Working so far!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Robert100
    on

Started 3 weeks ago with readings as high as 20mmol..scary. now have lost 9lbs on the 5/2 and my fasting was 8.4 this morning and average is below 11. I feel so much better an have an optimism I didn’t have before. Loving the recipes and waiting for more. Really pleased this forum is growing and people are waking up

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Good to hear your results Robert100
    It’s amazing how fast this way of eating works, no diet I have ever done had the same fast results.
    Can you see yourself ever going back to carbs the way you used to, for me it’s a complete lifestyle change.

• posted by Robert100
    on

No Bill you are right. My wife and I agree it will be for life. Of course the fact that I love the food helps. The exercising is a habit i am just getting back into after years of a sedentiary lifestyle working in an office.

• posted by georgiarose
    on

Hi Bill and Robert, Hubby and I are getting great results too!
    This is week 3 and we have both lost 6 kgs and my blood sugar has come down into the normal range, under 7 for the past week, and as low as 6.1 and 5.1 post-prandial! Hubby doesn’t need to lose as much weight so we are upping his calories a bit, but he is keeping me on the straight and narrow. I have a good calorie counting app (as mentioned in another forum ) Easy Diet Diary, where I am recording every mouthful a bit obsessively(!), but hubby also estimates portion sizes, reads labels, and does the same calculations to double check. Just found out you can scan labels with this app and get the needed info too.

I also use the Apple Health app to keep track of the daily blood glucose results and weight, which gives nice graphs which are encouraging.

So happy to feel part of a group of determined people. I really believe this will be a life changer. Cheers.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone. Great results from you 😃

I agree that this is for life.

Georgiarose, is Easy Diet Diary for UK or USA? Lots of the apps I’ve seen have more US foods than UK.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi CaptainLynne
    The easy diet diary is Australian. Not sure if you can get it in the UK

• posted by Lynnie62
    on

Hi all, I’ve just started week 3, week 1 I lost 8lbs, and my blood sugar went from 5.8 to 5.7, week 2 however was only a 2lb loss but my bsl had gone up to 6.6😳 which was a shock. For the 2 weeks I’ve felt really hungry all the time but realised (with help from this site) I wasn’t drinking nearly enough. After the initial emotional feelings (upset etc) of my week 2 results and the fact my husband has had 8lbs then 5lbs weight loss (and I’ve got so much more to lose than him, he is doing it to support me) I have realised that this really is a life change for continued good health, I just need help with management of the odd cravings like porridge with fruit, fizzy orange squash being my main 2😊

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi Lynnie62. Read the forums on rising blood sugar levels – stored sugar seems to rise at different points in the diet for different folk. I would keep at it and up the exercise to kickstart the weight loss. Or try mindfulness techniques – you might have seen on these forums folk reporting just how much stress levels can cause big rises and halt weight loss.

But good on you – you have still lost 10lbs and that is not to be sniffed at!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Lynnie62

Well done on progress so far. Blips in weeks two and three seem to be normal – certainly that is what is being reported on other threads and has also been my personal experience. It might be worth just checking that you are keeping the carbs low, in case there is anything you are consuming that it unexpectedly higher than you might realise. It’s possible to make a porridge from any grain, so if you really miss it, why not try making one from quinoa and topping with a few fresh raspberries? The texture would be quite different, but it might work to damp down the cravings. I’m just starting week 4 and really am not missing the sweet stuff at all, so your cravings will almost certainly lessen with time, so don’t despair. You’ll get there, as long as you stick with it … good luck.

• posted by georgiarose
    on

Sorry, It’s for Australia. Forgot we are such a diverse lot!

• posted by Robert100
    on

Great feedback everyone. Week 4 and my fasting is around 8 to 9 and last thing at night as low as 5.5. Only on the 5/2. Much better. Feeling good too. Long walks and lots of exercise biking.

• posted by georgiarose
    on

Good bloods, Robert! I’ve been advised somewhere to avoid too much exercise while lowering blood sugar (on the 800 for 8 weeks). We don’t want a hypo.:-)
    My walks and swims are pretty gentle.

• posted by Robert100
    on

Im keeping an eye on it. On the 5/2 I only do h.i.t on the 5, not the 2 fasting days even then just 10 mins. Otherwise just walking and 20 mins gentle exercise biking while listening to music or watching t.v.

• posted by Chris59
    on

I’ve been following the basic principle of the 8 week diet but have not been limiting myself to 800 calories a day, or even calculating them. I’ve been Type 2 for 5 years and in the past 2 years have struggled with blood glucose levels regularly above 10. in December last year my HbA1c was 91 way too high although an improvement on the 116 the previous year.
    I started the low carb diet at the end of January 16 and by the end of February my HbA1c was 62 after less than 4 week on this diet.
    The nurse has stated that I should revisit in another month to check on blood sugar progress and hopefully review my Gliclazide from 1 tablet twice a day to zero.
    My basic principle is no bread, no potatoes, no pasta and no rice. Meals consist of meat or fish and vegetables or salads, snacks are fruit or raw carrots and celery, with nuts in the evening as required. I have also lost weight and my blood pressure has improved.
    Tins of tuna, salmon and other fish either in a salad or a wholemeal wrap (the only exception to my no bread principle)
    I am so happy that this is working as I was becoming frustrated and disillusioned with my health prospects.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Chris59
    very similar to me, it just works
    Great to hear about the vast improvement in your blood sugar.
    Like I keep saying, the diet works, no need to overthink it.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hello Chris59, Like you, I’ve not been worrying about counting calories. I too have found that a more relaxed approach (eating the right foods, and ditching the dodgy ones, just watching the portion sizes) has worked for me without any angst about calorie-count. I do get peckish but it’s not the same gnawing hunger that used to drive me to the fridge. And I’ve learned that it’s far better to resist the chocolate bars just once, in the shop, rather than have them taunting me in the house. I feel that this is something that I can maintain over the long-term and that the occasional transgression is not going to be the end of the world. Hopefully, I am heading off future health problems. Take care, Rose

• posted by Chris59
    on

Hi Bill
    Thanks for your comments its encouraging to know that others are following this and improving their lives,
    I’ll update this thread as time goes by.

• posted by Chris59
    on

Hi Rose
    thanks also for your reply, I don’t often feel hungry between meals which I thought was odd at first. Chocolate was never an issue with me but it does look nice when my wife has a few squares!!
    Good luck and keep the faith, this low carb diet seems to be the best way to go.

Please log in or register to post a reply.