Cocoa nibs or cocoa powder

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by eagerhaggis
    on

Another question from a newbie. Can you use cocoa powder in recipes instead of cocoa nibs as I’ve never heard of these before?

• posted by FranFal
    on

Hi Eagerhaggis, cocoa nibs are little chips of whole cocoa beans. They are nutty, bitter and slightly waxy. So, no I don’t think that you could replace with cocoa powder, maybe try some chopped walnuts or almonds that would give you a similar texture. I found cocoa nibs in Sainsbury’s, and most health shops should sell them. However, if you are looking for chocolate flavour hit you could try some cocoa powder in the recipe & see. You might create a new delicious BSD treat!

• posted by eagerhaggis
    on

Thanks FranFal for the tip. I will check out Sainsburys to see if they stock them locally.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Cocoa nibs can are also available on Amazon. I make a yummy sprinkle, with cocoa nibs, flakes chilli and a little cocoa and use it on yogurt and raspberries, salads, meats – it’s amazing what it goes with.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Sounds yum SunnyB. Might try that myself!

Please log in or register to post a reply.