1st October Starters Support Group

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by PatC
    on

Morning everyone, this feels like the Eurovision Song Contest, Australia calling with my first weeks results –
    Mixed bag really I have gone down 4.8 lbs, my measurements by bust – 1/2 ” ‘ waist – 1″ hips stayed the same- As I have said before I don’t have a huge amount of weight to lose I would like to get down to 133 lbs (and I will), after reading some of the huge weight loss results after one week I had hoped there would be similar results for me, but to be honest I have been on one diet or another for the last 48 years so my poor old body is probably thinking ‘bring it on’ – but this is the first time I have joined a group online, posted on a forum, and read every single entry for 1 October starters, – so even though I had hoped for more off it’s the biggest weight loss I have shown for years so woo hoo! So thank you Emily and thank you to everyone of you lovely people who belong to 1 October starters, good luck everyone, week 2 beckons!

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Good morning everyone. Just did my daily weigh-in and I lost a whopping 700g (1.5 lbs) overnight! That’s by far my biggest single loss so far, taking me to 2.1kg (almost 5 lbs) since I started on the 2nd. So I guess I have to stop claiming that my PCOS stops me losing weight now, lol. I’m so pleased I gave this a go: I was at my all-time highest weight just a week ago, and at a real low. One week later and my self-confidence is on the up and, despite a 30-33kg (70 lbs or five stone) target weight loss which feels overwhelming at times, I’m starting to believe I can do this. I’m managing to eat out frequently and not crack either! I hope everyone else is feeling equally as motivated.

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

@patc: Good morning Australia, this is the United Arab Emirates calling. I’m smiling at your comment: I have lost exactly the same weight as you and am over here victory dancing all over the room. Almost 5 lbs is not to be sniffed at – quite the opposite. This is a marathon, not a sprint – especially if you have been grappling with your weight for five decades. Yes, we all hope to be one of those ‘I lost 15 lbs in the first 48 hours’ stories (including me) but 5 lbs is no small achievement. Like you, it is the first weight I have lost, not gained, in many years. So I am hanging out the bunting and throwing myself a tiny party. I do hope you are too.

• posted by PatC
    on

Hi United Arab Emirates, Carb_Addict, loved your post, putting bunting up as we speak and a victory dance on my way to putting kettle on! It will be very interesting to see what happens next week, are you similar age group and weight, or just been on a diet forever, you are so totally right nearly 5lbs is great stuff? Enjoy your day x

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

@patc: Good to hear that! I’m a little younger (at age 41) and I’d imagine a LOT heavier (although I have the same goal weight as you too ironically). I’m slap-bang in the middle of the obese category for my height in fact (it hurts to write that btw). Growing up with a weight-obsessed, overweight mother who lived on grapefruit, I do not remember a time when I did not feel ‘fat’ (even if I technically wasn’t). I have steadily put on weight since my late teens but things have gotten out of control in the last decade in particular. On the outside I’m vivacious, strong and have a successful career in a so-called glamorous industry. On the inside I’m an emotional eater who has suffered a fair bit of ill health and subsequent chronic pain, and who has increasingly gorged on carbs in large quantities in secret in an attempt to stifle the hard days. I can now see that this has stifled nothing and actually made the situation far worse. I have started to find excuses not to even leave my home because I feel so huge and ashamed. I can’t fit into 99%of my clothes anymore. I’m being very honest and vulnerable about this stuff because I desperately want to succeed this time and I believe that a large part of my weight loss (and ability to keep it off thereafter) will be facing up to why I got so big in the first place and being kinder to myself. For me the 800 kcals is almost the easy part: the hardest bit is believing that I can do this and that things can be different. That I can be different. Right now, every day is a victory over what has become the status quo. So there you go, soul bared to the world, and with that I am off to put the kettle on! Enjoy your day too x

• posted by PatC
    on

Sorry carb addict just reread your post and weights etc despite asking in previous mail, !!! Enjoy the bunting and if we do another 5lbs next week woo hoo again, it’s good feeling good about yourself isn’t it?

• posted by shalimar
    on

One day at a time Carb_Addict …. every meal, every day is an opportunity for a new start.

I’ve been very over weight for a long time …. sometimes i have that feeling of being ashamed of my weight when i’m out of the house, or looking in the mirror. Sometimes i avoid social situations.

I’m retired and i have gray hair now …… maybe it’s 67 years under my belt …. but those ashamed times are less … i’ve gotten to the point where I just don’t care about it.

I am doing the best i can …. we ALL are. And now with BSD i am doing what i can about it … and no, i don’t often hit the 800 calorie mark …..BUT …. it takes time and some trial and error … it WILL happen.

I actually have an interim goal of 199 pounds by Dec. 10 …… but i don’t plan on reaching my ultimate goal until next summer. I haven’t set a date …. but i want my body and spirit to have time to adjust to this. One step at a time, one day at a time.

It’s a process ….. i have my eye on my goal … which is to be healthy enough to enJOY my life … my life … what i want for myself … not for anyone else.

Another nice thing about being 67 and retired …. i know i don’t have many days, weeks, years to go …. i intend to enJOY every day along the way to my goals …. and after my goals.

I saw an acqaintance on the bus today … and she again said how cheerful i was … yes i am obese right now … and sick right now … but i count my other blessings … i was out in the fresh air, had some really nice wontons for lunch, and i was on my way to the library to pick up some books on mindfulness … what was there to be miserable about.

p.s. One of the books was with the The mind’s own physician : a scientific dialogue with the Dalai Lama on the healing power of meditation / edited by Jon Kabat-Zinn and Richard J. Davidson with Zara Houshmand.

I do respect the Dalai Lama especially since i read that when asked … what one piece of advice he would give to people, a golden rule if you like, the Dalai Lama said BE KIND.

So ….. BE KIND to yourself, to your spirit, to your body …. and then Be Kind to others.

• posted by gyllyb
    on

How wonderfully uplifting and inspiring to read everyone’s post this morning …. you are all so supportive and full of love for each other it’s heartwarming and I’m proud to be on this journey with you all.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Saturday 8th October & our weigh in after 5 days doing this having started the BSDiet last Monday.
    My husband has lost 6lbs & 1% visceral fat & I have lost 5lbs & 1% visceral fat! So it will be interesting how much we manage to lose in the next seven days. I don’t know how accurate our weight scales are in measuring visceral fat but it shows a downward trend.
    I hope everyone’s weigh ins go well!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Shalimar what a lovely thought to just be kind & also to just be comfortable with ourselves whatever size we are😀😀
    There is not enough kindness in the world at the moment & the news is full of strife, hate & people killing each other. It looks like we need more good things in the news like the whale calf that pushed its stranded mother off the sand bank so they could both swim free & out to sea.
    We are all on the path to helping ourselves & this a positive thing that should make us all feel proud of ourselves. So let us all pat ourselves on our backs for the support we are giving each other here & the effort we are all putting into following this new way of eating!

• posted by Dona Rosa
    on

Morning all. First official weigh in after seven days shows a 3 kg loss which is amazing considering I have enjoyed the food so much. Probably helps that I can eat salad until it come out of my ears! 2″ off waist. Did not measure rest of body so cannot really say if I have lost anything there but noticeably having to fasten new bra on shortest set of hooks and eyes so imagine something might have gone and also I did notice some the ‘lovely’ muffin effect at back of bra, appears to have gone. The forum is very helpful and I think works to keep us all motivated. More energy definitely and a clearer brain. Hoping that the next seven days go just as well for me and everyone else. Onwards and downwards. Have a great weekend everyone.

• posted by Lisa67
    on

Morning all 🙂
    End of first week weigh in. WOW I am amazed at what this new way of eating has done for me in just one week. 4.5kg 10lbs in old money lost, my fasting blood sugars down from 17.3 to 9.9 and I have stopped my 2 evening gliclazide and 1 1/2 inches off my waist. I have thoroughly enjoyed this first week and have found the meals very appetising. I have not missed my Carbs at all considering they were my staple diet. All meals planned and shopped for next week I am finding the planning is the key for me, if I know what I am eating for the day I don’t fall off the wagon. Off to see my GP on Tuesday for a meds review, as I have been avoiding him since the discussion for me to commence on insulin.
    Well done to everyone on the losses this week onwards and downwards.

• posted by Disney Nut
    on

Good Morning, my husband and I have started on Tuesday (4th) but I have only just found you guys. May I still join?
    I am aiming to ultimately shed 30kg but this is going to take time. So for the time being, I am focussing on 8 weeks, which will take me to the beginning of our holidays before Christmas. The next goal is to maintain the weight during the holiday and over the festive period.
    Reading all your posts is so encouraging. I sneaked a little trip to the scales in this morning and am down by 3kg, so that is 10% of my goal….hugely motivated 🙂

• posted by BigWendy
    on

Congratulations Carb-addict, you are doing very well! I have lost 7lbs over the last week, and I’m very happy with that, even though I know the weight loss will slow down in week 2. 1 week down…7 to go!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Congrations everyone!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 Hope you all have wonderful day!!

• posted by HealthyH
    on

Morning all,

congratulations to everyone on their weight loss and efforts.It is very inspirational to hear about the progress. It seems this diet may just work :-). It is going to be great to make this journey with your all and face the same challenges, but be able to support one another too.

So what have I learnt from week one

– Weightloss can be easy if you plan, prepare and stick to it (3kg for me as of yesterday – day 7 final weigh in tomorrow)
    – I get hungry before bed, so save some calories for a glass of milk last thing
    – You dont have to hit exactly 800cals to get results, One day I was around the 1000 cal mark, but I burnt 200+ calories doing Hiit training on that day so may of skewed the results some.
    – Skipping Breakfast seems to make the day easier for me as my other two meals are more substantial and filling
    – Skipping Breakfast is not good on a day when you do Hiit in the morning .
    – You can train quite intensely on minimal calories (15 mile bike ride this morning in a fasted state and my performance was not effected for the most part, although I was very hungry afterwards)
    – Support counts for alot and just coming online to see how others in this group are doing can provide a pickme if I am flagging.
    – Water, peppermint tea or a walk are great for staving off appetite when I feel really hungry.
    – Mindful meditation is great compliment to this plan

In conclusion, whilst this week has been a little tough at times, I feel fantastic. I have more energy than I expected, Feel mentally positive (something I have not felt in a while) and ready for week two. Even my mother and wife have started asking questions about the diet after seeing my first weeks results on the scale, so I hope they can join me on this journey soon.

Keep positive all, keep focused and reap the benefits.
    Good luck with week 2 all
    H

• posted by shalimar
    on

Good plan HealthyH …. way to work out some adjustments.

• posted by Meeshe42
    on

Well done everybody so far! It is great that everyone is so supportive of each other.

I can honestly say I feel so much better without carbs….mainly clear headed and feeling less bloated!

It does take a fair amount of preparation but actually in the long run spending less money as eating less!

I had noticed my water intake had reduced and starting feeling a little heady so soon increased it again.

One thing I have realised is that now i’m using a small plate, eating slowly and having full fat rich foods in small amounts are very satisfying and fulfilling.

Happy Weekend everyone x

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Weigh day for me and I have lost 7lbs……..rock on!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Very well done Fairyface what a great weight loss!

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi Wendy

How do you work out how much visceral fat you have lost?

ZIggy

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Shalimar….what a positive outlook you have. I think this forum needs a like button like Facebook and the ability to just reply to one person. I do hope you remain positive and happy. Best wishes

• posted by shalimar
    on

Thanks Fairyface …. and many congrats on your weight loss!! HUGS!

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Thank you shalimar.x

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Wendy 1947 Thank you I am so pleased. I really feel as though this is going to work. My weight has stopped me from doing so much socially over the years but thats about to end. Been out today and seen a lot of people who I have not seen for a while. They will not have noticed I have lost weight but they will next time I see most of them (end of November) 😉
    Whilst I am not diabetic or pre diabetic as far as I know. I was/am worried about the visceral fat around my organs. This has so motivated me to sort myself out. It has made it easier my husband is following the diet and is helping with the planning and shopping. I am so lucky to be so well supported. I won’t say I have lost the desire for chocolate, bread pasta etc. But its not as strong as it was.
    Just makes me realise what bad habits we got into. Pudding and then cup of tea and a couple of biscuits after lunch and dinner, and then a bar of chocolate or cake for supper. This is making me cringe just typing this out. Anyway congratulations to everyone who has lost weight this week. So looking forward to getting on the scales next Saturday. Although we are going away for a few days so might have to pack the scales and take them with us:-)

• posted by GreenTea
    on

Good evening all (good morning to our southern-hemisphere friends),

Beginning of week 2 and I’m still positive. I’m expecting that this week’s weight loss might not be as productive as week 1 for me from the various forum posts and the book. I weighed myself this morning andno change from yesterday – did not despair tho :-P. Why? Because I put on a T-shirt I had in the wardrobe which used to make me look 4 months pregnant, and now it doesn’t as my belly is a whole lot less bloated than 8 days ago and my bra fitted better.

Sometimes it’s the little things that count – having more energy; sleeping well; other people noticing slight changes in you; you noticing slight changes in yourself; not having to pee every hour during the night! All those are positives too.

Like Fairyface – I too liked having a cuppa and some biscuits or ‘something sweet’ whenever the urge hit and all that mounted up to being 92kgs before October. Now I’m under the dreaded 200lbs, the BSD and this forum keeps me motivated.

Keep counting and carry on.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello Ziggy
    We have Tanita weight scales that have the option of measuring visceral fat, water levels in the body as well as weight. There are different buttons to press to show this after weighing. I think it’s measured by a pulse sent from the pads you stand on that measures different levels of resistance in the body.
    I think lots of scales have these options!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

We treated ourselves to a pudding today with the rhubarb & ginger recipe served with some Creme fraiche & it was delicious so highly recommended. It is an unusual recipe with coconut oil & some ginger in syrup but very good!

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Good afternoon all!

Had a horrible day yesterday. I think I caught the stomach virus that had been going around work. I ended up leaving work and coming home to bed!

I still kept track of the two Powerades I drank and I was able to eat some chicken broth and a couple of slices of rye bread in the evening. I was under 800, but my carbs were around 150, boy did by BS show it! Over 10 when I went to bed! I did manage to bring it into the normal range with insulin over night though.

I’m feeling 100% better today 👍🏻 And have been reading through all of your posts and have to say how inspired I am, not only with the awesome numbers you all are posting, but with the openness with your struggles and journey. You are amazing. Don’t let anyone tell you different!

I didn’t eat today until about 1130am, I had to go to my sister’s to feed and water her five cats. She is such a cat lady, lol. She’s off judging a fitness/body building competition, you could say we are polar opposites. Then went grocery shopping for the week. So the chicken is marinating (lime juice, 5 spice), salad fixings are washed and ready. Green peppers are ready to be cut up for the hummus and I have zucchini ready for dinner tomorrow.

Did I mention that it’s Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend? Luckily my sister is working and my Dad hates turkey, so it’s a non-event at my house (except for the thankfulness).

I am going out to a birthday dinner with some friends tonight at my favourite sports bar, so it will be a test of my willpower. I know I can do it though as I’ve pre-planned. I also weigh in tomorrow AM and want a great result.

TL:DR – you guys are awesome and inspiring, thanks for letting me ramble

Until tomorrow !

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

Hello everyone week one finished hurrah I lost 6.5 lbs and 2 inches of my waist. Never ever had this result on Sw or ww. Well done everyone for all your loses. I have had the Mediterranean lunch a couple of times this week really filling when you need a quick lunch for work. Just cooked the spag boul ready for tomorrow going to try the spirallized courgette with it. I Tried quite a few green teas this week favourite so far is the blueberry and raspberry have this when I feel hungry. No exercise came down with a chest infection taking antibiotics and steroids determined not to let the steroids put me off track. Going to Egpyt in November for week holiday this is keeping me really focus would love to be a stone lighter but will take whatever I have managed. Good luck everyone for the next week will only post once or twice a week but love reading all the posts. Get some really good tips and support. Oh one last thing brought the calories and carbs book really helps me. Sorry for rambling on 🙂

• posted by Hannanobananas
    on

I just want to say well done to everyone, it’s very inspirational to read, and to know how others are doing.
    I also started on 1st Oct so weighed in today and lost 5lb, so pretty chuffed 🙂
    I have struggled to meet calorie goal so will continue to work on this, keep doing what you are doing everyone 🙂

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Hello
    Well done everyone. Great results in general.
    I won’t have my results until Wednesday as I didn’t weigh myself on Oct.1st.
    However I jumped on the scales this morning and my weight hadn’t changed.
    Despite feeling a little bit disappointed initially I am going to soldier on. I have felt great this week. I am sure that the weight will eventually got so I must just be patient.
    I have started every morning drinking a glass of tepid water with the juice of half a lemon. It really wakes me up.
    Anyway, congratulations to everyone on your weight loss and if like me you haven’t lost anothing, China y por. Keep calm and think thin.

Cheers

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Sorry about the mistakes.

Predictive writing is awful.

• posted by PatC
    on

Well done everyone, even if it’s a pound gone, or for some lots of pounds,it’s the beginning of an amazing eight week journey with a lot of like minded friends. Carb_Addict I nearly cried when I read your post, I was like your mum and did every diet known to man, but fortunately my daughters ignored my dieting and ate healthily, which I have not done for 48 years! It IS different this time – you have a lot of people travelling with you, and it’s your time for making the inside and outside of you match and to feel really good about yourself, you lost five pounds this week, imagine that again for next weigh day – woo hoo and more bunting!!!!

This doesn’t feel like a diet, the food is good and filling, I look forward to my meals without worry I am eating the wrong things, and I hope that the weight will go down slowly and surely – now I am going to skip to the kitchen and have a poached egg and some avocado, tonight veg curry and cauliflower rice, with some strawberries to follow, still finding it hard to drink enough water, but actually slept well for the first time in eight days, so that’s good. Stay strong everyone.

• posted by Sierravalley
    on

Great job everyone!

Week one down and I’m ecstatic. Down 13#s in one week, but no loss this morning. That’s ok. I know most of it was water weight and boy can my joints feel it. When I look at the amount of calories of things that I would mindlessly eat, I’m surprised that I don’t weigh 300 pounds. I’m bracing myself for zero loss this week so I won’t get discouraged and cheat. That’s usually what happens.

Didn’t do measurements last week so I can only go by my clothes. Able to wear a few pairs of pants I couldn’t wear 2 weeks ago.

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Good morning all from the United Arab Emirates. Official week one weigh in brings me to 2.2kg or 4.9 lbs loss. (Only 100g lost overnight but that’s ok.) Definitely feeling ‘skinnier’ and energy levels much higher. Expecting a slow-down too this week but intend to bulldoze my way through it. I also have a hankering to hit the gym which I intend to act on this week. Mind you, I have also woken up with a desire to eat a large margarita pizza (or two…) for breakfast!!!

I also want to say thank you for your kind words. I’m finding this group a wonderful source of support as I face up to taking back control of my health. It’s so good to know others are travelling the same path and I am grateful for you all. Have a good day everybody!

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

@ Happygirl: sorry to hear that the scales have not moved yet. I had the same experience when I started on the regular BSD, which is why I amped it up to the 800 kcal. Assuming that you are weighing, tracking etc and sticking to 800 kcal day and up to 50g carbs, there is NO WAY the scales will not start moving at some point. (I am not using the book recipes so am relying on MyFitnessPal to track for me.) Don’t forget that at certain times of the month we girls retain water even if we are losing fat, and that some bodies go into shock at the beginning and cling on on to everything. The only way the scales will not move if you are sticking to the programme is if you have an underlying medical issue such as an underachieve thyroid. So keep pushing forward, see what Wednesday brings and take it from there ok? (I’d say that if you stick to the programme religiously for three to four weeks and the scales have not budged an ounce then is the time to go see a doctor – but give it a substantial go first.) Having been there myself I know it’s super-frustrating, but it WILL happen. Good luck!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello Deb
    Hope you are feeling better today! You sound very well organised with your forward planning. I’m a bit more haphazard with having done a large shop last week of many vegetables & most things on the list in the recipe book. Each day I tend to poke around in the fridge to see what I can put together.
    I was most interested to read that Canada has a Thanksgiving Day because I ignorantly thought only the USA had that.
    I hope you enjoyed your birthday dinner Happy 🎉 🎁💐

• posted by Dona Rosa
    on

Took a risk and had a naked look in mirror today. Now there is something obviously happening. I appear to have lost some tyre under my boobs, the waist is slowly appearing and the lower portions look flatter. Took a risk and tried on a skirt that I bought off Ebay and then got depressed when there was a 3″ gap to fasten zip but I could fasten it now but will not risk wearing it yet until it is a bit looser on hips. Very impressed. Oh and on a lighter note, the knickers are not rolling down any more. Grated lots of carrot, fennel, red and white cabbage to go in salads this week. Chicken ready to go in oven – well done to everyone. Forca! as we say in Portugal.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Very brave Dona Rosa & how encouraging😀
    I am pear shaped carrying most of my weight on stomach & thighs & my stomach is slowly going down & my thighs less dense & softer ( rather difficult to describe ) but I think fat is being removed?
    It’s day seven for us so out of interest I will weigh tomorrow to see what my true weeks weight loss is having weighed yesterday after only five days. I am skipping breakfast today to save some calories for another serving of ginger rhubarb with some natural yoghurt for pudding after dinner tonight. I must buy some more rhubarb to make more.
    My husband who is out for the day took a packed lunch of broccoli soup & mozzarella cheese with lettuce, peppers, celery & tomatoes with a heaped spoon of pesto on it for more flavour. He also has a small packet of sunflower & pumpkin seeds to nibble if needed. I’m planning the brunch recipe of bacon, mushrooms & broccoli for supper. I have also ordered the Diabetes UK booklet on carbs to try to better monitor our total carb intake. We seem ok on daily calories but I’m a bit clueless on the carb levels of some vegetables!

• posted by Frog
    on

where do you get your rhubarb Wendy? Ate lots of it when I started BSD, but haven’t seen any in ages as its out of season

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

Wendy1947 & Dona Rosa
    Loved reading your posts like you Dona Rosa my knickers are not rolling down so much lol Wendy1947 I brought carbs and calories counter brilliant book wouldn’t be without it now I too am pear shaped so hopefully will start to see results where needed but happy with just having a weight lose. I must try the ginger rhubarb sounds really nice. Have a good day everyone x

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Trying to sort out how to store all the nuts seeds etc?
    We found Tesco sell cheap kilner type storage jars that are Italian called Fido, they also sell gram flour the only local shop I could find near me! Surprisingly I couldn’t find any in Sainsbury’s or Waitrose although they are shown for online shopping.
    My husband also searched for stick on label holders to be able to write ingredients & use by dates on & found some in Staples.
    I am slowly changing my former cereals cupboard into one only containing porridge oats, oat milk & all the seeds nuts & other dry ingredients from the recommended lists in the BSDiet recipe book.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello Frog
    I found some in Tesco when searching for gram flour.

• posted by Frog
    on

thanks Wendy – I will keep looking then!
    The only Tesco near me is a tiny one, when I find some I will buy tons and freeze it!
    I love it, and was amazed at how low carb it is

• posted by ButterflyMoves
    on

Wow you guys have posted awesome results after just 1 week! Just amazed by the almost 10lbs GreenTea lost, similar for Lisa67, Suluro 11lbs and Sierravalley 13lbs-??!!! Of course any loss would feel amazing and I truly feel for you Happygirl must be so frustrating to not be getting early results. Bet it will happen soon, it’s all a matter of chemistry!

I was really moved by you sharing such a vulnerable part of your story, Carb_Addict. I, too, had a mother who was always dieting which resulted in me always feeling fat. I remember my dad telling me as a teenager “you might actually be pretty if you weren’t so fat”. I also agree with Shalimar that we should be kind to ourselves NOW, not wait for some ideal, thinner time.

Frog- hope you find a good source of rhubarb. I grow my own, it grows really easily here.

It’s so good to be home! I can’t wait to plan the weeks meals and shop for some new flavours. I got a whole bunch of clothes that I love that are too tight and hung them where I can see them every day. I will look at them when I’m tempted to binge!

Observations on Day 4
    -it is often seeing food or smelling food that makes me feel hungry, if I stay away from food I don’t really think about it
    -feeling sensitive to cold but headaches are gone, maybe because I’ve upped water and sodium.
    -feeling really positive and resolved like never before
    -need to allow this to be the most important thing in my life for now, need the energy for my willpower. Am doing this to feel well and happy
    -I read somewhere that a few walnuts 15min before a meal can trigger satiety signals in the brain, and it seems to be working. I don’t feel as ravenous and can eat slower.
    -planning ahead is everything. I track everything I’m going to eat on MyFitnessPal in the morning so I have my day worked out and am a lot less likely to unknowingly go over my limits
    -Sugar free gum is my emergency food when I want to give in and trash all my work
    -struggling with discipline about tracking small things like extra vegetables, artificially sweetened beverages and small snacks. Just trying to be easy on myself and vow to do better the next day.

Things to do this week:
    -make a vision board on the fridge door out of photos and quotes
    -plan my exercise ahead of time

Question:
    Have I missed the part of the book that say carbs have to be less than 20g per day? Someone said less than 50g is okay?

Anyone want to be friends on MyFitnessPal? My username is LizFrencham

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    there isn’t a specified level of the carbs in the book, many here aim for 30, some 50, others just generally aim to eat low carb.
    There are several threads on it – if you put “max carb” in the search box (top right hand corner of the web page) you’ll find existing conversations around it.

• posted by ButterflyMoves
    on

Thanks Frog, that’s helpful! Looks like I’m averaging between 30-40 most days so far, so that must be ok!

• posted by bigsaltydog
    on

Hi Emily,
    I started on the 28th September so I am nearly in your group.
    So far so good, I am averaging a1lb per day loss and feeling better for it.
    I say to my friends that I look forward to them seeing less of me, more often.
    I am learning about the process with every day that goes by.
    Big lesson so far – maintaining a positive mood is the key. If I feel low it becomes a chore not to nibble on extras.
    Good luck and here’s to the future

• posted by Frog
    on

yes, I’m mostly in the “eat with low carb principles & see what falls out” group
    I generally have a rough idea of what I’ll be eating thru the day, but can’t bear too much forward planning

Please log in or register to post a reply.