7 Day Reboot ….. Tuesday 27th September !!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl – since 3rd Sept I have been putting all my meals into fat secret in the morning and it seems to have also really helped me. It’s like – once it is in the diary the days eating is cast in stone and my brain won’t let me deviate. Totally weird and not like me at all. It also allows me to adjust and change what I am eating to stay close to the 30g target as I am not good at doing this just before I eat.

Frog – what a lovely day at the gallery and another good BSD day. It seems to be getting easier to eat BSD now when out so I wonder if a lot more people are cutting down on the carbs when eating out now.

Yesterday I did no steps at all. I was literally glued to my computer all day. At 5pm I rushed out to teach my classes so I at least I was on my feet for 4 hours. Back home at 9.30pm and another hour and a half on the computer catching up with admin (my sister who does some admin for me is ill so I am doing it myself).

What did I eat in the evening to console myself for having to work literally non stop all day and do admin that I hate – shock horror – absolutely nothing. Just a glass of water – but I do think I might have wavered if I hadn’t been posting here as I was pretty fed up.

Pre BSD it would have been a cappuccino, some crisps, some insulin some nuts, some chocolate (dark of course as it is so good for you) more insulin, more crisps, more chocolate more insulin etc etc.

So yesterday net carbs 26.42. Calories 847. This morning 10 stone 3 3/4lb – which is exactly a stone since 3rd Sept and 2 1/4lbs since Tuesday. No insulin for 3 weeks 1 day. Fasting b.s. 47.

• posted by Verano
    on

Have just written a post and lost it so for today …..

Yesterday
    Calories 779
    Carbs 36.4 !!!

Average for the four days is
    Calories 748
    Carbs 31
    So ok with that.

Down another pound today despite going over on carbs!!

Well done everyone! Keep going! Now on downward slope just 3 more days to go!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Morning all, today I weigh the same (74.7 kg) and have just planned out my menu for the day which comes in at:-

740 calories and 31 carbs.

Must say, it was higher than that but I did some small adjustments i.e. calories the skinny cottage pie says to put cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese into the cauliflower topping. In my mind I don’t need both so cut one out and lost 110 calories. Then for lunch I am having roasted chicken with roasted red pepper and asparagus and cut the red pepper by half and took out one asparagus stalk and saved about 5 carbs, bringing my into line. Not much to change but such as difference if I want to stay 800 and 30.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl

I’ve noticed that both you and Krysia are filling in your food logs in the morning. I have been doing the same this week for the first time! It certainly concentrates the mind! In the first post, that I lost this morning, I was saying how I had dinner very much later than normal last night. I was starving so had to ‘snack’. Forgot about water entirely so started with some cold meat, then 10 almonds and finally a Nair’s stem ginger biscuit …. 6.6 carbs in just one biscuit !!!! The biscuit took me over the top carb wise but did still have to add some butter to my cauliflower to get my calories up! Never thought I’d see the day when I was desperate to up my calories!!!

Not done my menu for today yet only just managed to have my breakfast!

Have a good day!

on

Hi Verano, I never counted the carbs before, I just stuck to a menu plan from the book and made sure I was around 800 calories. But for the sake of what we are doing this week I decided I would have to be careful to stay around 30 grams. Depending on how this week goes I will decide if it is worth the effort to count every little carb when I know I am eating good food. If I lose load I might stick to the strict counting. We will see.

on

I should also say that it is teaching me more about quantities. I have just spiralized my courgette and booked it into my log as 150 grams, had a massive pile of slivers and put them on the scales AND ONLY 70 grams, so I have just saved myself 13 calories and 3 carbs, enough with my other bit left over for an evening snack. That takes me to closer to 700 calories and 28 carbs for today.

Happy October everyone

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl

Not sure that I was counting anything too accurately before this week!

The one thing that has really astounded me are the carbs in ‘harmless’ vegetables. I have only just started to weigh courgetti and cauliflower. I am now reducing vegetables and fruit! Always thought strawberries were fine but now I ‘know’!!!

Maybe weighing everything, every now and again, will help with portion control. Hence dumping the courgette slivers!!!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Excited!!!

Just got my ‘Recipe Book’ and really surprised at the quality. I was expecting something similar to the BSD book which is a bit rough but no, this is very smart lovely quality and nice pictures to show you what the food should look like!!!

Looking forward to using it.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Verano – I started weighing everything and logging it into fat secret on 3rd Sept. The first 4 months (started on 1st May) I guessed everything and thought vegetables and berries and hummus contained hardly any carbs). I was told by the dietician at the hospital that the carbs in hummus do not affect blood sugar levels so there is no need to count the carbs or inject insulin to cover it. Clearly not true.

I lost 1 stone and 1lb in 4 months then with fat secret and weighing everything I have lost a mind blowing 1 stone since 3rd Sept. Two stone overall (I had to lose 1lb twice).

It shows how bad I was at guessing. Also planning the day in the morning I can tweak my menu – usually I have to take out the blueberries or cut down on the quantities of veg. I had absolutely no idea that non starchy vegetables contained so many carbs.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 6 of 7

A strange day yesterday . Had all my food logged and tried to cook cauliflower in an actifry !!! Huge mistake . Started with 200g of lovely fresh cauliflower and ended up with a few charred rubbery bits of something! Anyway had to improvise so calories a big high.

Calories 991
    Carbs 30.7
    Fasting bloods 6.4 even though they are meaningless I feel good that they’re coming down!

But, lost another pound!!!! That’s 6.2 in five days!!! I must have been rubbish at counting and weighing before!

Krysia, my ‘history’ is very similar to yours. Started July 5th, lost 15lbs in first 8 weeks, actually more if you include the pounds I had to lose twice!! Then went away for most of September and put on 2.6lbs. Now after 5 days of being ‘serious’ I’ve lost 6.2lbs!!!

I couldn’t agree more about planning the day in the morning rather than just going with the flow. It does give you the flexibility to tweak here and there when needs be.

Have a good day everyone.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – I wonder if the fasting blood sugars are meaningless until we get rid of the visceral fat and then they are stable and in the normal range. Until then they seem to yo yo madly. Mine were between 5.9 and 7.8 but as soon as I no longer needed insulin the fasting levels dropped and stabilised at 4.7 (today at 4.3). So I think your dropping numbers are a good sign that the visceral fat is going but they still may fluctuate until it is all gone.

We have an actifry and were going to try cauliflower in it – so thank you for posting that it is a total disaster in the actifry

I measured my waist yesterday. It has gone from 35 to 31 on 3rd Sept to 28 1/2inches yesterday. When I looked in the mirror the fat around my middle, waist and tummy has virtually gone. I actually have a waist. It was so funny – I felt much more emotional about that than when my pancreas started working and my diabetes went into ‘remission’ . Though of course it could be that I have finally won the 40 year battle to get rid of the tummy fat and that is pretty momentous. Even if I lost weight before on one of the million diets I tried over the years it never seemed to get rid of the waist and tummy fat.

Yesterday 25.42 net carbs and 787 calories. Today I am trying to tweak my planned meals to include a square of dark chocolate.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I never thought of my fasting bloods as meaningless. For me it was an indication of what was happening to my body. I could never get that reading below 7 prior to the BSD, but during the day the levels dropped only to rise the next morning. The dreaded ‘dawn phenomenon ‘. The day I started the BSD my fasting reading was 10.9.

What I found was that as soon as I dropped the carbs, even my fasting bloods dropped. Now all my blood tests are in the normal range. I was not any any medication for diabetes, although it was threatened, now they can’t say that anymore!

on

Hi everyone, happy Sunday.

I have logged all my food for the day and will be coming in at:-
    610 calories
    23 carbs
    My weight today is:-
    74.4 kgs starting weight 75.4, so have lost 1kg or 2.2 lbs

I am having Coq au Vin tonight but not quite from the recipe book. That comes to 510 calories and 10 carbs. My version comes in at 350 calories and 15 carbs. Cut out half the wine and throw in red pepper and courgette which are not in the book one. If I had followed her recipe to the letter I would have had 840 cals and 13 carbs for the day and I don’t quite like that balance. At least I have some calories left for a snack tonight and a piece of 75% chocolate (1 carb 58 calories).

Really pleased to have lost weight so far into any diet as we are into the half a pound a week zone but this still works no matter what week you are in and it is not even weigh in day yet.

Keep on keeping on.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Captainlynne
    Of course – you are right, it is the dreaded โ€˜dawn phenomenon โ€˜ that messes up the fasting blood sugars. I haven’t had the โ€˜dawn phenomenon โ€˜ once since 7th September so I am assuming that once your blood sugars are in the normal range you no longer get it. Have you found that this is the case?

I loved your ‘after’ photographs in the Daily Mail. I am sure they will encourage so many more people to start the BSD way of eating.

Hi Sunshine-girl, well done for your weight loss and for tweaking your days food to get in a piece of 75% chocolate. I have enough carbs but not enough calories.

on

Forgot to mention my blood glucose 6.1 or 110, funny when my weight drops for a couple of days my b/g goes up a bit. When I gain a bit the b/g goes down. It goes back to around 5.0 after a day or so. Must keep an eye on that, anyway 6.1 is still good.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi KrysiaD

I’be certainly found that my blood sugars don’t rise in the morning anymore, and haven’t for many months. I’be just checked back (glad I kept good notes) and my fasting bloods have been in the normal range since January – I started the BSD on 19th December.

Also, my HbA1c just prior to BSD was 9.6. In April it was 5.5 and in July it was 5.2.

Glad you liked the photos ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by captainlynne
    on

sunshine-girl

If you read Bill1945’s thread ‘this has to work for me’ he talks a lot about his blood sugars. Just search for it in the search box.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

Just had brunch of omelette asparagus and smoked salmon …. really yummy so that could be my new Sunday morning treat!

Well done sunshine-girl it gets so much more difficult to lose as you get closer to target so 2.2lbs at this stage is great.

Krysia with regards to cauliflower in the actifry I think it may be that I just cooked it too long. I treated it like potato chips, because it’s hard , and cooked it for 40 mins without looking at it!! Maybe if you try 20mins you could have more success .

Well done on your waist measurement guess it’s more emotional because you can see your waist but not your pancreas … out of sight out of mind!!!

Blood sugars … some say fasting bloods aren’t meaningful because they fluctuate like mad and then there’s the ‘dawn phenomenon’ ! So I do mine every other day just to give myself another number to worry about!! As for visceral fat going …. well I have tons of it to go yet!!!!

And then there’s chocolate! I had two squares of Lindt 90% last night hence the high calories for yesterday !! Must admit my taste buds have really changed I now find 90% really creamy!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Captainlynne – that’s good to know that the ‘dawn phenomenon’ does go away.
    Your hb1ac is fantastic now. I have been following your posts and you have been an inspiration to me – especially when I was losing so slowly in the beginning.

Verano – ok will have a go with the actifry – and will try to remember to keep an eye on it.

I think you are right that the waist is a real visual sign of the visceral fat going away but the pancreas is ‘out of sight out of mind’. I am still waiting to wake up though and find that this has all been a dream!

I am finding my 70% chocolate is tasting a bit sweet now and I found some 85% Fair Trade chocolate, the Co-op’s own brand, which tastes really creamy and is only ยฃ1.59. So taste buds are changing. I used to dislike tomatoes but suddenly am finding them really tasty and sweet.

Sunshine-girl 6.1 is still really good and it will only get better and better.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks KrysiaD ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Verano – I keep reading about the actifry. I can’t decide if I need one or not. I have a halogen oven that I use a lot – living alone it saves me having to heat my oven to cook just for me! I’ve tried other kitchen gadgets with varying degrees of success, but the only ones I’I’ve stayed with are the microwave and halogen oven, although I sometimes do use a slow cooker. Stupid question time – what can I use the actifry (or similar) for? I’ve seen comments online about frying chiosa but not much else. Don’t want to buy something else destined to live at the back of the cupboard!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Lynne

Personally, with this plan I wouldn’t bother with an actifry. I used it mainly for chips because it only used one tablespoon of oil. But not eating potatoes and no problem with fats anymore so no need for it!!

I did try one or two other things like chicken pieces but it just didn’t work for me. Maybe others would say differently.

Best I can say is I wouldn’t buy one now.

on

Actually I think 6.1 is good so wasn’t complaining, just reporting in. I know all about the dawn effect, which is why I have a snack at night. Just curious as to why it goes up as my weight comes down, then takes a few days to settle. The body does funny things and the changes it sees probably it needs to adjust other chemical balances when something unexpected happens to it.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl – yes 6.1 is really good and shows you are well on the way to normal blood sugars.

Yesterday net carbs 30.28 calories 795 – I didn’t have the square of dark chocolate yesterday or I would have been a bit over but today I can have 2 squares as part of my lunch. I will be sitting in the hairdressers then so will take a little flask of Kefir and that will be lovely.

Today have lost another half pound – this reboot has really helped me keep on track. Yesterday I had a lovely time sorting out things that are really too big and packing them up for the animal charity shop. Usually I put them in a storage box ready for when the weight comes back – but this time is different – they are already in the bin bags ready to go.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 7 of 7

Well last day today!!

Yesterday:
    Calories 806
    Carbs 9.3!
    Yes really was 9.3! I just had brunch and a Greek meal last night. Was going to have Greek salad with chicken kebab but ended up having tzatziki instead much lower in carbs! Enough calories left for 2 squares of 90% chocolate! I wouldn’t normally be that low in carbs it just happened after a very low carb/high protein breakfast. Not something I will do too often.

Anyway, lost another 1.8lbs bringing it to 8lbs in total!

Krysia I’m glad this challenge is helping you …… it’s doing wonders for me!!!

Sunny-girl I’d love my bloods to be 6.1 sounds great to me!

Panorama a tonight 8.30pm ‘Diabetes: The hidden killer’ … could be interesting!!!

P.S. Does anybody want to do another challenge tomorrow?

on

Hi all, another weight loss, total this week 1.1 kg, 2.5 lbs (less a smidge). Blood glucose this morning 3.5 (64), funny thing is that would normally have me all shaky and then I would get scared. But, that is normal for a non diabetic so surely we have to get those sorts of readings or how do we know we are improving???? Answers on a postcard please.

I haven’t worked out my carbs and calories for today as I have just got back from my 2 yearly appointment with the cardiologist. I showed him my blood results from August. First of all he asked why I had gone from 5.6 (2 years ago) to 8.2 early during last year and early this year so I told him about my meeting with the dietician and the rotten diet she put me on. The he noticed in August it was 6.7 and said ‘bon resulte’ so I told him I had taken matters into my own hands and cut out simple carbs. Really difficult in French but he got it and gave me a big thumbs up. My heart is in great shape, no furring of the arteries, no irregularities my print out looks great and steady so cant wait to take it to doctor at next routine diabetes check. Blood pressure still at 140/80 but I had a hell of a morning. Just about the leave the house when 7 massive agricultural vehicles piled up outside my house and all along the lane. They chose today to come and cut the maize. We convinced them to shift, showed them my appointment card and we managed to get to the cardio on time. Any wonder my bp was up. Anyway, next month I have to go and do the bicycle test.

Still, alls well that ends well as they say.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl

Sounds as though you’re in great shape , well done!!

It’s really frightening that we put our trust in the ‘experts’ and they bugger us up with their out of date treatments. I think you’re so right in that we have to take responsibility for our own health. That’s not say that we know ‘best’ and can do without the professionals, but we do have brains and can make our own choices from what’s on offer.

Well done on your weight loss as well!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Verano,

I have my issues with medical professionals but these fora do have a tendency to be very critical of doctors and nurses regarding their lack of knowledge of/unwillingness to blindly endorse BSD. In medical terms, the research for the effectiveness/safety of LCHF diets is still incomplete as long-term, follow-up studies have not yet been done and subject to rigorous peer review. To have them accept all new ideas without these rigorous studies would be equally inadvisable, as the current debate over the real effectiveness of statins on a wide population probably shows us.

Saying that, all the medical professionals I have dealt with on this topic over the last few months have been nothing but supportive and made it clear what the risks and options are and that it is ultimately my choice. YMMV.

on

Jules, as an ex-nurse I am aware of the constraints put on the medical profession and I don’t think we are over critical, just sometimes a bit frustrated that we are not listened to. As well as my nursing experience (some years ago now), my brother has just retired so is quite up to date. When he heard about this diet he tut tutted, when he heard it was 800 cals he nearly had a fit, when he came to visit I fed him my diet and now he is on it. He is not diabetic but has some medical problems. Only thing is he sticks to the diet, goes to the gym every day then eats 4 bars of chocolate. Oh well, you win some etc…..

By the way what does YMMV mean. I get your mileage may vary but don’t understand it in this context. I’m not quite down with the kids and only just worked out TTFN. lol

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

In this context it means my interactions with the medical professionals have been uniformly positive, I do understand from some people’s posts that their experience has differed.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi JulesMaigret (great name by the way)

At the foot of this post is what sunshine-girl posted a little time ago, which I found very helpful in terms of research to date, and official advice.

Whilst I am very very very appreciative of the NHS in the UK and would not criticise it unduly (except as a critical friend) as I really would not want to do without it, I do find that GPs are not particularly well educated about nutrition and the various alternatives and are often prone to suggest that their patients ‘go away and lose weight’ without much advice as to how to do it. It is my view many many people would like an indication of ‘how to do it’, especially if it produces swift and measurable results, and can be undertaken without too much suffering of hunger. The other benefits are just ‘the icing on the cake’ and yes, I wish that was a more appropriate metaphor ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you sunshine-girl, I keep quoting this:

A page printed from the Public Health Collaboration on Healthy Eating Guidelines and Weight Loss for the United Kingdom. The site is phcuk.org, an official government site for public health.
    Conclusion on page 24 said in 2008 โ€œEvidence from this systematic review demonstrates that low-carbohydrate/high-protein diets are more effective at 6 months and are as effective, if not more, as low-fat diets in reducing weight and cardiovascular
    disease risk up to 1 year. More evidence and longer-term studies are needed to assessthe long-term cardiovascular benefits from the weight loss achieved using these diets.โ€ That was in 2008
    Finally, in February 2016 the fourth specific analysis was published in the British Journal of Nutrition finding that โ€œCompared with subjects on low-fat diets, subjects on low-carbohydrate diets experienced significantly greater weight loss, greater triglycerides
    reduction and greater increase in HDL-cholesterol after 6 months to 2 years of intervention.โ€
    So between 2008 and 2016 the medical advice on nutrition has changed from thinking low carb might be a good idea to 2016 concluding it is a great idea. They go on to say that they are concerned that NICE are not taking up this advice and, in particular, still advocating high carb, low fat diets when it has been shown that low fat leads to fatter people. Apparently NICE are waiting for trial to end so phuk have carried out their own trials and their final final conclusion is:
    In light of this scientific evidence the Public Health Collaboration recommends thatthe guidelines for weight loss in the UK should include an ad libitum low-carbohydrate-high-fat diet of real foods as an acceptable, effective and safe approach,

on

The medical profession want to do it but NICE is holding back, maybe as Jules say, until the results are in. My own experience with the medical profession is mixed, a diabetic nutritionist who put me on a high carb diet which led to 5kg weight gain and HBA1c of 11.5 when I had been 5.6. I managed to get down to 8.2 myself by cutting carbs down but still ate the usual culprits. Then, thankfully, I found this diet and I am back down to 6.7 with hope of a further reduction at the end of Nov test.

My own doctor is an absolute sweetheart and he asked me what I am doing wrong, I showed him the diet sheet, he said he couldn’t eat that much carb in a day and, as a Frenchman, loved his baguette. When, a year later, I told him I was on 800 cals he was gobsmacked but asked me what I ate and I showed him a 5 day menu plan. He said, okay, it is working, carry on. I had lost 4 kg since my previous visit as well as improving HBA1c. I had to see him last week to get a fit to exercise certificate and had lost another 2kg. So he is well happy.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi JulesMaigret

I think you’re very fortunate to have had ‘uniformly positive’ interactions with medical professionals and I would suggest that you are, maybe, the exception that proves the rule.

Unfortunately, many medical professionals, think that they have the monopoly on ‘knowledge/intelligence’ and often don’t give ‘patients’ credit for understanding their own bodies.

Nobody here suggests that BDS should be ‘blindly endorsed’ but on the other hand the ‘established’ thinking of ‘low fat’ regimes seems to have failed. The obesity problem is growing by the day, as are the number of people being treated for diabetes. The only people to have succeeded in the long term, over the last twenty years or so, singing the ‘low fat’ song, are the owners of ‘slimming clubs’!!!

I have to agree with sunshine-girl in that we often get frustrated, and it’s that that you are reading here rather than ‘extreme criticism’.

I think the beauty of these ‘fora’ is that people from all backgrounds, levels of intelligence and cultures can share their experiences, good and bad, and come together in ‘discussion’.

Whilst we obviously need follow up studies, sometimes you just have to make a judgement, based on your own circumstances and experiences, and follow your own instincts.

on

We know there is yet to be a ‘result’ on the Prof Taylor ‘experiment’ and the jury is still out though very promising. We are the ones who thought, what the hell, no one else is giving us alternative, let’s just go for it. So here we are.

BTW I know that LCHF normally stands for low carb high fat, but watching Dr Mosley in Australia, he calls it low carb healthy fat. That makes better sense as people always say, oh you are doing Atkins. Also, if you watch the TV programme he was on in Oz he is a lot more critical of the medical profession and of the drugs we are being given. Says doctors don’t even know if they work. He was a lot more outspoken over there.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

My point, which I may not have expressed too clearly, was we cannot expect medical professionals to “make a judgment”, we expect them culturally to do the right thing and that can only be based on proper assessments. I understand the point about frustration, and my post was not meant to be a sweeping criticism of this forum, but more a call to be a bit more understanding.

Sunshine girl – you remind me of my experience when I worked in Paris. On the first day I arrived I had to go for a test to certify that I was ‘apte’ to work. The test included an audio test in French where you had to follow instructions recorded on a crackly old tape in French. I failed that section miserably as I had no idea what the person was saying. Still passed the test.

I went for the old Certificat d’Aptitude Physique to join the local rugby club. The doctor took one look at me, spent five minutes talking about that year’s England-France game, signed the form and charged me FF300 – showing my age!.

You have to love French bureaucracy.

on

Jules, I had seen my doctor just 3 week before but only after decided to join a Zumba class, so I had to go back and have all the same things, blood pressure, pulse, weight and a chat. Came away with my Certificat de non contra-indicative de practique d’un sportive – Zumba. Went to the class and they didn’t even ask for it. Going back tonight and will officially sign up and pay so they might want it then.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl
    3.5 is an awesome number. When I was on insulin they drummed it into me that 4 is the floor. So when I came off insulin 3 weeks ago I panicked a bit at some 3.7 readings and spoke to a specialist diabetic nurse. She said that normal readings for someone without diabetes would go as low as 3.5 and they would stay within quite a narrow range so that readings that low were absolutely fine as long as I wasn’t injecting insulin. She said I had made her day as they didn’t often get good news at the diabetic clinic.

Obviously once more people start this way of eating they will be getting lots and lots of good news as people come off their medication. We might also save the NHS a heap of money as they no longer need to treat us. That might actually save the NHS.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

The old CAP was good for a range of activities. The rugby club needed it for the insurance – I’m guessing that the risk of personal or third party injury doing Zumba is fairly limited. Although for me all that dancing would be definitely dodgy!

on

You’ve obviously never done Zumba, I found muscles I never knew I had. Give me a good old rugby scrum any day. LOL

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi JulesMaigret
    I do appreciate the NHS – particularly given recent conversation on this forum with someone in the US – however I had a run of bad health 5-6 years ago, that with appropriate treatment at the outset, could have been dealt with far more efficiently and cheaply by the NHS- and with way less stress and time unable to work for me. Ever since then, I have been very sceptical, and always do my own research rather than accept what I am being told without question.

I have worked for medical research organisations, so I also understand of the Newcastle trial being complete before BSD moves into the territory of becoming mainstream advice. Since starting BSD and bringing my HbA1c results back within normal range (as well cholesterol, fatty liver, protein where it shouldn’t be all resolved, and blood pressure that was already in the normal range lower still), my GP has been delighted, however of the two ‘diabetes specialists’ that I encounter on a regular basis:
    One was pleased with my results, but intimated that another patient who still had blood sugars in the diabetic range (but lower than her previous results) was doing better because she followed “a proper diet” and hadn’t stopped taking her medication, Wow – if I was still chucking back metformin, maybe I’d still be diabetic too.
    The other stated that no one could exist on a diet of 130g of carb a day “because it would affect their brain”
    Whilst BSD is not mainstream advice, as a professional I stay abreast of developments in my sector, I am surprised that other professions do not appear to have much interest in doing this.

on

KrysiaD, I have reduced my insulin by one more unit tonight and will see what happens tomorrow morning. Obviously I will report in on this thread as usual. Today my carbs have been 23 and had 620 calories. I have just done a 50 minute zumba class and don’t feel hungry but have forced myself to eat about 3 oz of chicken to stop the dawn effect.

If you read my post above, I have been bouncing around like Tigger after my visit to the cardio. Will probably have calmed down by tomorrow.

Nite nite

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl I am not surprised that you are bouncing around like Tigger after your visit to the cardio.

I did wonder whether you might find that you have to start cutting down your insulin much more quickly now. I found that I had to cut mine down really quickly as I had some really dramatic lows. It was almost as though there was a tipping point where I was diabetic one day and over just a few days I suddenly wasn’t. It was both quite scary and really exciting.

Frog – I felt really sad when I read your post. Your ‘diabetes specialist’ should have been so pleased about your results and tried to learn everything they could so they could understand how you had done it.

I do think that this way of dealing with diabetes will really gather momentum as more and more of us defeat diabetes. In the end they will not be able to ignore us.

• posted by Verano
    on

Last report!

Yesterday:
    Calories 727
    Carbs 35.7

Average over the week
    Calories 788
    Carbs 28.5

Weight loss today 1.2lbs overall 9.2lbs!!!!!

Well I’m stunned to say the least! It’s amazing what you can do when you stick to the plan like glue!!!

The question is ‘What next?’

I’m not sure what my plan is. I feel that 30g of carbs is a little low for me in the long term. I may just go up 5g a day p, for the next week, to allow for more vegetables. Having watched Panorama last night I won’t be staying too far from the path!!!

How was the blood sugar this morning sunshine-girl ?

Hope you all had a good week.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Verona

Bril work delighted for you it will have given you a brilliant motivation now๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜‡

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Verona, how about we doo one together, I am on day one of my reboot. 800/50 and down by .4 kgs, but I can start day one today if you like. How about it. 9.2 lbs amazing, ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘but I don’t think I can keep to 30 carbs, what was you eating? ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Jan

Good to see you back. I’d be happy to carry on for another week, not sure how long I can go at this pace, so just one week at a time at the moment!

Do you have a thread or shall we start one?

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano very well done – what a stunning result from your week at 30g. I think the majority of BSD people do well on 50g carbs but some of us (a much smaller percentage of people and I am one of them) need to go lower or we don’t lose weight. It is such a good idea to increase by 5g per day to find your ideal amount which is probably pretty close to the 50g. I will be doing that when I reach my target weight. 30g doesn’t give you enough vegetables long term so I am looking forward to more veggies soon.

Greenjanet – it is so good to see you back. When I first started BSD I did a marathon read of loads and loads of threads and I loved reading your posts.

Weight lost this week 2 3/4lbs which takes me to 1 stone 1/4lb lost since 3rd Sept. I am so happy with that.

I would like to join your new thread as it really helped me posting on this thread. Although I may only have maybe 7lbs to lose now I will more than likely need to restrict carbs long term to 50g or lower because I would be absolutely heartbroken if I had to go back on insulin. I feel that need to treat my pancreas gently and not make it work too hard so that it keeps on working.

Yesterday I substituted some veg for 2 squares of dark chocolate – which was lovely but my tastes must be really changing because I wondered as I ate the chocolate why it didn’t taste as amazingly good as it used to.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Verona I think you make an excellent role example, so it should definitely be you leading the thread, kriysiaD also wants to join in, so are we starting today. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐ŸšŒ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi kriysiaD

Not sure what I wrote that was anything useful, I’m usually full of waffle, hehe and fat pixies, but it would be great to have you on board the reboot BSD bus, we all sit on the back seat together, cuddling up and supporting each other. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

We crossed in cyberspace !!

New thread … 7 Day …. Pick a carb level… Tuesday 4th October

Thanks for all your encouragement I couldn’t have got through this last week without you all.

Here’s to the next week and good luck to everyone!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Great stuff Verona.

I will be sticking to 40 carbs ๐Ÿ˜ฐ Aiming for a loss of 2 kgs ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡ How about you, and Krysia, what you both aiming for.

Please log in or register to post a reply.