Courgette

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Carolg
    on

Has anybody got any recipes for courgette. Our plants in the garden are starting to produce lots and I am looking for ideas.

Lunch or dinner ideas if poss. Not really into muffins and breads.

Love the courgetti with bolognaise from the book, and the ribbons with feta and raspberries but more inspiration required

• posted by Frog
    on

spiralize, heat in the microwave, stir in cottage cheese – add some parmesan & black pepper to flavour

Ratatouille – my favourite!

• posted by Verano
    on

I make a courgetti puttanesca. Make a base of a good tomato sauce, add some anchovies, sliced black olives and capers. I like a good dash of Tabasco. Heat through and toss the cougetti into the sauce until warmed through. Put into a bowl and grate some Parmesan over. It’s amazing how filling it is and I like it just like that but you could always add grilled chicken or prawns or tuna etc.

• posted by Verano
    on

P.S. I make a batch of tomato sauce …. 2 chopped onions, as much garlic as you like softened in some olive oil, 2 cans of tomatoes, tomato purée, salt, pepper, Italian herbs and simmer for an hour or so until nice and thick. Freeze in portions, at least six, and hey presto a quick meal with the recipe above! I also garnish with some fresh basil.

• posted by Frog
    on

that sounds good verano
    I will get some later – sadly no abundant garden for me!

I ate so much courgette when I started BSD I got a bit “courgetted out” and haven’t had any for a while

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Is it worth buying a spiralizer and if so, which one.

Thanks

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

I bought mine before xmas but have only just started using it. It is great though! Mine is by Salter with three blades. They all look much of a muchness to me. Amazon have the Salter @ £11.99 and free delivery or its £14.99 at Argos.

• posted by Frog
    on

I bought one of the ‘pencil sharpener’ type spiralizers that I’ve been very happy with – as with the courgettes, I used it loads when I started BSD, slightly less now, but still useful to have.
    Also it’s about the size of a 400g can of food, so great if you don;t have a lot of space.
    Just under £10 from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C2UAJ56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’d mused on the board about getting one, and just after I’d placed my order, Captain Lynne recommended another slightly larger one – I think she said that she’d started off with one of the small ones, then upgraded
    Cuisique Spiralizer – £25, but does more “with Extra 4 Blade Bundle including – Fruit Slicer, Mandolin, Vegetable Cutter and Juicer” Lynne said that it’s still fairly compact. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PR54V30/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=25QDCOFFOHKHK&coliid=I17194YQUQY0J&psc=1

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi,

I have the cuisique and it works fine, however, it was quite expensive… saw one very similar in design at Lidl… much cheaper!!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I have ordered a Kuuk spiralizer. I live in France and it seemed to be the most recommended. It will be here on Tuesday.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine-girl

Enjoy your new toy!

I never knew that courgettes could taste so good. I’d only put them in casseroles etc before. I’m really looking forward to making cougetti lasagne just not sure about the texture! Has anybody made the lasagne?

• posted by Frog
    on

I haven’t, but a while ago a poster called Joseph’s Mum wrote about a lasagne with egg and cottage cheese as the pasta substitute

I just managed to locate it!
    ” lasagne using full fat cottage cheese mixed with a beaten egg as a substitute for the pasta sheets. Worked really well! The egg set and it formed a nice cheesy layer between the mince and tomato mixture.”

I with there was more ability to filter and search forum posts – by date range or poster would be helpful – as the database gets larger, there’s more and more to crunch through (with apologies to anyone that is craving a bag of crisps 🙂 ).
    In trying to track it down, I spotted that I have made nearly 500 posts!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Frog

Thanks for that but I really can’t imagine cottage cheese mixed with egg. Probably because I’m not a great lover of cottage cheese! In saying that the Longley Farm full fat cottage cheese really is good …. almost like cream cheese!

I think I may just give the lasagne a miss altogether!

‘Crisps’ what are they!!!!

• posted by Carolg
    on

digging in my recipe folder came across this – meant as starter for 6 – going to use 2 or 3 big courgettes and have as lunch for 2

Baked Courgettes with cheese and apple stuffing

Oven 200

6 med sized courgettes
    2 sweet eating apples
    2oz butter
    2 cloves garlic
    2 tbsp chopped parsley
    2oz cream cheese
    Salt and pepper

Wash & trim courgettes. Simmer in salted water for 7 min. Drain and allow to cool.
    Peel core and grate apples
    melt butter in frying pan. Cook apple over low heat until they begin to soften.
    Cut courgettes in half(lengthwise) Scoop out centre to approx1/4″ of the skin. Chop finely. Add to apples & continue cooking, stirring frequently until both are tender.
    Add garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.
    Mash well with the back of a wooden spoon so that the mixture is almost a purée.
    Stir in the cream cheese and continue cooking until it has melted and is thoroughly mixed.

Butter an oven proof dish just large enough to hold the courgette halves in one layer, Fill the centre of each with the apple mixture. Pack it in firmly and smooth the top.

Bake in the centre of the oven for 45min

The filling can be prepared in advance

Taste good but is a bit of a footer.

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

Carol is just another Rachel Ray that needs her own show on the Food Network!

Could you post the recipe in the recipe section? Great for everyone to read!

I have one question (Too bad your name isn’t Dinah):

What’s Cooking In The Kitchen With Carol?

Live Long And Prosper

• posted by Weissdorn
    on

Last night I halved a courgette, and painted it with olive oil and put it in a dish in the oven, skin side down at 175°C.
    Then I diced 1/2 an onion, and sliced 2 Portebellos.
    Then with 1 tbl of olive oil I fried them in a ceramic frying pan, and added 150 g ground beef.
    After the onions turned glassy, the portebellos got soft, and ground beef turned brown, I added a bit of salt, pepper and spicy paprika.
    Then I spoted the mix with a few dots of concentrated tomatoe paste out of the tube, to give it colour.
    I left the courgette in the oven about 20 minutes, then added the beef mix on top and baked it another 10 minutes.
    Then I pulled it out and sprinkled a few Paramesan cheese chips over it, and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes, and…

Dinner was served. Double the recipe for 2 people.

Please log in or register to post a reply.