Breakfast Guidance Please!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Hi all, including Plumpcious who was my penpal on a different thread previously 🙂
    So I am now ‘officially’ on the BSD plan – 9th May was my kick off date. I had a trial run for about 10 days, prior to what I always knew would be a calories laden trip to NYC and a hen weekend, and for the few days I tried it I already felt a lot better physically.. and my jeans got looser! Now I am glad to be back on the straight and narrow after my recent excesses and looking forward to improved health and smaller clothes. The food and recipes are perfect for me and I’m not really conscious of feeling hungry (unlike on the 5.2) but the one meal I am struggling with is breakfast. I need something to start my day and without toast or cereal and with limited time due to busy family household it is a challenge to eat properly. Portobello toasts are great (but take time), eggs are good (but no toast allowed) and this morning I had greek yoghurt with berries and almonds.. which was a gastronomic trial at 8.30am! Anyone else have ideas for quick/easy brekkies?

• posted by sianeyb
    on

I love 30g of Organic jumbo oats mixed with 210floz water cook for 2m 30 sec in the microwave. Once cooked thin out and cool down with a splash of full fat milk or yogurt and mix in around 1/3 pack of defrosted summer berries. I buy Waitrose own and they are good. This fills me up until lunchtime and I was a huge cereal fan and fruit muncher all morning previously. This has kept me going and 2stone 4lb off in 7 weeks thus far ! Other tip was to buy a Nutribullet, well worth the money as I use it for my own curry spice mix etc . 2 handfuls of spinach, a peeled orange, teaspoon of seeds and another 3rd of frozen berries filling and gorgeous but sometimes looks muddy depending on the fruits! I did throw in the whole orange with skin once, never again! Made my mouth feel awful all day! I drink this on the way to work if I am really short on time and it does the job, just don’t spill it down yourself !

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Or you could make a frittata the previous night with eggs and veg (absolutely fab with cumin and a sprinkle of chilli too), and warm a piece up in the microwave?

I’ve done this before, even before BSD, and like a lot of food it even improves with a little keeping!

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Thanks so much for your suggestions! The oats make me shudder but I think once they are mixed with yog and fruit I might be able to cope. Congats on such fantastic weightloss too!
    Frittata with spices sounds excellent too, and if its in the fridge waiting for me, I can just dig in whilst bullying and cajoling the family out of the house!!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi,
    I take 60g full fat Greek Yoghurt plus 30g blueberries (or rasps). The fruit is frozen, so I weight both out the night before and leave in cupboard to defrost and for the yoghurt to get to room temp.
    Add to it 3g pumpkin seeds, 3g sunflower seeds, 3g linseeds, 3g whole almonds chopped plus a good pinch of cinnamon.
    The seeds can also be weighed out the night before.
    Mix all together when you are ready to eat – keeps me full till lunchtime.
    Beware of oats on this food plan – only rolled oats are allowed and in moderation. All others – most that are sold for porridge nowadays, are very quick to release carbs and for those with diabetes or pre-diabetes, they often cause blood sugar spikes.
    Good luck.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Hi JC_D,
    Thanks.
    I am also now back from my travels and have done a bit of a trial whilst choosing the best options from the hotel buffet style offerings and like you feel much better and the clothes are looser. I had no alcohol, one magnum almond lolly and one small chocolate cake slice too. Also no pasta, white flour, sugar, spuds or rice. Usually on holiday I would have a pud every day plus alcohol, ice cream and the donuts they sell on the sea front. I originally planned to start on the 23rd but have decided to jump in and start as soon as possible…tomorrow. Can’t wait and feel positive. All the best to you x

• posted by Cicipops
    on

Orchid, I disagree with your comment about porridge oats. I have them most mornings for breakfast, made with milk and flavoured with spice, and find it fills me up for hours. When working, I am up at 5am and I find I am not looking for anything to eat until 12 noon.

• posted by Stacey
    on

I have a meal replacement/protein shake in the morning, takes 2 mins and you can drink it on the way to work etc and it curbs my hunger until lunch. Make sure you get one that is low carbs – ideally a VLCD one.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Cicipops,
    I was not disagreeing that porridge is a great way to fill you up – I have had oats in homemade muesli for years.
    What I was pointing out is that the BSD book does not recommend the kind of porridge oats that are processed – and most that we now buy are processed. Porridge is fine if made with the oats that you need to soak the night before then cook next day – steel-cut or rolled oats.
    There are many posts on this topic and some diabetics find they can manage oats, others cannot – please use the search engine and you will find the posts.

From the BSD book:
    Page 34
    ‘In one study, he took 12 overweight teenage boys and on separate days gave them three different breakfasts. One was instant oatmeal with milk and sugar. Another was traditional, unprocessed oats, “steel-cut”, the sort your grandmother would recognise. The third breakfast was an omelette. The worst breakfast was the instant oats. After eating it, the boys’ blood sugar and insulin levels soared. This was followed a couple of hours later by a “crash” as blood sugar levels fell below where they had started. This crash was accompanied by a surge of the stress hormone, adrenaline. The boys felt tired, hungry and irritable. At lunch they each are a whopping 620 calories more than those who had had the omelette.’
    P113
    ‘Avoid most breakfast cereals: they are usually full of sugar, even the ones that contain bran. Oats are good as long as they are not the instant sort.’
    P131
    ‘Q There are carbohydrates in this diet, yet you say I should not eat them.
    A There are some carbohydrates in the menus provided – but the right sort. As you will know by now, starchy carbohydrates are essentially concentrated sugars and are disruptive to blood sugar. You will find recipes here that include jumbo oats, and even brown rice – but in small quantities. It’s a taste, not a main component of the meal. These carbohydrates are the slow-burn kind, meaning they take time and energy to digest, which means you’ll feel less hungry.’

After reading this, I adapted my eating to the principles of the BSD diet and instead of breakfast with 30g oatmeal and 100g fat-free yoghurt plus berries and seeds, I now have 60g full fat yoghurt, berries and seeds and find that every bit as filling as the one with the oatmeal. The full fat yoghurt is what keeps me feeling full.

• posted by Frog
    on

that’s good to know Orchid – I read the book very quickly, and a friend has borrowed it now. I’ve been having porridge occasionally, but I always use rolled oats and soak them overnight, so that’s OK. I had one of those instant sachet things once when they first came out. Eurgh – the rest stayed in the box & eventually got thrown away.

I’ve just made (for supper, but it would make a great breakfast) a one egg omelette with spiralised courgette (100g).
    90 calories, 2 carbs – very tasty and satisfying.
    I spiralised the courgette, cut it so no really long strips, microwaved it, beat in the egg and some black pepper, and cooked the mix in a non stick frying pan. The courgette gave it enough bulk that although it was a one egg omelette it didn’t feel stingy.
    I had it with a Greek salad from Sainsbury’s, and added the feta into the omelette – I didn’t weigh the feta as it was already in the nutrition count of the salad, but max 20g, which would add about 50 calories and 1.5 carbs.

• posted by soosiewoosy
    on

I found some brilliant organic oats called Flahavan’s . They come in a paper bag (for a change!) and Tesco sells them. I’m pretty sure they are not “processed”.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

If you’re making porridge using rolled or jumbo oats, you don’t need to soak them overnight just use a mix of water and milk, warm it and dimmer for five minutes or so on a rolling ‘gloop’ and it’ll be fine. You get a porridge with texture rather than the smooth semolina-pudding like consistency that seems more common these days.

Soaking overnight is however best if you’re making bircher muesli.

• posted by shalimar
    on

It depends on whether you like your oats mushy or al dente.

I just pour boiling water over my oats … stir for a couple of minutes …. and eat … or add anything i like.

My mother made mushy oats … i not likey!

when it was close to payday in our house … and no milk was to be had … we ate oats dry with a bit of sugar and cinammon powder …. but then again we ate pickled herring embryos, raw eggs beaten with sugar, blood sausage, etc. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

My grandma’s oats were definitely on the al dente side with a pinch of salt and a wee dram of the whisky! what was left was stored in her “porridge drawer” and reappeared at teatime as a sort of squidy flapjack. Even as a five year old I wondered what the smoky taste in her flapjack was….

My dad would have raw eggs and sugar for his breakfast – I only ever had it as a hangover cure with Worcestershire sauce.

Lunch today is portobello mushroom, blood sausage and duck eggs from my neighbour’s trusty birds. This will reappear as a weekend breakfast.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Ah JulesMaigret … it is so nice too have food from your neighbour. We used to have a garden and chickens and sometimes gueese …. GOOD FOOD!!! Supermarket stuff does not compare!!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

We are very lucky they have a smallholding where they keep a few pigs so they take the windfall apples and pears from our garden for the pigs.

We have had a bumper crop of apples and pears this year so I’m fighting the temptation to eat the lot in one go!

I’ve made and frozen a lot of compote that will come out later in breakfast with yogurt, but in moderation as it is really quite carby.

• posted by shalimar
    on

JulesMaigret HUGS 🙂 … YOU are so LUCKY!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.