1st October Starters Support Group

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Fairyface

Are you on Redbull????
    When you have finished walking New Zealand maybe you could walk up and visit me in Spain!!!

But in all seriousness – Well done

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Happygirl……….forgot to set my app before I went out for my walks. But I have started to keep a record of my steps each day! Not many, I admit as I am totally unfit. But do you know what? I enjoyed the sunshine and frost today. Heard a pheasant in the fields and watched a robin chirping away. Housework not done but never mind.

We have a motorhome and are talking about going down to Spain in the future. New grandchild due soon so I don’t want to miss everything special a child brings to the family.

Dogs might need Redbull if I keep taking them for a walk! 🙂

• posted by Nickix
    on

Thank you happy girl I’ll give that a go.

Good luck everyone x

• posted by PatC
    on

Lost a little weight this morning, but to be honest ready to chew my arm off, hating the carb withdrawal and craving for cake, biscuits, cheese……and drinking so much water, but, had a better lunch today – more MM than ‘what’s in the fridge – that will do’!

Margaret – how’s it going? It’s the leftover goodies that are the killers, my husband sat in front of me last night and ate a huge slice of Christmas pudding with cream – he has one more slice to go -I have frozen all of the rest of the Christmas cake, ice cream is gone and won’t be replaced for a few weeks, husband is on dry Jan mon-fri which will be killing him but he’s as skinny as a lat and can eat anything – which makes up for not drinking alcohol – he is so slim and never puts on a pound – sickening, but-

Feel less bloated ed this morning, scales down a tiny bit, no indigestion, no achy legs – plus points

Want cake, so hungry, sick of water – negative points, rant over x want cake, sorry to go on and on about cake!

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Pat – I think you should change your name to Cake_Addict, hahaha. Seriously though, you know the early-onset grumpiness is all par for the course and you know you’ll come out the other side if you just stick to the plan.

Meanwhile in Dubai, the scales show 100g increase overnight. I actually laughed at that given I know there’s no way I have put on ‘real’ weight after a day of restricted calories and carbs. I probably would have cried before and given up at a gain on the first day, but I am wiser than this now and am in no doubt that it is hormone-related. What goes up will come down (if I starve it of sugar and carbs!)

Today’s food plan looks like this:
    Breakfast: soya yoghurt with roasted hazelnut pieces and a tiny amount of sour cherries mixed in (yum)
    Lunch: Lentil and goat’s cheese salad (adapted from the lentil and feta salad in the recipe book)
    Dinner: Fillet of honey smoked salmon (barely any honey in it: I checked) and a large green salad
    Drinks: 3 litres of water with lemon
    Exercise: 45 mins brisk Vitamin D walk at lunchtime

Thinking of joining you on the 1000 mile challenge. Going to research it online!

Onwards!! (Hang in there Pat!!!)

• posted by PatC
    on

Yes , i feel a little like Homer S wth his ‘chocolate’, though mine is as Sarah says, cake – got through the day – good luck everyone x

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Ha ha! My weakness is crisps!😱😭

• posted by PatC
    on

Oh no, crisps … it’s been so long and they were such dear friends… haha

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Morning everyone!
    Thanks PatC yes I’m trying to curb my newly slim husband because he is a snacker particularly on nuts & grapes & loves Christmas pudding & Christmas cake. I’m not too fond of those but like Panettone & froze a whole one to not be able to eat any not knowing if it was freezable but assumed any kind of cake was. I’m hanging in there still not getting right down to 800 calories & desiring sweet things!
    Sarah goodness me you are putting me to shame but like you I had an odd 1/2lb gain yesterday that I can’t blame on hormones😂but assume it’s my body getting used to more fluid intake. I am also going alcohol free for the eight week duration & do miss wine!
    Come on everyone lets get through the first week & hopefully our bodies will settle back into the routine. I feel so pleased with myself last night because our Sky box stopped recording & when advised to reset it we lost all our recorded Christmas tv programmes😡😡I rather felt like throwing a tantrum & attacking the icecream in compensation but stayed calm & got out my knitting to keep me occupied😎 We now have only normal tv & freeview & I was so looking forward catching up with some favourite things. An engineer was coming on Saturday & has now been brought forward to tomorrow so there might be a chance of re-recording some things. Oh well my main exercise today is ironing bed linen & a pile of shirts😿That should keep me out of the kitchen but I will make some carrot soup for lunch because of loads of leftover 🥕

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Hello everyone
    It seems as though we are all struggling. At the moment!
    Well done Wendy for not giving up and giving in when confronted with a genuine reason.
    Why is it so hard?
    Why aren’t we wired differently?
    We see chocolate or maybe cake or crisps and we feel the need to provide it with a resting place!!!
    Today is a hard day for me, I don’t know why, I just had lunch, homemade a beefburger and salad with green beans but would happily devour my own hand right now!!
    Anyway, I’ll just have to soldier on. It’s times like this that I remind myself that I am doing this to be healthy and to live longer.
    Did anyone see the programme on channel 4 or More 4 last night called The Best Diet in the oil World?
    It was very interesting.
    Good luck everyone today as you go about your business
    Cheers

• posted by Happygirl
    on

The Best Diet in the World.the word oil shouldn’t be there, I don’t know how it got there.
    Sorry
    But it’s that kind of a day!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you Happygirl!
    Lunch today was homemade carrot soup, 46g of Cheddar Cheese, one apple & one pear plus coffee.
    Beef stir fry & cauliflower mash for supper.

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi everyone,

Can I join in with those of you that are struggling 😭😭😭 I feel awful this evening. I think for some reason my blood sugars have gone haywire and I feel faint and my arms are all trembly. It’s my second day back on BSD. I’ve been very busy all day putting the Christmas decorations away and then tidying the study. I must admit to not drinking a lot of water..would that make me feel rotten???. As a quick fix I ate an apple with some cheddar cheese feel so much better now. I just feel so hungry😭😭😭 it seems harder that when I started in October. I think my body is craving the naughties I ate over Christmas 😱 Dinner tonight was supposed to be chicken and Salad but I have added some lentil daal just to give me a fighting chance!
    I hope you are all doing better than I am😟
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Oh poor you Miss Ziggy it’s good eating helped you feel better.
    I seem to remember that it’s easy to get low on salt because we are reducing our food intake & drinking more non alcoholic fluid than we we have recently. I do tend to have a salt & black pepper grinder beside me when I eat because I steam most vegetables & don’t add salt when I cook.
    Margaret xx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hope you are feeling better now Miss Ziggy.

• posted by Nickix
    on

I was doing so well as i have this dreaded cold and no appetite so didn’t eat much then a pork chop and a couple of roasted veg then while watching tv i went to get a couple of Brazil nuts and found a packet of roasted coconut. Just plain nothing added so thought I could have a couple! 3/4 packet later!! 😢 🤧 Xx
    Well done to everyone who’s stuck to it and well we’ll get there! I hope! Xx

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Well, I had a an amazingly RUBBISH day yesterday too so I’m glad to know I am not alone. A combination of PMT hormones, tiredness from some (rare) insomnia and some work stress caused me to plough into a few things I should not even have in the house at this stage – namely left-over Xmas cheese and a big bag of gourmet chocs that The Chef brought me. I dread to think how many calories I consumed. AND I didn’t get out on my walk due to work deadlines. AND I only managed a litre of water. Pants day all around.

On the upside, I did make a yummy roasted tomato and onion soup for lunch with my new immersion blender which was utterly gorgeous. (Roasted 3 tomatoes and one large white onion (all chopped up and seasoned) for 35 mins at 180 degrees, stuck it in a pan, added a litre of veggie stock, stuck in the stick blender for 10 secs and then heated it all up. Recipe said add dried dill but i forgot. Easily made enough for two meals. And it was delicious and satisfying. Who’d have thought 1.5 tomatoes, half an onion and a stock cube would have turned into something so delicious. Possibly cheapest meal ever too – great for January budgets! Would be lovely with a swirl of goats cheese through it too.)

New day, new start. Hey ho. Feeling like cr*p but determined to crack this (and at least the cheese and chocs are now gone I guess….!!!)

Better luck today everyone: we all know the starting bit is the hardest; we just have to push through it.

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

PS: hope you feel better today Miss Ziggy.

PPS: Margaret: I didn’t really put you to shame yesterday after all did I?!!! Best laid plans….haha.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Day 4 & after hopping to the loo four or five times through the night I decided to stand on my scales & I am down 1 & 1/2 lbs so at least on the way down again! although of course it’s mostly just losing fluids.
    I have been averaging around 900 daily calories & now fortunately running out of Christmas leftovers to use up although even after a repeat supper of stir fry beef, 200 grams each time, there is still some roast beef left. The freezer is turning into a left over dust bin with trying to not throw away “good food”! Today I will thaw out the coq au vin made with turkey 🦃 to have with yesterday’s cauliflower rice & lunch will have to be salad with courgette spring onion omelette in my effort to empty my fridge & start afresh. Tomorrow proper BSDiet shopping for ingredients for favourite BSD recipes so finally back into a more normal food routine.
    I hope you are both feeling better Nickix & Miss Ziggy. Sarah my reaction to our Sky box going awol was a close run thing with a cupboard full of chocolates 😂😂
    Good luck everyone only three more days to go until week one is completed👍👍🍀🍀🍀
    Margaret xx

• posted by Dona Rosa
    on

Morning all. Well the first two days are kicking in well. Peeing for the Olympics and sick of going! Tried the tomato, ham and lentil soup last night using up some leftover ham and it is highly recommended. Got enough for two more days for us. Already feel better if a little tired after getting up, sigh, in the night, twice, double sigh. It can only be downwards! Keep on going down all. Oh did anyone watch the Channel 4 diet thing last night, which I thought quite irresponsible in parts. Not half as good as watching Michael Moseley

• posted by PatC
    on

Just typed my usual ‘go on for ten mins about nothing much’ computer crashed, so a short version,better today but still carb hungry, it’ll be good when the hunger pangs ease as it will .

Miss Ziggy and Sarah, don’t worry we are all slowly easing back into the BSD – we all know it works if you do it, best diet plan ever (after we get over carb withdrawal! Well done Margaret, my scales down but a minimal amount, but down, love to all x

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Yes I saw the Channel 4 Diet programme & thought the diets chosen were rather dodgy & Weight Watchers still promoting low fat & lots of carbs but I suppose compared to what they were eating before any restrictions on eating would reduce their calories! I was truly amazed by how ignorant they all were about nutrition but I suppose we are more clued up here because of Michael!

• posted by Avila
    on

Was that the ‘world’s best diet’ programme? That is years old, and also takes population level reflections, rather than individuals.

• posted by Avila
    on

Just looked – that was the night before, just going to watch last night’s offering, but I remember the ones last year – they are about trying out all the different types, without really comparing the health details. So the title ‘how to lose weight well’ is very misleading. And that was just from last years series….

• posted by Dona Rosa
    on

Hi, no it was How to Lose Weight Well – they covered various diets and used a couple of friends, two cousins, a pair of brothers and presenter, also a doctor, under-went various things like cold water swimming, sauna etc to see if they have any effect on weight loss. There are another 4. However Michael Moseley’s stuff is far, far superior.

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi everyone 😀 And I am feeling much better today Thankyou. Just got back from Lidls with lots of veggies and salad stuff to load up the fridge. The lentil daal I made last night from the BSD recipe book was delicious. The recipe uses the daal as a stuffing for sweet peppers but I ate them without peppers. Today I will use the leftover daal as MM’s recipe suggests.
    To change the subject slightly ….I used to wake in the morning pre BSD with a niggly knotted type pain in my stomach. I went to my GP two years ago had the normal tests etc and was treated with medication for IBS. There have been times when I have stopped taking the meds but then have a flare up and have to take the tabs again. I was lying and bed this morning and it dawned on me that I haven’t experienced any discomfort in ages!! No pain no bloating, no trapped wind and believe me I could phhhart for GB if it was an Olympic sport!! And win a gold medal. It seems as though this diet has calm things down another reason for me to stick with it👍🏻
    Oooh look I’ve found the fart 💨 emoticon 😁😁😁
    MIss ZIggy
    Ps does anyone own an electric spiraliser??

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Hello everyone
    Carbaddict your tomato soup sounds delicious, I’m going to try it!
    Miss Ziggy, great to hear you’re getting better, I don’t own any kind of spiralizer but am thinking of buying the one on Amazon as advertised on this website
    I bought courgetti today, it comes prepared in a pack, lazy, I know, but brilliant when you don’t have the tools to make your own. I fried them in a little oil. I heated up 2 spoons of cream, added 50g of blue cheese and 50 g of leftover smoked salmon and threw it on top of the courgetti.
    I have eaten like the Queen!!
    Hopefully the rest of the day will be okay.
    I’m back to a day at a time!!
    The programme about the Best diet in the world spoke about the eating habits of different countries and I found it interesting. Countries that consumed large quantities of processed food and simple carbs were near the bottom of the list whereas countries that consumed fish, veg, fruit, good fat and some small amounts of carbs or complex carbs were near the top. Basically it didn’t tell us anything new but it does confirm what we already know!
    Well done and thank you Dr. Mosely!
    Cheers

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Well done everyone. A good day here in Dubai too, admittedly after another night of rubbish sleep alas, But I have cleaned the flat, had a leaking pipe fixed and am feeling so much more in control. It has showed in my food intake too, which is now back on track and I feel much better. Hoping I sleep better tonight now I’m more on top of things.

On the spiraliser topic, I started off with a hand-held twisty thing that I think I bought at Lakeland. Cheapest option but not easy to use I found, but the manual countertop ones looked so bulky so I was put off. However, during my Christmas break in the UK I found two electronic ones at Tesco that are MUCH prettier and neater (vertical rather than horizontal so take up slightly less space). Both were 30-35 quid (almost the same price as one of those manual countertop ones in Lakeland) so I have splashed out on a stainless steel Morphy Richards one and am VERY excited about it. Can’t tell you whether it’s any good yet however as I couldn’t fit it into my bulging suitcase so my parents will bring it out in March! I shall give you all a review in due course.

The other option for courgettes of course is to use a regular potato peeler (and then julienne the strips if you can be bothered). I admit that I don’t bother to – the potato peeler does a good enough job and produces nice thin but wide slices which saute like a dream. Especially if you fry them in a little coconut oil with a little bit of red chilli. Yum…. Lovely with a piece of grilled (and maybe spiced) fish on top.

Another tip: I brought a packet of roasted, chopped hazelnuts at Tescos too and have been adding them to breakfast yoghurt and salads. They have transformed a few dishes and you only need a small bit. I shall be roasting and chopping my own in my chopper when the Lazy Person’s Ready-Made Bag runs out!! Mmm, now I am thinking about courgetti with tiny chopped hazelnut pieces….

God I love food…..!!! And British supermarkets!!!

• posted by Nickix
    on

Hi everyone it’s so good being part of this group. So understanding 😄👍 And encouraging. We all fall down and help each other to get up. I’ve been so good today until tonight! Then the liquorice allsorts called me! After only a couple i feel bloated and yuk! So I obviously i had to eat them all so that they’re wasn’t anymore temptation! 😣😆😆😣 x I could blame it on 😷🤧🤧😷 and still feeling crap! But should i? Trying to struggle through at work but is that just making excuses? Tomorrow I’ve taken a day off!!! To help my daughter and her family move! She’s expecting me to wallpaper the lounge change 4 light fittings. Plumb in the washing machine and connect the cooker while shipping her stuff back and forth! Then I’ll be home to cook hubbies tea so hopefully I won’t be able to stray cause I won’t have time to eat!!
    Good luck everyone. 👍🍾🎉🍾😘😘🍀🍀 keep it up xx

• posted by Miranda
    on

Happy new year everyone. I am about to repeat the diet, but have gone shopping and everything has been stripped bare. So have pushed my start date to Sat..Since Oct I have noticed , I eat less but I can’t say no, ate some Cadbury buttons- very sweet but perserved.why do I do this?. Looking forward to the time , I can walk away from the goodies, sweet, so not interested!

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Hello Ladies
    Love love love Cadbuy, rowentree, nestle , lindt, whatever
    Thank you Miranda
    Tonight I went out with my friends, tried to difuse a misunderstanding between family/friends, a decided that I was not necessary to the solution so I
    Iet them at it
    Meanwhile…….
    God, this diet hard
    Came home, thought about my friends and devoured the contents of the fridge!
    Hope you are all coping better than me!!

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Thinking about all of that’!!
    Who would play my life in a film?
    Mr. Bean

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Good morning all.

We all fall down indeed. But this is a marathon not a sprint. Changing lifelong habits is super hard, especially when food has been become a coping tool and not the fuel it’s supposed to be.

That said, I’m a kilo (2.2lbs) down in three days since my re-start, even with the Disaster of Day Two. Feeling physically bit better already despite averaging under three hours of sleep each night this week due to too much being on my mind (which is the next thing to resolve in the coming days). Increasingly tired but am ploughing on.

Have reverted to my original 2016 tactic of drinking Diet Coke as a ‘snack’ to help get me through the sweet cravings of the early days. Yes I know it’s a bunch of caffeinated chemicals but I’ll be weaning myself off it again gradually. I figure it’s a better short term option in this tough period than actual food, BSD-compliant or otherwise, which I have less control over in those weak, tired ‘hangry’ moments!

Have a good day everyone. I’m off to tuck into a measured portion of sugar-free soya yoghurt and blueberries 🙂
    Sarah x

• posted by PatC
    on

Crashed and burnt – the cake won today, feel bad… never mind tomorrow’s another day.

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Oh Pat you are having the same day I did the day before yesterday. But it doesn;t have to be about tomorrow – you can pull it in right now. Remember the ‘just because you drop your phone doesn’t mean you have to go on and completely smash it up’ philosophy?

Meanwhile I just discovered the best BSD comfort food meal so far! ‘Pasta’ and pesto! One bag of ‘Slim Pasta – Penne’ and a third of a jar of Filippo Berio classic pesto: 2 minutes on the hob and hey presto, a delicious pig out at only 177 kcals and 2gs of carbs. (Okay so 15g of fat but we can ignore that for now.)

Now, if I was being REALLY piggy I’d even have two bags of the pasta with the same amount of pesto (which was enough). At 24 calories only per bag of pasta and zero carbs, it would be a portion for 2 and still only 200 calories and 2gs of carbs. Perfect for a saintly pig-out and feels very naughty indeed. Perfect for the crappy stressful week I am having here!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Day 5 & feeling very tired & slow with a “windy” uncooperative gut! This is no doubt due to much reduced food & veg intake because of using up Christmas left overs that are not really recommended BSD food or enough fluids despite peeing for Britain. I have to take the car for a service & just want to stay in bed & go back to sleep!!
    Oh well I should make porridge for breakfast & add hemp seeds for roughage. Today we will do a proper food shop & buy lots of veggies & have stuffed big mushrooms for supper.
    Well done Sarah with your weight loss & I also love pesto! Also welcome back to some “old” starters restarting & good luck.
    It will feel so good when this first week has been got through & accomplished because it’s a bit of a trial this morning😿😿
    Margaret xx

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Oh did anyone hear MM on radio 2 about the benefits of daily use of turmeric as an excellent anti-inflammatory & cancer preventive? Best used with some fat to activate it & black pepper to enhance it so had it with scrambled egg yesterday & butter. I wonder how it goes with porridge? Orange porridge anyone😂😂

• posted by Natalie
    on

I use tumeric in peanut satay sauce – paired with plenty of fat there!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

HI Wendy

I’ve put it in savoury porridge – oats, water and parmesan. Let it dry out a bit and use it like a polenta – very nice as a side with steak or oily fish.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Ooh savoury porridge I had never thought of that as an alternative starch! Thank you JulesMaigret.

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

For Pat C big hug…….
    For Wendy big hug…..
    🙂
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you Miss Ziggy😀

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

700g down overnight. Very happy. Farewell mince pie-induced stomach lard.

Another 1.5kg to go until I get down to the lowest BSD weight I have been so far….and only another 25-30kgs after that to goal weight 🙂 Eeeek. (Still going to take it three at a time and plod along slowly. A marathon not a sprint. A marathon not a sprint….)

Margaret – sounds nasty! Hoping you feel better soon. Maybe stay away from any remaining sprouts 🙂

Pat – have a better day. You can do it. Success breeds success – draw on your willpower and it will start to get easier.

Sarah x

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Another pound down now so pleased I am back down to my pre Christmas weight although 1/2 lb to go to get back to my former BSD weight. Two more days to go to complete my first week.
    Come on everyone you can all do it!!
    Margaret xx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi folks. We have had a busy week so not been around much.
    Had a sneeky weigh in this morning and 700 gms. up. I put it down to the g&t I had with dinner last night in London. Will see what I weigh Saturday morning as that is the one I record on my computer.
    We went to a show and did other bits of sightseeing. Walked to the theatre so managed to get in over 10,000 steps in during the day. Absolutely shattered today and having an easy day food wise. We had a mackerel salad for lunch yesterday and dinner last night was a brie starter and salmon with beans and roasted veg on a bed of mashed squash. Last of the parties tomorrow night so will be able to just get on and think about ourselves for a couple of weeks before the next round of social activities appear on the horizon.

Sorry to read some of you are not well and I hope you get better soon.
    Pleased to read reports of those who are back in the zone.

• posted by Dona Rosa
    on

Sabotaged completely. Will be starting again tomorrow! Sigh.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Dona Rosa – you didn’t say what went wrong, but I’m sure it is not a complete disaster. This is a marathon, not a sprint and we all have off days, when things get away from us. Draw a line under it, refocus and get back on track. You’ll probably be surprised how little the damage is when you take your results.

• posted by Dona Rosa
    on

Ah well it started yesterday, lunch was fine salmon and salad but the wine won out last night along with crisps, cheese and biscuits, pistachio nuts – woke up feeling miffed but then a friend gave me a box of biscuits – portuguese type, single layer, jammy dodger small type – so me and other half scoffed the lot between us. Tomorrow the day will begin anew and especially as I have told other half that we will NOT be buying our usual white wine from the local adega – too dangerous to stick glass under spout – you know the thing – so I will be guzzling my fizzy water merrily. Not too bothered just miffed. Thanks for the support Sunny B lol

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

A question for all my buddies on here…
    What food,vegetable, fruit etc did you start eating on BSD and would really miss if no longer available. For me it’s…..
    Courgette spaghetti
    Roasted spiced Cauliflower
    Tinned green lentils

MIss ZIggy

Please log in or register to post a reply.