After reaching your target, what next?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Go figure, Essie😄 But good you’re at your lowest weight at the start of the silly season 🎄

Having crowed about stabilising, I too am at my lowest – 109lbs – though not a new low. Seem to have, inexplicably, dropped 3lbs overnight 😨 Sure it’ll be back tomorrow. ….or the next day. Just looking at it as one of the vagaries of the human body and a normal fluctuation 😜

PS really ODed on yoghurt yesterday though, so fat consumption was even higher than normal!

• posted by alliecat
    on

My friends, would any one of us have believed a year and a half ago that full fat yogurt,
    peanut butter or avocado was a means to an end? Maybe we should start a meal delivery
    service of our own for dieters? I don’t know how we would market it, though. On the
    other hand, o/h just happens to teach both Marketing and Advertising! I’ll toss the
    idea out there, who knows, he may in turn use it as a “teachable moment” in one of his
    lectures……….I’m told that the percentage of female students who are significantly
    overweight is shocking. He does in fact worry about their futures, and future employment
    prospects as well. Would never comment though, as in today’s world it might be
    considered another form of “harrassment”! 🙂 🙂 🙂
    On another note, I’ve just received some new “duds” in the post. My first dress in
    20 years, size small, and it fits! It’s a little black jersey number, suitable for dressing
    up or down as the mood strikes. Thank you, BSD!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Allie – I just got some clothes in the post too! From Zara, which does not do generous sizes so I was dubious but ordered Small anyway. They all fit! 2 baggy jumpers (still baggy in S) and a tight one that looks fine tight and a dress for Christmas. Tra la la! I still don’t think ‘small’ or ‘tight’ when I consider but Here I am!

• posted by JackieM
    on

*When I consider what clothes to wear

• posted by alliecat
    on

This is quite the coincidence, Jackie. My first purchase on reaching target 7 months
    ago was a pair of python print leggings, you guessed it, from Zara USA! I hope you
    got something with sparkle for the holidays! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

• posted by LindaA
    on

So this is where you’ve all been hiding!!😀
    I’ve been posting on the Target Weight thread for months so thank you Mixnmatch for letting me know this thread existed. I’ve just spent an hour or so reading from the beginning and what a fabulous bunch you all are👏👌, so supportive of everyone’s struggles.

For those that don’t know me, I started the BSD back in April ‘16 and after losing 30+ kg have maintained at 60kg (I’m 5’6”) since September ‘16. That’s now 15 months! A record for me and one I plan to continue for the rest of my life. It’s not just the weight loss, it’s the fact that at nearly 58, I’m super healthy, can walk 25 km (I did a charity walk so know how far it was) without tiring and I look fabulous in size 8 (Australian) jeans!!!!!

Since reaching my goal of 63kg, I too continued to lose weight until getting to 55.9kg. I kept my carbs low, didn’t reintroduce non BSD foods, just increased my fat until my body decided where it wanted to be, which is 60kg (give or take 1-2kg). I’ve noticed that the saggy skin is still lessening and the muscular definition is more pronounced. I do no exercise other than walking and I fast for the benefits of autophagy on a regular basis. (This I believe is what helps with the saggy skin).

Now that I’m here, I’m happy to help anyone that has questions. I scream this way of eating to everyone that will listen and pretty much follow a ketogenic diet full time.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hey, Linda, welcome. Though of course we’ve met in the Target Weight thread.

Interesting to know that you’re another who kept losing when entering maintenance. My body too seems to be finally finding it’s own level, which is approx half a stone (3kg) under my target but I feel fantastic. Like you, the only exercise I do is walking, but quite a lot of it (approx 10 miles a day) and o/h has commented on my muscle definition – in my legs, anyway. Like you, I practice fasting occasionally for it’s autophagy benefits and don’t have a lot of loose skin, just a few wrinkles 😢 but at 68 I guess that’s to be expected anyway. Good to have you with us, I’m sure we’ll all benefit from your 15 months experience – well done you. I’m 7 months and counting 😄

Allie, get o/h on the case. Wonderful business opportunity for us and then, when we’ve all made our millions (billions even) we’ll all be able to afford to jet across the world for our triple dates😃

Looking forward to seeing pics of Allie’s and Jackie’s new clothes on our phoenix thread.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi LindaA, I can’t tell you how thrilled I am to see your post today, for it affords me
    the opportunity to thank you for all the wonderful links you’ve posted in the past.
    I’ve increased my knowledge immeasurably as a result of reading them. I didn’t
    discover these forums until I had already lost 50% of my body weight
    following this WOL, and have successfully maintained it for 7 months with an additional loss
    of 8lbs since then. Fifteen months of maintenance is phenomenal! The only goal that
    remains for me is a solid 1 year of maintenance. I don’t think that we are too dissimilar,
    although I have a decade on you in terms of age, I’m 5’7″ and currently weigh 137lbs.
    I’m passionate about this WOL, and find that I consistently quote your formula to every
    newcomer who is uncertain of what moderate protein means to them. It’s heartening
    to know that loose skin may tighten somewhat over time with autophagy and not
    extensive weight training at the gym. I do multiple reps with 5lb. weights, but have
    no desire to take up residence in the gym. I’m happy to see you back, and look forward
    to reading your future posts!

Allie

• posted by LindaA
    on

Thanks Theodora and alliecat, it’s great to be here! Glad I could be of help.
    It’s late here and I’m off to bed, talk soon.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Theodora
    on

So much for stabilisation – another pound gone this morning. ☹

I can only put it down to the fact that we had a family crisis yesterday, and I guess stress can lead to weight loss? The only good thing is that, in the past I would have reached for a glass (or 3) of wine, and/or comfort ate. Yesterday I did neither, literally didn’t feel like eating or drinking anything (except the panacea of a cuppa, certainly drank plenty of those). In fact I had to force myself to eat, but I did manage my full complement of calories, give or take a few! Amazing how our relationship with food changes on this WOL. Really need to put a few pounds back on – can’t even believe I’m saying that! Who’d have thought it one short year ago?.

Feeling shredded this morning!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Theo, sorry about your family crises. Hoping things were not too dire and getting sorted a bit by now. Hang in there. Hugs from across the pond.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Aw, thanks, LTC.

I seem to spend my life supporting others with their problems, so it means a lot to have a bit of support for myself. Sadly, I don’t think it’s a problem that is likely to be resolved any time soon though. Bu thank you, hugs gratefully received.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Theodora- have been out of the loop for a couple of days whilst I’ve been singing. Sorry to hear that you’ve had a family crisis. Sending you a virtual hug and thinking about you at this difficult time.

Cathy

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Wish I / we could do more for you. Family crises are so tough because they are usually the folks we turn to for support. Double the stress when it is those very folks in the middle of the crises. You know we all love you ….glad that may be of some comfort.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Theo, my arms are open wide, step right into them and rest your head on my shoulder
    for a bit. I’m so sorry that your life and that of your family has been upended. Our
    sense of wellbeing is so fragile, and nothing is harder for a mother than to be unable
    to “fix it” for our families. I’m going to speak to you like a close friend now. Theo, you
    know you”re pretty much out of wriggle room, so you must take care of yourself. My
    reaction to bad or unexpected things is to be unable to eat, also. If you can’t face a
    whole plate of food, try a smaller plate, it will be easier that way. What I had to
    keep telling myself on multiple occasions during the past 2 years was that I was
    eating to stay strong for those who were depending on me. You will, too. I’m glad that
    the dogs need to be walked each day. That will help a little to manage the stress,
    I hope.
    We’re all thinking of you, so check in when you can.

Much love,

Allie

• posted by Theodora
    on

Cathy, LTC and Allie, you are all so kind. Thank you so much for your words of support, they mean a lot.

Allie, I did eat yesterday – right up to my TDEE – but still lost a pound. That’s 4lbs in 2 days, which is crazy – I wasn’t losing that much on 800. But just shows what stress can do – have eaten today too, and have supper already prepared.

You are right, Allie, the boys are keeping me sane at the moment, and force me to take a bit of time out.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Mmm, tried to post a pic, but didn’t work!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Theo, the boys are gorgeous, GORGEOUS! I’m completely smitten with the gray and
    white one, not to mention the breathtaking scenery on your seaside walk. That hill
    reminds me of parts of northern California. I just know that the sea air would do me
    no end of good. Thank you for sending the photo, delightful, really!
    Take good care of yourself, my sweet. Maybe some extra vitamin C and Zinc to
    support your immune system? (I’m sorry, I just can’t seem to help myself! 🙂 )

Allie
    xoxo

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

I second that Theo…..such lovely lovely boys. They look absolutely joyful. Bearded Collies?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Wow, Theo, that looks like a calendar photo! The boys are so happy and bright and clearly loving life frolicking on a blanket of daisies. Are they bearded collies?

I’m sorry about the stress and awfulness of the family crisis. You shoulder a lot when things are going fine. I imagine your family relies on you very heavily during moments like these. Time to go a little past that TDEE, I’d say. Now’s your chance to well and truly chow down on some Brazil nuts and Greek yogurt.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Thank you, I hesitated about posting a pic of the dogs – not sure it was appropriate. But decided it would be acceptable to post a pic of a new-fangled piece of gym equipment and, in effect, that’s what they are. Certainly keep me fit anyway.

The boys are gorgeous – a real handful, but very gorgeous. Yes, Beardies, full brothers but from litters 2 years apart. Very energetic and natural clowns.

Essie, thank you for your kind thoughts too. I have indeed been gorging on yoghurt and nuts. Grazing all day, in fact, which is a habit I really don’t want to re-establish but needs must atm.

Allie, thanks for your suggestions, may be a good idea as o/h has a stinking cold atm. Man flu😉

• posted by JackieM
    on

Theodora – your dogs are good therapy for all of us! What a splendid picture.

Have got bad cold so not v focussed at present. Nipped into town to by son some essential items and bought self a pair of size 10 jeans (UK). They did look very snake hipped but I figured one day …. tried them on this evening and can proudly announce I am now a size 10 all over! Yikes!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

When I first held up the size 10 super skinny jeans from my JOTF pile there was a weird feeling that they would always be far too small for me, they just look so teeny tiny. It is an optical illusion that has been quite slow to go, I still pick them up and think ‘they’ll never fit’ and I’ve been wearing them for 12 months!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Theodora, your dogs look bonny, as does your bit of coast. Are you north or south? My mum is from Hayle, near St Ives. Sorry to hear about your family crisis. Just remember amongst all the stress that you need to look after yourself (and the boys) first, everything else has to be secondary or you run out of strength to cope. I hope things look up soon.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Theodora, I’m also sorry to hear that things aren’t going so well – best wishes.

• posted by marie123
    on

Mixnmatch, you’re post made me smile – that’s exactly what’s been happening to me recently – except the wearing them a year bit – oh, and of course they are nowhere near size 10’s.

• posted by JackieM
    on

I don’t feel I look that small with them on though, even though I couldn’t have got them up one leg 4 months ago. it turns out I have actually been teeny tiny under all the (yellow glowing) fat and need another half stone off to be the right weight for me (which is true according to my bMI). It sounded really ridiculous to aim for 57kg (bMI 22) at the start but that’s the next challenge, at which point I guess I will Be size 8 and in my daughters jeans. Well well well. Not rushing to get there but let’s see if it happens.

Slightly scared the earth will fall in as can my luck hold if I get what I want since I was 8 and be properly not fat? Will something else have to give? It’s this kind of superstitious thinking that’s held me back I think, but this woe circumvents it by making it about nutrition not waistline.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello Folks – sorry I haven’t been posting recently. Have been feeling a bit out of sorts and sort of adrift where the BSD is concerned, but I think I have my headspace sorted again now.

Theo, sorry to read of your family crisis, but hope that your will soon be feeling more in control again and that your ‘boys’ will give you something positive to focus on in the meantime. JackieM , I’m sure you can achieve your next challenge.

I’m slowly increasing the wriggle room, so am fairly content with my weight situation. Like you Jackie, I’m setting a new personal challenge – not going to do it right now, but have decided to try to push down to a flat 8st. This will be a task for the new year though. Right now, I’m focusing on the upcoming festive season and all that entails. This year it’s just OH and me for Christmas Day, but there will be a veritable house full on Boxing Day, so giving some thought to catering and how to limit the workload. Have ordered a new dress for festive season – red, which seemed appropriate – lovely to be able to order something fitted is a size 10.

Hope everyone’s plans for Christmas are progressing well.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Love to think of you in a bright red dress for the holiday, SunnyB! Wear it with joy!
    So much work has taken place over these months into maintenance, and I never get
    tired of hearing about it 🙂 🙂 :). I’m so proud of you all!

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks Allie. You are right, much work has taken place during these months of maintenance and we should all be proud of all we have achieved, both getting here and staying here. Sometimes, that gets away from me – think that’s why I have been feeling out of sorts. Need to remind myself occasionally that much has changed and it pays to remember to appreciate that at least once a day.

• posted by JustStickWithThis
    on

Ah, this sounds great. I can’t wait till I’m maintaining my ideal weight. Glad to hear BSD has worked so well for so many.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Haven’t posted for a few days – work has been manic lately.

Today is my one year on maintenance anniversary. As a yo yo dieter par excellence – it is a truly stunning achievement and I couldn’t have done it without this forum. Before typing ‘par excellence’ I checked with Google to make sure it meant what I thought it did. Collins dictionary says that it means ‘ to a degree of excellence, beyond comparison’. That so describes just how good I was at yo yo dieting.

Thank goodness for the BSD and everyone on this forum – there is no way I could have done it without you all. So here’s to year 2 on maintenance.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Congratulations on your Maintenanceversary and here’s to years 2, 3 and more… 😁 I know you are focused on never going back to the type 2 diabetic health problems, but don’t forget to take a moment (or two) to look at how much better you feel apart from that. I hope you have a lovely time exploring all the possibilities of the rest of your healthier lifestyle.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Thanks Mixnmatch. It really is so comforting to see so many real life success stories on this forum, many that have lost an enormous amount of weight….and so many like yourself that have kept it off. It just all seems too good to be true and hard not to wait for the brick wall that always appeared about this time just when you thought you had it licked.

Only time will truely prove it to me. Till then, keep’n the faith baby.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Krysia, you’ve done it!!! One year in maintenance is the “prize” that I’ve got my eyes
    on. Only 4 months to go. I continually read that this achievement is a landmark
    for long term success. You should pause and savor the moment…It’s an important
    milestone. Congratulations! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by JulesP
    on

Congratulations KrysiaD, that’s absolutely amazing, fabulous reward for all your hard work, you must feel amazing.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hear, hear! Happy anniversary, Krysia. You’re a stellar example of what can be achieved with the BSD and a role model for all we maintainers. May the second year bring you continued success in proving that we can do a complete 180 and change our lives drastically if we have the tools and the determination. Time for a celebratory treat, methinks. By which I mean filet mignon and gorgonzola compound butter, of course. 😀

• posted by Theodora
    on

Happy (if a little belated) 1st anniversary, Krysia – what a fantastic accomplishment, and one that I hope to be emulating (along with Allie) next spring. Well done.

Sorry, not been around for a few days, still struggling with the family crisis, and thank you for your good wishes everyone. Don’t want to go into details, but it is very time-consuming and both physically and mentally draining. I had to travel north and now we are snowed in, so I haven’t even had the support of my stress-busting hairy clowns as they stayed put with o/h. Hey ho! We’ll get there.

On the plus side, I have now managed to regain 2 of the 4lbs I lost last week, although I suspect it was the wine I had last evening to help me relax that did that.

Please forgive me if I don’t post much, or join in many threads over the next week or two, I have my hands full here right now, but I’ll pop in and read posts as and when I can in the hope of some light relief. Hoping I can head back home in time for Christmas……..

• posted by alliecat
    on

Theo, we are just extremely happy to hear from you! We miss you, but understand
    that you and your family have something serious and very troubling to deal with
    at the moment. You may hear someone whispering gently in your ear to take good
    care of yourself, which will be me 🙂
    Wishing you strength, my friend. Come back to us when you can….

Much love,

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Theo – hope things get easier for you and your family soon. We’ll all still be here rooting for you when you have time to drop in.

Congrats Krysia, that’s some achievement and one I think we are all hoping to emulate! I’m only approx. three months into maintenance, so have a way to go yet. Hope your next year in maintenance is really easy and we’ll all be here supporting you along the way. Like you, I have found the forum invaluable and certainly couldn’t have got to this point without all the lovely folks here.

Hope you all had a good w/e and haven’t been too tempted by festive ‘treats’ so far. Had a couple of Passion Fruit Martinis this w/e, but they were the only major ‘transgressions’ for me. Here’s to a good week folks!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Thank you Allie and Sunny.

At least the snow is thawing, which is just as well as I have to head home for the dogs as o/h is having to go abroad for a week. Family problems still not resolved, and I’m not sure whether dealing with it all long distance will be easier or make life even more difficult! The stress is telling though, and those 2 regained pounds have disappeared again!! O/H has tried every which way to get out of his trip as he is worried about me, but needs must and it’s only a week. So I’ve told him to stop fretting (oh that it was that easy!) and just go!

Will pop in when I can. Hope everyone else is doing ok?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry to hear things are still problematic for you, Theo. Hope you have a good journey home and ‘the boys’ are pleased to see you – just know they will be! Being around them will probably help to reduce the stress levels a little. Keeping everything crossed that your family problems will soon be resolved, you and your OH will be able to relax together and life will return to normal. Will look forward to you popping in as time permits, meanwhile we will be thinking about you.

I’m doing okay. Unexpected 1.2lb drop registered on the scales this morning, which was a nice little bonus. Have a busy few days coming up with family though, which starts this evening through to Sunday, so no doubt that will be sneaking back on. Still nicely under target weight though, so taking it as it comes.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just a quick check in, was wondering how things are going with you, Theo. Hope you are okay and that the family thing is at least on the way to being resolved.

Hope everyone else is okay too. This time of year is packed with temptations and stresses, so hope you are all coping with successfully maintaining and still managing to enjoy this festive time. We have had a few hectic days with family, so a family meal at home, a meal out, a take away and a few cocktails too, but managing to maintain with 4lb wriggle room at the moment. Seem to have the Christmas prep under control at the moment and not stressing too much about things still needing to be done, which is an unusual state of affairs for me at this point in the year.

Only a week to go to the main event – have a good time everyone!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Sunny, and thank you so much for asking and, indeed, for thinking of me.

Things are improving, but only slowly, it will be a long haul. But at least I am back home and the 3 hours of daily walking along my beloved coastal path is certainly helping me to de-stress. And o/h gets home today after a week abroad, so that’s something to look forward to.

Also, on the plus side, I have managed to regain the 4lbs I dropped almost overnight when all this trauma began and now seem to be maintaining nicely, within a pound or two. Well done on maintaining your wriggle room for the festive season, I have plenty for Christmas too although I am not actually anticipating putting much on – the thought of all that sweet, stodgy food just doesn’t do it for me any more. My one indulgence will be freshly squeezed orange juice for my Christmas morning Bucks Fizz. And, not having had an orange in 2017 at all, am fully prepared for the fact that it may taste too sweet, and then it will be a lovely glass of dry champagne only.

Now I just have to get prepared for Christmas – family coming and not even started yet! Though I have at least finished my present shopping, which is a huge plus!

How are all our other maintainers doing?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Theo, I’m VERY happy to know that your weight has stabilized at last! I know
    what your BMI is, and I was beginning to get a little worried about you….

I hope everyone else is in a good place with their holiday prep. I had hoped
    that we would be getting together with my sister and her family and recently
    sent her an email to this effect. The reply was from St. Petersburg (Russia)
    so it doesn’t seem too likely! Upon her return, plans will be made for later
    in the week. Our Christmas morning fare is always champagne, smoked
    salmon, and bagels. Obviously there will be no bagels this year. I’ll just
    have to come up with some sort of wrap idea. All ideas would be most
    welcome!
    Wishing you all a blessed holiday, as we march on in maintenance 🙂

Happy New Year!

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad that things are on the up for you Theo and hope that continues. Try not to stress about the festive season – ask the family to help out as much as possible. And keep up those de-stressing walks. Like you the sweet stuff is not going to be a problem and whilst I appreciate a drink, it is no longer of any importance to me, so I am hopeful of keeping things in control on all fronts.

Alliecat, Christmas morning we are going with smoked salmon on some scrambled egg, all sprinkled with a little finely chopped shallot, topped with a teaspoon of lump roe caviar. Oh, and a glass of well chilled brut champagne – bucks fizz has never been my drink, give me straight champagne every time!

Here’s to a peaceful and joyous festive season and only good things for us all in 2018. Happy maintaining everyone!

• posted by alliecat
    on

I absolutely LOVE your idea, SunnyB! Thank you so much for sharing it!
    Caviar, too? PERFECTION 🙂 🙂 🙂 O/H will be thrilled, and won’t even notice
    the lack of bagels!!!

Warm holiday wishes,

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Happy to have helped Allie – enjoy!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Here I am in Amsterdam with the family – yay! But oh my goodness eating out is still tricky! Just in terms of avoiding glazes they don’t mention or batters etc. We went on a tasting tour with withlocals.com which was great but I had to pass on quite a bit. I did discover smoked eel and herring are absolutely delicious! And the cheese was great too. And I had chicken satay with most of sauce removed. Kids had stroopwaffles and various samosas etc and chips with mayo and thoroughly enjoyed everything (even the eel!)

Last night I had cauliflower done 5 ways (only one of which was a bit dodgy/sweet) and wild boar on dark cabbage – a chop and a stew but the stew was done in a sweet sauce so I didn’t like it much and swerved most of it.

Home for Christmas and people are coming to us so double yay! Hope you all are looking forward to it too and if not I can empathise it’s been a difficult time for me since I was a child. Best it’s ever been like this year, when I get to be in my own home with my own family (and the pets!) xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.