps up.
    Hope everyone else is travelling well, and continue to cope with Lockdown. I can just imagine the reaction to the Harry and Meghan interview over there In the UK – its bad enough here! But at least we are getting a bit of a break from Covid news which usually dominates the bulletins 🙂
    I’m up to week 10 of my restart and conscious that Easter is now just over 3 weeks away so buckling myself back into my seat and gripping onto the handrail firmly for the rest of our journey! I’d ideally like to lose another couple of kilos by Easter 🐣

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Still plodding onwards and downwards but sadly I won’t be at goal by Easter due to all my false starts. It’s funny how life has its twists and turns to negotiate. I have lost 2lb this week which I am really pleased about. I am doing my best every day and some days are better than others but I feel like my mind is in the right place at the moment. Went for my blood tests this morning and have my consultation next Tuesday so I feel that I will be in an even better place once I know the treatment plan ahead. I made the goats cheese frittata last night from the fast800 recipe book and it was delicious. I am having it cold today for my lunch with salad. So many lovely recipes from that book.

I tried some of my swimsuits on yesterday in anticipation of my planned spa break in July to Ragdale Hall to see how much weight I would need to lose and was pleased that most of them fitted but with a 10lb loss they will fit even better. One of the good things about having no money coming in now I am retired is that I can’t afford to buy new clothes which means I have to keep my weight down. I used to have a range of clothes from size 12 to size 18 but when I slimed down in 2017 I purposely got rid of anything above a size 12 so that I wouldn’t slip into bad habits after losing the weight and end up going up through the sizes like I had always done previously. Maybe this is something you would want to consider as you lose weight. Just get rid of the big items and treat yourself to something in your current size until you get to your desired weight.

I’ve got my Covid vaccine booked in for two weeks’ time and I am so relieved. What a wonderful job the nhs has done rolling them out so quickly. I didn’t expect I’d get mine until June.

With three weeks until the Easter bus reaches its destination I am going to aim to lose 5lb by Easter Sunday. It would be great to weigh less at Easter than I did at Christmas and it would also put me on track to be at goal by my birthday in June. So that is my plan.

Sorry you had a bad week last week SueBlue but you’ve done so well since the reboot that you will soon draw a line under your small gain and be right back on track.

Strap yourselves in everyone as the next leg of our journey is going to be fast and furious as we head to the finish line. Lets all try and be big losers!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello everyone, Cathy there are so many of us not quite meeting our goals but we are still here and still trying. I wont reach my goal by a long way but I am still 8lbs lighter since lockdown. Maybe we are too hard on ourselves and expect too much. When all around us are falling down we are still standing. And I am stealing this from my SW magazine (I just like to have something diet related and in English to read) – we are stronger, more intelligent, more determined and more courageous than we give ourselves credit for. Recognise those nagging negative thoughts for exactly what they are – A LOAD OF RUBBISH. Dump them now.

Keep on keeping on… odaat

• posted by Busybee
    on

I’m on the same bus (or in the same boat!) – today is the end of week three of our Lent boot camp and up to now I have done well and lost 6lbs by yesterday. I was convinced I would make the half a stone Mark this morning, but no, I had gained a pound!!!!! So what did I do but have a hot cross bun and a very large lunch!
    I lose weight slowly as I take steroids and lowered my usual expectations of losing three pounds in a week to one and a half which I suppose I have done.
    Yowzer, I may need your limp lettuce treatment but I’ll get back in my seat again and try to lose another 5 pounds before the end of the boot camp.
    O.D.A.A.T.
    X B

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Busy bee I can sympathise with the steroids – that’s what kicked off my weight gain 14 years ago, when I first started taking them. Luckily nowadays I only take them a few times a year, when I get a flare.
    I saw my rheumatologist today and my next appointment is 16 June. Then I added my weight to the Happy Scales App and saw that in the predictions it said I would reach my goal weight on 16 June – IF I can lose 1/2kg a week from now until then. So I’m taking this coincidence with the dates as a sign 🙂 but seriously it is good to have a date to focus on and work towards – so mine is that I’ll be at my goal weight on 16 June.
    I will still need to lose at least another 10kg after that, but find it easier to focus on smaller goals.
    So my interim goal, for this bus journey, is to lose 1.5kg by Easter, then I will be at my lowest weight for quite a number of Easters! My next goal will then be to lose another 1.5kg by Anzac Day (25 April), then the remaining 4kg between then and 16 June. Well that’s the plan anyway! We all know that life has a habit of getting in the way of plans!
    I’ve made an appointment with my hairdresser for the end of April to get my hair cut and coloured. I’ve been colouring it myself at home during Covid so it will be a nice treat to look forward to, and hopefully a reward for the weight I will lose by then!
    Sunshine girl – I read diet and health magazines too. I can read loads of magazines for free on my tablet, through my local library. I’m loving it as I can read English magazines that are usually too expensive to buy here. I like Healthy Food Ideas which is written by dieticians, and Diabetic Living, as they both have good recipes. Yesterday I had ‘Carrot Cake overnight oats’ for breakfast – basically grated carrot, oats and spices with a teaspoon of sultanas – I would never have thought of putting grated carrot into my oats for breakfast, but it was nice and made a change.
    I’m glad you are enjoying the recipes from the Fast 800 book Cathy 🙂 So many of the meals containing meat can be adapted to include quorn, tofu or haloumi instead – there’s a list of substitute Proteins and their calories in the back of the book. I had Thai curry with cauli rice for dinner last night and having the left overs for lunch today 🙂
    Let’s all Keep on Keeping On, One Day at a time 🙂

on

Hi everyone. Three weeks to go!

Cathy well done on 2lb loss, that’s great news! Wishing you well for your blood test results, and glad you’ve got your jab booked too. I love the sound of the goats cheese frittata and will give that one a try as I love frittata.

Thanks again SueBlue for recommending the Fast800 Recipe Book, there is such a wealth of recipes in there and, as you say, most can be adapted for different dietary needs and preferences. I hope that this week is a better one for you. You’ve been doing so well with your weight loss throughout this trip that I’m sure you’ll meet your Easter goal.

And talking of weight loss, 6lb BusyBee is tremendous! Especially with your steroids. You are on a roll, well done! And you too sunshine-girl – 8lb since lockdown is great. As you said in an earlier post, most people have put on a lot of weight during this time, so any loss is impressive, let alone 8lb! Thanks for the quote about dumping negative thoughts too. It’s amazing that we so often can’t see the strengths we have, and the progress we are making, but instead choose to focus on the areas we are struggling with or think we’ve failed at.

I hit 140lb on the scales again this morning which I’m pleased about. This happened towards the end of Countdown to Christmas and dipped into the 139s, but then Christmas came and I was back up to 143/144 in no time. I’m hoping to make it to 137/138 by Easter if I can. I’m doing a lot of running at the moment for a charity challenge, so not sticking to 800 calories – more like 1000 – but trying to keep low carb. I do confess though to breaking my intention of no wine during Lent. The occasional glass does still pass my lips. But – before Yowzer attacks me with the dreaded wet lettuce! – it is much less than usual so I feel ok with it and am not going to beat myself up! And am still losing, albeit slowly . . . .

Take care everyone, and hope the rest of the week goes well X

on

Hi all, 3 weeks, well that is still doable for me, I was counting Easter as the date we were to set off on our trip to UK – 17th – so Easter Monday is 5th April or Good Friday – which are we going for. Even Good Friday I make 4 weeks but I am not brilliant at adding up.

SueBlue, where are you (France). Can you give me the details and does it cost. Doesnt matter if it does as I have to pay for the magazines and postage so no difference really.

Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi peeps,lovely to read all your posts. BUSYBEE a six pound loss is v good!! 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽And CCATHY,your 2 lb is 2 lb more than Ive lost,well done 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽 And DCT good on you preparing to do a charity run! 👍🏻SUEBLUE I love a plan! To be at yr goal weight by 16 June,I wd be on cloud nine!go girl,you can do it.👍🏻👍🏻
    SUNSHINE,thats a real achievement,to have lost weight during lockdown,✌️✌️everyone I know has gained ( except my Beau who never puts on weight,grrrrr…..)
    The sound of applause and cheers coming from the bus is deafening! As we pass thru towns and villages,people are coming out to look! 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀
    ODAAT folks!
    DAWN, im thinking of you and hoping yr mum has been able to see yr Dad this week X
    What shall we sing on the bus today?
    🎶🎶 I’m on The Road Again🎶 ( Canned Heat) sing up everyone or I’ll get the wet lettuces out,.😀😀😀 xx

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,I’m still struggling a bit to get on board properly but am still trying.Yowser keep those wet lettuces handy!Thanks for your kind thoughts about the care home visiting.Only one person is allowed to visit my dad and my mum is anxious about going by herself so we’ve decided that my sister should go as if he gets stressed she said she will be ok bless her.The last time any of us saw him properly he was still living at home with my mum and we’ve only seen him a few times through a window since so the whole experience may be a bit overwhelming for him,it’s lovely that visiting is now being allowed but there is also worry about how my dad will be affected.The staff are great so we will be guided by them.We hope that it’s not too long before more than one regular visitor allowed,although I do understand they are only allowing one person to keep any risks at a minimum.
    Anyway,I know now there is no way I will reach my goal weight for Easter,I weighed myself yesterday and,as well as not losing the weight I gained over Christmas,I’ve gained even more😕 I now have 22lbs to lose to get to my goal.I’ve had my breakfast of raspberries and Greek yoghurt and feel quite full so that’s a good start!I’ve said this before,if it wasn’t for this forum I would have given up trying to lose any weight at all at the moment so I’m grateful for all of your help,empathy and inspiring stories.Dawn X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Good morning DAWN! I’m having same brekky as you! Which one do you have? I used to love Fage full fat but they don’t seem to do full fat any more. Then Aldi stopped doing it too..gahhhhh! I now get Kri Kri which is very nice. And raspberries are just lovely arent they. Some days I go wild and scatter a few flaked almonds on top.🥳
    Hope the visit goes well for your Dad and sis xxx got my fingers crossed. You are so wise taking it slowly so its not too much for your Dad,and Im so glad you can rely on and trust the staff. One day you’ll all be reunited but like you say,for now got to keep risks at a minimum.
    Youre not alone re not reaching goal for Easter,me neither despite the regular wet lettuce swipes. Keep thinking – progress not perfection. Look at the little victories each day. Today,a healthy and delicious low carb brekky started the day right and sets the tone for lunch and dinner choices.👍🏻👍🏻
    What shall we sing on the bus today…
    🎶🎶🎶 We aint got a barrel of money,maybe we’re ragged and funny
    But we’ll travel along,singing a song,side by side 🎶🎶🎶🎶
    ( Sorry for the antwacky songs I come up with,I worked for a while as a waitress in an Olde Tyme Music Hall and learnt a load of old songs that unfortunately still stick in my brain)xx

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, fantastic to see so many people honing in on your aims.

Someone mentioned their weight last year at this time. I weighed myself today for the first time for ages (disappointing but could be worse) and thought I’d see how that compared with 12months ago. I’m 5.5kg heavier 😱

I’m reminding myself we had lockdown and I gave up smoking.

Anyway, keeping on keeping on and will weigh again in a few weeks.

Kudos to those who are doing so well and solidarity with those who are still slogging away without the rewards we would like!

• posted by RubyG
    on

We have had a difficult week – me with stuff going on with work, and hubby feeling rubbish with his jab, so we are both expecting a gain on the scales tomorrow.
    We have a better day planned, and I just need to find the discipline I need to get through the day without raiding the cupboards – today may be one hour at a time…….
    But, we had scrambled egg with cherry tomatoes for breakfast, will have chicken broth for lunch, and to recover some of the week’s damage I have planned a cauli curry for supper tonight.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks Yowser,I will let you know how the visit goes,not sure when it will be yet.my local Aldi are still doing the 10% Greek yoghurt so I use that one.I used fresh raspberries this time but sometimes use mixed frozen fruit warmed up(an idea someone mentioned on the forum a year or so ago I think).Like you I sometimes sprinkle something on top,either flaked almonds or chopped mixed nuts.I felt quite full after breakfast but am feeling a bit peckish now😕 someone mentioned bovril a few weeks ago so I got some in as I hadn’t had any for years.I’m just wondering if it’s ok for me to have on this plan?Would be great if it is as a hot mug of that on a cold windy day is just the job🙂
    PS.I enjoy your songs,as a child I used to enjoy watching The Good Old Days on tv and singing along😀
    PPS Is anyone in UK having trouble booking their vaccine?my sister has been trying to book hers since Saturday but no appointments available
    Dawn X

on

Morning everyone and I am hoping for some advice. I had a text from the doctor asking me to book an appointment to see the practice nurse following my blood test on Tuesday. I am guessing it is for dietary advice and all the receptionist would say was that it’s regarding my lipid count so I am anticipating that I have a high cholesterol count. I am speaking to my GP on Tuesday anyway to discuss the other issues I’ve got going on but couldn’t get the nurse appointment until 1st April. I have been eating full fat since 2017 and probably too much cheese and eggs as I am a strict vegetarian. Depending on how high my cholesterol count is I am inclined to carry on with this way of eating but there are tweaks I could make ie cut out cream in my coffee and reduce the regularity of cheese etc. However, I am fearful that cutting yet another food group from my diet is going to seriously affect what I can eat. I will know more once the scores are in and I know that medics are keen for our cholesterol to be under 5. So if it is 6/7 then I am keen to carry on as I am doing but if it is alarmingly high then I am going to have to make some serious dietary changes. They are awaiting my HbA1c result which should be normal as I don’t eat sugar in any form. I am really feeling fed up about this as I honestly feel I eat a healthy diet. I wonder if reducing the fat from my diet might help not only my cholesterol but also help with a little bit of weight loss. Lots to think about. I have seriously wondered whether to try something completely different for a few months. I really would be grateful for some wise words and obviously until I know the figures I can’t really make a definite plan. Just wondered if anyone else has been in the same dilemma re fats/cholesterol.

on

Hi Cathy, I know it is hard but you need to wait and see what the problem is. I have been doing this diet for 5 years and my cholesterol has gone down quite significantly and I have seriously reduced the statins to the point where doctor says I dont need them but I stick with the smallest dose as a precaution as I am high risk for heart disease, stroke etc due to family history and diabetes. But I have gone from around 6.7 to 3.7 so I dont think the diet is a problems. Unless you eat loads of fat and cheese. My philosophy was just to change from low fat diet food to natural full fat foods like yoghurts and butter etc and I have always used olive oil as a dressing and cooked with rapeseed oil. I still dont eat fat on meat or chicken skin as that is added fat – but you dont eat meat. So I didnt increase the fat just changed the type. Anyway, find out what the problem is and then you will know what can be done about it.

The HbA1c test doesnt measure sugar, it measures glucose which are different. From what we know on this diet any white starchy carbs turn into glucose (yes sugar does too) so bread and potatoes, rice and pasta and breakfast cereal are all sugars of a type. Again, wait and see and you know you can turn to us if you need any help.

Whatever your results make sure you are given breathing spare to take in anything you are told. Write it down or it will leave your brain because you wont be concentrating due to stress. Then ask for time to think about whatever is said.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi Cathy, my doctor was upset about my cholesterol levels a couple of years ago, interestingly when I was at goal weight and the healthiest I’d been in years. It was true that the total cholesterol was high but the ratios of good and bad cholesterol were outstanding. I am sure there are others but the Australian Heart Foundation has a calculator where you can enter your HDL,LDL and serum triglycerides and it calculates a risk. I found it very useful when trying to decide whether to take advice regarding beginning statins.

I agree you need more information and some time for reflection before deciding on a course of action. Good luck!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy I second what Sunshine Girl says about cholesterol. I’ve had high cholesterol for years, since my late 20’s when I wasn’t even overweight. My dad has high cholesterol too, and it’s not related to his diet, it’s hereditary and my doctor thinks that mine is in part too. I’ve been taking statins for around 7 years I think, just to lower my heart disease risk as I’m already in a higher risk group due to my chronic illnesses.
    Anyway, since starting this WOE 4 years ago my cholesterol has been coming down, and it’s now normal – this is despite me switching from low fat to full fat products. I eat at least 6 eggs per week, have cheese and full fat milk every day as I need to keep my calcium up (with the osteoporosis). I also have cream in my coffee a few times per week. I know that my cholesterol is lower due to the statins, but I was on statins for a good 3 years before starting this WOE and it has only significantly lowered since I changed to full fat products and healthy fats like olive oil and avocado.
    Try not to worry too much (I know that it’s easier said than done), and take it one step at a time x

• posted by RubyG
    on

Well, our expected gain was actually a loss for us both this week, which we’re both very happy about.
    My Easter goal was to be 11st-something by Easter, a number not seen on my scales since 2016 – today I weighed 11st 13.8lb (just sneaking in there), so I need to not do the usual small gain over the weekend as I would prefer not to see 12st again anytime soon.

on

Congrats RubyG, that was a nice surprise. I too have a weight I never want to see again and I am just dithering under it so will have to try really hard not to mess it up over the weekend. Dont know what changes for weekends as every day is the same. I suppose it just feels good to have something different to look forward to. Oh, just noticed, your weight and mine are exactly the same. I never want to see 12 again.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi S-G, I think we’re of a similar height too (or shall I say lack of height?) – I’m 5′ 1.5″
    We are both working, so Monday and Friday have more of a routine and we’re kept busy, whereas there’s always that feeling of wanting the weekend to be a bit more special.
    We are having fish and chips tonight, BSD style – a small piece of monkfish tail with celeriac chips. I haven’t looked up the carb content of peas, but would imagine they may be pretty high – if I don’t do a small portion of peas I may just make a homemade tartare sauce.

on

Ruby, I am just a smidge under 5 foot. And tonight we are having homemade fish and chips with mushy peas and tartare sauce. Not sure about the peas, I am making my own from dried marrowfat and have looked online but get different readings. I started with 40g of dried but it will be a lot more when cooked so do I count 40g or the cooked carbs. Just found a site that says normal serving is 70 cal and 10g carbs. Not too bad and good for you.

on

I had to throw the mushy peas in the bin. They just turned to mushy water. Had some frozen garden peas instead. Hey ho. Dont think I’ll bother again.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thought for the weekend…
    Yesterday was Experience,Today is Experiment,Tomorrow is Expectation, Use your Experience in your Experiment to achieve Your Expectation!! 💕🌟💕🌟💕🌟💕🌟xxx
    Enjoy the weekend everyone! x
    PS Sorry about the peas SUNSHINEGIRL X

• posted by Busybee
    on

Love the weekend thoughts Yowzer!
    Have a good weekend everyone.
    X B

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hope everyone had a good weekend 🙂
    I was able to reverse last week’s gain thankfully so now back to an even 6kg (13lb) loss so far. No wonder I had gained – my average calories for the week before were 1400 per day, a week of 1,000 calories and the gain went. So this week I’m going to stick to 900 calories on 5 days.
    My walking is going well, I’ve been walking for 45-60 minutes each morning, even on Sunday when it was cold and windy. . I’ve started to look at dresses (For my daughters wedding next year) online as I had an idea of a style I would like, and I saw a lovely one. In the ad it had a size 12 model wearing the dress and then there were photos of customers wearing the dress – one lady was wearing a size 20 and the dress looked totally different. She looked lovely still but it did look a lot nicer on the size 12 model! Anyway not that I’m looking at being size 12 again or anything, to be honest I’d be happy to be 14-16 again (I’m 175cm tall), but seeing those images just brought it home to me about how much better I would feel if I were a smaller size. It would be a lot less strain on my painful joints for one thing!
    For this week I want to focus on keeping my calories low, walk for an hour on 5 days and spend 30 minutes each day listening to my mindfulness app. That’s the plan anyway!

• posted by Busybee
    on

Well done on getting back on track SueBlue – I hope I can do the same after my overindulgence over the weekend!
    Our dear son sent a huge hamper of goodies I shouldn’t eat and booze which I will drink, for Mother’s Day!
    I dived straight in and sampled the food which I didn’t really enjoy that much but did and will enjoy the fizz, wine and gin!!
    Well today the scales showed a gain of 4lbs and Happy Scales app was screaming a gain in big red numbers! I have undone call the hard work of the past three weeks!!
    Globby the Carb Monster had a field day but I have kicked him out of the door.
    I found a limp lettuce in the fridge and slapped it around my face as advised by Yowzer and now
    It’s time to get out my travel pass and back on the bus.
    Here I go again O.D.A.A.T.
    X B

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi folks! BUSYBEE ive kicked my Carb Monster to the kerb as well! She was thrilled yesrday to see me tucking into Mothers Day goodies but she’ s laughing the other side of her face now,because Ive fasted so far today and kept busy,using up heaps of calories! 😀😀😀 There are still a few chox left but she knows theres no chance I’ll be eating them as they’re my most unfavourite flavours. Her and Globby can have a moan to each other and shake their fists at us as much as they like,we dont care,its Monday and we have turned over a new leaf,and its not a wet lettuce leaf! 🥳🥳🥳
    Think its about three weeks now til the Easter bunny calls,so lets get strapped in for a rollercoaster ride,driving over hills and dales,singing as we go!
    Beep beeep get out of our way!👀👀👀 xxx

on

Hello – I am still here despite the constant knock backs I keep getting. Weighed the same this week as last week. Got an appointment with the practice nurse scheduled on 1st April to discuss my raised cholesterol which apparently is 6.4. It was 5.2 in 2011 so it has gone up 1.1 in ten years and I am eating a fairly high fat diet now whereas in 2011 I was eating everything low fat so I reckon it can be tweaked without the need for medication. Had a less than satisfactory consultation with my GP today who wants me to start taking Biphosphonates for my osteoporosis but she was unable to answer my specific questions so I have asked a friend who is a GP to analyse my results and help me make a decision re treatment. It all seems to have all gone wrong as I approach my sixtieth birthday! Because of my health issues I will have to focus on optimising my diet even more and will have to make tweaks here and there which may help me get into a healthier range. I am disappointed that despite looking after my health and diet since 2017 I have developed high cholesterol and osteoporosis but have thankfully dodged diabetes!p which would have been on the cards when I weighed 42lb heavier! What a fine line we are all treading. My GP wants my cholesterol to be less than 4 so I will see what the nurse has to say and then make a plan.

So despite two steps forward and three steps backwards I feel that over the coming months I will do my best to eat well and if I can lose a few pounds too along the way then that is the best I can do. I do wonder whether what seems like a lifetime of dieting has eventually taken its toll on my body and it’s ironic that when I thought I was eating well by being vegetarian/first eating low fat/then eating healthy fat and low carb/( I do worry about getting enough fibre with this way of eating) my body isn’t all that healthy after all!

on

Cathy, let us know how we can help when you have had proper medical advice, even if it is just to support you. 10 years is a long time and the changes (increase) might have been going to happen anyway and maybe been even worse without this diet. I put low fat food down to causing high cholesterol as the chemicals are not something the liver knows how to deal with. I had my test results today and they came in at 4.0 up from 3.7 but I am not worried. To be honest I dont eat high fat and where I do use full fat foods I keep them to very small amounts as they dont gel well with the number of calories. I dont eat the things I used to put fat on, so no butter on toast, no butter in mash, no roasties done in fat so I probably have less than when I ate carbs and used low fat margerine on everything. If I have full fat cheese it is around 1oz and then only about twice a week but full fat yoghurts are okay for everyday as it is a different type of fat, plant based rather than animal. When you think healthy fats look at things like avocados, nuts, seeds, olive oil etc. A simple google for foods to reduce cholesterol will give you a good idea of what you can eat to help.

If it really comes down to it I dont have anything against taking statins and I do continue to take a very small dose just to protect myself due to other risk factors. You will get it sorted, especially as you have a trusted friend in the medical profession. Let us know how you get on.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi folks ! CATHY,good advice there from S-GIRL re cholesterol. 👍🏻
    Thats very useful having a doctor friend,hopefully after speaking with him/ her you’ll feel a lot more sure whats best for you.
    And its fantastic that youve avoided diabetes,thats a really big plus.
    Im feeling good today as Im on Day 3 of yet another attempt to walk the line ( if you CAN do that when youre on a bus!)
    Im trying sthing a bit new and really sthing I dont much agree with,but am desperate to get things moving. Ive bought some diet drinks called Huel. ( other brands available) They do a low carb version,which is what attracted me. Ive got two flavours,salted caramel and banana. The salted caramel tastes fine,just mix with water,give a good shake,quite filling.
    Havent tried the ‘ narna yet.
    Another good point is it has fibre so ( ahem! ) helps with going to the loo..I sometimes find with low carbing that can be problematic.
    Im having one shake,plus a low carb meal,at the moment,plus milk for cups of tea,about 800 cals and not hungry. The low carb huel micro ratio is 17 %( carb) 40%(fat) 40:3 %( 40 protein,3 fibre) Even after just three days I feel better.
    Some people complain its not keto,but for now if it gets some weight off,thats fine for me. Apparently to make it more keto you can swap one scoop of huel for a scoop of desiccated coconut.
    ( sorry for long explanation! But for the first time in ages I feel like Im really really getting out of locko bad eating habits and slotting right back into the better habits of old,and am optimistic,so thought this might help someone else on the bus who’s struggling)xx
    🐝 🌷🐝 ‘ Kind words are like honey. Sweet to the soul and healthy for the body ‘ 🐝🌷🐝

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Helloooooo? Anyone home? 👀👀👀 Or rather,anyone on the bus? No hiding under the seats! Or in the luggage compartment!
    Come on you slackers,quick march!we have a timetable to keep to,and the bus is raring to go! Hold on tight.
    Bus Song for today,
    🎶🎶She’ll be coming round the mountain when she comes..🎶🎶🎶😀😀😀😻😻😻🥰🥰🥰🥳🥳🥳 xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

I’m here.

Have been experimenting with 36 and 42 hour fasts this week.

Its not been as easy as it should have been but its my fault. – I have been breaking my fast with things like boiled eggs with solders, and cheese on toast and then having the munchies for the rest of my eating window.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi I’m still here. But feel like a ghost passenger! I have been gaining and losing the same kilos for a few weeks and was definitely not in the mood for announcing another failed restart!. No good reason for this pathetic behaviour.. When i follow the way of eating it works. And when I don’t it doesn’t. Deuh.

Glad others are having more success. And maybe I shall be able to report some better news at Easter!

on

Hello! I’m still here – just can’t believe another week has flown by. Two weeks to go till the end of our Bus Tour! Maybe a last minute spurt is needed, especially for those of us who have been hiding at the back of the bus (I include myself in this!)

Yowzer how are you getting on with the shakes? I’ve been trying out lots of the recipes from the Fast800 book and there are some great ones in there. I don’t eat red meat so am working my way through the fish, chicken and veggie ones. I find that when I stick to those recipes for a few days, I do see a slight weight reduction. Magic ingredients maybe ;). I’m aware that there have sometimes been posts on the forums about the calories and macros not being that accurate in some of the recipes. But they do seem to work for me: my weight is currently fluctuating between 139 and 140. I’m also doing lots of running at the moment and seem to be toning up a bit. I’d love to get to 137/138 by Easter but sadly I still have the self-sabotage gene and keep countering all these positive things with too many naughty moments of wine and snacks . . .

Cathy I hope that your next appointment helps you to decide a way forward. I started taking statins in 2019 as my cholesterol had been steadily increasing for some time, since long before I started the BSD. In that respect the diet didn’t seem to make much difference one way or another, but high cholesterol is a hereditary thing in my family. It has come down a lot since then and I’d like to try lowering the dose a bit to see what happens, but all in good time. Good luck, and I’m glad you have a good adviser to help you navigate your way through.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone, and good luck for the rest of the journey.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Caronl,

Its worth checking for inch changes or a change in how your clothes fit, sometimes the scales keep hovering around the same level but body composition may be changing.

on

Hello everyone- I am still travelling along with you all but not doing great! I haven’t weighed myself for the last couple of weeks. I was maintaining at around 148 lb but my head has been all over the place re my shock osteoporosis diagnosis and I haven’t really been that focused on losing weight! . Anyway, I’ve decided to start the Alendronic Acid treatment but have to wait until after I’ve seen my dentist just in case I need any major dental work prior to starting the treatment. I had my Covid vaccine today so that is a relief. I feel very thankful for the hard work that has gone into the science and also the logistics of administering the vaccinations. Now that things are settling down for me I hope I can concentrate on getting back on track. I am going to concentrate on eating well and being healthy. I will reduce the amount of fat I eat over the next few months to try and bring my cholesterol down and I will eat less cheese/butter/cream. I am nowhere near where I want to be with my weight but over the recent, turbulent weeks I have realised that being my “ideal” weight isn’t really all that important either. Being healthy is more important for me at the moment. So, I am going to keep travelling on this bus, keep eating healthily, keep trying to lose weight and keep trying to stay positive.

Well done to all the passengers who have had great results over the last few weeks and big hugs to those who like me have not got into the swing of things and are still struggling. I am hoping that Yowser will find something fitting for the ups and downs of life to help us along. It certainly has been a rocky road for me over the last few months and to be fair, I think I’ve definitely learnt some valuable lessons about what is and what isn’t important. As I approach 60 I am thankful and grateful for so much. My mum died in her fifties very suddenly and so every day I feel blessed to be nearly 60 and retired and living a peaceful and happy life. I will try and get myself back on track and into a normal BMI to optimise my health as soon as possible. I’ll try and get a couple of pounds off before Easter!

• posted by Busybee
    on

I’m here though I too am a ghost passenger!
    Not had a good week (or two if I’m honest), with lots of issues regarding Hubby’s symptoms and treatments to sort out so, as usual for me, I’ve fallen by the wayside!
    I’m feeling sorry for myself, cross with myself for giving in to the comfort of carbs and booze, and ashamed that my promises to the bus passengers and indeed myself have not been kept.
    I so wanted to come out of lockdown having lost some weight and wearing my lovely new clothes but that’s not going to happen! However I actually haven’t gained any weight over the last year, but have lost and gained the same 6 – 7 pounds over and over again.
    Ah well, here I go again, again and in spite of everting, I’m not giving up!
    O.D.A.A.T.
    B X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh great! Good to see everyone!
    CCATHY what a heartfelt and well written last paragraph 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
    BUSYBEE I had a feeling things were maybe not great at the moment( maybe coz we are triplets) But you know,thats marvellous that you haven’t gained in a year,tho I understand very well the frustration of gaining and losing the same half stone
    DCT thanks for asking,Im doing well on the low carb shake plus one low carb meal = 800 cals. For some reason,it seems to suit me,I think Im just in the right head space right now. If only I can stay in that space for a long time!
    CARONL you’re struggling with the same half stone but bear in mind what JGWEN said. Often theres a Non Scale Victory to be had !
    Never mind folks. Come Easter when we’re looking for what comes next,maybe we can go all go and live on a desert island….no diet probs,just wear a grass skirt and two coconut halves,and feast on luscious fruits…🍉🍑🍍and freshly caught fish!😀
    XXXX
    Another day,another week,just around the corner…860,400 seconds per day to get it right!
    Can we do it! Yes we can,on our Magic Bus! The most difficult roads lead to the most beautiful destinations. 💕💕💕

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Yowser,
    I just wanted to tell you how your song choice “She’ll be Comin Round the Mountain” (just up a couple of posts) made me laugh…..
    My daughter in law and son are vegetarians, and very strict in their thinking.
    I taught my adorable granddaughters, Penelope and Eleanor, that song….. and of course there is a verse that says “we will kill the old red rooster when she comes” and we fling in some extra energy ad in this case it’s “hack hack”

And then, the next verse “and we’ll all have chicken and dumplings when she comes” (extra words, “yum yum!”)

Oh dear— the girls LOVE that song! And their vegetarian parents don’t know whether to laugh or let it go — and I am caught in the middle, thinking, oh no, I hope they are ok with this (I don’t care and we never discuss vegetarian decision, just make something non-meat when they visit)
    It has become a cringe moment for me but the girls chose it first when we are singing… oh my…
    Even folk songs are now suspect!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi CAlIFORNIAGIRL! Ah what lovely names your girls have!
    I hope your daughter lets it go,its just a song,its not like your cooking 🐓 and feeding it to the little ones is it without their parents permission.
    I would love two granddaughters to have fun with ❤️ Enjoy your singsongs! XX💕

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

PS CALIFORNIA GIRL just been for a short walk and sang that song there and back! 🎶🎶 xx

• posted by Busybee
    on

I’m up and running again Yowzer and feel back in control. (A change in Hubby’s meds has helped and we are sleeping better)
    Before I fell off the bus I was also doing well with a fast800 shake and one low carb meal, so I’m starting that regime again today. Perhaps I can salvage something from our Lent Boot Camp?
    Tomorrow has gone, tomorrow never comes so today is the day for new beginnings.
    O.D.A.A.T.
    X B

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi BUSYBEE My post just vanished gahhhhhh!
    Thats good news about yr hubby,lifes much better when you get your proper sleep.
    I too am doing a shake and a low carb meal. Lost half a stone in a week,water no doubt but seven pounds less to lug around,like a big bag of spuds
    Shall we sing “10 green bottles,hanging on the wall” to start the week?
    🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
    Happy Springtime,Bus Dwellers! XXX

• posted by Busybee
    on

Well done Yowzer – half a stone in a week is really good, and even if some of it is fluid, your hips and knees will be grateful for a little less of you to carry around!
    10 green bottles being sung with gusto – we need a few more to get us up to Easter!
    X B

• posted by RubyG
    on

I’m still on the bus, albeit maybe not fully paying attention, but clinging on to being 11st-something by Easter (last Friday was 11st 11.8lb). While I would love to stretch that to being in the bottom half of the 11s, I don’t think I have the discipline in me to lose 4lb in 2 weeks at the moment, so as long as I’m plodding along and still losing every week, I’ll take it. I dragged a pair of zip-off trousers out of the loft on Sunday – I bought them maybe 10 years ago, when I was at my lightest in decades, and they never quite fit me and so are unworn. They are tugging a bit across the side pockets (hips/bum issues) but they go on, do up, will not cause a hernia, although the hems will need taking up. They are my next pair of target trousers!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Howdy bus dwellers! Heres a thought for today!
    🐿🌷🐿🌷 Popcorn is prepared all in the same pot,the same heat,the same oil,but they dont all pop at the same time. So,remember this,don’t compare yourself to others,your time to pop is coming! 🐿🌸🐿🌸 xx

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hello everyone,I’ve well and truly fallen off the bus,rolled down a hill into a field and am floundering around in the mud.I have had a dreadful week or so food wise and need to give myself a serious talking to.I keep finding excuses to turn to emotional eating and it’s just undoing all of the hard work I put in before Christmas.I’m not giving up but could kick myself for getting into this situation.Am still reading the forum every day but then go and eat rubbish🙁Am going to weigh and measure myself tomorrow to shock myself into action!Dawn X

Please log in or register to post a reply.