What's the best advice for a new starter?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Yorkshire Pud
    on

So I bought the 8 Week Blood Sugar Book just after OH was diagnosed as Type 2 but actually want to do the diet for myself more than he wants to. I’m a 45 year old hefty Yorkshire lass (20 stone) and although my blood sugars are well within the normal range, I know I’m heading for trouble if I don’t act now. I’ve tried WW and SW without any real success but reading this book it seems to make sense to me, plus it’s all food I love (hubby much fussier with food so might have a battle on my hands).

I’ve just taken delivery of 4 various Fast Diet cookbooks and am eager to get started, so what’s the best advice for me as a new starter to this diet?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Welcome! Lots of success here and also good advice and support.

For me I would say it is a great idea to use an app such as MyFitnessPal to check your calories and the breakdown of them into (good) carbs, fat and protein, because the values can be really surprising. For example I gave up sugar in my coffee after noticing I could have a fillet of salmon at dinner time for the same calories and how much better was that for me.

If you can keep your carbs below 50g per day, then the BSD will be even more effective.

Hope that helps.

(Ps I am 4 weeks in and 12lbs down of my target 22 and did not have too much to lose. Have really enjoyed it. My breakfast this morning was delicious – raw baby spinach, baby plum tomatoes, whole avocado and scrambled eggs. Mmmmm)

• posted by JCH187
    on

I’m just over the two week mark and my advice would also be weigh and log your food (I also use Myfitnesspal), don’t guesstimate as you’re always wrong! I’d also say plan your meals ahead so there’s no excuses to eat rubbish. My final piece of advice is drink plenty of water it really does help!

Good luck!

• posted by Izzy
    on

You’ve had some great advice so far and I would echo it. log everything you eat, plan your meals, drink plenty.

I’d also say try lots of new things, don’t be scared about experimenting, and read and post here. Valuable advice and support everyday 🙂

Sugar free gum also helps me along, and copious amounts of water and herbal tea.

courgetti and cauliflower rice I’ve been pleasantly surprised at…

Good luck 🙂 and welcome.

• posted by Yorkshire Pud
    on

Thank you for your advice, I’m actually looking forward to starting!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Hi Igorasusual, I just worked out that for your sugar calories (in coffee) to be that same as, say, a modest 100g fillet of salmon you would have to have been having around 13 teaspoons of sugar! Or is that 13 cups of coffee with 1 teaspoon each lol.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

You’re right – 6 cups of either tea or coffee a day, with two spoonful. Sounds reasonable?

840 spare calories per week!

Or a salmon fillet (just an example 100 odd calories)

Given it up. Yay!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Wow congrats on giving up that much sugar! That is something I have really struggled with, even though I only had one teaspoon twice a day in my tea. You’re right, that’s a lot of extra calories to spend elsewhere.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Thank you, Natalie – yes, I’m pleased with myself.

I’ve been told, variously, that it takes either 30 days, or 6 weeks, not to notice the loss….I think I’ll be 6 weeks. But the good thing is that I’ve continued to drink the coffee, without sugar, rather than give up coffee entirely as I don’t like the taste unless there’s sugar in it.

But I have to say, in retrospect, the sugar was evidently the main incentive for my drinking it…..

• posted by Natalie
    on

Lol I’m the same with tea. I guess I really wanted the sugar! I’ve tried to give up a few times and find myself just not drinking tea at all, which makes me sad because I love the calming ritual. I bounce between no sugar, one sugar, half a sugar, no tea at all… I stuck with forcing myself to drink tea without sugar for around six weeks in hopes of getting used to it – it wasn’t quite so bad but I still went back to half a teaspoon once the BSD was over.

Please log in or register to post a reply.