2017 Lucia

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lucia
    on

So firstly, Happy New Year!
    Can you believe 2017.

So, what shall we do?
    I think we need to break this BSD situation down.

Fitness, how about walking until I get puffed out, pause, catch my breath then walk back.

Eating, how about I write down truthfully everything I eat and notice how much are carbs.

Mentally, how about finding a nice painting or statue on the internet. Put it in front of you, and look at it for ten minutes.
    See what you like about it, what you don’t like about it, is it real. Is it abstract. How would you change it. It doesn’t matter if you understand it. Just look, look at the outline, look at the colour, look at the texture.
    During these ten minutes you have quietly meditated on a piece of beauty.
    You can be smug now. You are now officially an art critic. Ha!

Have a great day one.
    Here we go…..

Love Lucia
    Xxxxx

• posted by HeatherJane
    on

That sounds like a plan!
    Heather

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Lucia! Good to see your funny and personal post! Warm wishes for a wonderful 2017. Julia

• posted by Lucia
    on

Day two.

Fitness, I will continue with my walk.
    But, I will also walk up and down the stairs until I get out of breath, rest repeat one more time.

Eating, now I know how many carbs I am eating, I am cutting them out of my evening meal totally.

Mentally, I must realise I was not given the job to please everyone all the time. I don’t have the job of fixing every problem on the planet. I don’t have to take the responsibility for everything that happens outside my zone.
    I must admit I am only human. I don’t not wear my passion killers on the outside, I do not wear a cape, I cannot fly. I am just on every one else’s level. No more no less.

I am feeling slimmer and fitter already. And happier that I am doing something about my health, in a nice easy, gradual way.

Have a great day two.
    Let’s have another go.

Love Lucia
    Xxxxx

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hello Lucia

I read all your earlier posts and I thought about you when I was walking round the park this morning. Instead of keeping my eyes on the path I lifted my head and enjoyed the view! Thank you.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi angela06,
    I was walking with you.
    wasnt it frosty this morning? Did you notice my red nose? You were too polite to giggle.
    Fancy another walk when you are free? I will wait at your gate and we will go together.
    Should be fun.

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hi Lucia…sounds like a plan.

The weather is not so cold here, around 12 degrees mid morning so maybe we should have the walk round my place…

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi,
    Just between you and me.
    Don’t tell me you have 10 pounds or 10 million pounds to lose.
    No you haven’t.
    You only have to eat healthy. No more no less.

Eh?

Well, if we get rid of the thought or task that we have to lose a mountain of blubber. Just erase that thought totally.

Now, if we say, just for the next hour we eat sensibly, we eat good , healthy, sensible food, and a nice size or amount, if we feel hungry, we don’t eat if we are not hungry. That is all we have to do. No more no less.
    Less us just do the next hour. Just 60 little minutes. If we can throw in a little exercise too it fills up the 60 minutes, well then, it doesn’t feel like a mountain blocking our path.
    But if we just focus on 60 minutes, well, we can all handle that. Can’t we.

After reading this, you now only have 58 minutes to focus on. ๐Ÿค”

Love lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Juno
    on

Hi Lucia,

I love your ‘one day at a time’ attitude. I need to slow my mind down and meet the challenges as they present themselves!!

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi,
    So, the good work we were doing before Christmas has gone a little wonky. Christmas got in the way.
    We were eating so well, losing weight so wonderfully, we were exercising regularly.
    But
    Some big, fat bloke wearing red, and breaking into people’s houses, got in the way. He put the mockers on the good job.
    So
    What are we going to do about it?
    Worry?
    Cry?
    Eat junk to comfort us?
    Or
    Are we going to start right now, this very second, to just eat sensibly, just think what shape we will all be in 12 months time?
    We will all be slimmer, healthier, happier.
    And
    We can beat the living daylights out of anyone wearing black boots walking reindeer poo into the carpet, braking into our homes leaving junk food to put the kibosh on 2017’s hard work.

You with me on this?

Our slogan is… bah humbug.

Just eat healthily and smaller portions. Like the adverts to the posh restaurants that have a lot of white plate and a little bit of good quality food in the middle.

Love Lucia
    Xxx

P.s. I found using paper towels to lift most of the reindeer poo up, then warm soapy water. Dry well.
    ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Lucia
    on

Day three.

Right, it’s about now, I get fed up, bored, hungry, emotional.
    But
    Today, I am going to walk, climb the stairs and…. do one of those posh gym moves called the lunge. Incase you don’t know it, I saw monty python do it in the ministry of funny walks.
    To describe it, you sort of walk but taking giant strides, but with your back leg almost touch the floor with your knee before it comes forward.
    I am going to do this before I go to work and when I come home. I can’t do it in work as there are security cameras everywhere and I could be locked up for less.
    Remember to wear loose clothes as your gusset could explode if you wear tights (pantyhose).
    Google it. The lunge, not exploding tights, silly!

Eating, now that I have acknowledged how many carbs I have eaten, I can slowly reduce them, today I am going to count the calories of my evening meal. I am going to aim for 350. If I go over it, I am not going to stress out. I am going to blame nature for not making veg in correct calorie sizes.

Mentally, I am going to have fun. Why? Because I am having sprouts for tea , and sprouts always make me, well, you know…. back fire. ๐Ÿ˜€ I am going to giggle like a kiddie.
    I shall Blame the dog, the cat, the creeking door anything bar me.

If you haven’t started, why not start today? Many people go back to work today, so start today. You can read the last two days and catch up. No worries.

Don’t forget, listen to your doctors, listen to your body (yes, after the sprouts have died down) you will know how far you can go today. Don’t forget, you can do a little bit more tomorrow.

You going to give it up or shall we…have another go?

Have a great day three.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxxx

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Lucia – already doing the stairs trick when the weather is too horrible for walking/running outside, but hadn’t thought of the Monty Python lunges – good plan. I always know where to come for inspiration!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Brilliant, Lucia. Will be glad to join you on a walk. Quite sunny here today (after weeks – yes, really – of freezing fog), so a lovely day for it. Just don’t walk under the trees. All the ice that formed on them is thawing and it’s like a heavy rainstorm under some of the tall pines.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Day four.

Today, I am going to do something strange , alone on the bed.

I am going to use the support and softness of the bed to have a go at yoga positions.
    Lying on the bed, and lifting one leg up to the ceiling, gently drawing a circle in the sky. It doesn’t matter if it is more of an oval. Or has square corners. It doesn’t matter if it is only a few inches or miles wide.
    It doesn’t matter if you can do only one lap or several.
    Don’t forget to do both sides otherwise you will look like red hell boy.
    Try lying down on your back and lifting your bum off the bed, I think it looks like a table. Two seconds is achievable and something we can build on
    . How about moving your arms from your sides and then over your head, touching the headboard, and gently back.

Eating, today, I am going to have 350 calories for lunch.
    But Lucia, your maths is all wrong.
    350 lunch 350 dinner. That’s 700 and we haven’t mentioned breakfast.
    If you know me, you know I do things gradually. Able to cope and handle it. I can maintain it for longer then.

Mentally, anyway, I have got over laughing about the sprouts.
    Guess what I am ready to do now?
    I am waiting for the first snowdrop then crocus. They are on the way. Go into the garden or field or park. And just stand still. You can hear a noise, a weird one. I straining noise. As the snowdrops are growing and pushing through the soil.
    It may take a few weeks, but it doesn’t matter. I am outside and looking for the first signs of spring.
    Enjoy the freshness.

You going to give it a go?

Have a great day four.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxxx

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

You’ve reminded me to go and check around the side of the house to see if the snowdrops are out – never go there in winter as I don’t need to open the side gate unless wheeling the garden bin out to the front. They are usually out faster than the ones in the countryside as they are in a sheltered patch, and last year I missed them completely because they’d finished before I’d thought to go and look…

• posted by Lucia
    on

Day five

Today, I am going to keep moving.
    A little yoga on the bed, a little bit of climbing up the stairs, a little bit of walking like max wall.

Eating, keeping the Carbs down. Keeping an eye on the calories by eating more veg, salad etc.

Mentally, keeping happy. The moon is half full, not half empty. Is it the planet Jupiter we can see next to the moon? What an incredible thing. I have fantastic eye sight. How far can I see, if I can see this planet?

Have a great day five.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi team,
    Day six,

I was asked about my attitude to bsd. and my health.etc

I got to explain that, you know when there is an exercise video. And there are a row of fit skinny models. Then ther is the big girl at the back doing the modified version. Well, I am she.
    I feel everyone is zooming away with bsd. And I am at the back doing a modified version. A toned down version.

I wish I was in the front line, I would LOVE that.
    But
    I am still thankful, I am on the video at all. That I can still do the modified version.
    Something is better than nothing.

So gang, join me on the back row, let’s do what we can, and
    SMILE For the camera.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Snoop
    on

Thanks for your day six post, Lucia. That was just what I needed to read! Back row is better than nowhere.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Day seven, lucky seven.

Tomorrow ,Saturday,, I am going to have a lie in, under the duvet, in the warmth, curled up , in that gap between awake and asleep. Nice and dozy. Drifting off and not noticing.
    Or
    I am going to get up early and spend more time on me. I can wii in the living room. Blow my gusset doing on bed yoga. Go for a cycle in the cold, getting rosy cheeks. I can visit the gym and push myself a little bit more. I can use my old yellow pages as a step, so when the adverts are on, I can do five minutes of stepping. I can do my lunges and see just how strong my tights are. I can walk to the veg shop and ogle at the handsome chappie there. I can go and spot how many Christmas trees are still up after twelfth night.

Eating, I am going to eat some warm buttered crumpets with the butter dribbling down my chin.
    Or
    I am going to have one damn fine salad of tomatoes, lettuce, radish, spring onions, red onions, carrots, celery, pickles,mustard and cress, watercress, rocket, pine nuts. Mmmmmmm.

Mentally, i am going to imagine pulling the arms and legs off people who ignore me. Who dump work on me and when I need help they turn the other way.
    Or
    I am going to the watercolour painting in my bed room and examine it. And meditate on it. I love rainbow colours. It is a painting of my favourite flowers as a child.
    Red, one of those tulips that three hundred years ago were bought for millions. It has stripes.
    Yellow, a clematis called tangutica, thick waxy petals
    Pink, rose buds, of the princess Elizabeth rose.
    Orange, crocosmia. Hubbys favourite plant , well he had to be in there somewhere.
    Purple, gentians and wild violets, I couldn’t decide.
    Blue bluebells, wild carpets in the woods.
    It has a daisy chain around the bottom.
    Primroses that were always in the hedges
    A tree called genko biloba, a lovely sappy lime green colour.
    All of these remind me of my childhood and make me smile.

I have to make the right decisions all day. Hopefully the right ones.

Have a great day seven.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxxx

• posted by Natalie
    on

We love you Lucia! Yes to making the right choices. Although sleeping in sounds pretty good.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Don’t forget, doing something 70% of the time is better than nothing at all.
    So just give it a go.

Love Lucia xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Oh,
    And there are Easter eggs in the shops already !!!๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ 
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi gang,

You are stranded on an island and you are hungry and find two things to eat BUT you can only pick one.
    A sweet potato and a piece of cheese.

One is a vegetable, we are told all veg is healthy sine we were kids
    One is dairy, full fat. We are told fat is bad since we were kids.

What would you go for and why.

Oh and you can only have one as this is a weird island and you will find various food dotted around it.
    You are not injured.
    There are no canibals so it’s not your last meal.
    Yes you want to be healthy and fit into your grass skirt and two half cocunut outfit.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Natalie
    on

Well I love cheese and hate sweet potato so that is an easy one!

Reminds me of when I went to a diabetes course a few years ago. The instructor gave me a full-fat product and a low-fat version and asked which one I’d choose. I said the full-fat one because it had less fake stuff in it, I’d just eat less of it. She didn’t like that answer at all!

We have Easter Eggs on the shelves here in Australia too. Ridiculous.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Lucia – on cheese or sweet potato, cheese every time. The stronger and stinkier the better.
    Snowdrops not out yet… like the weight loss, they will soon be in evidence. 2 kg down since 1st of month. It was 3, but scales are horrible things! Clothes are a better marker of progress…
    Lucia, you’d be proud – inspired by you to move more. Ditched the car where usually I would use it. And that makes 24.9 miles walked or run this week. Don’t forget the .9!
    Have a good week at work, Lucia.

And Natalie – love the answer to the diabetic instructor!

Julia

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi Lucia
    I always love your blogs but these are the best ever!
    I have a really stupid sense of humour and the thought of exploding gussets has me giggling like loon
    This is fine in the house, making the bed, taking the dog for a walk etc but not so good in a queue at the supermarket till when people start edging away.!

I managed to control myself until i got to the car where I sat and laughed till I cried.
    Some one did knock on the window and ask if I was OK
    I have not laughed so much for ages, so thank you for making a great day.
    I have been circling around the blogs about to start BSD again after a winter cab fest that has undone all the earlier work but as you say one day at a time and today is day one for me.
    So I will keep you posted and keep us all inspired

Mad mare

• posted by Lucia
    on

So I think it is easier to just have protein and veg for the main meal.
    I think lunch can be home made soup or salad or a pice of fruit if you are stuck but watch the sugar and if bananas watch the carbs and the minions.
    I found that I couldn’t mentally handle breakfast without weetabix or cornflakes, it’s so easy to slop a decent amount of milk on cornflakes shook out of the box. Easy peesy.

Now what if you just have to have cereal for breakfast?
    I say it’s okay. Don’t sweat the small stuff. You have two meals sorted.
    I third one will follow as it is a smaller meal.
    Try skipping it altogether and come back to it, with say yoghurt and fruit.

You will get the hang of it.

Inch by inch.

How is everyone doing?

Love
    Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

“I’m so full, I’m never eating again”
    “Mince pie?”
    “Yes”

I am getting the tee shirt

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Promised myself to loose 2 stone before year end.
    Only 3 to go.

Love Lucia
    Xxxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Nearly time to put the sprouts on for next Christmas
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

People who turn their trolleys sideways across the whole aisle every time they decide to look at something.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Saying “happy new year” on…
    1-5 Jan = Friendly
    6-12 Jan = Fine
    13-21 Jan = Bit odd
    22-31 Jan = Bit annoying
    Feb onwards = Highly alarming

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

Just some random things for you.

• posted by Angela06
    on

I did the mince pie thing yesterday, Lucia.

Please send the t shirt!

Good luck. Angela

PS it’s bad luck here to wish someone happy new year after January!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Brilliant posts, Lucia.

Also have 3 stone to lose this year. What’s that now, 355 one days at a time? Should be doable.

On the breakfast thing, cereal doesn’t cut it for me. I’ve taken to skipping breakfast but having a cup of miso broth about 11.30 when I start to feel peckish. Because it’s so savoury, somehow I feel like I’ve had a decent meal.

As for the mince pies, I still have puff pastry and some mincemeat in the fridge. The mincemeat should reach the end of its “eat x days after opening” period soon. Then I’ll chuck it out. Should do it now, but there’s so little in the fridge these days that if I remove anything else, there will be a huge black hole that will force me to go shopping so it can suck something else in.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Snoop – I am with you on the miso. Love the stuff.
    And loathe the trolleys across the aisles in the supermarket, Lucia. But I find it happens mostly if I am silly enough to go in just before Christmas – folk seem to go crazy in their efforts to bag the last lot of Brussels sprouts. Personally speaking, they are welcome to them. I prefer cabbage – just as explosive as the sprouts but tastes nicer!
    Julia

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Gang,
    Now it’s around this time that I can find other things to do instead of exercise.
    Snow is forecast tomorrow.
    I work long hours at a desk, hardly moving.
    But,
    When I see I have lost one full pound of blubber in one day, I feel on top of the world.
    Find something that weighs one pound.
    Get the scales out an pd weigh a couple of tins, or the soap powder, anything.
    Now hold it in you hands and stretch out your arms in front of you, in seconds , it gets heavier and heavier. Wow, it weighs a ton. Glad I can drop my arms.
    Now you know how your body feels when you lose one full pound.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Why do I keep giving you ideas to do the bs diet only by half?
    Well I found it difficult to change from eating tons of junk,
    To 800 calories.
    So I wrote a food diary first.
    Then I changed from junk food to normal food.
    Then counted my calories
    I change just one meal a day
    Then counted the carbs.

Then I was on the bs diet.

So if the task seems too hard, too much, don’t look at it as a wall.
    Just focus one one little brick.

You and I will get there.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Did anyone get any exercise equipment for Christmas?

I didn’t.

But I still have my hoola hoop from the summer, now where is it….

Happy twisting

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

So I went to the supermarket last night.
    Two trolleys parked across the aisle.
    Their owners had one hand on them as they grazed.

So I shouted… RAMMiNG SPEED !!!! and took off, hubby hid in the next aisle.
    The trolleys soon parted!

Have a clear path day.

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Snoop
    on

Wish I had the nerve to do that!

• posted by K8sgettingthin
    on

Oh yes, the trolleys.
    I once knew someone who. when his path was blocked by an abandoned trolley in the middle of an aisle (they’d probably wandered off to find something they’d forgotten to pick up) would add an item for them before moving the offending trolley. If they were obviously vegetarian, it might be a leg of lamb. If they had dog food in there, he would add cat litter. I made myself scarce and eventually refused to shop with him.
    Well done again with your inspiring contributions Lucia. Do you think you have an alternative career possibility? You are so motivating!
    Kate

• posted by Lara
    on

“Promised myself to loose 2 stone before year end. Only 3 to go.” – I’m still giggling at that 2 days later – thanks for the smiles ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Planning a trip to Sainsbury’s in my lunch break, no trolley ramming though, I promise! These posts keep me going… another kilo down, yippee! I like the idea of a clear path day… it’s a great way of visualising this journey. I will choose to see any obstacles that come up as ones to be cleared out the way, rather than given in to.
    Julia

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

K8sgettingthin,

We used to do that many years ago as students. The low point was three trolleys formed into a barricade across the dairy aisle by a group of nuns, who had disappeared off somewhere, leaving no access to the milk. I believe a packet of condoms may have been added to one of the offending trolleys.

I await the special circle of purgatory reserved for such actions.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Levels of tiredness:
    Yeah not bad
    I’ll be fine in a bit
    Tired by okay
    Bit sleepy actually
    Exhausted
    Shagged
    Shattered
    Knackered
    Dead

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

9pm: “I’m so tired”
    10pm: “Might go to bed in a bit”
    11pm: “Right, I’m off, night night”
    11.05pm-3am: Twitter

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

So gang,
    How are things?
    Well?
    I am talking to you, yes you. I know you have been reading my blog and laughing at me and thinking I am nuts.
    Just make sure I am a macadamia nut. Less carbs less cold,
    And not cashew, loads of carbs and loads of cals.

So you going to tell me how’s it going?
    You want to do so much, but you can only deal with one minute at a time. I know.

You should only now be getting the hang of things, learning to do it , taking baby steps.
    But
    Have you noticed, the baby steps are taking you forwards and not backwards?

Keep going, keep positive.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

Love macadamia Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by K8sgettingthin
    on

Today I went in search of Chickpea flour. Can’t get it in the local small town.

Now that I’m officially old and the owner of a brand new bus pass, I decided to have an adventure on the bus into the next biggest town. I did have an adventure….. Should have been home again by 11.30 but it all went horribly wrong and I didn’t get home until 2 pm. Think my bone marrow was frozen and I’m never cold due to the blubber I carry around with me. Was also concerned about the 3 litres of water we need to swallow and had 3/4 litre before leaving which thankfully stayed with me until my return to base – whew! Have since guzzled a further 3/4 litre and hoping to make it through the rest before day end.

Happily I made some superfood soup yesterday. Won’t say here what it looks like and try not to have those thoughts when eating it, but it is delicious. Will have chickpea flour wraps tonight with spicy chicken and salad. Not sure when I’m going to fit the vital coffee in today at this rate….. Otherwise my first week is going ok, but the scales will tell all on Saturday.
    Kate

• posted by Lucia
    on

So
    What happens if you , say, have a bag of chocolate, you know the family bags for a pound of revels or cadburys button or minstrels. And you eat the bag.
    The day just goes weird after that. Then you step in the scales and gain one and a half pounds.

Now , let’s just take a step back and loom at the situation.
    We have been doing this for nearly two weeks.
    We have had a wobble or stumble.
    Should we give up and go down hill.
    Or should we acknowledge the wobble and get back into the programme?
    I know what I always used to do, I would say I have fallen off the wagon.
    But actually, I have just caught my toe and stumbled.
    I don’t have to pick my self up off the floor.
    Now I just have to steady my wobble and watch out carefully for the next few days that I didn’t catch my toe again.

It is SO EASY to give up.

But if you can just catch yourself, and carry on the plan, it would get you to your goals of being of the medication and into size 12 or just less blubber.

You tell me one person who hasn’t had a wobble and I will show you a gazillion who have.

Keep going, keep enjoying .

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

All I can say is…..
    Friday the 13th.
    Now I know why there is a horror movie with this name.
    1. The weather
    2. My boss went all T. rex on me
    3. Felt poorly, that tummy bug
    4. Got soaked
    5. Went brain dead with a spreadsheet I do every month for years
    6. Smelt chocolate then I went all david bannister.
    7. My satsuma had pips
    8. My lobster tail was really a big prawn.
    9. Laundry just looking at me
    10 hubby had the daftest movie on, all zombies. Why oh why oh why, do they shoot zombies, they will always get back up.
    And why do the good guys have no sleeves on their tops yet they are overdressed with head bands, sun glasses, walkie talkies , cargo pants, boots, utility belts, jackets, scarves,…. but no sleeves.
    11. Why oh why do they run out of bullets on the last zombie?

How’s your day going?
    Xxxx

Love Lucia

Please log in or register to post a reply.