1st August Start – Anyone with me?!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Can I just jump into your thread and and say a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Onetowatch. So pleased for you.

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Fianna
    on

Many congratulations OTW!! That is amazing news – I remember only too well having to lose weight to get IVF too, it is so nerve wracking to think you maybe denied a chance, and also just heartbreaking when you eat for that anxiety!

Anyway, all power to you and your ovaries πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
    Love Fianna x

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Many congratulations OTW, and I have my fingers crossed that the procedure goes smoothly and you get a healthy and happy family. Knocking back a red wine in true Mediterranean style and toasting your success.

• posted by Inka13
    on

OnetoWatch,
    I too am ducking in to this thread to wish you a massive congratulations! So very happy for you and wishing you all the very best – well done!!
    Inka xxxxxx

• posted by JJfromOz
    on

That’s really good news OtW. Everyone else – keep on trucking!

J

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Awww thanks gang!! Really so touched.

Did some carb loading with the bestie this evening – back on it with a vengeance tom morning. I want a bmi of 24 by the time I see them again so they can’t hold the ‘must maintain under 30 bmi for six months before treatment’ bullshit over me. If I am under 25 they can’t say anything and referral might take 18 weeks. I am grateful- truly! Xxx

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hearty Congratulations One to Watch , had to come over and see what transpired with your weight for your Wednesday appointment !
    What absolutely fabulous news , well deserved for your great effort , my hearty Congratulations πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘Have you read where LCFH way of eatng has increased fertility in many cases , especially successful for those who have PCOS .
    Wouldnt it be wonderful if this way of life led to to you being ‘ on the way ‘ naturally . ( one to watch = on the way 😊)
    A friend’s daughter had IVF for her first 2 , & after running around after 2 very active kids , along with husband working away for 3 weeks at a time , then hone 3 weeks at a time she was feeling very poorly , vomiting frequently , morning & during the day so she wasn’t at all suspicious , especially as she had never been pregnant naturally , but she was suffering frequency of urine , so she went off to the Dr . who suggested he test a urine sample …. She thought he was thinking perhaps she had a urinary tract infection , he came back smiling , and offered his Congratulations , and told her she was pregnant !
    She was over the moon as she had gone through many many rounds of IVF to successfully become pregnant with her 1st 2 , and now she had become pregnant without even trying , how easy was that she thought .
    Dr suggested it was probably because she had lost a lot of weight running after 2 children , so weight loss alone does at times increase chances of becoming pregnant , and the higher fat diet seems to be beneficial too , I’ve read where low fat diets reduce fertility .
    Anyway way Best of British luck to you one to watch , hope it’s Hello Pregnancy very soon . ❀️Hello 66 .

• posted by Hello 66
    on

PS :
    That was meant to be LCHF not LCFH 😁

• posted by JJfromOz
    on

Amsterdam, any loss of poundage is a good thing if, like me, you are significantly overweight. Health and ease of movement are my motivating factors. Excess weight was leading to serious bio mechanical problems with my knees. You only know how important they are when they stop working.

Perseverance is the name of the game, but also being really honest with yourself about what you are ingesting. I use an app on my phone called Calorie King to help me keep track of what I’m eating/drinking and calorie value. I had 2 lapses yesterday that added up to nearly 300 calories out of 800. They were incredibly dense in calorie terms but not very sustaining. Blergh! If you can’t see it, it’s hard to control.
    I think your approach to your retreat is sensible, but do come back.

Best wishes

J

• posted by Amsterdam joins
    on

Thanks J
    I will come back. I agree that honesty is key, and tracking.
    Indeed my health ( I had terrible bowel pains, bloating and even bleeding) have improved inmensly and that is the main objective. Loosing weight is a close second. I count my blessings on the first one every day.
    Have a wonderfull day J and the gang….

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Ah thanks for the lovely story hello! Alas we have male infertility – as in no little fellas- so after five years together o can safely say the chances are nil of a chance pregnancy – hence the critical importance of the referral. It was also very hard to stomach being told that we qualify because of my husband but then my fat became the blocker.

Hello, I hadn’t known that lchf was good for fertility- I do know that weight is important. I had a miscarriage earlier this year too and that is really what triggered getting my act together!!

So I had a totally carb binge in the evening at my besties – she made me homemade pizza to make up for Italy and then cookies and toast!’n full on. Felt terrible this morning. It also reminded me just how much I can out away with carbs because of the insulin problems I have. So happily back on it with a feta and edamame omelette this morning. I was able to have a leisurely brekkie because I arrived an hour early for a big client appointment – put in on Italian time!! Had it at bills in Covent Garden lots of low carb choices there.

Big appointment wish me luck. I am a career coach and author and this is a big opportunity for a partnership with the big boys.

Have a great bsd day everyone.

One to watch – real name Erica xxx

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Post essay ps- I checked with the doctors and they have emailed and faxed my referral and confirmed receipt at Kingston. Happy dance. Hubby back with the van from Italy today – our offer has been accepted so he is prob back out there next week to sign contracts!!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hip Hip hooray for Erica! Lots of good things come to those who put the effort in, I say! Well done, now go nail that partnership! Xx

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Dianna – thank you for sharing – good to know you are out there and have been there and understand

• posted by LadyM
    on

Hi Everyone, I started on Tuesday and have cooked a recipe for tea each evening from the book and followed guidelines for the other meals. Am back to work on Monday and am going to incorporate this with 16.8 so I will eat between 12 and 8 each day. I have lots of ideas of what to take for lunch, loving the Lentil and Feta salad, but few concerns about evening meals. The ones I have made so far have taken up some time and I don’t have a lot of time to prepare during the week as don’t get in till 6 ish. Any ideas be welcome. Have a good day.

• posted by Theodora
    on

LadyM – I would suggest you bulk cook meals when you have the time (weekends maybe?) and divide into portions and freeze them. Many of the meals in the books freeze really well, and that way you will always have a BSD meal at your fingertips ready to reheat when you don’t have the time or inclination to cook from scratch. Good luck with your BSD journey – stick with it, it really works.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi all, bit quieter on this thread this week. Hope all well. We’ve been a week in France, away from measuring and counting but very near CHEESE. So don’t quite know what to expect when I get home. Seems to me like I am the same body shape as at my heaviest, but maybe just a bit smaller than last week. And there’s a cheeky collar bone in view now and then. Have managed veg most days but not enough for my preferences, I feel a bit bleurghy today. Can blood sugar go too low on this diet? What would that feel like?

Ho hum. It’s raining here, my husband is on his 21st hour of running and I am sitting listening the children bitch at each other. I might make them go for a walk in the rain, then they’ll bitch at me instead. πŸ˜³πŸ’¦β˜‚οΈ

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Jackie
    You have been doing really well even attempting to stick with BSD principles whilst in France so don’t beat yourself up.

Just wondering how your man is doing now? Has he finished yet? What division/classification is he in? Been following several runners (Inc son in law VI H) online, videos etc. I simply cannot imagine how they keep going, particularly in that terrain and at that altitude, all night, all day and then through another night and day if necessary!! Totally beyond understanding – guess it’s just sheer guts and determination! Bit like us all on BSD πŸ˜‰

Hope your son recovered from his altitude sickness?

PS If it’s any consolation, it’s hammering it down here tooπŸ˜‰ Absolutely awful, and blowing a gale too!!! Just about to venture out with the dogs. I may be some time……

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hey Theodora, he’s finished! Came 589. He’s V1 H too. We are very proud, incredibly difficult race – snow amongst other things – higher than average drop out rate. Great atmosphere in Chamonix this morning, everyone beating the hoardings as the guys come in. How’s your son-in-law doing?

Son is perky. Well, he was woken a bit abruptly to get down to finish line but he and his sister ran last bit with their Dad. Very emotional. Now Dad in bed and we are all a bit shell shocked too!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Jackie – well done your man. That is quite an impressive result and quite frankly, anyone who even finishes deserves a medal!.

Son in law came in at 417 I think, all power to him as he is running without any support or running buddies ( a first for him). But have been following online, and the coverage has been really good, with videos of check points etc.

Have spoken to him since, and he is on a high, but totally knackered having not slept for two nights on the trot – think his junior doctor training, whilst a long time ago, may have come in useful here!

He only just scraped in by a few weeks for the V1 H classification (he’s very nearly 50), and sounded very upbeat, just wish my daughter and her daughters could have been there (instead of here, though been lovely to see them). What a feat of endurance – all power to them. Totally bonkers, but whatever turns you on and helps you get through.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Wow, Theodora, They are both machines!! We only saw Andy once, he said in a way it was better because you end up talking to the helpers so much. Well done to them both!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Also we must have seen your son-in-law come in this morning. We gave everyone a hearty cheer but especially the GB people!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Wayhay Jackie – thanks for cheering them all on. We saw Rich come over finish line online, and the very first thing he did was blow a kiss to my daughter and granddaughters. We then saw him take out his phone and, before I could even say “he’s ringing you” her phone went and they had a lovely chat. All on a bit of a high here – goodness knows what it must be like there πŸ˜€ Well done those boys, respect. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜€

• posted by JackieM
    on

Theodora – your comparison of BSD to long distance running definitely resonated with me. Just keep plodding, with the ocassional jog down a hill and stagger up another one, past the patisserie and the potato dauphinois.

On another matter, on this diet I do not crave carbs but I do crave a treat. I do not know what a BSD treat might look like though. So at the patisserie I wasn’t much tempted but I did wish there was a BSD shop I could go to and enjoy buying something nice for me. Maybe once I’ve lost a bit more weight it will be clothes. Did buy some face cream I wouldn’t normally get, but it doesn’t have quite the same satisfaction level. Ho hum, neee to reeducate my mind as well as my body. And maybe back in UK will have readied access to food I love (like Greek yoghurt!)

• posted by DutchJamesy71
    on

Morning everyone,

Three weeks done!
    I’ve lost a measly pound this week for a total of 11 and a half pounds.
    FBG 5.5
    2 and a half inches off my waist.

I wasn’t surprised by the one pound weight loss as I weigh daily but not going to say I’m not disappointed.
    But I’ll plod on as I’ve read about people stalling at around this point.
    Have a great day/week!

Mona xx

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Mona this is still really good and it’s so so normal for it to slow down!

After three blow out dinners on weds Friday and Sunday I am back Ina fresh cycle of 8 weeks. This time my mini goal is to get in to the 10 stones/ 60’s kgs in the next four weeks I would like to be 68kg that’s 10st 8 or so. Not sure what I weigh lost blow out but today I had a piece of French goats cheese a piece of choc and a chicken stew with low carb veg – a little 100g brown rice ( easing back in) and a slice of oz tongue. All in at 750 cals so happy. X

on

Onetowatch,

Thank you! Currently in bed as chilli peanuts and profiteroles are screaming my name; I can still hear them from up here!!

Your food sounds lovely x

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hey Mona – 11.5llbs though! How amazing is that in3 weeks! I definitely had a pause around then. Hope you didn’t succumb! Although you are so awesomely ‘on it’ I am sure even if you did you will pick right back up again.

Just had a funny experience at Drs. I was diagnosed insulin resistant at private clinic (long story) so went to check in with NHS Dr. She was very supportive and asked for name of book so she can try diet too! So, spreading the word!!

on

Jackie,

Thanks! I didn’t succumb no; went to bed instead as I was pretty shattered.
    It’s definitely a great weight loss and I feel good but I am, despite drinking loads and generally eating low carb, still hungry. And so fighting food cravings A LOT. You can only eek out 900 calories so much ( I’ve yet to have 800 lol. Usually I do between 900 and a 1000).

Had some chocolate today but have added it to MFP and keeping it real.

I just feel like I’m constantly ‘sacrificing’ (woe me lol) and not seeing the super fast weight loss others see. But, it’s early days and I must continue. All those little losses will eventually add up to a big one. πŸ‘πŸΌ

• posted by JackieM
    on

Mona – I get that completely. I think that I want ‘something’ as a treat, but I don’t know what it is! The carbs made me feel so ill and tired I am completely not having them ever again, but I do sit there seeing the kids evident enjoyement in pizza or bread or pudding no think ‘nothing I eat makes me that happy’. And probably half my problem has been I’ve always really really really enjoyed food. My daughter remembers places based on what she ate there, and I’ve always been like that too. So there’s a kind of mourning involved too, it’s been a big part of my life. BUT BUT BUT I also don’t want to be diabetic. I mean REALLY. I watched a friend go hypo and it upset and slightly disgusted me, if I’m brutally honest. He’s a type 1 who should know better, he doesn’t manage his medication at all well, but it left a big impression.

I definitely won’t be able to keep to 800 for very long (just the next 3 weeks!) , but I think I can go low carb long term, and according to the book that’s enough for good health. Do you count carbs as well? I have a feeling you do – could you just keep that low but up your cals? I think more ‘good’ fat might help with the hunger? Just speculating here.

Ho hum, no easy answers, but keep your pecker up, you are doing fantastically well and playing for the long game. It’s only been 3 weeks! You are nearly a stone lighter! So am I!!

So, let us find something that isn’t the food that’s slowly killing us to celebrate with!

on

Jackie, you have just summed ME up. Totally. I am in mourning. Despite being healthier and in control and on the way to becoming meds and hopefully diabetes-free, I feel sad for not eating what I want. What the hell is wrong with me?!
    At work I’ve said no to
    Pizza
    Prosecco
    Cheesecake
    More cheesecake
    Chocolate cake
    Biscuits
    And at home to:
    Chinese with friends
    Gin
    Crisps/nuts and God knows what else. I want to eat them so badly!
    But saying yes to every single craving is what got me to this state in the first place so I have to remain disciplined and do this.
    I do count carbs and lost two stone last year doing a low carb high fat diet. I know once I’ve finished with this I can have a small amount of peanuts and I do a mean sugar free cheesecake. So I need to toughen up a bit and stop being a baby.
    Just been thinking actually, I didn’t have these cravings a few weeks ago and if I’m being truthful, I’ve had slightly more carbs in the last ten days or so: a white roll here, some chocolate there… Mmmm. I bet they’re causing my cravings! Think I need to tighten up a bit when it comes to carbs and watch out as it’s a slippery slope back to maintaining or playing with the same two pounds.

Right. Onwards and downwards!!
    I CAN do this dammit!!!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Mona – I bet that’s it! I’ve noticed that if I even have too many carby veg in one go I find the next day just that bit harder.

We CAN and we WILL

Onwards and downwards!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Mona? Moooonnnnna?! How you doing? This threads gone v. Quiet.

Still thinking of you and hoping you are still ‘onwards and downwards’

Xx

on

I’m heeeeeeeeeere!!!
    Still going strong but back at school and absolutely drowning in work and stress. Boooo.

Im about to complete the fourth week and have lost as of today, 14 and a half pounds.

I’ll post stats tomorrow but all going well. Yes I sometimes have to chew my fist as I want to eat so badly but I’m keeping on. Not quite on 800 calories; probably averaging 950 a day.

How are you?
    Xx

• posted by JackieM
    on

All good here, 7kg down and starting to notice. Going back to school means easier for me as kids not home! Pilates class tomorrow! Glad to hear you are going strong. I get hungry too, seems unfair to be so strong on carbs but still limited to calories. But then I figure I’m nearly half way there and then I can relax a bit. Definitely not eating carbs again, I feel so much better without.

Xx

on

3 lbs lost today for a total of 14 lbs in four weeks.
    FBG is 5.8
    Waist is the same as last week: 2 inches off.

All is well.

Xx

• posted by Fianna
    on

Hi everyone

How is everyone who started on 1 August doing today at the 6 week mark?

Be good to hear!

I was on holiday for a week in the Peaks so slipped a kilo back on (even though exercising and eating the right ‘med diet’ foods, I ate too much of the right stuff) but today had lost that kilo again, and another, so I’m back on track again after a slight lapse!

So at the 6 week mark I’ve lost 9 kilos, 3 inches of my waist, and my blood sugar is now below 7. So I’m pretty pleased with that!

After the 8 weeks, I am going to continue with the med diet, and probably go back on the 800 cals shortly after. I’d like to lose 25 kilos by the end of the year. I still wont be anything like my ideal weight, but it would be a huge boost to acheive that much.

Lots of strength and belief in yourself to you all

Fianna x

• posted by Fianna
    on

oooo it has gone quiet!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Well done Mona, glad it’s all steady.

Fianna- you made me laugh! We are all hiding behind the sofa – SURPRISE (balloons go off, confetti streams down).

Mostly been posting on the 4 week challenge. 7kg down, 9kg to go! On a bit of a go-slow, despite keeping calories at 800 and carbs below 30g. But it has only been 3 days and before that I was losing about 1/2kg a day. Patience is apparently a virtue!

• posted by Fianna
    on

Nice to see someone come out from behind the sofa! *combs clumps of confetti out of hair*

Didnt realise there was a four-week challenge – but 1/2 kilo a day is amazing! – well done that girl!

Was everyone doing 4 or 6 weeks then? maybe thats why it has gone quiet!

Wonder if there is anyone still doing the 8 weeks from 1 August? Hello?

F x

• posted by RitaRyvita
    on

I’m on Week 6, I started the diet properly on 7th August, after a few weeks of not following it properly. So I’m 6.5 weeks in to following the diet correctly and filling out a daily food diary, etc.

Weight loss for me is very slow, despite me cutting out fruit (my Endocrinologist won’t allow ANY fruit, not even low GI ones like raspberries), and am eating lots of items such as eggs, salmon, tuna, prawns, lean turkey breast, cauliflower and mushrooms.

I started off at just under 85 kilos, and now weigh 74.5 kilos, so not too dramatic compared to some of the weight losses experienced by posters on here. I should add that I look exactly the same as I did a couple of months ago (still have a huge round fat face with jowls – I will never get rid of them, have had jowls even as a skinny child and teen) and I’m still wearing the same size clothes. The only noticeable thing for me is that my jeans fit a little easier round the waist, but I still look the same as I did before. I haven’t dropped a dress size or anything like that.

At the middle of the six-week point though, I’m now experiencing digestive problems which I think I can attribute to the recent re-introduction of brussels sprouts – they just seem to have undone all the good work of the previous weeks where I had no digestive problems at all.

The weirdest thing for me though is that, for the past few days, all I can taste at any given time night or day, is sugar. It literally tastes like I’ve just consumed a huge spoonful of sugar (which I haven’t) – but that’s all I can taste – even after eating fish & vegetables or a boiled egg.

Has anyone else experienced this weird ‘taste of sugar’ thing? It doesn’t feel normal :/

• posted by JackieM
    on

My weight loss is definitely slowing down, although I am hoping a stressy couple of days at the beginning of the week was what slowed it. Lost 200g yesterday.

RitaRyvita – 10kg in 6.5 weeks is not slow by any other diet or measurement!!!! And I taste cheese (not sugar) all the time. Yuck! Am going off dairy as a result in fact. Weird, eh!

I love weighing myself because I am very clear I am not deviating from the plan, so the weight loss or not just interests me. I’ve found that I don’t go ‘up’ in the course of one day as much as I would have in the past, when morning v evening could deviate by a kilo. Now it’s a couple hundred grams, if that.

on

Week five done, for a weight loss of 16lbs.
    FBG 6
    3 inches off my waist.
    I’m finding it hard (still lol) but carrying out. Usually averaging 1000 calories a day.

Xx

• posted by JackieM
    on

Well done Mona! I am stuck! But relatively content. May push on next week. Xx

• posted by Amsterdam joins
    on

Hello everyone
    I am back. I was at my budhist retreat, eating what I was served and a bit of chocolate every now and then.
    I do see this went quiet as people went back to the world and maybe we got used to this way of eating.
    I think the weight loss you accomplish is fantastic. As JackieM so kindly helped me see, comparing can bring confusion and we always want more but the results are great if we think of the alternative of continuing things as they were.
    I had lost 5kg just before leaving entering my retreat. That was my weightloss in over 5 weeks.
    I gained 700 gr. Which is quite good considering the mostly vegetarian regime.

So today I start again with this way of eating. I would be thrilled to lose another 5kg in 4 weeks since that would put me in a normal BMI but have decided to make my goal to have eat my 800 cal and keep carbs under 25gr each days. The results I leave to the wisdom of my body.

Having done this before I know I can do it but I also remember the ketoflu and that in the beginning there is some getting used to it.

Let’s do this

• posted by Fianna
    on

Rita Jackie Dutch and Amsterdam, so good to see you are all still around! I just thought Id check in and see if there is anyone else coming up to the 8 week mark tomorrow morning? I am, have managed to stay at the 14k overall despite last weeks holiday. The two holiday weeks were the spanner in the works, but at least I have lost 14k. I want to lose another 14k by the end of the year, so I’m going to be starting again.

Amazing only to have gained 700g on a retreat Amsterdam!
    Rita, I do have a thing of things tasting sweet – my husband doesnt get it at all (he is on the same diet but drinking alongside it) – I am forever commenting on how sweet things are. I’m guessing we are so sweet-depreived that our poor wee sweet taste-buds are just hanging out for any morsel of sweetness and getting over-stimulated!
    Dutch – good work
    and Jackie – its inspiring to hear that you are feeling content – good atttude!

Keep on trickin’!

Fianna xxxx

• posted by JackieM
    on

Omg is it only 8 weeks? From 1 August? Then I started on 8 August and that means I’ve lost 9kg in 7 weeks. That’s flippin’ amazing!

I was having a bad day today, in the sense of grumpiness, so haven’t counted but have stayed low carb. This morning I was 67.7kg, 3.7kg to go to not be overweight and 7.7kg to go to be ‘healthy’.

I am tired today (new puppy) and also my daughter made home made cookies and although I won’t have any I do wish there was something special for me. The spare cookie dough has the same effect. Though it does look a bit like puppy poop. But most things do now. Most things ARE now!!!

• posted by Fianna
    on

Rita Jackie Dutch and Amsterdam, so good to see you are all still around! I just thought Id check in and see if there is anyone else coming up to the 8 week mark tomorrow morning? I am, have managed to stay at the 14k overall despite last weeks holiday. The two holiday weeks were the spanner in the works, but at least I have lost 14k. I want to lose another 14k by the end of the year, so I’m going to be starting again.

Amazing only to have gained 700g on a retreat Amsterdam!
    Rita, I do have a thing of things tasting sweet – my husband doesnt get it at all (he is on the same diet but drinking alongside it) – I am forever commenting on how sweet things are. I’m guessing we are so sweet-depreived that our poor wee sweet taste-buds are just hanging out for any morsel of sweetness and getting over-stimulated!
    Dutch – good work
    and Jackie – its inspiring to hear that you are feeling content – good atttude!

Keep on trickin’!

Fianna xxxx

• posted by RitaRyvita
    on

I’m on Day 2 of Week 8.

I had tried to do my own sort of diet in July, but at that stage hadn’t much of a clue as to what was calorific and what wasn’t. Then, I got a copy of the Blood Sugar Diet book, absorbed it, got a Food Diary, and began – in earnest – on 8th August.

I’ve lost approx a stone and a half since then – and although people are starting to notice my waist being a bit trimmer – I still feel big (I have a very broad skeleton frame, so I’m never going to look svelte) – but I have another 2 stone to go until I’m at target weight.

The weight (or fat) has come off at about 1-2 lbs per week, on average. Although I feel like I’ve been on a plateau for nearly 2 weeks now, and am impatient for more fat to shift. I’m starting to feel my collarbone returning – although it’s not hugely visible – but I’ve got a bit more definition around the shoulders now.

Still a looooooong way to go, the weight cannot come off fast enough. I’m hoping to have shifted another stone and a half by the end of November, and – if I’m lucky – the final stubborn half-stone or so between end of November and Christmas.

I really want to fit into some old outfits (hanging miserably for years in the wardrobe – glad I didn’t throw them out) by Christmas, so I can pretend they’re new outfits!

RitaRyvita

Please log in or register to post a reply.