4 Days into the Diet & Some Notes About It

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Weissdorn
    on

Hi Everyone!

I just thought I’d give some people some notes about my experience so far, if you still might be considering it.

I’m female, in my mid 50’s and stilling going through menopause (set in last year). My BMI is almost 40, and my doctor keeps talking about changing my eating habits with the good ol’ count your calories model.

My knee surgeon wants me to have my knees operated on for arthritis, but I’m still “not that far along” yet. My joints only ache only when they swell up.

So I thought that I’d give this diet a try, and here’s what happened so far:

Day 1: BSL = 107 mg/dl (5.9 mmol/l) Weight: 128 kg BP: 163/98 Height: 180 cm Age 54 Sex Female
    Nothing particulary noticeable.

Day 2: Tired most of the day. It was Sunday, so I could sleep a lot. Eating according to plan. The curious thing is feeling so full with so little calories. No cravings – very strange. No feeling of deprevation. No depression.

Day 3: Wow! No more achy knees! For the 1st time in 12 months I could get out bed and not feel pain. In fact the general swelling in my legs, especially ankles has been reduced. Work day, today. Managing work stress on 800 kcal is a challenge. In the afternoon I’m finding it hard to pay attention. Feeling sleepy & dazed. Thinking & response patterns slightly slowed. Didn’t sleep well that night. Sudden back pain. Allergy attack. Night sweats (hot flashes). Legs felt weak and fatigued from walking (like when you don’t get enough Magnesium). I walk a lot commuting. Have to change trains twice and walk to work, and carry an 8 kg daypack, too.

Day 4: BSL = 114 mg/dl (6.3 mmol/l) Weight: 122 kg (!!!!) BP 139/89
    Little worried about the BSL, but my husband says that can be expected when you take cortison and Ibuprofin (he’s a diabetic and asked his doctor about this). The mind fuzziness and the “brain fog” have worn off, but now I have daytime hotflashes (a bit unusual). Still no hunger pains, even though I have to “walk that mile” through the train station selling everything from croissants to hot pretzels. (Encouragement for you people who fear going shopping & consequential hunger pains). I finding that food-prepping will have to suffer some little compromises, because I work 8 hours + 4 hours travel time. Salad without any dressing or processed food (such as canned corn) from cafeteria works for me 3-4 times a week.

Note on the recipes in Dr. Mosely’s book:
    Most of the recipes are “exotic”, and finding those ingredients (things like Goji berries or Halloumi cheese) in northern Continental Europe can be challenging, not to mention expensive. Pomegranate seeds in August? Not to be found anywhere. I substituted with fresh red currents. I’m finding that I will have to do a better net search on recipes for more “available” and seasonal foods. Also the amounts of food (e.g. 1 carrot or 1 zucchini – or even worse 2 inches of cucumber) are impracticle when supermarkets offer only 1 kg bags of carrots. What do you do with the other 14 carrots?

Looking forward to any tips, comments or advice.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Weissdorn – welcome aboard! Sounds like you have made a reasonable start and not suffering too much from carb-withdrawal. Here is the UK, supermarkets offer pre-packed and loose veggies, so we get to buy 1kg or 1 carrot. Are you able to shop in smaller grocers, which offers loose veggies? If so, stock up at the w/e on anything you think you might need through the week. Any left over veggies can be converted to soup, but be careful with carrots, as they are quite high in carbs, as are root veggies in general.

Don’t be frightened to diversify and adapt recipes you know and love. It’s not essential to stick to the recipes in the book, but it is important to keep track of your calories and carbs. However, seems you are sticking to the 800, so I’m sure that won’t be an issue.

Hope you will keep us all posted on your progress. Be sure to use the forum for info and to call out for support when needed – there’s always someone around to offer a virtual hug.

• posted by Weissdorn
    on

Thanks SunnyB!

They used to offer loose veggies, but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to find them, ever since discount markets made packages of produce “fashionable”. The media has complained serveral times that this sort of “bundling” facilitates waste. Because even “normal” eaters never eat all 6 peaches in the package. They usually eat 2-3 and the others spoil.

In Germany the politicians are considering introducing a “resource” tax to motivate producers to cut down on unnecessary packaging. They already have such a tax in Denmark, and it has been well-received.

Until then, it will mean having to go to the open-air market in the city, and stacking my goods at my desk, and taking them on the train home. Because out in the country, where I live, they mostly have discount markets. It’s a strange thing: Farmer’s Markets are only in big cities – not out in the country.

In the meantime, it’s Day 5:

Still had trouble with night sweating last night, but I did sleep better. Still very little knee pain. And I did notice that my clothes are not so tight. I think this diet is better-suited to me than the 5:2, because during the 5:2 diet, it took weeks to get these results – not days, and I found that 5:2 doesn’t work because of menopause.

Still no cravings, no depression, no hunger pains.

And even walking through the Main Train Station in Frankfurt with it’s 30-something food shops with everything from McDonalds to Donuts; Croissants to German baked goods – all that fresh crepes & cinnamon aroma waifing through the air – it really doesn’t bother me – not even a tummy grumble.

It’s not will power. I’m just not really hungry anymore. Losing weight has never this easy.

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

Yeh, I have noticed the same problems in US and Israel as there is in Frankfurt am Main:

LACKING OF FARMERS MARKETS ONE HOUR AWAY FROM THE CITY!

No wonder almost everyone looks like the Kool Aid Guy in most OECD Nations!

Ich wünsche ihnen einen wunderbaren Tag!

Lange leben und gedeihen! (Spock’s message of course!)

Viel Glück!

PrincetonianStud

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Feeling lucky to be in the UK right now, as we have lots of options for buying veggies – supermarket pre-packed and loose, smaller grocers for loose veggies and where we live a bit out in the sticks, there are farm shops too, as well as the occasional farmers market.

Well done on resisting the temptations in the station Weissdorn. Keep doing what you are doing and you will be seeing great results to report soon.

Please log in or register to post a reply.