3.4kg loss!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mazzy
    on

I’m in shock lol! I’ve just weighed in after my first 7 days on the low-carb diet and I’ve lost 3.4kg!

I can honestly say I feel so much better, no bloating, wind or constipation which I’ve suffered from all my adult life, I have more energy and I’m generally feeling more clear-headed. Maybe I was allegic to gluten all along? Only very slight negative is that I’m more thirsty than usual and sometimes my throat actually ‘dries-up’. Anyone else have this very minor irritant?

I’m feeling so positive as this eating plan really suits my taste as I’m not really a lover of chips or mash although I do miss a packet of Walkers plain crisps! I can’t wait for my next weigh-in!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Mazzy, congralulations on a fantastic weight loss.

I believe that the thirst and feeling of your throat drying up is caused by the fact that you are burning fat instead of carbs for fuel. This (and I am quoting from Professor Taylor’s notes to doctors) causes the body to produce ketones which merely reflect the healthy physiological mechanism. It looks as though you are not drinking enough water and even if you feel you are it would be a good idea to increase the amount you drink. The thirst and the dry throat are a well known sign of a body in ketosis – which is why drinking a lot of water is heavily promoted in Dr Mosleys book.

When I get it I up my water consumption and it goes away.

• posted by Mazzy
    on

Hi KrysiaD
    This is interesting as I thought I was drinking more than enough water but I’ll certainly endevour to up my intake from now on. I’m currently 11st 4lb and ideally want/need to get down to 10st as have Arthritis in my spine and carrying the extra weight doesn’t help. Took a half hour brisk walk today which is the first bit of exercise I’ve done since starting. Would love to know what form of exercise other are doing as in need of a little inspiration!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Mazzy
    I do lots of walking (I try to do over 10K steps with at least 30 minutes fast walking). A fit bit really helps. I don’t like anything on my wrist so I have one that you can clip onto clothing. It really helps to motivate me as you can see your stats on a PC or tablet.
    I also do pilates for strength and flexibility.

It is really important to start your exercise programme very very gently and build up your steps and extra activity very slowly, especially because of the arthritis in your spine.

Lucia’s thread (I think it is entitled Hello) is a good one to read. She started almost completely inactive and chronicles her journey to becoming very active.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Nope, it’s called
    My eight weeks

I used to slob out on the settee all the time, eat takeaways family bars of chocolate and Huge bags of crisps all in the one evening.
    I couldn’t walk, I had to take the stairs slowly.

Now, e.g. Tomorrow I get up at 6am cycle for 30 mins, go the gym, do 30 mins on the cross country/rowing/treadmill, then 30 mins in the weights room then 30 mins swim,
    Then cycle home.
    Do 10,000 steps in the day and in the evening yoga and meditation.
    I am still losing weight about 1.5 to 3 pounds a week.

I have a life now.
    And I haven’t mentioned what I eat now.
    Salads, tons of veg, a little protein.
    Loads of water.

I used to say I can’t do it, now I break things down into brick sizes, I can tackle anything now.

So all I can say is…. you have already started by reading and joining the website.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Thank you Lucia for letting Mazzy know the correct title of your thread.
    Before I started the BSD I read the whole of your thread from the beginning and it really helped me get started on the BSD. It taught me just how important it is to increase activity as well as changing how you eat. It was very inspirational.

• posted by Natalie
    on

That is interesting about the ketones drying your throat. I also find that whenever I increase water consumption (even if I’m not eating low carb) I suddenly get a lot thirstier. I usually don’t drink nearly enough, so when my body realises water is available it wants more more more!

• posted by Mazzy
    on

Wow how wonderful and what an inspiration to others!
    I would love to run a 5k but dont think I could now as I get breathless after just a minute…..I seem so unfit now. I cant believe when I was younger I used to love running After the menopause (I’m 58) I just feel so full of aches and joint pains, even though I try to get some exercise by walking the dogs. Thank you for sharing your journey. x

Please log in or register to post a reply.