1st August Start – Anyone with me?!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JJfromOz
    on

I started on 2 August. Have so far lost 3kgs and I’m happy with that. Making the review points my milestones so next one is two week review at 16/8. Trying not to be too obsessive otherwise, while still paying attention. At the point of needing to think carefully about menu planning and portion control. I inadvertently had a too big breakfast, but as Sunday, will treat as brunch.
    I can see the attraction of the meal replacement shakes – you don’t have to think about what you’re eating and endlessly calculate calories. And miso soup is my friend.
    Good luck and strength to your arms.
    J

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hello everyone!
    Well today’s a new day. Went a little over my calories last night with the wine.. I’m a little out of control when it comes to managing my alcohol when we have friends over, all is not lost though and in the scheme of things, working out what I had calorie wise including the days food was 1300calories and 39g carbs so nowhere near as bad as I would normally go. Normally I would sink a bottle of wine, then open a second and if I have carb loaded that has been known to have been finished as well so actually, not too bad for me. No more alcohol now for me until Thursday when I am attending a gin night!!! Arrgghh!!

I weighed in this morning and am 5lbs down since Tuesday morning so going well and I have dropped under my previous lowest weight. The scales also flickered on the 12st13 mark which is my next goal so that has massively spurred me on to be v v good!

It’s a lovely day here today so I think I’m going to go somewhere for a walk, maybe down to the coast. Burn some of that wine off!!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend, happy Sunday everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

Much love
    Rebecca :o) xx

• posted by Fianna
    on

Darn, the ‘fat loss’ on the scales has gone. Must have been fluid retention (% fat is measured by water resistance). A good Sunday’s dieting to you all

• posted by Fianna
    on

wow 3kg and 5lbs lost – brilliant!!!!

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Morning everyone,
    How was the weekend for people?

I managed to get through reasonably unscathed I think but today is a new week so I am much looking forward to that. I think I have drunk too much tonic this weekend as I am rather bloated. Does anyone have any suggestions of a non fizzy drink with a strong flavour to have in the evenings? I drink Rose Tea a lot but somehow in August you don’t want a hot drink in the evenings.
    Eggs, for brekkie (standard), chicken salad for lunch, nuts for a snack this afternoon and then Pork and Mustard from Michael’s recipe book tonight with roasted med veg. looking forward to that – yummy!!!

Hope everyone is having a good Monday so far….!

Much Love,
    Rebecca :o)
    xx

• posted by JJfromOz
    on

Habit change is hard! I’m motivated to do this because I can see the results when I weigh myself, but on an hour by hour basis, it’s hard to concentrate on making choices that contribute to the outcome I’m after. Dahl and rice for dinner tonight – too much rice on my plate which sent my calorie intake well over 800. Damn! The pull of habit is strong. How are you all going with changing your behaviour?

It’s only three months and I’m nearly a week into it, but it’s 3 MONTHS!!

All the best for this week.
    ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hai JJfromOz
    My advice would be to ditch the rice completely, as it is high in carbs and not helpful on the BSD. I would even approach the Dahl with caution, although if you are vegan of vegetarian, you will obviously need these. Veggies or salad would be a better option than rice – have you tried cauli-rice? Easy to make and a yummy alternative.

It takes awhile to get used to thinking outside the box when it comes to planning meals and to get your head around the high fat/low carb mindset needed for the BSD. We are no longer low fat/high carb eaters. As you say, breaking old habits is tough, but it can be done.

Another snippet of advice is to stop thinking in terms of this being for 3 months. Plan for each week as it approaches, take each new day as a blank sheet and record your progress so you can see how far you have come. Set some mini-goals to hit along the way, so that final achievement doesn’t seem so monumentally impossible. And lastly, start to think in terms of this way of eating becoming your new normal, because we can’t go back to the old ‘normal’, unless we want to undo all we have achieved.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

ButtyLover, have you tried infusing pieces of fruit in cold water, or having your herbal teas cold? If making with cold water you need to steep them for quite awhile, or of course you could make with hot water and leave to cool – takes some time too, so either way you need to think ahead on these options. Or how about sparkling water with a good squeeze of lemon or lime – very refreshing.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Buffy, I saw a drink you might like but I might not remember it correctly, here goes –

8 glasses of water (64 fl oz), half a cucumber peeled and diced, one lemon thinly sliced, a chunk of fresh ginger grated, mix it all together, leave to steep over night and drink though out the evening or whenever.

I’m going to try it instead of plain water. I will look for the recipe again tomorrow to make sure I have it right.

• posted by JJfromOz
    on

Thanks SunnyB, day by day is good advice for me. And I will ditch the rice. I’m pretty sure it’s a big part of the reason the scale didn’t move this am.

Today, to control my calorie intake, I’m sticking with meal replacement shakes and reviewing my approach to meal planning.

J

• posted by wibbly
    on

May I join? 70 years old, still working sedentary job, pulled piriformis muscle last year so exercise curtailed, also managed to develop HBP, AF, and COPD. Gave upon everything but work: result 101kg (15st 12lb) on 5ft 9inch body which now resembles a pregrnant slug with puffy ankles…Decided to go law carb last month to address this – found MM BSD website, got the books, had sugar checked yesterday- borderline pre-diabetic, warfarin adjusted up (must be all those greens).

Finding 800 cals a bit hard (averaging 813) as nuts v.high so omitting them for future (unless very miserable). Fortunate in not having sweet tooth but unfortunate in loving a couple of beers and home made pizza and also being quite a good cook. What is it with supermarkets? Walked round one yesterday, coming out with asparagus and baby courgettes, but found that 90% plus of goods on display would fall outside the ambit of even Med diet maintenance. Easy to ignore the breakfast cereals/crisps/cake etc but damn those nectarines looked good…

Can anyone explain how to use nut flour and still stay on 800 cals? Almonds seem to be 574 for 100 gms.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Almond flour as a substitute for wheat flour is really more suitable in keto diets which scrupulously avoid counting calories. I’ve come to embrace it as an accent rather than the bulk of any given recipe. It makes a fine breading, for instance, to coat a chicken cutlet or filet of fish, because it’s easy to limit to the amount used. If you’re trying to make faux breads, you have to mix it with veggies and/or other flour subs like flaxmeal, psyllium husk, oat fiber or coconut flour. Lupin flour is my most recent discovery. It’s made from the beans, not the colorful flowers, and is so high in fiber the carbs net out. It makes a very yellow bread with something of a cornmeal texture. Quite tasty and believably bread-related.

Have you tried making breads and pizza crusts from vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli and zucchini? There’s a recipe for broccoli “bread” in the recipe section of this site. I haven’t tried it but several BSDers have commented that they liked it. This is by far my favorite of the caulipizzas: https://detoxinista.com/the-secret-to-perfect-cauliflower-pizza-crust/.

• posted by wibbly
    on

Did try cauliflower rice. Flavour overcame accompanying ingredients.Not impressed. However found it tandooried a treat so made a mini chicken breast a huge dish. Will worry about pizza base when I can afford the cals for all that lovely gooey cheese…

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi all,
    1 week in and 5lbs down. The scales flickered in the next stone bracket again this morning but didn’t quite get there. Onwards and downwards! Thats the first target , 12st 13lbs… then the next after that is 12st7lb….! Good to have a focus methinks!!

Sunshinegirl/SunnyB – Thanks for the advice… think I’m going to try some infusions tonight to have something different. I bought some flavoured coffees last night to try to break it up a bit and I sat with my rose tea and that got me through – although the same every night will be boring. Time to experiment!!!

Wibbly I like cauli rice but I always fry mine. It gives it a much better flavour otherwise it can be a bit bland and just taste white. I know a colleague of mine makes a mean “savoury rice” with it by chucking in a load of veg etc….

Onwards and downwards people!!!
    Much Love
    Rebecca ;o) xx

• posted by wibbly
    on

Thanks BuffyLover I’ll try frying it and also making it savoury. Congratulations on hitting first target. Meanwhile back to the curry veggie recipes…Not only downwards but inwards – somewhere in there under the blubber is the 9stone size 12…

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, the one thing I missed out of the drink recipe (lemon, ginger etc) was mint leaves, 12 mint leaves and one teaspoon of dried mint which will re-hydrate over night.

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi everyone…
    I have reached my first target this time round!!! That big elusive 12st 13lbs on the scales!!! I am so happy!! That’s 6lbs lost in 9 days, I also retook my measurements this morning as well and since the 1st August my waist has dropped 2cm, my top “roll” 2cm, my bottom “roll” 2cm and my boobs, 3cm!! Goes to show what a difference a week can make!

I was 15st 1lb when I started this diet so to see the scales start with a 12 is something I have been dreaming of for quite a while :o)
    I am absolutely buzzing about this!

Hope everyone is having a good week!!!!

Much love o)
    Rebecca xx

• posted by Alex49
    on

Hi everyone…I will join in with you if I may? I started on 2nd August. 8 days in and 8 pounds lost…Still got a long way to go but it’s a good start. I felt pretty rubbish for the first 2 or 3 days, but my body has acclimatized now. Toughest thing so far has probably been giving up the wine! But already my complexion has improved and I’m sleeping much better, which is a great incentive to carry on ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Yay Buffylover!! Go Rebecca! That is fantastic progress and you must be so so very pleased. All the hard work is paying off and you’ve earned the right to be proud of yourself! From 15 to 12 stone is a huge achievement — well done you!

• posted by wibbly
    on

Well done Rebecca and Ales 49 – most Impressive. I have mastered the 800 target, no too hungry, thank God for asparagus, smoked salmon and new laid eggs. Been digging up soil for new raised bed – so must be burning some calories. I fear given my age I shall lose much more slowly than you youngsters but am quite excited waiting for Monday weigh in at the Drs.

on

Go wibbly! Age is not a deterrent — I am 61 so I fall into the “advanced” category — in age at least, if not wisdom!!

• posted by wibbly
    on

Californiagirl – 61? A mere babe…I am thinking of counting backwards next birthday.

Ambition is to weigh less in kilos than number of years lived by next birthday so may postpone reverse counting.

Thanks for your support. Encouraging forum this.

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

I wasn’t totally sure about beetroot, and until I finally got round to looking up various root veg just now, I had been taking someone else’s word for it that they were all high carb and avoiding them.

In fact, it seems that beetroot and carrots are no worse than blackberries, so I might try going back to eating them in moderation.
    But, I have had clear issues with potatoes and bread and putting on weight, and the carbs in blackberries are mostly fructose, whereas carrots and beetroot have more glucose and starch and I suspect that it’s starch that makes me put on weight the most. I wish more detailed breakdowns of what particular carbohydrates are in a particular food were more readily available, as they are most definitely not all equal!
    The word “carbohydrates” covers an ENORMOUS range of substances, many of which are not digestible by humans. “Fibre” is carbohydrate and not digestible, but it still contributes to the “calorific value” of a food, even though those calories are not ‘bioavailable’, not to humans anyway. Sometimes fibre is given as a separate figure, so it’s fairly easy to take it out of the total carb consumption, as far as grams goes but to take it out of the calorie total as well, you need to do some more calculating with an approximation of iirc 9 calories to 1g of carbs.
    TTBOMKAB none of the nutrition information takes into account bio-availability at all. Cooking in particular dramatically alters the bio-availability of many major nutrients, but putting that aside and going back to carbohydrates:

Potatoes, and parsnips are a bit higher again in carbs than beets and carrots, sweet potato a tad higher still (more carb/calories than mango!), then a big jump to pulses, and an even bigger jump to grains. Pulses have the redeeming factor of being high in protein, but grains have nothing to offer that can’t be got from other edible seeds with a lot less carbs.

I was surprised how low in carbs potatoes are actually, so I am even more inclined to think that starch is the worst of the carbohydrates for weight gain, for me anyway.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I may be wrong Ancient Weaver, but my understanding is that the Fibre element of the carbs has already been deducted from the over all carbs listed on the nutritional panels in the UK. Please bear in mind the substances ending in ‘ose’ are all sugars and also that starch is converted to glucose by our bodies as well. I personally think it may be a slippery slop to try to make adjustments for bio-availability. Far safer to stick with the basic BSD principles, keeping your total carb intake low.

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi everyone,
    Thank you!!!!

I went out to a “gin evening” last evening as friends of mine were running a promotional event and somehow I managed to stay within my calories so I am really pleased. Tomorrow we have got a big German beer festival locally that we are going to so I am going to try and be as calorie sensible as I can be! I will eat before I go out, probably make some home made burgers before going out so that I’m nice and full up, and will then try and be sensible and then pick up the pieces on the Sunday. Got to live occasionally haven’t we! Apart from that I have no more social events until going out for lunch on the bank holiday monday!!

Todays food is/was hard boiled eggs for breakfast, a chicken salad for lunch and then tonight I think we have got a bacon steak from the butchers and I will have that with fresh vegetables. Not something I would normally have but my parents bought them and I feel rude refusing… just one less gin as the calories are quite high.

Roll on the weekend – we can do this :o)

Much Love,
    Rebecca xx

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi there, had a bit of a shock on 8th August when I went for check up (had been so sleepy and forgetful, thought it was peri-menopause) to find out I was 20kg overweight and probably insulin resistant. Luckily Dr fully on board with low carb approach, so bought the BSD book and that was last time I had carbs (apart from the glucose test, which floored me for the rest of the day). Waiting results on glucose test, but some observations on my nearly 2 week carb free existence.

– I had the headache! But only for a day
    – I’m only eating when I am hungry, so often no breakfast until brunch. Have realised lots of my ‘hunger’ was craving, and they’ve gone!!! This is a massive change for me, to be so uninterested in food. I can cut down to two meals a day doing this.
    – because I am feeling so much better I have decided no fruit until I’ve hit the ‘overweight’ mark. I miss apples a bit, but surprisingly little else.
    – 10,000 steps a day. Bit nervous about how the hunger will go once I hit the gym again next week. When I do the steps the weight drops quicker.

Oh, and I am nearlyn2kg down with steady decrease, no cravings and loads more energy. I have started waking up more in the night but I am not tired in the day.

I am pretty sure some of this insulin resistance stuff is genetic, I’ve always struggled with my weight and always been a carb monster. I can see my 12 yo going same way. I wonder how safe the BSD is for teenagers, is there a modified form? She always thinks she is hungry and she is convinced only carbs fill her up.

So upbeat about this approach, it’s really working for me!

Jackie xx

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi there just wrote a massive post and it went missing, so sorry if I turn up twice eventually.

Hi there, I have been low/no carb since 8 August, so hope OK to join in. Have lost 2kg and, more importantly, lost all my cravings. It’s the best feeling! Awaiting glucose test results, think I am probably insulin resistant, possibly since forever as have always been a carb monster.

This approach is working so well for me, my mood is so much better. I wonder if anyone knows whether teenagers can be low carb too, safely. My daughter is always hungry and claims only carbs fill her up. I think that’s cravings, not hunger, as she is given decent food regularly.

Anyway, great to read your posts, very inspiring. I had the headache too, glad to hear that’s normal!

Oh, and if anyone had told me I could give up milky tea I would have laughed at them. I guess that’s what a proper health scare will do for you.

Jackie xx

on

Hi Jackie — I am a fan of the books by the neurosurgeon Dr. Perlmutter — specifically “Grain Brain” — it quotes the same research as the BSD but comes in at it from the neurological health end (BSD diets prevent Alzheimer’s) — he has a whole section on children’s diets and fully recommends low carb/gluten free diets for children. Your daughter will benefit from a BSD type diet (with more calories of course).
    Remember too, this is basically cutting out grains and starch and sugar and all of the related processed foods (breakfast cereal, energy bars, baked goods) most of which contain very little nutrition and are mostly just calories. Also cut out juice drinks and sports drinks and Starbucks type drinks. She would increase her vegetables, pulses like lentils and her nuts/seeds and other high quality foods.
    Her need for calcium can be achieved with cheese and yogurt instead of milk, which is full of lactose (sugar).

• posted by JackieM
    on

Cheers California girl. Of course persuading her will be the big thing. Sigh.

Will have a look at the book though thanks for the reference.

J x

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Fat and fiber. That’s what really fills you up, not sugars and starches. If pizza fills her up, it’s not the crust doing the job. It’s the cheese. She can be a sucker and fall for all the advertising lies about low fat this and energy bars that, or she can inform herself on the science of how carbs are converted into sugar more quickly than anything else. No need to take your word for it. (Since when has any teenaged girl ever listened to her mother?) There are tons of resources out there.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307701646/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_14?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-Unlocking-Secrets-Weight/dp/1771641258

• posted by JackieM
    on

Thankyou Esnecca, now I just need to sneakily leave stuff lying around so she thinks it her idea! I’m pretty firm about what we eat at home (especially now) but it’s the rest of the time. And doing it at home so it’s not a big drama and row.

I’ve lost 2.6kg! Am delighted! Spent yesterday asleep in afternoon, as I think local pubs ribs must have been Marianaded in something sugary (not on menu ๐Ÿ˜ณ) and though I scraped the obvious glaze off it still made me sleepy. But that at least made me extra sure in evening I didn’t want wine when we went to friends house.

I’m not calorie counting, I’m too lazy, just cutting carbs very hard. Met woman at party who’s been low carb/ high fat for 5 years (she’s on 80:20 type maintenance now) she looked amazing! Very inspiring.

• posted by RitaRyvita
    on

I started two weeks ago, although I’ve only started to run a BSD Food Diary since last Sunday (it finally arrived in the post, the previous day). So from last Sunday (where I splurged on wine at a birthday party) to this Sunday morning, I’ve surprised myself and lost 6 lbs 9 oz (but I count that as having lost about 3 lbs per week for the two weeks)

Looking in the mirror though, I look exactly the same – jowly face and double chin, big fat upper arms (loathe my arms), although my waist feels a bit trimmer. I think this weight loss could become addictive – I look forward to losing even more of the bad stuff

Towards the end of this week, I finally started managing to get the daily calorie intake in under 1000. My next challenge is to work it so that I come in under 800, but it’s quite difficult, I do feel very hungry a lot of the time, and I drink more water to try to compensate for not snacking or grazing

It’s bloody hard work! But I feel I’ve made a small breakthrough, so will stick with it. OH is following the BSD with me, as far as is possible (excluding his hard-to-avoid work lunches), but he’s noticed his waistline becoming a little more trim as well!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hey RitaRyvita

I can’t see any loss yet, apart from less stomach overhang (eurgh!) but I like to think that’s because its internal fat leaving my pancreas and liver, which will make it easier later. Best of luck! I wonder why you are hungry though, most posters seem to think it wears off fairly quickly and that is my experience – maybe someone further down the BSD road can help? Xx

• posted by JackieM
    on

Oh, and I know 800 is the magic number, but I think that is more a minimum to go to, as in I am sure you will still lose weight on 1000 but it might take a bit longer – but better that tan falling off the wagon? I read that on one of the other forum threads, but it made sense to me (I can’t calorie count, I get too cross and obsessive, I’m just no carbs and eating for hunger)

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Pls can I join in? I am 5.5 weeks in and have lost 6.6kg delighted! I keep carbs to 50g or less – white rice and flour are big trigger foods for me- this does get easier ice they are out the system!

I have a big motivator – I can only qualify for ivf if I get to 72.5kg in the next eighteen days – this will be another 3.5kg off from my last weigh in four days ago – so am doing everything I can.

Plus I am on holiday in Italy – so ten days so far with no pizza risotto etc and only one gelato!! I am enjoying the meats and the tomatoes and fish though so very pleased with myself. Having spent a year trying to lose this weight it feels like a miracle to be on this plan and able to stick to it! Off for my capuccino now- we have just arrived in Reggio Emilia and I have yet to eat my breakfast of two boiled eggs tomatoes and olives – holding out so I can have a fish supper within my eight hour fasting window- great to meet you all!

• posted by lucindafn
    on

Hi,

I’m hopping in to help keep myself motivated and get some feedback please. I’m on my 2nd week, have lost 7lbs, which I am very happy about ๐Ÿ™‚ and would really like to lose another 7lb by the end of the month, which I know is an ambitious target…

I have also started using the treadmill at the gym every day for about an 1 ,1/4 hrs alternating jogging and walking to do a brisk 5-6 miles with the aim of eventually jogging the whole way. I normally do 3 pilates classes a week. I know the next 7lbs will be a lot harder but ramping up the exercise can only help and progress there helps keep me motivated…I need to add in some more stretching and strength training.

I feel great, what seems to be working for me is: I have 30g of inulin in water/ herbal tea first thing every morning and a multi-vitamin + iron and calcium supplement, eat a high protein meal when I’m hungry (usually at about 11.00ish, have a main meal of lots of veg and lean protein about 6.00ish and snack on whole flax seeds, some salsa etc. as and when. I’m experimenting with a whey protein shake in the evening if my overall protein intake has been low and seem to sleep much better if I do. I’m aiming to keep carbs below 50g and protein around 70g. Most of my fat comes from butter and cheese, not the healthiest but what I like! I use Myfitnesspal app on my phone to keep track of everything.

I to drink at least 2 litres of water, green tea etc. and try for 3-4 litres. I mix the green tea with other herbal teas, rose water etc. to keep it more interesting and add a bit of ‘Truvia’ the stevia based sweetener if I feel like something sweet.

Reading this through, it looks very goody two -shoes, which I am definitely not, I have a real weakness for alcohol, fats and carbs and am naturally slothful but I’m determined to make a change as I’m 54 in September and want to be as fit as I can be for the next 25 years ๐Ÿ™‚ I know that if I fall off the wagon and have a significant amount of carbs, it’s much harder and alcohol is a disaster. I’m sensitive to carbs and go through the whole crash in blood sugar thing if I eat them carelessly.

Any ideas, comments on ways to improve, gratefully received. Sorry to witter on but I feel really inspired reading the posts here and find getting into the science quite motivating.

Also I’d really recommend the inulin first thing in the morning, it makes quite a nice drink and is filling, (probably best to start with a small amount and work up from there) so thought it worth sharing.

Best of luck to everybody, my sister and brother-in-law did this diet after I bought them the book and he reversed his diabetes and is now off meds and hugely healthier, so anything is possible!

• posted by AudreyMc
    on

Good morning,
    I know I’m a bit late but can I still join the challenge?

Thanks,
    Audrey

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi Audrey!
    Never too late! The more the merrier!!!

This weekend hasn’t been too bad considering I was at a beer festival etc.
    Friday night was fine, Saturday I did have a bread roll with my healthy homemade burger which was bad but I needed the bulk as I did drink 6 pints!! Oops!!!! Still, onwards and downwards.. will be back to the tonic water this week, lots of nice meals and healthy snacks!
    Eggs boiled for tomorrow’s breakfast, chicken salad made and steak and salad for tomorrow’s tea!

Lamb cutlet from the butchers with veg tonight, had a nice chilli chicken salad at lunchtime and I obviously had my eggs for brekkie! I don’t feel I start my day right if I don’t have my hard boiled eggs!!

Next goal, I want 3lbs off this week so I want to be 12st10 by next tuesday so 8 days… doable most definitely.
    I live with my parents and they go away on Thursday so next weekend it’s just me catering for myself so nice and simple! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend, tomorrow is a new week… let’s do this! Xx

Much love :o)
    Rebecca xxx

• posted by AudreyMc
    on

Hi Rebecca.
    Thanks! Sounds like you’ve had fun!

My goal is to be below 179 within the next 6 weeks on the 800 calorie program. I go on vacation on October 1st so I’ll actually only be on the program for about 6.85 weeks total.

My starting weight is 196 (14 st). I don’t really have any blood sugar issues – yet but diabetes runs in my family and my weight is in the obese range now. 179 will put me overweight.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Audrey

• posted by DutchJamesy71
    on

Please can I join too?

I’m T2D, 45. Lost 30 lbs last year in about 3 months doing low cal & low carb.
    Have since stalled as dropped the low cal part of the diet. The nice thing about low carbing to my heart’s content was never craving anything really. BUT, I need to lose at least another 2 and a half stone. My HbA1C went up from 53 to 59; I really need to get control!
    I’ve been playing around this week with 800 calories p/day and must say I’m finding it tough: I’ve had a few mini binges ๐Ÿ˜
    I’ve got to re-focus and get through those first three days…
    The forum has been a great help and v motivating. It’s my 46th bday on the 22nd of October and wouldn’t it be great if I could be a couple of stone lighter by then.
    Starting tomorrow. Here goes…
    Xxx

• posted by wibbly
    on

Off to be weighed tomorrow and to have my bloods checked. No headaches and now finding 800clas a stroll – except the one day I ate 69 cals of grapes and could have eaten the doormat a few hours later. Today had smoked salmon and scrambles eggs for breakfast, tandoori chicken for late lunch, can’t face dinner so should end up on 584cals. I allow 64 cals for milk in tea or I would never get moving in the morning. Yesterday I was full of energy but today very lethargic. Managed 20 minutes shovelling in the garden and a short bike ride. Full of envy for you youngsters heaving weights about.

Tomorrow is a new week – good luck everybody in the vanishing stakes.

• posted by Cassie
    on

Hi everyone. Just been sat here ready all your posts and you’re all so inspiring am I ok to join the group? I know I’m late to join but I’m pretty desperate for change. 3 stone to lose but need to take it one day at a time – one hour even for me at the moment. So day one tomorrow arg excited and apprehensive – so need this to work. Thought I’d make a habit and write down what I’m gonna eat for tge next day every eve and sticking to only that. Looking forward to more of your posts. ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Morning Messyhen. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I agree; the posts are all v inspiring. Day 1 for me too!
    ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿป๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿป

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Good luck messyhen and Dutch James. I am nearly week 6 – my tips are-

1. Try to wait Andre at first meal later in the day – say 10/11 and last meal by six pm

2. Fruit and some veg have much more carbs than others – try to focus on veg that grows above the ground- you want to keep carbs low.

3. Drink as much water as poss to flush out the system – this is how fat leaves your Body so it is important. Plus if you have cellulite I just tell you – all the water has done wonders for mine!

Keep us posted on how you get on – we are in our van in Italy – off to Bologna today!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hey there everyone, I lost some more weight! Yay! I get on scales every morning and it’s gone down by at least .1 of a kilo every day. So now I am 73.9kg down from 76.6kg when I started two weeks ago.

I had wondered if that would be the case as yesterday I had three meals whereas up to now I’ve been skipping breakfast, but I woke up hungry. Yesterday I had Greek yoghurt and nuts, then at lunch I ate at a burger place and had a massive cheeseburger without the bread, but still lots of cheddar cheese and I’ve been keeping away from that. Dinner was a beef salad with spinach, spiralised courgette, feta cheese, peppers, tomatoes and olive oil/balsamic dressing, topped off by 2 pieces 85% chocolate. I could never stomach that before, it tasted like cardboard, but last night it was delicious and only 19g of carbs in the whole 100g (and I only had a 1/5th of that!)

10000 steps achieved yesterday, though maybe that’s what saved me!

Last time I lost a lot of weight was through hypnosis – one of the things that stayed with me was the visualisation, where I had to imagine myself at desired weight. I used to imagine myself wearing white jeans without big clumpy cellulite legs, and I’d try to do that whenever I was near a trigger food. Not had to do that so much this time as not tempted in same way (I really think getting carbs out of my life is a forever thing for me, but that’s because I feel so much better without them).

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else had a ‘desired thing’ – not just a number on the scales but something they hope they can do/wear once the fat has gone?

• posted by Cassie
    on

Hey DutchJames – good luck on your day one Whohooo!!

And thanyou OneToWatch for the advice!! Water water water – will take that onboard defo ๐Ÿ™‚
    Girls holiday early September so I have the motivation now just need to keep the belief that this might just work for me.

on

Thanks everyone for the advice!
    Keep it coming ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

X

• posted by wibbly
    on

Feeling a bit glum. A week measuring/weighing/calculating – weighed in today by Drs – have lost 0.4k (i.e.less than 1lb). Have averaged just under 800 a day – some days a little more some days less. Have taken more exercise. Did anybody else have a very slow start?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey wibbly, please don’t be disheartened. We are all different and our bodies all behave a little differently. I am a slow loser, so very rarely see much more that a pound loss for a week’s effort – it happens occasionally, but not as often as I would have liked. Embrace the 0.4k loss as a positive step in the right direction and keep going. It’s worth checking your hydration is high enough, as drinking enough makes a surprising difference to weight loss and also have a look at the carbohydrates present in your calories. Not all calories are equal and those spent on carby foods might well slow things up. Try to stick with low carb foods and just be aware that some foods are higher than expected in carbs and so are best eaten in very small amounts, or completely avoided.

Good luck with the next week and hope you will be able to post a bigger loss next time.

• posted by wibbly
    on

Thanks SunnyB – I am drinking more water than the average trout and my only naughty food was 100gms of grapes on one occasion. Everything else was either meat/fish or greens with some yoghurt (full fat no sugar as home made). I think my expectations were a bit high from what I have been reading on here -so it is comforting to know that I am not alone in being trapped in a super efficient body – i.e.runs on less fuel than any average dieter.!

Onwards and downwards…

Please log in or register to post a reply.