1st August Start – Anyone with me?!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That’s cool too, although I hope you’ve at least tried it recently and found you disliked it. If you’re reacting negatively to the mere idea of seaweed, then you’re missing out on something that could be a great thing for you and your family. The BSD has forced me to confront a lot of preconceived notions about food grounded in tastes I carried forward from childhood. Tastes change over time. They change a lot when we cut out carbs.

Caveat: I liked seaweed before the BSD. I had a Japanese friend when I was a kid who used to bring these sesame crackers wrapped in nori to school. I loved them, and I was a picky child with a bland palate. Also I could probably eat a solid 10 pounds of that seaweed salad you get at sushi restaurants.

• posted by wibbly
    on

We eat seaweed in Wales. We call it laverbread. It tastes disgusting but it is traditional. We also eat Sushi when we are near a really good Japanese restaurant in London. The sea weed is generally wrapped about rice. I like the raw fish tho’ and, were I in London, I should not eschew it.

On the whole we are not a snack eating family – we settle for 3 meals a day cooked from fresh ingredients which, in my case since I have been pretty much bedridden for a year, has provided too much nutrition. I have no desire to denigrate your diet but I have no intention of seeking out unappealing food stuffs so that I may snack on them instead of eating the recommended dietary constituents.

I ate nuts because I was too busy to cook dinner at that time and, being stressed, instead of consuming just a few ate lots. Getting too busy to cook and so snacking is not on my agenda. If my clients would all sling their hooks and let me resign life would be less stressful.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Michael Mosley recommends seaweed very highly, actually. He even tweeted about it recently. Anyway, I didn’t mean to piss you off and add to your stress. I apologize.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Thanks for your kind thoughts people. I feel much better today – just occasional flashbacks – my last cat Casper was killed by a car so it was very triggerinfg. My current cat Fat Brian is invincible though.

Today I didn’t fast and ate a little over – fried eggs and sauerkraut to start the day.

Salad with a little turkey and walnuts and 20g manchego for lunch.

Very small lot of gelato – about 80mls – o am in Italy and it’s only my second in a month!

Dinner was the treat – octopus salad followed by fritto Misti – fried meat and veg in a sort of tempura batter and six strawbs. And a glass of red wine – tiny one.

I will be fasting again tomorrow – going to aim for saturdayvlunchtime and will keep you posted- hoping I have just a couple of kilos to go now till weds. Will cry if it doesn’t hold off.

Wibbly- mindful eating. If I am stressed I must hide nosey crunchy food. A run is better or a sleep or a bath or a full blown on the carpet roll around screaming tantrum xxx

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hey there everyone, hope today has been a good day. I just spent 20 minutes eating 1 square of 85% chocolate. Now there’s a thing I never thought I’d say. ๐Ÿ˜€ It was divine, far too good to rush! Night night all, onwards and downwards.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Good morning O2W, glad yesterday was better. Was thinking about you on and off yesterday, and it occurred to me that jockeys and boxers have some – ahem – tricks they use before their weigh-ins. I wondered if that was worth researching, although only as a on-off, obvs.

Anyway, hopefully you’ll get home to your trusty scales and it won’t be required.

Also think your husband is a very sensible man.

Anyhow, keep your pecker up, last push.

Xxx

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Wibbly – apologies for jumping in here -congratulations on knowing yourself and what works for you. Wishing you success in achieving your goals, in a way that works for you.

• posted by Fianna
    on

Hey – for anyone who DOES like seaweed – you can get 100 nori half-sheets at a chinese supernarket for about ยฃ2! I have been rolling them sushi-wise with a thin spread of tahini and pine nuts and a few flakes of sea salt. Or with a small strip of organic crunchy peanut butter inside. Gorgeous and nutritious. Also putting Wakame (dried seaweed) and dried shitake and porcini mushrooms, lemon juice and garlic puree in with a spoonful of fresh soy miso. YUM ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a really big nut blow-out yesterday evening after a very re-traumatising hospital procedure on Tuesday which has caused the stress hormones to surge and not diminish quickly (they are still up, keeping me awake nights) and therefore the body to cry out for glucose. I stayed away from the glucose at least. But these are tough times.

Sympathise hugely about the kitten.

Fianna x

• posted by alliecat
    on

hi, Esnecca

just wanted to make a quick post on this thread, and let you know how much I appreciate and continue to learn from
    your knowledge of the BSD, as well as nutrition in general. I salute you for your entry on the 100 club thread!
    I have lost 142 lbs working with this diet/way of life. I can’t imagine eating any other way as I’ve regained my
    health and my life as a direct result of it. I spend most of my time on the “new life for determined alcoholic” thread,
    and admire you for the way you addressed the “personality disordered” Lain over there. My sentiments, exactly. Long
    may he continue to ride his bare-assed borrowed bicycle thru the streets of Brighton!
    Thank you for bringing up the benefits of nori sheets. Would you happen to know if they are sold at Whole Foods in
    the U.S.? When the weather cools down in Autumn I look forward to trying a few of your recipes. I like your creativity
    and respect for your ingredients.
    Best wishes,
    Allie

• posted by wibbly
    on

Life is too short to argue unless paid to do so. So I am off. Good luck with the diets particularly Onetowatch – I wish you the family you dream of. Goodbye.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

There’s no argument here, wibbly. I apologized for antagonizing you yesterday because it wasn’t my intent at all. When I realized my enthusiasm for finding variety in this WOE had crossed the line and angered you, I backed off immediately. I hope you don’t leave the forum because we disagreed over seaweed.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Alliecat, thank you so much and many congratulations to you on your amazing results! It’s a whole new world when you lose as much weight as we have, isn’t it? I’m with you completely on making this a permanent way of eating. I feel so great and take such joy in exploring the many food avenues available to us, I am repulsed by the idea of returning to my old ways.

Seaweed is definitely available at Whole Foods. Last I checked, they had dried nori, wakame and dulse for sale. They probably have more now since it’s getting increasingly popular. You can also find it at Amazon (which now owns Whole Foods) and other online retailers.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Fianna, I love your wrap idea! I think I’ll start a separate seaweed thread so we can share ideas. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Fianna
    on

Hey, there have only been viewpoints on what is right for us each as individuals, and suggestions to others for things to try, so far as I can see. There are no right answers that are good for everyone, so no need to argue. Take advice if it fits for you, leave it if not. Or have I missed something? Hope no-one is feeling too bad right now, and that the bank-holiday weekend brings loads of relaxation and renewed resolve to do this thing!

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Dianna wishing you a swift recovery – take good care of yourself – surgery etc is v hard on body and soul. I adore your seaweed ideas – lots ofnthingfs inhandnt thought of. I have Thea sawed sprinkles and those sort of stick like ones you get from Japanese shops- hijaki- but I am going to get some nori now too.

esnecca you are a loving legend – it’s all good here and you add loads of value.

Jackie lol!! Yeah I am going to research those.

I am 24 hours in to a fast – aiming to get to 42 hours and have a huge plate of wild boar stew for lunch tomorrow! Last few days in Italy – last push- haven’t weighed yet but sure I must be down to near nhs goal now.

Thanks for the encouragement wibbly. Don’t sulk – stay with us!

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Oh my lord look at my fat finger I phone typos.

Hopefully you get the gist.

Ps- we nearly bought a house in Italy today but on closer inspection found some huge cracks – good to look beyond the tiles and shutters one to watch!!!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I got the gist just fine, Onetowatch, and the typo was awesome too! Thank you so much. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Super bloody fucking good news report!

So last weigh was Tuesday at 75.2

Fasted weds 24 hours then ate 800 Thursday and then fasted Friday up till lunchtime today. Pre lunch weigh in. ….

Bsd drum roll…….

72.2!

Get in!!

I did just have an 800 cal lunch – antipasti, one glass wine, one fork of spaghetti, rabbit and veg so it ‘au we’ll pile back on a bit but I have weigh in with nhs on weds so pretty confident one more fast from tomorrow till Tuesday am should do the trick.

Totally thrilled.

For anyone thinking of fasting it really isn’t so hard! Did 24 first then 36 and just now a 42 which Jason fung says is optimal for ketosis.

Go me.

Xxx

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Oh yeah and we put an offer in on a different house- next door to where we are staying- so excited!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Onetowatch – fantastic news all round! Congratulations!!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Congratulations all round OtoW, weight down and a house in Italy. Not to burst your bubble but if you are having either blood tests or urine tests at the hospital try not to be in ketosis or you might face investigations or be prepared to tell them you fast – as an ex-nurse just thought I would put it to you.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Thanks sunshine- no tests – the scale only but good to know! Have ha da bit of a feast day- will finish up around 1200 or so but intend to fast tomorrow again so I think it’s ok.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Yay…Onetowatch…way to go….brilliant news. Amazing you can fast so much….did you work up to it, or just do it? How lovely a place in Italy…will you rent it out? Best of luck.

Best wishes
    Nonna Mary xxxx

• posted by Theodora
    on

Way to go OtW. How exciting is that? !!!

Fantastic efforts have paid off with fantastic results. ๐Ÿ˜€ Now just keep it going……….will be awaiting news with bated breath.

Great news about your offer too, really hope it is accepted and that all your dreams come true.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Thanks! Back on full 48 hour fast till tomorrow so I can check where I am on my own scales back home. I do want to do a victory lap as next weds is my 8weeks up for this round- can’t believe I have done it – even in Italy – but still we need all digits crossed that the numbers stay low for weds weigh in!

NOnna I built up from trying a 24 hour dinner to dinner to an overnight dinner to breakfast and the a dinner to lunch a day and a half later. I read Jason rungs book which is called The obesity code and he recommended 36-42 hours so that is pretty much what I followed. I think if you have been doing 18:6 it’s not much harder to add another 6
    Hours.

Re the house – we want to move here this time next year so we will have a bit of doing up
    Time – get married in march in sussex and then prob rent it to airbnb visitors while we plan our change!

on

Hi OtoW, glad everything is under your control, I am sure they will be pleased with you at the hospital. Good luck with your venture in Italy. I am full time in France and they might have to drag me kicking and screaming back to UK, nothing wrong with UK just my lifestyle in France would not be possible there.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Outstanding result, Onetowatch. It’s surprising how easy an extended fast can be, isn’t it? Even so, you get huge points from me for pulling it off in Italy. That is a real feat of strength. You’ll sail through the 48 hours, I’m sure, and then it’s on to your ultimate goal of IVF approval. Before you leave you should get one of those horn pendants, or, if you’re feeling a little bolder, a winged phallus to bring you good luck. ๐Ÿ˜€

Congratulations on your success, your wonderful new house and your ever-brighter future!

• posted by JackieM
    on

So, here we are in France. Still low carb, though table laden with frites, baguette etc, but really conscious there’s only so much ham and especially cheese a girl can eat. No way of measuring food, so just trying to eat as little as I need to fill me.

We are in Chamonix and I have to say the first few days of altitude do not suit me. Drinking water ๐Ÿ’ฆ ๐Ÿ’ฆ and then more water, think I retain it here – feel bloated all over. And the heat does for me too.

Moan over. On the plus side, 10,000 steps a day a doddle and most of that uphill (feels like!)

• posted by DutchJamesy71
    on

Morning,

Today marks two weeks.

Weight down 10 and a half pounds
    FBG 5.6 (from 8.2)
    Two inches off my waist.

Onwards and downwards!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hey Mona,

A massive ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ from me! That’s awesome! Hope you’re feeling awesome too.

Still in France. Still easily walking 10,000 steps. Now know not all steps are create equal. Also think should have extra calories burnt for listening to moanin, whining children. Honestly, one little wrong turn …. (added about 40 mins to journey very steep up and v steep down ๐Ÿ˜ฌ)

Would not have been able to do that before BSD on an empty stomach without feeling wobbly, but in fact didn’t eat until 2.30pm because last nights omelette was so huge (and that’s even after I left half!) I couldn’t face breakfast.

Something has definitely changed in terms of energy levels. I never got how changing your diet could make you feel 10 years younger before ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ (mountain goats) xxx

on

Thanks Jackie.
    Well done for doing all that exercise. Your heart must be happy โค๏ธ

Mona x

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Mona what fantastic results – you must be stoked! That is phenomenal- that’s what I lost in the last five weeks!!!

Go you!

Jackie- remember the good ship vegetable! We were in cham at the start of our Italy tour- I am now back on the sofa at home- nice to be back.

Weighed on scales at my local gym- my regular scale- this Arvo after fasting I was 73.4 so need to get .9 off for weds weigh in. Please keep everything crossed for me- it means such a lot to us. Xx

• posted by JulieJay
    on

Well, I am 4 weeks and 1 day into the diet and so far I’ve lost 8 kgs (17.6 pounds) exactly which I am so happy about. I have tried so many diets before and this is the first one that has really delivered results. I’m almost scared to go off it in another month. I think I’m going to go onto the 5:2 diet for continued weight loss. I have collected some great recipes off the site, so thank you to everyone who has contributed to that. My favourite recipes from the book are the Chicken in Lettuce Cups and the Mushroom Toast with goats cheese. Good luck everyone, let us know if you have some good recipes.

• posted by JackieM
    on

I am craving veg, OnetoWatch, but only really managing to find salad stuff eating out. Just read another post and realising there’s far too much meat going on (not always ham but often!). Lucky it’s only a week!

• posted by Fianna
    on

Hi all, everyone is doing so well!

I’m 4 weeks in -today — 8 kilos lost, 2.5 % fat down (over and above the proportional fat loss within the 8 kilos), 2 inches lost, fasting blood glucose down from 9.1 to 6.9 this morning – under 7!!!! Yay!! heart rate and blood pressure also down.

So, although I’m on a plateau at the moment, only about 1 kilo lost i the last week, I’m doing good. I too feel worried about anything that could derail this! We are even ‘phoning ahead to our holiday cottage to ask them not to put out the sweet goodies they usually leave, just in ace we are tempted.

My husband is also doing well on the diet, though he has less overall to lose than I do.

It really helps having him do the diet wth me.

Thank you for all your continued support and inspiration everyone. Sorry I have been too scary-busy to keep up for a while

Fianna x

• posted by JackieM
    on

Fianna that is amazing, well done! ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ to you too. And your husband too.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Onetowatch just found you here and wanted to say well done on the weight loss and so hoping that the scales show the required numbers tomorrow. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best xxx

• posted by JJfromOz
    on

Fantastic results everyone, particularly OtoW, given your fixed deadline. Good luck with your fertility treatment

I’ve completed four weeks, with weight loss of 6.7kgs and 5cms from waist. Trucking on for next two week review. Stay strong and persevere all

Btw, Esnecca, Japanese seaweed is v popular in my household as well. Thanks for the tips about making it a bit more interesting without going overboard on calories. I’m finding staying within 800 cals challenging.

Cheers

J

• posted by Amsterdam joins
    on

Hello everyone.
    one of my first thoughts today was towards onetowatch. Wishing her all good things in her weighin today. You have done so great, such a big effort and you sound so capable of enjoying life to a full… a baby would be lucky to have you as a mum.

Upon completing my 4 weeks, I got on a scale today and am still at a loss of 3kg. 3 cm from waist. I’m sorry to say that I was dissappointed instead of proud. Everybody here seems to loose so much weight and my pace is so slow in comparison. Luckyly I could call a friend and she helped me to see that I did loose the 3 kg and that I feel well. So this is definitely the way to go for me.

I am going to a retreat place to volunteer and meditate for 3 weeks starting saturday. There i will have no control over food as I had until now. Ofcourse I can avoid many things but we eat what we are served. They eat biological vegetarian most of the time.
    Since I love the place, I will go and trust that upon my return I will be able to start again if needed.

Keep up the good work everyone. keep the posts, it’s conforting to know we share the challenges, the rewards and the effort.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Yes! One to Watch we are watching, and wishing the very best of best luck for today.

Amsterdam Joins, don’t be disheartened – 3kg is a great loss on most diets. It can be disheartening when you someone else’s massive loss, but you don’t know their starting point. Anyhow, you will get there if you keep on keeping on. Maybe have a look at what you’ve done so far and tweak it a bit i.e.: less carbs for a few days, more water. That boosted me when I have slowed right down.

on

Hi OnetoWatch, my fingers and toes are crossed, though you wont need it. Good luck for today.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

I DID IT!!!!!!!!

I did it!!

Icould never have done it without all your support – you
    Have no idea – every single day in Italy I binged on your successes , laughs , struggles and learning from you all.

Yesterday I was 73.5 I though all was lost. I fasted. I prayed. I had an Epsom salt bath. Went to the hospital for the dreaded weigh in and I was 71kg exactly!!!

71kg!!!

I got my referral. We are going to do ivf. I am going to be a mummy after three years of struggling through the system
    And being so ashamed of my weight.

Today is also eight weeks up for my first round.

Weight at start 82.6
    Weight at finish 71kg

Total loss 11.6 ( but I am Ina. Vietnamese restaurant right now celebrating!)

Intend to start a new cycle of 8 weeks tomorrow.

Julie, Jackie, Fianna, sunshine, jj, other Jackie, Dutch, Theodora, mixnmatch,wibbly,, esnecca, Amsterdam, and everyone just thank you thank you soooooo much.

I am off to get myself a phallus pendant!

Mona and Jackie amazing results so far!! Really! At 4 weeks I had lost 4kgs. I would say also that I stalled twice for almost two weeks at a time- just keep on going and trust our body.

I salute you all with salt and pepper spare Ribs and a real chance of having a baby xxxxxxxx

Today is

on

CONGRATULATIONS – WHOOOOOOOO FIREWORKS AND EVERYTHING

• posted by JackieM
    on

Onetowatch

Congratulations don’t cover it! Here I am blubbing in a Zipwire park, my own progeny dangling from wires. Now I’ve got Suncream in my eyes damn it!

Well done you for sheer grit and determination!!

• posted by Amsterdam joins
    on

Jackie M…. thank you so much

Onetowatch…. I got goosebumps….delighted for you….. also thanks for your inspiring story.

And all the rest…. together it’s much easier

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Wonderful wonderful news One to Watch!!!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Congratulations, OnetoWatch! Way to set a challenging goal and achieve it with laser-like focus. When your child is a teenager, you’re going to have so much more than the usual “I sweated and screamed in labour for 26 hours to bring you into this world, and this is the thanks I get?!” to hold over his or her head. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

I am SO thrilled for you, Onetowatch. (And inspired by you on the diet front too. Did my 1st 39 hr fast Monday evening through to midday today because of your example. You made it sound like it was possible. And it is – still here to tell the tale and only had tummy rumbling this morning!)

I really hope and pray that EVERYTHING goes well for you in the next few months. Keep us posted.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Way to go, OtW, how fantastic is that!!๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽ†๐ŸŽ‡๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽ‰โœจ Really so thrilled for you and your o/h, praying that your treatment is successful and that you hear the patter of tiny feet soon – you certainly deserve it.

Feeling quite tearful, in a good way – blurry screen and everything. Hugs to you ๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿผ

on

Onetowatch: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Wow you are one determined girl!

So pleased for you. Enjoy every moment!

DutchJamesy71 aka Mona
    Xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.