Easter Bus Tour

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone.Yowser I was really hopeful when I heard the intentions about care home visits on the news so we are keeping everything crossed,will keep you posted!My sister received an email from my Dad’s care home a few weeks ago saying they were setting up family online sessions but my Dad got very confused the one time we tried that so,even though we would love to see him,we don’t want to put him through it so are hanging on until we can hopefully see him face to face.It’s still hard to comprehend that he’s just up the road but we haven’t hugged him or held his hand for 11 months.The 2 visits we had were many months ago now and through a window.He’s still just mainly just having his fortisip drink rather than eating and has lost a couple of stone but is still hanging on in there bless him.
    I thought you were going to have to stock up on lettuces yesterday as I was really craving rubbish but I managed to avoid total disaster😀I’m still not 100% committed but working my way towards it over next few days!!!Dawn X

• posted by Teagranny
    on

Hi Easter bus travellers 🐣 hope everyone is doing the best they can today. Just nipped to shop to get some essentials in for the weekend. Happy to report most of basket was veg/ some apples( for porridge) and some separate teen snack foods.
    Had lovely tuna lettuce wraps for lunch. And omelette for breakfast. So going well . Hubby on nights do need to prepare something in case snack attacks later while watching television!
    Dog walk 50 mins again so she’s happy too. I hope this positive mind-set stays a while so we can get back into the swing of BSD. Have to keep reminding ourselves that this way of eating is not only good for your body, but great for energy and positive thoughts too.
    The ODAAT mantra is definitely the way to go at the moment for a lot of us. So keep those big girl/ boy pants pulled right up over the weekend and enjoy the bus ride till Easter! 💐🌼🌱🌱

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi folks,just drying off after a thorough slapping with a wet lettuce😀
    Now there’s nothing remotely high carb,processed,alcoholic,or sugary left in my kitchen,all temptations gone,and the Carb Monster is sobbing in the corner. Sorry CarbMonster,time for you to take a hike! Feeling very much in the zone now and more than ready.Born ready!
    Hold tight everybody as the bus careers along,taking us ever closer to Easter!
    🎶 🎶Get your kicks on route 66!🎶🎶🎶

• posted by Teagranny
    on

Hi, well done yowzer , your positivity is brilliant to hear, definitely good idea to kick the carbmonster into touch. We dusted off the bikes and went for a leisurely 5 mile jaunt around cycle route. We are lucky to have a really good variety of nice cycling areas nearby. Even took grumpy teen lady. Did wonders for her mood. Had same lunch tuna wraps as yesterday 😋. Making some more ham lentil & tomato soup for tomorrow,so filling & tasty. As the weather warm up a bit and hopefully Boris has a bit of hopefulness for us Monday fingers crossed 🤞. Great news for the lovelies in care homes today that they can at least hold loved ones hands now . So lots of good news to go into Sunday with, and nearer to our Easter destination. Buckle up everyone it’s going to be a great ride! Ding ding 🛎

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done Yowzer on showing the Carb Monster who is boss! It really does help when there are no temptations on the house 🙂
    Tea granny your bike ride sounds great, you are Indeed lucky to have a choice of cycleways nearby. I haven’t rode a bike in decades, maybe one of these days I’ll get back into it, I used to enjoy it.
    I’ve had a good week with another loss, so now down 5.5kg, or 12lb, since New Year. Another kilo and that will be a whole stone I guess. I do use metric measurements more than imperial, but sometimes look at stones/pounds for milestones!
    I’m now 45% of the way towards my first major goal. Also this mornings weight is actually the lowest weight I have been in 2 YEARS, so very happy with that 🙂
    On Friday night my family had pizza but I stuck to plan and had Eggplant lasagne instead. I did have a few glasses of wine and soda, and enjoyed them 🙂 it’s definitely helping keeping wine to 1 or 2 nights per week.
    My calories for the week averaged 1020 per day. it was a 4:3 week, so 3 days of 800-900 calories, and a mix of 14;10 and 16:8 TRE – it depends on if it’s a work day for me or not.
    It’s a lovely sunny Sunday morning here so I’m going out for a walk soon. I’m going to make some Beef Rendang later in the slow cooker, it’s my favourite recipe from Fast800.
    Last night I had salmon with roast cherry tomatoes, broccoli, spring onion, dark soy sauce & sesame – simple but tasty.

I hope everyone else is travelling well this weekend,
    Cathy, take care of yourself x if now is not the right time for you to be focussing on weight loss, perhaps focus on your well being instead? We are all on different stages on our weight loss journeys, and just like real life journeys sometimes we need to take a break, have a stop over or short stay, and then resume travelling again 🙂

• posted by Busybee
    on

I wonder where the dismissed and very angry Carb Monsters go (In the UK)?
    Perhaps they have a cabinet meeting to discuss a new strategy to try and derail us again!
    We must watch out for the next daily briefing where they will outline their next plan of action.
    We must roll out our new and strong defences and stay on board the bus 🚌
    O.D.A.A.T.
    X B

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

SueBlue- congratulations on being your lowest weight for two years! That is fantastic news – You’re really in the zone and I am so happy for you. You really do deserve one of our awards 🥇.

I have decided that I can’t continue messing about any longer so tomorrow I will be reporting for duty and will be going shopping for healthy, BSD food and my new trainers should be here this week so I will be walking more (have been referred to orthopaedics for my arthritic big toes so hoping in time that I will get another steroid injection into my big toes- it made a difference previously). I was looking back at some photographs when I was my goal weight in 2017 and I looked good. It would make me feel so much better about myself if I could get back to goal – no excuses.

I had a dexa scan three weeks ago because two dentists recently told me that I had significant bone loss in my jaw so I asked my GP if she would refer me. I have had a text asking me to discuss the result on Wednesday so I am assuming they’re going to tell me it’s abnormal- most likely osteoporosis- 40 years of dieting and being a vegetarian won’t have helped! Let’s see what happens but whatever, I am not putting off getting to goal and getting fitter any longer. I’ve messed about since Christmas and am disappointed that I’ve undone all my hard work so tomorrow it’s BACK ON THE BUS and my carb monster can take a hike with yours Yowser.

Thanks everyone for all your kindness and support. I am hoping that I can put the past few weeks behind me now and move on to happier and healthier times ahead. I am going to be at my goal weight by my birthday in June- FACT!

on

Well I’ve had a good day – Coffee for breakfast with cream. Lunch was an egg salad and for my evening meal I made ratatouille and halloumi bake from the Fast 800 recipe book. I went for a walk and did 6,951 steps. Woke up feeling positive and in the mood to tackle my weight. Long may it last. One of my old work colleagues contacted me and she has embarked on a diet today so I have agreed to a weekly weigh to support her. We will simply tell each other how much we have lost week by week. She has a significant birthday in May and I have a significant birthday in June. My plan is not to set a target but to lose as much as I possibly can by 14th June- ideally getting to my goal weight! My planned trip to Ragdale Hall in July looks promising so it’s full steam ahead to shed the excess baggage. I find looking at photographs of when I was at goal really inspires me to do my best so I might print some off as reminders of where I hope to be in the summer.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Sounds like you are off to a great start Cathy 🙂
    The Ratatouille and Haloumi bake is one of my favourites, I’ve made it quite a few times, I usually add a can of beans to make it more filling.
    Today I made the Cheese and Spinach muffins from the Fast 800 Easy book – really delicious and so simple to make –
    Basically a can of white beans, egg, cheese, spring onion and spinach. I cooked them in my pie maker instead of the oven (I have to justify this purchase as I bought it during the early days of lockdown on the spur of the moment!).
    I’ve also made the Bean, kale and pesto soup from the Fast 800 recipe book – so that’s my lunches sorted for the next few days, and I made some apple and cinnamon steel cut oats in the slow cooker, so breakfast is sorted for a few days too 🙂
    I’m working all day for the next 3 days so it helps me to stay on track if my meals are prepared.
    I had decided to just weigh once a week on Fridays, but sneaked a weigh in this morning and was delighted to have discarded another 500g, making 6kg now, or 13lb and 3oz 🙂
    Just have to keep going. I wondered why this past week I have been losing more than usual so had a look at my macros in My Fitness Pal and saw that my carbs have been lower than they usually are over the past week, so perhaps that’s the key? Or it may be just that I was due a bit of a whoosh after a few weeks of smaller losses. Either way I’m happy 😊
    No-one has noticed yet, but then again as I’m spending all my time at home there is no one to notice! I thought my face looked thinner, and definitely my jeans are easier to do up. I donated one of my larger pairs to the charity shop last week as they were loose around the waist and I don’t want to fit into them again!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Congrats and well done SUEBLUE!X A Whoosh is always so welcome!👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
    CATHY Youre sounding very focused!👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽 Sorry about the possible osteoporosis. It may be early stages only- think its called osteopaena. I had two bone scans a while back and my spine and hips are really dodgy. Lots of little holes.Most of my life I haven’t eaten dairy..no cheese,yogurt,milk,so Ive lacked calcium ( on calcium tablets now but I don’t like taking them,they ( ahem) bung me up!)
    Ironically since 2016 and lowcarbing ive had vats of greek yog,lots of cheese,cream,butter..but I dont know, it may be too late now for these old bones to benefit from that.
    BUSYBEE yes! We must stop our CarbMonsters ganging up on us. Have you ever got a good look at yours. I often see glimpses of mine lurking just around the corner. Resembles a small gorilla and wears a pink tutu and a bow in her hair,but I’m not fooled,she’s a nasty piece of work.
    O.D.A.A.T. everyone….Onwards and downwards.

• posted by Busybee
    on

I actually saw my carb monster briefly yesterday after a few days of him being locked away! He is a green blob named Globby and he’s slimy, nasty and has horrible teeth and a gloating smile!
    I’ve seen him again this morning peeping out of the fridge but I’ve sent him packing!
    Right, left, right, left as the boot camp continues.
    O.D.A.A.T.
    X B

• posted by Mariet
    on

Congratulations SueBlue, well done! It’s good to see so many people still in the bus. I’m hanging on by my fingernails but trying hard to get back on.

I’ve started listening to a weight loss motivational app in the hope that it’ll get my head in the right place, I know from experience until my head is right I’ll keep on floundering like I am right now.

ODAAT!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

BUSY🐝 your CarbMonster sounds quite a catch!😀 I must introduce him to my CM,maybe they’ll run away together and leave us in peace! 🤸‍♂️🤸🏼🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️Xx

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone. great to hear some success stories on here. SueBlue!! You are nearly down a stone which is fabulous. I’m so pleased for you. Inspired by you, I have finally ordered the Fast 800 recipe book so I can reboot my meal preparation. I tend to get into a bit of a rut.

Cathy it’s great to hear how positive you are and I’m glad you’ve got a diet buddy too. Lucky you going to Ragdale! I went there for the first time in 2019 and loved it. I do want to go again but it probably won’t be this year. It’s lovely to have things to look forward to.

Mariet I hear you! Well done for hanging in there and hope the motivational app helps. Let us know?

And Busybee and Yowzer I hope both your monsters get the message now! No wet lettuce needed here. Btw you have a very vivid imagination BB!

Dawn I do hope that you – or at least one of your family – will be able to get to your Dad soon X. And Teagranny well done for the cycling. I also agree with you about hopefulness. I am feeling very positive today. A combination of some gorgeous sunshine (I took my poor dog for a very long walk this morning!) and also Boris’s roadmap yesterday. It hopefully means that my wedding can go ahead in September and also that I get to see my Mum towards the end of May. Am keeping everything crossed!!

Must get on now, meant to be working. Love to everyone reading this, and have a great week X

on

As Boris said last night, the crocus of hope is poking through the frost! I am intending to come out of lockdown In June flying out of our bus as a beautiful butterfly 🦋 to welcome the end of a very difficult, third lockdown. So much to look forward to. I am supposed to be going to a wedding which was cancelled from last year on 19th June but am uncertain as to whether it will go ahead. Dreamscometrue- your Wedding planned for September looks safe and won’t it be wonderful to see our families in May. I’ve not seen my eldest son who lives in London since March last year! It’s ridiculous!

Today I had broccoli and Stilton soup from the fast 800 book for lunch and some leftovers of last nights Ratatouille and Halloumi bake. Both delicious! SueBlue, I’m making the bean and kale soup again tomorrow. It was the first thing I made from the book and we both loved it. So tasty and nutritious. Even as a vegetarian there are enough recipe choices and I am happy I bought it. You should be on commission Sue!

Mariet- what is the name of the app you are listening to for motivation? I think it might help a few of us going forward. I am so happy that you’re still clinging on with us. I was half on and half off the bus for the last few weeks but am firmly back in my seat once again.

Day 3 tomorrow for me and again I am taking things one day at a time.
    🚌 ☀️ 🦋 👙

• posted by Teagranny
    on

Good evening everyone,
    Lovely positive posts from everyone today and some delicious recipe ideas ( we still getting through the ham/ lentil/Tom soup) addicted now so is hubby 😂 . Loving the carb monster 👹 descriptions ! We all have one lurking in the background somewhere 😆
    Hopefully with the “roadmap “ news we have some good incentives to keep on the bus however our bumpy our journey. So have a great few days fellow passengers! Onwards & downwards as they say. Ding ding hold tight ! 👍💐🤗

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,
    Week a bit bumpy so far food wise but getting better each day!
    Thanks DCT,fingers crossed my mum should see my dad soon.
    Dawn X

on

Day 3 doing well. Bean and kale soup for lunch- not strictly low carb but very nutritious and tasty.
    Not great news this morning re my Dexa Scan. My GP informed me that I have osteoporosis with a significant T score and due to my age they need to rule out any organic cause before considering treatment. Blood tests booked and she will ring me on 16th March for a further consultation. What a shock that was. I was expecting osteopaenia but not osteoporosis. So it’s two steps forward and three steps back once again for me. I feel as though I keep being tested but I am not giving up on my diet because I want to optimise my health. It has thrown me into a state of apathy and I haven’t been able to concentrate on anything today but I haven’t given into my carb monster and I am in ketosis according to my Ketostix.

I am hoping that despite having a difficult February I will weigh in less than I did on 1st February when I weigh myself on 1st March even if it’s just 1 lb. that is my February goal! Hope everyone is having a good day.

on

Gosh Cathy you’re really going through the mill right now. So sorry to hear about your osteoporosis. I hope the blood tests bring positive news and that a suitable treatment can be found. I agree that a good diet is important now more than ever, for overall health and well-being as much as weight loss.

I hope that all of us on the bus 🚌 can help you battle on.

Sue the Fast800 recipe book arrived today! Tomorrow is my weekly shop, so ratatouille and halloumi bake it is 😊🚌

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy so sorry to hear about your osteoporosis diagnosis 🙁
    I kept thinking about that Chumba Wumba song “I get knocked down but I get up again” – despite all of the things that have been happening to you lately you get up again and keep going 🙂
    I’ve been on osteoporosis medication for about 18 months now, since I broke my shoulder, it’s ok just a once per week tablet.
    DCT – good to hear your book arrived. I can recommend the Beef Rendang, Thai prawn curry, Pear and cinnamon porridge, chocolate beetroot brownies, spicy lentil soup, Dan’s veggie bolognaise -. they are the ones I’ve made the most I think, but TBH I haven’t had a recipe I haven’t liked yet!

• posted by Mariet
    on

That’s disappointing Cathy. I’ve never had aDEXA scan, last time I looked into it they were outrageously expensive but I notice they have come down in price so maybe it is worth me doing it- it might horrify me into the right headspace.

Speaking of which, I have two Apps that I’m listening to, one is called ‘Lose Weight’ and the other is ‘Ultimate Weight Loss’ which I prefer. I think it is helping, much less temptation felt even though I was at a retirement dinner today, no bad choices which feels like a win. Good to see so many still hanging in there, I am not weighing for a while but feeling hopeful.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi folks,MARIET i might get that app you mention,glad its helping,might help me too!
    SUEBLUE that song is a good one for us all to sing loudly as we bowl along the road on our special bus
    A once a week medication for osteo? Whats it called? I take a daily one but it makes me constipated so I often miss it.
    I could ask my GP can I try yours
    And yes I agree,CCATHY keeps going,despite everything,she’s a real trouper!❤️
    TEAGRANNY your Carb Monster looks gruesome ! X

on

Ooh just a quickie for readers in the UK. Busy day today but flicking through the Daily Mail now (yup I hate it too but I do like the Thursday women’s features!) I see that there is a new Michael Mosley programme tonight on Channel 4 following up the progress of the four people featured in last year’s How to Lose a Stone in 3 Weeks programme. Definitely one to watch!

• posted by Busybee
    on

Morning/evening fellow passengers and I hope you journey’s are rumbling along.
    I have never used Apps before but have recently downloaded two following recommendations on here – Happy Scales and yesterday, Ultimate Weight Loss. As I’ve said many times, I always do better when I try something new.
    I’m prescribed a monthly tablet to prevent osteoporosis as I have to take steroids which is much better than the weekly one I used to take.
    I’m aiming to stay firmly seated on the bus over the weekend – which will be a first this year!!!
    Enjoy the sunshine.
    O.D.A.A.T.
    X B

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all, I have been quiet since my last failed relaunch. And am now here to rejoin bootcamp and bus. I am so impressed by the perseverance you are showing. And I hope some of it rubs off on me.

I was reflecting on my repeated failures last night (how positive!) and decided that in my head this has to be a battle bus as well as an Easter bus for me. And this is my battle with comfort or what-the-hell eating. So before I eat anything this week, I have resolved to check whether it is *really* hunger or:
    Boredom
    Anxiety
    Thirst
    Tiredness
    Loneliness (missing my social life – no disrespect to family!)
    Emotion
    As I read on here a week or so ago, food (and particularly sugar) is certainly not the answer to any of these needs!

If I can just be a bit more mindful on why I have been making stupid choices, it would be huge progress. It was all so easy in 2017-2019. Sigh!

on

Hi Caronl
    Like you, I am struggling but we are still here and doing what we can. I think Covid has had more of an impact on our mental well-being than we realise. .Recent events have certainly made me think “what the hell” and sometimes I actually think I’d be happier if I never got on the scales ever again. I am on the battle bus with you and I get cross with myself for letting myself get out of control in 2019. I weighed as low as 130 in 2017 though I couldn’t maintain that weight but how on earth did I ever get there-I don’t honestly think I was doing anything different! It’s a mystery to me. I do wonder whether our bodies have got used to how little we eat and so are unforgiving when we eat a little more. We know what to do and it won’t be long now before we can get some normality back in our lives and hopefully that will help. I find it encouraging to think about coming out of lockdown looking fabulous 🦋 and being proud that I worked hard to not let myself down despite many set backs. I’m going to try the mindfulness apps that SueBlue mentioned to see if they can help. I think your plan will work this week, think before your eat. Simple but effective.
    I hope to weigh in on 1st March slightly less than I weighed on 1st Feb and that is my goal going forward When I weigh in every month on the 1st to be less than I was the previous month even if it is only 1lb and to take it one day at at a time. I have found that being too strict on myself makes me feel resentment so I think simple goals will work better for me and let’s remember the most important thing is to be kind to ourselves. We have all had a very tough year.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi ClarinetCathy, thanks for replying. I’m with you on wanting to look fabulous when lockdown ends. I really want to walk back into choir rehearsals at least looking the same as pre-Corona! Can’t find the blue butterfly icon, but will have that in my mind’s eye! WIll look at the apps too. xx

on

Caronl and Cathy I agree that the end of lockdown gives us something to aim towards. Let’s hope there are lots of beautiful butterflies emerging! We also still have 5 weeks left of the bus journey, so maybe time to set some mini goals? Cathy I like yours of just aiming to be lighter each month than the last: it is purposeful and achievable, and also kind.

I mentioned the Michael Mosley programme the other night, and there were a few takeaways from it that might be helpful. It was called something like How to Maintain a Healthy Weight, and caught up with the five volunteers from his programme last year about How to Lose a Stone in 21 Days. Some of the key points I picked up were:

* Only 20% of people who lose a lot of weight manage to keep it all off. Most put at least some of it back on. So if you are struggling, this is normal. But whenever you either have lost weight or are in the process of losing it, it is a plus for your health, as it has a positive effect on so many health indicators.

* Your metabolism and the rate at which you lose weight is affected by the amount of muscle you have. So, building up your muscular strength should help your body to burn fat more efficiently. Any resistance exercise will help with this.

* It’s really important to keep focused on the why. I know JGwen always reminds us of this too. There is no point in getting obsessed with reaching a number on the scales if it is not relevant to anything else in your life. One of the group was struggling and had a therapy session to help her identify what was important to her and how being a healthy weight fitted in with this. She identified family and being in good health for her family as being the most important things to her. So the therapist suggested she keeps this at the front of her mind and also make sure she has lots of pictures around of her with her family to keep her focused.

* Also, this same person confessed to getting really demotivated whenever the scales show an increase. So the advice was not to bother with the scales but use something else as an indicator. She settled on a particular pair of jeans. Any time they feel tight she knows she has to step up the effort; but if they fit well, she’s doing ok. I know we’ve discussed similar things before – JGwen’s belt and Cathy’s white jeans come to mind – but it’s interesting to have this reinforced.

Overall, the message about being kind to yourself also came through in the programme. MM did say that putting the effort into weight loss can at times be “brutal” (this is the context of how just 4 biscuits can undo an hour’s exercise!) but the overall tone of the programme was that you can definitely succeed but will also have times when you are not succeeding, and that’s to be expected, just get back on top of it as soon as you are able.

Hope this helps someone reading this. And the programme is well worth a watch on catch-up if you are UK-based.

Happy weekend everyone. The sun is shining, the end of lockdown is in sight. Let’s do this!!

on

Hi DCT and thank you for your post about the MM programme. I did record it but haven’t got round to watching it yet. Encouragingly, what you have said, makes me feel “normal” and I feel encouraged that others feel like I do about this way of eating and it’s affect on how we feel. My White jeans are waiting patiently in the wardrobe. One day, one day!

Had a good week despite the shock of my diagnosis and listened to a hypnosis tape last night and fell asleep! Had a wonderful sleep last night. I will get weighed on Monday and hopefully record a February loss! To be slightly less month on month is a perfect way of slowly getting to goal whilst being kind to myself which I have come to realise is very important.

Lots to look forward to……. 🦋 ☀️ ⛱🥇 but definitely not this ⛸ with my osteoporotic hips!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi DCT,
    I did catch the Dr MM program.

What I also liked from the program was the reassurance to take some of the sting out of yoyo dieting. Even if you loose a lot of weight and put it back on again you will have a few years while the weight comes back a little at a time and there are still health benefits from that period of time at a lower weight. – Hopefully that will give some reassurance to those who return to the forum having discarded and regained.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi, I guess the MM programme was a one off as I cant find it for next Thursday. Shame as I cant use catch up in France. Sounds like it was a good message.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Yowzer – my once per week tablet is ACTONEL once a week, Risedronate sodium 35mg, but I take a Vitamin D and calcium tablet daily also (amongst others lol) but these are the two for Osteoporosis prevention/treatment . I still don’t know if I have osteoporosis as my last bone scan seemed ok it’s just that i shouldn’t have broken my shoulder bone when I did, and I’ve been on steroids on and off for 12 years, so am being treated for it anyway.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hellloooo? Anyone home? The bus has been quiet over the weekend..think we’re all snoozing as we pass thru some peaceful countryside!
    Thanks SUEBLUE will make a note of that to ask my GP about X
    And thanks JGWEN and DCT for the yoyo reassurance….that really helps! X im going to find that prog on catch up,can anyone remember the title?
    Well we still have a good few weeks before we draw up in our bus to find the Easter Bunny waiting,carrot sticks and chocolate in his paws. Which will you choose 🤔 I think I might want a little of both! And perhaps a nibble from the Bunny Basket of Buns? 😋

• posted by RubyG
    on

I’m still on the bus, quietly trying to behave 🙂
    I must try to find the MM program on catch-up.
    Still on track, albeit a bit more slowly for me, to be in the next stone down by Easter.
    I have a more savoury than sweet palate , and my late Mum, many years ago, used to buy hubby and I a 2kg bucket of pickled herrings sold for Passover, instead of Easter Eggs (none of our family is Jewish, but our area had quite a large Jewish community, so the food was readily available).
    In previous years hubby has baked fresh hot-cross buns, and my slightly quirky take was to bake Easter bunny pasties (yes, the clue for the content is in the name) – so this year we will plan to do something different.
    Have a good few weeks everyone, we can do this!

on

Morning everyone and I am still here on the bus. Not making any progress whatsoever! I weighed in today and I weighed 0.2lb heavier than I was on 1st February. Slightly disappointed but it’s been a difficult few weeks! Slow and steady etc etc! Must try harder! Maybe March will be kinder to me. Just don’t seem to be able to make any headway. I am sort of hoping that my blood tests next week will throw some light on maybe why I am struggling to lose weight! I am having a whole range so let’s see. I am a couple of pounds lighter than I was this time last year? Rubbish! It seems that I am only maintaining and maybe that’s not a bad thing and maybe my expectations are too high. Maybe I should be happy at my current weight which is not in the normal BMI range (28) and just aim to maintain. Lots of things going through my head today. I think I’ll feel happier once I’ve had my bloods done and my next consultation with the GP to discuss my blood test results and osteoporosis therapy etc etc. In the meantime I will continue to eat low carb, eat well and walk as much as I can. I am awaiting an orthopaedic opinion re my arthritic big toes which are very painful so hopefully if I get another injection I will be able to clock up some miles!

I am going to keep going and see if I can manage to lose any weight during March. If not, then I might have to have a big think about things going forward!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Cathy, I hope the blood tests help in providing the information you need. On another note, being a couple of pounds lighter than this time last year is no mean feat considering what the last year has been like.
    A BMI of 28 may be a good weight for you if you’re healthy and can maintain the weight.
    I am still aiming for a BMI in the overweight range, as I’m currently obese, but being such a shorty, my normal BMI tops out at a weight of 9st something, which I really don’t think is achievable. I want to be at a weight where I feel comfortable in myself, healthy (including bloods), able to eat wholesome food in a sustainable way, and able to do the activities I want to do unhindered by either bulk or feableness, no matter what the number on the scales may say. That’s my rant for today it seems!
    Keep on keeping on.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all,

Cathy, being around the same weight as this time last year is pretty good. Look all around you – on TV, in the news etc, at all those people who have put weight on at this time. No-one is rapping them over knuckles so you shouldnt do it to yourself. Having a lot of other things to deal with besides the obvious s””t storm with are living though is enough to throw anyone off track. You say you will have to have a good think about things going forward if you dont lose weight in March. Not going forward is going backwards and I am sure you dont want to do that. Even maintaining is great. Big cheers.

Ruby, I am like you, a little shorty at 4’11” so any extra weight on me shows and I am in the obese range – just. Would love to be ‘normal’ but still being here is enough for me right now. I have been 1kg lighter every time I have seen my doctor after the first glitch at the beginning of lockdown so I want to be another 1kg down in 2.5 weeks times. We can only do our best.

• posted by Busybee
    on

I’m still here and enjoying playing with my apps to help motivate me.
    The discipline of the boot camp is (mostly) keeping me on the straight and narrow and although I’ve only lost three pounds.
    I am eating the right foods, though portions are too big, and have greatly reduced my alcohol intake, which must be good,
    I’m not ready for the limp lettuce treatment yet and am marching on right, left, right, left. albeit it slowly.
    O.D.A.A.T.
    X B

on

Hi everyone and Happy Monday!

For all those interested in the MM programme last week, it was on UK Channel 4 on Thursday called How To Keep a Healthy Weight. I’ve found this link on All4, which looks as if you can watch it online as long as you register/login/
    https://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-keep-a-healthy-weight-michael-mosley

Cathy I am sorry you are so disappointed and understand how discouraging that feels. But I do agree with sunshine girl that to weigh less now than you did before the first lockdown is a real achievement in itself. And with all that has been happening in your life recently you’ve done incredibly well not to gain further. I just hope that the blood tests help to shed some light on all this for you. But please be encouraged that you are at least still heading in the right direction despite all your recent setbacks and heartbreaks X

I made the ratatouille and halloumi bake last night. I wasn’t overly keen tbh, but suspect I may have rather overdone the tomatoes (I never read recipes properly!) so will give it another go and get everything in the right proportion next time 😉 I’m also looking forward to trying some of the other fantastic looking recipes in the book. I think variety really helps you to keep plodding on.

Talking of plodding on, Busybee it sounds like you are doing well and have no need of limp lettuces. I bet your carb monster is sulking big time! And Ruby, glad you’re still on board. And you’re right, this whole mission is about getting ourselves as fit as we can be to enjoy the things we want to do. Numbers can be a helpful part of that process, but are not the most important thing in themselves.

Anyway, love to all, and hope this week goes well for everyone.

• posted by Teagranny
    on

Good evening everyone, been so busy back at school getting ready for mass testing 🙃 not had time to check in here. All’s going quite well, planning and cooking ahead seem to be the key for us. Reading posts it seems we all need to hang on to the bars on the bus whilst it twists and turns, hurtling towards Easter ! Taking care to not fall off our seats ! So, keep on going fellow passengers and as you all say ODAAT will bring us to our Easter destination. Have a great week! 🤞💐🚍🐣

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,yet ANOTHER reset for me today,my head has really not been in the right place since Christmas,I’m hoping to think hard about my ‘why’s’ today to keep me on track.I know if I can get just one really decent week under my belt the rest will follow so will aim on getting through ODAAT.Well done to everyone who is managing to keep focused and to anyone,like me,who isn’t,we CAN do this. Dawn X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

So glad to find all these messages! I didnt get notifications,my tick got unticked!
    CCATHY!BUSYBEE!TEAGRANNY!DAWN!SUNSHINEGIRL!RUBY!DCT!thanks for being here,was wondering had our bus got lost somewhere. Yayyyyy the bus is still rollin’!
    XXXXXXX
    ( ps. DAWN,im struggling too,if its any consolation,Im getting whacked with the wet lettuce daily! )

• posted by Busybee
    on

Today is the beginning of week 3 of the Lent Boot Camp and there is lots of time for us to really make a difference.
    Dawn and Yowzer, be kind to yourselves and don’t hit too hard with the limp lettuce! Keep marching on right left right left and you can kick that carb monster out of the door.
    It’s strange how we seem to have our bad patches when others are doing well but that’s one of the best parts of travelling on the bus with our fellow passengers. There’s lots of love and support for us all in this journey.
    Keep on keeping on O.D.A.A.T.
    X B

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi folks!
    Hiii BUSYBEE!keep buzzin!
    You’re right,we all have our highs and lows,but lets keep marching coz we’ll use up a ton of calories. Even if we only stand by our bus seat and march on the spot
    I know what my weak point is.Begins with B and ends with,oh no not again…. I cant leave bread alone. I can do without rice,pasta,cereals,spuds soooo easily,but bread?
    Even tho I leave it off my home delivery order,I still find myself in the corner shop browsing the bread selection. So for now,Im having a few slices per day,but its hardly a low carb WOE
    Sorry to have caused a lettuce shortage but Ive had to buy them all,as the swiping myself needs to be done at the very least once or twice a day 🙄🙄🙄
    ~ 🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸 🌸 “Dream Big and make it happen” 🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸 ~

on

Hello everyone
    Broccoli and Stilton soup made this morning for lunch from the fast800 recipe book. Bought some lovely new loose leaf tea, Mint and Caramel so will be enjoying that as a treat from Quinteassential Fine Teas. I said I would do a weekly weigh in with an ex colleague to try and encourage her on her weight loss journey. She has put on a lot of weight over lockdown so I though it would be nice to buddy up with her to encourage her. She is mainly healthy eating and I am doing what I know best, low carb. Yesterday we both weighed in. She had lost two pounds and guess what…… I had put on a pound! Unbelievable! That’s why I don’t like weighing myself.

I’m fired up today to prove that those scales aren’t going to win and I desperately want to be at goal in Mid June for my 60th Birthday. So it’s soup for lunch and I’ve got salad for my evening meal. I’ve gone right off eggs which is a shame because being vegetarian they were a good source of protein but I just can’t seem to face them at the moment, I’ve got some Longley Farm cottage cheese which is yummy so I will have that with some rocket and peppers. I’ve had some Greek Yoghurt and raspberries at lunchtime and I’ve got some 85% dark chocolate to have a small piece with coffee this evening.

It’s getting harder and harder to keep battling to get my BMI down to 25 but I will keep trying one day at a time. I am sad to say I’ve made absolutely NO progress whatsoever but hopefully things will start shifting SOON.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Yowser I think I have also contributed to the lettuce shortage,I’ve been whacked so many times with it my eyes are watering!I have suddenly had a craving for cereal which I used to have for supper regularly years ago but haven’t been bothered about at all for ages.I can stick to my food plan all day then,whereas before once I had finished my last meal at 6.30 and would have nothing but water or herbal tea until breakfast the following day,for the last few weeks I’ve been pouring myself a bowl of cereal at about 8.30 which obviously then starts cravings so it’s a vicious circle which I really need to break.I don’t want to banish cereal from the house as DH enjoys it.I’ve managed so far not to have any tonight so hopefully I’m breaking the habit! Dawn X

• posted by Mariet
    on

Somehow it makes me feel better to see that I’m not the only one dragging me feet. 😁
    I am fine all week, one meal a day apart from instant coffee with a splash of milk during the day. Probably walking half the days. Then I get to the weekend, one social event and that’s enough to scupper any progress even if I stay low carb and only go over on calories. Previously that wouldn’t have derailed me but oh well. Nothing on this weekend and I’ve been very diligent all week so maybe a little progress next week.

My son has had his COVID jab and I’m so relieved because he works in ICU and if there are any cases, he looks after them. Probably another month or so before I get one but we are so fortunate here with no local transmission that unless there’s another quarantine outbreak I’m not worried. I hope your road out of lockdown is smooth.

on

Hi Mariet, how is your weekend going? I agree that weekends can be much harder to stay on track. So glad your son has had his jab, that’s such a relief for you.

I had my first jab yesterday. Felt quite nervous waiting to go in, but the staff and volunteers were all lovely and do their best to put you at your ease. Feeling a bit tired today, but otherwise ok. Hope that everyone else is well and plodding on?

I’m doing ok, my weight is fairly steady with a very gradual downward trend. But it does vary very much from day to day. My main priority – over and above any numerical goal – is to get rid of my belly fat, and this seems to be the hardest thing to do. Interestingly, I read about some new research this week from the University of Sydney. It seems to show that whilst intermittent fasting is great for losing weight generally, it may actually make losing your belly fat harder. The study (in mice) found that both visceral and subcutaneous belly fat change behaviour during intermittent fasting, going into “preservation mode” and becoming resistant to releasing fat.

The main researcher, Mark Larance, said that this indicates that belly fat may be able to adapt to repeated fasting bouts to protect its energy store. It’s possible that regular repeated fasting triggers a preservation mechanism in visceral fat, which could be the reason why it can be resistant to weight loss after long periods of dieting.

I’m no scientist but will keep my eye open for further developments on this. Certainly I have found that the main place I’m now carrying fat is round the belly, and it just does not want to move! Anyway, something to think about. I may go back to my original meal strategy from when I started this WoE of three small meals a day rather than 16:8 or 18:6. See if that makes a difference . . . .

Have a lovely weekend everyone. Three and a half weeks to go to Easter! X

• posted by bennyboy
    on

Hi dreamscometrue
    The body is a mysterious thing!. However i feel if you eat 800 calories a day for long enough, even the most wily and stubborn fat cells will have to surrender!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Dreamscometrue.

That study into intermittent fasting does not identify what the rats were fed with during their eating windows. – If they were on a high carb food intake then insulin levels would block access to fat stores. –

There was a recent podcast on InsulinIQ facebook page by Dr Bikman on fat cells and insulin sensitivity. Well worth a listen.

Please log in or register to post a reply.