ZOOMERS! TO AUGUST AND BEYOND!! – 4 WEEK CHALLENGE ENDING 7 AUGUST

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Pancita
    on

CaroThomas – well done you, and what a great endorsement of this way of eating
    Congratulations, wishing you continued good health.

• posted by toddy_67
    on

I take a multi-vitamin, a selenium, a CoQ10 and a fish oil. I know there are studies showing the fish oil’s a waste of time but I figure it can’t hurt. I must look into the magnesium too, since several people have mentioned that.

• posted by marie123
    on

Caro – that’s such brilliant news – I’m delighted for you xx

• posted by Ellem
    on

Caro, that’s a fantastic result! Wow, well done.

Toddy, I take the magnesium before bed as I understand it helps with sleep.

• posted by marie123
    on

Toddy, in relation to magnesium, another suggestion is to buy some good old-fashioned Epsom Salts and throw a cupful into your bathwater every now and again. This is what Jason Fung recommends.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

As Pancita flagged up on another thread – the skin is permeable. She says ‘there is is a recognised and reliable transdermal – ie through the skin – route of drug administration. Off the top of my head, hormones (for example HRT, contraceptives, testosterone), pain relievers (fentanyl, lidocaine) dopamine antagonists (rotigogine), anti muscarinics (scopolamine), GTN, even nicotine, are all commonly administered this way’.

When I read this the nerve agent Novichok immediately came to mind. Novichok is so scary as you only have to get a little bit of it on your skin to become very seriously ill.

So a warm bath with Epsom salts sounds an absolutely luxurious way of absorbing magnesium.

• posted by caronl
    on

Carothomas. Just popping in to say many congratulations. Thank you for sharing your fantastic news.

• posted by Amarela
    on

That’a fantastic Carothomas, well done you!

I don’t know what sort of sorcery is going on here but I somehow lost 6lbs this week.
    Very pleased after weeks of slow going, haven’t had a weekly loss like this since the beginning.

Talks of baths in Epsom salts make me miss having a bathtub!

• posted by Anonymous
    on

It has been a very long time since I have posted on here, apologies for the radio silence. I’ve had a few ups and downs and for the time being will be taking a break from the forums. I’m doing much better with this WOE…still have a way to go but will always KOKO. I wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who messaged with support, encouragement and advice…each message has made a big difference in my journey. Thank you all so much. Good luck to you all with reaching your goals, sending you all much love xxx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Wow Caro – what absolutely fantastic news. To reverse T2D in just 4 months is absolutely brilliant.

Amerela – great weight loss this week. Actually it’s not just a great weight loss – it is a stunningly brilliant weight loss.

This week my goal was to stay off the insulin for another week, keep good blood sugars and improve insulin resistance while slowing down the weight loss. On all counts I have been successful. Weight just hovering over 9st – same as last week – which I am very happy with.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

MrsThompson – lovely to hear from you. Great to hear that you are still KOKO.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Caro that is just wonderful news!! What a brilliant outcome and huge congratulations for all your hard work and efforts. “Off meds immediately” is a fantastic thing to hear. You must be feeling so good today! Please continue to post for others who are just starting — your journey is important for others to hear.

• posted by Ellem
    on

My weight loss this week was 1lb, but I’m happy with that, as overall its 16lb total in 6 weeks.

Amarela, 6lbs is brilliant! Way to go!!

Marie, funny you should mention that about Jason Fung and Epsom Salts, as I have just this minute read it in his book 😊

Allie thank you for recommending The Obesity Code, I’ve just started reading it. I jumped straight in on Part 6: The Solution, so now I have to go back and read Parts 1-5 😄

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Is it too late to join! Or best wait tell the August one? If there is one? I only started Monday, good luck everyone

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Not too late to join – you can start anytime.

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Thanks, started Monday and off to a flying start!

• posted by carothomas
    on

Hello!

Thank you for all the lovely comments, I’m still amazed at how quickly I reversed my T2D! For those of you that may be wondering, I’m not yet in my target weight range – I need/want to lose another 21lbs at least, so I’ll still be here 🙂 I’ll have another A1c test in just under 3 months and I’m aiming for as good as or better. To do that, I have to remain committed to this WoE and in fact, have to do that for ever, as you all know! I love the food we get to eat and the vast majority of the time I don’t miss the carbs. It really is fantastic how our bodies adapt and the cravings go. So another question people may have is, did I follow the 8 week plan perfectly the entire time? I know there are some very disciplined people on these forums who do manage this, I was not one of them. Yes, I slipped occasionally (hello crisps, I’m talking to you) but the vast majority of the time I *did* follow it. And when I slipped up I saw it reflected in my blood sugar levels. I still try to ask myself “Is this worth affecting my blood sugars and my health?” before having something I shouldn’t. I do find that exercise and especially running (more like jogging, but you get what I mean) has a fantastic impact, as does drinking loads of water. Two foods I loved prior to this WoE were rice and pasta and I haven’t had them once. Even more amazing to me, I haven’t missed them! On the very rare occasions I’ve had bread I’ve made sure it was sourdough as that does seem to be the least impacting choice. Right, I’ve rambled on enough! Have a great day everyone, KOKO and keep the faith – THIS WORKS!

Caro
    x

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Hi Gill not too late good luck. I am on my second round now and love it.
    😀 Catherine

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Amen Caro
    😀 Catherine

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Well done for being positive. I got annoyed with myself for being grumpy about only 1lb loss but thought no think of the NSV non scale ✌ clothes nice and loose
    😀 Catherine

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Thanks for the tip about Epsom salts
    😀 Catherine

• posted by marie123
    on

Mrs T – hope I’m not too late – I think we all need a bit of a break sometimes. Take care and come back soon x

Amarela – what a great loss – well done that woman!

Hi Gill33UK – and a warm welcome to you. Glad to hear you’re off to a great start x

Elle and Catherine – yes, it’s a useful tip isn’t it. I first heard him mention it on a YouTube interview. He said people with T2 (e.g. me) are often low on magnesium. He also mentioned he throws some into his children’s bath water every now and again. So, I thought if its good enough for the kids, its good enough for me!

Catherine, it’s really nice to hear someone say they love the BSD.

Krysia – pretty much Snap! with where you are.

• posted by sydneysider
    on

Congrats to everyone on their great results!
    I’ve been plugging away for nearly eight weeks now, but plan to continue for quite a bit longer.
    Just had a really strange sensation: It’s my 30th this weekend, and my work put on a lovely for me so I felt compelled to eat a small slice of flourless chocolate cake (my favourite) and cheers with a glass of sparkling.
    The cake was super rich and I enjoyed it… but less than half an hour later, I have a throbbing headache and my face feels all hot. I’m just trying to scull water and get back to feeling normal. I’ve never had a really sweet tooth, but I am shocked at how quickly and how hard this has hit me. I think I have a few more cakes coming my way this weekend, hopefully my body can adjust for the short period!

• posted by toddy_67
    on

Hi everyone, I just thought I’d touch base with you all. For those of you in the UK, how’re you finding the heat? We had terrific thunder & lightening storms last night with more predicted for this evening so sadly we might miss the eclipse of the moon🙁
    I’m KOKO with the diet, but I confess I am longing for an ice-cream and have to quickly turn my head if I see someone eating one. I also found myself picking up oranges in the supermarket just to smell them so I guess I’m missing fruit.
    I seem to be having a fairly slow weight loss week again, but fingers crossed come Wednesday (weigh-in day for me) I’ll be surprised. Isn’t it incredible that we can be eating so little and still not lose? I had a caloric expenditure test done years ago which stated that if I are 1400kcal a day I would remain the same weight. Now I’m eating just over half of that and it’s still a struggle. I guess I’m too impatient.
    I hope everyone is having a good week. Tonight I’m having a chicken stir-fry, please do share your meal tips. I do find them very helpful.

Good luck everyone.
    PS thanks to whomever mentioned the epsom salts bath, I have now purchased them but the thought of a bath in this heat isn’t too appealing

• posted by SueBlue
    on

How is everyone going? Like toddy, I wonder how our UK members are coping with the heat. The temps you have been getting are just average summer temps for us in Australia – a heatwave is usually when it gets to 40-44. At least here we are prepared for it though, most houses and I would imagine almost all indoor workplaces have air conditioning.
    Toddy – how about frozen fruit when you feel like an ice-cream? You could also make up some fruit smoothies with berries and yoghurt and freeze them in ice-Lolly moulds maybe?
    I was home this weekend so have been cooking. I made up a huge batch of vegetable and chickpea curry in my slow cooker, am going to freeze some portions, they’ll make a good lunch or dinner option. I also made some egg
    Muffins – they are another good way of using up left over veg, ham, bits of cheese etc.
    I even made up some little pots with the dry ingredients for The ‘no carb bircher’ breakfast in the book, and some with the apple juice and raisins. So all I have to do is mix them together with yoghurt when I’m ready to have breakfast.
    I’m finding that the more prepared I am the more in control I feel!
    So far this round it’s been a bit up and down for me, a loss in week 1, a small gain in week 2, so I’m hoping that by refocusing I’ll have a loss this week 🙂

• posted by Ellem
    on

Just found a number 8 on my scales! I’d forgotten it had one! End of week 7, and lost 2.5lbs this week. When I stood on them, the scales flashed tantalisingly between 8:13 and 9, so I held my breath and stood very still, and it finally decided to let me have 8:13. Yay! I’ve been eating in a 16:8 pattern this week, which seems to have made a difference. But I’m not diabetic, or on meds, otherwise I dont think I’d be able to do that.

Waist is still more than half my height, so a bit to go (yeah, I know, I’m kinda short 😄) but I’m excited about this WoE, and I’m learning so much from everyone on here.

Have a good Sunday.

Elle

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Ellem – congratulations on finding the 8 on your scales. I found the 8 today also and am 8 stone 13.5lbs. The last time I saw an 8 on my scales was probably 1964. So I am floating on air today.

I do a lot of 16:8, 18:6 and once a week a 20:4. I do agree that it has made all the difference. I have diabetes and I absolutely believe that the restricted time eating plus limiting carbs to 20g has helped keep me in remission and off the insulin.

For any new person reading this post I would like just like to clarify that I did not do restricted time eating while on insulin. I got off the insulin by going low carb and losing weight. In my opinion it is not safe to do it when on diabetes meds or insulin unless under medical supervision.

• posted by LollyT
    on

I love reading about all your progress! It really spurs me on 🙂 And you are all so dedicated, it’s great! To see 8 is a pipe dream for me, I’m just happy to stop seeing 17 on the scales!
    Can someone explain the intermittent fasting to me? I’m not really sure what 16:8 or 20:4 actually means.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi LollyT – I never in a million years thought I would see an 8 on the scales.

The intermittent fasting – or restricted time eating – is restricting your eating in say an 8 hour window and not eating for the remaining 16 hours. Most people skip breakfast and eat lunch and dinner. Luckily you can have a coffee with cream instead of your missed meal or I would never manage it. I prefer to have breakfast and lunch because I work most afternoons and evenings but I think I am pretty unusual doing it that way. 20:4 is eating in a four hour window and not eating for 20 hours.

• posted by Ellem
    on

Krysia, that’s so exciting, you must be delighted. Woohoo!

LollyT, I’m new to trying the 16:8, and am the same as Krysia in that I can only manage it if I have a coffee with a bit of cream in a morning. I am tending to miss breakfast, eat an early lunch, and then dinner, so I eat within an 8 hour window, as Krysia explained. Somedays I go a bit longer, and some days I eat breakfast.

• posted by caronl
    on

Krysia Many many congratulations!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Congratulations Krysia!
    I have tried 16:8 recently too. I can’t do it every day, but I’m trying for 4 days a week at least. It’s easier on the weekends as I just have brunch and dinner, harder during the week when I’m at work as I need to have breakfast at 6am and can’t eat dinner until 6pm. I have tried taking my breakfast to work and eating it at 9am some mornings, to at least shorten the window of time in which I’m eating. Not eating at all in the mornings is not really and option as I have to take 7 different medications, some of which need to be taken with food, although maybe coffee with cream would be ok.
    I’ve managed to lose 1kg this week, so I’m happy with that. It’s 8 weeks until my birthday and I’d like to lose another 5-6kg by then.
    How is everyone else doing this week?

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Zoomers – How’s everyone getting on? The next 4 week challenge will be upon us from next Wednesday. Would someone like to set the next one up? Perhaps we should give some thought to a new title – the next challenge will take us into September! I really don’t know where this year is going!
    What are people’s thoughts – do you think this self run 4 week challenge has been ok? I guess it’s quiet due to everyone on their annual holidays …. interesting to know what you all think! Meanwhile, have a good weekend when you get to it! 🙂
    Kazzeexx

• posted by toddy_67
    on

Hello Zoomers, Well can you believe we’re coming to the end of this challenge. Like Kazzee I can’t believe it’s flown past. On the whole it’s been a more or less on target month for me. I’m just one pound away from losing my second stone and hopeful of achieving this by Wednesday. That will be the end of my eight weeks but I won’t be stopping. I’ll be carrying on for a good while yet as I have at least another three stone to lose then hopefully move to something like the 5:2 approach.
    How is everyone else doing? How do you find the forums? I confess I find that a bit hard to navigate – different topics seem to gain life/grow.
    Please check in before this thread is closed.

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Hi ooh yes need to set up a new one as found it helpful. It’s hols season so that’s probably why quiet but I find it really useful to read comments so am defo up for another stint
    😀 Catherine

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Hi Toddy good luck and hope you achieve your goal by Wed. I also find it hard to navigate but now I get email alerts to topics I am interested in this helps.
    😀 Catherine

• posted by Ellem
    on

Eight weeks ago, when I started out on this journey, I was anxious. I was worried about how it would feel to eat only 800 cals, it seemed so little. I wondered whether I could make it through 8 weeks. But I read about other people’s amazing successes, which motivated me to give it a go.

I made a note in my diary as to how I was feeling, and here is what it says: blood pressure is up, I ache all over, pains in my joints, I get out of breath, my face looks red and round, I’m bloated, lethargic, cold, depressed, tired, feel like I am suddenly ageing, my clothes don’t fit, I am hiding under baggy clothes, I hate getting dressed because none of my nice clothes fit. My wedding ring is tight. I am scared about where this is heading.

8 weeks later, and things are very, very different. The bloating has gone, my face no longer looks round and red. My muscle aches and joint pains have gone. I have more energy, I am happier. I have more focus, and can think more clearly. I feel younger, and being back in my smaller clothes makes me feel like a different person. Blood pressure is down. I enjoy getting dresssed because I have lovely clothes to choose from that fit again. My wedding ring is no longer tight.

The emotions, the feeling of improving health and wellbeing, they are what makes this WoE so valuable. That being said, I find the numbers interesting, and I love reading other people’s numbers, so I’ll put mine in.
    Weight: was 10st 3.5, now 8st 12, 13.6% of bodyweight lost.
    Waist is 13cm smaller. Clothes size, was UK14/16, now size 10.
    BMI: was 26.1 now 23.1 (height is 5’1”)

What next? I haven’t done well with exercise; I’ve dabbled a bit, but nothing consistent. I also have lower back pain and weak muscle strength that I need to address. And I still have fat around my middle that needs to go, for the sake of my health. The test of any weight loss is the long term results. So, I’ll keep reading, keep learning, and am going to try intermittent fasting. I have the same feelings that I had prior to starting the 8 weeks: slightly anxious, wondering whether I can do it, scared of failure. And scared of putting it back on. But there is so much out there now on why we get fat, what works and what doesn’t, and this forum is an amazing source of support and information, so all the tools are there for me to make this work. I just have to do it.

Elle

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Ellem – i just loved reading your post this morning. What you wrote is exactly how I feel about this WOE. Congratulations on doing so well. You have really done well – a great achievement.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Ellem,

Well done on your success, I just listened to a podcast which may shed some light on ideas for your way forward and have posted a link on the take a look at this thread.

———————-

There was a question asked about a new challenge to run into Sept, and it being so quiet this month. I prefer a 4 week plan that 1 week, so will be up for joining. My workload is super busy in August, but will be back to normal once school holidays is over at start of sept and then I will have time to chat on a challenge thread.

• posted by Ellem
    on

Thanks Krysia, and JGwen, I’ll take a look at that post.

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Hi Ellen so pleased to hear your story you have done so well you mush be so pleased and feel great. I know the feeling about the wedding ring! Let us know how you get on with the intermittent fasting. I am keen to try that next. I still have 3 stone more to lose and looking to get loss moving again. Well done 👍 Catherine 😀

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Hi
    I have been lurking in the background been reading most posts but am not in a good place. Since Losing our dog I don’t find I am walking as much, I begin every day with the best intentions but the minute I eat I can’t stop I am hungry all the time!
    I am not sleeping (nightmares post vet failure to put Maya to sleep have gone) but not going to bed till 3-4am so plenty of time to eat!!!
    Positives …. I am still within 6lbs or less to my lowest weight so even with my holiday (which was nice, Just to have a rest from being my mums Carer which is very intense whilst running 2 businesses & 3 kids all with medical issues at present)
    My blood pressure is down to normal, I have stayed off the pasta & rice & had only a few slices of bread! Till the crisps yesterday a bag of!! I sadly mean a multi pack bag!!
    Anyway….I need to still loose another 35lbs & for 3 years I have got this far then give up I need your help to get back on track I have undiagnosed diabetes had I test never gone back!! I started retaking readings 3 days ago following chocolate & biscuit binge not good but down to 6’s yesterday so need to get this reversed please help xxx

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Ellem Thank you for sharing your story. I know many of us will identify with it, and it is lovely to be reminded of the journey and all the benefits it brings. Keep a close eye on the wedding ring! I had to put a tighter size ring on top to make sure it stayed on!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Denise Susan. It sounds as if you have a lot to cope with at the moment. And it is really encouraging that you are still identifying the positives, despite being in a difficult place.

As a fellow dog owner without a dog (if you see what I mean), I wonder how far the loss of your regular exercise/me-time may be a significant part of the problem? When I am not dog-sitting, I walk a couple of times a week with a friend. Time listening to the trees in the woods is a special kind of therapy.
    You know of course that comfort eating has the opposite effect to that which you seek. If you can afford it, why not treat yourself to some much nicer treats – some smoked salmon, a special steak, a little bit of luxury. A soothing bath might be even nicer, but perhaps more difficult to find the time! Just something to remind yourself that you are worth it, and that you need to put yourself first in order to carry on sustaining all those around you. Wishing you lots of strength.

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Caronl
    Thanks I do have a network of Walker friends but I guess the August thing is an issue & we are struggling to get together. I smiled at the treats comments because I do that & then still go back later for what I know I really wanted!! Yesterday was an especially bad day with the crisps but just shows I am an all or nothing girl & will have to go back to being obsessive. I keep saying I am going to go back to the Newcastle diet I did when I first started in 2016 3 water shakes & veg but having done BSD I can’t do that anymore!! I need a kick up the bum infact probably many I wish we did retreats to reset I need one to get my head in the game!! Thanks again another day and another try xx

• posted by LollyT
    on

Wow, Elle you are doing so amazingly! I love reading about how you’re doing.
    I’m definitely up for another 4 week challenge. I dunno if I could do it without you guys! This is my first 4 weeks and I was doing amazingly until I had to go away for a wedding and I completely fell off the wedding and back to my old eating habits. I’m home again now and back on track and although all the bread and sweets felt good at the time, the bloating and inflammation were almost instant and it’s been a good reminder of why I have to keep going. Just need to lose the 4 pounds I gained (in just 3 days!) and then I won’t feel quite so crappy about it all.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Toddy and Ellem – thanks for your posts. You must both be feeling great! Fantastic achievement. 🙂
    LollyT – well done getting back on the wagon, it’s all part of the learning process.

Anyone got any thread name ideas? Or shall we just up date this one by adding September? If no one is fussed, I’ll do that.

Please log in or register to post a reply.