8 Week Christmas Countdown

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello everyone
    Thank you for your kind words- your kindness means a lot to me. It’s four weeks today to Christmas and I’m fasting today. I’ve done rubbish recently but I reckon I can knuckle down for four weeks. I tried on some clothes yesterday and I looked like santas sack!
    I hope that when I detox from the carbs I will begin to feel better in myself. I do think that the carbs I’ve been eating have most likely poisoned my system. So hopefully with a couple of 36 hour fasts and low carb I could be in ketosis by Friday this week. I am not going on the scales til Christmas Eve. I know I what I weighed at the start of this thread so I’ll see what I can do although I’ve probably put on a few pounds since starting because I’ve not been good. Anyway, I’m taking it hour by hour and day by day and that seems to be a good mindset for me at the moment.
    DCT- you’ve done so well to stay in the 140s! I’m very envious. To think I got down to 130lbs! I’m am now in the 160s!!! I am aiming for 140 lb. Hope your husband isn’t too poorly with covid.
    SueBlue- sorry to read you had a bad dose of covid and it sounds like you are feeling better and positive.
    Arctic Fox- I love your NSVs- I am looking forward to reaping the benefit of ridding my body of carbs. I do think they’re part of the reason I feel so down! My stomach is big, I’ve no energy and am stiff so it will be great to fast them out of my system. Today I’m doing 36 hours and I plan to do another 36 hours on Wednesday.
    I am going to see if I can stay strong and get myself into ketosis which will help get rid of the carb monster. That will be a great start and then I’ll take it day by day.
    Thank you everyone for inspiring me. I think getting into ketosis will be the first step of the next part of my journey. I’m looking forward to eating eggs, avocado,soup and healthy food and getting rid of carbs! There will be NO crumpets in this weeks shopping basket!!

• posted by happysnap
    on

Hi everyone

I’ve been AWOL for awhile but been trying to keep going myself.
    I’ve done quite a bit of fasting and was doing really well, and then the week before my period everything went haywire- it was literally as if my body was fighting me, with all its strength!
    Now that I’ve realized the pattern here, I can try and work on it! Thankfully the damage done wasn’t too bad and I’m back on track now, so that is what counts.
    I’ve read a very interesting book that I’d recommend- Diabetes Unpacked by a range of experts. (Jason Fung, Tim Noakes, David Unwin, etc) Very interesting and informative and highly recommended for all diabetics and prediabetics out there!

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks for always being here for me even though I post so sporadically!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I broke my fast at 42.5 hours today. I ate some of the lentil soup that I made last night for lunch and had a bit of yogurt with some strawberries. It’s dinner time now, but I’m still full! So my stomach has definitely shrunk. I mean, probably not actually, but it seems like my hunger hormones have gone way down. When I was watching Chris van Tulleken talk about ultra processed foods a few weeks ago, he mentioned that his hunger hormones went way up when he ate a diet high in ultra processed foods. Seems like fasting may be the way to reverse that and get them back down again.
    Anyway, I found another NSV today – ENERGY! My peonies arrived at 2:30pm today but unfortunately they had changed the forecast quite drastically and now it says we will not get above freezing for the forseeable future. I could see on the parcel tracking that the peonies were due to be delivered this afternoon, so I ate my soup at my desk and as I was working from home, I took my lunch break late and got them in the ground by 3:30pm. I was rushing madly about to get it done, but by the end, I still felt good and full of energy. This is spurring me on to keep going with this rather intense fasting regime as it is imperitive that I continue to have this much energy or more come spring. Also, I’m saving money on food and there is less washing up, so that leaves more time for the house improvements.

on

Well done arctic fox on your extended fast. The longest fast I’ve done is 42 hours. I’m just about to break my fast at 38 hours and 20 minutes. I could have gone until lunchtime but this is my first fast in three months and I am going out this morning so wasn’t sure how my body would react. I’m having Greek yoghurt and raspberries and a cup of coffee with oat milk. I feel fantastic psychologically for my long awaited achievement of getting in control. I am definitely finding an hour by hour approach is helping me and not to look too far ahead. So yes, a NSV for me today- some control! Thank you for inspiring me. I am hoping that like you, my energy levels will increase once I’ve rid myself of the carbs clogging up my system.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Just jumping in to say good on you Cathy! Sounds like you are well on your way to getting your mojo back 🙂

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Well done from me too, Cathy. 38 hours is brilliant after not having fasted that long for a while. It took me several weeks to even get up to 36.
    I’m back fasting today. Not sure if it will be 24 or 36 or longer. I’ll decide later depending on how I feel. I’m trying to get as many fasts in in the next 4 weeks as I can. I really want to see some progress before Christmas, so I know that I’m headed in the right direction.

on

Thank you for your support- I couldn’t have done the last couple of days without you. I have had my first low carb day in three months! Yoghurt and raspberries for breakfast. Salad with cottage cheese and quorn slices for lunch and two quorn sausages, mushrooms and cauliflower cheese for my evening meal and now I am fasting again for another 36 hours . Like you arctic fox I am going to try as many fasts as I can do in the next four weeks . I am aiming to do three 36 hour fasts per week and stay low carb on eating days. I was mindful today when shopping not to put any naughty items in my basket. I am going to get my BSD, keto and fast recipe books out tomorrow and plan some nutritious meals for the days when I am eating. I am sure that when I am in ketosis the cravings will go. Onwards and upwards hour by hour.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Well done on your day CCATHY..thunderous applause!xx that mojo is back in place!
    And ARCTICFOX …you are amazing with your fasts!..more wild applause! Xx The bus is going craaaaazy!
    And I LOVE peonies,my absolute favourites.
    Sending huggles and snuggles to everyone XX

on

I’m in ketosis already!! Tested last night at bedtime and I’m already burning fat! Just in the middle of another 36 hour fast which will end tomorrow morning. I think ADF is easier than OMAD for me.. Just have difficulty sleeping when I am doing long fasts. If I play my cards right I could well be a loser for Christmas!!! I started this thread at a disappointing 163 lb (yes, I let myself get out of control) so if I get to 153 I will be in the 10lb club. I’ll weigh on Christmas Eve.
    To those who are struggling can I suggest that you take things in very small bite size steps. One hour, one morning, one day. It seems to be working for me at the moment. A switch in my head has flicked on after three months.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

That’s great, Cathy. Glad that switch has flicked for you. It took me quite a while to get back into the swing of things and I had many false starts, but finally feeling like I can do this.
    I ended my current fast at 40 hours. I was doing ok, but it was practical for me to end it there. I’m quite pleased. Only Wed morning and I’ve finished 2 longish fasts already this week. I’m eating for the rest of today and probably tomorrow and then may try again on Friday.
    I noticed that I seem to be standing and walking taller. Finally starting to feel a tad slimmer as well. I went for a walk in the afternoon with a work colleague yesterday as I was in the office. She is very slim and fit and sets a good pace, but I was able to keep up.
    I had a dream last night that I looked in the mirror after not having done so for a while and saw myself looking lean and fit. If only! Well, hopefully I’m getting there. I had really hit a low point of feeling fed up with being heavy and not feeling well and dragging myself through each day, so it’s nice to finally be climbing out of that.
    Thanks to everyone on the thread. This is just what I needed to keep me motivated up to Christmas!

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Ooh how lovely to read the recent posts! I’m cheering at how well things are going for several of us. That’s such good news and really inspiring.

CATHY I’m so happy that you have made such amazing progress over the last few days. Very well done with the fasting and for getting into ketosis so quickly. I think you’re right that excess carbs were bringing you down, and I’m so glad you are already feeling the change.

ARCTICFOX well done on your fasting too, and the wonderful benefits you are seeing. Energy and fitness are so important, especially at this time of year, and it’s great that your diet is making such a difference.

SUE BLUE sorry to hear you’ve been so poorly with Covid, but glad you are rallying round now and are back in the food planning groove again. You may even find you have lost weight during this time but the important thing is that you are well on the road to recovery which is great news.

HAPPYSNAP it’s really helpful that you’ve been able to identify the impact of your cycle on your feelings and eating habits. As you say, you can now work on it and find ways to stay on track.

Hello to everyone else and I hope you’re doing ok? I’m currently on a regime of two meals a day, within an 8 hour window, no snacking in between meals and no wine during the week (though I let myself have a little bit at the weekend). Plus I’m making a conscious effort to be more active every day. My target weight for the end of this week is 145lb – I’m currently 146lb – so here’s hoping 🤞🤞🤞

on

Hello everyone

Another 38 hour and 12 minute fast completed. Hot Raspberries with Greek Yoghurt and a delicious cup of coffee for my breakfast. It tasted delicious. I feel so much better for ridding myself of the carbs. It has really brought it home to me how poisonous they can be. I’ve ordered some electrolyte capsules as I am definitely going to be doing alternate day fasting regularly. DCT – you will be 145 by the end of this week I have no doubt about that. I am impressed at how well you have kept your weight off and when I eventually get to goal I am definitely not going to do what I did this time and let things get out of control. It’s so much harder time and time again clawing back the pounds that I’ve allowed to creep on.
    Arctic fox – another NSV- keeping up with your fast walking colleague! Impressive. I love your dream too which is actually a vision of how things are going to be.
    I started this way of eating back in 2017 with so many of you on this thread. I made it to goal and then maintained for a couple of years and then life got in the way and I lost my focus. Despite losing a friend this year and despite my health issues I am proud to say that with the help and encouragement of this fantastic group of friends I am feeling positive once again and am back on the straight and narrow. I am going to work hard with three 36 hour fasts a week til Christmas – have a few days off as my son will be home and then I’ll be straight back on the road to success.
    To those who are struggling my advice would be just to cut your carbs – I know we have done that since we started but they creep into our diets like assassins and they poison us. Already I am feeling better and if I lose weight then that is a bonus.
    Tomorrow is 1st December and so I have 24 days until my Christmas Eve weigh in. I hope I’ll have achieved a 10lb or so loss by then. If I manage to get down to 153 lb for Christmas I reckon I can get into the 140’s by the end of January. .
    Let’s start decorating this bus for Christmas not with Yowser’s wet lettuces but with sparkly stars 🌟 because we are all sparkly stars.

on

CATHY it sounds as if you are doing so well and I really admire your determination and positivity. Well done, and I hope you see some we–deserved results on the scales on Christmas Eve. And also remember all our JGWEN has said about autophagy and how it can help the body reset, so I really hope that your fasting helps your physical conditions as well as your overall weight loss and wellbeing. Keep going and it’s so good to have you back on board.

JGWEN hello if you’re reading this and how are you getting on? I remember a post earlier in this thread about your body losing fat in weird places and I hope that things are starting to balance out? I noticed earlier this week that there is a definite change to the area just above my knees for some reason. Whereas the belly fat which I desperately want to lose is hanging in there with grim determination!

Today is my weigh in day and I’m 145.2lb, just 0.2lb above my 145 target for this week. So I’m happy with that and will aim for 144lb this time next week. I know that weight loss is not linear (sadly!) and I also need to be careful this weekend as I have a couple of Christmas do’s to go to (somewhat dependent on how hubby is and also the weather, as one of them is a hefty drive away). But I’m feeling positive and hope that if I stick to plan most of the time I can shed another pound over the coming week 🤞and perhaps even see a bit less Ho Ho Ho in my body shape!

Hope everyone is ok, and that you all have a fab weekend X

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hello everyone 🎄😊

Lovely to read your posts I hope this reaches you all as my posts don’t seem to get through 😞
    I am so so happy 😊 and I want to say a huge thank you to everyone on this bus journey I am 2 pound away from my goal !!!!! It’s been a long struggle along the journey but with your help I kept going the last month I have cut Down really a lot on my carbs but I think I just got to the point where I thought I am the only one who can do this so try hard😄 also NO INBETWEENS
    The relief to fit in my clothes is amazing we are going to centre parks next Monday for four days with family and for once I am looking forward to joining in the fun
    All I have to do now is keep going as I never want to go back to old ways i would like to loose the other 2 pounds by Xmas eve that would be the best pressie for Christmas 🤶 Fingers crossed 🤞
    Hope everyone is ok keep going if I can do it anyone can!!
    Have a good weekend
    Be in touch soon
    Nokie💕🎄

on

Ah NOKIE what a lovely post! And such great news 👏👏👏 I am SO happy for you. Well done!

As you say, it is only you that can do this. And you’ve only gone and done it!!

Enjoy Center Parks and we’ll welcome you back on board next week to ditch those last 2lb by Christmas. Woohoo!!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, I’m still here 😁

I was on holiday last week, my siblings and mother went on the Ghan train from Adelaide to Darwin then stayed in Darwin for a few days with the family. The Ghan is a luxury train with a silver service restaurant and sadly, I took full advantage of the delicious food.

I have only weighed myself once since coming home, 1kg up which frankly is not too bad. Done being home I have been very strict, two meals a day, no snacks, no refined carbs. I’ll see what the first week results are next Tuesday.

I’m so impressed with your results DCT! Well done you! And CC I am so glad to see you have got back on the groove.

Onward and downward everyone 😁

on

Nokie
    Absolutely amazing news that you are only 2lb away from your goal. This is fantastic! You will have the best Christmas present ever.
    Many congratulations – it’s hard work losing weight and you’ve done it!!! You are very inspiring .
    DCT- well done on getting to your goal this week.
    Mariet- well done on only 1kg gain- very impressive .
    I am doing my third 36 hour fast today. Am planning to do 3 a week and fitting it around schedules . It’s quite good but I am having to dig deep. My husband can eat whatever he likes and sometimes I do feel resentful! But I am putting my mind to it and like Nokia said I am the only one that can do this!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I am back on track after one day of too high carb eating. I had rye crispbread with cheese for lunch and for dinner ended up making a pizza with rye flour for the crust as rye doesn’t spike my blood sugar like wheat flour does, but it was obviously more carbs than my body could handle at the moment. I hadn’t realized that over the last several weeks my hot flushes had gone away, but they returned with a vengence overnight. So I can only equate that with the carbs I had eaten. I had huge digestive issues this morning as well. I’m feeling better now though after a 24 hour fast. It was all I could manage today as the carbs also made fasting more difficult.
    Cathy – great to hear you being so determined.
    Nokie – great work being only 2lb from your goal!
    Well done everyone for sticking to this and seeing some improvements!

on

Hello again
    I have now completed three 36 hour fasts this week. Yesterdays fast was difficult. I don’t think I ate enough in my feeding days. I am off fasting now til Monday and I’ll do three fasts again next week- Monday Wednesday and Friday.
    I am very pleased to be able to announce a SCALE VICTORY- I have lost 8lbs since the start of this thread. I started at 163 and today I am 155!!!!!!!! I am very very happy with this result.
    I reckon I will lose the 10lb I hoped for by Christmas Eve.
    Well done to everyone who is smashing it this journey. To those who are struggling then Please be assured that when the time is right you will be able to get the results you want. I am living proof of this.
    Have a lovely weekend everyone.
    We have three weeks to rid ourselves of a few more pounds.

on

Hi all. Just a quick post as going out in a minute. But CATHY just wanted to say that’s fantastic news! So pleased for you. Amazing result and inspiring to all of us. Well done! Xx

MARIET I’m sure you’ll soon lose that 1kg again. Glad you had a lovely time. And ARCTICFOX how interesting re the hot flushes, and also the digestive issues. It’s incredible the impact that good and bad food choices have on us. Hope everything calms down again soon.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend xx

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’ve just completed a 44 hour fast. I think that might be my longest ever! I felt good throughout. A bit hungry last night, but that was gone by morning and I was able to power through my chores and house improvements. Broke my fast with a greek salad with chickpeas. Dinner will be the last of the lentil soup that I made last Sunday. It sure takes a long time to get through a batch of soup when you’re not eating everyday! I ended up freezing some for later use. But that is good because I need to really rein in my spending as it was not good news about my car. I have to decide whether I’m going to pay for them to finally figure out what is wrong with it, or scrap it and get a new one. Either option is not going to be cheap. So it’s nice to be saving wherever I can, and my food spend has been well under budget this last month.
    Cathy – glad to hear about your scale victory!
    DCT – the hot flushes have calmed down. Still there, but not nearly as bad as they were immediately after eating all those carbs.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m just catching up with posts now as my mind still isn’t really focused on healthy eating at the moment.Yowzer and Cathy congratulations on your fabulous losses🎉 Sue I’m pleased you are recovering after your bout of Covid, it took me a while this time, even though it seemed like a mild dose.DCT well done on your loss this week and Nokie it must be a lovely feeling to be only 2lb away from goal!Mariet your trip sounded great.Articfox I know exactly what you mean about digestive issues, when I go off plan(which has been happening a lot recently) I feel pretty dreadful and my IBS gets so much worse.I hope I haven’t missed anyone.It’s lovely to read how well everyone is doing, I’m not weighing myself until Christmas Eve, I doubt that I have lost anything more yet but hope to lose at least a couple of pounds over the next three weeks🤞Hope everyone has a good week.Dawn X

on

Nice to read your post Dawn and I have no doubt you’ll be another few pounds lighter on Christmas Eve. I am going to be strict until Christmas and then have a few days off before getting back on track. I’m sure we will all be aboard the January Bus to continue our journey.
    Arctic fox – well done on your extended fast. I am going to try and aim for a 40 hour fast one day this week. You really have inspired me.
    I am 21 hours into a fast after having Saturday and Sunday off fasting. I was worried that after two days back to back eating I might struggle today but I am doing ok and was pleased to see I was still in ketosis which proves I made sensible choices. I think this three day week day fasting will suit me better than true ADF.
    Onwards and downwards. I haven’t noticed my clothes feeling any loser yet but mentally I feel better and my body is thanking me for getting rid of those poisonous carbs.
    Have a good week everybody snd try to stay off the poison!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’ve had a rough couple of days this week. Luckily not food-wise. I have been stressing about my car and trying to figure out how I’m going to make things work. I live in the middle of nowhere, so it is my only means of transport in the winter. In spring and early summer I may be able to get my bicycle operable again and then I can do the 30 min cycle into the nearest village for groceries and odds and ends, but it’s too icy now. It would take me nearly 2 hours to cycle into my office, so not really feasible when I’ve got so much on at home.
    Anyway, that would normally be enough to send me running for junky, carby foods. But I actually don’t even feel like it now. I was contemplating fasting today, but would probably only have been able to do 24 hours anyway as I need to go into my office tomorrow to run a workshop and I wouldn’t want to be so deep into a fast while I’m doing that in case I had to break while the workshop was running. So I will start after my evening meal tonight and then it will seem like a normal 16:8 day during the workshop, but I should be able to go longer after that.
    Like you, Cathy, I was a bit worried about 2 eating days in a row, but my stomach has shrunk and my appetite has changed so much that I’m not really able to overeat, and given that the carbs made me sick so recently, I’m staying away from them. I’m glad I’m able to cut myself a bit of slack without having to worry that I’ll go overboard as I feel I’ve been doing really well lately and had a lot of successes.

on

Hi Arcticfox and I am so sorry that you’ve got the worry of getting your car sorted. It’s imperative that you find a solution being in the middle if nowhere and I hope that you can come up with something viable. Good that you’ve been sensible about your eating pattern too and not stressing about it. One of the good things about this way of eating is that we are in charge of how it goes
    I had a stomach upset yesterday and I just made it home from the shops so I didn’t eat much yesterday on my feeding day. Today I am fasting but I feel quite jittery and vulnerable so I am going to only do a 24 hour fast. I’ll eat my evening meal tonight. I have seen people on Reddit who have lost an enormous amount of weight doing TRE so I guess in the big scheme of things mixing up our fasts isn’t going to be detrimental.
    I’m staying home today as I don’t feel 100% with the stomach bug and am drinking a variety of fruit teas and water. I’ve found a lovely rooibos rhubarb and custard tea which is delicious.
    Let’s do this hour by hour and day by day- some good days and some maybe not so good but always plodding to a slimmer and healthier life.

• posted by PeterFl
    on

Hi,
    I have been on the Blood Sugar Diet for the last 7 weeks, due to complete the 8 weeks next week and have a follow up apppointment with GP to check progress.

So far I have lost 14 Kg and hoping to get to 15Kg for next week. I have taken 4 inches off my waist, blood pressure has dropped into normal range and feeling a lot healthier.

I have been testing my fasting blood sugar levels at home and it has gone down to as low as 5.3 mmol/L but is now testing at 5.6 mmol/L – 5.9 mmol/L over that last week.

Anyobody any idea why it is fluctuating and is greater than 5.4 mmol/L still considered to be pre-diabetic ?
    Thanks

Peter

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi PeterF1, I hope the other members don’t mind me butting in here as I am not normally part of this group. Well done on the weight loss and the better diabetic numbers. The reason your BG goes up and down is because you are human and your body will never behave how you want it to. It will depend on so many things like the obvious of how much you have eaten, what you have eaten etc. But also things like having a good nights sleep or a bad night, stress, exercise, fluid levels and so on.

Also the finger prick is quite unreliable and should only be used to give you an idea. When you see your doctor you will get the proper test done and that will give your average results over a 12 week period. You were diagnosed as T2 and now your numbers look like pre-diabetic. That is a good result and something for you to continue working on. Remember that even when your doctor says you are in remission, that means it is okay now but will still need watching.

Keep going, you are doing great.

• posted by PeterFl
    on

Thanks for your guidance and kinds words. Very much appreciated.
    Thanks

Peter

on

Morning all

PETER well done on your fantastic weight loss. I hope that when you go back to the doctor there will be good news, and also some positive encouragement on a way forward. You’ve done so well so far, and I’m sure your efforts will have made a huge difference and will continue to do so.

SUNSHINE-GIRL lovely to see you and hope all is going well?

CATHY how are you feeling now? Hope you are over the stomach bug. And that roobois tea sounds lovely, I must track some down! And yes, I think varying eating patterns can really help (though not the best of reasons for having to do so!)

ARCTICFOX how are you doing? Any update on your car? I hope you get something sorted soon. And well done for not heading straight for comfort food. It’s true what you say, that once your body gets used to this WoE the cravings gradually begin to fade.

DAWN lovely to hear from you too, and hope that you will see some results by Christmas Eve. Shout out if you need any help or inspiration!

I’ve not been as resolute as I would have liked this week but am now at 144.8lb – my weekly “pound a week” goal was 144. So I have a bit of catch up work to do next week to get to 143lb. As so many of us have said, there’s only one person can do it, so I need to up my game! Maybe listen to my own advice and vary my eating patterns a bit next week, including longer fasts, to shake things up a bit.

Have a great weekend everyone X

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, I had a salutary interview with my GP today, I’ve been too complacent lately which I knew but well, you know, in some clothes I don’t look so bad …
    Anyway, today the GP told me I have mild non alcoholic fatty liver disease, and that losing weight is no longer an aesthetic goal but an actual health imperative. Well it was a bit of a shock but better to know than not know and she has given me some definite aims, including adding weight training and aiming for 10kg weight loss in the shortish term.
    Well done to all of you who are having great results! A close friend died a few years ago from non alcoholic fatty liver disease and it’s not a pretty way to go so feeling like I really have to give my all to this for my health.

Hope every one is feeling hopeful as the weekend approaches!

on

Hi MARIET just a quick post to send love your way and commiserate with you about your news. What a shock! But as you say it’s better to know than not to know, and we will all support you in your weight loss programme. When you say shortish term for 10kg loss, how long are you looking at? We’ll be here for you to help you get there xx

on

Hello Everyone
    Mariet- just to say sorry to hear about your blood test result but I have no doubt that you’ll be able to reverse the NAFLD with this way of eating. The New Year will see many of us pushing towards our goals and we will all be here to offer support along the journey. This might have done you a favour to spur you on. I have to get my cholesterol down so I’m hoping that when I go for my next blood test the fasting will have helped. I should have been re-tested in September but I told the nurse that at the time my cholesterol was the least of my worries but I do intend to go back in February to see if it has come down.
    I have done a 24 hour fast, a 38 hour fast and a 40 hour fast this week. The scales haven’t moved but I did fit into a smaller pair of jeans this morning. Now listen to this for a dilemma- my friend is taking me out for afternoon cream tea today!!!! She has paid for it and I haven’t the heart to decline as she knows what a difficult few months I’ve had and this is her way of a “treat”! I hasten to add that she is a diabetic patient! It’s a feeding day today and I really wanted to stay low carb! I don’t want to offend her by declining but I also don’t want to undo all my hard work! 😓 I will try and be discreet about what I don’t eat and hope she doesn’t notice. I have two meals out next week with friends too- it’s that time of year but life has to go on and I’ll fast around the meals out and hope I can cling onto the 8 lbs I’ve lost and try to get another 2lb under my belt before Christmas.
    Anyway- todays NSV is getting into my size 12 jeans! I’ve a lovely pair of black velvet trousers I would like to wear at Christmas. When I tried them on a couple of weeks ago they wouldn’t meet at the front!!! I’ll try them on in two weeks time and see if they’re any nearer to zipping up!!
    Have a good weekend everyone.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

A quick check in from me. I thought this thread had gone quiet recently, didn’t realise it was because I’d been unsubscribed from receiving emails!
    Mariet – I can imagine what a shock these results were for you, but agree it’s better to know than not know, and at least you can do something about it.
    Cathy – well done on your NSV. How nice of your friend to want to treat you. I read a good quote recently that said basically we eat over 1000 meals a year, it’s what you eat in the majority of those meals that’s important – the odd ‘unhealthy’ meal won’t make much difference, so enjoy!
    I’ve managed to lose a kilo this week – weight has been up and down since having COVID last month. I initially lost as wasn’t eating much, then regained once my appetite returned to normal, but appear to be on the way down again now. I’d really like to get down to 88kg again by year end. I’m at 90.4 after my loss this week so it is doable. This would see me at a similar weight as I was at the end of last year. Then in 2024 I can focus on the last 8kg 🙂 that’s the plan anyway…
    Now to read all of the other posts I’ve missed 🙂

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’ve been having a bit of a hard time this week. I’m still in limbo about my car, but it goes back to the garage tomorrow and they will do another round of diagnostics. It’s going to be hard enough to cover the expense of all the work that has been done so far, so I hope I don’t have to end up needing to buy a new car. My consolation has been that I’ve been eating fewer meals and when I do eat, I’m eating out of my cupboards and freezer, so I have been saving some money there. I’ve been struggling with the fasting this week though. After my record-breaking 44 hours last weekend, I’ve only managed a couple of 24 hour fasts this week. I was on track to go a full 36+ on Friday, but then my parents invited me for dinner. I had been working hard stacking wood, so I went and had dinner. I had 2 meals in a 5 hour window yesterday, and am trying to fast again today, but I’m feeling quite headachy, so we’ll see.
    Cathy, well done on the fasts and the NSVs. You’re inspiring me now to get back at it.
    Mariet, sorry to hear of your diagnosis, and as everyone says, you are in the right place to try and do something about it now.
    SueBlue, glad you are seeing some weight loss again after your run in with Covid.

on

Hello everyone
    Arcticfox- tomorrow is another day. I honestly think it’s a good thing to mix things up so our body doesn’t get used to the same pattern so maybe mixing up your fasts will prove to be ok. I hope you get your car problem resolved. I am fasting now til Tuesday- planning to do 36 hours today and Thursday and Saturday this week as I am seeing friends for lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday and am out with my work colleagues on Sunday evening . Just when I was getting into the rhythm of my fasts I too have had to mix them up but I like the flexibility. I have eaten more today than I would normally do to try and get me through the next 36 hours . I don’t think I ate enough last week on my feeding days
    It would be good to lose another couple of pounds before Christmas and then I will have achieved a 10 lb loss but I am not going to be too disappointed if I don’t because I am trusting in the process and I know that I am not eating to excess so should lose weight/fat in time.
    We have two weeks before Christmas to do what we can. It’s always going to be more difficult at this time of year with parties, meals with friends etc so just think how much easier it should be after Christmas to get into the swing of things when all the temptation is behind us.
    The scales didn’t move last week but im feeling in control and trusting the process and also feel better for ditching the carbs. My MRI spine scan is scheduled for Saturday morning next week. I doubt whether I’ll get any results before Christmas from that.
    DCT- I hope you are 143 this week- that would be amazing – I can’t wait to get back into the 140’s!!
    I am aiming to be 149 in January. You’ve inspired me
    SueBlue- well done on maintaining your weight this year- it’s incredible and that last 8kg is definitely doable in 2024.
    Nokie- I’m very excited and eagerly await your news about reaching GOAL!!! What a celebration that will be for us all .
    Have a good week everyone.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thanks everyone for your support. I’ve been doing pretty well and down a bit over a kilo which I am happy about. I have started the weight training my GP recommended, she said, don’t go to the gym, use your body weight. Half a minute each of squats, lunges, push ups etc, do 3-5 minutes worth before going for a walk. She said it would activate the large muscles and aid me getting into ketosis faster. Doesn’t sound too hard, right? And I walk 5-6km every day, I thought it would be a doddle.
    1st set of squats, not too bad, managed 11. Rested for a minute and repeated, bit harder but did 10. Then went to do the lunges, tried one, lunged forward, my quads started screaming at me and i found myself on the floor, very surprised. For the rest of the day every step was penance and walking down stairs called for real fortitude and deep breathing. The stiff muscles lasted for days!
    So I revised my plan and decided to start small and work up. Now I am up to one set of squats morning and evening before my walks and might try adding the lunges next week. Push ups and planks, oddly, are quite ok.
    DCT, you asked about my timeframe. I don’t know what is realistic any more. In 2017 in my first 8 weeks I lost 9.7kg, kept going and in my 2nd 8 weeks I lost another 7kg. That stellar progress has never been repeated in any of my restarts. So I guess the answer is, as fast as I can. I will certainly be back for another round in January.
    CC, I hope your cream tea worked out all right. I agree with others, one meal in the scheme of things is not going to break the bank. For myself though it can be like lowering the floodgates so keep vigilant after 🙂 I am glad you’ve been seeing some progress.
    SueBlue, it’s nice to hear from you again! I hope you are coping all right in this hot, humid weather. Well done on maintaining your weight! That is so much better than continuing a small, steady gain as so many of us did for a few years there.
    I have the family coming to my house for Christmas dinner this year. It didn’t start out that way but first one then another asked if they could come, then my mother asked if she could invite her ironing lady who is alone in the world and hasn’t had a family christmas since she left foster care at 18. What can one say? So now we will be sitting 9 (including a toddler) down to an eight seater table but I am sure it will all go well and I’m a bit chuffed that they all want to be here. I’ve farmed out anything that isn’t low carb to others to bring and making sure that there are plenty of things that I will enjoy as well.
    I hope everyone is feeling good about themselves and in a positive frame of mind, it makes such a difference. I’ll try to update again before Christmas but in case I don’t, best wishes to you all for a happy Christmas and New Year season!

• posted by PeterFl
    on

Hi Everyone,
    I thought I would post an update at the end of 8 weeks on the diet and the results from my recent visit to the GP.
    So I ended up losing 16.5 Kg over the 8 weeks, l also
    Lost 4 inches off my waist and dropped 2 sizes in clothing. My blood pressure has also dropped to the normal range so that’s another great result.

The GP ran blood tests, cholesterol has dropped from 6 to 5 with the levels of “bad cholesterol” dropping significantly. So no medication required for cholesterol or blood pressure!

I was little disappointed with blood glucose test results, they came back at 48mmol/mol though they have dropped from 70 mmol/mol in 8 weeks.

So I’ve agreed with my GP to try to lose some more weight and get the blood test done again in 3 months.

Hoping to get the blood sugar below 48mmol/mol as that’s still a Type 2 Diabetes level. I am hoping the levels will drop as this weeks test would have been looking at a 3 month average that included high levels pre diet.

I wish you all well with your journeys to better health, stay strong.

Best regards

Peter

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Wow thats really well done PETER! 👍👍
    Love to all,ive caught up reading all the news,will have to return to reply,notime right now.
    For now,have to confess ive been getting into the christmas spirit far too soon and have regained 5 lb of the 15 lb i lost! Will try to whittle a bit of that off again in the upcoming week.
    Here we go on the last week of this bus trip folks! I love this from Confucius…
    Man is great not because he hasnt failed,man is great because failure hasnt stopped him.
    XX

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Just butting onto this thread to say well done to Peter. Sorry you are disappointed with the drop from 70 to 48 BG but honestly that is bloody great. If you were a long time diabetic I would say that is about as good as it gets (like me at 6.0 on a different scale which is still diabetic). As you are newly diagnosed you still have a lot of scope to get your 48 even further down. However, Christmas is on the horizon and might need some careful planning and avoiding the obvious pitfalls. You don’t have to deny yourself everything but make it a one off piece of cake or mince pie. I treat it like Christmas is only one day not a whole week. Good luck and hoping to hear from you again in 3 months. BTW the weight loss is great and even further will also bring the BG down again.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    The headache that I was getting when I last posted turned into a full blown migraine that lasted 2.5 days. I’ve just taken this week off trying to fast and have just eaten when hungry and what I felt like. Given that I haven’t been shopping and am still eating out of my cupboards and freezer, that means I wasn’t too far off piste, but I still feel puffier than I was as a result. I had a small NSV this morning though. I’m wearing my larger size of leggings that were starting to get too big on me when stretched out, but still ok straight out of the wash. I haven’t worn them for a couple of weeks and I’m happy to report that they are now too big even straight out of the wash. So perhaps my body needed this little break. I’ll have to try my goal trousers on later.
    I’m back on the fasting today and we’ll see how long I can go. Sitting at 16 hours right now. I was doing some more plaster repairs this morning. Having a small break for some water and then will get on with some painting. The final colour will be going on 2 of the walls today, and I’m quite excited to see how it is going to look. So much better than the very dirty mustard yellow colour that was there, I hope.
    I am reaching that point in an ‘eat out of the cupboards’ month where I am starting to feel a bit deprived and I want to go shopping just for the heck of it. It’s because I just need to find the brain space to get a bit more creative with what is left. I’ve eaten through most of the fresh veg, but I still have lots of the onions and garlic that I grew and broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, spinach and chard in the freezer. Lots of chickpeas, lentils, black beans in the cupboard and Greek yogurt and parmesan cheese in the fridge. I have 6 kabocha squash that I grew in the basement as well. So I should be able to come up with something from that. There is a special on cheddar cheese and eggs this week at the local supermarket, so I likely will stop in and get those, and if I’m feeling extravagant, perhaps some cream as well. But I’m committed to keeping a very tight shopping list and not wavering.
    Good to hear of all the successes, but yes, it is a challenging time of year, so we need to be a bit easy on ourselves as well, but as s-g says just plan things as some one-off treats and then get back to things. We still have 9 days until Christmas day, so that is still time to make some progress around any other holiday obligations of course.

on

Hello everyone
    One week to go until our a Christmas Eve weigh in! I had to weigh myself yesterday for my MRI scan and I weighed 157 lbs which was disappointing and I was 155 last week! I was hoping to get to 153 lb by Christmas Eve so I would have lost 10lb but that doesn’t seem doable now. Anyway- I’m fasting today for 36 hours and plan to do two more fasts this week so I will see how low I can go. It’s only a number and the scales don’t reflect the true picture
    I’ll report in on Christmas Eve. I am planning to have a few days off over a Christmas as my son is coming home and I’ll be back on track fasting when he goes home on 28th December.
    Have a good week everyone.

on

Completed a 39 hour fast this morning and had an eating day today. Fasting again from now. Going to try for another 36 hour fast but if I’m struggling I’ll do 24 hours and then another one on Thursday into Friday. I’m so determined to get 10 lb off during this journey and be 153lb by Christmas. That would mean that getting to 149 lb is in sight for January! Losing weight seems much harder than it ever was.
    Keep chipping away everyone.

on

Hello everyone
    Hope you’re all doing well. I’m doing my last fast today before Christmas. All Christmas shopping is done and all presents are wrapped. My eldest son comes home from London tomorrow. He caught covid last week but is well enough to come home. My fridge is bulging with festive food and as well as treats, there is a lot of healthy stuff in there too. Whilst I’ve been fasting this last three weeks it has brought home to me just how much I have previously over eaten and I am going to continue fasting in the New Year for health as well as weight loss benefit. I do plan to feast over the festive period but not to excess. I am weighing myself tomorrow morning and will take that reading as my end of this journey weight and will post my result.
    I’ve thoroughly enjoyed getting back into the zone and would like to say a massive thank you to everyone for your encouragement and for your non judgmental support. In January it will my 7 year anniversary of finding the blood sugar diet way or eating. It was at Christmas book club in December 2016 that my friend told me about how her mum had lost 3 stone and I couldn’t wait to buy the book and get going. There have been ups and downs but one of the best things has been finding so many friends on the forum to share experiences, tips, fun, and advice. I will post my weight tomorrow and then take a week off before returning for my 7th year. I hope to share another journey with you all.

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hello Cathy and all fellow friends on our bus🎄🎄💕💕
    I too joined in 2016 and as you say Cathy it’s been a roller coaster!! I have fallen off our bus so many times but with everyone’s help an encouragement I managed to find my seat 💺 again!!
    I would also like to thank everyone for their help especially over this last year I have nearly got to my goal but I know I will prob put on a few pounds over Christmas 🤶 but I am not worried as I will be on the next 🚌 after Christmas and keep going
    I wish you all a very happy Christmas 🎄 and a very happy and healthy 2024
    See you all on the next bus ride does anyone know what we will be called??
    Lv nokie xx🎄💕🎄🤗

on

Hi everyone

Just catching up after a hectic week. Firstly very well done to everyone who has seen results on this journey. PETER you’ve done so well and I hope the good progress continues into 2024. CATHY and NOKIE so glad you are both seeing results this time round and am sure that will continue into the new year. MARIET, SUE BLUE and YOWZER how have the final stages of our journey been for you? And ARCTIC FOX I hope you are feeling better and that the painting is now done?

Hello to everyone else too. Sorry for the rather rushed message but there’s lots going on at this end – over and above the usual seasonal stuff – and I have a very busy day ahead. I’ve also taken my eye off the ball this week diet-wise. My final weight for this journey is 144.6lb. Not quite where I wanted to be but I have lost almost 5lb overall over the 8 weeks so I’m still pleased that I’m heading in the right direction again. I’ll take a few days off for Christmas then get back on board again next week : I’m already tired of seeing Christmas “goodies” everywhere and just thinking about all that sugar!!

As for the next journey, how about we start Tuesday 2nd January? Ideas for names very welcome. I’ve got as far as thinking we could include the word “Leap” and run up to Thursday 29th February – it feels we ought to acknowledge this once in 4 years date somehow! So get yoru thinking caps on and we’ll regroup in January.

Meanwhile I wish you all a wonderful Christmas. However you do or don’t celebrate, I hope that it is a happy, healthy and peaceful time for all of us.

Lots of love, and see you in 2024! X

on

Hello Everyone
    I have lost 8lb on this journey. – it was 9lb but today I was up when I weighed. I am happy with my progress and inspired to continue in January. Thank you all for your wonderful friendship and support this year.
    My Christmas plans have been thrown a plot twist as both my sons have covid so I am feeling sad today! One is recovering so hopefully can make it home from London weather and trains permitting today but my youngest only tested positive last night so we won’t be seeing him. Another zoom Christmas for us 😢
    Merry Christmas to everyone and here’s to a healthy and happy 2024. See you all aboard the Leap Year Bus!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Sorry to hear about your son CC but congratulations on your loss, great result and you’ve certainly worked for it. Well done on your 5lb DCT, well done! And well done to everyone for good results or just for still being here!
    I am 5lb down as well which I am glad about and hoping for not too much damage over Christmas.
    I’ll be here on the next bus and hoping for good results. Wishing everyone a happy Christmas and New Year and see you all soon 🎄🎉🥂🎄

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Seasons Greetings fellow busfolk!
    Well done to all losers! This is one place when being a loser is a positive!
    I HAD lost 16 lbs but started my Crimbo celebrations far too early and in the end,lost 9 lbs
    CCATHY so sorry you wont see your covid son…thank goodness for zoom tho.! Hope he gets well very soon
    Love to all,have a happy Solstice and a cool Yule,everyone,and enjoy the festivities! 🥳🥳🥳 See you all soon xxxx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy well done on your loss, especially after th difficult year you’ve had! Sorry to hear that both your sons have Covid, what bad timing.

Yowzer, Peter, Nokie, Mariet and DCT well done too 🙂

My loss on this trip was 2kg exactly, or just under 4.5lb, so I’m happy with that, considering that I really didn’t put much effort in this trip! I’m going to focus on losing the rest of the weight I need to lose once Christmas is out of the way. Like you Cathy, Nokie and DCT I’ve been following BSD since January 2017. I can’t believe it’s been that long! And I agree with Cathy, it’s wonderful to have made so many friendships during our various journeys.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Christmas and Nee Year and see you all on the Leap Year bus! 🎄🌲🎅😵🎅🎄🌲🎁

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh wow SUEBLUE,i hadnt realised,leap year next year!
    I joined BSD forum in July 2016 and have made so many lovely friends on here. Whats really nice is that the forum is still thriving. I joined a fasting forum in 2014 and it was a lively fun place,met up with some of the members a few times,but sadly it had petered out within two years. So,well done all BSDers for keeping on keeping on!💕

Please log in or register to post a reply.