1st August Start – Anyone with me?!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi all…. I am starting today so wanted to come back on here and say hi!

I did the BSD for 6 weeks in January and February this year, had a break for a holiday, then a further 2 weeks after this and I lost a total of 2 stone, dropping from a size 18-20 to a 14. I also had tummy problems and was on medication for excess acid which i think was caused by being overweight and also drinking too much (this is my vice!). I have maintained the weight however recently a few after work beers in the sunshine, an Italian holiday and the re-introduction of some carbs, mainly bread, has led to the re-appearance of a lumpy tummy!!!

I am aiming to lose 10lbs in August and it is a goal that I know is achievable having done this diet successfully before.

Today’s menu is:

2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast – I will have those at around 11am this morning, the a ham salad for lunch and tonight I have Michael’s thai fish cakes and veg for dinner :o)

Looking forward to chatting to you all – We can do this!!!!!

Much love,
    Rebecca xxxx

• posted by Happyfeet
    on

Hi Rebecca,
    I just started last monday, had a good week. Am away this weekend and will get back on BSD as soon as I come back but am changing my weigh in day to Friday. So will join you on the 10th. And OMG two stones is amazing! Well done!

• posted by JulieJay
    on

Hi Rebecca, I started the BSD yesterday on 31st July and I’m really looking forward to losing this weight. I am really encouraged by your post. Congratulations on losing 2 stone – that’s amazing. Yesterday wasn’t so bad for me but I am struggling today with a headache and I am really craving sugar ๐Ÿ™ Did you find this too?

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi both! and thank you!

I did get headaches yes, it’s where your body is going through withdrawal from the carbs and sugar – it’s called carb flu. I’m hoping where I haven’t been eating that many I may escape it this time around but I’m not holding my breath!!! I also make sure that I add salt to things as lack of salt can cause restless legs!

I found on day 3-4 once I got through that flu I felt amazing! I was sleeping really well and I had a lot of energy, it’s just getting through that barrier I think.

We can do this together and I am looking forward to hitting my first milestone of dropping into the next stone bracket. 5lbs to go!!! :o)

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Me jumping on! I am on week four lost ten lbs in first two weeks and have stayed exactly the same since then! I have a good three and a half stone to lose and I need to lose another 5.5 kilos to qualify for ivf by early sept so yes please – huge support needed!

Today for breakfast i had my first cracker in four weeks. A dr karg with smoked salmon and cottage cheese. For lunch a venison burger and salad with a dollop of yoghurt tonight I plan fish or eggs.

• posted by Fianna
    on

Hi, I’m starting today!

haven’t got recipes sorted out yet as only read the book yesterday, but so far muesli (proper oats flax pine nuts pumpkin sunflower and almond) yoghourt and rhubarb for breakfast. hardboiled egg tangerine and raw red pepper for lunch snacks – a couple olives, blueberries and blackberries. INtending to have smoked mackeral and corn-on-the-cob for dinner. Sound OK to you?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Fianna, your breakfast is a bit carb heavy, are you counting carbs – it might even out with the rest of the days food but do check all that oats and seeds and nuts. Then with the yoghurt it sounds like 2 breakfasts to me. Are you doing 800 cals and are you diabetic. A lot depends on what you want from the diet.

• posted by Amsterdam joins
    on

Hi there
    I’m joining in from tomorrow on. Following a recent health scare I have been developing a new relationship with food and believe I’m up to the challenge. Today my doctor said there where no serious conditions but that it would make lots of difference if I loose 5 to 8 kg.
    The challenge is double since I will be on vacation in Spain from the 8th on, but then again being at the mediterranian might help with a mediterranian diet.
    Excited. See you tomorrow.
    Amsterdam girl

• posted by Fianna
    on

HI @sunshinegirl thank you for the feedback. I did wonder about the oats. Though only 3 spoons of the muesli mix in total. And two spoons yoghourt, 2 spoons rhubarb. Agree I don’t have portion sizes and proportion sizes right yet.Throughout the book MM says x y and z are OK (including non-instant oats, and all the ingredients I use) but x y and z quite often do not turn up in the recipes so it is hard to do the diet without the recipes. Haven’t got my head around the recipes yet, so just trying to put together the foods deemed OK to start with.

What do you do about tea? no milk?

Will get there. Want to get to 800 per day. And yes I am diabetic, but not too bad yet, no meds, but I do want to reverse it.

Have already got massive thirst from this diet and I have been awake since 5 wanting to eat!

on

Good morning Fianna
    Thanks for posting. I recognize the wanting to eat since 5 am!!!!
    I am using a dutch app to track calories and make a plan for today. I also don’t have too much info about the food, but will be learning. This is my eating plan for today:
    Low fat yogurt, 30 gr blueberries and broken flaxseed (breakfast), vegetarian saussage, sauerkraut and 2 medium potaoes, 1/2 tbs of olive oil. (lunch) fish and grilled veggies with 1/2 tbs of olive oil for dinner. Snacks (what does the diet say about snacks?) apple and orange.
    Ladies : Please give feedback if you feel like it, I’m open to learning.
    Thank you for being there .
    Have a fine day

• posted by Verano
    on

Have a look at one of the apps available for counting carbs/calories. You’d be amazed at the number of carbs in an apple for instance and potatoes are certainly high. Also, from the experience of many people here, it would almost definitely be the carbs that affect your blood sugar. So if you have diabetes or pre-diabetes it’s the number of carbs that are important.

I use Fatsecret.co.uk and another popular one is myfitnesspal. You have to be a little careful with them because there are inaccuracies but for the main part they are a good guide.

This does work if you stick with it

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Amsterdam girl, low fat is not the way to go here, and also the fat in milk holds the vitamin D which helps with mineral absorption.
    Blueberries are low carb so you could have more if you want.
    Potatoes are high carb, so check how much you are eating over all (don’t forget the sausage) and adjust the quantity accordingly.

Fianna, I’d be more against the corn on the cob than the muesli, at least the oats are slow release carbs, but personally I don’t eat either any more.
    I’m probably a bit extreme in dropping ‘loose carbs’ but I find it’s easier to avoid them than fuss about with measuring small quantities.

Verano, actually the amount of carbs is important for weight management as well, as it’s insulin that pushes blood sugar into fat cells. (oversimplification I know ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

• posted by Verano
    on

Yes Ancient Weaver I do understand that. I just thought that Fianna and Amsterdam, as new starters, sound rather confused at the moment. I simply wanted to point them towards an app to help understand the number of carbs in some ‘innocent’ sounding foods like apples. I’m sure that over the next few weeks they will get to understand this WOE more fully.

• posted by Happyfeet
    on

Hi guys, do you have food scales? They are really helpful and a bit more accurate than measuring cups. When you have such tight calories they are great. I had a bumby first week with cals (I think the rest of the weeks are likely to be bumpy too!).

I would add veg to bulk up meals (my favourites are courgettes and red peppers at the moment). I also drink milk but only in my coffee (I’m trying to cut these down).

You can also reduce the number of meals. I have one meal because its less faff, I’m lazy and it also means I don’t have to cook anything special for dinner and I like to feel full. So you could try two more substantial meals if you struggle with hunger (i get hungry tooo!)

I’m not an expert, just started myself but have used intermittent fasting previously with some success (i.e. When i was slimmer and without knowing what it was).

great start though ladies!!!

Any mini goals? Mine is to drop out of the 12’s into the 11’s and then need to be under 163lbs to no longer be obese and just overweight. How about you guys?

• posted by Erik1970
    on

Hi

I started this diet this monday.

I’ve never been on a diet before, but when I saw my weight increase this spring beacause of my pollen-allergy and asthma, whitch lead to no working out for about 4 months, I knew I had to do something.

As the allergy-season (for me alt least) is over, I decided to do the 800 cal diet as a kick-start before starting the 5:2 diet/lifestyle.

I’m planning to do some weightlifting to avoid loosing muscle.

My starting weight : 99 kg. Hopefully lower this time next week.

Erik

on

Hi Fianna, thank you for that feedback. I can say I thought you had a bowl of museli and a whole yoghurt, whereas you could probably have either but not both but a bit of each is okay. Can I just say (not to upset you) but there is no such thing as ‘not too bad’ diabetes but I know what you are getting at. My first ever HbA1c was 14.7 and my doctor freaked out. He said I had probably had it for years and put me straight on meds. The meds gave me the poops and I couldn’t get out of the house until mid afternoon when after 25 to 30 visits to the loo had basically emptied me out. Anyway, too much information…… He then put me onto insulin and 12 years later here I am, not only diabetic but a fat diabetic, the insulin does that to you. You have taken the right steps by finding this plan, honestly it does work and you might be able to put your diabetes into remission completely.

I think the point about the food is not finger pointing or tut tutting. We have been where you are now and know just how confusing all this information is. As Ancient Weaver says, the corn is not that good for you either. Now knowing you are diabetic I would say just ditch the carbs completely, you can learn to live without them. The oats for me are a once a month breakfast and only 25g made with water followed by a touch of milk. Good luck to you all.

• posted by GoYoMama
    on

Ok YES! starting! 8 week program of 800. I’m with you!
    Actually just lost 14 pound by simply removing starch…bread and potatoes out of my diet and no snacking between meals…so that was encouraging. So I got to researching and found the book and website. Big goal is not eat dinners in front of the tv! Not feel cravings and eat when I am not hungry. The latest thrill is that I am no longer obese according to Wii. Lol. And that I saw a dramatic change in my blood sugar numbers…Hope! I really can beat this and reverse it and thrilled at the outcome so far as I have prediabetes concerns. If it works for me…Showing by example and truly hope my diabetic husband joins me…he has run out of options and used up his 9 lives.
    Stay strong everyone!

on

HI
    Thank you all for your feedback. Starting now and indeed learning and a bit confussed. Eating according to plan today since food was ready to go and I’m not at home.
    Potatoes, bread and pasta is out for the next weeks (maybe longer). Officially my bloodsugar is fine. I recognize I am addicted to carbs, specially sweet things. So this WOE and you guys as support is exactly what I need.
    2 questions:
    How do you tackle fruit? In the site I read that berries apples and pears are ok.
    Snacks: what’s your view?
    How do you prepare your veggies? I used to stir fry a lot with a bit of olive oil.
    I understand that high fat is the way to go (which is weird after having heard all my life the contrary, but OK, it makes sense). But doesn’t high fat mean lots of more calories. How do you balance that?
    Thanks in advance

on

Hi Amsterdam, first of all fruit. Berries and more berries, blue black, rasp, strawb and so on, apples and pears now and then (once a week??) rhubarb, passionfruit (just the one) apricots, peaches, again not too many. Avoid bananas, pineapple, mango, all the really sweet tropical fruits. Veggies, yes you can stirfry but olive oil is not a cooking oil as it cannot reach good temperature and it is so expensive save it for your salad dressings. Use rapeseed oil – do not even think of the new trend for coconut oil (look at the science). I grill red peppers, asparagus and mushrooms, eat courgettes raw in salads or steamed as courgette spaghetti, cauliflower raw as rice then heated in oven with a little oil, mashed like potatoes with butter and horseradish sauce (yum).

Now for the fat question. This is a good fat diet – this should be called low calorie happy fat instead I have seen it as low calorie high fat. This is not a high fat diet, you are not encouraged to eat fatty meats or the skin on chicken, you should still go for lean meats and trim fat. Also you are not going to start eating more fats you are replacing manufactured ‘low fat’ foods for real food like oil and butter. What has been discovered is that when they mess with the fat in food they add other things to make it taste better, margarine is a petroleum based fat so is a chemical, low fat yoghurts are full of sugar or cereals. Think about it, you are not eating bread so you are not slapping on butter, you are not eating potatoes so no need for milk and butter. You use it for those things you normally add other fats like marge so you are not adding fat you are replacing bad with good. If you eat a piece of full fat cheese you will get so much flavour you wont need to eat half the block just a nice 40g chunk. You will have to rely on others to tell you about milk as I rarely use it as I dont drink tea or coffee but I do now use cream to make scramble eggs. Also think about other good fats like avocados and nuts. Again, not too many, ten almonds as a snack, half an avocado sliced on a salad and so on. The calorie aspect is why you dont have too much of these things. Finally, you dont need as much other food because fat gives that feeling of satiety or fullness. Believe me, my cholesterol has gone from 6. something to 3.4 and my doctor cant believe it and keeps testing me every 3 months (normally once a year) but it has stayed down for a year now.

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi all!!
    Day 2… a bit of a headache today but not too bad – think that is more the alcohol withdrawl rather than the carb and sugar (i like a wine in the evenings)! Had tonic water last night to give me the taste of it and will do so again tonight.

Today was my favoured 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast and I am currently tucking into a tuna salad – staple favourite as the tuna makes it so filling. Tonight is the cottage pie from the cook book which is yummy and will be needed as it is cold and rainy here!

In relation to the fats, I use a lump of cheese as a snack should I need it, maybe a handful of nuts. Its always nice to have some avocado in any salads you make. I also use full fat creme fraiche or cream if I’m making celeriac or cauli mash, makes it go further and taste so much better! Another snack I might have is some sliced chicken breast as this fills me up too.

Also – lots of fluids! I drink a lot of water and black coffee at work. I also drink fruit teas – Taylors do a lovely range and my current fave is Rose tea – something a bit difference to get you through the day!!

Hope everyone is ok!
    Much love
    Rebecca xx

• posted by Fianna
    on

oh lovely, thank you for all the feedback.

feeling very tired today

have taken the time to work out meals in adavce and order a food delivery for tomorrow, prepare this evenings meal in advance, clear out our cupboards into the bin and onto a ‘naughty shelf’, and start working out how some of teh things I would eat anyway would fit into the plan.

I just worked out that 20g of fresh clearspring miso paste (in hot water) is only 33 cals. What a life-saver in the middle of the afternoon!

can I have two hardboiled eggs in one meal?

Hope you are getting on OK

Fianna

• posted by Fianna
    on

also made stacks of stewed rhubarb and stewed gooseberries for the freezer (breakfasts with yoghourt and nuts)

• posted by Fianna
    on

another amazing low-cal snack which i have in the cupboard is seaweed

• posted by Pendiente
    on

Hi,
    Can I join in please?! I lost almost 3 stone between April and end of June. We then went away for a month and the first 3 weeks tried to follow the principles but not too strictly and was pleased that I only put on 2lb. However the last week or so everything went a bit pearshaped and I managed to put on another 3! However I’m not too down about it 5lb over almost 5 weeks – it could have been so much worse! I have another 18lb to lose and I’d love to do this in August. I think it is achievable as I lost 2 and half stone in first 7 weeks so i’m starting again today. Bacon egg and mushrooms for breakfast/lunch and chilli for tea. I’d forgotten about the cracking headache though and its set in big style now! But I know in another 2-3 days I’ll feel fab so here goes!! Looking forward to getting into ketosis and starting some 8:16 fasts as these really accelerated my lost earlier in the year.

Good luck to all – it works so fantastically!!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Yes to the eggs, the limits imposed when they were believed to raise blood cholesterol seem to have been unnecessary and I quite regularly have two eggs, whether boiled, fried, scrambled or as omelette. Seaweed is a wonderful snack, isn’t it? Salty and chewy, or crispy if you can find the thin sheets, like Itsu. On a fast day it is like my mental ‘kitchen closed’ signal when I have had my 800 calories, just a 1g piece has hardly any calories, and a lot of iodine.

• posted by Gled33
    on

My story is almost identical to Rebecca’s. I did the BSD in February through to April and dropped 30 lbs.

Several holidays, the election and work since took me off course and weight crept up – but only by 6 lbs or so. A trip to the States which I have just returned from led to another 7lbs so it’s time to get back to basics. I have two mor trips coming up and I can’t allow each one to add half a stone.

Started again on Monday and already 4lbs down – that lovely whoosh you get at the start. The real work starts now. I have until 24 august in the UK, then a trip within Europe where I will be able to eat reasonably clean as I have a kitchen etc. The real test will be in early September when I am back in the States. I’d like to have lost 11 before then – which should be easily achievable as long as I can stick to this.

GOod luck everyone.

• posted by Fianna
    on

Cool about the 2 eggs, I like the lunch at the back of the book with spinach added.

Those itsus – I would normally eat a whole pack at once (very tasty). But I got 100 half-size sushi nori sheets for a fraction of the price of the normal supermarket ones by going to a chinese supermarket. No added salt, either.

Amazing how much weight everyone has lost (despite lapses), very encouraging.

Am very tired today and my face looks a little pale and eyes puffy. But some of my anxiety has gone (I think the excess fuel of carbs part-fuels anxiety). And – can I possibly have dropped 3 kilos already? and 0.5% body fat? according to the scales I have. Guess it’s mainly water but some fat is going already.

Keeping up with drinking a lot of water – I find I don’t have to remind myself as I am much thirstier than usual. But no headaches!!

Will we really enter ketosis? I noticed MM didn’t mention that in his book, which was quite the omission! I think the science of it at least needs to be discussed – if only to allay fears.

Keep on truckin’!

• posted by keithm
    on

I’m with you. Congrats on your previous successes and I am sure you can do it again. I started on 1st without knowing about the forum. I joined a gym in the morning and then on the way home we went to Tescos and my wife mentioned her sister lost 1st in a month following a diet. In Tesos, they had the book, so we bought it and started straight away. I still have not had a chance to read the book. I have been in Spain for the last 5 weeks, swimming for an hour every day. Across the time, i lost about 6 lb but got stuck at 15st3lb. In two days, i have lost 5lb and I dont think I am following the diet properly. I have never broken the 15st barrier before no matter what I have done. I did get hungry last night but I just kept drinking water. 3 pints and it stopped. I have been excercising massively too though, and differently than before. I will get started on the book later but Im off out to gym first where I have forced myself to take a class – better than just swimming up and down on your own i hope. Good luck to all; be strong

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi all – how is everyone going today?
    Day 3 for me – didn’t sleep brilliantly again last night but again I think that is the withdrawal! Headache has gone today though so that’s always good.

Today is my trusty 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast, then I have a ham and a chicken salad for lunch, and then a meat and veg tea – my parents are going to a butchers today so the meat will depend on what is available…. this will all be accompanied by slimline tonic water to make me imagine there is gin in there lol!

I’m in a different office today so it’s hard for me not to have my normal coffee and fruit teas around, plus where I am is a secure building and I don’t have a door fob so I need someone to accompany me to the kitchen!! Can’t keep topping up my water as freely as I would like! Will make sure I drink lots when I get in later….!

Hope everyone is doing OK… I’m looking forward to my first “whoosh” on the scales so fingers crossed that is tomorrow or Saturday as that will be a great start to the weekend and will give me even more motivation!!!

Much love to everyone!
    Rebecca :o) xx

• posted by Bluehelps
    on

I’m on day 5, going well, almost 2kgs off but I’ve been feeling cold! Maybe it’s just the weather?! I have the restaurant challenge this evening. How do you all manage that?
    I did post on a separate thread but i can’t find it so hope you don’t mind me joining in.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

It’s not just the weather. Many of us felt bone-chillingly cold in the beginning. It passes, or at least changes. Some people get back to normal within a couple of weeks. A year later, I’m still not as hot as I used to be, but I don’t get that teeth-chattering freezing feeling anymore and I’m very happy with the new normal. It sure beats being a perpetual sweatball in every setting.

Restaurants. Yes. They task me. To be honest I mainly avoid the issue entirely by inviting people to our place for dinner instead of going out. When that’s not possible, I scour the menu online, look up the nutritional info if they’ve made it available, and if they haven’t, I stick with lean proteins and non-root vegetables. I would recommend being fully armed with your order before you get anywhere near the restaurant and then sticking to it like white on rice. Don’t be lured by specials, table breads or desserts. Set yourself against them from the outset. They are not “treats”. They are your enemies and they want to hurt you.

• posted by Verano
    on

Bluehelps maybe I could suggest a couple of things. I think when you first start BSD you are very conscious of your new way of eating but believe me most other people don’t notice because they are concentrating on themselves! So don’t be shy about ordering something to suit you. Most restaurants can be really accommodating. I now always ask for vegetables or a salad to replace potatoes etc. Have a look down the menu and if there’s an accompaniment with another dish that you fancy then ask!

Indian can be a little difficult so I just nibble on a poppadum and then have chicken tikka/tandoori with salad and yogurt raita. Chinese is always a struggle for me so I tend not to eat it very often now.

When it comes to dessert then cheese is always a good option. You just need a little willpower at first to resist the bread, potatoes and rice etc. Don’t forget healthy fat is fine so no need to be too frightened of some oil and butter anymore.

It becomes much easier with time as you no longer want to eat bread etc. The most important thing is to ENJOY!

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hello everyone **waves**
    Day 4 for me and i’m 3lbs down so feeling motivated for the weekend. Have just had my standard 2 boiled eggs for breakfast – I’m working from home this morning before an hours drive to Margate for an hours meeting to the drive home for an hour – still, at least it means that I wont eat in that time and that’s my horrible 4pm hunger time so I can’t complain.
    WFH also means I can keep my fluids up and have lots of nice coffee to get me through the emails!!

I have got sea bass for dinner tonight, last night we had lamb, all with veg and calorie counted accordingly!
    We also had a glass of champagne each as my promotion came through – all calorie counted and I am pleased to report all within my 800!
    The weekend is slightly more challenging as we are having friends over for dinner and I am cooking Italian. This does mean however I can cook for myself slightly separately and have different ingredients to make things lower calorie. We are having polenta chips topped with tallegio to start, which I would normally overload the polenta with parmesan, I will for them and I will leave it out for mine and just have the tallegio on top. We are then having saltimbocca, so veal escalope with prosciutto and sage cooked in butter – they will have rosemary potatoes, I will just have a few select vegetables… :O)
    For me, the whole meal will come in at around 400? Would be a lot more if i had the parmesan in the polenta as I normally add so much!!
    I hope everyone is having a lovely sunny Friday so far!

Much love and motivation,
    Rebecca :o) xx

• posted by susie901
    on

Hi I started this back in April lost 7lbs and then stalled I then (stupidly) thought I would give slimming world a go as I need to lose 2 stone, its now August and I have lost the grand amount of 2 lbs since starting SW lost 2.5 the first week then lb the second and since then I lose one week gain the next then stay the same etc etc etc so I have decided to try the BSD again. Have a week in Rhodes planned for later in the month but am hoping to lose the 2 stone by xmas is this possible do you think? any tips and extra help would be great.

Fingers crossed
    Sue

• posted by Fianna
    on

Hi everyone

Day 4 and tired and cold and have actually dropped some of my usual exercise routine, not stepped it up – I suppose that will return soon?. Also had my first disturbed nights sleep last night. But – no headaches, no hunger. Losing huge amounts of water, and down about 3.5kilos. I am very large though, so a bigger than average initial weight loss was expected.

Eating out with friends on Sunday – what would you pick from this menu?

Menu
    STARTERS
    Iced Melon
    Hummus
    Flavourful puree of chick peas garlic, tahini & lemon
    Spinach Tarator
    Strained yogurt blended w/ spinach, garlic & olive oil
    Aubergine Saute
    Deep fried aubergine sauteed in savoury tomato garlic sauce
    Feta Cheese
    Slices of turkish cheese
    Prawn Cocktail
    King prawns w/ seafood sauce & salad
    Kisir
    Cracked wheat salad w/ tomatoes, green onions, walnuts & parsley
    Arnavut Cigeri
    Diced & deep fried lamb’s liver
    Falafel
    Deep fried patty of ground chick peas & fava beans, seasoned w/ onion & herbs, topped w/ garlic yogurt
    Special Meze
    Chef’s selection of mixed hot & cold starters
    Pilaki
    Pinto beans in tomato sauce
    Cacik
    A refreshing dish of mint flavoured yogurt w/ cucumber & a hint of garlic
    Stuffed Wine Leaves
    Hand rolled grape leaves stuffed w/ spiced rice, nuts & currants
    Taramasalata
    Fish roe mixed w/ lemon juice, onions, garlic & olive oil
    Avocado & Prawns
    Prawn cocktail served w/ sliced avocado
    Imam Bayildi
    Aubergine stuffed w/ onions, peppers & tomatoes
    Roasted Red Peppers Puree
    Slices of roasted red peppers mixed w/ puree aubergine & onion, topped w/ grated feta cheese
    Cheese Borek
    Deep fried feta cheese cheese filled filo pastry triangles
    Soup of the Day
    Pide
    Pitta bread
    SALADS
    Turkish Salad
    Thinly sliced green peppers, tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers & parsley, w/ Mediterranean vinaigrette
    Green Salad
    Iceberg lettuce, spinach, sliced cucumbers, green peppers & green onions w/ house dressing
    Feta Cheese Salad
    Turkish salad topped w/ feta cheese
    SET MENU
    This is the best way to sample a variety of items from our menu. Start w/ a special Meze appetisers platter, a middle course of hot starters follows. The main course is mixed kebab w/ turkish salad. finish your meal w/ baklava & your choice of tea or coffee

MAIN COURSE
    All main dishes served w/ our special basmati rice, grilled vegetables & salad
    Antep Kebab
    The spicier version of the kofte kebab
    Kidneys
    Grilled lamb’s kidney
    Chicken Efes
    Chicken breast marinated in milk, yogurt, garlic, mustard & spices
    Shish Kebab
    Tender cubes of lamb marinated in herbs & olive oil
    Beyti Kebab
    Medallions of lamb fillet
    Yogurtlu Kebab
    Lamb & chicken served on a bed of toasted pitta bread, topped w/ rich tangy tomato mint sauce & yogurt
    Roasted Lamb
    Lamb on the bone, marinated w/ herbs & garlic, roasted & served w/ a vegetable tomato sauce
    Vegetarian Platter
    Cheese borek, grilled vegetables, falafel, stuffed vine leaves & feta cheese
    Kofte Kebab
    Minced lamb blended w/ a special mix of herbs & spices
    Treble Fillet
    Fillets of lamb & chicken
    Chicken Kebab
    Fillet of chicken skewered w/ mushrooms & peppers
    Lamb Cutlets
    Lightly seasoned lamb chops
    Shashlik Kebab
    Strips of lamb fillet grilled w/ onions & peppers
    Musakka
    Layered casserole of minced lamb, aubergine, topped w/ creamy bechamel sauce & cheese
    Halep Kebab
    Lamb & chicken served on a bed of toasted pitta bread, topped w/ aubergine sauce
    Seafood Kebab
    King prawns & swordfish marinated w/ olive oil, ginger, garlic & herbs
    Mixed Kebab
    The chef’s selection of cuts of lamb & chicken – a great way to sample a variety of meats
    DESSERTS
    Baklava
    Ice Cream
    Fresh Fruit Platter

Thanks in advance for any advice

Fianna

• posted by JulieJay
    on

Hi Amsterdam. I didn’t think you could eat potatoes on this diet.

• posted by JulieJay
    on

Does anyone know if corn is allowed on this diet? Or is it too heavy in carbs like potatoes?

on

Most of them are fine actually (ignoring the rice), also skip the bread, baklava, ice cream, filo pastry etc. obviously, and some of them have sauces which might or might not be ok, depending if they are made with cream or starch.
    My personal favourite is stuffed vine leaves, but they usually have rice in them so not a good choice, but I’d still probably go for it!
    Next fav. is moussaka, but I make my own BSD friendly version with Iranian sauce (kashk), so I’d probably go for either the mixed kebabs or the roast lamb on the bone, except that that’s what I had the last two times I ate out!

Oh, just spotted the vine leaf appetiser, seems like it hasn’t got rice, so I’d definitely get that, followed by the roast lamb, and maybe the fruit for dessert but I doubt that I’d want anything!
    Calorie counting is not going to be possible, so call it a maintenance day, and maybe only eat 500 cals on Monday ๐Ÿ˜€

P.s Where is this and can I gate crash? ;P

• posted by Fianna
    on

Ancient weaver thank you very much! That is a big help. Though yes, I cant see how I can only eat 400 cals at this meal. At least it is in teh middle of teh day , so perhpas I can eat a small breakfast and skip dinner.

It is in Cambridge!

I thought it actually looked pretty good overall for teh BSD. Probably a it is a mediterraneam cuisine. I wondered about the Imam Bayildi, though I know when i make it I use masses of oil, but may not be too bad a thing on this diet anyway. Lamb is sooooo fatty, but it is my favourite, so I probably will go for that.

Thanks again

Fianna

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Corn is one of the worst vegetables. It’s practically a fruit it’s so high in calories and carbs. There are 365 calories and a nose-bleed inducing 74 grams of carbs in a 100 gram serving. My total daily carb limit is 20 grams. Granted, that’s very low. Many people on the forum aim for 50 grams or so a day. Less than a cup of corn will blow any such limit out of the water.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

BuffyLover, I’d skip the polenta alltogether. It’s made from cornmeal.

on

Hi there
    This became really challenging last night. I woke up at 2 am… sooo hungry. I had done weight training so I could feel my body bad.
    At the end I got up and ate some full yogurt. Was that OK? or do you champions have further advice.

I have also felt very very tired, need to go to bed at around 8pm. And cold, so thanks for posting because then I understand it’s normal.
    But besides that I’m doing well. During the day energy is ok and not too hungry.

I’ve been reading some more so understood that apples might be alright for later (not 800 but 5:2) but not for now. That fat is more important. I only eat it in yoghurt and olive oil. Love butter but with bread, so not applicable right now. So how do you guys do it?

I went to the supermarket and bought lots of low carb veggies. The potatoes, rice and bread are gone of my shopping list.
    That’s going well. Also bough full yoghurt. So thanks for all your info. Willing to learn….

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Butter is great with vegetables, particularly mashed ones, and peas etc. I also like creme fraiche and cream with some vegetables, also don’t forget avocado’s and olive oil as diet friendly fats. With the exercise, I would save something with protein from your calories for eating after your workout. On my main exercise days I use a home made protein shake with chia seed for omega 3 fats and raw cocoa for flavour and have half before and half after my workout, I have never had any problems with waking up or feeling bad. This worked so well I still do it now I am on maintenance ๐Ÿ˜€ Full fat yoghurt was a good choice when you woke though, plenty of protein, and easy to digest.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Gotta have a dab of butter in the pan to make a great omelette or fried egg. Cheese makes a good filing snack too. Lower in carbs than yogurt, high fat, moderately high in protein. It’s also high in calories, so you have to weigh it out to be sure it doesn’t send your totals soaring.

• posted by Fianna
    on

Understand about not being sure about apples and sweetcorn. The main text of the book encourages these things, and the mediterranean diet in general, with the M score and all, but when you look at the recipes at the back they actually omit many of these things, or you can’t see how you can add them in and still stay within 800 cals.

On the other hand the main text of the book says to avoid fruits like mangoes, but then there they are in the recipes!

So I understand the confusion.

That’s where this forum, which includes experienced ‘old hands’ is really useful for advice!

I have been slowly getting my previously bought apples and corn-on the cob into the diet, but when they are done, I think I will just have to focus on the berries. And that they will have to be for ‘snacking’ only, as they don’t seem to be incorporated into the recipes. Does that make sense or do they too have to go, in order to follow the recipes and keep within 800?

Thanks again for any advice

Fianna

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Berries always go well with the full fat greek yoghurt for breakfasts or a dessert or snack later. You can also make a type of jam using just the fruit, a bit of water and chia seeds (recipe book? I know it was in the Daily Mail which is where I got the recipe but that was before I bought the book. A friend has it at the moment so I can’t check), which can also be used for a dessert or stirred into porridge. Otherwise using them for snacks is great too. I have been experimenting with frozen yoghurt using fresh berries as well for the summer months.

on

Imho, sweetcorn is a waste of space; a lot of almost pure starch and a tiny bit of roughage; it can go!

Fruit, especially vitamin and flavone rich ones are good on the one hand, as fructose doesn’t trigger insulin release, and also they are very sweet for the calories. On the other hand fructose doesn’t trigger satiety either, and because they are sweet, they are extra yummy and to cap it all easy to eat, so it’s very easy to eat lots of calories, if you don’t keep tabs on them.

There is evidence that fructose causes more insulin resistance than glucose, but in either case it’s in relation to serious over consumption.

• posted by Fianna
    on

Thanks for the advice!

Yes, I’m dumping sweetcorn now. Thank you. How about beetroot? got the feeling it is a baddy also?

I actually think I am fructose intolerant, cant remember why, think a nutritionist I once saw may have said so. I agree about the fructose as I think my addiction to fruit is what caused my type 2 diabetes diagnosis (that and being relatively inactive over a long period die to herniated discs).

So cutting the fruit is for sure the most difficult thing for me on this diet. I’m finishing the current fruit as slowly as poss (will be gone by tomorrow), then sticking to berries (and to stewed rhubarb or gooseberry with my yoghourt and muesli). Maybe I will try a frozen berry yog too!

Weird thing – I stuck at 3.5 kilos loss for the last 2 days, with fat loss also stuck at 0.5% only, but today my fat loss has increased to 3.5%, despite not registering any further weight loss. what is happening here????????????????? Anyone else noticed a big fat loss today?

Good luck everyone!

Fianna

on

HI
    I just wanted to share that I am delighted that I don’t feel hungry. I never thought that could be true for me.
    i treated myself to an orange after dinner tonight since I had calories and carbs to spare.

I don’t weigh myself since it used to trigger such big binges in the past (regardless of if I had lost or gained weight). At the height of my eating dissorder I could weight myself 5 times a day. But reading your posts I do wonder what is happening in my body.
    I must say that I can’t say that I feel a difference in my body or cloths. Do you feel such a thing already?

Happy saturday night….thanks for sharing your journey and wisdom

• posted by Fianna
    on

Hey

thats great about not feeling hungry. Mostly I dont either, though I did today for the first time.

I cant feel a loss in my body, in fact I feel a little bloated (and constipated!) today. But I’m told that my face looks thinner already.

Interesting times!

Take care

Please log in or register to post a reply.