Change in Hba1c – what does it actually indicate.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bogart
    on

In April I had a Hba1c test which gave a result of 60. This was repeated and gave a result of 56. I was told that I am type 2 diabetic. I am 60 years old. Since then I have cut out sugar and reduced carbohydrate intake and lost 10kg.

The recently repeated Hba1c reading was 38.

What does this signify? Am I still type 2 diabetic but just controlling my blood sugar better or am I now non-diabetic?

Thanks

Brian

• posted by Ziggy
    on

It signifies that you are controlling your blood sugar better. You may also have reversed your diabetes.
    One way to test may be by deliberately eating a high quick acting carby meal, having rested your BG beforehand. Then measure your BG 1 hour and 2 hours after eating. If your BG rises significantly you still have diabetes but have it under control, if it does’t you may have reversed your diabetes.
    There used to be a coca cola test to do at home – they did it in the doctors, where they got you to drink a 10 oz full fat bottle of coca cola and measure the results at an hour and two hours – found a link to it here https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/type-2-diabetes/84146-my-home-glucose-tolerance-test/ It is known as an OGTT Oral Clucose Tolerance Test

Hope this helps – BTW your results and recent HbAic speak fro themselves

Z

• posted by Bogart
    on

That’s exactly the information I was looking for. What I think I’ll do is to keep on as I am and then at the end of the year do the OGTT.

Thanks for the reply

Brian

Please log in or register to post a reply.